Inside the Episode: “Kissed By Fire”
By Winter Is Coming on in Media, Press.

Here is the usual Inside the Episode video featuring David Benioff and D.B. Weiss expounding on some of the scenes from “Kissed By Fire”.

After the break, post-episode interviews with Bryan Cogman and some of the cast.

HBO.com has posted an interview with writer Bryan Cogman, talking about his episode. Here is a bit where he talks about his favorite scenes:

HBO: Do you have a favorite moment or scene from this episode?

Bryan Cogman: Very hard to choose! I’ll pick two, if I may. I love the Jaime/Brienne bath house scene. It was one of my favorite moments in the books; classic George R.R. Martin.  He peels back the layers of a character who started the story as a villain and makes you see him as a vulnerable human being. It’s a very long monologue in the book that was a challenge to adapt, but great fun. It’s a major turning point for Jaime, to be this vulnerable and open and raw with someone other than Cersei. And I think it’s the first time he’s told ANYONE what really happened during the sack of King’s Landing-that includes Tyrion and Cersei.

The other scenes I’m particularly proud of are the trio of Dragonstone scenes.  We didn’t have room for Selyse and Shireen Baratheon in Season 2, so I was excited to get to introduce them here… the dysfunctional family Stannis keeps hidden away and largely avoids. Stannis isn’t a POV character in the book, so these scenes were born largely from my own imagination (though based on clues and hints from the books) and I couldn’t have been happier with the performances and how director Alex Graves interpreted the scenes. I particularly love the Shireen/Davos scene as it’s one of the few scenes in our show that revolves around an act of kindness and generosity.

Over at Entertainment Weekly, James Hibberd interviews the stars of the two memorable bath scenes in this episode. I particularly liked Nikolaj Coster-Waldau’s take on Jaime’s bathtub monologue:

“He has this pride, where he’s refused to talk about what he feels is the immense injustice of what’s happened to him with the Mad King,” said Coster-Waldau, who noted he had been looking forward to shooting this scene since starting on Thrones. “His pride prevents him from saying, ‘By the way…’”

Yet he chooses to share his secret after Brienne earns his respect. “He’s never met anyone like her,” he said. “He sees himself in her. He’s never met anyone so determined.”

1. JoshT
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Hodor

2. Loki
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I miss selyses moustache.

3. The Kingslayer
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Loki:
    I miss selyses moustache.

i miss Patchface

4. Thomas
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

you’d think the kingslayer would miss his hand

5. Felt Pelt
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed this episode, and the fetuses in the jars. Yay Cogman! Everything with Stannis was great. I hope we can spend more time with him non-hypnotized by Melisandre. He’s a horrible father and husband, but his kid is sick and his wife is crazy and obsession with kingship is probably a much more orderly to think about.

Similarly to how Game of Thrones is much more easy to ponder than work.

I did not miss Patchface. Shireen can easily pull double duty. I’m glad also for the emphasis in the Inside the Episode video on the effect Arya’s hard life is having on her. Williams is so good and it seems like she should be on her way to being a hardened murderer soon.

6. The moon's dark side
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Since this one is now officially dubbed the “Butt Episode”, I not sure I want to see the inside of it.

7. WildSeed
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Very much enjoyed the setting at Dragonstone and Harrenhal Baths. Selyse
    and Shireen were a joy to watch, and Nicolaj did some affective acting as well.
    Neither registered as best scenes for me, but they were well executed in every way.
    Great work Mr Cogman.

8. WildSeed
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

The Kingslayer: i miss Patchface

We got the Blue Bard’s ass cheeks instead…….. not sure about an even switch there.

9. Baihu1983
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Loved it but was it just the lighting or is Shireen’s hair slightly blonde?

10. Arkash
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Shireen is blonde… well… I dont think this means anything…

The actress is amazing though !

11. Helen
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I was especially impressed with these scenes for that reason, that they weren’t in the book but flowed so well anyway. I think that’s when Game of Thrones is at it’s best, when even the scenes that aren’t in the book are seamless and reveal things about the characters that we didn’t necessarily get enough of in the book.

12. Dickon Manwoody
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Hey, here is this week’s “If Game of Thrones took place on Facebook” recap!!

13. youssef
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

I always LOVE watching these videos with the show runners. They are always very well spoken and offer a tremendous amount of insight.

14. Andy Gavin (@asgavin
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

The dragon fire may have died down, but the heat is still on. Fire is the name of the game this week: fiery swords, pyromancer’s, redhead goodness, and twists and turns galore. As usual, Martin is the master of the reversal and this week is full of ups and downs. I’m still trying to figure out how they’re going to get an entire season and a half out of the parts of A Storm of Swords they haven’t covered… But as always, my detailed thoughts on the episode can be found on my blog.

15. Shane snow
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Is patchface def out?

16. Mike Chair
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

The moon’s dark side,

LOL

Arkash: Shireen is blonde

She’s un-blonde. What’s un-blonde? I’m not really sure. I think it has something to do with the fact that the actress is really blonde but the show appears to be trying its best to hide it. We discussed this a few weeks ago when this photo leaked. People were all “She’s blonde!” and other people were like “No, that’s just the light.” So blonde-gate was up in the air. Until Sunday night. I was really watching, and I really couldn’t tell. It was a tough call but … no gate. Blonde but not blonde. Un-blonde. There it is.

17. Cary Storm
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Arkash:
    Shireen is blonde… well… I dont think this means anything…
    The actress is amazing though !

It’s a side effect of greyscale. Turns “blood runs true” a different color.

18. Mike Chair
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm: It’s a side effect of greyscale. Turns “blood runs true” a different color.

Okay, I’ll buy that. I suspend disbelief just so we can have Kerry Ingram, who is cuter than all get-out.

19. kanjisheik
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Hey, could anyone who’s been following production tell me if Jon meets Summer in the village after climbing the Wall? Is that scene present in the tv show or not?

20. Richard
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

non-book reader here, I watched the episode twice, can someone explain in simple terms why Jaime held back on his side of the story with The Mad King. I get that he broke his Oath and he became a kind of fallen knight because of it, but wouldn’t telling his side of the story kind of clear the guy from any wrong doing? Or was it that nobody would have believed him with the wildfire stories?

21. Dunk
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I think it’s just pride…he should not have to explain himself to those below his station in life. His last sentence said it “by what right does the wolf judge the lion”.

22. Leuf
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Richard:

As a member of the Kingsguard he’s bound to keep the King’s secrets, so to explain why he broke his oath is only to make him even more of an oathbreaker. So if you are a stickler about it then his explanation only makes things worse. If you aren’t a stickler then you don’t need the explanation in the first place, because the King had it coming anyway. In his eyes someone like Ned is going to see the negative in it regardless, and he’s not going to demean himself by trying to win the approval of people that are beneath him.

23. Richard
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Leuf: As a member of the Kingsguard he’s bound to keep the King’s secrets, so to explain why he broke his oath is only to make him even more of an oathbreaker.So if you are a stickler about it then his explanation only makes things worse.If you aren’t a stickler then you don’t need the explanation in the first place, because the King had it coming anyway. In his eyes someone like Ned is going to see the negative in it regardless, and he’s not going to demean himself by trying to win the approval of people that are beneath him.

This is great, thanks for that.

24. Lea
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 12:13 am | Permalink

Dickon Manwoody,

OMG! “Demon queef” BUAHAHAHAHA I will never tire of these FB recaps. Thanks for sharing.

25. Kalacakra
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Just out of curiosity.
    How can an episode be attributed to a certain director when all the different ‘stories’ were filmed in different locations by different crews? An episode is just a mix of snipets of all these storylines that were filmed from start to finish no?
    Really not trying to be smart, just really would like to know.

26. Bryan Cogman
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Kalacakra,

They’re all filmed in different locations but the director of, say, Episode 5, directs every scene from said episode. The whole season is cross-boarded like one, big, 10 hour movie and the directors jump from set to set, unit to unit, country to country as needed.

B

27. Zack
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Bryan Cogman,

I always thought it would be interesting if directors were assigned specific storylines (which would presumably lessen travel expenses) because then each story would have a distinct style to it, although it probably would present other issues, like how they would be credited per episode. I wonder if that’s been done before

28. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 1:23 am | Permalink

Mike Chair: Mike Chair
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Selyse did say she had given Stannis “nothing”. At first I thought she was merely deeply ashamed of her daughter because in her truly insane mind daughters are worth less than sons and a daughter with a disfiguring skin disease is truly worthless and deserves to be locked away.

However, given all the fuss the show made about hair colors in season 1, what if the girl is in fact not Stannis’ to begin with and Selyse simply never fessed up to that? If Stannis were the biological father, the girl would be his legal heir and there would – strictly speaking – be no dynastic need for another child in spite of past failures to carry to term. I have no idea if this theory would be consistent with the books nor, frankly, do I give a rat’s ***. The show is free to tell its own story.

Also: there are medical conditions that affect a person’s hair color, but from a change from black to blonde? Usually there’s simply a loss of pigmentation, i.e. grey or even white hair. A wig would have done that trick. The show hasn’t gone that route, though.

In any case, I agree that Kerry Ingram is as cute as a button. The character she portrays has coped remarkably well with her parents’ dysfunctional personalities, marriage and parenting choices. Unfortunately, no good deed goes unpunished in GoT, so Ser Davos may well pay a heavy price for indulging the girl’s desire for friendship.

29. telobsidion
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 1:43 am | Permalink

Richard,

There is nothing new in the section below, just a book-reader’s perspective on the answer to your question based on what we have seen so far.

Honor is a tricky thing in Westeros. There would be no excuse that Ned would accept. Jaime had sworn to defend the king. That was that. Barristan basically admits that is what he was honor-bound to do. Even those that accepted his explanation may have just viewed Jaime with sympathy and pity, and Jaime didn’t want that. So he shouldered it and became it even though it chafed.

As much as we all love Ned, he could be a high minded ass.

30. Bryan Cogman
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Zack,

Don’t think that’s possible with DGA rules…

31. idkk
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 2:44 am | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

Elio responded to the whole “Blonde gate”, by saying that the black of hair thing related only to Baratheon-Lannister marriages and Robert having super-dominant genes. So its not out of the realm of possibly that a Baratheon could have lighter hair.

32. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 3:13 am | Permalink

idkk: idkk
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 2:44 am | Permalink
    Nagga’s Kin,

33. idkk
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 5:42 am | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

Check out this post: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81318-what-do-you-think-of-stannis-baratheon-some-spoilers/page__st__300#entry4124843 . The OP pulled some quotes on how GRRM views genetics in ASOIAF.

Here is the post I was originally referring to regarding Shireen: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/86313-interviewing-bryan-cogman/#entry4386134

34. Mike Chair
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 6:35 am | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin: what if the girl is in fact not Stannis’ to begin with and Selyse simply never fessed up to that?

AH HA!! She’s Jamie’s.

35. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 6:57 am | Permalink

@ idkk – ok, so GRRM is a bit fuzzy on Mendelian genetics and fudged the issue. At the end of the day, he is just trying to tell a ripping yarn so I’ll stop harping on it.

@ Mike Chair – all your fourth base are belong to Jaime!

36. msd
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Bryan, since you’re reading … Well done. I loved this episode. Yes, even more than last week. :)

37. Chickenduck
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin: It seems silly – and unnecessary – to assert that a particular dominant genetic trait would only assert itself in conjunction with those from one other family. I know it’s a fantasy world so GRRM can impose whatever laws of nature he wants to (variable length seasons, magic etc) but a story is always more believable if such poetic license is kept to a minimum. Even in Westeros, Occam’s Razor is usually a very good friend.

You’re right that the “only works if Baratheons mate with Lannisters” explanation is stupid, but I can’t work out if you’re also saying it’s not genetically possible for two black-haired people to have a blonde child. That assertion would be incorrect.

The simple explanation that works, is as follows:

1. In the real world, if two black-haired people both carry the recessive blonde gene, then on average 1/4 of their offspring will get the blonde gene from both parents and therefore be blonde. Shireen is the one in four chance. Everyone should go back and read their 9th grade genetics textbook and draw a punnet square if they don’t remember this part. Look up “heterozygosity” while you’re there.

2. Ned Stark never did genetics at school and is basing his assumptions on a pre-Mendel understanding of how inheritance work. He probably still got it right though.

3. It’s Westeros and there are smoke babies, resurrections and stuff.

38. Chickenduck
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Or are you saying that GRRM’s explanation of “Baratheon ALWAYS = Black-hair kids no matter what” is kind of stupid? If so, correct.

But who cares, there are smoke babies and stuff. This ain’t the craziest thing to happen in Westeros.

39. A wildling Bastard
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Robert Baratheon’s grandmother was a Targaryen as far as i remember ..

Posted May 1, 2013 at 8:45 am | Permalink

FYI Hear Me Roar added the following to the post:

UPDATE: Westeros.org has conducted another Cogman interview, it is a great and insightful read.”

Everyone should check out the interview as Bryan goes over the episode in great detail and explains the rationale behind many of the changes and alterations.

41. telobsidion
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

I’m not usually a stickler for hair color changes or what-have-you in adaptations, but the whole Baratheon trait dominance was a major plot point in season one. In this case, I think it’s important that Shireen have dark (if not black) hair. It’s not something I’m going to cry about and it doesn’t bother me that much, but if I had to comment, it’s a minor plot break. It’s not even about being inconsistent with the books, it’s about being inconsistent with the first season of the show.

That said, the actress is charming and I appreciate her take on the role.

(Additional Note: GRRM has said that it’s fantasy and he wasn’t going to concern himself with accurate genetics, and then went so far as to say that trait inheritence in his world is not the same as in the real world, so drop this talk of Punnett Squares at once!)

42. Turncloak
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

People complaining bout Shireens hair? It’s never been established that the seed is strong in Stannis so stop it

43. telobsidion
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

It’s pretty well implied that it’s a general Baratheon thing, but I’m not to harp on the issue. The conversation was going and I just thought I’d chime in my two cents.

44. Aegon Librarian
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

It’s a sad day when we’re given an episode (and indeed the entire show) like that to enjoy and discuss and we end up settling on a minor characters hair color. Seven Hells!
    cut these guys some slack.

45. Ser Hound
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Let’s just say grayscale lightens your hair. End of story. Move on.

46. Richard
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks, this is great.

Winter Is Coming:
    FYI Hear Me Roar added the following to the post:

47. Rickon Greyjoy
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

I didn’t even notice a strand of black hair on those fetuses either! Screw this show! I quit…. NOONEUNDERSTAANDS