The Interviews of Castamere
By Ours is the Fury on in Press.

cat

The dust has settled after “The Rains of Castamere,” and the actors and producers of Game of Thrones are now free to discuss the devastating Red Wedding.

• Michelle Fairley shares what was going through Catelyn’s head during the Red Wedding, her character’s faith, and more in this interview with HBO.com.
  • In an interview with Rolling Stone, Richard Madden compares Robb to Ned, explains why it was significant for Talisa to die, and considers the episode’s place in TV history.
  • George R.R. Martin tells EW that he planned on killing off Robb and Catelyn Stark “almost from the beginning” in order to avoid predictable plot developments. Martin also shares his historical inspirations for the infamous wedding.
  • Michelle Fairley reveals to Access Hollywood what was it like shooting the Red Wedding and how she’s “never been that emotionally exhausted before — ever.” Fairley also dishes on making the crew cry, killing Frey’s wife and her tight working relationship with Richard Madden.
  • Oona Chaplin tells the Big Issue, “I always said that if I was part of one classic then I could happily retire. I’m kinda screwed now because I’m not ready to retire.”
  • “A thousand people spoiled it for me before I had a chance to pick up the third book,” says Richard Madden to EW, about learning of his character’s fate. The actor also says that Arya’s nearness to her family at the end broke his heart. And when asked, Madden’s version of ‘a message of encouragement for fans?’ “No one is safe on Game of Thrones.”
  • Executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss with EW the filming of the episode, the resonance of the notorious scene,  and whether heroes exist in the world of Thrones.
  • Richard Madden admits he wept after leaving the set for the last time after filming. “I was the crazy boy on the plane crying at about midnight, landing in London.” He says to Access Hollywood that it’s “still very difficult for me to process that I’m not going back, that it is completely gone.”
  • “I met somebody who read [the Red Wedding scene] on the plane and they were so disgusted and heartbroken they left the book on the plane,” Michelle Fairley tells EW. She also says that she doesn’t yet think that she can watch the episode.

1. Evil erik
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Hodor, **eyes go white, falls asleep**

2. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Aww Nodoooorrr….. :(

Curse you Erik!

3. Evil erik
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Mehehe HODOR HODOR

4. OhManymous
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Hodors – stop hodoring!

5. ebevan91
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Lmao, so someone was on a flight and read the Red Wedding, and out of frustration left the book on the plane.

6. Just A Random
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Beware if you load their comments (it’s not automatic on mobile) they’re loaded with GoT spoilers.

7. Turncloak
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Just A Random: According to Entertainment Weekly, Catelyn already landed a recurring role on Suits (excellent show). Varys has guested on it previously.

So happy for her. we should still get Stoneheart in that case :)

8. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

(ok I don’t really care, I just loved that scene)

9. Draig
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I hope to the gods they don’t show the scene of her being thrown into the river…that would just be too much to bare. Her scream still haunts me

10. Emilia lover
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Hope Emilia will get naked in the last episode.

Also, Lena would be nice to see.

11. Richard
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Gotta love Oona’s take on Game of Thrones “Dragons & Naked Ladies”

12. WheelofIceandFire
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Its a shame Michelle doesnt want to watch the episode, because they really need her and Richard Madden to do commentary for the season 3 blu ray. No one else should be doing that episode (maybe D&D)

13. Cameron Rasmusson
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

I feel bad for poor Richard. It’s got to be tough having your character killed off after spending all that time becoming friends with the cast and crew. All the best to him in the future!

14. Bgap
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Michelle Fairley trying not to spoil anything: “Kevin, [our] wonderful hair designer, he cut my hair for me. …He was so lovely. This was after everybody had wrapped, so we had a couple hours of sitting together talking and he cut my hair and… you know [how] some people cut their hair when they break up a relationship — they change their look? But my hair really did need a cut at this point, so Kevin, bless him, did it…” She was changing her look alright. Into Lady Stoneheart.

15. dragonreborn
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

thank you wic, I learned that talisa dies before watching it. just for checking whats going on in the site.

16. Douglas
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

That’s on you because it’s been 2 days since it aired

17. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

dragonreborn,

That’s unfortunate but it’s sheer luck that Oona Chaplin’s curtain call isn’t posted yet. The episode aired two days ago and you chose to visit the site. You aren’t a newbie, dragon. I would definitely recommend avoiding WiC if circumstances prevent you from being able to watch the show within a day.

18. dragonreborn
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I’m sullied and talisa was an excitement for me. I’m too busy to watch the episode, and I’m addicted to this site. Can’t help but checking :)

19. Delta1212
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

dragonreborn,

I know how you feel, but I’ve read the books and I still stay away from anything remotely GoT-related from 9pm Sunday until I’ve finished watching the episode.

20. Card of Doom
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Does anyone think that Michelle Fairley’s comments that she was leaving the show means that she will not be returning as Stoneheart? Is it possible that they will have someone else play Stoneheart seeing as there is really no voice and the face has to be all waterlogged and gross?

21. sati
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Card of Doom:

I really don’t think it’s possible they would get another actress to play her.

22. Delta1212
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Card of Doom,

She’s mostly been implying that she’ll leave the show and saying things that allow people who assume she’s leaving to continue to assume.

The way she’s been talking in interviews versus, say, Richard Madden is actually what brought me around to the idea that we’ll probably see Lady Stoneheart next episode.

23. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Considering as far as we know, it’s the sum total of three scenes, one of which *could* be next week, one of which *could* be next year, and one a long ways after that, I don’t see how she won’t pop up as a guest star (and pop up next week at the end of her contract).

24. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Card of Doom,

Conleth Hill is in Suits – and he has a much bigger role than Lady Stoneheart. Shouldn’t be a problem.

And yes, I think it’s extremely likely we’ll see Lady Stoneheart. I’ve thought this for weeks now, ever since I saw Richard Dormer’s, who plays Beric, interview

25. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Delta1212:
    Card of Doom,

True. Richard Madden’s basically been all “I’m done, it’s over,” and Michelle Fairley has been more of a tease, saying “Well, you’ll have to watch.”

26. Crozyr
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

If you listen to Myhsa, You will notice that at the end of the song it has that mysterious sounding little *ring*, which makes me think that they will use it for Catelyn opening her eyes. Maybe, they might even cut from Dany and Beric vise versa during the song.

27. sati
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Crozyr:

Yeah I think it will be a closing montage of two mhysas

28. MRR
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Card of Doom:

The possibility has definitely crossed my mind. I think it’s too early to say for certain, but… Stoneheart is a tiny role and it may not be worth Michelle’s time/HBO’s money to have her reprise the role. I could see another actor doing it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to keep her on board either.

29. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Crozyr,

Could be, but I’d rather they gave Beric and Thoros a few final lines where they make it clear that Beric is sacrificing his life ‘for the realm.’ I personally want the scene to play out like this:

- Show Cat being dragged by Nymeria onto the bank of the river
    (audience are really sad and are in mourning)
    - Zoom in on Cat
    - Hear voices, camera pans towards Thoros and Beric standing over Cat
    (audience is like “Holy shit…are they going to do what I think they’re gonna do?!” *tension*)
    - Beric and Thoros discuss, Beric goes against Thoros’s wishes and ‘for the realm’ and for Arya pays his life for Cat’s
    - Cat’s eyes open
    (audience is like “Holy fucking shit…this is awesome” *payoff*)

But don’t want to get my hopes up too much as there are many different ways they could go about doing it. I think the ‘magical’ aspect of it will certainly be emphasised.

30. Alen
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

I still have that heavy feeling in my heart because of the Red Wedding. It was acted and filmed and written beautifully. It’s one of the best moments in TV history. I honestly can’t believe I connected with these characters so much.

31. coronaking
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Will there be a review of the soundtrack on this site? :)

32. MRR
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure why people seem to think that the track title “For the Realm” indicates anything to do with The Brotherhood Without Banners. Sure, they fight for the benefit of the smallfolk and not for the warring lords, but I don’t think they’ve used the phrase “for the realm” before. And someone else certainly has: Varys.

33. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

MRR,

In a sense, you’re correct, as the BwB aren’t fighting for the realm. However, they are still fighting ‘in King Robert’s name’ and so by saving Cat, a Stark, it is as if they are contributing to the preservation of the Stark legacy.

All in all, there are a whole host of reasons for Uncat to be in the season finale, and if that’s the case, it makes complete sense for it to be the final scene. When it ends, the credits play, and ‘for the realm’ is even more appropriate.

I am a huge Varys fan but ending the season with him would make no sense. Thoros, Beric and Uncat on the other hand…to me it’s the perfect scene.

34. coronaking
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

MRR: I could be wrong—I have been many times before with my predictions—but I think the track might just be used over the credits for ep 10.

I think so, too. The length definitely fits. And “Mhysa” could still be played before that including the eye opening theory from Crozyr. Which would allow such a positive sounding, almost hopefull melody in the credits.

35. Alex Dubrovsky
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

If Michelle Fairley won’t be at least nominated for an Emmy, it will be a final proof that there’s no justice in this world.

36. arden
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Offtopic – Season 3 soundtrack is great, loving the “For the Realm” track

37. Nic
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Alex Dubrovsky:

Agreed. She was incredible.

That scream. I can still hear it :(

38. MRR
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

I wasn’t debating whether or not that scene would be in ep 10, only how that music might be used.

I just thought it was odd that people would point to the title of the song as evidence one way or another, since those words have nothing to do with the characters involved or the scene in question, nor is the music appropriate for that particular scene.

39. MRR
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

I also don’t think the bell sound at the end of Mhysa means anything. That track is Daenerys’s theme through and through—it certainly won’t be used for a “montage” of multiple characters—and the scene of Stoneheart’s revival will take much more than the few seconds offered by that bell sound to resolve.

Lady Stoneheart very well could be in the next episode, but I don’t think that we’re seeing any “clues” about it in the soundtrack one way or another.

40. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

MRR,

I see you point, but I was trying to show you how that phrase could be appropriate to those characters for that scene. The reality is, the scene is not described in the books, so what exactly Beric says before he dies is up for debate. However ‘For the Realm’ does evoke a sense of sacrifice which I suspect is relevant.

MRR,

I think it could signify the transition from the Dany scene to the Stoneheart scene, if Dany’s is the penultimate scene. However, you’re right that we shouldn’t read too much into it as by itself it’s not much evidence either way.

41. AJN
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Richard had an interesting choice of words in the RS interview…
    Until I see that episode, I won’t be able to put it all to rest, but once I see it I’m sure I’ll be able to send it down the river.
    Clever boy…

42. DjWeideman
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

After all the hand-wringing, hair-pulling & gnashing of teeth has died down somewhat, I think it’s the highest compliment possible to all involved in Game of Thrones, that so many people took the Red Wedding to heart so strongly.

How long has it been since another show so completely dominated the zeitgeist? Dan & Dave did exactly what they set out to do, and well done for sticking to GRRM’s vision. Also, just a nod to actor Michael McElhatton, who, as Roose Bolton, has had to lie low for two seasons before revealing himself as the snake-in-the-grass he is. Enjoy your new villain, Unsullied fans.

To Richard Madden, and, especially, Michelle Fairley, thanks for giving us characters to love and admire, even if they believed in foolish things like Love and Honor. Again, no higher compliment than to see how invested people were in them and were so affected to see them go.

P.S. I take back that part about the drama dying down. There’s still lots of Hodoring going on. And if Michelle Fairley doesn’t win an Emmy, *I’ll* be Hodoring.

43. DjWeideman
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

WheelofIceandFire:

This.

44. mpn1010
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Reading all of these interviews makes me realize just how much I’m going to miss these actors…perhaps even more so than I miss the characters from the texts, for in a sense, this is a DOUBLE loss: we not only lose Robb, Catelyn, and Talisa, but we likewise lose the wonderful talents of Richard, Michelle, and Oona.

One other thing that stood out is Michelle’s interview with Access Hollywood where she talks about the filming of the Red Wedding and her resisting the director’s instructions to “tone down” certain lines when the camera was not focused on her so that she could save her voice and her performance for her close-ups. In spite of this, she chose to push these lines because she wanted to give Richard something powerful to react to (thus allowing him to take his own performance further). This highlights what a giving and generous actress she is, and it likewise reinforces the importance of the dynamic that exists between both the ACTORS and the CHARACTERS. That’s something that you do not need to worry about or achieve in a text, and it adds to my respect for the process of television/film adaptation; it’s not simply about reciting lines on a page, but rather, it’s about building a scene by feeding off one another’s emotions. I think Richard and Michelle were both incredibly talented in this regard — while their most noteworthy scenes were with each other, they seemed capable of playing off ANYONE in the cast (e.g. Richard and Kit had such few interactions in Season 1 and yet the dynamic they built between Robb and Jon was so memorable and moving nevertheless).

45. VILLAIN
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

This is pretty much how I expect/ want it to happen.

Imagine Beric breathing life into a lifeless Catelyn just after muttering the words.. “For the realm”.

The music gets faster, louder (similar to Dany and the season 1 finale) as the camera pans from behind a collapsed Beric, over the dead body of Catelyn.

Music gets louder and faster as it slowly moves up Catelyn’s damaged body – time stops for what feels like an eternity as the camera is simply fixed on a close-up of her messed up face- the music the music in full pelt now and the BOOM!

Her eyes open.

See you in season 4!

46. donnana
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

When Benioff was on Craig Ferguson, didn’t he mention he watches every Sunday with his wife, an unsullied? If that’s the case, I’d love for someone to interview her!

47. Renley's Ghost
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Off episode topic here, but I just rewatched the Tyrion/Sansa wedding episode and realized that Joffrey admitted to being a Lannister. He whispers something to Sansa along the line of, ‘once my uncle passes out, I might come visit you. Another Lannister to share your bed with.’

Anyone else catch that or am I reading too deep into it?

48. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 4, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Renley’s Ghost,

His mom’s a Lannister. He has both the Lion of Lannister and Stag of the Baratheons as his personal sigil. Joff would never believe those foul ‘rumors’.

49. Delta1212
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 12:05 am | Permalink

donnana,

His wife is Amanda Peet.

50. Lord Of Lite
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 12:06 am | Permalink

I like the idea that the BWB are now the only ones that stand between the Lannisters total victory. It puts a new spin on what I read in the book. The war isn’t really over. The Lannisters start out on a mopping up tour of duty and run into a full scale flood. The Freys are going to be busy being systematically executed by the BWB and the Boltons are going to be busy fighting the Greyjoys and Stannis. The BWB are the only ones that stand between the tyrants and the smallfolk. I just hope Roose is eventually pushed to flee to KL for protection and runs into the arms of my Cold Lady. For The Realm is an appropriate description of the BWB mission.

51. Anne
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Draig,

It still haunts me also. The anguish, the sorrow, the grief, it was palpable. My stomach was already twisting, and then that scream, it sucked all of my insides out, and I felt empty inside.

52. Aaron
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 5:03 am | Permalink

Actors that leave a famous show should take the time to get in touch with their fanbase, especially right after they leave. They could use their temporary fame to make some $$$ and make fans happy with replies, etc.

I can’t think of one actor who did something independent after their job, instead of sit around, sulk and wait for a phone call for a job offer.

53. Croccifixio
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 5:55 am | Permalink

if Lady S wakes up next episode then the episode title “Mhysa” is really appropriate because a “Mhysa” is back wrecking vengeance.

54. Silverstormm
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Anyone in need of some humour after episode 9 watch this:
    Game Of Thrones Wish Fulfillment:

55. Juego de Tronos
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

very interesnting!

56. KG
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

sati,

You DO recall that Sean Bean kept a straight face through every single pre-show interview where they talked about him being the main character, right? They’re actors; they lie for a living.

57. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

Wow, she’s very pretty. I know I’ve seen her in tv shows and movies before. Bet their kids are adorable.

1. [...] perusing interviews with the cast in the wake of “The Rains of Castamere”, writer and editor Marc N. Kleinhenz came [...]