Game of Owns: Fun with Math
By Winter Is Coming on in Podcast, Recap.

The regular Game of Owns crew is joined by our own Fire and Blood to break down this week’s episode. Dracarys!

Episode 87 – Fun with Math

iTunes | Download | RSS

Description: Recorded moments after thousands marched into the future, Game of Owns is back with you this Monday still reeling from the exciting fourth episode in HBO’s Game of Thrones Season 3.

Discussion Topics
The Axechucker is here
It was a face melter
Old Valyrian, new master
How will they split the series?
Music notes

Hodor!

2. Juego de Tronos
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

hodor?

3. OhDanyBoy
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Re: the comment that Maester Luwin’s drawn out reconciliation death is not in the spirit of the books.

It is actually directly from the books. Right down to them finding him under the Weirwood tree and Osha finishing him off after the boys leave.

4. Bryon
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Juego de Tronos:
    hodor?
    nice Chicago reference.

5. Bryon Blofstein
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Bryon,

HODOR!

In the podcast when it is compared how Drogon was acting when Dany handed him over and she turned her back on him to when someone leaves their dog tied up outside of a store while shopping for 20 minutes on the lakeview/Northside.

6. Selina
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Whoops, my bad! I could have sworn that happened differently.

7. coronaking
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Could you also post the length of the podcast from now one? I’d like to know if I have enough time to listen to all of it before I start and none of the links shows a time. Would be very great! :)

8. atomixign
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I just despise when you guys talk about the Pod thing. Its not a mystery or a reveal or a point or the build up to a punchline – it was a joke about Pod being a “Tripod”

9. Snow
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Ooh, interesting take on Dany’s prophecies last season! I laughed at the entire Pod conversation and omfg Quentin Tarantino directed episode. That would be mindblowing.
    Lastly, wow, that Misfits fandom ownage. I am definitely a Misfits fan but luckily I have read all the books and was excited to see Iwan, but not so much his character.
    (Is that how you say his name? I never get it right)

10. king tyrion
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Just a correction there was never a weirwood tree in kings landing. They have a heart tree because all the weirwoods were cut down by the andals. So sansa praying to a stump is a great way of using that little bit of backstory

11. Adria
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I didn’t have a problem with the Varys and Tyrion scene. Varys has been looking for the sorcerer who cut him for years. Finally he’s been able to use his connetions to find him, catch him, and have him shipped to King’s Landing from Essos. He’s in the middle of opening the crate when when Tyrion walks in talking about getting his revenge on Cersei. He decides to tell Tyrion a story (with the punchline of opening the box and the sorcerer being inside) to demonstrate to Tyrion that he isn’t going to find any proof of Cersei’s betrayal and that he isnt going to get his revenge today, or tomorrow, or the next day. He’s going to have to bide his time, maybe for years, and wait to get his revenge.

12. Roger König
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Thank you Fabio for speaking right off my mind about Ramin Djawadis work! :)

I couldnt agree more! :)

13. Fire And Blood
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Roger König,

Djawadi’s got such great stuff. Unlike last week, I don’t think a single person objected to the end-credits music.

And thanks for the laughs, GoO! Good times.

14. Roger König
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood:
    Roger König,

And thanks for the laughs, GoO! Good times.

Regarding the end-credits of lasts week: To me it fit superbly, because, although i’ve read the books i was in total shock of the last scene and my mind didnt even recognize the punk-music at first, because it was still in “shock-mode”. :)

But what i wanted to say is, that you are absolutely right about the whole thing you said about the themes of Djawadi and how they built up and stuff. A good example is last weeks scene, where “boy” gets Theon on his horse and he flees. There was a nice variation of the “pyke”-theme.

15. The Flayed Man
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Guys, for future reference, Margaery’s name is pronounced “MAR-JER-EE”. It’s not that hard…

16. coronaking
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Roger König:

I would love to have a little Musical Recap every week. Just somebody with good hearing who can really spot old and new themes and write something about it. It’s such an important part of the show but most of the themes are only recognized when they appear on the soundtrack.

17. spacechampion
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I’ve had a horribly saddening idea regarding Pod’s future plotline. What if Cersei takes him to bed instead of Kettleblack? And Pod then testifies against Tyrion in the trial? And then Tyrion kills POD instead of Shae?? …. Of course in this scenario Tyrion would have to find Pod in Tywin’s bed instead of Shae… LOL.

18. Johan Sporre
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

A possible reason for why Micah (?) thought them turning on Old Bear was too sudden may be that we lacked the prologue chapter to A Storm of Swords at the end of season 2 or at the start of season 3. Told from the perspective of Chett (a discontent in the Night’s Watch) right before the Others attack the Fist it’s about a group of men who are planning to kill Old Bear and desert, but their plan gets disrupted because of the outside threat.

19. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

About the Night’s Watch scene…I got the impression, and maybe I’m wrong, that they didn’t all rebel, that they were fighting among themselves. During your podcast discussion it seemed like you all felt they mutinied together, right about the time you mentioned Dolorous Edd comment about Bannon smelling so good (BTW which prompted me to guffaw so loud I think I woke up my kids). I seem to remember from the books that some of them stay loyal to the Watch. Somebody help me out here.

20. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

My favorite quote from the episode was by the Queen of Thrones when Varys first approached her, something to the effect “What happens when the nonexistent bumps up against the decrepit?…..But that’s a question best left up to the philosophers.”

21. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

The Beric Dondarrion thing: the Hound says “Beric Dondarrion. You’ve seen better days.” Beric replies: “And I won’t see them again”

Made perfect sense because the dude has lost an EYE and looks rough as hell since last he left Kings Landing. He’s barely recognisable.

Nice discussion though.

@Ms. D: I think you’re right. Certainly a couple of them stay to help Sam escape and so on. Can’t remember the details but people were switching sides left, right and centre.

22. Eric Larson
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I think the reason for the Pod scenes have no more significance than to make his character more memorable so when he becomes more important in season 5, audiences won’t forget who he is.

23. Rafael
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 6:34 am | Permalink

Podrick for the win

24. Rafael
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 6:36 am | Permalink

spacechampion:
    I’ve had a horribly saddening idea regarding Pod’s future plotline.What if Cersei takes him to bed instead of Kettleblack?And Pod then testifies against Tyrion in the trial?And then Tyrion kills POD instead of Shae??…. Of course in this scenario Tyrion would have to find Pod in Tywin’s bed instead of Shae… LOL.

LOL!

25. telobsidion
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I don’t think books four and five will take three seasons. That’s ridiculous. They could probably introduce one or two of the Feast arcs in season four if they wanted to. I’m thinking either (or both) Arianne’s Dorne and the Ironborn Kingsmoot. They could probably then use seasons five and six for finishing Feast and Dance, maybe even capping with some events from Winds. Ex: Battle of Winterfell or Meereen

26. Josefina
    Posted July 15, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

I truly treasured your main website as well as , thoughts.
    You will impressive.
    Thank you very much to obtain rendering this unique when i imagine escaping review way more within you down the line.

Highly rated project keeping web site eradicate and so top quality without resorting to every useless posts.

Don’t you get any information with regard to the home-page to look after it also freed from trash?
    Or any thoughts in order to create due to magnificent wonderful for example like your site?
    Bad in my english :) this can be not always great indigenous words, hope it is easy to easlily understand

1. [...] a learned common language of the elites, not unlike Latin used to be, as FaB put it concisely in this GOO podcast). Two, mention the High Valyrian versus the low, vernacular varieties that are extant in Essos. I [...]