Game of Owns: Wedding Plans, Part 2
By Winter Is Coming on in Podcast.

It’s Friday. Only two days to go! The boys of Game of Owns look ahead to what is to come on Sunday night and beyond.

Episode 104 – Wedding Plans, Part 2

iTunes | Download | RSS

Description: The boys are back this friday with the official follow up to Monday’s episode, exploring further into your submitted thoughts on what is to come, what has been, and whether or not songs require an established melody before peformance time.

Discussion Topics
The real King?
Clever reviews
The hosts sing

1. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Hodor.

Listening: Just to add, this doesn’t mean we’re visiting Dorne next season, because Oberyn comes to Kings Landing. If they cast Arianne and Doran then it would mean that. It’s the southern kingdom of Westeros.

2. GG
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

This is totally off track but I just wanted to ask you guys to see if you had any ideas: I just watched an interview with Sophie Turner where she says she sings in s3. Seeing as the Hound is no longer at court, I can’t think of a scene where she would have to sing(unless it’s some sort of weird Joffrey torture thing where she’s found out Robb & Cat are dead and he wants to revel in her misery and make her centre stage at court). I’ve read the books so spoil away :)

3. babar
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

GG,

Are you sure she wasn’t talking about S2?

4. Aegon Six
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Guys I had to turn this show off. You do not sound KNOWLEDGEABLE about this show or book series at all. Major disappointment and my intelligence was insulted.

5. Just A Random
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

This show was discussing what viewers and commenters thought may come. They can’t give out spoilers. Some are sullied, others not. Think it’s meant more to be a general discussion and I like the fan interaction.

The end of the podcast is a doozy. Bonus track.

6. Hollyoak
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Just A Random:

The end of the podcast is a doozy. Bonus track.

Is Selina on this podcast? I loves me some Selina. Or Selena. Or however you spell her name.

Aegon, what are yo talking about?

7. Just A Random
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

Nope, just the boys. I’ll assume selina was doing something swedish. Or danish. Or hypable

8. Hollyoak
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Just A Random:
    Hollyoak,

I think I’ll check out some of her others shows on Hypable, too. I think she does The Vampire Diaries? Dumb show but I like it and it’s mindless fun.

9. jasonw
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

about micah and spoilers

what makes me mad is what happens in ep 9 is supposed to come as a huge shock. but micah cant keep his mouth shut his mouth about it. “o its going to change your life…biggest shocker since ned’s death”. dude stop. i really tell my non book readers to not listen…

10. Lars
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Ok…. So you get lots of complaints about how much talk there is about the RW. So what do you do? Start the podcast and talk about it more!!?!?!?

Is it possible to be more tone-deaf?

Stop hyping the @&^%&*#$ RW. It won’t be more momentous than S1 Ep9. It just won’t. Stop it. Stop selling it as the biggest thing ever, it won’t be. Ned’s death was far more important and influential in “changing the game”.

And about SAM & THE DAGGER. Am I the only one who watched the (apparent) alternate universe version of the show where Sam found a bag-ful of these daggers??? It must be, because noone else seems to have noticed this obvious detail.

11. Lars
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Another note:
    Someone mentions at some point that the Targaryens are “meant” to rule Westeros. If you think so, I think you have missed a central theme of the books and show. No-one is meant to rule… Families and dynasties rule by force. Might makes right. And there were kings in all of the seven kingdoms before the Targaryen invasion.

Or to quote Vary’s directly: “Power resides where men believe it resides; it’s a trick, a shadow on the wall”

12. GG
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

babar,

No it was def season 3. It was a discussion among all the cast on the hardest thing for them to do in s3. For Sophie, it was singing in front of so many people she didn’t know.

13. zaprowsdower
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

We do see someone go to Dorne. Myrcella. We just don’t see Dorne itself. It’s the southern most part of Westeros so it wouldn’t really make sense for Robb to stroll through…

14. Rhys
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Stannis would be a WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY better king than Renly. Stannis has all the qualities necessary to be a good king.

On the line of succession: IIRC, Robert claimed the throne not on rite of conquest but by rite of succession. With Aerys, Rhaegar and Aegon (Rhaegar’s son) dead and Viserys fled, Robert was the rightful king even in Targaryen lineage as his paternal grandmother, Rhaelle, was Aerys’s aunt.

15. outdoorcats
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Oh, guys…Dorne is one of the seven kingdoms. Micah really needs to re-read the books. :)

16. gisizzlah
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Lol…… I hope eric gets the rains of castamere right before Monday….

17. coronaking
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 12:57 am | Permalink

Magmar does indeed evolve. :p (To Magmortar.)

18. Mar
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 1:21 am | Permalink

An excellent way to end the podcast!! I love you guys, you’re so funny and I really appreciate your regularity. I can only imagine how hard it can be recording 3 episodes every week, especially this one.

About this next episode I think the best is try to not have high expectations and be VERY aware of spoilers, in my case I was spoiled about the upcoming events while I was reading the books which really ruined my experience with the third book.

19. Suzaku
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 5:56 am | Permalink

Rhys:

Yes, thank you! I was listening to some of their old book 1 reading podcasts and they completely missed that important detail. I wanted to bring it up but the podcast was really old, so I’m glad it came up again in this episode.

Robert Baratheon’s paternal grandmother was a Targaryen, and Stannis is Dany’s second cousin.

And yeah, Dorne is part of the Seven Kingdoms. It’s a large, arid peninsula directly south of King’s Landing, seperated from the neighboring kingdoms by a mountain range.

It’s pretty important to the history of the series; it’s where Rhaegar Targaryen hid Lyanna Stark, the place where Jon was allegedly fathered during Robert’s Rebellion, and where Ned’s life was saved by Howland Reed (Meera and Jojen’s father).

Their ruling house, the Martells, are descendants of Nymeria (who Arya named her direwolf after). The Red Viper, Prince Oberyn Martell, was Rhaegar Targaryen’s brother-in-law.

20. Chibarin
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I’ve gotta agree with people saying Stannis would have made a better king. He’s not one of my favourite characters, and he has some serious flaws he needs to sort out before I could say he would be a good king, like burning criminals (a form of torture), being too rigid in his values and laws, and of course listening to Melisandre (he needs to get rid of her asap and only listen to Davos’s counsel).

But he has definitely more kingly traits than Renly does. He absolutely believes in Justice and laws (a good act doesn’t wash out the bad, nor the bad the good, each has its own reward). He puts the need of the realm above his personal desires, he is fighting to be king because of the laws he is so loyal to, he is the next in line (though that may be subjective, imo the show is showing him out to be more on the villain side than gray). He is not honorable yes, but we know what being so honorable gets people in this world. Finally he doesn’t care much for class differences, Davos was a smuggler from Flea Bottom but he doesn’t mind that and values his opinion, even going as far as to name him Hand when he becomes king. Oh, and he gelds rapists in his army.

Renly always came off as too arrogant to me. Especially in the books, he likes to boast about his so-called “traits”, he believes he would be a better king than his brother. He says that out loud too much, instead of letting us hear it from other people. He is too carefree and had he ruled, he’d have spend way too much time getting drunk in tournaments and having fun, and leaving his council to rule just like Robert did because he doesn’t care all that much. He was rude about Shireen, insulting his niece in front of his own brother. The poor sick girl probably thinks nothing bad about her uncle. He talked badly about Brienne to Loras privately, while to her face he acts all gallant (Loras mentions it in an ASoS chapter I think). She is unaware and doesn’t think badly of him too, in fact she idealizes him and has a crush on him. The worst of all, he didn’t believe his brother when he told him about Cersei’s children being bastards and that she was sleeping with her twin brother. Renly thought that was a made-up lie so Stannis would have legitimate reason to depose the king and become one himself. So he thought he’d declare himself king too because in his mind his brother doesn’t have a legitimate claim to the throne either, instead of supporting him because as I said, he’s an arrogant showoff.

21. Micah
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 8:38 am | Permalink

jasonw,

Jason, for you and others who have touched on the RW. There is no possible way we can lead up to this episode and not discuss it. I’ve never said where it is, I never said who it involves and I never said what happens. And it’s been a running theme on this show that both Selina and myself have teased Zack and Eric about this event. We’re just having some fun with it. And after Sunday, everyone will be in the know, so you don’t have to worry about that moving forward.

22. Rhys
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Micah:
    jasonw,

But when they see Edmure and Roslin standing up there, the unsullied will have a fairly good idea or that one or both of Robb or Catelyn are about to die, given the magnitude of the hype.

I doubt the hype will make anyone watching disappointed but I’m just saying they will probably be able to predict it. Even Eric said something about that on the podcast.

23. Micah
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Rhys,

its definitely something to be mindful of in the future. Can definitely tone it down. Bottomline, we’re just all trying to have fun. That’s what GOO is about. We know we’re not perfect, but that’s the great part of coming on these threads and seeing the feedback from you guys.

24. jasonw
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Micah,

except that there was a one second clip of that wedding in the trailer for this weeks episode. People might have heard a “red wedding” is coming but they dont know when. After the wedding people will know it is a big deal, but there are so many other story lines you could be talking about to not play up “THE BIGGEST THING SINCE NED DIES”.

How is Rob’s attack on Casterly Rock going to go, will that be this season or next (i know this wont happen but the show is setting this up).

or any thing else except talking about the Frey Tully wedding.

And i wont have to worry about it until next season with joffy wedding “o you thought the Red Wedding was bad just wait for this one…” or the fight at the wall ” could you think of anyone would might come and save them.. any one”

i listened to mugglecast for years so it was great to hear you and eric talking about another series i liked. you just kill me with the way you drop hints.

25. Critical Geek
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I just want to put this out early now…Daniel Radcliffe for Quentin Martell

26. Spryte
    Posted June 2, 2013 at 1:03 am | Permalink

jasonw,

Blah, you’re repeating yourself. Let it go. Your feedback was taken graciously, and these guys wouldn’t be rude enough to say you’re just being a whiny prick now. You could always just make your own podcast!

But cheers to the GOO crew, your podcasts are definitely growing on me! I bet more people would listen if they knew two of you were Unsullied. People here worship Unsullied opinions.

27. dragonreborn
    Posted June 2, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I was waiting for this episode for years but I won’t watch it.
    No one will watch game of thrones this week in Turkey.
    Everyone is on the streets rebelling against the repressive islamic government.
    follow the news in tweeter #direngeziparki

sorry for the off-topic message but our prime minister is far more cruel then jeoffrey and ramsay combined! the police kills innocent people, kings guard is more merciful.

Spoiler here:
    We won’t let them cut down the trees in gezi parki to make a shopping mall there.

28. queenofthorns
    Posted June 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Great show boys! Please ignore the idiots who say you’re not “knowledgable” because you haven’t memorized every location on Westeros. You are awesome and I love that your podcast is more free-flowing and spontaneous than the usual discussion of teh show. Keep on keeping on, and let’s all enjoy tonight’s episode!

Rant incoming…

Holy crap, you Stannis fans are so tiresome. I love him too but his actions show he is hardly the God you all make him out to be. His inability to make friends and inspire loyalty – essential in politics – would make his reign as king tenuous at best In my ideal world – partly with a sense of schadenfrude becuase I know how much Stannis fans loathe Dany – Stannis and Daenerys would unite the two Targ lineages and rule together (and maybe toss in YoungGriff for the Blackfyres, too).

By the way it’s utterly ridiculous to say that Stannis is the rightful heir to the Targ lineage when literally everyone’s actions in the books and the show makes it clear that they believe Daenerys is Aerys’ heir, NOT Robert/Stannis/Joffery. Power resides where men believe it resides.

Also, yes, I do know the book knowledge (from Dunk and Egg) that supposedly women can’t sit the Iron Throne because of what happened during the Dance of the Dragons. But all that really established is that sisters cannot inherit over their brothers or other direct male descendents, even if they are older. It’s never come up again because there has always been a direct male heir. The Robert/Stannis situation has never come up as they are not direct male heirs, but rather would be inheriting through a female line. Actually if what I already said doesn’t put this nonsense to rest, a woman was once considered for the throne, over Aegon the unlikely, but rejected only due to her “feebleminded-ness” and the fact that she was a child…

29. Juego de Tronos