Looking Forward: Ep. 25 and Uneducated Unsullieds
By Winter Is Coming on in Recap.

Oz of Thrones, the true professional that he is, isn’t going to let something like a family vacation get in the way of giving us his thoughts on the upcoming episode.

Oz of Thrones: Greetings from a weary traveler, who has taken Ozzette and the Ozlings on a weekend adventure to the sands of Westeros (The U.S. version). There is no Kingsroad to our destination that makes any sense in diverting to. So a man has taken many back roads to our destination, along with the unending challenge of finding suitable trees for which the Ozlings to relieve themselves on. Needless to say, the Kingsroad would be faster and has better trees, but would not be half as adventurous. Most importantly, we have arrived safely and all hands are still firmly attached.

One word: Mormont. Of all people. Really? A man doesn’t typically rejoice over the death of someone, unless that someone is a particularly deplorable, disgusting character on a television series who goes by the name of Craster. Thank you to Karl (member of the “Crow I Don’t Know” club) for giving him the business. Ozzette and I enjoyed his death for all of about 3 seconds before Mormont got the business in his back. Talk about an emotional swing. Had there been a fly on the wall with a digital recorder in House Oz, the playback would have sounded something like this (in a quiet tone as to not wake Ozlings):

Oz: “This doesn’t look good. They’re all hungry.”
Ozzette: “Did he just call him a bastard?”
Oz: “Yes.”
Ozzette: “Did he just do it again?”
Oz: “Yes. Oh shit.”
Craster gets the business
Oz: “Yesssiirrrrr!”
Ozzette: “Oh my!”
Mormont gets the business
Oz: “Dammit!!! What the……”
Ozzette: “Oh No!!!”
Oz: “I hate that guy” (Rast)
Ozzette: “Me too”
Oz: “I need a cigarette.”
Ozzette: “No, you don’t.”

As awesome as the Kentucky Fried Kraznys’ scene was, the Crow scene remains the most shocking in my mind. And maybe it was because we all saw what was coming in Astapor a mile away, Sullied or Un. Nevertheless, this episode was clearly one of the best ever, and my question bears repeating…. How does D&D top this, especially in the middle of a season?

As most of you are aware, we are the Unsullied non-book readers, or more commonly known as the people who ask questions that we don’t really want the answers to. At the same time, we make mistakes in terms of what we view, what we hear, who is who, and how it is all connected. Some pieces are more difficult to put together than others. This season is proving to be one of the more difficult to follow probably due to the immense load of new characters. For the Sullied, here is a sample of what I am exposed to from the few Unsullied friends I have that know Oz is authoring masterful recaps on WiC.net (what are you laughing at?)

Where is that Red Woman going? (I don’t know, and please do not answer in the comments)
One of my more mature acquaintances: Why were there no boobs in the last episode? (I don’t know, but seeing as there are probably no spoilers involved, feel free to speculate in the comments).

Winterfell: I still want to know who did it and why. But what I would really like to see is the storyline with Robb and his soldiers making a move. The whole outfit has been at Harrenhall since the beginning of the season other than the few of them visiting Riverrun for the funeral. Now we are at the threshold of the halfway point, and I am particularly interested in how parts of this story play out. Specifically, the repercussions of Robb marrying Talisa when he is promised to a Frey daughter; his strategy in his ongoing quest for Joffrey’s head; and how Jamie is going to be treated once he is returned.

ArGen – Pie =: We traded a Pie for a Hound. And the Hound is in for a fight with Beric. But, the Hound is not a fan of fire. And from the heavily aired previews, Beric has a flaming sword. A man is always intrigued by a sword duel. But knowing what we know about the Hound, will he see the flaming sword and yield before it even begins? And how long is Arya going to hang with BwB?

Theon: I’m just ready for some answers. Period.

The Red Woman: A book-reader commented earlier in the week that he did not like me referring to Stannis as a jackass because apparently he may be portrayed differently in the books. A man offers no apologies on this one. Stannis has been nothing but said expletive since being introduced is Season 2. What I would like to see is his character in action without the Red Woman in tow. And now we may get it, since the Red Woman is at the Crimson Sorceress Conference. Will he visit Davos (who has yet to respond to my letter due to the possibility that he can’t read)? Will we finally meet his wife?

What answers are you looking forward to? Ozzette is still trying to figure out how Dany will get 8,000+ Unsullied to Westeros. GoT has never disappointed, but I am interested in the direction the season goes now, especially after such an epic episode that 24 was.

Sending Out an RSP (Raven Search Party) for: Lancel Lannister. Our boy toy of Cersei, and puppet of Tyrion in Season 2, has yet to make an appearance this season. Tyrion surely could use someone to torment, and Cersei, more than likely, is getting close to needing some affection since Jaime is still predisposed.

Remember, please be mindful of we, the Unsullied non-book readers, in your comments.

Until Monday for the Newbie Recap of Ep. 25, be alert in your travels, and may there be peace in your realm. -Oz

1. Hollyoak
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

RICKON!

2. Jen
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

It’s so obvious that the Theon story is SO frustrating to unsullied … but it’s amazing for those of us who have read and know things. I hope that it plays out in a way that’s as satisfying as the book version ends up being.

3. Dammit Patrice
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Have a nice trip Oz!

4. Quowala
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

But surely you must accept that Stannis is the rightful King and ‘the red woman’ does have some power as we saw with her demon baby. I get that she is annoying prattling on about the lord of light but its all for a reason. Keep an eye on team dragonstone. It will get interesting.

5. M
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I’m not giving anything away, despite how much I just want to blart out all the answers to your questions. ( I told them to my cat instead. He coped by going and eating catnip.) Just know that you will get your answers, for better or for worse.

6. NudityIsNatural
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

People make way too big of a deal about nudity. And it goes both ways. “Where were the breasts?” or “Why wasn’t there nudity?” or “The nudity is excessive” or “Why did we need the Podrick scene?” or “There’s too much se–SHUT THE HELL UP.

Nudity is an element of setting and plot, and discussing the lack or addition of one or two breasts has absolutely no bearing on the show, and asking “Why weren’t there boobs?” is just moronic. It’s like critiquing the brand of suits being worn on a law show. Nudity is not that important. It’s normal. It’s natural. Stop making a big deal — or any kind of deal at all — about it.

7. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

“A book-reader commented earlier in the week that he did not like me referring to Stannis as a jackass because apparently he may be portrayed differently in the books. A man offers no apologies on this one. Stannis has been nothing but said expletive since being introduced is Season 2.”

Lol I love your recaps/looking forwards, Oz.

8. Card of Doom
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

What do the Unsullied think is going to happen with Brienne?

9. Iron Born
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Theons current predicament is pleasing.. (see the prince of winterfell)

10. Card of Doom
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

NudityIsNatural,

Yeah but where were all the boobs?

11. Mad Hatter
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

And some people are really really eager to talk about nudity.
    Like it’s their screen name and everything. Nuditynuditynuditynude.
    It’s so normal we need to talk about it. Nudity. A lot. Nudity. It has nothing to do with anything, really. Nudity. Breasts. Haha, nudebreasts. That are nude. No bearing on anything and if you disagree you are nude. I mean a prude. And moronic. And NUDE.

12. D'Arcy
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Lancel got shoved out of King’s Landing as it is much too crowded now with the Tyrells and Tywin.

13. Nudetrollersareout
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

The Red woman is likely going where the promos have shown her going…..and that wasn’t in the books….so we’re all unsullied.

14. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

As a member of the Sullied, I again say I love these posts. I have provided non-answer answers to your questions.

Who burned Winterfell? (The burning question will not go away. Please, do not answer in the comments) – Yep. Still don’t know. Fucked up, right?
    Why did that boy save Theon and then unsave Theon? (I don’t know, and please do not answer in the comments) – Um…he’s an asshole. From the information we’ve been exposed to on the show, it appears he killed four of his own guys for the sole purpose of screwing with Theon’s head. That’s messed up.

Things I am reasonably sure of:

–Craster is dead.
    –Hot Pie is not dead. He is baking bread.
    –Tywin Lannister unfortunately only has 3 children, thus denying us the possibility of seeing yet another Lannister forced to cool their heels while he writes letters.
    –Living in a box with your mouth sewn shut? Probably not fun.

15. Mary G
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

This is incredibly entertaining and I thank you so much. I am waiting with bated breath to read your reactions as you discover the answers to these questions.

16. greg
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

So that is a spoiler. How do u know that they weren’t gonna say that in the upcoming episodes. Until u said this, we unsullied had no idea what was going on with Lancel. Although it’s probably minor compared to other elements of the many plots in this show, it is now ruined. Thanks.

17. NudityIsNatural
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Mad Hatter:
    And some people are really really eager to talk about nudity.
    Like it’s their screen name and everything.Nuditynuditynuditynude.
    It’s so normal we need to talk about it.Nudity.A lot.Nudity.It has nothing to do with anything, really.Nudity.Breasts.Haha, nudebreasts.That are nude.No bearing on anything and if you disagree you are nude.I mean a prude.And moronic.And NUDE.

Do you actually think you’re being witty and/or funny? You’re not. That ‘comeback’ was on the level of a middle-schooler.

I’m not eager to talk about it. I’m eager to encourage people to stop fetishizing nudity because it leads to countless problems in our world.

18. Dwayne Roberts
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I think (and i dont knw why i think this maybe its just me) but for some reason the 2 episodes that the queen of thorns was in had no nudity…i wonder if the actress agreed to only feature in episodes that had no nudity …. once again i dont know why that thought popped into my head but watching that women i do believe this actress is freakin amazing and can probably call shots like that

19. Hounded
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I’m interested to hear some predictions from the Unsullied…
    Anyone have any predictions on whats gonna happen in this season? Who do you think is gonna bite it? And how? Who do you think is going to prosper? Anything you reckon you’ve figured out ahead of time?

20. Liz B.
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Wrath of the Gods,

You’re fine on this one. Stannis can be quite the jackass.

21. Liz B.
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

NudityIsNatural,

I’m gonna have to agree with the hatter on this one.

Methinks you doth protest too much, there, Nudity.

22. greg
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

NudityIsNatural,

What problems does it lead to

23. greg
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

NudityIsNatural,

I would guess that people who actually work to solve the problems facing our world have alot more important problems to worry about than”fetishizing nudity”

24. sansa
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Really great recap, Oz! I enjoy reading your reactions so much! Where are all the unsullied, thou? Most of the comments seem to be from book readers.

Fetishizing nudity? ROFL! How’s liking nudity a fetish?

NudityIsNatural: Do you actually think you’re being witty and/or funny?You’re not.That ‘comeback’ was on the level of a middle-schooler.

Well, I thought it was funny.

On Stannis: I’ve read the books. He is a jackass.

25. greg
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

sansa,

YeA I was actually laughing out loud at Mad Hatters comment lol

As far as Stannis goes, unless there is alot more in the books, I don’t see how anyone can think he’s not a jackass. But I only have the 15 or so scenes he’s been in during the show, so who knows.

26. Maester Victor
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Stannis polarizes the GoT and ASOIAF fans. He is either seen as a saviour or a jackass. I’m also on the jackass side too, Oz!

27. greg
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

I have a question and I’m afraid to research it myself because I try to stay as unsullied as possible. I know the Kingsguard is elite and I understand their function, and I also understand the feudal-like structure for each of the seven kingdoms armies, but who are the soldiers in the gold chain mail that were outside the massive Sept. They are the soldiers Bronn was briefly in charge of, correct?

28. Jamb0
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

greg:

Yeah, those are the City Watch for King’s Landing, also called the Goldcloaks. Same group that betrayed Ned in the throne room way back in season 1 – previously ran by Janos Slynt, who Tyrion sent away so Bronn could replace him.

29. PrinceTheon
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

greg,

They’re the City Watch, basically like King’s Landing’s police force

30. Nymeria_D_Wolf
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

NudityIsNatural: I’m eager to encourage people to stop fetishizing nudity because it leads to countless problems in our world.

Wouldn’t the invention of clothing have been the start of fetishizing nudity?!

And for the record; I’m Sullied, I think Stannis is a jackass too!!

31. Nymeria_D_Wolf
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

greg,

They are the Gold Cloaks, basically the “police”! They guard the city as opposed to the king/royal’s. Yes, Bronn was in charge of these while Tyrion was Hand.

32. 3eyes
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Unsullied (love that!) here. Once Theon’s “savior” said “Winter is coming”, I was able to figure out who he was. This has been confirmed in ep.4. Something about that last shot of Hot Pie as Arya and co. are riding away gave me a sense of foreboding. The Red Woman has to find the only other male with Baratheon blood left alive, and she’s depending on the Red God to guide her. Meanwhile Gendry has revealed his identity to a priest of the Red God – and Dany is coming. $#!% is about to get real.

33. Mad Hatter
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Light levity.
    Warning: Nudity.

Psyche!

34. greg
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks. Ever since season 1 when I literally read 5 words too many at the wiki of ice and fire and learned Neds fate, I have completely avoided all websites besides WiC. I’m trying to hold off reading the books until the show is over, but I don’t think I have the will power lol

35. jennyofoldstones
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Some unspoiled points from a Sullied:
    Re: Stannis. GRRM has a way of making you loathe a character and then turning that upside down. Just sayin’. Hoping that D & D stay true and don’t ruin anything. I trust them despite their many changes.
    Re: Lancel. Remember he took an arrow in the chest during the Battle of the Blackwater? He must be recuperating from that serious injury, mustn’t he?
    Theon’s story is among the most complex, disturbing yet compelling arcs in the series. It just gets better and better and I think D & D are doing a great job with it so far. Did you notice that Episode 3 was a game changer? Since then everything has gotten darker and darker…especially up at The Wall but elsewhere as well. We are in for an astounding ride for the next 6 episodes to be sure.

36. Adam
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

And as a Sullied, I feel it’s my job to provide answers.

Who burned Winterfell?

Teenagers. Goddamn mischief causing teenagers.

Why did that boy save Theon and then unsave Theon?

He’s taking his mother’s advice and playing hard to get. He can’t make it that easy, Theon would never respect him. (In bed.)

Where is that Red Woman going?

Home to visit her family of creepy sorcerers; this time of year is actually Christmas in the Red God faith.

When George RR Martin wrote the chapters which ended up in this episode, he was going through the “honeymoon phase” with a new girlfriend, so he didn’t feel the need to write any boobs in.

37. Adam
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Quowala:
    But surely you must accept that Stannis is the rightful King and ‘the red woman’ does have somepower as we saw with her demon baby. I get that she is annoying prattling on about the lord of light but its all for a reason. Keep an eye on team dragonstone. It will get interesting.

“Surely?”

What about Dany? Did Robert become legitimate and Dany lose her claim when Robert won the rebellion? If so, then whoever wins the war is rightful, and Stannis is no more the rightful king than Joffrey or anyone else until the fighting is done.

38. TheAdversary
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

NudityIsNatural,

This one thought it was fantastic. He also thinks there needs to be more. No need to be so uptight. Laugh a little, live a little. No need for censorship.

39. Adam
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

3eyes:

So what’s your theory on him, then?

Like others here I’m curious to hear what theories the Unsullied have for these various mysteries, that’s what makes these the most fun threads on WiC!

40. Yago
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Adam,

Then again, Dany’s family took the throne by force themselves some 300 years earlier…

41. Adam
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Yago:
    Adam,

Personally, since Dany’s claim stretches back longer (and over a longer period) I’m inclined to give her claim more legitimacy than Stannis’, but that’s comparative, i.e., it’s not saying Dany’s claim does have legitimacy!

The Starks swore oaths of fealty to King’s Landing for hundreds of years, but before that there was a King in the North. Is Robb’s breakaway claim legitimate?

42. Yellow Dog
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Oz and all the other Unsullied:

I tell all my non-reader, show-watching friends the same thing:

Not everyone dies. Everyone suffers.

That answers all your questions.

43. Yellow Dog
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Adam,

If someone were to give everyone in Westeros the right to vote in an election for leader, who do you think would win? Let’s say there’s a cease-fire right after Episode 24, and rumors spread about Dany and her dragons.

Who wins the election?

44. Oz of Thrones
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Enjoying this thread immensely this evening. Thank you all for contributing, and to the Sullied for not spoiling us. Oz is enjoying ale and reading your commentary. Cheers.

45. Adam
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Yellow Dog:
    Adam,

Who wins the election?

I don’t know, who’s allowed to run? :)

46. Jimi
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

NudityIsNatural,

I like boobies

47. 3eyes
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Adam,

I didn’t want to spoil (per request by Ser Oz of Thrones). I believe he is Lord Bolton’s bastard – even more vicious than his father.

48. 3eyes
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Adam,

PS – I also believe that he lied in the message re: Winterfell.

49. Adam
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

3eyes:
    Adam,

It’s not a spoiler if you’re also Unsullied! :)

It’s fun to see what the Unsullied theorize and think about what’s going on.

50. Nerd
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Stannis is a jackass in the books and the show.

51. Carcinogen
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Lancel took an arrow to the chest, which was further agrivated when Cercie punched the wound. No doubt, he’s laying in a sickbed somewhere thanking the Seven for allowing him to live…

52. valyrian
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Sullied here. Stannis is a jackass, but I love him. Re: discussion about who is the rightful heir; I think Dany is the rightful heir 5o the iron throne of the Seven Kingdoms since before the Targaryens there was no iron throne and no unity to this land.

53. ace
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Lancel is currently hanging out with Syrio Forel and Benjen Stark..

54. Loki
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 12:57 am | Permalink

GoT has never disappointed,

Ahahahah. oh god. You’ll see how wrong you were in time. This whole show is one big stinky disappointment to those who can read.

55. Wolfman27
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 1:22 am | Permalink

Loki,

You are the worst kind of person.

56. Deez
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Card of Doom:
    What do the Unsullied think is going to happen with Brienne?

Her and Jaime are gonna bang

57. sansa
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 4:10 am | Permalink

Adam: Yep. Which is why there’s ambiguity to anyone’s claim to be the “rightful” king.

Once again, I’m kind of queasy about posting this here, but it’s not a spoiler as such, just some interview information from Martin about what happened in Westeros about 150 years ago. And in the last episode it was actually said that Rhaenya was killed by Aegon’s dragon. Still, I’m using spoiler tags. There was a civil war between Aegon and Rhaenya, because their father wanted Rhaenya to take the throne, but Aegon was a son. And ever since the end of that war all male claimants to the throne come before all females in the Targaryen line of succession, even if their claim is through the female line and the female’s claim is through the male line. So Stannis really is the rightful king, cause his grandma was a Targaryen and he is a man. Dany is a woman. I despise him, truly, but I admit he is the rightful king as far as Targaryen succession goes.

That said, other posters have pointed out that the Targs took the throne by force, too. I say fuck the Targaryen dynasty! They’re all mad. And screw Stannis AND Dany! I don’t want either of them near the throne.

58. Freoduwebbe
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 6:50 am | Permalink

He got stabbed in the battle – and then Cersei jammed it with her hand when he was begging to have Joffrey back on the wall

such family love…

Nymeria_D_Wolf: Someone remind me – in an unsullied sense – was there something about Lancel during the Blackwater? Did he run off or am I making up my own story?!

59. greg
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Last night i watched the last 3 episodes, and it caught my eye that the X shaped wooden structure that Theon is tied to looks alot like the flag carried by Locke. He is Boltons best Hunter. Hmmmm

60. greg
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Wow no updates today

61. grumpycetacean
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Yes!! Love reading these Unsullied posts because, well, it’s hard work keeping oneself unsullied. Before ep 4 I was spoiled a bit by looking on fan sites…so thanks for the continual reminders that we unsullied ask questions we don’t want the answers to! I still skim these comments, with one eye closed, more than I would like because people don’t seem to quite get it…

Of course I agree completely with Oz’s Stannis comment. From the TV series, he’s dour, cheated on his wife with the Red Woman to make a demon baby, and just threw his apparently last remaining compelling supporter into the dungeons presumably to await death by fire. I don’t see how he’s the true king, especially if it’s acceptable to remove ‘mad’ kings, and he’s looking pretty mad himself just now. At this point, as much as I adored Robert and Ned and can understand their need to fight the Mad King, I’m thinking of them more as usurpers now that Dany’s looking rad with a fierce army behind her. Yeah, her scene was pretty predictable, but it was still well executed and exciting.

And I swear I was just thinking of Lancel yesterday…haha…they need to at least do a ‘where is he now?’ bit at some point. I am assuming that when Cersi punched him in his fresh arrow wound, that was her gentle way of breaking up. He was a poor substitute for Jaime.

62. Coco lannister
    Posted April 28, 2013 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Stanis ain’t no jerk. Stanis is the man. Team stannis FTW.

63. queenofthorns
    Posted April 28, 2013 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Some Stannis fans are way too rabid – Stannis is totally an insensitive Jerk in the books, too. Jackass is pretty apt. And I absolutely love the guy! If he wasn’t a social idiot I don’t think he would be nearly as interesting.

64. queenofthorns
    Posted April 28, 2013 at 9:11 am | Permalink

sansa,

Plenty of people in the books and show consider Dany to be a legitimate claimant. Your particular sullied observation is always pulled out by those who want to discredit her claim but literally no one – even those most concerned with discrediting her – ever brings it up as a reason why her claim should be questioned. It’s a fan construction that has no relevance to contemporary Westeros.

Even in that particular case,the only thing that was set into practice is that brothers will always inherit before sisters. Nothing about male second cousins from a female line… Not even Mr. “The throne is mine by rights” himself ever brings it up. GRRM has always said that succession rules are very fluid. Seems like the best resolution to the whole inheritance issue is to join the families anyway. Stannis x Dany ftw mwhahahaha…

65. Dany's One-Eyed Dragon
    Posted April 29, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Jen,

The whole Winterfell/Theon storyline is only frustrating to us unsullied because the show is a bit too ambiguous and disjointed with the scenes in my opinion. I am not sure if what has been edited is something that should be known from pieces of 20+ other episodes or purposefully ambiguous and in a way that I as a viewer know I am not supposed to know yet, and therefore be relegated to speculate and wait patiently. This is the only storyline where such non-spoiling cues in the show are absent or so pervasively absent to the point of minor frustration. I’ve just stopped trying to make sense of this storyline and will just enjoy it as it unfolds and wait until after it unfolds before dissecting it.
    I remember wondering what the hell was going on with the whole meaning of the sun then rain then sun in the dire wolf scene from episode 1 only to later watch the director’s cut in which they admit the scene was shot on different days and spliced together!

66. Dany's One-Eyed Dragon
    Posted April 29, 2013 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Regarding the whole mutiny at caster’s cabin and Dany’s ascension juxtaposed in this episode, I think you give too much credit to Mormont as a leader. We endear his character mostly as a result of his private conversations with Jon Snow (and subconsciously I believe because the actor playing him is a great actor), but many of his public actions are not as compelling. His treatment to many crows was abrasive and his fumbling of the origins of the dead crow during the ceremony I believe were there to show he is a bit out of touch and is just going through the motions for the sake of tradition. Dany’s reaction to her fallen/beheaded follower in season two was markedly different and truly heartfelt. So in retrospect, the mutiny of Mormont perhaps should not have been too surprising, but sure was a shocker when it happened.

Thanks for redacting posts and providing a spoiler free place to discuss for us unsullied.

67. Jon Sand
    Posted April 29, 2013 at 4:22 am | Permalink

Stannis is a man without emptahy, thus in his defence, not being a Jackass on purpose :) I’d say this is portrayed pretty similar in both book and show.

Maybe he seems a little bit too power hungry in the TV-show.

68. Khaleesi