Episode 29 – The Rains of Castamere – Newbie Recap
By Winter Is Coming on in Recap.

Roose and Catelyn

The newbie recap you have been waiting for is here. Oz of Thrones tries to collect his thoughts after watching last night’s episode of Game of Thrones. Read his recap, after the break.

Spoiler note: The discussion in this post is primarily for non-book readers (book fans can discuss the show here). We ask all the series veterans to refrain from posting spoilers in the comments here, veiled or otherwise. This show is best viewed without knowing all the surprises beforehand, so please be respectful of your fellow fans. Thank you!

Oz of Thrones:  Silence.

For a while, I just sat there.  I stared at my outdated 60” Sony like there was something else coming on.  House Oz was eerily quiet.  No credit music blaring at the end, or the customary quick discussion with Ozzette about the great scenes or locations depicted, or the anticipation of viewing the next weeks’ preview.  I didn’t care.  I just sat there for a long, long time.

The show (and I assume the books) sets itself apart in a number of ways.  One aspect that I mention on a regular basis is character development.  The characters aren’t just faces on a screen with dialogue.  The viewers have an investment in them.  We know Robb’s story.  We know Cat’s story.  We have suffered with them and laughed with them and have gotten to know them on a very personal basis.

Normally, this is better achieved in written text.  Novels provide a deeper background with a richer detail than television or movie adaptations are capable of doing.  Yet somehow, D&D manage to pull it off and the end result can shock you to your core, especially when the tragic death of beloved characters transpires in such a dramatic fashion.

The signs were there.  We had all discussed it before.  The Frey deal was going down too easy.  The consequences of Robb’s decision to break his vow to Frey was to be forgiven in exchange for Edmure’s hand to a Frey daughter.  Edmure?  Really?  And all is well?  If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.  And it was.

Yet, if someone would have told me two weeks ago that there would be a tragic, murderous event at one of the five weddings planned and then had me guess which one it would be, the last one I likely would have picked would have been Edmure’s.  Why?  Because who would attack the marriage of Edmure and the Frey girl?  The Lannisters?  Possibly.  But they would have had to hear about the wedding, assemble an army, march to the Twins, and get there in time to stop the deal from going through.  Even in a land of dragons and sorcery, that would have been highly unlikely.

Again, the signs were there……..

Bolton.  “The Lannister’s send their regards.”  Apparently Lord Bolton has been plotting the entire time and making sure that his allegiance to the Lions is not in question.  If I have this straight, it appears that Bolton made a deal with Walder Frey and married a Frey daughter himself which solidified an agreement between he and Walder before the Edmure deal could go down.  Then again, he may have just done it for money.  In either case, Bolton’s decision to send Jaime on to King’s Landing looks a hell of a lot more understandable.  And as Ozzette pointed out to me, the “burning of Winterfell” mystery is a lot clearer now.

But Bolton’s actions alone weren’t the only cause for the shock.  The amazing set-up on screen made the end result much more shocking in the end.  The “everything is going smoothly” feeling that the episode gave us was nothing short of genius.  They accomplished this with numerous small details including: the apology from Robb to Walder and his daughters and granddaughters; the hospitality offered by Frey (food, music, etc.);  the happiness that Edmure showed when finally seeing his bride; the “not bad” look that Walder passes to Robb after the reveal of the bride;  the other Frey women checking out the Blackfish (hilarious); and the party that followed the vows and the cloaking.  Indeed, all signs were that the occasion was going through without a hitch.  Robb and Talisa even discussed naming the unborn child Eddard if it is was a boy.

It was not to be.  The doors closed and the music hit.  Robb. Cat. Talisa. The unborn child.

You can erase everything I have written thus far and simply replace it with this (and please excuse my language)…….. Holy Shit.

To make it all incredibly worse was the fact that Arya was right there.  Right outside.  Ready to reunite.  If it is true that what does not kill you makes you stronger, then Arya stands to become the toughest woman the Seven Kingdoms has ever seen.  I am very happy she is with the Hound (did I just say that?).

There were some other important occurrences in the Episode:

Jon Snow:  I haven’t checked on all of my unlikely predictions to see how many of them have been shredded, but I was correct on Jon Snow and the fact that he had to make a choice.  Jon is faced with beheading a farmer to show his loyalty and can’t go through with it.  An intense fight scene ensues and Jon kills Orell while telling Orell that he was right the whole time about him being a crow.  This decision was somewhat surprising to me considering the relationship between he and Ygritte.  But this scene made it clear that Jon’s loyalty to the Night’s Watch was never in question, at least in his mind.

Bran:  Bran is forced into practicing being a warg as a direwolf in the fight with the Wildlings, but not before he wargs into the mind of another human.  According to Jojen, this is something that no one else has ever been known to do.  Bran and Rickon split up for safety purposes as Bran is still planning to go beyond the wall to find the three-eyed raven.

Hodor:  We learn that Hodor is very similar to my cat as neither one of them like thunderstorms.

Yunkai:  DaaBio and Jorah devise a plan to get in the city walls of Yunkai.  They and Grey Worm encounter more resistance than expected, but return with news that the City had surrendered.  This portion of the episode seemed a little abrupt.  In the last scene inside the walls, the three were surrounded.  Yet, when they reappear in front of Dany, they claimed that the soldiers laid down their spears and that the City was hers.  On a side note, Grey Worm was a total badass in the battle scene.

And finally, Sam and Gilly have made it to the wall.

Episode 309 Personal Awards
A man usually posts favorite scenes, quotes, and silly awards in this area.  But today is different.
Best Actress:  Michelle Fairley as “Catelyn Stark”.  Her work as Cat this season is award worthy.
Director:  David Nutter.  Just outstanding.
Writers: D&D.  Amazing work, Gentlemen.

Overall Thoughts: The tradition of the Epic 9’s carries on.  I will never forget Ned.  I will never forget Blackwater.  And now I will never forget the Wedding.

A man is thankful that I currently do not have any weddings that I am scheduled to attend, as I would seriously reconsider attending after last night.  I need to wrap my head around everything that happened again, and will cover what may be the aftermath on Friday with Looking Forward Ep. 30.

Please excuse me as I retreat into a dark, cold room wearing nothing but underwear with a bowl of Bon Bons and a pack of cigarettes.  We all mourn in different ways.

Until Friday, try to have a great week.  And if you go to a wedding and James Bond Bolton is there, do yourself a favor and leave.  Immediately.

May there be peace in your realm.  -Oz

1. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 10:52 am | Permalink

They killed my boy Robb! How you gonna kill of your main guy that has a chance at taking the capital? I spent the whole episode thinking “hey, Lord Frey is being a lot nicer than he was in season one” because I didn’t even think about Robb mentioning dying like Ned while I was watching episode nine of this season.

2. Magnar of Thenn
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Hodor Hodor

3. Turncloak
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Could not sleep last night

4. Jon
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Salutations Unsullied :). Oh and Michelle was Amazing.

5. wargsareawesome
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

And now you know what us Sullied have been so excited about…

6. Hodor is Coming
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

This show provides a great business plan , kill off main characters….renegotiate contracts with remaining regulars…?????…..Profit?

Bad Luck Cat Stark had it coming, nothing good EVER happened to this lady

7. Andy Gavin
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

This is a dark dark episode, probably the darkest yet. The Jon/Bran and Robb/Cat segments were largely successful, brilliant even, particularly the Red Wedding, but Dany’s didn’t do it for me. It just felt truncated and offscreen. Still, that doesn’t matter so much, because it’s the wedding we came for. Really well done, perhaps even more emotionally wrenching than in the books as the show went to considerable (and successful) effort to build up Robb and Talisa’s character’s. As always, my detailed thoughts on the episode can be found on my blog.

8. Heuvelman
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

I’ve read the books, and i was shocked. I just watched this epsiode, and again I was shocked. They really nailed it.

After the episode, i did not know what to do. I just staired at a black screen filled with white letters as everything was quiet.

9. Red Viper
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

My sister’s reaction to this week’s GoT episode:
    “Please tell me someone is dreaming this.”

10. Cary Storm
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

My unsullied spouse’s reaction: “Oh my God! That was pretty brutal!”

11. The Rabbit
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

To OZ: (

Now, you are old enough to be introduced to the term: THE RED WEDDING.

Hopefully you ll use it from now on – to the end of your days!

12. James
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

I felt sorry for you when I read your prediction last week.
    This must have been a shock for all unsullied,
    just remember, it gets better! sort of…

13. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Hey book readers, you still need to be careful when commenting in this post- many things about the Wedding regarding plotting, etc, have not been revealed since the story this week ended with Cat’s death. Please use your usual caution when commenting. Thanks!

14. MRR
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Brightroar,

I’m pretty sure this thread is meant for non-readers, and that sounds an awful lot like book-reader talk to me.

(Seems I was not alone in my thoughts, as the post I was referring to has since been deleted!)

15. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I am so upset.
    That was traumatizing. I am still thinking about it today like I know these people. :(

16. Zack
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

And now you Unsullied are as Sullied as the rest of us for the Big Thing that everyone remembers best about the books. Welcome to the club. Here’s some tissues :)

17. Werd
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Ha, the Atlantic’s newbie recapper said he had the same reaction: SILENCE. Though their book-reader one was sort of disappointed I guess? http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/06/was-i-game-of-thrones-i-crazy-bloody-showdown-underwhelming/276445/

18. mellowjohn
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

when the door closed, michelle fairley’s expression was a payoff of the same look she had when robb was declared king in the north: “we are so fucked!”

19. Hounded
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Did any of you Unsullied see that coming???
    Us book readers sure didn’t when reading the books.

20. John G.
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Book readers, just don’t comment here. I want to read the unsullied comments without having to navigate through all of us. These posts are separated for a reason. The non-reader posts can be really fun for us to read but let’s just keep our thoughts to ourselves, enjoy hearing from them, and let them enjoy the show as a show.

21. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Hounded,

I had a great feeling Robb was going to die. But like that? No fucking way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was brutal. The last moment – when he said “Mother” and they looked at each other and then BOLTON that #$%^&*()(*&^ finished robb off. I CANT!!!!!!!!!!!

THe playing of rains of castamere. EPIC

22. Viola
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

It’s funny, I genuinely thought I was prepared for it because I knew what was coming. Seeing it on screen is a completely different experience. Heartbreaking.

But, Oz, I will thank you for the laugh about Hodor. I now have a great image of Hodor as a cat.

23. SHJH
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

have been listening to “the Rains of Castamere” the whole day

24. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Oh, and after the previous episode I said that Jon and Bran were close enough that if Bran sneezes Jon should be able to hear it. In this episode Jon would have felt the about land on him because Bran doesn’t have any tissue. Too bad Jon didn’t notice one of the only direwolves south of the wall saved his life. That’s just too much take considering Arya finally made it to her family just in time for them to be gone for good… I bet the Hound regrets what he said earlier.

25. Liz B.
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Oz, welcome to the unhappy (and yet somehow thrilling – come on! Don’t we love being just freaked out?) knowledge that hopefully no one ruined for the non-readers.

As an aside, props to those of you who have remained non-readers for 3 seasons! I could never have done that!

26. Rad1999
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

It was a long two weeks, really two years, and I knew what was coming but I’m glad it aired the day after my nieces wedding and not the week before.

27. Charlotte
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

This is my first comment here..I’m an italian unsullied and I’m in shock. Here there are people that can understand me! I patiently wait every week to see the new episode but this one..no please..come on! I was so happy for Rob and the future baby. Probably the idea of Ned as baby’s name wasn’t that lucky..

28. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I wonder what happened behind the battle of Yunkai.
    Do you unsullied trust Dario??? (I am unsullied also)
    I don’t think he would hurt Dany.. but he seems fishy??

29. Just A Random
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Great and tragic (or tragic and great) episode. My guess as to what would happen was way off.

I hate Bolton. I need a death list like Arya. Even his house sigil is crazy. It’s clear that guy loves money, and apparently the Lannisters. It was a little biblical, marrying a woman for her weight in silver. He got his silver just like Judas.

I’m still trying to process what just happened. House Stark is in ruins, Jon pissed off / left Ygritte (I’m Team Ygritte btw), Sam as a “wizard” and Bran owned Hodor’s mind. I mean what the hell just happened.

2 main characters die after starting the episode with optimism and a plan. This whole episode was full of hope until the last 10 minutes.

One final thought, I really don’t like stupid good looking charming desert Fabio. You keep your mitts off Jorahs possible woman.

30. We do not Hodor
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I have a question for the Unsullied and the show’s explanation of “Guest’s Right”. How clear is that concept to you (Unsullied)? Has the show done a good enough job explaining that? I feel like it hasn’t which adds depth to the scenes at Craster’s Keep and the RW. This is above “kinslayer” in the pantheon of heinous acts. Curious for your responses. Your reactions are what I have been waiting for! Hugs all around. :)

31. robinsmum
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Amazing read, thank you Oz. As a Sullied I always appreciate the thoughts of the Unsullied…my own were very similar. When I read this scene I threw the book across the living-room before spending a few moments in silence.
    One episode to go and then a year to recover…that´s awful isn´t it :)

32. Brightroar
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

MRR,

Myyyyyy bad. Roose is a cunning sunvabitch that is all

33. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

gosensgo:
    Hounded,

THe playing of rains of castamere. EPIC

Exactly! I knew Robb wouldn’t last too much longer. He had no plan for what to do after killing Joffrey, and now all this talk of taking the Lannister’s home seemed suicidal. But to be killed at the Twins, surrounded by people who had been his allies?

And after all of that, Frey was unscratched. And Bolton is all set to be the new ruler of the North. What will Jon and Sansa do? Will Arya and the found decide to go to The Wall just in time to see the biggest fire in the North? Argh!

34. Nickie Michaud Wild
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I thought the same thing about my cat and Hodor as well.

I knew something was up when Bran told Rickon he had to be kept safe because he was the heir to Winterfell. Bran being paralyzed would not be able to have children presumably. But I was like, what about Robb? It was some good foreshadowing.

35. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I hope episode 10 is big… like a lannister (NOT tyrion) dies, but I may be asking for too much. :(

36. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

Exactly

37. Alex
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

What confused me in this episode is why exactly did Walder Frey killed Robb. I know that Frey was very upset about Robb breaking his oath and not marrying one of his daughters; but were the Lannisters responsible at all in this plot to kill Robb?

I have a feeling like Tywin Lannister had a major hand in all of this…

38. Turncloak
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Don’t understand some of the hate Jon is getting:
    1) He refuses to kill an innocent man
    2) fights back when the wildlings try to kill him
    3) pushes Ygritte so she won’t have to kill one of her own
    4) runs away to again avoid being killed.

What he do wrong?

39. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Also – WHERE ARE THE WHITE WALKERS AND WHERE IS MANCE RAYDER. the WW story is moving very slow??? IS it just me?

I cant wait till the Lannisters realize winter and fire are coming their way! OMG I cant wait till next year.

im all over the place – this is how I mourn

40. gisizzlah
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

My unsullied sister screams “Please tell me that the lannisters get theirs!! Please!! or else im not watching this show anymore!!”

I say to them like I said to my sister…. KEEP WATCHING!

41. pntrlqst
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Maybe I’m a puss, but I couldn’t fall asleep until 3am and now I’m awake at 8:30am and my eyes are moist. I’m sullied and knew this was coming, but I have been surprisingly affected (traumatized) by last night’s events. Mostly, it was Talisa. She did not deserve that. That was just cruel and heartbreaking.

42. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Alex,

Twyin was behind this for sure – when the doors closed, music of house lanniser “the rains of castamere” was playing, and then when Bolton finished off Robb – he told him “The Lannisters send their regards”

Enough to show you who was behind this? LOL

43. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

gosensgo,

I doubt any of us trust Desert Fabio. A huge flirt that kills his long time companions to serve the smallest khalasar in the world just isn’t believable. I just hope he isn’t a warlock.

44. Roopert
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I know many of you likely don’t watch The View but I recommend watching the second segment of the host chat segment today. Whoopi is apparently unsullied and addicted to the show – pretty funny :-) (of course they turn it in to a bit of a chat about violence in films, etc).

45. Vikas
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Magnar of Thenn,

Hodor !

46. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

I will hope so too.
    I have accepted the fact the Starks are UNLUCKY
    BUT I WILL REFUSE TO ACCEPT anything to happen to Dany, Her Dragons, or Jorah.

47. Lancel Sandwich
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I watched with two Unsullied, and our reactions were the same. Complete shock and silence. I think it was worse for me as I knew it was coming. Even my wife who asks a million questions was silent until after the credits, which in a brilliant move-were silent. I am in awe of this show. Best hour of television I have ever seen.

48. Alester Sarwick
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Hodor Holy Shit!

49. WinterQueene
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

My Unsullied housemate said “so that was a dream sequence, right?”

And then when I reluctantly told her that no, it wasn’t a bad dream, she said “I feel dirty. I kind of wish I’d stopped watching before this so that I wouldn’t have had to see that. It was so… unnecessary.” And just rocked back and forth.

But fear not, I have persuaded her to continue watching, the ranks of loyal viewers shall not be thinned on my watch!

50. MUGger
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Werd,

HAH! That discussion is nothing next to the nerd rage over at Westeros — they’re all acting like Hodors in a thunderstorm (but don’t look at it if you are determined to remain unsullied).

51. Deme
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Nickie Michaud Wild:
    I thought the same thing about my cat and Hodor as well.

Hope this isn’t spoilery, just for clarification…since Robb was King in the North, Bran would be the Lord of Winterfell. Robb couldn’t be both. Thus Rickon is Bran’s heir.

52. Richard
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

(non-book reader) Unfortunately I was spoiled a little about the RW by researching some characters to help me flesh them out a bit as I watched Seasons 1 & 2. I knew only that Robb/Cat died, but not by who or how. But I was still blown away by it all and had that stunned feeling for most of the night.

I have a friend who I compare notes with over GoT since the beginning, he texted me that he thought the episode was “dumb”, that they (Starks) were stupid for going there (The Twins), that Jon Snow “will be back” for Ygritte and that Rickon was sent away to keep him safe in the event that Rob and Bran died. Oh, and he wondered if Edmund Tully was alive/dead. Those were his big concerns over everything else. Guess he wasn’t as emotionally invested and blown away… /facepalm

53. Richard
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Oh, someone on another forun made the joke of “Poor Hodor, when he wakes up he’ll notice Rickon, Osha and Shaggydogg are gone and he never got to say goodbye.”

54. Just A Random
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

The guests right wasn’t clear to me at all until I read the interview with GRRM. I just thought it was a custom or house Frey thing since I don’t recall seeing it before.

We do not Hodor,

55. arolig
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink
  56. Marco
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I’m not a reader, but I had some A-hole spoil this as a website comment back after Ned’s death. So I’ve know for a while. That being said…I knew it was coming and yet it was still shocking.

57. zaprowsdower
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Richard,

I always feel bad when unsullied get spoiled due to innocent wiki research. It happened to a friend of mine as well and I advise all of my unsullied friends to avoid!

58. john
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

The North Remembers…

59. Sh4rp3
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Love reading the unsullied reactions, watching the episode tonight with my unsullied, younger brother, I really can’t wait to see his face, he has no idea!

60. Richard
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

This is interesting… it’s almost like Jon is in the same situation as Theon was last Season (choosing between two sides and any choice he makes ends up wrong), hopefully Jon comes out of it better. I have no idea who to root for, I’m for The Wildings’ ideals of freedom and no Highborn nonsense, but I don’t believe their plan is going to work (taking over Westeros) because of the sheer size of it and multiple kingdoms. I’m for Jon Snow because he’s trying to do the right thing, but we know where that got Ned, plus the Night Watch is pretty much extinct at this point, so what exactly is he being loyal to? (besides Ned’s values)

Turncloak:
    Don’t understand some of the hate Jon is getting:
    1) He refuses to kill an innocent man
    2) fights back when the wildlings try to kill him
    3) pushes Ygritte so she won’t have to kill one of her own
    4) runs away to again avoid being killed.

What he do wrong?

61. Marco
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

That last time I felt this way was when I was a little kid and watched “The Transformers: The Movie”, and got to see all my toys, that I had invested my allowance in, destroyed, just so Hasbro could sell new toys.

62. jkb
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

arolig:
    Highlight! :D

ahahahah awesome.

63. Richard
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Yeah whoever put together the Wiki of Fire/Ice probably didn’t plan on the TV show happening, as they should have kept major events of the characters life out of the first couple sentences of their description. For instance, back in 2011, under Eddard Stark, the second sentence of the entire entry mentioned he died by his own blade, Ice, etc. But going back to that page now, it looks like they reformatted it, pushing the spoilers down a bit. I was just looking for overviews and past histories of the characters, not what was going to happen to them during the time of the books.

zaprowsdower:
    Richard,

64. We do not Hodor
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Just A Random,

See, I am sorry to hear that. It is a super important concept and one that could have been aided by just a couple of lines of dialogue before hand. This wasn’t just murder at a wedding, this was breaking a holy and sacred pact. The eating of bread is meant to be a sign of “ok, now they are safe”. That moment that relieves so much of the tension that you let your guard down for what happens next. I was tense the whole episode, but I knew what was coming. :)

65. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I’m just feeling gutted, totally gutted.

All 3 unsullied I was watching with shed at least one tear, screamed, gnashed teeth, yelled at me for not warning them.

I just sat there with tears streaming down my face. I couldn’t sleep for hours.

TV that evokes those emotions is a rare, rare thing.

As to all of the people who are swearing off GoT and cancelling their HBO subscriptions, they all sound a lot like my 3 year old when he doesn’t get ice cream for breakfast or I don’t let him get to play with the steak knives. I can almost see them stomping around, threatening to run away from home on their short, chubby little legs.

66. Seriano
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Red Viper,

Heh. I have an Unsullied friend who usually texts me during the episodes and I have always loved to see her reactions to the show.

But last night was different. She liked the Jon/Bran part and loved Jorah, as always. But everytime Walder Frey popped up in the screen, she said something like “this fucker is gonna do something bad”.

When the doors were closed and “The Rains” kicked in, she panicked. When the slaughter began, all she could type was some disjointed sentences, all caps: “NOOOO”, “C’MON, THAT ISN’T HAPPENING”, “WTF”, etc. When the episode ended, she wrote “That’s all a dream, right? Or some vision in the flames, maybe. Right? RIGHT?”

I think that’s the strongest reaction I ever got from a TV show or a movie.

67. Arristan The Old
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

gisizzlah: I heard a bunch of unsullied ppl want the cancel their HBO subscription after last night…

They are actually full out *promising* to cancel their subscriptions, and they truly believe they’ll actually do it.

But they’re wrong. They will all be tuning in next Sunday.

It’s the first timer’s circle of life, whether you’re a reader or a show-watcher: You get to the Red Wedding, you throw your book/remote across the room, you swear off the series forever, you come back a week later. It is known.

68. Joey DC
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I am SO shocked about “The Rains of Castamere,” I just can’t and don’t want to believe it!!! I can’t even bring myself to rate it…

No more Robb Stark. This really breaks my heart because I started to fall in love with him. The chemistry he shared with his wife was absolutely mind-blowing and then they both get killed. Not to mention the excellent performances by both actors. I’m so sad and disappointed about this turn of events. I honestly couldn’t care less about Catelyn, I couldn’t stand her from the beginning and her death doesn’t get to me at all.

I loved all the Jon Snow moments, they were beyond fantastic but I can’t get over the fact what happened at the end. I have never felt so affected by an episode and wanting to quit watching it altogether :(

There are indeed no happy ends when it comes to “Game of Thrones.”

69. MeroVFX
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I’m only reading the second book so that makes me a Unsullied, but i did see that one coming because the Lord of Light is the one true god, and the 3 leeches were supposed to kill the 3 usurpers so….
    i was a little bit disapointed with this episode for not watching Theon get tortured again… i just can’t have enough!

70. JP Dayne
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I came here for tears of rage and frustration, and I’m not satisfied :(

71. Targaryen
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Poor Robb, the only disputed king without a Kingsguard. Even Dany, Renly, Joffrey and Robert had one. Well Stannis didn’t either… So two guys then.

Robb really did it to himself. His mother pleaded with him that Walter Frey was a “dangerous man” and he didn’t listen to his mother and violated a pledge that he made during war. Frey really stuck his head out for him and could have been killed by the Lannister/Baratheon houses for his treason, and Robb only comes back when he needs him again. Catelyn reacts too slowly. She knows what kind of man he is. She sees the door shut, the band playing louder and the armor concealed from Bolton. She should have told the Starks to stand (even if it did offend them) instead of slapping Bolton and yelling Robb.

Now what’s going to happen with poor Sansa? Tywin wanted Tyrion to put a kid in her ASAP. We know that Robb isn’t going to kill his nephew/neice or his sister’s husband. Now since the Starks really don’t have a kingdom, the army is dissolved, and Robb dead, do they really need Sansa now. She better get knocked up.

So is Dany going to fall in love with Arnold Schwartzeneggar Lite? I could see that happening and will Mormont (sp?) try to off him for getting her eye.

72. Nadine
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I laughed about the “James Bond Bolton”, because the Bolton actor also reminds me of Daniel Craig every time I see him :DD

73. zaprowsdower
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Nickie Michaud Wild,
    Deme,

Also, I’m assuming Bran named Rickon his heir because he currently doesn’t have children being a child himself. Not because he thinks he never can.

74. vlad
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Yeah, a great episode… but I am a little disappointed they went for the shock value, and for actual value. The way Talisa died was… horrible, I don’t think I’ll be able to get that image out of my mind.

75. Josla
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

zaprowsdower:
    Nickie Michaud Wild,
    Deme,

I hope its not foreshadow that he’s going to die as well.

76. Jeff
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

zaprowsdower,

Use the Tower of the Hand for research. You can select how many books you’ve read and episodes you’ve seen.

77. Unbowed
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

zaprowsdower:
    Nickie Michaud Wild,
    Deme,

I believe he said something along the lines of “Robb is at war and I’m going north of the Wall, if anything happens to us, you’re the heir of Winterfell”
    It’s more that Bran knows he’s putting himself in danger and would rather not put his little brother in that same danger.

78. Targaryen
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Question for an unsullied. I see someone said they were listening to the “Rains of Castemere”. Is this something I missed on the significance?

79. Renato
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I believe that, oddly, Arya was as safe as she could with Clegane.

80. Just A Random
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

vlad:

Pretty gruesome and fits with some of the commentary re: Theon. When is it self indulgent?

In GRRM’s interview he said he was inspired by real historical events and basically no matter what there have always been people doing terrible things to each other.

The Lannisters are dominating the Game of Thrones. The TV series, so far, could have just been called “The Lannisters Win Everything”.

81. Chris
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Hope I’m not intruding too much, being a book reader, but I wish more was made of the significance of the bread and salt (I’m pretty sure that was supposed to be salt) passed around by the Freys. Remember, Cat explicitly asked for some back in her first meeting with Walder.
    It establishes “Guest Right,” the unequivocal principal that as a guest in someone’s home you are entitled to the host’s hospitality and protection. After Robb, Cat and party partook of bread and salt with Walder, the kind of stuff that followed at the Red Wedding was NEVER supposed to happen. It was a fundamental violation, that was supposed to be unthinkable. That’s why the Freys’ betrayal was so outrageous and shocking.
    If the Freey army had descended on Robb’s the moment they got to the Twins, that would have been one thing.
    But under Walder’s roof, after they’d clearly and explicitly established that the Starks were supposed to be protected by Guest Right?
    Inconceivable!
    Was that clear enough to those who haven’t read the books?

82. dmf
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

“We learn that Hodor is very similar to my cat as neither one of them like thunderstorms”

Love that line!

83. cdb
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Same, I slept fitfully. Robb last word “Mother”. Awoke early this AM remembering the horror!

84. zaprowsdower
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

NVM

85. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I think my dog needs to be renamed Hodor because she does the same thing in thunderstorms. And when she howls, it does sound a little like “Hodooooooooor!”

86. Hounded
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

I always found Roose Bolton very unsettling in the books. The atmosphere just bubbles with tension when he’s around. Looking forward to seeing the actor (who I think is fantastic) get to play more of his dark (true) self now!

87. Unbowed
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Targaryen,

Cersei explained the meaning of the song to Margaery at Tyrion’s wedding. The song is about House Reyne of Castamere, the family used to be bannermen to the Lannisters and were almost as wealthy. House Reyne rebelled and when Tywin defeated them he had the entire family slaughtered.

88. RichMan
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

This episode really pulled at peoples emotions.
    Love it or hate it, it was powerful.

Think it will lead to any awards?

Now people can understand why Michelle Fairley was nominated for an award this season.

89. greg
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I don’t have anything to say. I can’t stop thinking about it

90. Mother of Ozlings
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

As I sat beside Oz in the darkness and silence of our den, sadness was the overriding emotion. There were other emotions, but none compared to the overwhelming amount of sadness I felt. I am fairly certain that no other television show has ever stirred me in this manner. I was in shock. I NEVER saw it coming. I forgot where I was. Little Ozlings could have run through the house naked, twirling batons, singing to the top of their little lungs. I would not have noticed. WOW. Still.in.shock.

91. Ghost
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

“We learn that Hodor is very similar to my cat as neither one of them like thunderstorms.”

That was great lol

Why are there people mad at Jon?

92. Hexonx
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

This is the look on sullied’s faces that watched with unsullied:

Also, Grey Wind’s kin looks for a Frey to kill:

93. Zaprowsdower
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Targaryen,

It’s been referenced a few times this season – recently with Cersei threatening Margaery with the history in Second Sons. It’s a famous song in Westeros – an anthem to the Lannisters. It’s about how Tywin destroyed House Reyne after they rebelled against the Lannisters. Not a wedding song at all and certainly not something a Stark would want to hear. Cat heard it and knew things were not good.

94. Auke
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

NOOOO!!!! NOOO!!!!!

I could’nt look, my heroes were slaughtered 1 by 1 !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WORST EPISODE !!! NOOO!!!

95. Joe B
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Richard,

I believe this is a good source for non-book readers. I sent it to non-book reader friends when they have questions and so far they haven’t been spoiled. It is updated with the show instead of the books so hopefully you won’t get spoiled by anything.

96. axia777
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

When you play the Game of Thrones you win or you die…..

97. Chetz
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Texted my sister who’s still on season two that she wont believe what happened today… that am gutted and shocked and almost in tears…. she guessed someone had died and replied she had cried when Ned Stark died… I told her she wont be able to take this then…

Silence… yes… shocked beyond words….

98. Targaryen
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Unbowed: murder

Thanks!!!

99. Jar baby
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Its all Aryas fault. Everywhere she goes people die.

100. Just A Random
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Ghost,

He jumped on a horse and left her behind. She looked devastated. If she sees him again, Snow may join Varys and the Unsullied. Bobbitt style.

101. Sergey
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

So this leaves me wondering if the red god’s magic really can work in such indirect ways.

102. A wildling Bastard
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

was really trying to hold back my tears in front of my twin brother (one of the unsullied).. and then with my unsullied friend who kept saying in a shaky voice ”please tell me this is a dream.. it must be right?” .. i’m utterly speechless, i thought i was prepared for it .. i wasn’t.

103. mellowjohn
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

btw, does anybody have the same reaction to david bradley (walder frey) that i do? every time he’s on screen, all i can think of is argus filch, the caretaker from hogwarts.

104. John G.
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

mellowjohn:

Sea mine.

105. johnnytata
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

it’s funny how unsullied are completely destroyed right now, and book readers are sort of bittersweetly happy. very wierd dynamic going on here, it’s like we book readers have been searching for years for someone to understand our pain without being able to say anything about what was causing it, and now that someone finally does and we can talk about it, it’s like this huge emotional catharsis.

and yet our happiness at being understood is cruel and callous in the context of your despair.

wierd.

106. HodorHodorHodor
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Targaryen,

Someone commented about Catelyn reacting slowly when she saw the signs… doors closed, the song, etc… I have to rewatch but I do think she was drinking (as opposed to Bolton who stayed sober), so we can’t fault her that much for some slowed reactions.

Overall, I am glad that was episode 9. That was the most tragic television episode I’ve ever seen in my life, next week must have some kind of goodness or hope… that can carry me until next season.

107. Jacqulyn H'ghar
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

My unsullied sister’s text post-episode: “GoT, OMG, WTF????”

108. Luigi
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

John G.:

But I wanna talk to them, be there for them in this hard time. We’ve had to keep our mouths shut about this for three years. I want to talk to someone other than the same guys I’ve been discussing this with for the last friggin’ decade.

109. Josla
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

HodorHodorHodor,

I’m not happy at all. In fact I’m so sad and depressed that it’s shameful. I feel like I’m a little girl again… How are the survivor Stark kids supposed to reunite and become a normal family now? The hopes that House Stark would prevail are dead now. I guess this is the end. There’s no way those kids alone will be able to defeat Joffrey and restore their house.

And where is the black fish? Is he alive? Will they show us his body as he was butchered outside the castle with the rest of the bannermen? Will they show us Edmure’s body as well? This is too much to handle in one episode!

110. Nicole
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Oh, the day after….. Eerily enough, it is raining here today, with ominous thunder in the distance….. Seems fitting….

111. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Luigi,

You still need to keep your mouths shut to a degree. This post is about the Unsullied and keeping it a safe space for them. Book readers keep making comments or references to things from the books that have not been explained about the Red Wedding yet or about the Reynes or more. It really would be best if book readers abstained from commenting except in the most limited way.

112. GoTAddict
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

agree. i refuse this as well.

it was sad they killed of robb but it was even sadder they killed catelyn.

113. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Chris,

I wasn’t aware of the term Guest’s Right as a proper noun at all and simply thought it was a easy of saying hospitality. But when food was being passed around as Robb apologized, I understood that the breaking of bread was a ceremony of some sorry and assumed it meant everyone was cool with everyone else. Though I specifically wondered why Talisa didn’t refuse considering she was the cause of all the tension. I don’t think unsullied could have been any more shocked even if this ceremony had been explained though. It may have made he question the change in music, but I was expecting Frey to do something ever since he asked to see Robb’s wife, so hearing that song told me violence was coming

114. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Mother of Ozlings,

Would you have noticed if I had been naked?

Probably not. “Get out of the way you idiot!”

I am going to watch it again after work, although I am beginning to question if that is a good idea.

115. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

GoTAddict,

Cat didn’t deserve that. She didn’t break any oath and she was no threat to House Frey. After killing his wife her fate was sealed I guess, but for some reason I held out hope for her up until that moment. Then again, I also hoped she would release his wife once he said he could get another.

116. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Targaryen,

Its the song of House Lannister, and as someone explained in another post, Cersei discussed it in the last episode (episode 8)

117. Nikola S
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Although Im not holding my breath. Georges mindset seems to be if your a good guy you die, if your a bad guy you live. He kills one bad guy for every 10 good guys.

They better kill a bad guy in the finale to make up for the 50 good guys that died last night!

Poor Arya Stark, she witnesses the death of every single one of her family. Hopefully she can meet up with John Snow. Dont think he will die any time soon. Although with George you never know. Maybe hell die in the next episode.

118. johnnytata
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

hope this isn’t spoilery and trying to be very purposefully vague, but i honestly never got the impact of “guest right” until after the scene when i got to other character’s reactions to this.

i say this is not spoilery because it’s pretty obvious that other characters (in general, not specific) are GOING to react, this is a huge event in the history of westeros, how can they not?

and also the show has already established many times that a concept that book readers hoped they would explain (but didn’t) ended up getting explained later (ie why jaime lost so easily to brienne in their swordfight).

sorry if this is too much and understand if it gets deleted.

119. 3eyes
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Mother of Ozlings:
    As I sat beside Oz in the darkness and silence of our den, sadness was the overriding emotion.There were other emotions, but none compared to the overwhelming amount of sadness I felt.I am fairly certain that no other television show has ever stirred me in this manner.I was in shock.I NEVER saw it coming.I forgot where I was.Little Ozlings could have run through the house naked, twirling batons, singing to the top of their little lungs.I would not have noticed.WOW.Still.in.shock.

This, and an almost sleepless night, as others have mentioned. I’ll save comments on the actors and their roles for the Curtain Call thread, but props to D&D, GRRM and David Nutter for a perfectly paced and beautifully shot episode. One of the best I’ve ever seen on television. Going back to my roost to recover now.

120. Christine
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Defeated. Emotionally drained. Can’t shake it. Feel pretty hallow inside pretending to work today.

I don’t think there is anything that can make a difference in one more episode of the season, but I would never give up watching & hoping.

121. indigoisfake
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

About an hour after the episode ended, it started storming something fierce here. Wind howling, thunder, lightning, heavy rain… Definitely felt appropriate considering what had just gone down.

Nicole:
    Oh, the day after…..Eerily enough, it is raining here today, with ominous thunder in the distance…..Seems fitting….

122. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Christine:

That makes at least two of us. I am sure there are many, many more.

123. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Well Oz you were right Jon did get pecked! Just not where you thought he would.

We’ve been waiting for so long for to welcome the unsullied to the post red wedding world. We’re all in this together now.

124. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Me… lol

125. Starkgaryen
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Welcome previous unsullied to your initiation/red wedding:

I now pronounce you (wo)Man and strife

126. Hmadkour
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I am 100% sullied, and i won’t spoil anything. When I read the two chapters in the book, I threw it from the top of mount Sinai. I was watching it today on the beach, with a stupid smirk on my face thinking I was ready. As soon as Cat got killed, I sat there, on the sand, with only the sound of the waves crashing on the shore, and I wanted the shove my laptop in the sea from how furious I got. This is how good a rendition it was.

127. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

I am trying to decide whether to re-watch the episode today or later. If it is just going to continue the ominous dark cloud lurking above me, perhaps I should wait. On the other hand, maybe it would help.

Who knows. A man needs a GoT psychologist.

128. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

I need one too.

I think watching it again – for me – may make matters worse. I need to see what happens next week – and then decide. I am so upset. I cried

129. 3eyes
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

I would suggest more recovery time.

130. Invorvial
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

A man is not alone in his need of a psychologist…

131. argilac's antler
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

We do not Hodor,

The point is us Book Readers just need to be patient and not try to stuff every bit of book knowledge down non-book fans’ throats at inappropriate times because we feel its something they *should* know at this very moment. Let the TV show tell its story.

132. El Beto
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Rad1999,

It aired on my birthday… as a reader it was an amazing present!!!
    Anyway, I’m just here reading the reactions of the non-readers, trying to find if it was as shocking as in the books.

133. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink
  134. El Beto
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

Daario, his name is Daario!!!

135. valyrian
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Mother of Ozlings,

Lol you guys rock

136. Anonymous Coward
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

In answer to the question above: I pay attention but I have completely missed the Guest’s Right thing.
    I think book readers are making too much of it. What I have not missed is that since season 1 it’s been established that when thrones are in play, anything goes. Ned’s rules only work for those who bend the knee. Don’t be as naive as he was. Who cares about customs? Who’s going to avenge the king who lost the North?
    My interpretation is that when Robert, Ned and Tywin ended the Targaryan dynasty and put whoever they liked on the throne, they effectively put an end to whatever rule of law existed in the 7 kingdoms.

I take some morbid pleasure at reading people’s reactions here.
    Myself, I was getting worried as the episode unfolded but then when the Lannister song started playing I was like “YES!”.
    Good riddance. These sanctimonious characters were a waste of screen time and budget. Make way for King’s Landing! I was susprised it happened so fast however. They could have dragged it to the next episode with a cliffhanger.
    And shame about the undignified death scenes. Ned’s death was so cool in comparison. Not an unnecessary word was said. But then Cat and her fool of a son together weren’t half the man he was.

137. johnnytata
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

argilac’s antler: We do not Hodor, Why do Book Readers keep doing this? LET THE FREAKIN’ SHOW EXPLAIN IT! Stop holding the non-book fans’ hands. There’s absolutely NO need to tell them anything the book goes into more detail with. When the Rains of Castemere first appeared on the show (Blackwater?), the forums erupted with every know-it-all Book Reader trying to detail the history of that song and what the lyrics mean so that non-book fans can “get it”. Forward to one year later, and the show explains the song in episode 28 (Second Sons) right before it becomes important.For all we know guest rights could be explained in the next episode. For instance Tyrion seems quite disturbed by the move in the teaser. Perhaps he can “explain” why he feels what occurred was beyond just defeating an enemy but sacrilege in the eyes of Gods and men. Or perhaps possibly Jaime if the rumors are true and he makes it to KL in the next episode.The point is us Book Readers just need to be patient and not try to stuff every bit of book knowledge down non-book fans’ throats at inappropriate times because we feel its something they *should* know at this very moment.

amen.

whether its because they want to feel “in the know” and show it off, or because they are just trying to be benevolent, i think it’s unnessecary.

the show is meant to stand alone, not to be a visual aide to the books. if it isn’t explained in the show, then in the context of the show it doesn’t need to be known, at least not yet in some cases.

and we book readers need to get over the fact that for the most part, unsullied couldn’t give two shytes about what we think they should know.

138. Lannisters are GOATest of all time
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

I ain’t even trollin’

House Lannister is just way more sick. Liking the Starks is conpletely plebeian. Tywin is a boss, Tyrion is witty and underestimated yet tragic, Jaime is a magnificent bastard, Cersei is crazy but interesting, even Joffrey is such a dick he’s entertaining. Sorry that House Lannister is 9999 times more interesting than boring 1 dimensional honorable good guy House Stark. Lannisters actually win, Starks just lose lose and lose more. Good riddance

139. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

OKay so I went back to the archives, and the episode 9 of season one – the dreaded Ned stark MURDER lol… and looking at comments, one was like this

“I’ve been reading a lot of comments about new viewers wanting to quit the show… honestly I think once the initial shock dies down they will change their minds and continue.

Seriously guys, trust us when we say, IT GETS BETTER. So, so much better. :D”

TWO SEASONS LATER….. WHEN DOES IT GET BETTER???????????
    (except the Queen of Dragons story)

140. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

If it makes any of the Unsullied feel any better, I was unaware of the Guest’s Right deal too.

I thought it was simply a Frey version of chips and salsa.

141. EASY
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Red Viper,

Nope this aint twilight!

142. gosensgo
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Lannisters are GOATest of all time,

They’re dishonorable – they’re dirty. You are who your friends are ;) HAHAHA
    Anyway to each his own.
    Stark for life!!!! and Queen of Dragons.

143. Hexonx
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Lannisters are GOATest of all time,

Maybe not completely trollish. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But it is sorta trollish to come on here and rub it in for people that do like the Starks. Anyway, if you believe the Lannisters will still hold power by the end of the series you are sadly mistaken (I hope anyway).

144. argilac's antler
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

argilac’s antler,

I see its already begun. Comment sections on the review pages are blowing up about the “importance” of GRs.

/sigh

145. Joey
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Im sullied. so skip if you want but im not putting anything spoilery in here.
    As far as the guest rights thing. I agree Book Readers should probably wait to explain it at least to the end of the season(only one more week and patience is a vurture) but on the other hand I really think something as explaining guest right is that big of a deal. Hell everybody thought that is was just an appatizer. Still wait to see if the show will explain. Then get unsullied reaction.
    NOW. as far as the whole “leave this forum for the unsullie so all sullie get out” SHIT. I said it before, now once again. This is an open forum. Hopefully dumbass book readers dont go and ruin things expecially when there spoiler tags in here, but you need to understand. this is the internet. if you go poking around in forums its at your own risk and you knew from JUMP STREET. You should always stay cautious. And 7 hells allready. Stay away from a wiki of ice and fire or westeros or even tower of the hand if you dont want spoiled. they are all great reference material. but if you want to stay sullied dont go snooping.

146. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

argilac’s antler,

Do people really not trust D&D to explain it when (if) it becomes important to the show? For all we know the next episode will feature 30 minutes of Stannis discussing why he must now kill Frey before he gets to King’s Landing. Or it will be unimportant and people move on without this one bit of social custom that is apparently seen in the books. Or for the wild curve ball, thus massacre will be the event that causes the custom to be established in the first place.

El Beto,

It rhymes with Fabio and obviously the “D”stands for desert :-)

Oh, and House Stark for the win! Bran needs to warg into Joffrey and walk him off a cliff.

147. Just A Random
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Quick question :

What’s the time line at Yunkai between Desert Fabio killing the other two guys and then using the “second sons” entrance that’s lightly guarded? Once the second sons realized two of their leaders were gone (headless?) wouldn’t the side door be more heavily guarded on the outside? I know more guards came, but in waves.

Why weren’t the second sons themselves more on alert? Are they currently having a mutiny or something?

148. argilac's antler
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Just A Random,

But the Second Sons are now led by Daario and pledged to Daenarys. Or am I misunderstanding you?

149. Just A Random
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

argilac’s antler:
    Just A Random,

I think that’s part of it. Ok, post sacking Yunkai , they’re pledged to Dany.

But how come the second sons didn’t seem to care or notice that two of the three leaders were gone?

150. Harpie
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Nicole,

Tampa?

151. argilac's antler
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Just A Random,

No, no. BEFORE the sacking. Previous episode, in the bath tub scene Daario said to Daenarys “the Second Sons are yours.” I think those guys they fought in the recent episode were simple Yunkai guards, not the Second Sons.

152. Just A Random
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

argilac’s antler,

Ohh. Duh. Got it, thx.

153. Bread'n'Butter
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Chris,

I’ve read a lengthy guest right discussion before, and I don’t think that bread and salt thing matters at all for the communication of the scene.
    In any society on earth, it’s common sense that, if you’re invited for a wedding, you can at least expect to not be killed by your host. There needs to be no additional highlighting of regional customs. It’s not like anyone would ever think: “Well, I guess it’s okay to kill the Starks, for the formal reassurance of friendship was hardly noticeable”.

154. outdoorcats
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Josla,

I don’t think Bran can ever have children. Isn’t he basically paralyzed below the waist? So…

155. Wintry Spy
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

I was so glad for Robb and Catelyn this season. House Stark is my favorite in the series. But now, now as an Unsullied I am, I must get over it and focus on Arya’s ”carrier”.
    RIP Robb, RIP my dearest Catelyn… You were a wonderful mother and all of your children were/are so honorable, like their father… THE NORTH NEREMBERS

156. Will
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

zaprowsdower,

First time commenting on here and Unsullied although I am reading the first book now.

I got hints from twitter this morning as the US was watching, but thought no, not Rob! As it went on I reckoned it had to be as it was all going to well for him.

Me and my wife just sat quiet at the end. Bang went my theory that Rob and Dany would eventually get together!

Awesome stuff. I going to read but not past the show, it’s so good I think I will prefer it that way.

157. Will
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Chris,

Reminds me of some of the darker moments in Scottish History. Lots of murders carried out when safety had been promised.

Almost Macbeth like.

158. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Lyanna_Targaryen,

LOL, me too! My 2 year old is probably more patient than some adults….

159. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Joey,

One of the reasons why this site is my favorite Game of Thrones fansite is because it establishes places where people who haven’t read the books, or are only partway through, can discuss episodes. It’s not SHIT to preserve that safe haven for non-readers by asking book readers to shut up about spoilers. Yes, it’s the internet, but this is hopefully a place safer for non readers than the average youtube comment section. This being the internet doesn’t give anyone the right to say whatever the heck they want to. This is also a moderated website. They give you the opportunity to comment and voice your opinions with others, but with that comes an obligation to follow their rules. I don’t see how it’s possible to be “cautious” about which site you enter if there aren’t websites and forums like this.

160. Laura
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

I am shocked, sick and so upset that Robb, Catelyn and Talissa ALL died and the brutal way it was done. It was so visceral. My husband wanted to watch it back but I can’t see it again yet. Does it get better, I’ll still watch and I am going to start reading the books but I need to know if it gets better. Oh man, its now an hour since I watched it and I can’t get off the couch. I’m in shock. Brilliant episode. Well done to all.

161. MartinJF
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Btw, you all need to see this video

It’s the best and the worst video I’ve ever seen! at the same time!

162. Tar Kidho
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

I came here to read the recaps and comments as some sort of therapy, to share my pain with others that have gone through the same thing. I need it, even though I’ve known about the Red Wedding ever since I read the book many years ago…

I’ve cried on numerous occasions with films, tv series or books, but I have NEVER felt so utterly destroyed as when reading this part of the books, and now again when watching the show. I hate GRRM for what he puts us through, and at the same time I think he’s brilliant. Same for D&D and the others involved with the show: I hate them for the brutality of the Red Wedding scenes, but on the other side I can only applause them for showing the horrible, cruel side of humanity as it still emerges all over Earth on a daily basis. The reason this shocks us all to our very cores is the realization that what happened is very realistic, despite being part of a fantasy series.

As a final word to all Unsullied: I feel your pain, litterally. From now on, Sullied and Unsullied share this pain, and also from now on, the Unsullied share the responsibility of not spoiling the RW plot to those who have not yet watched the show. Unsullied, your watch has begun!

163. Stella
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

valyrian:
    Oz of Thrones,

Mother of Ozlings,

Lol you guys rock

Really enjoy the Unsullied view of the GAME OF THRONES world. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings!!

164. Don't Tell Me
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

I am Unsullied and had no idea this was coming. I’ve only seen one other person mention anything like this in the comments and so I’m going to black out my question in case it turns out to be a premature spoiler, but after last night I was wondering…
    Edmure left the room. The uncle left the room. Neither of them were seen being murdered. In fact, Edmure got the pretty wife, almost like Frey was hooking him up. Do you think the Tullys made a side deal with the Lannisters as well? I know they are Cat’s brother and uncle, but this is GoT.

165. NoxAeturnus
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

My girlfriend is unsullied and she totally didn’t react. Her first words were “Kinda saw that coming. Didn’t think anyone was coming out of that alive.” She was most sad when Grey Wind was killed, but she loves wolves more than humans so…

On a side note when Daario, Jorah, and Barristan were all in the tent together, meeting with Dany, she said, “So now she has Tarzan, Crocodile Dundee, and Obi Wan.” I’ll have to ask her later what she calls Grey Worm.

166. Nagga's Kin
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

1) Stuff I “liked”:

- The wedding at the Twins. I had a strong inkling Roose Bolton had been laying the groundwork for a move against Robb for a long time. They disagreed on military strategy, especially on the treatment of prisoners. Moreover, the Starks had been the ruling family in the North for an extremely long time, so this almost certainly wasn’t their first instance of tension with their bannermen. Also, we had been told explicitly that Lord Frey was a dangerous man to cross, though it was news to me that Roose had married one of his daughters (for a hefty fee). Even with all that foreshadowing, amplified by the final build-up within the episode, the sheer brutality of this coup d’etat was shocking to me. Robb’s youthful naiveté regarding other noblemen’s honor (or rather, lack thereof) finally caught up with him, Cat, Talisa and presumably, hundreds of his soldiers.

While it’s not clear if Edmure and Blackfish survived, it seems likely that House Frey will now run the Riverlands (at least de facto) and House Bolton will take over the North. That begs two questions: what secret deal, if any, have these two Lords already struck with Tywin? Will House Karstark bend the knee to Roose Bolton?

- Having arrived too late to prevent the massacre, the Hound rescued Arya from certain death, even though she has threatened to kill him on several occasions. Underneath that gruff exterior and harsh demeanor, he really is a better man than anyone gives him credit for. The question is where he’s going to take her now to collect his ransom. Only one place comes to mind …

- Jon decided to escape and warn what remains of the Night’s Watch at Castle Black. He did betray Ygritte in the process, but in the end he remembered the part of his oath that matters most: protecting the realm. Qhorin Halfhand’s death was not in vain. In the brutal military logic of the Wall, keeping the wildlings out of Westeros has always meant they – rather than the Starks and their bannermen – would be the ones on the front line against the White Walkers if and when they returned. If – still a big IF – Sam (the Wizard!) manages to reunite with Jon, there’s still a chance they can help the wildlings defend their own territory by procuring and providing dragonglass weapons.

I wonder if Jon recognized Summer and Shaggydog, since he hasn’t seen them since they were puppies. We’ve been told direwolves are rare south of the Wall. For a pair with exactly those colorations to help him out precisely when he’s in serious trouble must have been both a godsend and spooky for Jon.

2) Stuff I didn’t like as much:

- Bran sending Osha, Rickon and Shaggydog off to seek refuge with House Umber. Looking at the map, he could have done that weeks ago and saved them a long and possibly dangerous trip back south and east. More to the point, for Bran to ask a bannerman to raise the heir to the North in case his mystic quest ends in disaster is no small favor. He should have taken his whole group there to make the request in person, in spite of the detour that would have entailed. Yes, he’s just a boy, but maester Luwin educated him on the finer points of the feudal system.

- Jorah, Grey Worm and smarmy Daario returning to Dany after sacking Yunkai. I really liked how the three unlikely musketeers fended off the first wave of defenders only to be cornered by a much larger second wave. At that particular point in time, the outcome was still uncertain. The successful resolution of this battle could easily have been postponed until next week.

167. Tar Kidho
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

NoxAeturnus: She was most sad when Grey Wind was killed, but she loves wolves more than humans so…

Err…man… time to end that relationship and GET OUT ALIVE WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

168. Jeremy
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

A (unsullied) friend’s comment: “I’m amazed, astounded etc and expect Patrick Duffy to turn around from a dream sequence shower next episode.”

169. NipplesonaBreastplate
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

I was looking forward to reading Oz’s reaction to Ep. 9 since…I don’t know…my first read of his first review. I’m sorry that the RW was as tragic and traumatizing as it was…for both Oz and Ozette…and all of the Unsullied. It was gut-wrenching on my first read, my second read, etc. AND I watched it with tears in my eyes on each of two watches last night, though less tears on the second. Brilliant performances, writing and directing! It amazes me that the Unsullied can remain so and not give in to finding those books and getting started on them. I can only say that, if you do give in, you will not be sorry. I’d miss this read every week, but I’d get over it. Nice job again, Oz! Thanks for entertaining this particular Sullied woman with your views, opinions and predictions.

170. mimi
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

johnnytata:
    it’s funny how unsullied are completely destroyed right now, and book readers are sort of bittersweetly happy.very wierd dynamic going on here, it’s like we book readers have been searching for years for someone to understand our pain without being able to say anything about what was causing it, and now that someone finally does and we can talk about it, it’s like this huge emotional catharsis.

wierd.

This! Shared pain is healing. I’ve been in awe of these books since they were first published and had to bite my tongue and not spoil it for others for YEARS. You can’t explain to someone that has never heard of ASoIaF in 10 minutes how incredibly painful the red wedding scene is to read/see.

Now there are thousands…….no millions………..who share my pain. ……..sigh……….

And I can now say the words ‘Red Wedding’ and just about everyone will understand.

171. Hexonx
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Don’t Tell Me:

Well, I won’t tell you ;)

Whether Edmure & the Blackfish are alive and/or if they had anything to do w/the RW will most likely be addressed next episode.

172. Gatorfisch
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Just A Random:
    Quick question :

The Second Sons now fight for Dany. Those weren’t Second Sons guarding the gates. That’s all I’ll say, because I don’t want to be accused of spoiling. (All this was mentioned last week and in this episode…but I understand if a lot of people forgot those parts) Hope this helps.

173. I Know of Fear
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Don’t Tell Me,

Here is what I noticed: Robb’s army didn’t have a whole lot of women in its ranks, and even fewer who were highborn enough to be invited to a feast. When the wedding and bedding ceremony was underway, a bunch of women dragged Edmure out of the room. Do you really think that all of those Frey women, who were passed over by Robb, would be happy to see Edmure consummate his marriage?

174. Just A Random
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Gatorfisch,

Yes, the two week delay has me all mixed up. I think i have it now.

175. Milly
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 12:42 am | Permalink

My Unsullied sister (I, unfortunately, am completely Sullied) watched the episode with me as she always does. From the moment the Rains of Castamere started playing, she looked horrified, since she remembered the story of the song from e8. And then everything started, and she was crying. Once the credits rolled, she stood up from the couch, got down on the floor, and just lay there, repeating “Nope” over and over. Meanwhile, I was sobbing.

Powerful episode.

176. grumpycetacean
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 12:56 am | Permalink

The last bit with Catelyn…ho mah gah. My jaw was just dropped.

So, since Talisa came into the plot I’ve really been down on Robb. Just thought it was a huge mistake to break his oath to Frey, but I was starting to doubt myself when Edmure’s wedding was going on since everything seemed great. I did not expect them to kill Talisa and was afraid I’d have to watch her in future seasons sans Robb. On top of the oath breaking issue I just felt like she was too ‘mary sue’ or something. Not as complex or interesting as the rest of the lot. I’m glad I don’t have to watch her anymore but her death was so tragic and upsetting. I could not believe that Catelyn was killed, I remember when she said that she knew Frey from childhood and he wouldn’t hurt her. Was so sad to see Blackfish die too. Stupid Robb, so damn stupid.

Arya. I always liked her but she is growing on me even more. I hope the hound continues to look after her, she needs someone on her side. I was kind of hoping that she makes it to Dany somehow, with Brienne.

Speaking of Dany, the taking of Yunkai was really really understated and truncated compared to the lead up. It was an awesome if quick fight scene though.

It seems trivial next to the Red Wedding but what’s with the near misses with Starks this ep? Jon was right there near his half brothers, within spitting distance…I am upset that the eagle sliced up his face, I liked him pretty.

PS I am going to a wedding at the end of the month :o
    Attended by a lot of people that don’t like each other. . .

177. Julie Rohrer
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 1:10 am | Permalink

I’m thinking John took off on the horse because he did recognize the direwolves and wanted to be sure the remaining Wildlings wouldn’t stick around and maybe find his “brothers’?

Poor Jorah’s face when he realized Danny is interested in the new guy in the way she used to look at the Khal.

178. UF
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:24 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    Well Oz you were right Jon did get pecked!Just not where you thought he would.

Hee! That’s what I was thinking during the scene too :)

But otherwise… I feel totally empty inside. I even changed the GoT screensaver on my computer. I can’t bare to look at it.
    Won’t stop watching, but it’s just… too much for now.

I’m even more shocked than after Ned’s death. At least his was quick.
    This time, I started screaming at the screen for Talisa, but at first I thought Frey would only kill her, to teach Robb a lesson. Then the arrows for him and Cat… and in the end I still hoped against hope Cat would be able to convince Frey to stop.

It was great TV, but, man. This GRRM is one preverse story writer.

179. UF
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:27 am | Permalink

grumpycetacean:
    Was so sad to see Blackfish die too. Stupid Robb, so damn stupid.

I don’t think Blacfish died. He left the room just before the slaughtering. Unless he was killed off-screen…

I’m curious about Edmure, though. He’s not a Stark and he’s his son in law now, so maybe Frey will spare him. On the other hand, I can’t imagine him taking the killing of part of his family lightly… even for a pretty wife…

180. William
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:29 am | Permalink

Bread’n'Butter,

Well, not exactly. There’s this a historic event happened in the UK, called Black Dinner with Clan Douglas. The Douglases were invited to a dinner at Edinburgh Castle, and were beheaded by the host or something like that.

Anyway, Westeros is not Earth ;)

181. UF
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:48 am | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin:

I was wondering about this too, why they didn’t go there before, if it’s so close (and still wondering wth maester Luwin sent them to Jon and not to the Umbers???).

But then I realized the turning point was seeing Jon Snow in danger. I think before that Bran maybe thought about leaving Rickon with Jon, but seeing how Jon is not safe anymore, the Umbers were the next safe option.

182. UF
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Also, how does Osha know the way to the Umbers?

183. gosensgo
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 8:35 am | Permalink

grumpycetacean,

Blackfish died?? Did we see that??

184. zaprowsdower
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 9:00 am | Permalink

gosensgo,

No, we didn’t. Blackfish’s fate is unknown at this point.

185. gosensgo
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

zaprowsdower,

I thought so

186. Adam 2nd of his name
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Didn’t the soldiers running past Arya say something about the Blackfish? Something like “The blackfish is gone, find him” or something of that nature? I may have completely misheard it but that is what I thought.

Since I was thinking I heard that in the show, I am sure the spoiler tags aren’t necessary, but just in case.

187. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Adam 2nd of his name:

Nope, they didn’t.

188. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    Well Oz you were right Jon did get pecked!Just not where you thought he would.

We’ve been waiting for so long for to welcome the unsullied to the post red wedding world.We’re all in this together now.

Yes…. Jon’s ass was spared. It looks like his face got it pretty good though.

Can someone explain this….. Jon stabs Orell which would presumably kill him. But then Orell wargs into the Eagle and attacks Jon.

So, was Orell still barely alive and this was his last warg before he died? Or does that work in a different way? **If this is spoiler stuff, please disregard!!

189. NickS
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Oz of Thrones:Can someone explain this….. Jon stabs Orell which would presumably kill him.But then Orell wargs into the Eagle and attacks Jon.

he was still barely alive

190. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

NickS,

Thanks Nick. That is what I assumed, but you never know in the wacky world of Westeros.

191. gosensgo
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

OZ do you have twitter?

192. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:29 am | Permalink

NipplesonaBreastplate,

You are quite welcome, Nips on a Platter.

It is amazing how even after a full day and night, the scene remains ingrained into my mind. Traumatic to say the least.

People will be talking about that hour of television for years to come.

193. gosensgo
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

I am still thinking about this.
    I am off from work this week studying for an Accounting Designation exam and I have barely done ANYTHING because of that hour of television. This is depressing

on a side note – this is too funny

194. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

gosensgo,

No. I was heavily advised against it by the great readers of WiC as to not be subjected to spoilers.

I would really like to have one as it seems to be a great, fast way to get news and information. But if someone intentionally spoiled me, I would be highly perturbed.

195. gosensgo
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Now we know who burnt down winterfell

196. gosensgo
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

True… Good point
    I have it too (I just got it recently as I am a huge sports fan and that the best way to stay up to date) but I don’t know too many people that watch GOT (Weird eh???) So I don’t think I am at risk here.
    That’s too bad – would have liked to follow you and have you post GOT stuff on Twitter

197. Lord Stonefield
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Will:
    Chris,

Almost Macbeth like.

Exactly. When I read the book, it immediately brought “the Black Dinner” in 1440 in my mind. And it was arguably more shocking than the Red Wedding.

It just shows how well GRRM knows his brutal history of the Antiquity, the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. He finds great stories, events and plot lines and weaves a great story of them to something called the Song of Fire and Ice.

198. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

gosensgo,

Same here on being the sports fan (primarily football, I admit).

Good luck on the Accounting Designation exam. Sounds most intriguing (where is the sarcasm font when I need it?) However, it is a great field to go in to. There is no lack of work for accountants.

By the way, Ozzette is a big time accountant in our fair city. I don’t know how you guys do it.

199. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

People are deliberately tweeting spoilers at unspoiled critics like Sepinwall so I would definitely recommend staying off Twitter still.

200. Impi
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

UF:
    Also, how does Osha know the way to the Umbers?

She said it in the episode, you Southerners build your great big stone castles and never move. I think the locales of the major houses are well know to the smallfolk.

201. Just A Random
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

Wow, C’mon people. Don’t be a Roose Bolton, ie:a jerk

202. Roose Bolton
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Just A Random: Wow, C’mon people. Don’t be a Roose Bolton, ie:a jerk

That really hurts.

203. gosensgo
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Me its Hockey Football and Futebol! Twitter is really good for it!!!!

No way – that’s awesome – Ya I don’t know how we do it either – We must be crazy LOL
    thank you for the well wishes.
    This is not going to be easy – my exam is the day after the FINALE

204. zaprowsdower
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

What is wrong with people? Seriously?

205. Jake
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

This was a great review. Even having read the books myself, and waiting since the first season just to see the Red Wedding, it was STILL hard to watch. I was working some overtime at DISH last night, and was on the light rail when “The Rains of Castamere” aired, and I thought it was brutal and shocking and perfect. This is when I love my DISH Anywhere app; it streams live or recorded shows to my iPad off my home receiver, and I was able to watch the episode during my commute. I loved the wedding, and of course, it was nice to see Jon Snow back in action, too!

206. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

I will. It’s just not worth it. Wouldn’t it be great if all men were honorable?

207. Joey
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Hodor Targaryen: Joey

This is the internet and yes you can say whatever you want. that has been well estableshed for years.
    This is a moderated site and people should stick to the spoiler rules. but they can not block people from posting anything they want in here or kick them out. they can delete but that takes time.
    You are on the internet. WORLD WIDE WEB. information super highway. So i am just saying do not be naive if you are looking anything on the web you stand a chance of getting spoiled. thats what be cautious means.
    I hope of all of you stay unspoiled and i will not be spoiling anybody.

208. Joey
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

didnt Sepinwall read the books or was that fienberg?

209. gosensgo
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Apparently, the honorable will always be defeated.

210. Lancel Sandwich
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink
  211. Just A Random
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Roose Bolton: That really hurts.

Sorry Roose.

I would have also accepted any Seinfeld Jerk Store reference.

212. Ancalagon
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones: Can someone explain this….. Jon stabs Orell which would presumably kill him.But then Orell wargs into the Eagle and attacks Jon.
    I’m asking this because I’m not sure if Nick answered correctly.

So, was Orell still barely alive and this was his last warg before he died?Or does that work in a different way?**If this is spoiler stuff, please disregard!!

What exactly did you mean? That Orell was alive when he transferred his mind to the eagle or do you mean that he was alive during the whole attack?

213. Emilia lover
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

No naked Emilia is a bummer.
    Though, why the fuck did Jon leave Ygritte? Hope they get together again. (im also on the Ygritte side).

Hope the Starks will eventually take revenge on the Lanisters. And i hope they will get Winterfell back…

214. The MediocreJohn
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Emilia lover:

I think Jon & Ygritte will probably need a couples councilor. Perhaps Maester Phil?

215. The MediocreJohn
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

grumpycetacean:

PS I am going to a wedding at the end of the month :o
    Attended by a lot of people that don’t like each other. . .

No one here would fault you for wearing your mail under your suit, but it might raise a few eyebrows amongst the guests. Just don’t go whistling “Rains of Castamere” and you’ll be fine.

…maybe.

216. grumpycetacean
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 12:45 am | Permalink

UF,

Haha entirely possible I have gotten dudes mixed up…wouldn’t be the first time with GoT, especially if large beards are involved. Tho Blackfish doesn’t have a big beard so I definitely saw someone else get their throat slit…I don’t have much hope he survived…but now I have some!

217. grumpycetacean
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 12:49 am | Permalink

The MediocreJohn,

xD maybe it’s not too late to get one of Cersei’s fashionably armored dresses also…

and of course that song can’t NOT be in my head now!!

218. Daniellica
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Nikola S

Nikola S: Unsullied here. Reaction? Pissed! Not at the show, at the Lanisters and effing Walter Frey! Im pretty sure that this was all their idea, or should I say Tywins idea. This show better kill of 3-4 Lanisters by the time we hit season 4 finale or I will be pissed at the show. Or should I say at George RR Martin.

This is both the very point of everything and completely beside the point. if you’ll pardon my tautological digression. You are right–it is not fair–which is the point. Life is not fair. Life does not care about intentions or honor or goodwill. Life dances of its own accord; people do what they will, and the clash and consequence of each often seems cruel and unforgiving.

It is decidedly not the point in the concept of “good” or “bad” guys. Melisandre may say men are either evil or they are good; GRRM knows better, as should everyone else. What is good for Robb Stark is bad for Tywin Lannister; what is good for Joffrey is, well…bad for (most) everyone else. If Tywin did indeed plan the RW, he did not sit down with the following intention, “Hmmm, how can I kill the most good guys and make life totally unfair for everyone? Muahahaha!” He would rather sit down thinking, “How can I resolve this situation to the best of my ability for the good of my house and the realm?”

In this world GRRM has constructed, that D&D have translated, and which echoes our own, people are neither good nor bad. People do what is best for their intentions, their standards, their morals, their position. Some characters we despised at the beginning of the story develop into more complicated and endearing individuals as we gain some of their perspective, Jamie being a great example.

Ideals such as honor and duty are lofty aspirations, but nigh impossible to live up to, or indeed live through, as Ned and Robb illustrate all too plainly. Ideals do not mesh with the reality of complex political and emotional situations–Ned and Robb again illustrate this, with Ned’s confession (for the sake of his daughters) and Robb’s betrayal of his honor by breaking his oath to marry a Frey.

GoT is irrevocably tangled in conflicting obligations, wherein the Kingslayer saved untold thousands by betraying his most solemn vow, the lives of the many are consistently weighed against the lives of the few, ambition crushes mercy underfoot, and not a single character may escape unscathed. Aye, and neither can we.

219. young stark
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Fuck frey,fuck bolton,fuck tywin the north will never forget this shit!!!!!!

220. Rashenko
    Posted June 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I congratulate the sullied after this episode you are known as ‘wizards’

221. The Bloodraven
    Posted June 7, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if this has been mentioned in the comments yet, but Bolton’s marriage to one of the Freys probably happened around season 2, which I think is before the plan for the Red Wedding was made.

222. 3eyes
    Posted June 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

The Bloodraven,

Some of that silver probably went to pay the old man who identified Jamie and Brienne.

223. Ghost
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

This series doesn’t have a “main character.”

1. [...] the comments will contain spoilers. If you haven’t read ASoS yet, you can discuss this episode in our non-book reader recap. [...]