Inside the Episode: “And Now His Watch Is Ended”
By Winter Is Coming on in Media.

Here is this week’s Inside the Episode video, where showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss analyze some of the key moments of the latest episode.

James Hibberd has interviewed the duo, as well as Emilia Clarke, on the pivotal episode finale. Here are two choice quotes:

I remember reading [Dany planning to give up Drogon to the slaver] and thinking, ‘Oh, this is kind of disappointing.’ When the real plan was revealed I think I even called [Weiss]. This was before we had met with George, when we were still trying to figure out if this show was possible. The culmination of that scene was one of those moments when we were like, ‘We got to make this f–king show.’ It was very gratifying seeing that wish fulfilled … I think it will be one of the most staggering things ever put on television.”

“Up until that moment, she’s relied on everybody else’s opinion to form her own because she didn’t know any better,” Clarke said. “She doesn’t have any experience to back up what she’s going to do, she just has her own gut. And everyone around her is assuming she will just give Drogon up — which is ridiculous for the mother of a child. It’s the biggest risk she’s ever taken in her entire life and there’s that moment of wondering whether the Unsullied are going to respect her. It’s the moment she becomes who she was always destined to be.”

1. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Hodor.

What an episode. It’s not been mentioned all that much but I actually really liked how Craster’s Keep went down. It was so sudden it really highlighted how quickly stuff can go from tense but non-violent to all out chaos. All it needed was a catalyst – the criminals of the Night’s Watch did the rest.

But yeah, episode 5, “Kissed by Fire” up next! Could be even better.

2. Juego de Tronos
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Hodor?

3. Patchface
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

PATCHFACEE.

4. QueenOfThorns
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I really like when DB Weiss said about Dany:

“As the sphere of her emphathy widens, so does the sphere of her cruelty.”

This rings true not only to Dany’s character but also to how we as individuals tend to regard institutional evil. If we are big-hearted enough to feel deep empathy for the oppressed, we can’t help but feel anger and sometimes cruel hatred towards the oppressor.

5. gisizzlah
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

My mind goes back to the final episode of last season where Dany tells Xaros “thank you for teaching me this lesson”…. this episode shows what exactly she learnt by trusting herself and her own instincts to make the decision thats best for her and her ppl and also her cause….

6. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

But what about Mormonts dying wish??

7. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Wrath of the Gods,

Was too cliched for my tastes. Same with Dracarys, funnily enough – although of course they kept that in. It was a visual feast, but I am someone who finds it difficult to reconcile how stupid that slaver was to fall for the oldest trick in the book.

I’m actually much more excited about Dany in Yunkai. The trick with the wine was my favourite moment of hers

8. Andy Gavin (@asgavin
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

An episode packed with goodies. Severed hands. Lots of Varys. Dondarian reborn. And the final shot, in all it’s glorious CGI of city, army, and dragons, dragons, dragons, more than made up for the skimpy (budget) battle before it. Drogon and Dany both literarily brought a tear to my fantasy geek eye. In any case, you can find my more detailed thoughts on this episode on my blog as usual.

9. GerB40
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

What was this wine trick? I can’t remember much of Daenarys’ story from Yunkai. @Wrath of the gods.

10. Kevin
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line?

11. Kevin
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

GerB40,

she gave a gift of wine to the sellsword company, so they were drunk during the attack

12. GerB40
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Kevin,

Aaahh.. Shit that’s gonna be cool.

13. loco73
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

While I appreciate all this information and inside the episodes stuff…where is the curtain call for James Cosmo and Robert Pugh! Sure I wanted that bastard Craster to die in a really bad and horrid manner (I’ll settle for a dagger through his mouth…LOL), but Jeor “The Bear” Mormont was a beloved character and really an albeit brief but important father figure for Jon Snow, and really among the first to see his potential as a human being and as a leader…

So bring on the damn curtain call so we may honour these wonderful actors!

14. ChristineMarie
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I’m glad to see Dany’s cruelty mentioned along with her empathy and general badassness. As cool and fist-pumpy as that moment is, it’s never completely sat well with me, both in book and on show.

15. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Kevin,

What do you mean by Sicilian? Or is it just a clever way of saying ‘dragon’ a la the ‘Sicilian Dragon’ which is a chess opening?

@Kevin:

Exactly. And what I liked in particular about that scene is that Mero of the Second Sons thinks he’s outwitted Dany by being able to secure not just a small amount of wine but a whole wagon. Dany then tells him that they’ll meet him again at a later date.

Like most of these arrogant men, he pays the price for underestimating the little girl with the beautiful smile.

16. Hawk
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

ChristineMarie,

Good catch…people like to forget that she burned somebody alive in order to birth her dragons…she has shown plenty of a penchant for madness a la her father, and it’s likely her dragons will be as much of a threat to Westeros as the Others…

17. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

If it was so obvious then why did so many non-book readers fall for it. Quite a few were upset because they truly thought she was giving Drogon away! I think the reason D&D gave the slaver such nasty dialogue was because they needed to show just how misogynistic he was in order to explain why he didn’t see through her deception. And it worked because it was very clear that he thought Dany was just a vagina on legs. In addition, he thought Drogon would follow whoever owned him and so it wouldn’t occur to him that the dragon could turn on him. He’s a man who is used to getting his way, having everyone obey him and who looks down on just about everyone but his fellow slavers. Such a person would be blind to Dany’s plans. It seemed perfectly plausible to me.

18. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

From my personal experience with the books, it was obvious to me from a mile off. So I didn’t enjoy it all that much when I read it back then. It seemed fairly obviously done in the show too but I still thought it was a great scene well done. (But certainly not the best in the episode)

However, my issue with the books and the tv was not really to do with it being obvious to the viewer. Instead, I found it hard to reconcile that an experienced slave master would not take significant precautions when making such a large handover. For example, in the tv show, I expected lots of guards and allies of his around, when really there were only a handful. I expected a cage and a cogent game plan for dealing with the dragons. The guy is greedy and cruel and misoginistic but he is still a businessman. And businessman in his position aren’t generally born yesterday.

Overall, I like Dracarys. But there is so much other stuff in GoT that is better in my opinion.

19. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

loco73,

Agreed!

And while we’re at it, let’s through in a curtain call for Dan Hildebrand as well, who did a great job in his combined 15 minutes of work as Kraznys.

20. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

I believe it’s a reference to The Princess Bride.

21. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

Lol, wikipedia says it was released in 1987? Would be a few years till I was even born. ;)

And yes, lets say ‘Goodbye’ to the great actors of Kraznys and Jeor Mormont. Love the phrase “And now his watch is ended” as well. Way better than “And now his watch has ended”.

22. Dickon Manwoody
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor: ,

Yes, because you can’t watch movies after the year they are released. ;)

Sorry if that sounds a bit dickish, but I would highly recommend watching it! It’s amazing.

23. saluk
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor:
    GreatJon of Slumber,

It’s a pretty famous movie even for people born after it. Very memetastic too. Cheesy but fun.

24. Gregory Kelton
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Gotta love this exchange between Kevin and GerB40. One spoiler blocks a line (appropriately), the other guy asks about it outside a spoiler block, and the first answers outside a spoiler block.

FAIL.

25. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Dickon Manwoody,

Haha, no worries. You don’t sound like a dick. Although what I’ve learnt from GoT means that you probably are one anyway ;)

I have heard of it vaguely so will maybe watch it one day. I mean, I watched The Godfather and that was from 1972!

26. Dickon Manwoody
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

Trust me, it’s so worth it. If only for the famous “You killed my father, prepare to die!” line.

27. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Dickon Manwoody,

See, I was going to watch it, but then you spoiled the plot. And now my watch is ended.

Ok, that sounded cool in my head. :P Will check it out sometime. Probably. No guarantees. ;)

28. Richard
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

(non-book reader) I kind of see Dany as a cross between a tyrant and Mother Teresa. There will be Peace & Love or there will be your death.

29. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Richard,

Mother Teresa believed that suffering would help bring people closer to Jesus whereas Dany tried to alleviate the suffering of the man on the walk of punishment.

I get what you mean but it’s interesting to note that Mother Teresa herself isn’t purely ‘white’ in character either. Far from it, in fact.

30. WildSeed
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

I’m almost sure that lord Mormont will be given a proper sendoff once the Brothers
    return to Castle Black. With such a fierce episode, a few things were probably left
    unsaid to be realized by the next episode or two. The development has worked
    well for Theon’s and Bran’s stories, of recent.

I’m aware that Nicolaj Costa-Waldau ( & Kit ) have become Hollywood heartthrobs,
    for many viewers, but the story of his redemption is gonna take a while. Gwendoline
    Christie, sans mud and chainmail, very attractive and not at all clunky in height or
    demeanor. She puts many would be starletts to shame.

31. Shan
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor:
    Dickon Manwoody,

32. Shan
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor:
    Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

Yeah, that bothered me, too. You can brainwash people to the point where they stand around making polite chitchat while you cut off their nipples, but you can’t brainwash them to the point where you will maintain some kind of override control over them after you sell them to someone else? And having a couple of random guys in tokars wandering around the perimeter of the Unsullied army with whips makes even less sense than just having none and trusting in their conditioning.

Also, this guy is basically a weapons dealer who has just been offered the chance to buy the most powerful WMD that Westeros has ever produced (dragons), and he doesn’t bother to do a little bit of reading about how they work?

Okay I’m done.

33. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Shan,

Ok, I’m sold. Definitely watching it now!

Wrt the Dracarys scene: it doesn’t fit together neatly does it? The slaver should have been a lot more savvy than he was. But it’s definitely a crowd-pleaser.

34. NDC
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

TPB is my favorite movie of all time. I was only 3 when it came out. ;)

35. GP
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

Please tell me you have watched the Goonies at least even though it was released in 1985.

36. NDC
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Shan: GRRM has flat-out said that a very important scene in Season 4 (from the end of Book 3) is a deliberate shootout to The Princess Bride. Watch TPB and you’ll be able to spot it!

so I clearly can’t drink from the cup in front of me?

37. Shan
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

NDC,

Inigo Montoya.

38. NDC
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Shan,

I’m so ashamed I didn’t see the “prepare to die” setup!!!

39. Shan
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Leave it to GRRM to rewrite the big “Hello, My Name is Inigo Montoya” scene in his… own special GRRM kind of way.

40. NDC
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Shan,

I LOVE IT! I love everything TPB though! :)

41. Queen For A Day
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Im not sure where to put in suggestions, but wic should do some kind of memorial post for each character as they die in the series. The first should be titled ‘mourning Mormont’ :D

42. eetrebor
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Queen For A Day:

WiC already does that: http://winteriscoming.net/tag/curtain-call/

43. Mike Chair
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Queen For A Day: Im not sure where to put in suggestions, but wic should do some kind of memorial post for each character as they die in the series

They typically do a “Curtain Call.” One of my favorites was for Miltos Yerolemou (Syrio Forel) here. If you scroll down you’ll see Miltos actually commented.

44. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Queen For A Day,

Should be up soon hopefully. We need a Hotpie one! Even though he didn’t die… I don’t see him coming back.

45. the other guy
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

I like the fact that they release one of these videos each week, they’re really interesting.

Off-topic now, I just watched the recap for episode 5 here, and aside from the expected stuff (Beric vs the Hound, Karstark killing the Lannister boys, more Davos), it looks like they’re already setting up Jorah’s reveal as a spy by showing the Ned scene from S1. Oh, and they’re also remiding us that Stannis has a wife. Selyse appearance next week ?

46. Turncloak
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 12:16 am | Permalink

So theres a 2 week gap between episode 8 and 9 of this season. I think thats a bad move. Gives more time for A wholes to spoil the episode

47. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

It’s because of Memorial Day weekend; ratings for last year’s Blackwater episode dipped sharply – there just aren’t as many people around. Best advice? Stay off the message boards for a little bit for that.

48. Freoduwebbe
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 12:30 am | Permalink

ok, this isn’t about the recap… BUT.. I just realized Burn Gorman was standing beside Samwell during Bannon’s funeral….. he walks away about the time Ed is commenting on how Bannon never smelled so good ……. You only see part of his face… but once you know he’s there.. its easy to spot.

Winter tries to space out the posts.. I expect the curtain calls to be later this week…. and all three actors certainly deserve them….

49. Ser Tahu
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Freoduwebbe,

Three actors?

50. CG
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Mormont, Craster and Kraznys all bit it this week! So yeah, three.

51. NDC
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

The Old Bear, Craster, Krasnys?

52. Ser Tahu
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 2:16 am | Permalink

CG,
    NDC,

I forgot about Craster, and I wasn’t sure that Kraznys had appeared enough to warrant a curtain call.

53. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 6:05 am | Permalink

GP,
    The Goonies? I’m sorry I haven’t a clue.

54. Stephen Bosco
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

Totally agree. Can’t recall if the books do it better. The Slaver could at least have done the exchange outside the walls, made Dany pass him the dragon in the cage and then give the whip thingy.

55. Jon Sand
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Wait a second, Are they saying that this scene with Daenerys, was the scene in season three they had been looking so much forward to?
    Must admit, I thought it was something else, but ofcourse from a producer perspective, this must be something you really want to create.

56. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I have a new theory for what’s really going on with Littlefinger. Let me know what you think of it.

I think I’ve worked out Littlefinger’s ploy. You see, it never made any sense him suggesting that he take Sansa to the Eyrie straight away because how would he get away with it? The second Sansa disappears, everyone will wonder who could have done it and Tywin most certainly would realise that it’s Littlefinger.

Instead, I think Littlefinger suspects he has a spy in his midst (Ros) and is trying to rat her out. Consequently, he leaves a false trail of immediate plans to take Sansa with him to the Eyrie and uses this as bait for Ros. This would not only make Littlefinger appear like a dangerous player of the game but it also reconciles his unusually cavalier approach of late.

If my theory is right, this is bad news for poor old Ros – because Littlefinger is already many steps ahead of her.

57. Douglas Macary
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

What did the Hound mean, when he referred to the butcher’s boy as a “bleeder”?

58. telobsidion
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Douglas Macary:
    What did the Hound mean, when he referred to the butcher’s boy as a “bleeder”?

There was a lot of blood.

59. freoduwebbe
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Yep.. that’s my three

CG:
    Ser Tahu,

Mormont, Craster and Kraznys all bit it this week! So yeah, three.

60. Douglas Macary
    Posted April 25, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

telobsidion,

It sounded like he was making an excuse.

1. [...] Winter is Coming have also unearthed a few quotes from James Hibberd’s interview with Benioff, Weiss, and Emilia Clarke that speak on the importance of her sacking of Astapor. Read ‘em below the cut. [...]