Episode 28 – Second Sons – Newbie Recap
By Winter Is Coming on in Recap.

Tyrion and Sansa

Oz of Thrones recaps “Second Sons” from the road. That’s dedication right there. Read on to get his thoughts on last night’s episode. And remember book readers, no spoilers!

Spoiler note: The discussion in this post is primarily for non-book readers (book fans can discuss the show here). We ask all the series veterans to refrain from posting spoilers in the comments here, veiled or otherwise. This show is best viewed without knowing all the surprises beforehand, so please be respectful of your fellow fans. Thank you!

Oz of Thrones:  Greetings from the Unsullied Oz of House Oz, where a man and his lady are traveling home after consuming entirely too much ale and will likely be suffering from a week-long hangover.  No whining is allowed however, as my suffering was self imposed (water would have been a viable and more healthy alternative, but how much fun would that be?)  Either way, we are headed back to the real world after hearing some incredible bands and seeing a few epic hall-of-famers.

Getting to view GoT was quite a feat in itself.  You would think that with the modern technology of today, catching the episode would not be a problem.  But internet connection in our locale was shoddy at best, and the 3G network was completely overloaded by 30,000 people trying to text pictures of Stevie Wonder to their friends.  Dammit man!   I did a test run to watch on HBO Go by sitting at the corner of the porch while hanging upside down with one arm in the air like a human antenna.  But to no avail.  So Ozzette and I abandoned Stevie in the middle of his set to catch the late viewing on HBO itself (the owner had taken the cable company up on a free three month offer).  Luck!  The things I will do for this show……

So let’s get down to business.  Keep in mind that when a man is in the comforts of his own home, he has the pleasure of DVR and the ability to pause to take in a particular scenes and to contemplate what may be the names of new characters.  I have no such pleasure as I write this.  Please allow a man to make revisions to mistakes when I return (or feel free to do so in the comments, without spoilers as always).

I am not sure if it is the copious amounts of beer I have consumed, or the different location in which I am viewing, but this episode was nothing like any other episode of GoT I have taken in before.  Lets dig in, and I will elaborate a little at the conclusion.

Arya:  I really like the way this episode started.  Arya is about to smash the head of a Hound (no worries PETA… it is not the type of Hound you vow to protect).  Instead, she changes her mind after some inspiring words from the Hound.  It ends up he has no intention of hurting her or taking her to King’s Landing.  Instead, he plans on taking her to Rob in exchange for some coin.  The Hound has a heart?  Or he just needs the money?  Either way, let’s get Arya to some people who love her.  She deserves a break.

Dany:  The mother of dragons and her boys Selmy and Jorah are seen in cool jedi outfits as they study the protection around Yunkai.  This leads to a meeting with three guys who lead a group referred to as “The Second Sons.”  They were Prehndal (sp?), Daario (sp?), and a pervert whose name I didn’t catch.  I particularly liked when Grey Worm was about to jack up the perv until Dany tells him not to overreact.

Later on, the three have a private meeting to discuss what to do with dragon mother and decide that she will be killed.  Daario draws the wrong straw ( or gets the wrong coin) and is chosen to do the deed.  Dany is seen taking a bath when Missandei gets held up at knife point with a masked assailant who ends up being Daario.  He has chopped the heads off of Prendahl and the Perv to show he and the Second Sons’ loyalty to her and in return gets some full frontal nudity.  Not a bad deal.  Dany seems to have made a hell of an impression on Daario.  You think Jorah is going to be ok with that?

Gendry:  The Baratheon bastard arrives at Dragonstone for a hot date with the Red Woman.  The situation looks as if it just might be some good ol’ fashioned hot sex (graphic nonetheless) when the Red gets into some whips and chains and ties the boy up.  Then, Gendry is left lying there with no apparent gratification, only to be covered with some Westeros leaches that suck his blood and are then burned by Stannis.  Davos is freed by Stannis as long as he agrees to be nice to Red, and oversees the burning of the leaches (and a naked Melisandre, again).  Ozzette and I were quite surprised that nothing worse happened to Gendry.  I am not discounting the pain of having a leach on a penis, but Stannis gave the impression that Gendry would be sacrificed. A man is thankful he was spared, at least for now.

Tyrion and Sansa:  How about a shotgun wedding?  I was not expecting one of the five scheduled weddings to come so quickly, but I guess it makes sense since there are so few episodes left this season.  Joffrey reaffirms himself as a childish prick, while Margaery tries to “sister-up” with Cersei.  And the Queen Regent is having none of it, with Margaery or Loras.  The Loras and Cersei relationship is off to a great start. Lena Headey is an awesome actress by the way.  I can’t stand Cersei, which means she plays her perfectly.

The wedding proceeds and Tyrion proceeds to get aboslutely trashed at the most awkward wedding reception ever.  The scene where he pisses off Joffrey was a classic until Paw Paw steps in to settle both of them down.

I found the interaction between all of the players enjoyable to watch considering how awkward it was.  But watching Tyrion be hammered made me uncomfortable at times.  I kept thinking he was going to piss off Paw Paw or Joffrey and have his head cut off.  And I guess he almost did.  Nevertheless, he is classy as ever as he chooses not to bed Sansa much to her delight and that of Shae.  The scene where Shae checks the sheets and them takes them to be washed was great as well.

Sam and Gilly:  The lonely couple with the baby in tow find a place to settle in for the night, and Gilly has to show Sam the ins and outs of firestarting, again.  The crows begin congregating on the trees outside making one hell of a racket.  Sam goes out to investigate and sees….. Oh hell…… time to be a man, Sam.  And he does, but swords are not much use against the White Walker.  But dragon glass is and Sam stabs him in the back with it, making him disintegrate.  Awesome!!

I guess that now we know why the dragonglass was hidden, and now Sam is an integral part of the story of the war with the White Walkers as he knows what will kill them.  But in his haste to get out of there, did he leave the dragonglass on the ground?  Dammit Sam, go get it!  You will probably need it again!

Episode 308 Personal Awards

Favorite Humorous Scene:  The Queen of Thornes attempting to delineate the family trees at the reception was hilarious.

Favorite Serious Scene:  Tyrion and Joffrey…… this is not over yet.

Best Example of Joffrey Being a sadistic little shit:  His threat to Sansa that he would come bed her and have the King’s guard hold her down for him.

Ow, That Shit Hurts Award:  A leach on a penis?  Ouch.

People That Would Not Be Invited to my Wedding:  All Lannisters.  Tyrion might be an exception, but he would run up the open bar tab quick.

Overall Thoughts:  I enjoyed the episode for the most part, but the pacing has got me confused to the point of discomfort.  We have gone from jumping from story to story every 3-5 minutes at the beginning of the season, to a slightly slower pacing in episodes 6 and 7, to just a few scene changes in episode 8.   This will likely lead to many viewers to say that this episode was slow.  And I would somewhat agree.  On the upside, we were treated to a lot of new awesome sets which I always enjoy.  The show never disappoints in that respect.

Does anyone else find it unlikely that Dany would be lucky enough to have a guy think she is hot enough to chop off the heads of his masters and inherit 2,000 more men?  Just a thought.

So, it’s GoT late spring break/ memorial day off week.  That means that Looking Forward Ep. 29 will be posted a week from Friday instead of this Friday.  I would like to submit something toward the end of this week if the great readers at WiC are in the mood.  Any suggestions?  Is there something that the Unsullied would like to discuss during our off time?  Would you guys and gals be interested in an Off Topic Hangout Music Fest Review if WinterPhil approves?  Let me know…. shoot me some comments.  But NO SPOILERS!!  If it is from the books, DON’T MENTION IT HERE!

Until we meet again, enjoy the torture of knowing it will be two weeks until we get a new epsiode (ugh), and may there be peace in your realm.  -Oz

1. Jayne
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

No Hodor.

2. Ivey West
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Did you happen to check out Delta Rae at Hangout Fest? I think they opened the day Saturday AM.

3. Werd
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

OK, I’m glad we were all yelling at the TV for Sam to pick up the dagger. The Atlantic’s people were all pissed about that as well – http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/05/-i-game-of-thrones-i-finally-takes-some-mercy-on-its-viewers/275999/

4. Jayne
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

..but it was a great show! Loved all scenes, and so happy to see Davos instead of Theon. Really looking forward to the next episode.

5. gisizzlah
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Ha Ha ‘the perv’… his name was Mero… but “the perv” suits him better…. you rock Oz!!

6. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Hodor? You can never tell if by the time you’ve finished reading a Hodor is necessary, so there it is just in case. Drunk Cersei is the best Cersei, as always. My friends and I were laughing aloud at the “no one cares” Loras scene. And I don’t generally laugh aloud at TV.

One of the best episodes this season.

7. Silverstormm
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Oz,
    How about a post with some long term unsullied speculation, heading into last 2 episodes and beyond into s4 territory as well perhaps? That’s always interesting to read!

8. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Oh, and I know some men who have done some spectacularly stupid things over the prospect of really hot sex (and Emilia Clarke is beautiful), so Daario’s actions don’t strike me as particularly unrealistic.

9. Magnar of Thenn
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

10. Shmurb
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Awesome write up Oz! Just to clarify the Gendry stuff, it was a brief throwaway line from Melisandre as Davos and Stannis were standing there, and I almost missed it too, but it seems like he WAS going to be totally sacrificed. Davos demanded proof that there was a reason for it though, so Melisandre just took some blood with the leeches as an “example” for Davos instead of killing Gendry outright. So basically, Davos saved his life. If you look at the Episode summary released by HBO before the episode too, there is a line that says “Davos demands proof”. It was pretty easy to miss that though.

11. Dave
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Favourite Humourous Scene: Sam and the white walker. The special effects when the sword exploded into a bunch of pieces were awful and hilarious. That whole scene gave me a chuckle. Terrible special effects.

Overall it was a great episode though.

12. ACatLover
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Silverstormm:
    Hi Oz,

Seconded.

13. valyrian
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe no one said Hodor. I think you guys (unsullieds) could discuss where you think the storylines are headed/how they will end by the end of the season, since theres only 2 episodes left.

14. valyrian
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe no one said Hodor. I think you guys (unsullieds) could discuss where you think the storylines are headed/how they will end by the end of the season, since there’s only 2 episodes left.

15. Lou Reed
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

I found it kinda realistic that Sam left the dagger. Going back for it would have been more out of character for him, with crows and splintered wraith everywhere.

16. Shock Me
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Magnar of Thenn,

I think he was referring to the additional 2,000 men of the Second Sons heavy cavalry.

The 8,000 they were referring to were the Unsullied when Ser Selmy claimed they had 10,000 Unsullied. Now they do have 10,000 fighters! Assuming Daario can be trusted.

17. dana
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Shmurb,

So are you saying, they still intend on fully sacrificing him?? I hope not :(

18. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Does anyone else find it unlikely that Dany would be lucky enough to have a guy think she is hot enough to chop off the heads of his masters and inherit 2,000 more men? Just a thought.

For all we know Daario’s been planning to eliminate the other two and take sole charge of the Second Sons for some time. Maybe he was just waiting for the right opportunity to present itself?

As Jorah pointedly remarked, they’re only a medium-sized force and have had to turn tail in the past. There’s reduced risk and increased reward in forging an alliance with the most powerful military leader to emerge in Essos for quite some time, even if that means double-crossing his current employers in Yunkai and throwing away a hard-earned reputation as trustworthy mercenaries. His actions also ought to provoke some dissent among his own ranks that he will have to quell.

He’s clearly impressed with Dany’s resourcefulness, her ruthlessness and how rapid her rise to power has been. I expect word of her exploits in Qarth and Astapor has reached every corner of Essos by now. The fact that our Khaleesi is stunningly beautiful and in the market for a new man in her life is basically gravy on top. Plus, he’s cocky enough to delude himself she may one day end up doing his bidding.

19. gosensgo
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

What about throwing the leaches into the fire and naming Robb Stark, Greyjoy, and Joffrey…. whats going to happen now, is a black spirit thing going to go and kill all three of them??
    Stannis DO NOT KILL ROBB or I will stop liking you.

What an awesome episode. Loved it. and WHY SAM WHY DID YOU LEAVE IT BEHIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Wolfman27
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Magnar of Thenn:

21. dedkrikit
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Love these recaps. And jealous that I missed out on that concert.

RE: Sam and the crows – did you notice they all congregated in the one white godstree?

22. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Lou Reed:

Wraiths? Isn’t that from LOTR? This TV show is confusing enough, let’s not complicate things by introducing synonyms please.

I think it would have been in character to see Gilly hold the baby with one arm try and pick up this obviously useful object with the other as our unlikely anti-hero was already running away. The birds taking off could then have (inadvertently) frightened her enough to abandon the effort, leaving the storyline intact. It’s not as if a single measly spear point is going to bring summer back, they’re going to need a lot more dragonglass for that.

23. Just a Random
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

As a fellow Unsullied it would be helpful to have a recap of what’s happened across all the episodes that lead us to this point and where you think it might go to close out the season.

I’ve been listening to the old Game of Owns podcasts and didn’t realize how much foreshadowing I missed.

Each week we get so much that it’s tough to remember everything that’s happened.

24. Roger König
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Wolfman27: I think he said 2000 actually. Then Selmy said that Dany had 10,000 Unsullied and Daario called his bluff and said there were only 8000 Unsullied.

You got it right! :)

25. Selmy
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Can some unsullied please predict whats gonna happen in the next 2 episodes??
    Please…

26. telobsidion
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

dana,

What they now intend to do remains to be seen. Melisandre didn’t kill Gendry because Stannis wouldn’t let her after talking to Davos, asking for “proof” that it would even work.

27. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I’ll have to pay close attention when I get a chance to re-watch the episode, but my take was that Selmy was adding the trainees to the 8000 professional Unsullied. Classic bluster move. It was Daario who called his bluff, proving that his outfit has recon skillz. It’s just a coincidence that Dany apparently has about has many trainees as the Second Sons have riders, i.e. around 2000.

28. Eor!
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Selmy:
    Can some unsullied please predict whats gonna happen in the next 2 episodes??
    Please…

I predict Robb will turn into a wolf and Sansa will ride him out of King’s Landing

29. gosensgo
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Selmy,

I can predict some deaths. I can name who I think will die. Should I?

30. Ghost
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Gendry better make Davos an awesome sword for saving his ass from Mel.

31. Dave
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Eor!: I predict Robb will turn into a wolf

32. Selmy
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

If you’re unsullied and they’re just guesses then thats fine!

33. gosensgo
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Selmy,

I am definitely an unsullied.
    Okay, unfortunately, I think that the names Stannis named when he threw the leaches in the fire are going to die… I will throw a party if Joffrey dies, I will cry when Robb dies, and I couldn’t careless about Balon Greyjoy.
    Dany has the second sons behind her, she is going to take Yunkai, and move on to the next one. I sense a romantic relationship with the new pretty boy. Jorah will not be happy. I don’t know where she will be going next.
    I think its too good to be true that Arya will reunite with her Mother and brother. She is going to arrive there, and there be disappointed once more. However I could be very wrong…
    As for the stories in the north, well God knows what will happen.
    that the beauty of this show (to an unsullied) its sooooooo hard for me to try and speculate whats going to happen.
    I wil say – I am looking forward to revealing Theon’s torturer, and also to see Jamie’s arrival at KL.
    Anybody else care to speculate

34. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Newbies are always free to speculate as they like in this post. But book-readers should not comment on those speculations because spoilage is likely, even in small reactions.

35. Selmy
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Yeah sure no worries.

36. Selmy
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

Interesting! (Obviously I can’t confirm or deny anything)

37. gosensgo
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Selmy,

oh, you’re a sullied??

38. gosensgo
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Selmy,

JEALOUS! I cant wait two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

39. Selmy
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

I’m Sullied yeah. I just find it fascinating to hear from Unsullied on what they think is gonna happen!

40. gosensgo
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Selmy,

I bet!!!!

41. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Once again, as a service to the unsullied, this Sullied will illuminate two important points:

1. Ned Stark is dead.
    2. Hot Pie is baking bread.

That is all.

42. Hoff Wholehands
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I (fourth?) the notion that a post about where the Unsullied think the final episodes (and rest of the show) are going to go would be a great read for us Sullied.

43. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Ivey West:

Yes I did. I did not know anything about them so I had very low expectation. But I walked away quite impressed. I wasn’t fond of everything they did, but there was a heck of a lot more positive than negative.

If I do a Hangout review, I will include some good pics Ozzette and I got. Thanks for asking!

44. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Silverstormm:
    Hi Oz,

Sounds good to me! Since I won’t have a newbie recap on Monday, I will do this instead with maybe a small recap of the season thus far. Sound good?

45. Roger König
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones: Sounds good to me!Since I won’t have a newbie recap on Monday, I will do this instead with maybe a small recap of the season thus far. Sound good?

Sounds great to me. I am also a sullied(?), but i love your recaps because i am always interested in what the unsullied might think about the episodes and stories. This time last year i was an unsullied :)

46. NOTABOOKREADER
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

This episode was great! All of the Dany scenes were great (we finally got to see that nice booty again YES!) I prefer this format for the show…less people, more screen time….the 3 to 5 minute per episode is too brief to make me care about any of it. Poor Gendry..at least let him close the deal before you leech him Mel! LOL…. I want to stay away from trying to predict whats going to happen next week…we all know the 9th episode is really like the season finale in Thrones world…so I expect something crazy! I just hope Arya lives!

47. Liz B.
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Magnar of Thenn,

8000 is the number of her unsullied. She said 10,000 and he brought her down a peg by letting on he knows there are “only” 8000.

48. Davy
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I would love to see a thread on Unsullied expectations of the main characters in the not so near future. Where would you like the characters to be in season 4 or 5? Which of the characters mentioned in the show would you still like to see casted? What do you hope that the show will do differently in season 4?

I think that would be interesting questions to answer on friday and then next year there could be a “repost” to see if these expectations came to be. Would be a fun read for me.

49. springwillcome
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Brienne and Jaime are going to be Westeros’ wedding crashers No. 1 when they arrive at the double wedding of Joffrey/Margaery and Cersey/Loras …. .

50. We do not Hodor
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I adore the Unsullied, so my advice is stay off the internet until the season is over.

51. valyrian
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Davy:

Yeah, “what name-dropped character they’d like to see would be a good one.

52. Yellow Dog
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Selmy,

Add me to the list of everyone wanting to read predictions from the Unsullied. We won’t laugh, I swear.

It’s bittersweet for us to read Unsullied predictions and remember when we, too, could speculate without the burden of future knowledge ….

53. David Thomas
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

The new Backlot review is up, and the writer outdoes himself this time:

Perhaps my favorite sentence, though there are a lot of contenders: “Outside, the birds get louder and louder. Spam goes to investigate, and outside he finds about a hundred crows in the tree with the face on it screaming at him like he was Tippi Hedren wearing a birdseed pantsuit.”

54. Unbesmirched
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Okay. It looks like Arya might finally hook up with some members of her family, but knowing how this show works, I’m sure the Hound will find some major trouble on the way, such as his enraged brother.

Finally we get another wedding – it’s the show’s third, right? After Daenerys/Drogo and Robb/Talisa. And there’s so many more weddings to come! This one has to rank among the highest at the awkward scale. Poor Sansa barely able to hide her disgust from both Joffrey as he told her he would walk her through the church, and then later when Tyrion was drinking up a storm. But Loras and Cersei might have the dwarf and the maiden beat when it comes to terrible matchups! I really loved Shae’s surprised smile at seeing the clean bed sheets. Maybe there is hope for her and Tyrion still.

Daenerys met up with a slick guy who proceeded to murder his companions and dump their heads at her bath. I don’t trust this guy. He smiles way too much. At least the Titan’s Bastard got what was coming to him.

In Dragonstone, Davos is freed and Gendry is leeched. As usual, I loved the scenes with Melisandre. She has such a great way of talking, like what she says is the most natural thing in the world while she drops a pulsating blood sucking creature onto your genitals. I almost hope Gendry stays naked and bound for a few episodes. He looks so good doing it.

And then we got a dark scene with Sam and Gilly. What the hell is up with the ravens? And that creepy red tree just outside that old hut. The White Walker was super strong, sending fat Sam flying through the air after an off-hand punch and shattering metal with a touch. Scary! I’m glad Sam had that black spearhead. The creature turning into ice was awesome. But why did he leave the incredibly useful supernatural creature slaying spearhead in the snow??

55. coronaking
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

The idea of a big recap and Unsullied expectations for the next episodes and season 4 is great! :) Can’t wait!

Dave:
    Favourite Humourous Scene: Sam and the white walker. The special effects when the sword exploded into a bunch of pieces were awful and hilarious. That whole scene gave me a chuckle.Terrible special effects.

I agree on the sword shattering effect but the crumbling was amazing!

56. Silverstormm
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Yes, sounds great, looking forward to it now!
    Also, which characters, if any, you would be most interested in meeting next season (ala Mance Rayder from last year) would be a welcome addition.

57. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Selmy: Can some unsullied please predict whats gonna happen in the next 2 episodes??
    Please…

IIRC, we saw a glimpse of Arya Greyjoy inspecting her troops in one of the previews. That hasn’t happened yet.

Beyond that, let’s recap and apply some common sense:

We know that Roose Bolton and the late Rickard Karstark had similar misgivings about Cat’s decision to free Jaime, about Talisa, about the rights of prisoners, even about the bold decision to let that Lannister spy return to Tywin with an incorrect troop estimate back in season 1. Both of their Houses have had to bend the knee to the Starks for thousands of years, something each must surely have chafed at numerous times in living memory. Rob entrusted the relief of Winterfell to Roose’s bastard son.

We’ve also been told that what’s left of House Karstark packed up and went home. However, considering they represented fully half of Rob’s army, they’re really cutting off their nose to spite their face. They may no longer be willing to fight for Rob, but if the North loses this war of secession, those who left the field early aren’t going to be treated with kid gloves. As Stannis clarified once again in the leech scene, the realm encompasses all of Westeros south of the wall. Secession is an act of high treason, punishable by death and/or extended tribute (e.g. Balon having to render Theon to Ned after the Greyjoy rebellion). Therefore, even though Rickard and his sons are dead, House Karstark still has an enlightened self-interest in not losing. This begs the question if they really out of the picture or just out of Rob’s sight and mind.

On a related note, Walder Frey’s decision to let Rob off the hook and backfill for the Karstarks for nothing more than the title to Harrenhal (a ruins far from the Twins and historically, difficult to hang on to) plus Brynden Tully’s hand in marriage struck me as a rather unexpected bit of realpolitik. We know Walder’s long held grudges against both the Starks and the Tullys for spurning his stubborn efforts to arrange marriages, but he pointedly failed to demand Cat’s hand for one of his sons. Remember that officially, the girls are both in KL and the younger boys both died at Theon’s hand and that Walder isn’t interested in another long engagement. Recently widowed Cat is the only “available” member of the Stark clan right now.

Powerful lords don’t much care about age differences when it comes to cementing dynastic unions; Cat is not a young woman, but Rickon is just six. Theoretically at least, she might still be fertile. That wouldn’t be the primary consideration, though: simply getting a Frey hitched to any Stark would be a major feather in Walder’s cap. He had Rob over a barrel, so I was surprised he missed the opportunity to press his advantage.

58. barak
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Dave:

Overall it was a great episode though.

A bigger problem for me was that the white walker was TOO realistic. There wasn’t anything eerie or mysterious about him, it was just a guy walking up to Sam. They could’ve spared some of the shattering sword budget on sprinkling the white walker with some CGI magic.

59. Kevin
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I second what Selmy said. As a member of the Sullied, knowing what will happen to the major characters; the most interesting part of these post-episode discussions is seeing what the Unsullied reactions are, and where they think the story is headed.

60. Unbesmirched
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

I think Cat is too old for another marriage. Besides, she isn’t technically a Stark, she’s a Tully, and they are already getting the incumbent lord of Riverrun in marriage. Although maybe the Blackfish might make a tempting marriage target?

61. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I would love to see a death list from the Unsullieds. Do you think anybody else will die this season? If so, who? How about which character will live and die next season?
    Also, who do you think will ultimately win the iron throne? Which house do you think is winning so far?
    So long as we sullieds can resist putting our 2 cents in, this would be a fun post to read.

62. Davy
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Unbesmirched:

Have you seen blackfish’s actor? He is like 50, can he still get kids I wonder?

63. gosensgo
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Prior to this season starting, during an interview at the premiere, George R. R. Martin was asked who he thinks is the most misunderstood character of in the show. He said he thinks Melisandre is the most misunderstood.
    I don’t see it. She is EVIL.

64. outdoorcats
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Stevie Wonder live or Game of Thrones…what a Sophie’s Choice, Oz! At least now no one could ever question your dedication to GoT fandom. If they wanted to do so.

I would certainly cast my vote for an off-topic hangout music fest post, if the admins allow that.

Oh, and…GO BACK AND PICK UP THE DAGGER, SAM!

65. outdoorcats
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

The ravens were CREEPY. They were all just sitting in the screaming-face tree, staring down at Sam while squawking. Gotta love those WTF moments on Game of Thrones.

66. Adria
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Davy,

You do realize that men can father children way past their 50’s, right? Walder Frey’s brood should have been proof enough, but Oona Chaplin (Talisa) is the granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin who was having kids into his 70’s.

67. Book Nazi
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber:

1. Ned Stark is dead.
    2. Hot Pie is baking bread.

That is all.

You are right about number 1, but number 2 is pure speculation. How do you know he is baking bread? I think Hot Pie is actually bedding the woman inn keeper “Podrick” style and retired from baking. Or Hot Pie is secretly running the the Brotherhood Without Banners from the Crossroad Inn and will someday rule the 7 Kingdoms of Westeros!!!!!

King Hot Pie!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hand of the King will be Hodor!

Sorry for the spoilers, maybe WiC will spoiler tag my post for me :)

68. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I think we will have to wait and see with Melisandre. People are all multi-faceted. Perhaps once we learn more about her we will think about her differently. At the moment she seems like a religious zealot, but what if she is right? If you truly believed that if you failed, the entire population of earth would be wiped out, and I mean TRULY believed that, would you hesitate for one second to sacrifice someone? Because I wouldn’t, though I’m not religious at all. Still, if it was a choice between a stranger and every man, woman and child (including that stranger), I’d choose the stranger.

69. Kay of Laihr
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Davy

seriously? you shouldn’t have skipped biology class.

70. EASY
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Ghost,

GOOD ONE!

71. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Shock Me Sane,

Interesting thoughts on the Red Woman. Your point reminded me of Travolta in Swordfish when he is on the bus and says something to the effect of,”would you kill one to save one hundred?” Always a compelling discussion.

72. Unbesmirched
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

This guy had a baby at 96, so yeah, I think Blackfish can still become a father.

73. Perkins
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

another nice recap Oz. nothing has beaten that bridezilla references yet for me. Like some of the other suggestions id like to hear some predictions.

who sits the iron throne at the end of s3/ s4? who will be hand of the king at the end of s3/s4?
    next person to die? named character or an extra?
    If kings “seed” can create shadow babys what can kings blood do?
    2 episodes left, set us an over/under on “Hodors”
    none of us know this one… who do you think will sit the iron throne when the entire series is done?

74. springwillcome
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Edmure is the Tully heir – so the Blackfish wasn’t that much of a catch to begin with – he should be pretty safe from having to marry one of those grey-riding- hood- girls…. .
    On a side note – am I the only one who thought it somewhat unfair how his family treated poor Edmure?
    Robb married Talisa instead of a Frey girl and Catelyn set Jaime free but they were all like: it was you (Edmure) who made a mess out of this so you are the one who needs to put it right.

75. Azurecobalt
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I think Daario also may have switched allegiances because he knows he would have lost if he went up against the Unsullied.

76. Pau
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

A post with predictions is always nice but I’m afraid it will get spoiled/trolled…is to big a hook. I would not do it. Or at least I would block the comments on it. And if I was an unsekkied I would definitelly not read the comment sections of it if not blocked. Another option is to make it but don’t show it until the finale but not totally sold on the idea..

77. I Know of Fear
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Nobody has slapped Joffrey this season, so I was glad to see Tyrion basically pull a knife on the cretin. I am slightly less happy that it happened just before the 9th episode of the season, which is usually when the status quo goes out the window. I surely hope Tyrion’s fate hasn’t been sealed. If Sansa tells him about Joffrey’s threat, I am sure he will do everything he can to protect her and get Bronn killed in the process.

Last season Tyrion told Varys he wished there was a god of tits and wine instead of all the grim ones of burning and drowning; I’m glad he realized he is the only candidate to fill that role. He’d be far superior to the god of the Red Woman, at least he wouldn’t get Gendry’s “hopes” up only to drop some leeches.

I can understand why the 3 leeches would cause someone to name Robb and Joffrey, but Balon threw me off. I’m starting to think those guys are gonna be the biggest obstacles to Stannis taking the Iron Throne, so perhaps Balon will play a bigger role once he finds out what is going on with Theon (and his last chance at continuing the traditional lines of inheritance). I know the Iron Islands rebelled in the past, maybe they will again and pose a threat to the pirate navy Stannis has contracted.

And we all know Arya isn’t going to meet up with her family at the Twins, so what will get in the way of her and the Hound? If I recall she didn’t get far from Harrenhall before the Brothers Without Banners intercepted her, so perhaps she isn’t far from the odd couple.

78. The Queen's Hand
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Magnar of Thenn: I believe Dany inherited 8000 new soldiers. At least I believe that’s what the Titan’s Bastard claimed his company numbers were.

No, he claimed that Dany already had 8000 men, the Second Sons were 2000

79. CGP
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

David Thomas: birdseed pantsuit

Well there’s my new band name/tumblr title

80. argilac's antler
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Jo,

Probably to avoid confusion with the Stone Crows (mountain clan of the Vale introduced in Season 1).

81. Turncloak
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Question for the Unsullied: Which new areas that have been mentioned on the show would you like to see in the future? Example (Casterly Rock, Braavos, Volantis, Dorne, Castamere, etc). Not saying that we will(or won’t) see any of these locations on the show, just curious about what you want to see :)

82. Richard
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

barak: I agree with coronaking that the crumbling was good. The sword shattering was technically good, too, the problem it is that it looked ridiculously unrealistic. The scene would’ve had a much bigger impact if they didn’t go overboard with the shattering.

I only saw the episode once, but didn’t the Walker freeze the sword with his hand? That’s why it shattered so spectacularly. I thought it was pretty cool myself.

83. Richard
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

84. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

I Know of Fear: Nobody has slapped Joffrey this season […]

Well, there’s been dramatic progression. Tywin did verbally bitch-slap the little punk when he hovered over him in that throne room scene. At the moment, no-one else can get away with laying a hand on Joffrey. I do hope Margaery will take him to Fleabottom again one day – and leave him there all alone in his palanquin.

FWIW, we’ll always have Winterfell.

85. Turncloak
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Richard,

Yes that would be a spoiler. No spoilers for you

86. Richard
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:
    Richard,

Yes that would be a spoiler. No spoilers for you

87. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Pau:

It’s also possible that sullied would pose as Un and give some damn good predictions. Book readers would never do that…. Right?

Maybe Winter and I can figure something out.

88. janarchy
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

No, not when she’s a Queen in possession of 3 dragons and an army of 8000 Unsullied. Even if she looked like The Hound in a dress, a smart mercenary like Daario would take the risk of backing her over other people given her reputation. It doesn’t hurt that she’s also beautiful, but it’s clearly more than just her looks he’s interested in.

89. Shock Me Sane
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Swordfish! Totally underrated movie and a great callback. I think that was a big theme this episode though: How far do you go for what you believe in? You could argue that virtually every character shown was asked that question, especially after “The Climb” and its climatic speech.

While I do believe Melisandre is probably not what anyone would describe as a “good” person, I think she believes her actions are for the greater good. And I have a wild conspiracy theory (that is not a spoiler, I have no clue) that she will end up sacrificing herself in the end to help save the realm/world.

90. Silverstormm
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones: I share the same fear. If we, the unsullied make a prediction and it just happens to be right, then there is always a chance of the sullied responding affirmatively.

Maybe Winter and I can figure something out.

To be quite honest as WiC’s ‘official’ unsullied recapper it’s your thoughts I’m most interested in so I wouldn’t even mind it if commenting was turned off for this post if it comes down to a choice of all or nothing re the comment section. I’d rather that than have no post at all?

91. Eor!
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones

This actually already happens, and it pisses me off so much.

92. Silverstormm
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Eor!,

Yes I’m sure it happens on another sites unspoiled forum too. There’s a couple of posters on there that seem to hit the nail on the head in virtually all of their ‘speculation’ and only get the odd thing (purposely) wrong to make themselves appear genuine. Sad.

93. Oz of Thrones
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Silverstormm,

I will definitely converse with Winter about it and see if there is a safer way we can make it happen. I would love to see more Unsullied visit without the fear of Spoilery, but I also realize it is damn near impossible. Winter and the moderators do a great job.

94. Joh
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I didn’t think it was possible for me to love the straight-talking Onion Knight any more. The television series had made him an even better character, I think.

I love Liam Cunningham!

He’s a brilliant actor, and his accent…damn, I would listen to that guy read the phone book.

This is corny and sentimental, but “Davos learning to read” is currently my favorite storyline. No joke.

Shireen seems smart and kind, and definitely more adaptable than her father. It is really unknown how much she is affected by her disease, but I hope it is not fatal or too disabling. I get the feeling that she will be a credit to her house. With Davos as her advisor, she could make House Baratheon great again.

Don’t get me wrong, Stannis is awesome (the “Thousands” line from Blackwater and his rushing into the frontlines of battle comes to mind) but he really seems to be in over his head with this Red Priestess thing. The look on his face when Gendry was getting leeched was like “what have I gotten myself into?!?”

Also, I foresee the line of sucession and the rights of females vs. males becoming a major theme in later seasons.

Shireen is Stannis’ only heir (well, if we don’t count creepy shadow baby). Tywin seems convinced that Sansa Stark could be considered an heir to the North, because it suits his purposes, even though he doesn’t recognize women in the Lannister line as heirs (Cersei, for example). And then there are Margaery and Olenna’s ambitions…the women are obviously the driving power in House Tyrell.
    And finally, Dany herself is set on being Queen of the seven kingdoms (and maybe more, if Astapor and Yunkai are any indication) regardless of her gender and the legal line of succession.

95. Adria
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Joh,

Joh: Shireen is Stannis’ only heir (well, if we don’t count creepy shadow baby). Tywin seems convinced that Sansa Stark could be considered an heir to the North, because it suits his purposes, even though he doesn’t recognize women in the Lannister line as heirs (Cersei, for example)

Twyin is not claiming Sansa is the heir to the North just because it suits him. It’s because that’s how lines of succession work in Westeros. Tywin believes he’ll defeat/kill Robb and then she’ll have no living legitimate male siblings as he believes Bran and Rickon are dead) and also Ned had no nieces/nephews. Therefore she WILL be the heir to the North. He doesn’t recognize Cersei as the heir because she has a 2 living brothers. Even though Jaime is in the Kingsguard I believe Tywin intends for Jaime to leave the Kingsguard and take his place as Lord of Casterly Rock eventually.

96. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Richard: Is it a spoiler for someone to explain to me what the connection is with the ravens, the Weir Tree and/or White Walker?

I don’t really have an explanation for you, just some observations:

a) Sam was raised in the Reach, in the Faith of the Seven. However, he and Jon swore their oaths to the Night’s Watch at a Weirwood Tree a little north of the Wall, i.e. by the Old Gods. He did this partly because he idolizes Jon and partly as an act of defiance against his abusive father.

Recently, after telling Gilly the Wall was “not far”, he sang her son a lullaby about the Father and the Maiden, two figures from the Faith of the Seven. Given both their personal histories, the lyrics were wildly inappropriate.

In this episode, he once again seeks out a Weirwood tree, quite possibly the one where he swore his oath. Presumably he knew there was a structure there.

Subtext: Sam has rejected his father Randall but he is still a Southerner at heart. Up to this point, religion has been more about rituals and practical matters than actual faith for him. That might change now he’s gone mano a mano with one of what Mormont called Craster’s “crueler gods than yours or mine” and lived to tell the tale. They say there are no atheists in foxholes.

b) Of the Weirwoods we’ve seen to date, I believe today’s is the only one that wasn’t weeping sap from the eyes carved in it. Not 100% sure about that, though. The ravens began to gather as soon as Sam arrived. It’s almost as if they knew what was about to happen, especially when they squawked as the White Walker approached.

Subtext: The sap thing may well turn out to be more than a metaphor. We did learn that all ravens – not just the three-eyed one in Brans and Jojen’s dreams – are supernatural in some way. From now on, ravens are not just communications devices but communicators: the medium is the message and the messengers are mediums.

c) At this point, there is no reason to assume the White Walkers have any relationship with the Weirwoods at all.

Their primary m.o. appears to be dismembering humans and animals before arranging the pieces in intricate patterns. In season 1 episode 1, we saw the body of a little girl speared to a tree near the first of these patterns. A little later, she was a blue-eyed zombie. Ergo, these rituals appear to be related to this type of resurrection. The corpse the Night’s Watch found didn’t attack Mormont until after they had brought it back to Castle Black, so there’s a delay of hours to days between the ritual and the effect.

We haven’t seen body parts from any baby boys, though, which may imply the White Walkers need them for some different purpose. It’s not clear if the WW cannot use baby girls or if they’re simply more valuable to them as producers of yet more boys.

Side note: we also got an aerial shot of Drogo’s funeral pyre, two concentric circles with a spoke. Mirri Maz Duur had was a necklace of an eye, probably in reference her faith in the Great Shepherd. It also had a circle-in-circle-with-spokes motif.

Graphically, the art department appears to have drawn inspiration from both alchemical symbology (circles and lines; the letter O in all promo artwork also features either one or three lines, never two) and petroglyphs (spiral). Note that the stone plate covering the dragonglass cache at the Fist of First Men featured an actual petroglyph, though it appeared to be more intricate than a simple spiral. Quaithe’s henna tattoo in Qarth was quite different but similarly complex.

97. gosensgo
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I would like to see volantis, and also high garden!!

98. Richard
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

This is great, Nagga’s Kin. I’ve seen Season 1 and 2 twice and I’m pretty sure you are right about the weeping eyes on the tree (that this was the first time we’ve seen one sans sap). Hopefully it wasn’t just the person in charge of continuity being asleep at the wheel, ha. This is the first time I’ve seen the ravens/crows in what looked like an aggressive state, but they could just been en masse to help/warn a fellow Crow, even chasing them away from the area.

Nagga’s Kin: I don’t really have an explanation for you, just some observations:

99. Adria
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

I think ironic is a better description of the lullaby. If that song was inappropriate then an appropriate one would list the cruelties Sam and Gilly experienced at the hands of their fathers. Yuck. I dont want to hear that lullaby.

As for the ravens, I don’t thik we learned that all ravens are supernatural. I have not seen that. There was definitely something weird going on with that flock, as to all ravens? We dont know anything like that.

100. Turncloak
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

High Garden! Can’t believe I forgot to mention that one! Would love to go there in real life as well as the show. especially if I see more people that look like Natalie Dormer (Margaery) ;)

101. Joh
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Adria,

I don’t believe that we are in disagreement regarding Tywin and Cersei. She is his oldest child, but cannot inherit because she is a woman. Cersei, obviously, thinks this is terribly unfair. Of course, Jaime is kingsguard, so he can’t inherit, and Tywin has already denied Tyrion rights to Casterly Rock.

As for Sansa, it could also be stated that Robb cannot be recognized as heir to Winterfell because he is a traitor to the throne. It sounded to me like the Lannisters/royal family would recognize a child of Tyrion and Sansa as the heir before they would recognize Robb.

102. Dr Judy
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Silverstormm: Is there anyway of perhaps moderating the comments before they get posted to the board for this?? I realise that that would be a fairly hefty task though.
    To be quite honest as WiC’s ‘official’ unsullied recapper it’s your thoughts I’m most interested in so I wouldn’t even mind it if commenting was turned off for this post if itcomes down to a choice of all or nothing re the comment section. I’d rather that than have no post at all?

Maybe Unsullied could submit their predictions to a specified e-mail/non-viewable discussion board by a certain date, and the moderators could review them all at once, then post them en masse for our enjoyment (probably with comments disabled, at least for a few days)? It wouldn’t give the opportunity to build on other people’s ideas, but at least we could see a variety of speculations without spoilers from the weak-willed.

Maybe we could get really complicated and have some sort of vote for favorites? (Most suitable suggested method of death. Character most viewers want to see die the soonest? Optimal number of boobs seen per episode? Most humorous rationale for why YOUR favorite character should live to see another season? What topic should the Queen of Thorns “explain” next?)

103. I Know Of Fear
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Richard: That’s fine, I thought it was something I missed on the show so far. Looking forward to the eventual answer.

I too thought that was some connection I should get, but when the White Walker appeared I realized it was probably all about him. The Starks followed the old gods and now one of them is seeing a raven with three eyes. Now ravens are landing on a face tree that isn’t crying “blood” tears and it culminates with a White Walker approaching. The WW haven’t been seen in generations, so if the new gods are newer than that last appearance then there might be a reason people worshipped them at a time when nobody doubted magical creatures roamed.

Alternatively, people may have abandoned the old gods because the new ones offered better protection. The WW didn’t mind walking up to the tree, and the tree wasn’t crying when it got close. I also notice that the old gods are the only gods beyond the wall, where giants and wargs still roam. And it seems that the further you get from the wall, the more people worship the new gods instead of the old… and the less they believe in paranormal beings. It might be that people found better protection with the new than the old gods in several ways.

And of course it turns out that the Red Woman thinks her god can protect everyone from darkness if Stannis is on the throne. Perhaps she means a literal darkness, like the long night when White Walkers terrorized the people. And about the story of the long night: was Old Nan talking about people in the 7 kingdoms, or about the First Men who had yet to settle the southern land? Was the wall meant to separate people who adopted the new gods from people who chose not to and thus did not find protection from the supernatural beings?

There is so much to speculate on from that one scene.

104. Deez
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Yellow Dog,

Yellow Dog:
    Selmy,

Add me to the list of everyone wanting to read predictions from the Unsullied.We won’t laugh, I swear.

Bolton is gonna betray Rob, the fact they made a point of saying he was going to the Twins make me think Frey will be involved, I think things will get ugly there. Arya will show up and the Hound will be a good guy and help her out. I think Joff will die because of the whole Stannis leach thing, but I’m having a hard time thinking of who will do it, maybe Tywin because he gets sick of his crap (plus doesn’t the hand become king if the king dies?)

105. Joh
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

The Harvest Festival/Masquerade at High Garden sounded super cool!

I hope we get to see it at some point, especially considering all of the gorgeous costume designs this show has.

106. I Know Of Fear
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Deez,

I don’t think the Hand is in the line of succession like a vice president would be. Otherwise, Tywin would have ordered a hit already, considering how concerned he is with people failing to maintain the family legacy.

No, Joffrey’s litte brother would become king. Good thing it was the sister and not him that Tyrion shipped off to Dorne.

107. Deez
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

springwillcome:
    Edmure is the Tully heir – so theBlackfish wasn’t that much of a catch to begin with – he should be pretty safe from having to marry one of those grey-riding- hood- girls…. .

Amen, only thing Edmure messed up was killing the mountain, this whole season has changed my perspective on Rob. He used to be one of my favorites, now I find myself not liking him, it’s been one dumb decision after another with him.

108. Deez
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear:
    Deez,

Was thinking about how Ned was gonna rule after Robert died, but now that I think of it that was on specific orders, so who’s gonna take him out then, not sure Tyrion has it in him

109. I Know Of Fear
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Deez,

Who will kill Joffrey? I hope his queen does it as soon as she gets pregnant. I don’t even care if that turns out not to be Margery as long as someone kills him and wrestle succession away from the Lannisters.

110. Delta1212
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I realize it’s common knowledge for most people at this point, but just in case anyone has missed it.

TWoP has a Completely Unspoiled Speculation Thread. If anyone who has read any of the books even posts in the thread, regardless of what they are posting, it’s a bannable offense. Any spoilers that do get posted are generally deleted pretty quickly. So if you’re looking for someplace “safe” to post/read Unsullied speculation, that’s probably a good option.

111. Jar baby
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Favorite humorous scene- Joffery walking away with the step stool. Damn near pissed myself.

112. Spryte
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

My suggestion is to only take suggestions from Unsullied. :) One mentioned a season-to-date recap, I think it makes the most sense as it’ll help to remember all of the characters’ storylines so far.

I would hate to see speculation here, it’s just not safe… But no matter what you do, the Sullied will continue to salivate over your every word.

113. Valyrian
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Eor!: This actually already happens, and it pisses me off so much.

It happens, we are surrounded.

114. Gatorfisch
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

I think the reason that Melisandre didn’t let Gendry “finish” was she wanted a lot of blood in one particular area, if you know what I mean.

Can the Queen of Thrones get a spinoff? Maybe co-starring Varys and Tyrion?

115. Valyrian
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Spryte:
    Oz of Thrones,

My suggestion is to only take suggestions from Unsullied. :)One mentioned a season-to-date recap,I think it makes the most sense as it’ll help to remember all of the characters’ storylines so far.

I’m among the people who suggested it, and sure, it would be fun for both parties, but it’s really not worth the risk, when you come to think of it :(

116. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

When I grow up I want to be Lady Olenna HBIC Tyrell.

I want to hear your speculation too! I think any Unsullied speculation should definitely NOT BE responded to by Sullied, because it could getspoilery/ messy.

117. grumpycetacean
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:15 am | Permalink

It’s been bothering me since I saw the ep…looked like Sam left the dragon-glass! I was also surprised to see the Tyrion/Sansa wedding…thought maybe Jaime would return in time to stop it by sending Sansa back to the Starks. I’ve felt there was too little Tyrion this season, but this ep made up for it. When Tyrion threatened to turn Joff and Theon into a matching set after making that disgusting threat to rape Sansa…just perfect delivery that whole scene. Tyrion is the man.

When I was watching I thought Oz had nailed it with his prediction that the Red Priestess was going to make another demon baby with Gendry. Very nearly!! I think the three Stannis named will die. I never thought I’d agree with Stannis, but I could do without all of those characters. He should have named Tywin to really end the war though. I hope Davos talked sense into Stannis about Gendry.

So, I want to go to Braavos, real bad, cos all the Braavosi guys are apparently super delish. *grabby hands*

118. 3eyes
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Arya – It’s hard to shake the feeling that she’s (we are) being set up for a major disappointment. Dany – In that first meeting with the Second Sons, Daario is the only one of the three that sees Dany for what she really is – a badass Dragon Who Would Be Queen, and takes her seriously enough to challenge her. From his expression and body language, he is clearly impressed, and I think that is the moment when he begins to reconsider his options. Of course it doesn’t hurt that she’s young and beautiful (nice touch, stepping out of the tub slowly and letting him get a good look:D), but his associates must have looked like total losers to him after meeting her. Gendry – I just can’t.
    Tyrion and Sansa – Will Tyrion, once he sobers up, pull his head out and start marshaling whatever resources he has at his disposal to help Sansa? Perhaps Jaime will lead a mini rebellion of the Lannister children when (if?) he arrives in KL. Cersei certainly seems enraged enough to do some damage. Sam and Gilly – My favorites for this episode, especially loved the homage to “The Birds”. I sense that the spot they chose to shelter in may have been the site for sacrifices to the old gods, and the ravens may have been trying to warn them. So many ideas for the next few episodes and season 4, but afraid to spoil.

119. Hounded
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 4:01 am | Permalink

Delta1212,

“bannable offense”

Lol calm down bro

120. Silverstormm
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Re TWoP thread, I’d prefer to read Wic’s unsullied folks own individual speculations rather than them going to a thread that is essentially a speculation ‘discussion’ thread and simply latching onto other people’s ideas, i.e. spec – “Robb will become a werewolf & rip Jofferys’s throat out – oh yeah that’s a good one I agree!” type situation. It’s far more interesting to read what an unsullied has deduced and foresees from their own individual experience of the show/story without influence from anyone else.
    I’m not saying anybody has done that btw just that it’s much more interesting to read folks own ideas no matter how ‘out there’ they may be.

121. Dana
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

LOL she is a hottie
    Im a girl – Loras is not my type haha

High garden does sound amazing though

122. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Book Nazi: GreatJon

Hmmm…you may have a point here. Then again, I’ve met Podrick Payne, I’ve talked to Podrick Payne, and Hot Pie, sir, is no Podrick Payne.

123. UF
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 10:02 am | Permalink

gosensgo:
    I don’t see it. She is EVIL.

GRRM is great in writing multilayered characters who are not just good or just bad. I myself despised Jamie in S1 but now have a huge crush on him (*blush*)

So, we might be surprised. We haven’t seen her point of view yet.

124. Delta1212
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Hounded,

What? That’s the rule on that site. I didn’t make it up.

125. SB
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

For all the unsullied, as every season episode 9 is going to be a blast :) . Enjoy your unknowing.

126. gosensgo
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Eor!,

thank you!

127. outdoorcats
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Dr Judy,

I like this idea.

128. Sami
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I LOVED this episode… I have only one thing to ask…. if anyone can answer it then awesome….

I LOVED the scene with Sam the slayer however….. I thought if whitewalkers touch people it kills them and turns them into the whites? or blue eyes corpses…..

Sam got hit by the white walker after the sword broke? why didnt he turn into a white? I thought that was what they were known for?

129. bRad
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

This is my first post here, though i’ve been reading others comments for the last few weeks. Here’s my unsullied take on what I think may happen in the final episodes:

Jamie & Brienne will make it to King’s landing and something epic will happen… maybe Jamie will reveal that Joffrey is not a Barathian? He seems to be a ‘good guy’ now and I have a feeling his loyalties may be shifting. Not sure he would throw his sister and his son under thus bus like that though.

Maybe Gendry will escape and make it to King’s landing and make his claim for the throne? Probably a long shot. No matter what happens in KL, I expect and look forward to some more Varys / Little finger trickery.

Not sure if anyone has speculated on this… doesn’t Stanis’s daughter’s disease look like scales? dragon? I have nothing to back it up, just speculation. I do expect that storyline to develop more though maybe not until the next season.

Finally, I think Rob’s time is coming to an end too. There are to many weird things going on around him. As was speculated in previous threads, I think his wife may be a spy (those letters she is writing). Why else would they show her writing letters, haha.

As for what I would like to see next season, I want to be reunited with the face-less guy from Bravos, I want Dany to finally get to westeros, and I want to see the white walkers make some more noise!

130. I Know Of Fear
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Sami,

I think the person needs to be dead before the can be turned. It also looks like there is a ritual involved and a delay of at least several hours, maybe days, before the process is complete. And we don’t know how many White Walkers it takes to change a lightb-, uh, a human.

My question is why have 2 of them ignored Sam so far. Like the Borg, the didn’t attack until he threatened them (another unsullied mentioned that before). Granted, this on was on a mission to get a baby and the last one was herding whytes around.

131. gosensgo
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

true… but its still interesting how they have ignored sam a few times.

132. I Know Of Fear
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

bRad,

I totally agree with you about Robb. Things are going great for his army, but there is too much wierdness and strife going on with him personally. I can easily see his closest men turning on him, especially if this King of the North has no heir and no home to return to. He has to take Casterly Rock or morale in his forces will drop like a rock.

I don’t agree about Jaime coming clean though. He may be more humble now and less selfish/family-centric, but he wouldn’t dare upset his dad. Nobody would.

And you’re certainly noy the only one who thought of dragons after seeing the Baratheon daughter.

133. gosensgo
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Okay so this may be a stupid question considering where we are in the show….
    When we were introduced to Stannis last year, the red witch was already with him. Do we know how she has come to the conclusion that he is the chosen one (the Lord’s chosen)? how did she come to him?

134. I Know Of Fear
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

That isn’t a stupid question at all. I’m just confident we won’t get an answer until half a season from now. Stannis is legally the rightful king, but that probably isn’t her personal reason for thinking he should be on the throne.

135. gosensgo
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

Okay Thanks for clarifying. i thought it was known already and I maybe missed something.

Also – you say Stannis is legally the rightful king. I agree. But Gendry has no right? Is it because he’s a bastard?
    So jon Snow would never be an heir to winterfell? (knights watch duties aside)

136. Jentario
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Funny. I thought it was one of the best episodes this season. Top 3.

137. Eor!
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

gosensgo:
    I Know Of Fear,

So jon Snow would never be an heir to winterfell? (knights watch duties aside)

Officially bastards aren’t in the line of succession and have no rights to their fathers (or mothers, i guess) holdings

138. I Know of Fear
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

Bingo. No child out of wedlock has any legal rights to inheritance.

139. Gosensgo
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I Know of Fear,
    Thank you. One more question. Sorry – so why did they kill all of Roberts bastards including an attempt to get gendry?

140. I Know of Fear
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Gosensgo,

Because Joffrey himself is also a bastard; Jaime Lannister’s bastard. His claim to the throne is even weaker than Gendry’s. The Lannisters were already busy with people like Robb Stark getting enough popular support to declare himself a king, they couldn’t have that happening within the capital itself and risk a rebellion in the heart of the realm.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Robert had enough kids for them to form their own army.

141. I Know Of Fear
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

Oh yeah, and Jon Snow would never have been heir to Ned Stark. That’s what makes it so funny that his fellow Crows used to call him Lord Snow. His last name proves he is a bastard of the North and thus not entitled to the respect he is used to getting.

142. Matt
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

I’m kinda sad that Robb and Stannis haven’t met up for a friendly chat, like Cat did with Renly. Stannis would probably let Robb be Warden of the North, just like Ned was, and sit on the Iron Throne himself. That way Joff, Balon, Tywin and Cersei could all just go die in a dark corner somewhere….

…Until Khaleesi crosses the narrow sea with her dragons! Then Stannis and Robb would be screwed LOL

143. Ned'sFirstBastard
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Silverstormm,
    Agreed. I like reading the Unsullied perspective, and I would love to hear what your thoughts and predictions for the remainder of Season 3 will be. As a book reader, it’s fun and refreshing to hear “virgin” opinions. Sometimes I wish I was Unsullied :( LOL

144. Stella
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Wolfman27,

Well, there are 8,000 official Unsullied. There are also more Unsullied that have yet to be fully trained and Daenerys has these, too. So perhaps, from her point of view, she does have 10,000 Unsullied.

145. B
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Adria,

Yeah and the actor, Charles Dance, who portrays Tywin is 65 and just had a baby with a 30 year old.

146. Arthur
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Just wondering….

Are there any Tyrion/Sansa shippers here? Do any of you like that idea and predict it growing into something? Or do you think it isn’t ever going to work and will always just be a marriage without any kind of love?

147. B
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

I am a sullied, but this is not spoilers, this is from what we have already seen on he show…
    Mel said in the episode where she and Thoros meet up that they were each dispatched from Essos to the Westerosi kings and lords to try to recruit them to their religion, sort of like the Christian missionaries. My guess is there were others too. We may or may not meet those in the future. But that is why Mel was there. You get the lords to convert, you get their people too. Also remember, Mel “sees things” in her fires. She has said many times that she has seen Stannis Destiny in the flames. The flames also led her to Gendry I believe (speculative) and she has the ability to see things out of the flames as well, as per Arya for example…. She tells Arya she sees a darkness, that she will close many eyes forever and that they will meet again. So she has prophetic visions that (as in Blavkwater) are often misread. I think she is misunderstood.

148. B
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

I was hoping to get more speculation from the Unsullieds about the White Walkers and the Different religions of Westeros and Essos. I also would love to hear what the unsullied think will happen with Bran and Arya’s Storylines and what Baelish has up his sleeve. This is not spoilery but a flashback… Remember Balish saw Arya but did not share this Info with Tywin or anyone else who matters on the show. Knowing who he is, he’s got to try to use this somehow to his benefit. Anyone care to speculate? Also, Yara Greyjoy… What do you think is going to happen with her story line? We saw her in the preview but have not seen her back this season yet. This is not from the books, but I wonder what significance the Greyjoys play in everything. The are a part of the show that they have spent a ignificant length of time on… Yet they feel so separate. There must be a reason for this, how do you all think they factor into the Game?

149. I Know of Fear
    Posted May 21, 2013 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

B,

I didn’t realize Yara had her own storyline, at least not any more so than Lysa. They haven’t really spent any time at all on Theon’s family except in season 2 to begin his downfall, and they’ve just been on the periphery otherwise. Though I’ve already suggested that the Greyjoy’s fleet will pose a problem for that pirate fleet Stannis contracted.

Bran’s storyline is starting to piss me off because he is only like 5 freaking miles from Jon. If one of them sneezes the other should be able to hear it. They’ve got same landscapes in the background of their scenes and I’m expecting Bran to find that windmill any day now. If he is a warg he could go dream himself into a direwolf and sniff out Jon, but instead he is off hunting the one raven that didn’t witness Sam’s moment of bravery. Since Bran hasn’t had anymore prophetic dreams (like the one about Winterfell’s fall) I got no idea what is going on with him.

Also don’t know what’s going on with Arya, except that I know she still isn’t going to meet her family and will get passed off to another “mentor” once the Hound has to part ways. At least we do have a prophecy about what will happen with her. And since Baelish hasn’t mentioned finding Arya (to anyone that can do something about it) it must mean he has spies looking for her to pop up elsewhere. That will be an impressive battle of wills.

Do any other unsullied have predictions about this stuff? Dana, bRad, Deez, gosensgo, Richard, Turncloak… and of course the great and eloquent Oz. I love hearing if you guess are thinking what I’m thinking or not.

150. B
    Posted May 22, 2013 at 12:49 am | Permalink

I Know of Fear,

Hmmm, I like your train of thought. And please other un’s chime in.

151. malazan matt
    Posted May 22, 2013 at 1:06 am | Permalink

I’ve read all the books and watched every episode of the show at least twice. .. and I can’t help but notice there are no real true, strong heroes alive in the world. At least none that really inspire me. Stannis? Jon? Danny? The Hound? Beric? It makes me think I’d really like to see those that are revered and immortalized in Westerosi history. A prequel show of a young Ned, Robert, Sir Barristan, etc would definitely excite me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m entrenched in this current story and the masterpiece Martin had created, just left a little bit intrigued by the history almost as much as I am the present (of this fictional world).

152. Dany's 1-Eyed Dragon
    Posted May 22, 2013 at 3:57 am | Permalink

I Know of Fear,

I agree… I don’t really see Yara as having a storyline, but I’ll predict that she does not have sex with her brother this season or any other! As far as the Greyjoys go in general, I just don’t see how they could ever be a real contender for the Iron Throne. To succeed in the game, it seems that you have to make alliances and/or have a superior military advantage. Baylon does not make deals with other houses (he pays the iron price) and the iron islands appear very small and sparely populated from what we’ve seen of them. Also, I can’t see how their naval fleet can be of any real consequence. I was very surprised that Stannis even acknowledged Baylon in the leach grill ceremony.

As an aside on that scene, I do not think the leech grill was a death sentence for those named… like leech voodoo dolls. I thought that was the fire goblet that Stannis saw his vision of the battle in the snow. So my thinking is that Melisandro and Stannis are going to show Davos visions or the whereabouts of the three usurpers. A few drops of king’s blood (or half bloodline actually) I don’t think has the power to kill or dispatch demon babies.

153. gosensgo
    Posted May 22, 2013 at 7:30 am | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

Okay that makes a lot more sense.
    Thanks a lot!!

154. gosensgo
    Posted May 22, 2013 at 7:53 am | Permalink

I Know of Fear,

The Bran story is really pissing me off also – it is moving forward so slowly. Jon is on his way to the wall, so is Bran. I have a feeling its about time that maybe 2 of the starks are reunited. We don’t think any of the other ones are going to be reunited. So maybe Bran will reach the wall and Jon will be there. This is completely wishful thinking to be honest. But I may be right? Jon will arrive at the wall and see that the crows no longer exist. The only one there is Maester Aemon?

As I predicted earlier, I think that Stannis named the three that he wants killed, and that will be killed by some spirit or something Lord of Lighty LOL. If that doesnt kill Robb then Frey will have him killed? All I know is Robb is going soon I have this bad feeling :(

I think we will be revealed that Theon is being tortured by Roose Bolton’s Bastard. Why? I have no idea…. If its just for fun, then i am going to be annoyed by that – if there is a solid reason then okay – I mean yeah theon destroyed winterfell pretty much but dragging the story line like that – there must be a bigger reaosn. I predict that Yara his sister is going to save him. Then they are going to fight with Stannis also.

I HOPE joff dies. If the Lord of light spirit thing doesnt do it, i hope sansa does LOL but we know that wont happen. Just kill him already.

Arya will not make it to her family – If she does – she will ge there and there is a tragedy awaiting her – Maybe robb dead already or something :( But i dont think she will make it. Maybe she will reunite with a faceless person.

Finally, I cant wait to see if Jamie arrives at KL and what will happen then… but going on with the trend of the show, he wont make it there LOL

I honestly have no i dea what to think. But these are my preliminary conclusions. I cant wait till episode 9 – based on people talk, its going to be good. As all episode 9s are bigger then 10s.

PS – i have also commented as Dana – so Dana and I are the same person LOL
    Anybody care to disagree or agree?

155. solarshock
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 10:17 am | Permalink

I have to say, the screencap selected for this post is the PERFECT depiction of this wedding and I love it.

156. DragonsAreMyJam
    Posted May 25, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Unsullied here. I think episode 8 basically included spoilers and told us who will die either this season or next. The leeches in the fire, Stannis named them. Rob, Baylon, and Joffery. I think all three of them are going to die, although I’m not sure when or if it will be in this season. I could see it being something that takes a while to happen… Idk. I do feel like including that scene def had the potential to spoil some future developments for insightful watchers. Again I could be totally wrong! Ya never know with this show.

157. Klan
    Posted May 26, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

I cant help thinking about Arya was promised to one of the Frey sons by Rob. If she turns up at the twins, isn’t it likely that Frey would demand an engagement, might even demand that Arya is left there?

1. […] the comments will contain spoilers. If you haven’t read ASoS yet, you can discuss this episode in our non-book reader recap. […]