Game of Owns: Bryan Cogmaaaaan
By Winter Is Coming on in Podcast.

We have another extra-special Friday episode of Game of Owns for you, dear listeners and readers. Game of Thrones writer Bryan Cogman joins the podcast to discuss the series and his latest episode, “Kissed By Fire”. Cogman! Cogman! Cogman!

Episode 92 – Bryan Cogmaaaaan

iTunes | Download | RSS

Description: Days after the release of the epic 5th episode of HBO’s Game of Thrones this week, the man behind its writing himself Bryan Cogman joins the show to hang out with Micah, Selina, Eric, and Zack to talk Thrones and beyond, all while answering your deepest and darkest question submissions.

Discussion Topics
Varys and Littlefinger
Sansa, in the Lion’s den
Writing Season 4
Bryan’s warning

1. Khris Hobkirk
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

First to say Hodor! That should please everyone.

2. Rutager
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Yes, you were the first one here when the article was posted, Congratulations!

3. Yago
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

This will be interesting :)

4. Tubsy
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Yes! Bryan Cogman to write 2 episodes for season 4, totally deserves it!!

5. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

So, the Podrick-as-sex-god plot line was just a bit of fun. Too bad, I was rather hoping someone had buttered him up so he’d inadvertently inform on Tyrion later on. I guess that would have made the subsequent whole Loras/squire interaction to tease out the Tyrell/Varys plot re Sansa a little too derivative.

6. Amanda M
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Bryan stops by WinterIsComing, huh? ;) Well in case you’re checking… Hi Bryan! *waves* Send ‘Ryan’ my regards. :P

Such an awesome interview! Thank you :)

7. WheelofIceandFire
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I doubt he will see this message (and dont really expect him to answer if he does), but i want to ask Bryan if the Arya/Hound relationship is developed a bit this year or if he just captures her and then this miss a few episodes before showing up in episode 9 at the RW? Do they have any scenes together in episode 7/8? Basically, Arya is my fave and i just want to know if she has much screentime and/or if she misses any more episodes? Arya missing more than one episode in one season is just to much :)

8. Hi-Fi
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Cogman is such a sweetheart. And very talented. Last episode was easily my favorite episode from the season, so far. And his episode in Season 2 was amazing as well.

Anyone else craving to see Selyse and Salladhor Saan interacting on screen? No? Just me? OK.

9. Veltigar
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

As a book reader I have to say that I really loved the Dragonstone scenes. A lot of other Stannis fans were disappointed with the first scenes in Stannis, but I haven’t heard any complaints about the Shireen – Selyse scenes. They were flawless to me. Episode 5 of this season to me is the best episode yet (episode 4 of this season second best and “What is dead may never die” the third). I’m very excited that Mr. Cogman is writing 2 episodes for season 4.

10. Scott Glennon
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Bryan-
    I am both in awe of you, and jealous of you. Oh to be in that writer’s room! Glad you are writing two eps for S4, I’m looking forward to seeing those. All the best to Dan, Dave, and Vanessa.

For Winterfell!

11. Arthur
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I really like Bryan Cogman.

He is intelligent with a great sense of humor and a firm grasp and understanding of the key elements of GoT…

Very happy he gets 2 episodes next season, congrats!!! I loved his creative adaptations and character mergings. The Stannis scenes in this last episode were awesome. Looking forward to seeing more of his TV adaptions next season. Good job Mr Cogman!

12. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Great show! Bryan, thank you for taking the time to feed our GOT obsession. :)

Bryan mentioned something about Stannis that because of Davos POV a lot of readers probably liked Stannis, but I was the opposite. I liked Davos and felt bad for him primarily because I felt Stannis treated him poorly. Also I couldn’t (and still can’t on the show) stand Melisandre. The idea that a man who wants to be King would let himself be so manipulated by this woman and her god who have their own agenda that hasn’t been revealed to us or to Stannis just seemed nuts to me. I couldn’t respect Stannis because of that. Plus, Stannis is such an absolutist and rigid in his belief system that he doesn’t seem like a very well fleshed out character. I don’t like rigid thinkers in the real world so I don’t want to spend time on them in a make believe world either. I am VERY glad that Bryan added the scenes with Selyse and Shireen because his character needs more facets. Just my $0.02

Thanks again!

13. Queen Arya
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Regarding animals: What about Zorses?

I like the example of addiction and withdrawal as an analogy of what Stannis is all about with Melissandre and the Lord of Light. That was good.

Thanks for the generous interview, Bryan! Nice to know we have some great writing to look forward to in season 4.

For Bryan,
    Your baths scene with Jaime and Brienne was especially brilliant; sensitively paced, beautifully moving as the dynamic between Jaime and Brienne was changed with each sentence Jaime spoke. I enjoyed the added intensity of the juxtaposed, squeaky clean Brienne and filthy dirty Jaime.
    The entire episode was strong, solid, like an anchor for what is to come. I was aware of the stationary nature of the episode, no one was going anywhere, so all the action had tremendous impact when it happened.
    Thank you for Shireen! I loved what you brought to her character with her friendship to Davos, who behaves as a real father to her. Another really strong anticipatory scene that was deeply satisfying.
    Let your work matter to those who care, e.g., the thankful fans, GRRM, your talented colleagues. For this humble person, art matters: Art makes life worth living. Imagine Shireen without any books. What a sad world indeed.

A wonderful podcast today! Thank you, GoO!

14. WompWomp
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

WheelofIceandFire,

Why do people like asking questions that watching the show will eventually answer?

15. The Bloodraven
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Awesome podcast, you guys were great and Bryan gave a lot of cool insight about the creation of the show!

16. Tom M
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Super discussion, love hearing from the writers. I get that doing dreams is difficult, except for Bran but how can leave out the Arya and her wolf when after the RW, Catelyn just floats away if not for Arya’s wolf? The wolf dreams are vital clues to all of the Stark children and their fates.
    Not to mention next season.

This podcast is the best thing I’ve heard about the show by anyone or four.

17. Walter Harrow
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I know this is kind of random, but i was just wondering if there are going to be more dreams with Bran and his family? It was great to see him with Jon, Robb and Cat and i would love if they included another dream where he is with Arya and Sansa. It would be great to see the young actors back together for one scene

18. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Dancing Bears wearing funny looking little hats and a vest

19. Turri
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

“It’s nice to know we’re working on something where all this stuff is actually going to pay off”.

Oh god please, please let him be right in the way I understand this.

Great interview!

20. WildSeed
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Very insightful discussion with Bryan ( Ryan ) Cogman, and his notions of
    the television series. What gets answered is his perspective of the story being
    taken in the present mode, than to focus on how it came to be ( I hope I said
    that right ). A few admissions disappointed me, but his overall enthusiasm
    for the production leaves little doubt. Perhaps the groundwork changed in
    concept, because of his only reading ADWD, and learning thereafter the
    end game from the author . While fans may experience slights or experience
    over the top expression of certain story lines, we fans are least spared a formulaic
    period piece because the commitment remains to produce a quality product from
    a wealth of choice material ( provided by GRRM ). The fact that the executive
    producers are true fans , with celebrated prod staff only ensures a award worthy
    cable TV series.

That said, I am very disappointed in eliminating Bran’s dreams, and possibly
    Jojen’s
    . While it may have led to great method acting by NCW, portraying
    Jaime, some don’t fully realize why the character has impacted us in the way
    he does. For that matter, Catelyn, Robb , Cersei or Selyse, either. The absence
    of betrayal or passionate response fueled the reactions by many of ASOIAF
    characters. The quest for power is undeniable, esp for those most pragmatic
    at heart ( a nod to Stannis , heh heh ), no matter how the streamlining takes place.
    The full sum comes up a little short by ignoring the enriching past (events and
    lessons ).

There is much time left to revise or change strategies for the future, so rejecting
    this wonderful show seems silly at the moment. While there will always cause
    to critique or complain about the show, I cannot fathom the enormous effort
    it takes to produce such an epic book series. I have nothing but respect for
    the work entailed to produce at this caliber . The overdue peer awards will
    recognize these as well.

I am really enjoyed the S1 scene with Robert and Cersei ( not sure if Cogman
    was on board), and writing to each actor strengths. This may allow for extra
    scenes or more wordplay. Shireen really captured viewers emotions in part
    because of the adoring actress but endearing script. This wasn’t as Shireen
    was depicted book wise, and without added companions, but it works for S3.

21. KingJon
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Great interview with Cogman. I would love if Cogman and D&D would do a DVD extra where they sit down with George in a roundtable discussion and talk about how they approached each season and book and the changes and character combos they made and why, sort of like some of things Cogman talked about here. A writer’s perspective is always fascinating to me and I would like to hear more from the writer’s perspective on how they approached such a daunting task as is adapting ASoIaF for TV.

22. House Snow
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

You heard him wrong he said Bran was exempt from that rule.

23. Markus
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Too bad about the dreams, I really would have liked to see Jamie’s dream, it is my favorite dream in the series. Really enters his subconscious, I also wish they had Ned’s dream in episode 6 in the 1st season. Arya needs to dream aswell, why not use dreams? Sopranos used it to great success, it suits visual media.

Posted May 3, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

For those of us too lazy/who don’t have time to listen, ARE flashbacks coming? And what was Bryan’s warning?

25. Darquemode
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Great podcast!

SCORE!!
    Cogman gets 2 episodes to write next season!
    Kudos Mr. Cogman, a well deserved honor. Or is it a well deserved challenge?

Glad to have official insight into the Arya and Gendry goodbye scene!
    I saw no romantic feelings from Gendry and was annoyed by those that took Gendry saying “M’lady” as anything more than self-acknowledgement of his station compared to hers.

Damn shippers can ruin my mood I swear!

26. Darquemode
    Posted May 3, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Lex,

There are no plans for flashbacks at this point and it is a very deliberate more to avoid adding even more cast to an already cast-heavy show. He said that he will not rule out flashbacks, but none are planned.

Also said that for the most part , Bran is the only one to have dreams or greensight. He noted that Sansa did have the one dream about the riot prior to her first flowering, but that was an exception.

If true that rules out a few incredible future scenes. Not the least of which being Arya’s wolf-dream of Nymeria finding Lady Stoneheart. Of course we can see that first hand, but it loess some of the tragedy to me if Arya does not ‘live’ that moment through Nymeria.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Darquemode,

Thank you!

Doesn’t sound like a huge deal, to me. But I hope they can throw in some more dream scenes later on for Arya and/or Jon.

28. Lars
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 1:44 am | Permalink

This was a very good podcast, and a very excellent and informative discussion with you, (B)ryan!

And I’m also a book reader who really enjoyed the Dragonstone scenes – probably my favourite from the episode overall.

A question just occurred to me, based on the talk about potential future shooting locations. When winter finally comes (as it may or may not have in the books) – Are all Westeros exterior scenes going to be filmed in Iceland? :-)

29. Terri
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:07 am | Permalink

Fantastic podcast! Great insight to Stannis and Melissandra.

30. Hiren
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Good podcast as usual. Interesting insights on Kissed By Fire.

Am I the only one who found the Jaime and Brienne relationship comments a little sweeping and spoilery and not episode specific in context? Spoilery in terms of GoT, considering their current interaction. Possibly even spoilery in a broader sense, ie TWoW and ADoS?

Maybe just me…

31. Lars
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:21 am | Permalink

Hiren:
    Good podcast as usual. Interesting insights on Kissed By Fire.

Am I the only one who found the Jaime and Brienne relationship comments a little sweeping and spoilery and not episode specific in context?Spoilery in terms of GoT, considering their current interaction.Possibly even spoilery in a broader sense, ie TWoW and ADoS?

Maybe just me…

Probably just you, I did not get that feeling at all.

32. Door
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 5:55 am | Permalink

Hiren:
    Good podcast as usual. Interesting insights on Kissed By Fire.

Maybe just me…

Why?

Posted May 4, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Two episodes! Yes yes yes.

34. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Podcasts like this make me think how lucky we really are as a fandom. We are going to get 80 or 90 hours of our favorite books on well crafted, high budget film.

35. sigue este enlace
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

very interesting podcast!

36. Summer Is Coming
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I am happy for you Bryan! Congrats! Can’t wait to see what episodes, the names (you have a perfect 3 out of 3, regarding this), and of course the episodes themselves, altough I have no doubt they will be great! I know there is little chance that D&D will give you ep 9, (the infamous one in every season!), but here is a humble suggestion: “A Lannister always pays his debts”.

Good luck for the future!

37. Felt Pelt
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Happy to hear that Melisandre’s upcoming fun with Gendry will involve a moment of wavering/humanity on her part (or it could be at the end of the season, as she loses influence to Davos). A lot of viewers see her and Stannis as sorcerer and bewitched archetypes and by that and increasing the numbers of characters in Dragonstone sympathies can extend from Davos to the Red Woman and her junkie.

38. WildSeed
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

House Snow,

I think not. The point was raised and B Cogman discussed this at length, to my surprise.
    Mentioning Bran Stark ‘s dreams, specifically,it was determined then that the
    relevance to Bran’s story spoke to interpretation of his dreams, not time spent
    doing so. It was mentioned that while in S1, he was allowed to, in bed, but this
    is not what viewers would expect from hereon. Cogman was emphatic about
    Flashbacks and dreams not very useful in depicting Any story onscreen. He also
    said any (preconceived concept ) could change in the future of the show.

Mr Cogman really perked up when conveying how much he enjoyed writing
    scripts for the child actors, and good thing, because his passion shines
    through for Maisie and Shireen. He has a difficult time with Bran’s role
    because much is perceived emotive/ dream state or out of action. That
    shows too, and not very well ( IMO ).

He did visit the subject of Warging and Greenseer abilities, albeit briefly. While
    respecting these as important elements of the books, there is no guarantee
    that we’d see much of this ( if at all ) onscreen. The best we’ve got so far is early
    scenes of Bran ( supposedly ) seeing through Summer’s eyes ( S3, & late S2),
    and Orell among the Wildlings. Viewers use their imagination, weigh in on the
    storyline. Although Jojen’s name came up, I don’t recall what Cogman or other
    writers have in store for him. My guess is Jojen is perceived as prophetic , and
    that’s that.

I’ve read a few print interviews with Cogman before ( Rolling Stone, et.al ) ,most
    with tidbits of snippits of his scope of the show. These are as forthcoming as
    the Entertainment Writers that only know the television series and not the books.
    These are often skewed towards the popularity of the show or cute actors, very
    superficial. This podcast allows Cogman to be at ease enough to clarify many
    central points to the show, with individuals who ‘s foreknowledge of the books,
    ask more intelligent questions. I must too include an interview with WiC, that
    revealed several gems as well.

Glad I listened to the entire podcast. If I got something out of context, pleas feel
    free to correct me. At some point during the interview, I decided to just enjoy
    Cogman’s candor than to critique his every word.

39. WildSeed
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Darquemode:
    Great podcast!

SCORE!!
    Cogman gets 2 episodes to write next season!
    Kudos Mr. Cogman, a well deserved honor. Or is it a well deserved challenge?

Glad to have official insight into the Arya and Gendry goodbye scene!

Damn shippers can ruin my mood I swear!

I have no clue why Gendry’s goodbye was interpreted as anything but that. On the
    other hand, there will always be people that wish to romanticize Any aspect
    of friendship.

Did you listen carefully about what’s in store for Jojen ? I’m not recollecting
    the details of that mention . What did Cogman say ?

40. WildSeed
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    Darquemode,

Thank you!

I hope the writers reconsider their earlier decision, and allow for these. I’m
    rather biased on the subject, but I agree with Darquemode about Arya
    & Nymeria’s Dreamsight for her mother. When Lady Stoneheart emerges,
    this really ties in the connection the Direwolves have for the Starks, in
    general ( and specifically Arya ).

41. Ryan
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

So the whole Podrick thing was never meant to go anywhere, huh? Well guys, I do not ever want to hear you complain about not having enough time to put in everything from the books ever again.

42. Richard
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Bryan Cogman > Twitter idiots

43. Monica
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Best podcast yet!

Cogman gets into the hearts of the characters, and we learn from his insight. It’s the character POV’s, that click with viewers. Cogman dreams it!

OK, well, two things. “Lost my hand? It’s right here.” There is no other man like Jaime, and I wish that he’d said it.

The other scene was when Rob cleanly cut off Karstark’s head. Shouldn’t Karstark’s beheading parallel Theon’s botched attempt in Season 2? In the book. I thought it was foreshadowing that they would both pay for oathbreaking. And they did. Did Cogman think it was too obvious?

OK, three things. The fetuses in jars was over the top. Shireen’s sweetness made up for it…and I’ll be paying attention to what she sings!

We love Gendry & Arya, and I had hoped for a different m’lady interpretation in the future. Arya ripped our hearts out, wanting to resurrect her headless father, and losing her family again.

Am I correct that Beric is like an undead Robin Hood?

Thanks to all for a terrific podcast! 5 stars!

We’ll look forward to those two episodes next year…

44. House Snow
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

WildSeed:
    House Snow,

Mentioning Bran Stark ‘s dreams, specifically,it was determined then that the
    relevance to Bran’s story spoke to interpretation of his dreams, not time spent
    is not what viewers would expect from hereon. Cogman was emphatic about
    Flashbacks and dreams not very useful in depicting Any story onscreen. He also
    said any (preconceived concept ) could change in the future of the show.

Mr Cogman really perked up when conveying how much he enjoyed writing
    scripts for the child actors, and good thing, because his passion shines
    through for Maisie and Shireen. He has a difficult time with Bran’s role
    because much is perceived emotive/ dream state or out of action. That
    shows too, and not very well ( IMO ).

respecting these as important elements of the books, there is no guarantee
    scenes of Bran ( supposedly ) seeing through Summer’s eyes ( S3, & late S2),
    and Orell among the Wildlings. Viewers use their imagination, weigh in on the
    storyline. Although Jojen’s name came up, I don’t recall what Cogman or other
    that’s that.

with tidbits of snippits of his scope of the show. These are as forthcoming as
    These are often skewed towards the popularity of the show or cute actors, very
    superficial. This podcast allows Cogman to be at ease enough to clarify many
    central points to the show, with individuals who ‘s foreknowledge of the books,
    ask more intelligent questions. I must too include an interview with WiC, that
    revealed several gems as well.

free to correct me. At some point during the interview, I decided to just enjoy
    Cogman’s candor than to critique his every word.

I don’t know what to tell you he said explicitly EXCEPT for Bran and that one dream with Sansa they aren’t doing dreams. I mean they already did four dreams for Bran and mentioned the sight. It really isn’t that hard to understand that they ARE doing dreams for Bran.

45. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Great podcast – the Podrick scene made me chuckle at least (and couldn’t believe it when people started speculating that he was a warlock or something!)

What I like most about Bryan’s episodes is he understands what moments in the books are great and he doesn’t start chopping bits out left and right. Another tv adapter would have seen the Jaime-Brienne bath scene and thought ‘this will never work on tv’. But somehow Bryan managed to cut down the monologue enough so that it really worked.

As for my own pet peeve, Bryan, if you ever see Aiden Gillen, can you ask him to go back to his season 1 accent? Really loved Littlefinger back then but his accent in Kissed by Fire was far too raspy.

46. WildSeed
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

House Snow: I don’t know what to tell you

Okay then.

47. WildSeed
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

This is old news ,but Theon’s script in ” What’s Dead May Never Die ” and the
    Pyke episodes in general were close to perfection.

48. WildSeed
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

Teleporting in S2 really took a lot out of him (: Get that man a Ricola *>* lozenge.

49. WompWomp
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

I remember seeing Patrick Malahide as Balon for the first time. When he first faced Theon after his first few lines I shrieked “YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS” at a frequency reserved for dogs out of sheer satisfaction.

Not even a Balon fan, really, It was just too perfect a casting. And his eyes, my god.

50. Gatehouse Ami
    Posted May 5, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Cogman for the OWN. Cogmantulations!

51. Hollyoak
    Posted May 5, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

The Game of Owns podcast has grown on me. I quite like it. They do quite a bit of joking but the main moderator (I don’t know his name) always seems to bring it back around to the show or the books or the guest. We’re lucky to have a show that has spawned such great fans and discussions.

52. Pau
    Posted May 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Excellent podcast

1. […] can’t afford to specifically write a theme for every episode as is convention on television. In a podcast at Winteriscoming.net Bryan Cogman also commented on his episode (Kissed by Fire S03E05) that they don’t specifically […]