Game of Owns: Game of Thrones Ascent!
By Winter Is Coming on in Podcast.

It’s Friday and that means another brand spankin’ new episode of Game of Owns. And this time we have not one, but two special guests! Rich and Tim from Disruptor Beam have joined the podcast to discuss their Game of Thrones social game, Game of Thrones Ascent.

Episode 95 – Game of Thrones Ascent!

iTunes | Download | RSS

Description: On this special Friday episode of Game of Owns, join Zack, Selina, and Micah in a sit down with two of the brilliant minds behind Disruptor Beam’s massively multiplayer online video game, Game of Thrones Ascent.

Discussion Topics
Rich and Tim from Disruptor Beam!
The New Ways vs. The Old ways
Creating an interior story
Releasing content with the show
GOO Alliance

1. Grijnwaald
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Hodor

:p

2. Omar
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

After playing the game for 2+ months, gotta stick to my initial assessment that its pretty horrible. The only reason I’m still playing it is the GoT brand.

The main guy from distruptor beam said he didn’t want to make a game which just had mindless clicking when really thats all you’re doing in the game. The main thing to make it fun: PvP / balance is almost non existent & all they’re focusing on is flavor text quests and churning out new content for people to spend $ on.
    All the marriage stuff nets you a useless stat “Power” which does nothing in the game.

On the bright side, the sheer disappointment motivated me enough to learn scripting so I can make my own text-MMO.

/rant. Really hope the dev’s get their act together.

3. Talal
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Omar,

You are right.
    I enjoyed the game first thanks to the GoT brand, but after playing some weeks, I got bored. Not by the clicking, but because it is too scripted. I mean, whatever the level of your sworn swords, if the script says that you must win, you will win. And if it says that you must lose, you will lose.
    I had several examples of that, and that’s why I stopped playing. In fact, I stopped playing after a too obvious scripting problem. During a quest, I used one of my sworn sword which had a level sufficient to beat the enemy on the “intrigue” points. But, by mistake, I choose a fight action. My sworn sword had 0 point in fight, and he won against an enemy having 60 or more fight points.

And there is in fact no real interaction with other players. Before playing, I thought that we would start with a small land, and then we should create our own army, alliances, … to go and kick some asses and really fight with other human players for the Iron Throne. I was disappointed to be so far from the truth :(

I hope the game evolves to be more interesting in the future, so that I come back to it!

4. Kyrenna
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Talal,

what was your Keep stat in ‘fight’, I wonder. Because, you know, those add up to your sworn sword stats, n all. Game still wasn’t what you were looking for, but I couldn’t help myself commenting on that because the quests chances are one of the few things I still like about it :) Theres a cap at 95%…meaning you can always fail, nothing is sure. Just like ‘real’ Westeros.

I’ll be listening to this when it’s not time to sleep. Especially interested in the ‘Off season’ part. I like the concept well enough, and the early days lag is mostly gone, but there are so many irritating bugs…

5. Talal
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Kyrenna:
    Talal,

I think my keep stats were around 80 at the time. I might have mixed some figures, but I remember that the odds were really not in my favor!

And another time, my worst sworn sword (30 in fight) was able to go through the Kingsguard (500+ in fight) to slap the king. Even it is always enjoyable to slap Joffrey, well, it’s kind of disturbing for someone like me who believes a lot in figures!

6. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Okay, well I just tried to start playing Ascent via Facebook and I created a name, chose a face and then clicked the ok button and it changed my name. So now there’s no obvious way to start over and I can’t find a way to email support. Getting started should be the easiest part. Sigh…..

PS: I’m a computer programmer by trade with other 15 years experience, so I actually do know of what I speak.

7. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Talal,

8. Talal
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 5:03 am | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ: Well to be fair, a game that lets multiple people interact is pretty advanced and I don’t know how much time, how big their budget was for this game or how facebook servers could even deal with a true multiplayer game on that level. Of course, this is the first game I’ve ever even tried to play on Facebook. So far, though, it’s too simplistic for my tastes too.

Well, Facebook has a billion monthly active users, and some games like FarmVille were played by tens of millions of users, so it’s really not a Facebook problem!

9. Kid
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Loras said not “French” but “fringe” sleeves.
    How can that happen that I (russian) know that, and some english-speakers dont? O_o

10. Hertolo
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Yeah, have to agree. I was pretty disappointed by the game since it’s mostly just a timesink. Everything takes ages and then you ‘click yourself’ through the path. There’s practically no free choices you can make (click on one of the three ansers) and where you can make them (i.e. the 3×3 action choices or the equipments), it gets needlessly complicated without adding to the game. I have played til where you can reincarnate and I still didn’t get what the differences inbetween the skillings, the various quests or the equipments choiches are gameplay wise.

And I feel that’s the point of it, it’s a facebook game, so it’s really not about the gameplay (which is horrible), but about the story. I however don’t like the “wall of texts” the game operates with, so I mostly didn’t read them. And I am not going to spend money on these companions or ‘episode specific item packs’ they advertised on the podcast.

So I would have hoped that the podcast would have asked questions more in that direction, but on the other hand, f.e. from Selina’s comments in the podcast, I got more the impression that they are more into the “lore” and roleplaying side, instead of the gaming one. Which is fine, but I just feel, that the game doesn’t deserve the praise on that high level since it’s more of a time (wait til you can perform action x or your sworn sword y has arrived back from z or…) and money sink than anything else.

PS: My ideal game would be more simplistic in regards to your keep (less buildings, less counselors, less actions), include a map and more cooperation inbetween players. They could also have smaller ‘games’ and roll them back once in a while…
    PPS: I know I said before they are big for roleplaying and storytelling, but on the other hand they have you teleporting across the whole of Westeros and every big character on both side of the war treats you as a confidante, so I have to take that back to a degree…

11. computer stopwatch
    Posted May 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I visit every day a few sites and sites to read content,
    however this blog presents quality based articles.

12. leah
    Posted July 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

there actually is a way to restart… go to character, click on your face, and it will offer you a chance to restart. you will lose everything, unfortunately :(

13. Baron BearTrap
    Posted July 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

leah,

Except for the pay content, of course. You get to keep that.