David Nutter discusses directing the Red Wedding on Huffington Post Live
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

David Nutter, who directed episodes 9 and 10 of season 3, was interviewed on Huffington Post Live tonight, where he talks about the Red Wedding and teases the season finale. Joining him were Jacob of HBO Watch and Elio of Westeros.org, both of whom have a chance to ask a question of David near the end of the segment.

Winter Is Coming: Pretty interesting interview. I like hearing from the directors as they offer a slightly different perspective than the cast or writers.

1. GeekFurious
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

I watch. I ask question ’bout YouTube vid. I get satisfying answer.

I… Hodor!

Also, Frodo lives.

2. Valyrian
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

lol Frodo lives

3. Kingslayer
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

“you get to see where Bran is headed”

Very non-specific but I hope this means Coldhands!!

4. outdoorcats
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

“No more Hodoring!”

I don’t really mean that, that should just be our obligatory follow-up to ‘Hodor’ posts now. :)

5. Colty
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

I’m getting to the point where I can’t stand Elio and his negativity about the show. He’s a real downer for absolutely no reason. I guess that’s what happens when you spend years

David Nutter seems like an awesome guy. I love how he quoted Winnie the Pooh…genius

Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Colty:

Are we going to hate on Elio every time he is mentioned in a post? He didn’t even say anything bad about the show in this, he just asked a question. Let’s not turn this into another “bash Westeros.org” thread, please.

7. Colty
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I have nothing but love for Westeros.org. I guess I’m just still irked about Elio’s recent review. You’re right…this is not the correct thread for this discussion. I apologize

8. WildSeed
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Dear spirits, what a find. I will have to give a listen to the 40 min interview
    at another time, but thank you for posting this WiC (!)

Posted June 5, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

So awesome to hear that GRRM was happy with the scene.

Posted June 5, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Really interesting interview. Enjoyed the whole thing. Shame Nutter won’t be back in Season 4, but he’s already talking about Season 5 which is great!

11. Turncloak
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Sucks that we won’t see David Nutter next season. He is such a fantastic director

12. Butterbumps
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Really? I actually thought he said he’s going to take a break and coming right back to be involved with Season 4. He’s a fantastic director.

If he’s not coming back though, hopefully he (and Alan Taylor) will kick down the door in Season 5. I guess the show will need them at that stage.

13. MRR
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Butterbumps:

When asked if he was going to return for Season 4, he said that he was going to take a break, so that if he should return to GoT he can give it 110%. That, to me, implies no Nutter in season 4, but possibly in later seasons. He directed my favorite episodes in season 2 (my view is that Theon executing Rodrik was better than anything in Blackwater) and his work on Rains was amazing. I’m sad to see him go!

14. Summer Is Coming
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 3:44 am | Permalink

- David Nutter is an awesome guy; he likes Winnie the Pooh; he knows “Talisia”..; episode 10 will be incredible; He won’t be back for S4, but hopes to return in S5; and Elio really has a problem with D&D…

15. mags giantsbabe
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:44 am | Permalink

I haven’t watched this video yet, but just looking at the technical achievement of Queen’s Crown is amazing too. It was the little things that made it successful, like Jon hitting his sword against the rock to warn the horse breeder they were coming. And the eagle was not cheesy. Did anyone notice how it was literally tearing a piece of flesh off Jon’s face at one point? The tension in both events were built up very well. Walder naming all of his daughters is one of my favourite scenes (Sarah and Serah!) Also how Bran and Jon’s stories came together was well handled. Great to know he’s already talking about season 5.

16. GeekFurious
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 5:19 am | Permalink

Colty:
    Winter Is Coming,

17. b1narys3rf
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Nutter is for me in the absolute top rank of GoT directors. I was thrilled when he was announced for the last 2 eps this season due to his stellar work on 206, which featured the taking of Winterfell. He’s so good at intense and complex drama. I hope he’ll return sooner rather than later!

18. Jon
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Hey atleast Elio has bothered to read The Red Wedding

19. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Great to hear how confident he is about Episode 10. There are going to be some amazing moments!

20. GeekFurious
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Jon:
    Hey atleast Elio has bothered to read The Red Wedding

It would make him a really crappy authority on the books if he hadn’t.

21. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:27 am | Permalink

GeekFurious: It would make him a really crappy authority on the books if he hadn’t.

22. Rhys
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:43 am | Permalink

He’s going to “break bread” with George?

Uh-oh.

23. Unbowd UnbentUnHodor
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:48 am | Permalink

If everyone had the set mind frame of keeping the books and tv show separate the world would be a better place. I stopped comparing the books and tv show and I find I enjoy the show better

24. Kessell
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Can’t say i agree with all the David Nutter love. I find all of his episodes to contain a lot of “flash-from-one-face-to-another” by which i mean that the camera keeps going from focussing on one face to the next. There are very few scenes with dialog that just show us all the characters in the scene interact from one or two perspectives. It’s a small nitpick but it gets a bit anoying, especially when watching a second time. I think two good example of this from 3.09 are the bit in the twins once Walder has inspected Talisa and Bran&co in the tower. Or from 2.07 the scene in Robbs war tent.

25. Omar Brown
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

GeekFurious: Ditto. As a book fan, I love Elio and Westeros.org. As a show fan who isn’t consumed by a need for the show to fit my exact expectations, I find him and his site to be the Red Wedding of this fandom.

Elio ain’t that bad, Linda on the other hand…..

26. biobi
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

The interviewer is awful. “What made you decide to put that scene in?” really? he’s the director not the writer. ugh.

27. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Nutter did let out a spoiler though….he said in ep 10 we’d be visiting with the Lannisters where they react to the Red Wedding and their role in it. My prediction from an earlier thread was that Jaime will arrive in KL (guessing this from the one shot of him in the preview) . Also that Cersei and Tywin will be happy and crowing and Tyrion and Jaime will be incensed and disgusted by their sister’s and father’s glee. It will be one of the first important wedges between Cersei and Jaime (other than his missing hand, which I predict that Cersei will be less than empathetic about).

28. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

biobi,

I don’t think the interviewer was awful because she did ask some other more correct and insightful questions. But, yeah, that was a dumb question.

29. Negan's Iron
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Colty,

Elio is who D&D are referring to when they talk about “the fundamentalists”. Any and every change from the source material, no matter how necessary or sensible, is viewed as blasphemous.

30. Adam Whitehead
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Summer Is Coming:

Nutter also directed most of the really good episodes of THE X-FILES, really helping put that show on the map in its first few seasons. He’s been around for quite a while and is definitely one of the better TV directors out there.

That said, I was really impressed with Alex Graves as well this season.

31. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how they handle Jaime arriving back in KL

But yeah, I think Mhysa has the potential to be almost as good as The Rains of Castamere (in a completely different way of course).

32. BelwasBlues
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I keep wondering if we will discover that the honeypot theory is true and Talisa was killed because of the baby.

33. Stannis
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

I honestly thought he managed to make the red wedding as breathtakingly tragic as the ending of 6FU and some of the climaxes in The Wire. That is no damn small feat.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor: I think his point is that Linda hasn’t read that part of the books. Which is pretty pathetic considering her role in Westeros.org.

Linda also just appeared in some article online, as part of a “panel of experts”, discussing the Red Wedding scene and how it differed from the books. Even though she hasn’t read it. LOL!!!

35. MVD
    Posted June 7, 2013 at 2:36 am | Permalink

Thanks for posting this interview. I really like hearing from people (in addition to) the actors and writers about how all of this comes together, and what their experiences were.

36. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted June 7, 2013 at 7:11 am | Permalink

Lex,

Lol, it’s ok though. She probably didn’t watch the episode either. ;)

37. sean
    Posted June 8, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

WTF was going on with the audio in that last interview? sounded like some idiot in the background was doing dishes in the middle of an interview with a world-famous director.

That was pretty embarrassing.