On the carpet with Maisie Williams and Rose Leslie
By Ours is the Fury on in Events, Press.

For our second round of interviews from the red carpet, WiC checks in with the actresses who portray two of the fiercest women in Westeros, Maisie Williams and Rose Leslie.

roseFor Leslie, the pressure was on when she joined Game of Thrones in its second season as Ygritte, the fiery wilding who drives Jon Snow to distraction. Her preparation for the role included reading the A Song of Ice and Fire books.

“To read the books, it certainly helps me to get into the character of Ygritte more. It colors it.  And I do feel the pressure, because you don’t want to upset the fans and you also want to try your best to portray what everybody sees whilst they are reading the book. I feel that if you think too much about that then it’s going to be…a losing battle, certainly.”

When asked about the wildlings beyond the Wall, Rose speaks passionately of the wildling culture and its women.

“I think that as a wildling woman, you’ve got to be incredibly harsh and brutal and stick up for your own. I think that they’re true warriors, they are true fighters,” Rose explains. “They’ve got to live in this brutal, hard landscape, and they’ve got to control their men and control their children. I think that they as a result are incredibly powerful and they’re a force to be reckoned with. Ultimately, they’re warriors, they’re fighters and you don’t want to get on the wrong side of the wildling woman!” She smiles with a wicked glimmer in her eyes that would do Ygritte proud.

Maisie Williams, on the other hand, is miles away from Arya Stark when she’s on the red carpet. The first thing Maisie does when we meet is apologize sweetly for stepping on the press sign at our feet. After reassuring her that she can do whatever she likes to the sign, we jump into discussing a subject that pops up a lot in Game of Thrones articles – the constant comparisons of Arya and her sister Sansa.

“I think we’re both very misunderstood. I think that we can learn a lot from each other,” Maisie says. “Arya gets herself into trouble a lot for saying what she thinks, and I think Sansa could learn a bit from that by not doing what she thinks is best for other people…But yeah, I don’t think – you can’t compare them, they’re so complex as characters. They’re so different. But yeah, they could learn a lot from each other. And they have traits that I think each other could benefit from.”

With no encouragement needed, Maisie dives into praising her costar and TV sister, Sophie Turner.

“Sophie’s doing fantastic things. I think, like, if people don’t like Sansa, she’s doing her job right…It’s kind of a hard thing to explain. She’s doing fantastically. People aren’t supposed to like the decisions she makes, but I think she’s kind of naïve and she’s making decisions someone of her age would make.” Maisie nods emphatically. “She’s the most believable character there.”

The actress refers to this coming season as her “favorite season to film.” This year, Arya encounters a colorful new batch of characters, but she was happiest to see the return of her costars Joe Dempsie (Gendry) and Ben Hawkey (Hot Pie) during filming.

“I think it’s nice to just come back and see Joe and Ben again. I have so much fun with those guys; they’re so funny and they keep me entertained all the time.”

maisie With the show heading into its third season, I can’t help but wonder how Maisie has adapted to the change, becoming famous while still in her teens. Has her life changed significantly?

According to her, it hasn’t.

“At home, when I’m with my friends, behind closed doors and things, I’m just a regular teenager and that’s all I want. I haven’t changed at all. I’m still Maisie, who comes from the tiny little village…that’s no one’s ever heard of. I think it’s nice to go back home. I guess when I’m out in town and things like that, I get recognized. I have to be aware of what I’m doing because people may be watching, so it’s changed my life a little bit, but I haven’t changed.”

With that firm statement, Maisie is off to chat with the remaining reporters before heading in to visit the Game of Thrones exhibit.

The Game of Thrones Exhibition, presented by HBO in partnership with Time Warner Cable, will be in New York City through April 3rd.

1. Grijnwaald
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Hodor

My two favourite girls in all the seven Kingdoms

2. Josla
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 9:02 am | Permalink

First?

EDIT: damnit

3. Yago
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Hodor?

Edit: Damn, internet is sooooo slow here.

4. WinWolf
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Maisie<3

5. Mike Chair
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 9:34 am | Permalink

The status of Mike Chair’s DVR is thus:

9:00PM
    731 AMC The Walking Dead … As the group [blah, blah, blah] Governor [blah, blah, blah] Rick [blah, blah, blah] **Checked for Recording***

899 HBO Game of Thrones Valar Dohaeris **Not Checked***

Highgarden! and

ALWAYS SUPPORT THE BOTTOM!!

6. Alex
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

I cant believe it is only hours left!!!!

7. Summer Is Coming
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

OT: Game of Thrones promotion projected on the building of the Univ. of Architecture in Bucharest, Romania. For the coinciding date of GoT premiere, and EasternEurope Comic-Con! Finn Jonas (Loras) was invited!

This is so unexpected, because I didn’t know GoT was so popular in my country! So happy!

8. Juego de Tronos
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I lIke both of them and theirs characters.

9. Virtus
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

So regarding Ygritte, the battle of Castle Black will probably happen in Season 4, right?

10. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Summer Is Coming,

This is pretty cool!

11. NewJeffCT
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Virtus:

The beginning could be this season, virtus. The main part - with Stannis arriving to save the day – is probably Season 4

12. NewJeffCT
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

was watching Big Bang Theory last night on TBS and saw a great promo – a widescreen shot of all the Unsullied on the march, and the dragons flying above them – looked like it was as they were leaving Astapor or Yunkai, I think.

13. Macha
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Summer Is Coming,

Finn Jones’ panel at EECC was fantastic, he definitely made an impression on everyone there. I wrote a few details here, just scroll up a bit. ;-)

14. Spliced
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Virtus,

Doubtful: it’ll be in Episode 10, and Jon Snow will be holding her (right before he goes to the top of the wall to see the Wilding Army at the gates) in the last shot.

15. Summer Is Coming
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Macha,

Thank you for this!

16. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I don’t know whether it’s been mentioned here but the Toronto Sun ENT section today confirmed The Lord’s Kiss from Rose Leslie herself.

17. JoeMobes
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

18. John W
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

It’s Game of Thrones Day! Winter is Here! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!!

19. Mike Chair
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

JoeMobes: Just want to say happy Easter and happy season 3 to all GOT fans! I know that tonight I will be dining a feast for crows to celebrate a storm of swords!

Happy Easter. Clarification please. You actually will be eating crows, or you’re describing your diner’s/guests as crows? Either way, it’s fine with me. I’m just curious.

20. Turncloak
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

The previews confirmed that

21. greg
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

It’s painfully obvious that you are trying to be like FaB

22. JoeMobes
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair: Happy Easter.Clarification please.You actually will be eating crows, or you’re describing your diner’s/guests as crows?Either way, it’s fine with me.I’m just curious.

Mike Chair,

The guests are crows in this context i suppose! haha I know bad attempt at humor, but hey just trying to have a little fun! :)

23. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

The previews confirm of some sort of ecstasy on her part just not the particulars.

24. Arthur
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

Lol…

My DVR is crazy tonight. Sundays are just so damn good now.

Watching GoT at nine so DVRing Shamless.

Watching Vikings at 10 and DVRing it.

DVRing GoT 11pm airing while watching it again.

1) GoT
    2) Vikings
    3) Shameless

All Sunday night… Staying home on Sunday nights is where it’s at!!!

25. Abyss
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

greg,

Is that supposed to be a joke? The styles are worlds apart, both formal and wording wise.

26. Marty Spinner
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Summer Is Coming,

Thanks for sharing, absolutely spectacular.

27. Arthur
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Summer Is Coming,

Wow!

That was freaking awesome! I’d of paid to see an event like that. How did they do that? Computer projector and sound system? Was amazing!

28. Mike Chair
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

JoeMobes,

That’s okay. My crows just finished eating. Now, I’m trying to watch the GoT Season 2 marathon without my 10-year-old niece seeing. My crows are too loud for it to be audible above their din. BTW, I advise that when watching GoT episodes for the second and Nth times, turn on the closed captioning. The same applies to Two and a Half Men.

29. Arthur
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Summer Is Coming,

Geez that computer projector/sound system playing on the side of a building is pretty powerful. HBO should really take note of this and use it in NYC for next season or something.

Think of how HBO can grow and use that marketing concept in US cities…

Would be pretty freaking epic!

30. kvothe
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

omg!!! game of thrones is trending in india on twitter!!!!!!!!

31. JoeMobes
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

Yeah I’m over at my girlfriends house and her family is very traditional so any sex scene requires an immediate change of channel and the volume is kept somewhat low also

32. Alchemist
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

There is an amusing contest here:
    Arya vs. Xena.

Arya is winning, but the competition is fierce.

Perhaps we should keep Xena in our prayers, and give her the gift of the Many-Faced God.
    Valar Morghulis.

You can vote more than once.

33. Arthur
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Alchemist,

Haha that’s great!

Just voted for Arya Stark!

34. MX
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Maisie is such a sweet person! I hope she stays that way…

35. Hollyoak
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    Mike Chair,

Lol…

My DVR is crazy tonight.Sundays are just so damn good now.

Watching GoT at nine so DVRing Shamless.

Watching Vikings at 10 and DVRing it.

DVRing GoT 11pm airing while watching it again.

1) GoT
    2) Vikings
    3) Shameless

All Sunday night… Staying home on Sunday nights is where it’s at!!!

LOL, Sounds exactly like me. But I’m only recording Walking Dead. I’ll catch Vikings OnDemand. I used to watch Shameless but stopped.