Curtain Call: Esmé Bianco
By Ours is the Fury on in Editorial.

Ros

We long-time A Song of Ice and Fire fans can get a little smug sometimes about knowing the major plot points before the rest of the viewing audience. However, the brutal death of Ros in Sunday night’s episode “The Climb” shocked even the most jaded Game of Thrones fans. And so we unexpectedly find ourselves saying goodbye to her portrayer, Esmé Bianco.

esmeOriginally cast for the pilot as a nameless “redheaded whore” to introduce Tyrion Lannister, the actress was invited back and her character given a name because the producers enjoyed her performance so much. Until then, she was primarily known for her modeling and burlesque cabaret shows. Her newly created character of Ros was an amalgamation of several prostitutes encountered in the book series, providing a familiar face for the viewers to connect to among the smallfolk brothel workers.

With her ascension to Littlefinger’s right hand woman in season two, her fortunes seemed to be on the rise. She took on the role of training new workers and found power of her own. Ros’s desire for more in life rose to the surface and she accepted Varys’s offer to become a player in the game, and to become an informant for him.

But also with Ros, we saw the terrible slaughter of the bastards begin, and understood how the women of the brothels had to simply keep on working after seeing terrible things happen, every day. With her, we saw Joffrey’s monstrosity grow, as he realized there was truly nothing and no one who would stop him from abusing the smallfolk the king was supposed to be leading and protecting.

Ros in King's LandingRos was a controversial character for some, but Bianco was invariably gracious to fans. The subject of nudity and sexuality has been unavoidable when talking about her character but she handles the discussion in interviews with intelligence, insight, and humor.

It’s disappointing to see Ros’s story cut off, when her character was developing into something deeper with her expanding role in Littlefinger and Varys’s spy games. But in the game of thrones, it’s usually the smallfolk who bear the brunt of the damage and this time is no exception.

Farewell to Esmé and to Ros – going from nameless redhead to potential power player in less than three years is quite the climb, indeed.

1. Grijnwaald
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Hodor

Well done Esme, though I didn’t really like the character, she played her well.

2. Eleusis
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

She’ll be missed! She’s an absolute delight on twitter and in interviews, and whatever anyone said about her character (whom I personally enjoyed) I always loved her feisty, wry performance on the show.

3. Tomas Hedwyn Savage
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

A great character. Very real and severely underrated. She will be missed.

4. Hawk
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Three cheers for Esme!

5. caravaggio
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I really liked Ros, so much so that when I picked up the first book after watching the first season, I was dumbfounded to find she didn’t exist in the way she did in the show. Her character bubbled up from the screen like fresh champagne.

Sadly, yet brilliantly, she had a harrowing journey going up the ladder. Her death was harsh and brutal, but in keeping with the spirit of GRRM’s unsentimental capriciousness.

I will definitely miss her. She deserved better, poor girl!

Farewell, Ros!

6. May Hadfield
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I didnt care for her first season, but I really liked her this season. And now I’m sad.

7. KG
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I thought Ros was a necessary and useful character, played very convincingly.

It would have been easy to go with the cardboard cutout Hooker With a Heart of Gold, but Ms. Bianco brought a lot of subtle shading into the role – especially in the “Littlefinger says SMILE” scene.

Well done! Well done, and good luck in the future :)

8. Grijnwaald
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

More behind the scenes from Cat:

9. Summer Is Coming
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Her death gave me that feeling that I should have had at every death till now, and more to come… At this moment you can understand what means a character only for the show, and especially its demise… surprises come rarely for book-readers…

Ros had her purpose, and there were reasons for her existance! I’m truly sad to see her killed of…

Well done Esme, and good luck for the future!

10. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Good luck to a fine, fine actress. As a book reader (I came in after Season 1, tho), the one thing I don’t have the advantage of is the element of surprise. But with Ros, there was, because she wasn’t in the books. So her death really did hit hard, especially in the way in which it was carried out. I would have liked some kind of scene that gave her a send-off, much in the way Yoren got a nice monologue just before his bad-ass death, and Mormont, well, Mormont was Mormont.

But that wouldn’t have necessarily been true to the story itself, much as it would have been nice for the character. In that sense, she deserved better. But it really does bring it home just how brutal this world is. She did good work, and the character became stronger as time went on. I’ll miss her.

11. Cary Storm
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Count me as one book reader who grew to love Ros and was shocked and saddened at her sudden departure.

“And now her watch is over…”

12. Daemon
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Almost every Ros scene gave viewers-only something. Tyrion character development as a whore monger, Theon character development as jealous, insight into how big of a deal Jaime attacking Ned was, Baelish character development as ambitious (the hatred of this scene should’ve been about misrepresenting Petyr, not her involvement), Pycelle development as pretending to be senile, a recognizable face when Slynt killed the baby which later aided Baelish development as evil, replacing Alayaya when Cersei takes her, insight into the Varys/Petyr rivalry, and a way to warn the audience to be wary of Petyr’s dealings with Sansa. The Pod scene she was in was probably the only one with no meaning at all, and even that I suspect was to make her death have more impact. In sum, complaining about her involvement is, was, and always will be whining for the sake of whining by certain book readers. HBO is going to have nudity, and unlike the books we don’t get into anyone’s mind, so I don’t see the huge harm in combining the two. At this point her character has probably done all it has needed so she’s unnecessary but still sad to see her go.

13. Nick_Scryer
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Best Wishes and good luck in the future Esme!

14. zambi76
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Bye bye Ros. I’ll miss you. :(

15. Loki
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

I’ll still miss her, though.

16. serum
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

didnt mind the character ros as she provided a window of understanding for many other characters and certainly loved the job esme did with the roll! hope to see her other shows/movies in the future!

17. Chris
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

Totally agree. Ros’ death was like a punch to the gut. Mormont’s death probably should have had the same (or greater) effect, but I didn’t think his death was really emotional at all. A let down on the show.

Agreed that it would have been nice for Esme to have a last scene in her farewell episode, but somehow that made the death more powerful and shocking.

18. Sky Aero
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Sad to see her go, her story was really going places in S3 and wasn’t expecting such a harsh endings so soon!

Bye Bye Ros!

You teach them up there ;)

19. Clob
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I was enjoying her character as well. I didn’t really mind what the show did to create it as a change from the books. I like where they eventually got to with it and Esme was doing very well. Personally I think my thoughts of the character in season one were brought down less by Ros and more by association to Gillen in one of my least favorite scenes of the series, his ’15′ minute sexposition life story.

Ros had to either die or just basically disappear from the show this season. They made a good choice. They were essentially creating quite a major character that from now on doesn’t have a book role to fill. Continue to make stuff up or end it.

Good job by Esme. I think most people had come to accept the character.

20. Darquemode
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Sad to see her go honestly.

I was one of the group that always like her scenes and did not blame sexposition on her, nor meandering too long Littlefinger monologues.

I found her to make her scenes so much better than they could have been with a different actress. I enjoyed her performances, both undressed and dressed!

21. Assunta
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Was not a fan of the character at the beginning, admittedly clinging to book canon as gospel that first season. After accepting the series on its own merit (therapy and deep breathing exercises may or may not have been involved), I really came to enjoy Ros and her journey. So much so, that her death was unexpected and surprisingly upsetting. She was one of those characters that you kind of count on carrying on in the background to keep some stability to the story line. Killing her off in what seemed a cavalier fashion (no foreshadowing that I picked up on, off screen and revealed during a montage sequence) makes at least this viewer now watch the show with a heightened sense of anxiety. I like that. Well done, D&D.

It should be said that Ms. Bianco’s performance was always spot on.

22. Darquemode
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Clob,

Agreed.
    That terrible scene was all about Littlefinger and not Ros! She did not deserve the blame she received for it.

23. The Winter Rose
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Esme is a beautiful lady and I hope she goes on to have a great career, but I have to admit I really hated Ros and cheered when she died. Sorry to see the actress go, but not the character. Anyway, best of wishes to Esme.

24. fuelpagan
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

My very best wishes to Esmé and her future career.

I grew to appreciate the character Ros and loved what Esmé brought to the role. While I was certainly shocked to see her die, it makes perfect sense in connecting Littlefinger to what the future story brings.

I will certainly be missing Ros in episodes to come.

25. theMountainGoat
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

The day Esme filmed her scene with Peter during the pilot shoot in 2009 just happened to coincide with George RR Martin’s visit and our first BWB Moot in Belfast. Esme came down to McHugh’s Bar in the evening and hung out with a bunch of us fans.

I think Esme actually dressed down for her part in the show, she is stunning in person and I’m sure everyone who was there that night will remember her spectacular thigh high boots.

Ros has been a controversial character for some book fans, but I always felt Esme did a great job in the role and while I kind of knew she’d come to a bad end sooner or later it was a shock when it did.

Best of luck to Esme for her future acting career.

26. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

The Winter Rose,

27. Bittersteel914
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

What a beautiful actress…played the collective of whores very well…while still a brutal death, i’m glad to see she didn’t suffer the fate of Kyra, whom i originally thought the character was based…would’ve been difficult seeing Ramsay name his dog after her…

28. Ser Pounce-a-Lot
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Glad everyone seems to be over blaming the actress for changes to canon. she did a fantastic job and I always felt for her when “fans” misplaced their anger. hope she parlays the great work here into a long and successful career.

29. Joe
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Lovely curtain call. I really did start enjoying Ros this season, they were finally giving her more important things to do. Alas, that’s the game.

30. sunspear
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Or at least it would have if those photos hadn’t leaked.

Farewell, Esme! You will be missed.

31. ATG
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

So no Curtain Call for Rickard Karstark huh? Well thats a shame…

32. Jim Cross
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Good job Esme. I loved you from the beginning. I really was hoping that you would be the Game of Thrones equivalent to Lafayette in True Blood. A character not really from the book but a fan favorite. I’m sad to see Ros leave the show!
    I know that your role in Thrones will land you further jobs and I will surely check out anything I see your name on.

33. Alen
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I really liked Ros. She gave us an insight to the small folk. She’ll be missed

34. Viola
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

This is lovely article, Fury.

Esme Bianco is an incredibly sweet, gracious lady. And so damn smart. Her interviews are always a nice read. She understood the Thrones world so well.

I wish her only the greatest success in her career. She deserves nothing less.

Farewell, my darling. You’ll always be my Rose of the North.

35. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Chris,

Yep. Mormont’s death was a tough one to take, but for those of us who knew it was coming, it may have not been enough, except of course to see him nearly choke Rast to death (and be reminded of just how g-dammned HUGE James Cosmo is).

As for Ros, one continuity issue comes to mind:

–Did Cersei share her suspicion that Ros was Tyrion’s whore with Joffrey in Season 2? If she did, then having Baelish deliver Ros to Joffrey should have raised a red flag because he may have still thought she was Tyrion’s whore. However, it’s possible Joff had no clue about this (I don’t recall him involved in the scene with Cersei and Tyrion and (Meryn Trant?)).

If that’s the case, there’s no continuity issues – but it makes her death all the sadder as we see her being used in 3 separate situations as a toy to be played with/abused – first with Joff and the other prostitute, next by beatings administered by the Kingsguard, and then lastly as target practice for Joffrey. Taken all together, you see what a hard climb it even was for Ros to get 3 steps up the ladder only to be killed in such a brutal fashion.

Jeez. I just talked myself into hating Joffrey even more than I already did. F***.

36. sukeyna
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Esme did a great job in every one of her scenes. I was rooting for Ros to make it and hated to see her go out like that.

Rest in peace, Ros. You played the game as best you could, but the deck was stacked against you.

Good luck to Esme in her future projects!

37. UnRobb
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Wait, why exactly was my post deleted? I engaged in no personal attacks, was not vulgar or obscene, and did not spoil anything.

38. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

UnRobb,

I repeat, “Curtain calls are for expressing appreciation for the actor and their work. Let’s not turn this into a session of Ros-hating, okay? That’s not what curtain calls are about.”

39. WompWomp
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Chris,

I was actually impressed how quick and brutal his death was. The lack of prolonged sentimentality actually made it safer to me than a goodbye speech would have. It was so inglorious, almost entirely unfair to see him hacked down like that. Cosmo has plenty of other memorable death scenes to boot.

I like Esme’s scenes more and more as I rewatched the seasons. She’s a great tour guide to Westeros in her own right, and one of the most human characters on the show despite detractors’ claims otherwise.

40. WompWomp
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

Yeah, she was killed for sport, which makes it many times sadder than the usual betrayal. Remind you of anyone? :|

41. UnRobb
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Forgive me, I thought this was a discussion board, not a hugbox for those who love every single aspect of the show. I showed appreciation for Esme as a person and actress, but apparently we’re not allowed to mention our dislike of the character?

I’ll keep that in mind when Tywindies and insist that posters who mention their dislike of the character be moderated.

42. Dave
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

ATG:
    So no Curtain Call for Rickard Karstark huh? Well thats a shame…

Karstark had a really minor roll in comparison. The few lines he had always included vengeance or treason. The only real standout scene he had was killing the lannister boy and getting beheaded.

43. Jillybean
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Loved Esme from the beginning. As a book reader, the character didn’t bother me, and served a purpose. Then Esme took the character from just a sound-board to a fleshed out (no pun intended), compelling woman that I became emotionally invested in. She’s a beautiful, talented, down to earth woman, and I hope we get to see her in more projects in the future.

side note: I’m from a family who names their cars. Might not be a high compliment, but the subaru outback I purchased after the first season of GoT is named Ros. Partly for this character, and Rosalind (Shakespeare) and Roz from Monster’s Inc. Strange combo? Okay. But Ros is a good girl who gets me safely to where I need to go.

44. pntrlqst
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Ros, Tyrion’s supposed lover, will not have died in vain. Her death will reverberate into season four and beyond. Thank you, Esme, for providing this story with all you provided, which was everything and beyond — infinitely more than this fan base deserves.

45. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

UnRobb,
    Curtain Calls have a certain etiquette that typical WiC posts don’t have. They’re very positive since we’re saying goodbye and we’re appreciative of the actors who contribute to the show we love. You did far more than merely mention “dislike” of a character. Now let’s move on and keep this all about the Esmé appreciation.

46. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

<rant>

Esme Bianco did her best with a potentially great character that was always poorly conceived by D&D. The notion that you could cobble together half a dozen extras and still use the composite in the same way is patent nonsense: once you give an actor/actress a certain amount of screen time, viewers are going to care. They want to either root for the character or hate him/her. Feeling pity is ok for an episode or two, but not for 2 1/2 years. It’s not just a waste of acting talent, it’s abusive to viewers – especially in a show in which just about every other character has so richly nuanced and their screen time is necessarily cut short to make room for Ros. I also reject the notion that Ros somehow represented the plight of the great unwashed masses of Westerosi commoners. Most of those are farmers, craftsmen and traders – she was a prostitute.

Even D&D appeared to recognize they had a problem when they belatedly allowed Ros to get into the game a tiny little bit by conspiring with Varys late in season 2, but they could have done more. For example, they could have had shown her e.g. with a letter opener that she had the letter “J” engraved into after she was forced to beat up her friend with the royal scepter for Joffrey’s entertainment. That would have cost nothing, taken a few seconds and provided a subtle hint about what she wanted to do to the king if she ever got the chance. Instant crowd pleaser, but alas. We did see that Ros was horrified when the Gold Cloaks came to take Robert’s bastard daughter with one of the other prostitutes away, but we never really saw her following up on that emotion in any way, either, not even with an entry into a secret diary or some such.

Alternatively, they could have written a short scene in which she participated in or fomented the riot in King’s Landing, only to learn that mob rule – chaos, as Varys called it – is not a viable alternative to tyranny.

Instead, what we got was a character that was mostly passive with respect to events around her and even events she was part of. That was frustrating and annoying. There was emotional range, both playful (in season 1) and sad/vulnerable (in season 2 when LF foreshadowed her death), but she was almost always reduced to being a mere foil for someone else’s moment or gambit, a piece of warm furniture, a crude plot device. I get that Ros couldn’t afford to mouth off the way Arya does, but there are other ways to show resentment and initiative.

Of course, no sane person would wish anyone the death Ros ended up suffering at the king’s own hand. However, in some ways I’m glad D&D finally decided to terminate her story arc, because that arc was simply too flat to compete with GRRM’s original characters. Go big or go home. They went home, even if LF’s decision to literally sacrifice a pawn – any pawn – at this particular time to that particular customer did make sense in the series’ overall game.

</rant>

Esme Bianco is a charming and beautiful actress/entertainer, I wish her all the best and hope she will succeed in translating her fame/notoriety from Game of Thrones into more interesting roles in the future.

Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I didn’t love Ros, but didn’t hate her. I thought her scenes were always interesting, in the way that they illuminated other characters (particularly her early scenes with Theon, which showed how lost and pathetic he was).

I think Esme did a wonderful job with what she was given, and she was always extremely friendly and gracious towards the fans (online, in interviews, etc.). That’s especially impressive, considering the unfair and over-the-top hate and rudeness that was sent her way.

And of course, Esme was one of the most beautiful women on the show. Always a treat to watch!

I’m still not sure what I think of her death, because it was spoiled for me online. I probably would have been shocked that they killed her so abruptly. Anyways, here’s hoping Esme moves on to great things!

48. Caelra
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I loved the invention of the character as a window into the lives of the not-so-high-and-mighty, I loved the character herself and Esmé’s portrayal of her. I hope to see more of Esmé in the future! She has such charisma!

49. Baihu1983
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Thought she was going to end up taking Ser Dontos Hollard’s role towards the end of S3/S4 so this came as a shock to me.

Never had a problem with them giving her screen time.

50. Josla
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Ros was one of the most human characters in the show. She felt so sorry for Barra that days after she could not get herself sstraight. You’d think in a world like this those are everyday events which says something about her character. Ros (and Esme) will be missed and remembered for what she was: a character with a great personality and a very interesting storyline played by a very talented an d beautiful actress

51. Hollyoak
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Esme, if you read this, know that you have legions of fans, and we all thought you brought depth and realism to the character of Ros. You will be missed!

52. PetetheGreek
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

In season 1 I felt that every minute Ros was on screen was a minute taken away from another character. I found myself thinking, “Oh this sex scene with Ros was necessary, but we don’t have time for Arys Oakheart!?!” By season 2, I started to appreciate the perspective Ros afforded the audience and didn’t even miss characters like Jacelyn Bywater (cool, but not really necessary). By season 3, I was both intrigued and actively rooting for Ros to keep moving up in the Game. Kind of sad to see her go. Not sure that would have been possible without the amazing performance from Esmé Bianco.

53. Viola
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

I salute you for this. So very well said.

The character had a lot potential. And I feel Esme could have done wonders had she been given it. A lot have said ‘she deserved more than she got’. This applies to both the character and the actress.

54. Robbb
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

What I loved about her character and her performance was that in many ways the game of thrones was most dangerous for her. If she died there were no repercussions, no family members to come in and start a war, no one would give a shit. So she had to walk a very fine line. So many subtleties came across in her portrayal – from the dangerous and tormented in Season 2 to the wonderful flirtations of Season 1. I thought her acting was wonderful.

Plus she, by far, had the best tits on the show…she will be missed.

Good luck Esme, I’ll be looking out for your future projects with anticipation.

55. UnRobb
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

So be it.

56. Summer Is Coming
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

I was also a fan who thought Ros would take Dontos’s part… she meeting Sansa in the godswood, sharing stories, Sansa telling her side of Winterfell, the part of the highbornes, Ros for the lowbornes, eventually helping her escape… and LF telling her he knew about she spying for Varys, and then killing her and dumping her into the sea… that would have been heartbreaking…

57. H. Stark
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Good luck Esme! :)

58. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Esme, I will miss your fabulous smile. I really liked Ros and you did a fantastic job! You have many new fans now and I hope you go on to do great things!

59. Arkash
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

D&D proving us that they too can write characters and make them likable… and kill them just like that.

60. myrish lens crofters
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Oh Ros, I thought for sure you would live to become fake Arya .

61. fuelpagan
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

myrish lens crofters,

I thought so too!
    Very curious how D&D plan on solving that future issue now.

62. Fat Pink Mast
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

myrish lens crofters:
    Oh Ros, I thought for sure you would live to become fake Arya .

What are you sweet summer children possibly talking about. The woman is 31 years old.

63. Al Swearengen
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I’ll miss looking at Esme but I won’t miss the character Ros at all.

64. mags giantsbabe
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Fare thee well ;)

Jon Snow, she was the one redhead that got away. Or was Jon the one that got away?

:D

65. Perkins
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Glad to see her curtain call.

66. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

As an admitted detractor of Ros in season 1, I was actually fairly upset by her death in season 3. So all credit for that goes to Esme, who not only acted her part well, but seemed kind to a fan-base that was pretty heavily stacked against her to begin with. I wish her the best in all her future work.

67. NewJeffCT
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Best wishes to a lovely young actress. I hope she has much success in her career.

68. TH3WICK3D1
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Esmé Bianco will be missed, she is beautiful and talented, damn the haters. I hope she finds alot of opportunities after this. All the best!

OFF TOPIC:
    Book readers should totally check this out GoT Events its a graph like graphic that is awesome (fyi the Final Chapter is 343).
    Infact I would like to request OitF or WiC or FaB to create a separate post, i think it deserves one.

69. Gregory Kelton
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Bravo Esme! Thanks for the great portrayal. You will be missed!

70. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

A real beauty, and what a cool experience for her – to go from a one-day shooting role on the pilot to the scorn of purists everywhere, to a character a lot of us (the ones with hearts) are sad to see go. Congrats, and hopefully she’ll find more success in the future.

71. Dude
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Great actress, horrible character.

72. sjwenings
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

The character of Ros was always a bit meh to me, even when she started playing the game a bit. But I understand the way she was used as a window into different characters minds. I was always okey with it.

The “imfamous” Brothel scene with her and another prostitute probably deserves a mention – for me it was a pretty good and somewhat funny scene. I thought the assplay was quite fitting, and not at all “too much”. And Littlefingers speech was good, and, let’s not forget, actually the focus of the scene.

Esme played her character very well, I actually can’t remember anyone complaining about her acting-abilities. That says a lot considering all the – often immature and poser-like – critique she got.

As for her death and thus exit from the show… I’m neither here nor there about it. But it was a powerful image, to be sure, and fit nicely into Littlefingers philosophy about climbing the Powerladder in times of chaos.

So in conclusion: I never got what all the fuzz – be it negative or positive – was about.

She was hot, though – wow!

73. Nancy
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Esme thank you for your work on the show. I hope she moves on to bigger and better things!

74. Arthur
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Ros became to much of a lightningrod for criticism and negative debate (espically on this site). This fact became like a distraction from the show itself and because of this I think D&D were wise to write her off.

I never liked the character Ros and how she was mostly used in season 1-2. However, I had nothing against the actress Esme. I think she is a beautiful woman and brought Ros to life with great acting according with the material she was giving.

I wish Esme the best of luck and thank her for her contributions to the show.

75. Ser Sleez
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Good by sweet Ros, you and your magnificent breasts are dearly missed

76. Bryon Blofstein
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I hope this is a start of a great acting career for Esmé Bianco. Would be great to see her in another role!

This also means more room for new regular characters next season which is needed!

77. fuelpagan
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Fat Pink Mast: What are you sweet summer children possibly talking about.The woman is 31 years old.

I figured being a prostitute she knew enough of the Winterfell gossip to convince anyone who never met Arya. The connection to Theon was already established and gave a reasonable excuse for him to risk defying Ramsay in order to set her free. Besides, how convincing fake Arya is to being real Arya isn’t even important in the book. Anyone who knew Arya knows Jen is a fake. It’s the word that Ramsay is marrying Arya Stark that moves the plot.

78. Mike Chair
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

The legend of Ros, the Ubiquitous Red-Headed Whore, has ended.
    The career of Esmé Bianco, the talented and beautiful English actress will continue. I wish her good luck, even if she doesn’t need it.

79. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

TH3WICK3D1,

That is an interesting… graphic? Flowchart? Something. It’s easy to forget the sheer scope of the world GRRM has created. I’ve read all the books numerous times but that really puts into perspective the task that D&D have of adapting all of those relationships. And the herculean task of adapting that for television. I don’t think you can look at that and not realize, yea, we’re gonna have to cut some characters.

80. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Plus, as someone else pointed out once, how many guys did Ros fuck in Winterfell? That ruse would never work.

81. Servile Frey
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Farewell Ros…. Even Joffrey couldn’t miss from that range! IMO it is a tribute to Esmé’s superb acting that she managed to turn a character of scorn to a character appreciated by the majority of book readers and non-book readers alike.

82. Hawk
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

that entire plot line will probably be cut on account of it being too confusing to Bill Simmonses…

83. Leuf
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Every time they get me to think “Oh, this could be interesting” about something not from the books they kill the character that was getting interesting in the next episode. Oh, conflict beween Irri and Doreah? That could be… oh, Irri’s dead. Hmm, so if Tyrion arranged with Ros to make Pod think he’s so great in bed but she even keeps up the act with Varys and he doesn’t see through her, what does that mean for.. oh, nevermind, she’s dead.

84. WildSeed
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed Esme’s character from the start at Winterfell, she served a
    purpose to the story in general, then specifically highlighted the
    shenanigans at Kings Landing. I was relieved the final script for
    Ros left out the details of her brutal torture. In this case , a picture
    did leave a lasting impression, a thousand words……. as we are
    engaging in. RIP Ros.

85. TH3WICK3D1
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Shock Me Sane:
    TH3WICK3D1,

oh yeah it is massive indeed, I too have read it a couple of times and still don’t recall some of the minor characters here. Indeed I endorse the cutting of characters, its the only way for the show to continue without having to get bogged down by extras and unnecessary fluff (I’m not saying its fluff in the book, only for the show it could be considered fluff).

Lets not forget the work Jerome Cukier put into creating this graph… flow chart… infographic??

86. Icebird
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I’ve enjoyed Ros on Game of Thrones. Her character served to simplify the story by filling multiple roles, she’s beautiful, and an interesting part of Kings Landing politics and intrigue. She was played very well by Esme Bianco – certainly any complaints I’d have about Ros would be on the writers but those would be small complaints. I’ll miss her.

Funny story, a non-book-reader friend was telling me how Ros was better than Ygritte, (so far as redheads go); I totally disagreed and couldn’t help but laugh when Ros’ character was killed of a day or 2 later.

87. Person
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

TH3WICK3D1,

I have trouble reading that graph and I think some of it is inaccurate. Tyrion not on team Lannister? Jory in team Targaryen?

88. Tina
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

She will be missed!! Well done.

89. Servile Frey
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

James,

I thought Ours is the Fury explained his reasons quite succinctly, Ros has been ‘critiqued to death’ in many, many blogs. What’s wrong with a curtain call showing a little respect and admiration for the actress?

90. Caedes
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Good idea for a character, not so good development.

Okay actress for the role. Excellent actress with the fan community.

Best of luck to Miss Bianco!

91. Fat Pink Mast
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

fuelpagan: What’s age got to do with anything? Natalie Dormer is playing a woman in her late teens.

No. Ros being fake Arya is just an indefensibly dumb proposition. We have no idea how old Margery Tyrell is in the show- if she followed the general aging up pattern that most of the young characters did, Margery is probably about 22. A 31 year old playing someone in their early 20s is reasonable.

92. mariamb18
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Was not of fan of Ros in the beginning but grew to like her. She deserved a better end than dying at the receiving end of Joffrey’s crossbow.

I was, however, always a fan of Esme. Such a beautiful, charming woman – I wish her well.

Love these curtain calls!

93. Thomas
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

She had grown on me. I was fairly convinced that she would take the role of Jeyne Poole in later seasons. In retrospect, it seems like a wasted opportunity D&D didn’t decide to do so.

I know she’s older, but I thought they’d pull some twist where Ramsay would be offered Sansa instead of Ayra. Dunno, thought that’s where it was going and thought it was reasonable.

94. PatD
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

She left a cultural mark (“sexposition” will always be associated with Ros), and her character died as she lived: a gorgeous target for potshots from other characters as well as fans.

Best Wishes, Esmé.

95. Siobhan
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Esme did a great job with the material she was given. She embodied her character exceptionally, breathing so much life into Ros that I grew quite fond of the character over time (even though I still had moments of “they should’ve used these minutes to focus on X instead”). Even though I was critical of the scene with Littlefinger and the other prostitute in s01e07, I really enjoyed how the character evolved as she tried to make something of herself and there was less and less sexposition. I wondered what D&D would do with her next. Some of the fan theories about which character she would replace next were a bit daft, but I felt like it wouldn’t have been so crazy for her to take on the role of Kyra somehow given that she had some history with Theon. Such speculation has been ended abruptly and I will miss it almost as much as the character and actress.

Particularly given that Esme didn’t focus on acting before this, I think she did brilliantly and I really hope that Game of Thrones kickstarts an acting career that will lead to us seeing her in plenty more roles, assuming that’s what she wants. Thanks and good luck!

96. Bocephus
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Well Ros, I just got the first crops in the ground. Perchance you’d like to mosey on over to the beautiful state of Maine so as we could pursue our one sided appreciation. Plenty of food and woods all ready split for next wintah. Course, if you aint done learned how to skin a squirrel I’s gotcha covered. Seven Hells, I seem desperate. Buts my wifey loves to share. Oh and Great job representing a character purists were so critical of. Bravo Esme, and best of luck in your career.

97. mlegendre
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Farewell Ros, I enjoyed your presense.

Speaking of curtain calls, what about Rickard Karstark? Not a huge amount of screentime but the actor added a lot of depth to a character that was pretty flat in the books in my not so humble opinion…

98. Prince of Pentos
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

We love you Esmé Bianco. You were one of the season one veterans, and will be missed. Good luck!

99. mimi
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I too became fond of the character Ros. Esme is a grand actor and made it more than I expected. Well done.

OT – top US baby names for 2012. A quote from the article on CNN:

“Arya and Major were the fastest-rising names for 2012. Arya’s popularity stems from the show and book “Game of Thrones”, while Major is a military name featured on reality TV show “Home by Novogratz”.”

Thank goodness it wasn’t some of the other …odd……GoT names!

100. Daine
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

I ended up liking and rooting for Ros, because she was a woman taking on the world on her own terms. It was nice to see a female in the series that wasn’t noble, especially one that managed to improve her life so much through tenacity. I’ll really miss both the character and the actress.

101. fuelpagan
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Fat Pink Mast: Whats utterly unreasonable is Ros the whore, an established adult character in her late 20′s/early 30s who’s been around since the pilot suddenly passing for a kid. That’s irrational nonsense. Everyone else around her looks the same, and Arya has seemingly doubled in age? Sounds like a somewhat funny internet video. That’s about it.

In the TV show Arya isn’t going to be a kid anymore by the time that storyline is needed. And practically everyone who’s seen fake Arya knows she is fake. They don’t care. And it’s not like Ramsay is parading her around for everyone to see anyway being locked in that room. What’s ridiculous is expecting the viewer to be convinced some stranger can just play fake Arya. So Tywin just conjures up some Arya look alike that wouldn’t even know her way around Winterfell castle?

Jeyne Poole wasn’t established in the first season and I would have bought Ros being fake Arya claiming Arya developed quickly, easier than I would some raw recruit from Kings Landing having any idea about who is who in the north.

102. The Rabbit
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Thank you Esme for everything you did in GOT and you can be proud of it.
    Good luck in your future and I ll miss you on the show!

103. Drew
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I really came to like Ros, and then D&D pulled the cruelest joke and killed her off. Probably to troll the purists… I am a huge book fan, but Esme was great, shame the writing in seasons 1 and 2 didnt handle her like they did in 3. Atleast she went out having won over some of the audience, myself included… someone who used to curse everytime she got screen time.

104. Yellow Dog
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I started watching the show several episodes into the first season, at the recommendation of a friend. I hadn’t even heard of the books.

One of the first scenes I watched was Ros and Theon’s sex scene. Her standing up to Theon in defense of both Tyrion and herself – “Might surprise you. He’s good with his fingers, too. And his tongue.” “Then get yourself a wife” – won me over completely.

I ordered all five books the next day. I imagined every undifferentiated prostitute as Esme’s Ros, and wished that Ros could pass along some of her worldly wisdom to fatally naive Sansa.

Well done, Esme.

105. AngryRosFan
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

During season 1 I thought the show runners were using Ros too much for gratuitous reasons, but she grew on me as the seasons progressed. I think she provided a valuable perspective for the common person amidst the power players while fulfilling the composite role of a sex worker to replace a bunch of other named whores from the books. I grew to care about her, and now she’s been cruelly snatched from this life by a mad and sadistic King.

-AngryRosFan (MarySNJ)

106. Gatehouse Ami
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

We’re lucky to have known you, Ros.
    Best wishes Esme, it was a stunning exit! Just sad.

107. TH3WICK3D1
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Person:
    TH3WICK3D1,

oh yeah noticed that too, Jory seems to be a mistake, regarding Tyrion it could be argued that he wanted him to fall under the “neutral” section. And Tyrion (BOOK 3 Spoiler) is not loyal to Lannister, the end of the 3rd book

108. Ed
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Ppfftttttt… Wow. (chuckle)

caravaggio: Her character bubbled up from the screen like fresh champagne.

109. David The Grey
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury, thanks for including the picture of Ros on the turnip cart, heading off to King’s Landing. That picture brought a smile to my face as I remember her playfulness with a wistful Theon from Season 1. How innocent our characters were, way back when.
    Seems like once you get involved in the game of thrones (intentionally or not), there’s no easy way to get uninvolved. I was not spoiled, and so therefore was shocked by Ros’ final fate. That Joff!!! I’ll never look at a crossbow the same way again!
    I’ll miss her! I thought Esme’s performances were good – my favorites were her teasing Theon as she rode off to HOPEFULLY biggger and better things, and then all of her appearances as a spy for Varys. (In particular, the scene where Varys hires her is a good one – with her acting the role of a “business” woman, and then when she finds out who Varys is, a sharp change into the real Ros.)

Sad to see another character go!

110. Mike Chair
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

AngryRosFan: I grieve for you Ros … you shall be avenged in the gods’ (a/k/a David and Dan) good time.

Good words. BTW, I think it’s totally within GRRM’s twisted mind to throw in a reference to a certain red-headed whore named Ros in one of the next two books just of f*uck with us. That would be Ros’ ultimate revenge.

111. Viola
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

He, apparently, is including her in some capacity. Just a small cameo. Oh, the possibilities.

I’m rooting for her to come back as the leader of the White Walkers. But that’s me.

112. HouseLark
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

I liked that Ros gave do e depth to the miscellaneous prostitutes of the books. Esme sold the character well and I hope she didn’t have to put up with too much grief from disappointed book purists.

The best compliment I can pay Esme is that I hope to see her in many more TV shows and films in the future. Good luck girl!

113. ATG
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Dave,

I am in full disagreement with your statement, Rickard Karstark’s role is far more important to the storyline than that of Ros. And I think the actor was really able to make him a memorable character, maybe not as memorable as Ros but still memorable nonetheless. If characters such as Kraznys mo Nakloz and Ros are getting Curtain Calls(and they DO deserve them) then Lord Karstark deserves one as well.

Its a shame really, that no one seems to care about him.

114. WinWolf
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

ye if any1 karstark deserves a curtain call aswell

115. TrappingsOfPower
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Esme Bianco is a rare beauty and a very talented lady. Cheers.

116. Kyrenna
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

You know. I can understand all the plot reasons to kill off Ros now. I agree with them, show-wise. Book-wise, after aSoS, I don’t think we see Chataya and Alayaya much, so seen from there, fine too. Those two taken together, I might even have seen it coming.

I still find myself shocked at Ros’ death, and sad we’re not going to see lovely quirky Esmé Bianco anymore. There are characters who have a head start because I liked them in the books and I care less about them on the show then I do…well, did…about Ros. Says a lot about her acting :) and then I read in the comments here GoT was her first acting job? Ha. Wow. Do hope we see more of her soon.

117. ikertzeke
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Well done Esmé! I will miss you!

118. Omar Brown
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm:

Same here! :(

“And now her watch is over…”

119. GDG
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

I always liked Ros (bigtime crush on the actress) — Glad she was part of the show. She did a great job and had a memorable death! :)

120. Stretch Wallz
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

As vice president of the chocolate viewers of Game of Thrones we are sad to see Ros/Esme leave….the 7 kingdoms are a lot less sexier Sunday nights. We will require more Daenerys/Emilia and much less Skeletor a.k.a Ole Lady Tyrell to balance out the loss

121. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

It’s a testament to the actress that so many people have commented here. I know many more “casual” fans that were extremely upset over her death. Her final scene had some powerful, disturbing imagery.

And to the actor who played Rickard Karstark: you didn’t have a ton to do but you did it admirably.

122. Eleanor
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Jillybean:

side note:I’m from a family who names their cars.Might not be a high compliment, but the subaru outback I purchased after the first season of GoT is named Ros. Partly for this character, and Rosalind (Shakespeare) and Roz from Monster’s Inc. Strange combo?Okay.But Ros is a good girl who gets me safely to where I need to go.

That’s absolutely adorable. :)

Ros deserves to be remembered!

123. Mike Chair
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Jillybean: the subaru outback I purchased after the first season of GoT is named Ros

I have two snow blowers. One is a 12.5 horse power. The other is a small 6.5 hp. They’re both red. I was thinking about naming the 12.5 Ygritte for obvious reasons. But, after reading that post, I’ve changed my mind. I figure Ros was a whore in the north. She must have … serviced … her share of bastards there. Fine. The 12.5 is Ros. The 6.5 is Tyrion. If I ever have the wherewithal to purchase a red Corvette, I’ll call her Esmé.

124. Arthur
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Didn’t Cogman tell a poster on these forums to:

“Hang a picture of Ros up and throw darts at her or whatever you do”

That was a cruel joke… He purposely chose to say that knowing that’s kind of what Joff does…

Pretty funny…

125. Alex
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Goodbye Esme, I liked your character.

Her death wasn’t shocking , just a little surprising.

126. Arya Dunyett
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I was shocked and saddened when I saw the tragic end of Roz, a character necessary though pitiful in the scheme of Westeros.From small town whore to big city courtesan, her character was glue that held many of the other threads in place. And Esme played the part with such elegance, grace and intuition.
    But she’s apparently even more beautiful and gracious in real life.When watching the video of the LA premiere of season 3, the red carpet was abuzz with folks jostling to interview the show’s headliners, but in several interview camera shots we saw the regal beauty of Esme, sparkling away in black lace behind the featured players, stealing every shot she was in. She’s a lovely woman and a fine actor. Maybe there’s another role in this ongoing production that calls for a stunning, brilliant beauty.
    Since D&D and George are so taken with her, understandably, there might be a way to bring the lady back on board. I’ll miss her and I’d love to see her again.

127. lost northern
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Eleusis,

i’m backing you up on all you said

128. Alan
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

fuelpagan: Where has it been established what Ros’ age was? I thought the character was in her late teens early 20′s to start with.
    In the TV show Arya isn’t going to be a kid anymore by the time that storyline is needed.And practically everyone who’s seen fake Arya knows she is fake. They don’t care. And it’s not like Ramsay is parading her around for everyone to see anyway being locked in that room. What’s ridiculous is expecting the viewer to be convinced some stranger can just play fake Arya. So Tywin just conjures up some Arya look alike that wouldn’t even know her way around Winterfell castle?

What age people are supposed to be is irrelevant. Esme Bianco can’t pass for Maisie Williams in any world. Sophie Turner is at least a bit less of a stretch, but the former is laughable.

Ages in the book have not point. The audience’s perception of the character’s looks and age is what’s relevant. And those Esme could never pass for Maisie.

Esme turned out to a very capable actress for someone who many people thought was hired mostly for her looks. I enjoyed her character as she progressed and thought it was fitting that she was tripped up and lost as she tried to play a game above her station.

She thought she was a player; but she was just being used. I’ll miss Ros — it was great to not know what would happen to a character again.

129. James
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Good actor, just a pity that her character’s storyline was so unrealistic. Her rapid raise to (apparent) power and literacy didn’t really match her backstory from Season One. I think that most of the negative comments came from her character being mostly used in sexposition scenes – that is certainly the case for me at least.

Again though, I think that Esme is a very fine actor who did well with the material that she had to work with. I hope that she goes on to bigger and better roles in the future.

130. sunspear
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

As a person who had never heard of the books until after season 1 (and then read them all in half a year), I never thought Ros was a waste of space or a bad actress. Sure, her one scene with Littlefinger was over the top, but other than that, she was a good addition to the cast. I wish Esme the best of luck.

Alan,

I agree with you, and I want to add, that yes, Jeyne Poole did fool some of the Northern Lords into believing she was Arya, and her being able to pass for Arya did matter to the plot.

131. JD
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

All winter rose said was,

How on earth is that bashing? everyone is entitled to their opinion, he can still give his best to the actor and not like the character, i absolutely despised craster but the actor was great, so basically you cant say how you feel? You must suck up and lie, not everyone has to like everything you know.

I have no ill will toward the actress whatsoever, and wish her the best of luck in her career however im not sad to see her go at all, she was annoying and took valuable screen time, but i dont bash those people that do like her

I guess its not okay to post your opinion on this site, more of a dictatorship than a place for fans to come and express their opinions if you ask me

132. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

JD,

It is very easy to ignore the post altogether or to wish an actor best of luck without stating, “I really hated your character and I cheered when she died.” Not sure why that’s such an issue, but it is the standard expectation for curtain call posts around here. It’s not a new rule.

133. Ser Tahu
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Still waiting on Curtain Calls for Rickard Karstark and Jaime’s hand…

134. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Everyone out there who feels the need to be critical right now?

You have had 3 1/2 years and many, many posts to do this. They’re still on the site, even.

So let’s leave this one as a place of appreciation.

135. Steven Swanson
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber:
    Everyone out there who feels the need to be critical right now?

So let’s leave this one as a place of appreciation.

Censorship! I demand my rights!

136. Krats
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

I’m a book reader who actually really enjoyed her character. I thought the way they killed her off was disturbing.

137. KG
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

UnRobb,

Boohoo yes you are just a terror of the internet who cannot live by our puny rules. Whatever. Go away.

138. Baramos
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

I think it was the “PLAY WITH HER ARSE!” scene that soured people on her. Her scenes with Theon in season 1 or her scenes in season 2 were perfectly fine, even welcome.

139. Slings and Arrows
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

As a book reader I dont mind when the show deviates from the books as it creates interest and Roz did that. Esme did a wonderful job being earthy and beautiful. For me though her storyline was just beginning. How did she learn too read, what where her motivations for looking after Sansa just northern loyalty or something more maybe she was a Snow or a Rivers if that is the case why and how did she end up in such a vulnerable position.Or given the deal they make about Ygritte and her red hair she could even have been a spy planted by the Wildlings first in Winterfell then taking the chance to get to Kingslanding the heart of power. There is a certain amount of evidence for this in the texts.

Roz was becoming politically motivated and in many ways is a truer if more subversive image of the Brotherhood without Banners as portrayed in the books, the Sister without Friends as her base motivation was the death of the baby and abuse of her co workers.

Roz was a wild card in the Show for me and Esme played her perfectly surviving and thriving in a world where the powerful are abusive and corrupt in the end the tragedy of Roz is that she was always to vulnerable to the powers that be, it will be interesting to see if anything comes of Varys promise of protection he failed to protect her but will he avenge her because unlike Ned this time he did make promises and we know he can play a long game but thats not the game he is playing in the books.

140. Lars
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Esme,
    I’m a “book fan” who appreciated your character, its purpose in the show, and how you performed it.

Your presence (& beauty) will be missed – best of luck in future endeavours. :-)

141. Omar Little
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Esme created a great character. Ros was beautiful girl with a heart, and her death was tragic yet powerful. Congratulations on a job wonderfully done!

142. Monica
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Great character! I enjoyed her progression, and how she worked her way up the ladder with wit and intelligence. Joffrey will pay!

143. Zack
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 12:57 am | Permalink

I like how this topic already has 20 more posts than the one for the Old Bear.

144. Selmy
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 1:23 am | Permalink

Bravo Esme, because of you’re excellant and strong acting, you’ve become a minor character that everyone will remember for a long time. I apreciated what you brought to Game of Thrones. Farewell and may the Lord of Light be with you.

145. Spryte
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Not only was it intriguing to see Ros rising in the ranks, it was great to see Esme’s progression as an actress. Her emotional scene with Littlefinger last season still stands out to me as one of the most memorable scenes in S2. She’s certainly got the chops and has a great career ahead of her.

And I looove that picture of her in the black dress. She looks like a real-life Jessica Rabbit. Gorgeous!

146. JP Dayne
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 1:46 am | Permalink

gl to the actess, the best good looking girl in the series
    AND she went out with sean bean
    I thoroughly envy him

and come to think cersei and dany are supposed to portray the two most beautiful women in the world… sigh…..

147. Pepi
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 2:00 am | Permalink

I thought her death was powerfully done with LF saying “the fall breaks them” over it, so I can’t really complain too much. She has grown on me, though. Liked her visually since day one, but it wasn’t until second season, that I began to really appreciate her acting-wise. Definately one of the biggest deaths this season, (imo) second only to LC Mormont.

148. GrzebykK
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Baihu1983: Thought she was going to end up taking Ser Dontos Hollard’s role towards the end of S3/S4

I’ve never thought about it, but it would be a good idea.
    Now the chance is gone.
    I’ve always been in Team Ros, I liked the idea of melting multiple girls of certain profession into one strong character. I especially loved her interaction with Theon in season 1. For me, she was the one who made an inception in Theon’s mind about him being a player in game of thrones which lead him to taking over Winterfell.
    So she seemed quite strong in the beginning. Later however actions of Littlefinger, Cersei and Joffrey showed, that her strength is an illusion.
    Her death was a shock. It was my first WTF moment in the series. It showed, that D&D had learned well the lessons GRRM had given them.
    I will miss Esmé Bianco. I loved her portraying strong woman in cruel world. I liked her portraying a terrified woman when Joffrey showed his true face. I didn’t like her death.

149. Nadine
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 5:08 am | Permalink

I also expected that she will take Ser Dontos role, so I was really shocked that she even died before. For me her death was almost as shocking as Neds haha
    I like the actress and I liked her role. She gave so many prostitutes a strong face. In the books I didn’t care for Chataya and all the others, but Ros will be in my mind for a long time :) Farewell Esme!

150. damryn of dorne
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 6:03 am | Permalink

Going to miss ros. Thank god no one else will die this season!

151. elena
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 7:22 am | Permalink

damryn of dorne,

who tells?

152. Red Hound
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 7:23 am | Permalink

While I wasn’t a fan of the character, I didn’t really understand the hate. She was a mix of several different characters, and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. From a mixture of unnamed characters, we got a prostitute from the north that ended being LF’s right hand, she probably started to have her own dreams…and all was crushed, in order to remind us how cruel the world can be.

I don’t feel how she stole any time from other characters, as if she wasn’t there, an unnamed or a small extra character would have had to replace her. Someone had to be there and there and do stuff.

153. Unbowd UnbentUnHodor
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Summer Is Coming:

i always thought this would happen too :( rip bootyful

154. jkb
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 7:46 am | Permalink

not sure if i liked ros as much if esme wasn’t so fucking cute but whatevs. more power to her. good job.

155. Rygar
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Esme, Esme Mucho. I want to bite off your Elvis lips and rest my weary head upon your bosom. Hope to see you on Boardwalk Empire. Great performanceand you made the most with the hand you were dealt.

156. biobi
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Alex,

I agree, in fact Littlefinger prepared you for it. Also, she didn’t become a “player” she was just a piece, and probably knew it.

157. Jon
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Gonna miss Ros and always thought Esme was a great little Actress, hope she as a great career :).

158. Hime
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Good ridd… err, luck in the future.

159. Judy McKee
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

I felt sorry for Ros and I did like her a lot. What Joffrey did to her was appalling. We will miss her.

160. loco73
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I love the women of GoT. Thanks to the fantastic job that Nina Gold and Robert Stern have done we have been lucky enough to get an amazing ensemble of talented actresses. Esme Bianco was certainly among them.

As I mentioned previously, I read the books and though Ros does not explicitly exist in the books, her character on the show is a composite of some that do exist in the books. I am sorry to see Ros gone and of course by extension beautiful Esme Bianco. RIP Ros, and all the best in the future for Ms. Bianco. Good luck in all upcoming endeavours!

161. Bryon Blofstein
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Mike Chair,

My 2012 red AWD Charge is named Ygritte.

162. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I say to hell with all the whore-haters who didn’t like Ros. I thought including the story of one of Littlefinger’s sex slaves, in order to shed more light on the true motivations of characters who book-readers know next to nothing about (because they don’t have POVs), was a brilliant idea.

Plus, Esmé Bianco did an awesome job in the role. She’s super hot, first of all, and she had great chemistry with her co-stars. So, I don’t understand all the vitriol.

I think the hatred for Ros is more rooted in Littlefinger than it is Esmé Bianco. Believe it or not, but LF actually had a legion of fans before the show premiered. That’s because book-readers never get a true picture of who he really is. We only see the faces he puts on for others. But we never see him in his element, where he’s free to be himself. When we first meet him, he’s wearing a mask for Catelyn & Ned. And then he puts on a different mask for Tyrion. And yet another one for Sansa. But we never get to see who he really is or what drives him. And, Ros totally blew his cover on the show. He’s no longer the enigmatic slickster he is in the books. We can see straight through him now, thanks to Ros. And I like that. I can understand why some don’t. But I think their Ros-hate is misplaced.

163. Hawk
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Varamyr Fourskins,

we have yet to find out LF’s true end game, or what precisely he wants, or if he wants anything precisely at all (he clearly enjoys PLAYING the game of thrones more than any other character in the novels), but it’s easy to get a true picture of who LF really is in the novels…

the TV show has simply gone over the top w/ him in making him a caricature of a villain, as opposed to using the subtlety by which he is characterized in the novels…in the end you have largely the same character in both mediums, but one with more sadism to his character in the TV show…

you of all people should know, b/c I know you spend time at Westeros.org, that it’s a fallacy to lump all the book readers into one category of anything…

164. Helen
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I really liked Ros from the very beginning! I thought Esme Bianco did a great job. Someone previously mentioned that she brought more to what would have been simply a “whore with a heart of gold” role, way more than another actress could.

I’ll miss Ros on the show for sure! :(

165. El Beto
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Didn’t like the character, liked the actress

166. MATTHEW
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

How amazing did Ros’s corpse look!? Like the cover to a mid-20th century gothic pulp novel or movie cover. Lurid and disturbing and beautiful at the same time. I love Esme and her mile-wide smile; I will miss Ros!

167. Julie
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 1:24 am | Permalink

I will miss her and the character. I guess with King Robert gone and Tyrion being in a committed relationship and Littlefinger going to the Vale the script writers didn’t know what to do with her. It shows Joffrey hasn’t changed… he just is less evil around Margery than Sansa. I would have loved to have the writers show Ros when she realized she was being given to Joffrey. I bet that would have been worth a statue at some award show for best acting in a TV show.

168. KB - Denmark
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 7:22 am | Permalink

I command The Lord of Light to resurrect Ros!!!

169. Lina
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I was never a fan of Ros, not because of her personality but because I always felt her scenes took away time from other characters who are more important. Frankly, while her death was sad, I won’t miss her.

But Esme did a great job and deserves a lot of credit for playing a character so disliked. I hope this role opens more opportunities and I wish her the best of luck.

170. kindly man
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Hated the character. There went a big roar in our house when they showed ros. Some of disgust and some of relief.

Nonetheless, the actress did a wonderfull job. I wish here best of luck in futere roles

171. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Here’s to Esme Bianco, an actor who proved that if you work hard with what you’ve been given, you can make it into something more…like THREE SEASONS on an AWESOME SHOW!!! Congratulations on making Ros into a character many truly cared about, and best of luck in your future endeavors too! Huzzah!

172. Ser Jon Allyrion
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 2:10 am | Permalink

The first appearances of the infamous redhead made me ponder. It was Season 1 and all I wanted to see back then were the faces of my beloved characters from the books. Little Arya, witty Tyrion or the handsome yet evil appearing Kingslayer.

But actress gave a splendid performance and the writers developed her brilliantly. Someone complained about her passiveness, her only use being a tool to shed light on other characters.
    On the one hand, yes that was obviously here job, but it also at the same time painted the picture of the perfect pawn in the Game of Thrones. Someone who is used as best as possible, until the only purpose for that piece on the chest board is to sacrifice it for another move. I think in her storyline we see again the essence of what the Game is all about (You win or you die), and how cold and unforgiven this world is, George RR Martin created for us.

So thanks to the writers for seeing the opportunity. And most of all, thanks for a beautiful, sensual actress who brought the role to life.

Ros will be remembered. That’s for sure.

173. Arya
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 4:21 am | Permalink

I really liked Ros and Esme from the first time I saw her in episode 1. Esme was perfectly cast as Ros: She’s charming and played her character really well. It didn’t hurt that she had a pretty face and the sexiest body of all the women in the show! Her death scene was both surprising and sexy at the same time. She will be missed!

174. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 7:49 am | Permalink

I’m more than a little disappointed in fact there are snarky comments in this thread. Esme did not write her role, and even the greatest book purist would need to admit she plays the role of several characters. She did her job well, and was kind with fans even though many book purists hated her.

The TV adaptation is it’s own thing people. There are close to 1.7 million words of GRRM still written down that aren’t changing because of the show. Plus, a perfect book adaptation would have Dany sitting in Mereen for 3-4 years. Does a single sane person alive want that on the TV show just because you cannot deviate? Cause the ratings would drop through the floor and we wouldn’t even see the end of the series.

175. MATTHEW
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Shock Me Sane,

Er, the vast majority of the comments here were very positive toward Bianco, even by those who didn’t care for the character.

Especially compared to usual anti-Ros vitriol, they were actually nice.

176. Rimshot
    Posted May 14, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

I had the good fortune to meet Esmé several times. She came to our Moot in 2009 and was a great guest. Very approachable. I remember she had an air of mystery about her as noone really knew anything about her character, except she was the ‘Red Headed Whore’.

I also had the very good fortune to be an extra in the Turnip cart scene (carrying sticks up the King’s Road) so I spent an afternoon watching her and Alfie work (although we were discreetly moved out of sight when they shot ‘that’ bit!). She was very gracious on set and was having a laugh with the cart driver and didn’t seem to mind all the waiting round as the crew (and the 1st AD at one point) pushed the cart back to 1st position for yet another take!)

I hope she has a great career.

Farewell Esmé

177. John
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Doesn’t anyone else think that since Ros is not in the books she could easily be brought back with the story line that Varys anticipated Little Finger’s actions and made his captured sorcerer make someone look like Ros?