MGoT: Behind the scenes of S3
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming.

Daenerys on a boat

A new Making Game of Thrones post from Cat Taylor gives us a peek behind the scenes of the first three episodes of season 3.

If you’ve been following the blog, the opening scene may have seemed a little familiar. An ending for us was the beginning for you—that opening was shot on the very last day of filming in Iceland.

Other travellers: The first time you see Daenerys, she is on the deck of a ship sailing over open water. In reality, the ship was built in Banbridge for a very different purpose. Because Production Designer Gemma Jackson and her team have super powers, you probably didn’t notice that ship spent a good deal of the Battle of Blackwater on fire. It was the only scene that Emilia Clarke shot in Belfast this season; everything else was on location in Croatia and Morocco. It took one day.

In the second episode, “Dark Wings, Dark Words,” Bran has a dream in the woods. It was a two-splinter-units-in-one-location day, which always makes things crazy. That’s a real raven Bran is chasing, brought in especially for the scene by our team at Birds and Animals. (From not quite as far as our white raven in Season 2— that bird had to be brought in all the way from Austria!) The main unit was just down the road in Gosford Castle, where we were filming a scene in Littlefinger’s brothel—one from this Sunday’s episode. Daniel Portman (Pod) was having a very busy day indeed with several new friends, including the very bendy Pixie Le Knot. Two ends of the kingdom on a single driveway. What luck.

Even more production tidbits at the source.

Winter Is Coming: I like these posts and am glad that Cat will get to keep publishing them. It provides answers to some of the speculation we engaged in during filming.

1. ebevan91
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 9:31 am | Permalink

le Hodor?

2. D'Arcy
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Hodor Hodor!

3. Easteros bunny
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Hodor hodor hodor!

4. Wun Weg Wun Fun Fun
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink

I just can’t wait for the scene when Brienne kills Jamie, Locke, and Bolton and goes and rescues Sansa to bring her back to Rob and Cat and they return to Winterfell and build up an army combined w/ the wildings and then march south and kill all the Lannisters and then they travel east so they can get away from the white walkers and kill Dany and her dragons and then take over all the free cities and just concede Westeros to the white walkers. I wonder how they will film that under a half season budget?

5. juego de tronos

Posted April 18, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

franco:
    Has the Facebook recap (parody) being posted yet? I can’t find it anywhere

Yep, it’s up!

9. QueenOfThorns
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

I loved the chase scene with Theon, btw. That was some excellent stunt riding. I looked close on my second veiwing and I still couldn’t figure out when it was Alfie and when it was someone else. Kudos.

WHEEEEEEEE!

10. franco
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Isabelle,

11. Lucas
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

QueenOfThorns,

That chase was remarkable! I still can’t get over that synchronized horse jump over the stone fence.

12. Mario
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Wait,there were Daenerys scenes filmed in Croatia this season?

13. egoogle123
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Lucas,

And how was that quick dodge of the branch. I thought that branch was definitely gonna bring Theon down. Great scene.

14. John W
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

The latest issue of TV Guide has behind the scenes photos of GoT.

15. SkywalkerIsDead
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Im thinking maybe Locke will somehow be the one who takes Amory Lorch’s place in the bear pit. I know he is a Bolton banner man, but Roose may give Loche up to make a deal with Jaime. Then again I could be wrong. But someone has to get eaten by a bear, right.

16. Isabelle
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

franco,

You’re welcome : ) For future FB posts, either search for Game of Thrones on that site, or scan the comments section of posts made on Tuesday or Wednesday on WiC. Someone usually posts the link–that’s how I found it, at least.

John W:
    The latest issue of TV Guide has behind the scenes photos of GoT.

Are they available online yet?

17. Lars
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Mario:
    Wait,there were Daenerys scenes filmed in Croatia this season?

Yes, that surprised me as well. I wonder what scenes?

18. Syrio
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

The Astapor and Yunkai scenes of course.

19. John W
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Isabelle,

I don’t think so.

20. Lars
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Lars: Yes, that surprised me as well. I wonder what scenes?

Syrio:
    The Astapor and Yunkai scenes of course.

Well DUH. I was more curious about what specific scenes, as most of Dany’s stuff this season appears to have been shot in Morocco.

21. Isabelle
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

John W,

Darn. Will keep an eye out for the images, then. Thanks for the heads-up!

22. notreallyroland
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

what happened to dany’s necklace? did she lose it during filming?

23. Lars
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

notreallyroland:
    what happened to dany’s necklace? did she lose it during filming?

What about her necklace? It sometimes looks like she has two variants, but I think it is once necklace ending in half-sliced claws/tooths. It can be word snapped together or separated. I think it is the same necklace. (If that is what you are asking about)

24. Chickenduck
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Syrio:
    The Astapor and Yunkai scenes of course.

What do you mean “of course”?

Astapor was mostly (maybe even entirely) shot in Essaouira, Morocco. Anything on the city walls or with the Unsullied etc was definitely Morocco.

I guess we wait and see if anything in Yunkai looks different.