Looking Forward Ep. 28 and The Want-Ads
By Winter Is Coming on in Speculation.

Shae and Tyrion

Oz of Thrones:  Hola from your Unsullied leader, Grey Oz Worm, coming to you from an undisclosed location where there are many bikini-clad women, shirtless men, plentiful adult beverages, and hopefully some epic music from a plethora of bands (ten points to whomever can guess my locale).  In fact, as you read this, I am probably standing in the middle of a bunch of twenty-somethings jumping up and down and raging, or whatever they call it.  They likely think that I am too old for this shit, which is probably accurate.  But I would submit to you that no one else where I am has a walking cane that doubles as a beer holder, and that comes in handy.

The Theon Rule:  Please make note that the Theon rule is in effect for this post.  If you are unaware of this rule, it simply states that no one, not even myself, can speak his name the rest of the post or in the comment section.  Doing so will demerit you ten points.  On Monday’s Newbie Recap, WiC contributor Ours is the Fury had to step in and squash some spoilers as well as some speculation that could lead to spoilers.  Let’s not do that to him this weekend.

Instead let’s try and put this situation with aforementioned character to bed for a bit:  The Sullied know what happens in the end.  The Unsullied have no clue.  A lot of viewers-only may have a theory on who is torturing said character based on visual and spoken clues.  Some may not, and there is a fine line between spoilers and speculation that could lead to spoilers.  With that being said, let’s not beat the dead kracken anymore and instead hope for resolution, which is likely the only thing that will stop the  _______ theories.  If you feel the uncontrollable urge to talk about Minus Penis, then answer this question……

Why do I feel sorry for Jaime and all that he has endured this season, and I have little to no remorse for that other tortured guy whose name I mustn’t speak?  And does anyone else share the same sentiments or am I just a heartless Jon Snow?

Westerosi Want-Ads/ King’s Landing Klassifieds

If Westeros was real, would it have a newspaper?  And if it had a newspaper, wouldn’t it include a classified section?  If so, here is what might be currently listed:

Auctions

• The Hand of the Kingslayer:  Looking for a piece of Westeros history to hang on your wall, or to put in a shelf box for all your friends to see?  Look no more.  The Hand of the Kingslayer is an actual hand, autographed (although you can’t read it since he was right-handed) by Jaime Lannister himself.  Auctions start at one copper each (but it will cost you 60 coppers per one copper bid) on kingquibids .com.

Foreclosures

• Notice of Foreclosure, default having been made in the indebtedness secured by the Iron Bank of Brothers executed by Kraznys, a single, slave trading, potty mouth man (deceased and grilled to perfection), for the property located on the coast of Essos, most recently referred to as “Astapor”.  Notice is hereby given that property (and what is left of the city) will be sold at public outcry, to the highest bidder for gold, in front of the Slavehouse at Yunkai, so long as there are no Dragons on a Couch blocking the entryway to the city.

Free To A Good Home

• A Hound:  This wonderful guard dog has been trained by the best and is ideal for protection of castle and property.  Lacking in social skills, this Hound is not necessarily a suitable companion by any means, and his loyalty is somewhat marginal.  He does not like to be petted, or warm cozy fires.  On the upside, he is a veteran of protecting a King and Ladies, but only if he likes them.  He is known for killing young boys, and kidnapping young girls.  OK…. more negatives than positives.  But what do you expect for free?

Wanted

• Personal Hodor:  Woman looking to purchase or trade for a personal Hodor, or a big, burly man of the same type.  This includes doing chores and heavy lifting; carrying a woman from place to place; being allowed to snuggle up against the big teddy bear since winter is coming, and  most importantly can speak only one word and is incapable of arguing with a woman who is always right.  My dream man!  Please apply in person!

Employment Opportunities

• Wedding Planner:  Seeking a qualified applicant who is organized and willing to travel and work weekends.  Currently five area weddings planned with potentially more to come.  Must be friendly, outgoing, and willing to work with brides and grooms who may not necessarily want to be locked in matrimony.  Benefits include flea-bottom pay, paid travel via mule, and meeting Lords and Ladies you would otherwise only dream about meeting.  Risks include, but are not limited to, losing your head.
  • Fire Starter/Fire Maintainer:  Lonely, cold couple with infant seeks experienced fire starter/ fire maintainer for long walk to the Wall.  Benefits include getting to hold a baby, staring at dragon glass, and hearing an overweight Crow sing.
  • Moving Target:  Entry-level position available as living/moving target for King Joffrey and his new, extremely accurate crossbow.  Benefits include excellent pay, getting to meet the King and the eventual Queen, access to a Maester, and quick promotion……. If you survive.
  • Brothel Employee:  LITTLEFINGER SAYS COME WORK FOR ME, AND CLIMB THE LADDA!!!  New opening! Brothel employee needed to start immediately to replace recently deceased employee (Don’t ask).  Send a Raven Resume to Lord Baelish, aka Littlefinger, and get ready to climb!

Looking Forward Ep. 28

How about some closure to one of the following:

Arya:  If anyone deserves to be in good place right now, it’s our little warrior princess.  Arya has been through the ringer:  lost her father, taken away from her sister, unable to find her brothers, and has been split from Pie and Gendry among other things.  Seeing her reunited with Rob and Cat would be a nice, temporary break from the inconsistencies in her life.  But now she is with the Hound, and who knows what he may have in store for her.

Bran to the Wall?:  It seems as if our Stark buddy and his brother have been traveling to the Wall for a while, and making very little progress.  I am not sure where this story line is going, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we got there and moved forward with it.  Jojen also intrigues me, and a little more screen time involving him with some meaningful movement would be much appreciated.

That Greyjoy Guy:  Shall we say anymore about Minus Penis?  Let’s not, and hope that the reveal and other answers are given……. Soon.

A Wedding:  With five on the schedule, let’s get one out of the way.  I am not naïve enough to believe that all five will actually take place, but getting one done would be a good move if for no other reason than not having to speculate on all of them during the offseason.

Other Notables:  In the preview,  Tyrion looks pissed.  It would appear as if Tyrion and Joffrey have some type of disagreement, and Paw Paw is coming to step in.  That scene alone looks fantastic.

Will Dany free the slaves of Yunkai?  Probably.  But I imagine it will come at a cost.  And will it be worth it?

What is about to transpire with Gendry and the Red Woman?  Blood? Sex? Magic?  Shadow Baby #2?

Will Rob find out what Bolton has done with Jaime?  And what will be his reaction?

What is about to happen with Sam, and is there more to his story line than we expect?  A man can hope so.

And finally, will we see Lysa Arryn before the season is over?  Please, by the grace of the Seven, make it happen.

What are you looking for closure to before the end of the season?  Remember, a man and many of his army are Unsullied, so please for the love of the Seven, NO SPOILERS!!!!

Hasta Luego!  A man is off with Ozzette to take in some tunes from bands, most of which I have never heard of, and to consume copious amounts of ale.  Wherever you are this weekend, I hope you and yours have a great one.  A man will see you Monday for the Newbie Recap of Episode 28 before GoT goes on Spring Break.   Whatever is in your future this weekend, a man wishes you peace in your realm.  -Oz

1. May Hadfield
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I will so take the Hound. *grabby hands*

2. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Because Jaime did something noble before he became reviled? Because he was motivated by love and wanted to protect his family? Whereas “he who must not be named” was motivated from insecurity? Could character motivation be the answer? I am a Sullied and I have always, in show and books, had more sympathy for Jaime than I did for “unnamed”.

Oh, and OZ, this post was funny as hell! Thank you

3. May Hadfield
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Also, whatever happens to Gendry, it should happen shirtless.

And where do I pick up my Hound?

I’ll shut up now.

4. AJC
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Wherever you are, I wish I was there! Revision sucks!

Looking forward to seeing Davos and Shireen this ep., enjoyed their interaction last time.

5. Natalie
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Probably because Jamie is better looking. I truly believe this has a LOT to do with it even if no one would admit it. And yes, even if you are straight male I still believe this I be a very very large reason for it.

6. Turncloak
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Correction: it’s the Iron Bank of “Braavos” and not the Iron Bank of Brothers

7. Johnny Mac
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

If you’re at the Hangout Music festival…I’m gonna be insanely jealous. I couldnt make it this year……

8. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Natalie,

Probably because Jamie is better looking.

Hmmm, good point for the TV show and I agree it does have a psychological effect on why we like people. But in the books we don’t get to see them. I read the books years ago and I felt the same way as I do watching the TV. I think it was because we get to read their internal POV’s and quite frankly, Theon’s mind shows us an insecure, immature and selfish young man with little empathy for others and very little self-introspection. Jaime’s internal dialogue is simply more appealing. It’s just too bad that we can never see that internal dialogue in the show unless it is baldly put into a soliloquy of some sort (thinking here of LF’s sexposition scene where we get a glimpse of his motivation while the (ahem) “ladies” cavort in the background).

9. Nancy
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Natalie,

I would have to agree. I know I am in the minority when I say that I have more sympathy for he who must not be named than Jaime.

10. quasadu
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I think the disparity between sympathy for Jaime and for the other guy is due to a natural admiration for self confidence, independence, and temerity. Jaime has consistently shown those qualities – he is his own man. He has had some learning experiences – being lectured to by his father, getting shown up by the Young Wolf… but these things have only made him stronger (mentally if not physically). Losing his hand almost broke him – he needed Brienne’s help to not just give up and die – but he’s made it through the worst and seems to be again becoming stronger for the experience.

In contrast, The… other guy has consistently shown his own weakness in those areas. He isn’t his own man – he’s trying to live up to what the world expects of him, trying to impress Robb, his father, Ros, anyone… because he needs someone else to validate him and make him feel like a man. And every time he makes a mistake, instead of learning from it and getting stronger, he just makes more mistakes trying to “fix it.”

I am not a psychologist, but that’s my guess as to why the difference. We admire and respect self confidence, and one of these guys has it and the other doesn’t.

11. Daniel
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

You’re in Miami!!

12. Shmurb
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Five weddings? I feel like I haven’t been paying enough attention to the show, because I can only think of:

Tyrion and Sansa
    Joffrey and Margaery
    Edmure and the Frey girl
    Cersei and Loras

Whose lucky number five?

13. Tabes
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

To my unsullied friends, It’s all leading somewhere, it ALL matters. That’s the beauty of it. Love reading Unsullied comments, my fellow book reader threads have become so ridiculously cynical over one episode. And still a good episode imo, it’s all part of a larger picture. This is amazing television and I am confident the rest of this season will be spectacular….sit back and enjoy.

14. GerB40
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I’ve read the books and i have to say, i envy you jammy unsullied bastards. I’ve had theories proven right and theories completely squashed and you lot are in that process now.. Keep up the guessing, i thoroughly enjoy reading other peoples thoughts on this amazing series. Oh ya people who spoil are c*nts…

15. Pau Soriano
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Cancún?

Btw Ours is the Fury is a she ;)

16. Mimsy
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Shmurb,

Everyone forgets Little Finger and Lysa.

17. RichMan
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Marriages –
    Tyrion and Sansa
    Joffrey and Margaery
    Edmure and the Frey girl
    Cersei and Loras
    #5 ->
    Little Finger and Lysa
    will be without maid of honor Sansa Stark

18. I Know of Fear
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Nancy:
    Natalie,

I would have to agree.I know I am in the minority when I say that I have more sympathy for he who must not be named than Jaime.

I thought I was the only one. I was one over by the man who expressed remorse for harming two innocent kids in a desperate attempt to endear himself to the family and society he was ripped away from, only to realize he had abandoned the only family he knows and dishonored his “real” father.

I can’t get over the guy who pushed a boy out the window in a ruthless and cold blooded attempt to hide his bedroom activities. And didn’t someone with access to the imp’s knife hire an assassin to finish the job? I was unmoved by the sorry of why he broke his oath and became Kingslayer, we already knew that the Mad King had to be dealt with and that monologue didn’t seem to have much sadness anyway. And oh yeah, he strangled a cousin that he could have worked with to plan an escape instead.

That said, I am rooting for Jaime now that he has decided to help Brianne. That is a noble-ish cause taken up by a complex character rather than a straight villain. But I don’t need to be sympathetic just because I want him to succeed before he losses his head to Robb.

19. Daniel
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

House Minor,

You just spoiled a bit in your comment…

20. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Johnny Mac,

Johnny Mac is the winner. Ten points to you sir!!

21. Jentario
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Knowing vasically where they’ll stop, I can be fairly certain season 4 will be amazing. As for the next few episodes of this season, NO SPOILERS FOR YOU!

22. Theon's Missing Junk
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Hating THEON is such an uncultured and proletarian opinion to have.

THEON is the mpst complex, interesting and real character in the series. He’s got serious issues and is thrown into some impossibly difficult situations. I think the reason a lot of people don’t like THEON os because he is *too* real, and not a boring heroic cliche like a lot of the Starks. He isn’t a paragon, has difficulties dealing with his problems and makes blunders and that just hits a little too close to home for a lot of folks.

The THEON loving master race will continue to laugh at you filthy disgusting mongrels who refuse to acknowledge one of the most brilliantly written characters in fiction

23. Yago
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Jim,

What part of “no spoilers” don’t you understand?

24. superkick
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones: Johnny Mac, Johnny Mac is the winner. Ten points to you sir!!

enjoy trey anastasio band!

25. Jim
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Yago:
    Jim,

What part of “no spoilers” don’t you understand?

Not my problem. I put it in spoiler text.

26. Yago
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Jim,

Doesn’t matter. No spoilers at all here, with or without tags.

27. Jim
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Yago:
    Jim,

Doesn’t matter. No spoilers at all here, with or without tags.

Post says nothing about a certain *greyjoy.* Go lawyer someone else.

28. Card of Doom
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

GerB40,

Couldn’t agree more. Especially about the c*nts

29. Yago
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Jim,

Still a spoiler. No spoilers here. How hard can it be?

30. Jentario
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Theon’s Missing Junk:
    Hating THEON is such an uncultured and proletarian opinion to have.

That doesn’t make him any less of a child burner, but okay.

EDIT: And the way he treats women is more than repulsive as well. The man is an asshole to the bone. But he is getting better. On the other hand (pun intended) Jaime is redeeming himself- the bear pit and saving Brienne as well as the fact he never did anything truly bad- killing the Mad King was for the good of the realm and pushing Bran out of the window could have saved his whole family: the life of one innocent child against the lives of 3 and on top of that his lover and himself.

31. Theon's Missing Junk
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Jim,

Maybe not but your post mentions something that happens probably 2 seasons from now… in an unsullied thread. I mean why would you even post that, in spoilers text or not.

Not a rhetorical question, why did you post that? You knew that the poster coildnt possibly be referencing that event as it obviously hasn’t happened this season.

32. Theon's Missing Junk
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

I choose the characters I like based on how interesting and well written they are, not on their morality. They are fictional characters after all.

33. Jentario
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Theon’s Missing Junk:
    Jentario,

Just saying, he’s not a grey character at all, though he does get better.

34. Card of Doom
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I just want to throw in what I thought was obvious…

People hate *nameless* more because he betrayed the Starks.
    Aside from banging his sister, the only thing Jamie did that was terrible was throwing Bran from the tower but he didnt grow up with Bran…*nameless* did
    Its not like Ned Stark helped raise Jamie…

35. Theon's Missing Junk
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

Disagree completely. THEON did bad things for sure, but he doesn’t do them for the sake of being evil like Joffrey or “Boy”. His more evil decisions are due to him being put in impossibly difficult situations and trying to keep things together when they are crumbling around him. He made bad decisions but he’s not evil per se. The books and the show do a great job of explaining why he is driven to do what he does and while it doesn’t make me agree with his decisions it certainly humanizes him and makes him sympathetic.. its just unfortunate most fans are blinded by Stark fanboyism to realize it

36. House Minor
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Daniel: House Minor, You just spoiled a bit in your comment…

I can’t believe I did that. I even read it again before submitting my post, and I should have caught it. Glad they took my post down. Hopefully not many people saw it.

My non-spoiler thoughts: Jamie is my favourite character, and I like what they are doing with him. I’ve always felt bad for Theon, before his actions in season 2 and since. He’s lost. What’s happening to him is uncalled for, compared to what he did, since we the audience know he didn’t do some of the things other characters think he did. I don’t understand how so many people can hate him so much. That’s all I’m going to say, for fear of repeating my previous error.

37. Jentario
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Theon’s Missing Junk:
    Jentario,

38. Gregory Kelton
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

I think the difference between Jamie and _____, is that Jamie feels like he’s acting to redeem himself. ______ is just having bad stuff happen to him.

39. I Know of Fear
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Gregory Kelton:
    I think the difference between Jamie and _____, is that Jamie feels like he’s acting to redeem himself.______ is just having bad stuff happen to him.

40. GerB40
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Yago,

That’s pissing me right off. Us sullied have aplace to talk about our sullied ways, anyone who want to spoil it all for the unsullied should f*ck off to the the other conversation. Apologies to the tv watchin masses..

41. rikon
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

I Know of Fear: You may have just stumbled upon why people dislike that story arc in fan general. The only character with any agency is an unnamed boy with no stated goals and nothing art risk for himself. That isn’t how compelling drama works. Without sufficient introspection from his victim the story becomes even less “accessible” than Literature by Faulkner and Joyce. Everyone else is actively working toward something or contemplating prior losses.

Well, I like both Faulkner and Joyce, and guess what – I happen to like Theon and his story, and I definitely prefer him over Jaime (whom I do not hate either but I feel much less compassion towards him)

42. Person
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Jentario: Doesn’t matter. Theon can not in any way be preceived in a good way. Is he human? Yes, very much. Is he truly evil? Not at all. Is he a “bad guy” character that complicates things for the “good” characters? Yes. The fact that we understand him only proves good writing and good character development but it doesn’t change the fact that he is a bad guy. Until his torture begins, Theon becomes progressively more descriptive and impulsive, doing things that become morally unimaginable, to the point of killing children- innocent children who have never done anything to him. Theon is a bad guy character that only the likes of Joffrey and “Boy” can top because they are outright psychopaths. Theon is as evil as a well functioning human can get.

I agree with you, but only to an extent. Of course Theon is not a moral person, but I don’t think he is only topped by the blackest of black sadist/psychopath characters like “Boy”, The Mountain or Joffrey. Cersei, Janos Slynt, Littlefinger and many others who are clearly sane but more evil. The difference between those types of characters and Theon is that Theon’s evil actions (killing the miller’s boys) are a result of desperation, which I find very human. When someone’s back is against the wall they will resort to some terrible, terrible things. I think if people were truly honest with themselves they might realize that they wouldn’t act so different than how Theon did. This kind of scares people, so they tell themselves “no! I wouldn’t!” and hate Theon in an attempt to convince themselves that they are different; like I said, he hits a little too close to home for some people. Most people aren’t like Ned where they stick to their principles even when everything is crashing down on them.

43. trfhms
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Oz, I have the same opinion about Jamie!

I think I would be a complete Stark to Lannister convert if he just hadn’t shoved Bran out the window…

44. I Know of Fear
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I too like hon better as a character, but like most of the Unsullied I wish history line would pick up the pace. This show is a drama, but history lacks most of the elements if a drama. And unlike the authors I mention, we don’t get enough explosion of his inner world to make up for that.

Even if I like Jaime less as a character, we at least see him working toward a future and grappling with his past.
    rikon,

45. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Person,

I didn’t find him killing the miller’s boys logical at all. His life and the life of his family wasn’t on the line. He killed two innocent boys because he didn’t want to appear weak. I have zero sympathy for that decision.

46. Shan
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I’ve always thought the difference is that Jaime does horrible things for good reasons. His reasons are certainly not good *enough* to justify the bad things he does, but the impulse (mostly the impulse to protect people he loves, many of whom have no one else in the world who loves them) is at least something we can respect, even if we have no respect whatsoever for the things that he does.

____, by contrast, doesn’t really have reasons for doing what he does that are good, which makes him harder to empathize with.

47. Theon's Missing Junk
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Person = Me

I’d argue that his life could have been on the line, indirectly. There was a strong chance that his men would abandon him if they realized what truly happened. The situation happens a bit different in the books vs the show, but since this is an unsullied thread I’ll only reference the show: Dagmer is the one who suggests that Theon kill the millers boys. It wasn’t Theon’s idea to do the deed and he only allowed it to happen to prevent an outright mutiny. A tough decision, and the wrong decision both from a logical and moral standpoint, but let’s not act as if Theon was all like “Fuck it who cares lets just kill some millers boys I aint no pussy”. Theon’s actions and reasoning is a lot more complex than that, and thats why he is so interesting and compelling and why I can empathize with him.

48. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Imaginative and funny as always, Oz!

What is about to transpire with Gendry and the Red Woman? Blood? Sex? Magic?

We’ll also need some sugar: Give it away, give it away, give it away now, armor boy ;^)

It seems as if [Bran] and his brother have been traveling to the Wall for a while, and making very little progress.

It would help a great deal if we were privy to at least one private conversation between Jojen and Bran. While I understand and accept that the story’s overall pacing doesn’t yet permit explicit disclosure of whatever Bran’s supernatural talents are, there’s no good reason for Jojen not to provide some backstory. For example, we don’t know how Jojen knew this was the right time to join up with Bran or, how he managed to find his party in the woods. We don’t know why Jojen and Meera’s parents allowed them to go find Bran. We don’t know how or when Jojen figured out how to interpret his own visions. We don’t know how Jojen managed to recognize Jon Snow, though he does seem to be a participant in some of Bran’s dreams. Etc.

That said, the biggest beef I have with the Bran storyline this season is that we’ve only seen the wolves once (ok, budget) and that Rickon is currently just an extra.

Last season, Shaggydog and Rickon emerged from the shadows in the crypt at Winterfell when we learned the boys had both dreamed their father was there. Bran and Osha had brought a torch while Rickon managed to navigate there without one. In another episode, we saw an almost feral Rickon smashing walnuts with a rock and in a third, he did so with his bare hands. Clearly, there is more to the youngest member of Team Stark than meets the eye. Sullied, please don’t spoiler us.

Still, he’s just six years old and most of his world has been destroyed. In season 3, we’ve not seen Rickon acting out in any way in response. They could have shown Meera chasing after him in the background just when Bran told Osha his quest for the three-eyed raven was all he had left now that his legs were gone. Instead, Rickon was just lying there under the canopy Hodor had constructed.

49. Jim
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Theon’s Missing Junk:
    Jim,

Easy, it’s an upcoming wedding that they actually show in the books. Five weddings were mentioned, i really don’t recall whether LF/Lysa is an ‘on camera’ one or not. Took me a minute to remember the one you guys are moaning about and that one *IS* on camera.’ And spoiler tags are there for a reason.

50. Tenesmus
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Shmurb,

Petyr and Lysa

51. PIGLET
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

I don’t know why I’m getting a bad feeling about Talisa…I can’t prove it but its in my gut… Im half unsullied…Ive only read half of book three…no other books..

I wonder if they will show a shot of Theon without his bits? Its only fair for GOT. They showed Jaime’s hand last week , Ive always wondered what real unsullied look like, do you think that would go too far for the show?

looking forward to some Cersie action this week. It would be so interesting to see her interact with her fiance, Loras one on one and also we know she has a scene with Margaery!

and Ofcourse! 3 of my favourite characters in one scene! Joffrey -Tyrion showdown with Tywin as the referee with so many people watching! this will probably be a scene Ill watch again and again.

We’ve had enough of Jon Snow for 2 weeks .. I hope they focus more on Kings’ Landing this week! No way Arya has a CHANCE of hurting the Hound! I feel sorry for her , shes so little with so much anger and no way to take it out! I wanna give her a hug!

52. greg
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Here’s why I’m pissed:

I used to lurk on this site as a non-reader, mainly to avoid spoilers. I started commenting when Oz started making these awesome unsullied recaps, but he never replies to my posts. He hates me

53. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

greg,

Greg…… Not true my friend. I am always willing to chat. I must admit, I am heavily influenced by the adult beverages at the moment, due to a great set by Passion Pit which I was not expecting. How are you Greg?

54. Lisa Y.
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Any chance of more in-episode comments from Ozzette before this season ends?

And to answer your question–yes, I feel sorry for “the man who must not be named”. As of the last episode, this lengthy torture session he’s suffered through has superseded his crimes (IMO). Yes, I hated him before. But now, unless his torturer reveals deep, personal reasons for his actions, I don’t think my feelings will change back.

55. Wun Wun
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks everyone. A man really enjoys reading what people think will happen, even though a man already knows.

56. greg
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

I am also under the influence of mead my unsullied brother, which is probably why I resorted to that to see a response. Keep up the great recaps man. The past two seasons I would only come to this site during the show hiatus to see casting speculation and other show news, but now I have a reason to come during the season. The best non-reader posts on the internet, and there really aren’t any spoilers in the comments section besides some veiled ones or the classic “I told ya so…” kind, but the mods do a good job of deleting quickly. So yea totally killer

57. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Lisa Y.,

Absolutely. Ozzette is full of opinionated discussion, and ready to take part and will be thrilled that you asked.

For the record, I am particularly interested in how the story of the only living son of Balon’s turns out. I have no reason to believe that the torture has been for nothing, but I am ready for it to move forward.

Ozzette said this: ” I heard the horn. I saw the horn. I remember the horn from the taking of Winterfell. It doesn’t tell me who is blowing the horn and why. But I am still over it. “

58. outdoorcats
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I, too, would like to see more of Bran and his new friends, though preferably in a more interesting or even dangerous context. In particular, I’m interested in seeing more of Meera, who made a strong impression on me in this season’s second episode yet from whom we’ve seen little since except her fights with Osha. Ellie Kendrick is excellent. Anyway, 7 episodes in and nothing has really happened with this group. I hope in the last three episodes they can introduce something in their story for which I will want closure!

P.S. – Oz – I believe Ours is the Fury is a “she,” not a “he.” ;) She guested on Game of Owns this week.

59. Valyrian
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 1:06 am | Permalink

outdoorcats,

Just now I realized it’s true, this storyline hasn’t really gone anywhere hahahahaha
    And to answer your question Oz, I too prefer Jaime, but I probably don’t count since he’s my favorite character since God knows when. But I do feel sorry for _____ and I agree with whoever said above that his suffering has surpassed the weight of his crimes.

60. grumpycetacean
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 3:23 am | Permalink

I do feel bad for Phallus-Free. He’s young and dumb and made vicious, idiotic choices based pretty much on his fragile ego. Tough position he was put in, if you think about it. Raised by ‘the enemy’, who were actually really nice and loving to him, rejected by his blood family, forced to choose between the two. Still, he has far fewer redeeming characteristics than Jaime, can’t see that he ever did treat one woman with any respect. I do feel a lot more for Jaime, even though the whole war began because of the truth of Joff’s father. There was the bathtime with Brienne scene where it was revealed that being a kingslayer saved the people of King’s Landing, yet he was despised for it. Nothing really comparable for Phallus-Free except maybe where he admits he made the wrong choice to betray Robb.

IDK Oz, I want ALL the closure!! Clearly I’m in denial of only three more eps.

61. Jim
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 4:24 am | Permalink

I do feel for ‘he who must not be named.’ When he made his decision in S2 to follow his family instead of the Starks i saw his point, he’s not a Stark. He’s trying to be who he thinks he should be. Boneheaded, to be sure, but it seems to me that once the Train started rolling for T there was no stopping it. One thing led to another with things getting worse and worse, until he wound up in the Hell he’s in. Do i feel for him? Yup. I don’t hate the character so much at all. Asha/Yara is one of my favorite characters and she’s connected to T pretty closely.

Jaime, on the other hand, is one of the most brilliantly written characters i have ever read. I remember HATIBNG him through the first two books, then it starts telling it from his POV in ASOS and he flipped to being one of my favorites. That’s good writing. So my compassion for Jaime’s situation is that right when i start liking him he stops being able to fight.

62. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano:

Btw Ours is the Fury is a she ;)

If this is the case, a man stands corrected. Please accept my apologies ma’am.

63. WompWomp
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

She was on a recent Game of Owns, a non-reader podcast. You can hear her sonorous voice therein. Open your earballs! :D

I see what y’all are trying to do, but isn’t the constant referencing of the newly dubbed He-Who’ll-Ne’er-Be-Laid just as irksome as being direct about it?

64. I Know of Fear
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 10:00 am | Permalink

WompWomp,
    We really did try not to talk about him, but it is just too easy to compare him to other characters! And his scene was so cringe-worthy and joke-worthy! I’m just glad nothing was thrown into a fire, because I wouldn’t be able to stop talking about him then.

65. WompWomp
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I Know of Fear,

Haha, something tells me his torturer isnt acting on behalf of the Lord of Light, nor is he keen on hitting up some deity’s voicemail by burning his parts in a brazier. XD

Our fallen prince’s future may be off-limits, but he’s still part of the show. I think it’s weird to bar him from the discussion entirely.

And as drawn out as this week’s scene was, they are all amazingly acted, to the point they’ve disturbed so many viewers. I love Spartacus, but the performances don’t compare. GoT manages to wig me out with less gore and more craft. I found that to be an interesting distinction considering the Segovax territory we just tread through. #RIPhorsecock

66. I Know Of Fear
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Both his story line and discussion about have been a little but of a problem this season. Oz has done a great job keeping things enjoyable here in his little corner of the internet, which I think is why he started the rule and why he hasn’t set it in stone.

And spartacus doesn’t use suspense, which I think is an intentional decision to keep people from closing their eyes when the blood and guts come out.

67. Jentario
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Theon’s Missing Junk:
    Tyrion Pimpslap,

Person = Me

I’d argue that his life could have been on the line, indirectly. There was a strong chance that his men would abandon him if they realized what truly happened. The situation happens a bit different in the books vs the show, but since this is an unsullied thread I’ll only reference the show: Dagmer is the one whosuggests that Theon kill the millers boys. It wasn’t Theon’s idea to do the deed and he only allowed it to happen to prevent an outright mutiny. A tough decision, and the wrong decision both from a logical and moral standpoint, but let’s not act as if Theon was all like “Fuck it who cares lets just kill some millers boys I aint no pussy”. Theon’s actions and reasoning is a lot more complex than that, and thats why he is so interesting and compelling and why I can empathize with him.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions. Theon may have been a human character, and I do understand him but ultimately the only things that matter are the choices he made when things became hard. I think Theon was smart enough to know that it won’t be easy to take Winterfell with his background, but he did it anyway. Theon then executes a man only so he wouldn’t look weak in front of his men. When Dagmer proposes to burn the children, he accepts- and only to look stronger. What good would come from that? When Theon’s sister comes to warn him and to try and get him back to his father, Theon refuses. Theon makes a series of bad decisions (both strategically and morally) that are understandable, but at the same time undeniably evil.

If I was Theon I would just stick to raiding those fishing villages, and if I’d want a larger target I’d definitely not attempt to take Winterfell. Theon knew what he was doing.

68. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

The “unnamed” rule was initially invoked to deter what had been a heated debate over his captor, prevent spoilers, and for fun so if you were in fact going to bring him up, you had to think about it before you posted.

The point was to just lighten up the overall heated argument about whether or not his story line was worth the time invested this season. It still remains to be seen if it is.

It was also for cheap amusement, I guess.

At any rate, thanks for the compliment!

69. springwillcome
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Personally I feel sorry for both Jaime and the “unspeakable” – actually more for the latter one because whoever it is, who is torturing him, is doing a really good job to destroy him systematically- both body and mind (and probably soul as well). This is – at least for me – really painful to watch – as a matter of fact I do a lot of fastforwarding … – would prefer more of this offscreen ….
    Jaime’s story on the other hand was hard to watch as well but there was always some way for him to fight back (even if it ended in drinking you know what….). Now – for the last two episodes it was obvious that he ‘ s regaining more and more of his old confidence – he might have changed somewhat but he isn’t broken.
    So basically: I pity the unspeakable (but don’t really want to watch what happens to him) while it is Jaime’s ´(and Briennes’s) story I enjoy watching (amongst others …;-) ….

70. Friend Of fire
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

The guy that lost his dick I feel REALLY sorry for.

71. Little Bird
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Person,

Here is a quick book suggestion for you. That is if you haven’t already, which seems possible based on your comment.
    “The Lucifer Effect” written by Phillip Zimbardo.
    It is a very interesting, eye-opening and scary read! I think you might enjoy it based, again, on you interpretation of _____ and the choices he has made.

72. Marty
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I want to see Barristan actually fight instead of just hearing about how great he is/was.

I also wonder what Joffery is going to say/do to Tywin once he finds out Dany’s dragons burned down a city

73. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

it seems to me that the he-who-must-not-be-spoken-of’s story is in fact progressing. did you see him cowering when the torturer came back and how scared he was that it was all a trick? think of how smiley and arrogant he used to be. no, we don’t know who the tormentor is and it hasn’t had relevance to any other plot, but there has certainly been something happening. that is the look of a man being broken going insane. he already had some existential crisis going on before this, so i’m guessing it won’t end well for him. his whole life has been cowering and searching for approval from SOMEONE. ned starks approval as a son. his fathers approval as a son. robbs approval as a soldier and brother. his mens approval as a leader. the sexual approval of the women he uses. how do you think a person like that will fare after prolonged torture? a process that is generally used to get people to say what you want them to say (and thus be approved by you in a way)…except now he has no way to get the torturer’s approval except by submitting to his every ridiculous whim or playing his sadistic games. i have such a bad feeling about how this will end for him.

74. Gatorfisch
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Oz-
    This “sullied” thanks you for blogging while on kid free vacation. (A woman can only dream of such a thing!) Loved the “classified” section! I have the feeling the Hound is a biter, as well…but he’s just so darn adorable. Regarding the Jaime vs Theon discussion…Jaime is a man of honor, Theon is not. And that makes all the difference, at least to this woman.

75. jennyofoldstones
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I’d like to see some more character building re: Jojen and Meera. And the more of Osha the better. Hodor too, of course. I could really do without Ygritte, the most annoying, abrasive person in the series. And Tywin too. I cannot stand the character! Both actors are fantastic at bringing their parts to life but I can’t tolerate any more B.S. coming out of their characters’ mouths, seriously. Message to Tywin: Joffrey is King, NOT YOU. Put up or shut up. A king should never be spoken to that way. And Ygritte: Shut the hell up already. YOU played the ‘Us vs Them’ card on Jon, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND, so quit telling him ‘you’re with US’, FFS!

I have no admiration whatsoever for Jaime or He Who Shall Not Be Named. It seems that Ser Jaime might be starting to redeem himself a little bit but so far it’s not enough to justify pushing a little boy out a window and shtupping your sister thus putting that little bug that needs to be squashed on the throne!

As for HWSNBN, this is a snivelling coward with Daddy issues who caused the murder of two little boys and the burning down of a kingdom and one hell of a beautiful place. He deserves everything he gets.

76. Dany's 1-Eyed Dragon
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

First, many thanks to Ours is the Fury for obliterating spoiler posts this week on the Newbie recap – and class act by book readers wildling bastard and imlad for acknowledging the possibility of spoilage in their posting ways. No reason to use Boy’s Valerian steel member removal dagger on anyone this week. Would be nice if this page could clarify that although the generic blog description discussed spoiler tags THE NEWBIE BLOGS ARE SPOILER FREE. And thanks for blogging while vacationing Oz.

77. Dany's 1-Eyed Dragon
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

Great post regarding Ricon – I missed some of those possible “physical ability” cues you pointed out and also forgot that he had the same dream vision of their father as well. I hope he has been purposefully hidden in the background, so as to become surprising relevant later in the show.

78. Dany's 1-Eyed Dragon
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I’ll admit – I have not been a huge fan of the past two episodes. However, my expectations are probably unrealistically high as I not only bought HBO just for this show but cable. After a relative mentioned how great this show was, I watched the first, then second seasons on my iPhone, so basically that’s $45 per month for 1 hour a week of tv – when Oz said LF’s chaos is a ladder speech was worth the price of HBO for a month, well my decision point was a bit higher and still agreed!

The reason I did not like the last two episodes is not because of the lack of action scenes taking a back seat to the character building dialogue. It’s just that most of the character building dialog and screenplay have not been that good (or as good as I have become accustomed to in this show). It seems that the meaningful dialog moments are hastily edited by a minute or two in each storyline. Probably my favorite dialog in season 2 was the banter between Arya and Tywin. Tywin’s light-heartedness and openness with her was fantastic. His loud, spontaneous “HA, you remind me of my daughter” laugh when she said “most girls are idiots” caught me off-guard and thought the whole scene was a great combination of character development and back story. As great of an actor that he is (Charles Dance I think is his name), I believe that I would start to tire of seeing only “angry face” Tywin for three straight seasons.

Thus, I would have liked to see a bit longer interaction with perhaps some back story woven in during Dany’s coach scene (explain the origins of these cities past battles or something). Visually, that scene with the dragons was stunning, but needed more clever and insightful dialogue I felt. And Dany, you did not ask the city to bend, you asked them to break! I am on board with her free the slaves mantra, it makes sense from her background and her needs to conquer Westeros, but as Oz and others noted, it seems that she would have put at least a reasonable deal on the table “Here’s my gift to you, your life and freedom 50,000 slaves they can come conquer Westeros with me and live as free men there or live free among you. You will free 50,000 more each year until all slaves are free, I will return after taking Westeros and destroy your city if you have not obliged. If you don’t agree to these terms I will destroy your city now and free all 200,000 slaves now.” Annoying fan fiction on my part I know, but at least that really would be asking them to bend.

I liked the Margery and Sansa dialogue probably the most in the past two episodes because after the House Tyrell marriage plan was foiled, Margery was not angered or even distressed by it at all, just on to Plan B… make the best of it and guide our power-born sons. Didn’t like her character at first, but beginning to appreciate it much more as heiress apparent to Lady Ollena.

79. Dany's 1-Eyed Dragon
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Here’s something I haven’t heard discussed much… what is Mance’s signal going to be? I let the first two “I’m going to light the biggest fire the North has ever seen” rants go somewhat unquestioned in my mind. But the third one mockingly make by Jon in last episode coupled with the “you know nothing Jon Snow” retort from Ygritte got my thinking that maybe this thing is more than just a fancy torch signal. Since it was mentioned in the same conversation as the failed invasions of the wildlings in the northern lands, I am beginning to wonder what exactly Mance has in store. Has he “changed the game” like the Targerians did with dragons? Did he discover oil or gunpowder to make grenades or muzzle loader guns? This theme of advanced weaponry has occurred multiple times in the show, e.g., wildfire, Joffrey’s crossbow, and of course dragons.

Perhaps too late before the start of the next episode… buy any other unsullied only speculation? My guess is some sort of explosive, petroleum-like substance that they found in a mountain lake or cave. I remember Lord Commander Mormon talking to Krastner or someone at one point and had said something like “Mance Rayder is king of a couple of lakes north of the wall, what of it.”

80. EASY
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Ozzy… I will just say this and it is no spoiler but you ask a lot (and I know ask but not tell) of “Is there more to the story?” Well all I will say is this (again no spoiler). THERE IS ALWAYS MORE TO THE STORY. Sometimes you just have to wait. Hell even when a person dies there story really doesn’t end. We will be hearing about Ned till we’re dead I am sure. So this goes for any and every story there is always more just sometimes they (or he as in GRRM) makes us wait wait wait.