Report: Thrones to return to Iceland for season 4
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Rumors, Speculation.

Þingvellir Iceland

Icelandic geek news site Svarthofdi is reporting via their sources that Game of Thrones will return to the island country to film season 4. Only this time, instead of filming in December, in the snow and ice, they will come in the summer and film against a lush, green landscape. The report indicates filming would start in late July and continue through August. An added bonus of filming then, the days are long and would provide plenty of daylight in which to film.

The report indicates a trio of potential filming locations, including Þingvellir. As you can see from the photo above, Þingvellir offers quite a stunning backdrop for any number of scenes in season 4.

(An interesting aside, Þingvellir translates to “thing field” or “ting field”. A “ting” is a government assembly; in English it is often called a “moot”. This particular location was literally the place of some ancient Icelandic moots. Coincidence?).

Winter Is Coming: I don’t know how trustworthy this site is, so I wouldn’t consider this a done deal just yet. But it does make a lot of sense for the production to return as they’ve already established a crew of locals and have a good working relationship with the Icelandic film board. With unused locations likely starting to get more and more scarce in Northern Ireland, doing more filming in Iceland will provide some fresh, new vistas.

1. Siobhán Mooney
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Very interesting news! I never would have guessed that the photo was from Iceland. :-)

2. young stark
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Hodor

3. Arkash
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Mmmmh… makes sense… no need for scenes North of the Wall in season 4 (Bran’s arc will be shot in Ireland I’m sure)… and Iceland is a beautiful country that could serve for many landscapes in summer as well !

4. Daemon
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I’m kinda wondering what this would be for. The only person out and about in green, lush land next season is Arya, right? Brienne maybe?

5. Nezzer
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

That scenery looks like how I pictured the more inland parts of Iron Islands. I could see Aeron Greyjoy riding through those fields searching Lord Goodbrother to spread the word of the Kingsmoot. Please, make it happen, HBO.

6. Davy
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Iceland could be used for Queenscrown I think.

7. Arkash
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Arya, Brienne (and Jaime) at the beginning and end of the season I’d guess, maybe Yara if the kingsmoot is in and she takes refuge at Deepwood Motte by the end of the season, possibly Theon if he can breathe some fresh air, Sansa when she goes to the Vale…

8. Nezzer
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Davy,

Queenscrown will be in episode 9 of the season 3 already.

Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Arkash, the spoiler button; use it. #TheLonelyIsland

10. Nick Larter
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Here’s a theory – that pic could easilybe the Neck and form the backdrop to Moat Cailin Given that we have a Yara scene to come in S3 I think they might show her sending off the Sea Bitch crew – Dagmer, Lorren et al – to take Moat Cailin after Balon’s death thereby establishing the plot thread that Roose can’t get back North. Then they’ll bring forwards the plot point where Theonhelps Ramsayget theIronmenout ofMoat Cailinto S4, with the added irony of him meeting his old crew again.

11. Arkash
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Yep, sorry, thanks for correcting behind me ! My bad ! ;)

12. Seonaidh Ceanneidigh
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

At first I thought, “What? Why?” Then I read the part about filming the green landscape and I thought, “Ooh, great!”

Can’t wait to see it. I wonder what scenes will be filmed there though?

13. Dolorous Ned
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

I just came back from Iceland one week ago and I still can’t believe how many stunning landscapes I’ve seen… so thumbs up for Icelandic filming locations in summer.
    The Beyond the Wall stuff always seemed way too rushed, in an “it’s damn cold and there’s only four hours of daylight, so this take must do” kind of way

btw Þingvellir was, aside from being insanely beautiful, the location of the Alþing, one of the world’s oldest parliaments… just for that reason it would be an awesome location for the Kingsmoot in my nerdy mind, even though it’s far from the sea

14. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Why wouldn’t they need Iceland for Bran’s arc? Or are we thinking Season 5 for that? Is he really still not going to get to the Wall this year?

15. Alan
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Nezzer:

16. Sinclair
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Interesting news!

Thingvellir does not actually mean “thing” field. “Ting” in Old Norse (and modern Icelandic, Norwegian and Danish) means gathering, assembly or meeting. More specifically, a “ting” is a political assembly for the passing of laws, settling of disputes and election of leaders. Today, the parliaments of Norway, Denmark and Iceland are known as, respectively, Storting (Great Assembly), Folketing (People’s assembly) and Alting (general assembly).

Where am I going with this? Of course, this sort of assembly is what anglophones (including GRRM) call a moot, as in Entmoot and Kingsmoot. “Tingvellir” means, literally, “moot field”, and was a gathering place in Norse times. Coincidence? I think not.

And I see Dolourous Ned Norse-nerded ahead of me. Deftly done, ser.

Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Sinclair, actually it looks like it translates in English to “thing” and not “ting”, at least according to Wikipedia. But that is a cool bit of trivia, and worthy of adding to the post, I’d say.

Thanks!

18. Nezzer
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Alan: How serious are people taking Frank Doelger’s comments about seven seasons? Because if so, there’s almost no way to do it without massive divergence or cutting of storylines. And in either case, there’s no Iron Islands storyline.

It’s not about Doelger’s comments. I’ve always thought we’d be seeing the Kingsmoot in season 4. AFFC is not a chronological book. Check this timeline:

There you can see that all Kingsmoot-related Iron Islands chapters happen during ASOS. They belong in ASOS, even though they are in AFFC. The Kingsmoot, for instance, happens before Tyrion’s trial and Oberyn and Gregor’s duel.

19. Sinclair
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Winteriscoming,
    It does indeed. “Thing” would be the most phonetically correct english rendering of the original norse and modern Icelandic pronounciation.

Great site, by the way, and glad to finally be lured out of lurking. Please keep up the excellent work.

Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Actually, that is the origin of the word, so you are both right. It means thing, but ting especially in such a name refers to the assembly, yes. You discuss things at the assembly :) Compare to republic – res publica – Latin for public thing, public matters.

21. Bard
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

As beautiful as the locations in (Northern) Ireland might be, I don’t think the whole of Westeros (apart from King’s Landing and the Frostfangs) should look like the island. It’s supposed to be a continent with many different landscapes. I know it’s probably too expensive and effortful, but I think it could be great if they would shoot some scenes in, let’s say, England, France or Germany for example.

22. GeekFurious
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

I’ve been saying this for years. People don’t realize that Iceland looks a lot like Middle-Earth (or New Zealand if you will) in a lot of places. It may not have a lot of trees but it has these great green planes that are absolutely gorgeous.

23. Darquemode
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

I never doubted we would get the Kingsmoot and Iceland would certainly fit my idea of Iron Islands culture and landscape!

I do like the idea of keeping a crew in Iceland for “Southern” Westeros as well though. It could make for an ideal location to film The Reach. Brienne’s adventures should be included in the series IMO and having new scenery would help add a new feeling to the new location on the series.

24. GeekFurious
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Sinclair:
    Winteriscoming,

25. Easteros bunny
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Perfect for dorne!

26. Darquemode
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

Agreed.

I have thought that Balon’s death would make a good opening or closing scene scene for the first episode of Season 4. The Kingsmoot needs to be next year because of that. It also helps to avoid overwhelming the viewers with too many new characters in any one season.

Next season we get the Ironborn lords and crew, Oberyn and his party (mostly extras in all likelihood), a few new roles along The Wall (wildlings and a couple elders of the Night’s Watch) and a few lords in the Reach or KL. Then the Dornish can come on in full for Season 5 asking for a nice even split of new characters between the two seasons.

27. Chickenduck
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious: The correct way to pronounce the ing is th-eeng, like when you say the word ping. But with the th. :)

So it’s very close to the English word “think”. But with a longer “i” sound. So… “theenk”. Although it might not be aspirated in the middle of a compound like “Þingvellir”, need to ask about that.

But I do know that double-L in Icelandic is pronounced like “TL”. So I’d be pretty certain that “vellir” is pronounced like English “vettlir” (/ˈvɛtlir/).

So the whole thing might be /’θiŋvɛtlir/.

Might go look that up and check. Y’all need to learn to use IPA, it makes these kinds of discussions far easier :)

28. Chickenduck
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Ah yep, here we go. They DO aspirate the ng in the middle of a compound still.

Correct pronunciation of the whole thing is: [ˈθiŋkˌvɛtlɪr̥].

Kind of like “think vettlir” but with the final ‘r’ rolled.

29. Chickenduck
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Beautiful place however you pronounce it!

30. Jonas
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

“An interesting aside, Þingvellir translates to “thing field” or “ting field”. A “ting” is a government assembly; in English it is often called a “moot”. This particular location was literally the place of some ancient Icelandic moots. Coincidence?”

This place wasnt a place of “some ancient icelandic moot”. It was the place where the oldest parliament in the world at the time, althing, took place. And still, to this day, we call our goverment “althingi”.

Posted May 23, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

I was under the impression that Iceland had little-to-no trees…

32. Anne
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Lex,

enlarge that photo-looks like little to no trees to me when you take in the whole landscape!

33. Chickenduck
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    I was under the impression that Iceland had little-to-no trees…

It has a couple, where people have planted them. Just not many. And not really any forest.

Apparently, before humans arrived, the island was almost all forested. Records from the early 12th century CE still refer to Iceland as being “forested from mountain to shore”, but the forests of slow-growing native trees were unsustainably harvested over centuries and eventually wiped out.

34. ATG
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Hopefully the news will turn out to be true.

35. ibgraham
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Is it true that there won’t be an episode this upcoming weekend? Because of memorial day? If so I wonder how many people will tune in just to be disappointed! Get the word out!

Also Iceland provides such awesome scenery for North of the Wall and glad they are returning. I have to go for a visit!

36. Nancy
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Looks beautiful there. I hope the rumor is true. GoT does use some beautiful lands to film the various locales of the show.

37. Ned
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

ONE OFF … Do we know if the Season Finale is longer than an hour? Like last year?

38. obsidian
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Before people get too carried away with suggesting Dorne .. Whatever the story location ,I think the characters would have to be on foot , or use Icelandic horses ( love ‘em ). These could double for garrons , I guess , but they’re protected and I think D&D would have to forget scenes that would require any other breeds . I think it’s illegal to bring other breeds into the country.

39. Roger König
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:
    Sinclair, actually it looks like it translates in English to “thing” and not “ting”, at least according to Wikipedia.But that is a cool bit of trivia, and worthy of adding to the post, I’d say.

Thanks!

Since i am from Germany i’ve had the German audiobooks of the books (which translation is better, because they didnt translate names and citys like in the printed version). In the German translation the kingsmoot is called “KönigsTING”. :)

40. Arthur
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Does anyone think HBO will release a little teaser for the next 2 remaining episodes after their Michael Douglas movie airs?

I hope they do, to feed the viewers interest, and knowing HBO I think they will.

I mean besides the little teaser they released after episode 8… It would be cool if D&D put together a little intense preview that doesn’t give away to much….. Hope they are working on it as we speak.

41. Arthur
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

And…

When can I buy the GoT season 3 soundtrack from iTunes?

42. kingslayer
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Now before any of you jump down my throat, just know i saved this list last week, and im now trying to find the source.. anyway apparently these are most of the roles being cast in season 4;

Euron Greyjoy
    Gylbert Farwynd
    Baelor Blacktyde
    Ben Plumm
    Ellaria Sand
    Arys Oakheart
    Wyman Manderly

Some of these roles however, particularly some of the NW brothers seem a bit odd and could easily be merged with other characters.

43. Alfador
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:12 am | Permalink

kingslayer,

Euron and Victarion but no Damphair? :-(

44. Turncloak
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:27 am | Permalink

kingslayer,

Euron and Victorian would be awesome. The Damphair is not necessary for the show

45. Shmurb
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:29 am | Permalink

kingslayer,

Interesting list, it’d be good to see your source. A lot of it sounds realistic, except as you said, for all the Night’s Watchmen. Also Ellaria? And Arianne but no Doran? Those are the things that make it questionable to me, but who knows.

46. Darquemode
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 2:32 am | Permalink

kingslayer,

Kingslayer, that looks like the list I compiled here, but even I do not think all of those roles will be cast. By no means was it meant to be taken as official or even possible. It was more of an oversized list of roles with outside possibilities to get people thinking and talking. I note some are unlikely at best and some are more likely next year if at all.

Outside of the Euron and Victaron Greyjoy and Oberyn Martell almost any role can be eliminated or combined with others to streamline things.

Personally I would like to see a Wildling or two and a couple Nights Watch for the battles and post-battle arc. I think they will add a few Ironborn to fill out scenes, but the will be fairly minor roles. Mace Tyrell maybe gets cast in Season 4 and at some point we could get Randyll Tarly and Wyman Manderly, but I think it more likely e see them in Season 5. I really want Brown Ben Plumm next year, but I can see him eliminated honestly.

47. Jentario
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Shmurb:
    kingslayer,

Arianne could come to KL with her uncle instead of staying at Dorne. A lot of fans have been suggesting it because it will lead to a much better segue to Dorne in season 5.

But until you find the source or at least give some explanations I wouldn’t believe it. There are a lot of unnecessary names there and a few missing ones which are more important.

48. JP Dayne
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:04 am | Permalink

kingslayer,

I like your list, except for that amount of black brothers and ironborn… It’s most likely they’ll have unimportant extras to play those roles. there’s no way they can add that amount of characters and keep the ball rolling with depht enough to make only for seven seasons. but still, they cast dirk, and the guy had that one scene…

I still believe dorne will be nearly chopped off — and amalgamation between oberyn and doran (basically oberyn will be the lord of sunspear), and arianne will be a combination o herself and the warrior sand snakes. and that’s it.

I think Mace might be cast. I hoped for one of the tyrell brothers, but that ship has sailed apparently since they made loras not of the kg, bethroted to samsa and now cersei (wtf…)
    Vic and Euron, I really WANT them in, individually, but I’m afraid it all depends on their roles in future books. If Euron doesn’t have an end game agenda and do something AWESOME in twow / ados, he’ll most likely be cut for not having a lot of screen time.

49. Red Hound
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:13 am | Permalink

JP Dayne: on their roles in future books. If Euron doesn’t have an end game agenda and do something AWESOME in twow / ados, he’ll most likely be cut for not having a lot of screen time.

50. Mike Dixon
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:14 am | Permalink

What about the Rhoyne?

51. Lou Reed
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:36 am | Permalink

They are going to build the biggest fire Iceland has ever seen!!!

Bet the Haunted Forrest scenes are all shot in Ireland though.

52. Lou Reed
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:40 am | Permalink

Shmurb:
    kingslayer,

If they have Arianne and no Doran, her scenes must be those with Arys Oakhart.

Would make sense, to wait with the Doran, Area Hotah and the sand snakes setup. And just open with Arianne and Arys Oakhart.

53. Lou Reed

Ben Plumm
    Ellaria Sand
    Arys Oakheart
    Wyman Manderly

54. Lou Reed
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:51 am | Permalink

Red Hound: I can’t imagine Euron not having a great plan or something. GRRM built up the Greyjoys in the background for a while, then put another one as POV, then they attacked The Reach and are now in the Slaver’s Bay. I think it’s quite massive thing and I can’t imagine it being cut. Plus, the horn!

If they are casting both Euron and Victarion, they are definately going strong with this arch. And Daenerys will need a fleet when spring comes.

Posted May 24, 2013 at 6:24 am | Permalink

Might go look that up and check.Y’all need to learn to use IPA, it makes these kinds of discussions far easier :)

Aye :)

56. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 6:45 am | Permalink

Lou Reed: If your list is correct, the biggest disapointment would be there is still no Kettleblack Brothers and still no Val.

No Kettleblack brothers is a disapointment? Meh.

57. Max
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 6:52 am | Permalink

I think this is for the Iron Islands. But who knows?

BTW I think they must have Arianne, Quntyn, Doran and Oberyn from the Martells. I think the sand snakes will be cut and that fans are over their heads if thinking we will get Darkstar or Spotted Sylvia.

And only Euron and Vic from the Greyjoys.

58. Abyss
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 7:02 am | Permalink
  59. WompWomp
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Agreed. The Kettleblacks Plots are pretty weak IMO, and they seem a bit out of character for show Cersei. Not to mention they have a seriously groanworthy house name. Where are the Crowblacks to go with their mediocrity?

60. WompWomp
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

I do hope for a CPR scene. It’s one of the few extended Greyjoy moments I really enjoyed.

61. Ser Hound
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I’m thinking that the Red Viper will be cast for season 4, but the rest of the Martells won’t be introduced till season 5. D&D don’t seem to cast big characters until they actually do something essential in the plot.

62. WompWomp
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Ser Hound,

More out of necessity than anything else, methinks.

63. Alan
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Nezzer: It’s not about Doelger’s comments. I’ve always thought we’d be seeing the Kingsmoot in season 4. AFFC is not a chronological book.Check this timeline:

There you can see that all Kingsmoot-related Iron Islands chapters happen during ASOS. They belong in ASOS, even though they are in AFFC.The Kingsmoot, for instance, happens before Tyrion’s trial and Oberyn and Gregor’s duel.

Are you even responding to my point? Doelger’s comments are very much relevant. I’m very aware when, chronologically, the Kingsmoot/Euron/Victarion storyline starts in the books.

My point is that if Doelger’s comment is not offhand; if there’s actually a plan to get to the end in seven seasons, it’s really, really likely, Euron, Victarion and the Kingsmoot are going to be completely cut. There’s too much plot in Feast & Dance to cut it down to a single season if they maintain all characters and storylines. And new Storylines are the least likely to be kept — because we have to learn new characters. And the Iron Islands storyline is almost completely irrelevant to the story. The Horn seems to be the only real important plotpoint; that can just appear. We don’t need a Kingsmoot, or any of the in between.

If there is a plan for seven seasons, I’d say there’s an incredibly good chance that the Iron Islands and probably Dorne are completely cut.

64. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

WompWomp:
    Greatjon of Slumber,

For sure. And even if we want someone for show Cersei to use up like a rented mule, there’s Meryn Trant. Others on other forums have suggested Bronn, but he’s way too clever or cunning for that, whereas Trant is a stone-headed buffoon, and would sub in perfectly for Osmund Kettleblack (and Moon Boy for that matter).

65. Andrej
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

The shooting dates have been posted in several Icelandic media outlets, so there’s likely some truth to it.

However I really doubt that they’ll be shooting in Þingvellir. This is one of the main tourist attraction in Iceland, especially in the area reachable by day tours from Reykjavik. It’s pretty much inconceivable that they would be allowed to close a significant section of it during the main tourist season June/July/August. Þingvellir National Park is s different matter as there’s enough space to go around, but not Þingvellir proper (as seen in the picture above).

66. Currer Bell
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

There has to be a compelling reason for Jon Snow to send Sam south. Gilly’s unnamed baby is safe and sending a 90 year blind Aemon on an arduous winter journey seems a rash decision. Therefore, the reason for the trip would be to save the Wildling Prince from Mel. If there’s a Wildling Prince, there needs to be a Val even if she’s only a featured extra, perhaps screaming during a delivery scene. And this birth needs to be soon so that Mance’s son can be exchanged for Gilly’s baby, so first of season 4.
    Nezzer

Thank you for the link. It was a great happy revelation.

67. Juego de Tronos
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

good news for Iceland!

68. GeekFurious
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck: I’m not 100% sure as I don’t speak Icelandic, but I’m pretty sure it’s pronounced /θiŋk/ – so essentially you’re almost correct, but they also aspirate the end (like it adds a K sound).

I’m 100% sure since 1) I speak Icelandic and 2) was born in Iceland and 3) have been to that area of the country many times. :)

69. GeekFurious
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Grrr, edit time ran out:

So, the “ing” sound is more like it is said in “ping” than in “thing.”

Your point about the double-L being pronounced like a TL sound is like 52% accurate. It is more complicated than that, though. You have to train yourself to do it. It is more a loud click than a TL sound. It is definitely NOT a T sound. The T is made by putting your tongue on the front teeth. The Icelandic double-L is said by putting the tongue on the back teeth.

70. GeekFurious
    Posted May 24, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Lou Reed: Lou Reed

Hahahahaha…. but no.

Since Icelandic is highly volatile and volcanic.

71. Skipjack
    Posted May 25, 2013 at 1:29 am | Permalink

The question of the Kettleblacks vs. ShowCersei intrigues me. She doesn’t really seem likely in fact to even have taken up with Lancel, and that scene was played rather strangely in the first season, almost like Lena and/or the show didn’t know what to do with it. If Cersei really starts sparring over her lost youth and appeal with Margaery then maybe just possibly but since she knows Jaime’s out there and escaped and we know he’s on his way back I just don’t see how the show justifies her taking anyone to her bed from a plot perspective. Frankly it would have been better now to my mind that Lancel just did in Robert out of Lannister loyalty and sheer resentment of his treatment rather than the added inducement of Cersei’s special favors. The idea above of subsituting Trant for a Kettleblack is more sensible, and yet still not all there unless they can convey some real and sudden desperate situation. I can’t remember anything in the books that would do the trick.

72. Davewalker
    Posted May 26, 2013 at 4:15 am | Permalink

Darquemode: Reach

The Reach is supposed to be a lush place with a moderately warm climate. And since it’s further south than KL it should also be sunny. I think they could film it in southern England or (since they already have a team in Dubrovnik) in Croatia.

73. Turncloak
    Posted May 26, 2013 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Davewalker,

How about u wait until season 4 to see why Iceland is being used :p

74. GeekFurious
    Posted May 26, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Davewalker: ??? The Reach is supposed to be a fertile agricultural land. That is the total opposite of Iceland. Even that photo just shows a small oasis of green in the middle of a dead-ass barren landscape.

You do know that you can shoot a portion of a scenery and not show the other parts that don’t fit what you’re trying to project, right? I mean… this is 2013.

75. Pau Soriano
    Posted May 27, 2013 at 6:42 am | Permalink

Well if they film in Þingvellir surely they will do it in the giant rift in the rock surface where the North American and European tectonic plates meet.

They told us that the vikings used to hold the Altings in between the two giant stone walls, because the acoustic properties of the stone is such that the sound echoes and a single voice can be heard a great distance by many people.

I couldn’t find a good picture where this could be seen so I’m linking a couple from my trip there ;)

76. Jentario
    Posted May 27, 2013 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano:
    Well if they film in Þingvellir surely they will do it in the giantrift in the rock surface where the North American and European tectonic plates meet.

They told us that the vikings used to hold the Altingsin between the two giant stone walls, because the acoustic properties of the stone is such that the sound echoes and a single voice can be heard a great distance by many people.

That’s cool. It also looks very Iron-Island-y to me.

77. Pau Soriano
    Posted May 27, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Jentario: That’s cool. It also looks very Iron-Island-y to me.

Thanks ;)

I tried to find the other 2 locations the article mentions ( Hengli and Þórsádal) but failed miserably, I guess we need an Icelander for that

78. Helen
    Posted May 28, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

That photo made me miss Iceland… a lot. I was lucky to go there for a while and study and it’s occupied a little space in my heart ever since. I’ve been to Thingvellir and happened to take a very similar photo. It will be very cool to watch Season 4 of Game of Thrones and be able to recognize the landscape!

79. Olafur Gardarsson
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,
    Probably Hengli is Hengill..that a mountain just east of Reykjavik, Iceland capital.

Þórsádal is likely Þjórsárdalur. Thats a valley which Þjórsá(Icelands biggest river) runs.
    Link is to images:

links failed to load..but you can google the correct names.

1. [...] had heard rumors about this, but the CEO of Pegasus, the Icelandic production company that has handled the Thrones shoot for [...]