Episode 30 – Mhysa – Newbie Recap
By Winter Is Coming on in Recap.

Sandor and Arya

Oz of Thrones provides his final newbie recap of this season. Read on for an Unsullied’s take on last night’s season three finale.

Spoiler note: The discussion in this post is primarily for non-book readers (book fans can discuss the show here). We ask all the series veterans to refrain from posting spoilers in the comments here, veiled or otherwise. This show is best viewed without knowing all the surprises beforehand, so please be respectful of your fellow fans. Thank you!

Oz of Thrones:  The final Unsullied Episode recap of the year is here!  Read it slowwwwwwwwly.  It will be a while before we get another one.

It is quite hard to wrap my head around the fact that Season 3 is already over.  I know it’s cliché, but it honestly seems like a few short weeks ago when I was preparing to write my very first newbie recap of Episode 21 for WiC.  Time flies when you are having fun I guess, and this season has been quite extraordinary for a number of reasons.

Yet, here we are and if you are like me, you are wondering what we are going to do for next nine and half months.  Football anyone?  Another post perhaps.

Alright, we have a lot to cover, so do that to me one more time…….

Flay and Frey:  We open up with the continuing slaughter of the Stark men at the Twins, and a gruesome wolf head attached to Robb’s body.  I hope Walder Frey dies a very slow  and torturous death one day.  The Hound wisely grabs a Frey banner and rides out with Arya.  We find out that Edmure is in the dungeon but the Blackfish somehow escaped.

Later on, the truth is finally revealed that Walder was dealing with the Lannisters and Bolton was doing the same and was named the Warden of the North.  Of course, this was all very predictable after the way in which the RW went down last week.  It was still quite interesting to hear the two converse about it including how Frey seems to have felt disrespected over the years and Bolton mentions Robb consistently ignoring his advice.  And then, finally, there was another reveal…..

Pork Sausage:  Our Theon torturer is in fact, Bolton’s bastard.  His name is Ramsay.  And the guy is a freaking lunatic.  I felt somewhat guilty for laughing during this scene given what Theon has endured this season, but Iwan Rheon plays the role of Ramsay pretty damn convincingly.  Theon requests that our Boy just kill him, but I think we all knew he wouldn’t.  The question is, how much longer can this go on?

Balon?  Yara?  Is that you?:  We head over to the Iron Islands where Balon received a letter from Pork Sausage stating that all Iron Born must leave the North or more pieces of Theon will be sent to him.  Oh, and there was the box that Yara opened with that important piece of Theon enclosed.  In fact, it was so important that Balon didn’t think it was worth the time or effort to go save his only surviving son.

Admittedly, the Greyjoys are not my favorite characters.  However, I really like that Yara stood up to old man Greyjoy and set off with 50 of her best soldiers to get her brother back.  I think this will set up an interesting story line for next season and maybe a great battle between the Boltons and the Greyjoys.

The Half Man:  We see Tyrion and Sansa becoming better acquainted with an unhappy Shae following behind as they discuss putting dung in mattresses.  Their prank-induced conversation is interrupted by brothel favorite Podrick Payne who tells Tyrion that a meeting of the small council had been called.

As expected, the meeting was called to announce that Robb and Catelyn were killed at the wedding.  Tyrion was not amused, especially when Joffrey tells them all that he will serve Robb’s head to Sansa.  One of my favorite aspects of this season has been the handful of instances when Tyrion stands up to Joffrey, although I fear it may one day get him killed.  But Joffrey wasn’t done…

Paw Paw Hand vs. Grandson King:  Joffrey either has balls of steel or is a complete idiot.  After Tywin makes a statement about winning the war for Joffrey, Joffrey foolishly returns serve at Tywin about hiding under Casterly Rock when his father (Robert) won the real war against Rhaegar.  Tywin then reminds the boy King who the boss is and tells him it’s his night-night time.

I have been predicting a power struggle between these two for some time now.  Paw Paw is running the show.  Joffrey doesn’t like being told what to do.  This story line between the two intrigues me and I am really fascinated to see how this struggle turns out next season.

In a related incident, Shae is approached by Varys who offers her diamonds to leave King’s Landing and to end the danger that her presence has on Tyrion.  Since the two can never be together, Varys insists that she move on and live a happy life elsewhere.  Shae declines which is a decision I believe will come back to haunt her and the half man later.

Bran and the Echoing Hodor:  Pure one word comical genius as Hodor “Hodors” which echoed through the Nightfort and House Oz.  Bran and company make it to the abandoned castle to take shelter and are awakened in the middle of the night by none other than Samwell Tarly. Gilly and Baby Sam.  This was a great scene as Sam and Bran realize they know each other through Jon.  Sam shows Bran how to get north of the wall and gives them all dragonglass to use against the White Walkers.

Later, Sam and the fam make it to Castle Black and meet with Maester Aemon who allows Gilly to stay after being told about the White Walkers.  The Maester directs Sam to send every Raven they have to every corner of Westeros with word about the White Walkers.

Davos and Gendry:  Davos pays a visit to Gendry in the Dragonstone Inn where they realize they are both from the same neighborhood.  As a result, Davos risks his own life and frees Gendry when he discovers that Stannis and the Red Woman will sacrifice him.  Davos is sentenced to death by Stannis only to be saved by Melisandre after receiving the letter about the White Walkers and apparently seeing a vision in the flames.

Thank you Davos.  I am not ready for Gendry to die.  Speaking of almost dying….

Dammit Jon Snow!:  Pay attention.  You are lucky she didn’t kill you, because I totally believe she could have.  Instead you got arrows in non-vital areas.  I am glad she still apparently cares about you.  Otherwise we might have been reading your curtain call this week.

I was happy to see Jon make it back to Castle Black safely.  Now, we have to wait for Mance to light the biggest fire.

Jaime:  The odd couple (Jaime and Brienne) make it to King’s Landing.  Jaime appears in Cersei’s room where they exchange an awkward stare at his missing hand.  Although it is needless to say this, I will anyway……… I had high expectations for a scene with Jaime being reunited with Cersei and/or the rest of his family, and this was a let-down in my opinion.  I don’t know if Season 4 will pick up right where this left off, but I am willing to bet that when we get back to the show, Jaime will be clean cut and fully recovered from his travels.

Mhysa:  See overall thoughts below.

Episode 310 Personal Awards

Favorite Scene:   The small council scene had some great dialogue, and I will always be left wanting more Tywin, Tyrion, and Joffrey in the same room.

Favorite Action Scene:  Arya stabs a Frey bannerman after she hears him bragging about the killing of Robb.  Then the Hound destroys the rest of them.

Favorite Quote:  “You just sent the most powerful man in Westeros to bed without his supper.” –Tyrion to Tywin in regards to Joffrey

Favorite Quote #2:  “Next time you’re going to do something like that, tell me first!”  -The Hound to Arya

Overall Thoughts:  As a whole, I really enjoyed this final episode.  There were enough questions answered to fill my need with enough questions left to keep me wishing for the next nine and half months to pass quickly.  Ozzette pointed out that this episode did not have that “big moment” like the other season finales have had in the past (the hatching of the dragons at the end of Season 1; Sam and the White Walker army at the end of Season 2), and I agree with her.  But I will admit that I wasn’t expecting a huge finish,  probably because I knew that this season ended at around half of the third book (was I supposed to know that?  did someone spoil me?).

With that being said, I was really left underwhelmed by the final scene with Dany.  It was a beautiful scene with the dragons and the army, and when she is held up at the very end with all the hands reaching toward her, it definitely looked neat (although it somewhat resembled crowd surfing at a music festival).  I guess I just failed to see the magic in the moment.  While liberating thousands from Yunkai is a great accomplshment, I am just not sure how it will contribute to her story line later on.  But as many of you have pointed out before, we are the Unsullied and we know nothing.

Even with the Jaime let-down and the ending Dany scene, I still thought the finale was great.  It definitely gave me some food for thought for a Looking Forward Season 4 if you guys and gals are interested and a man is fortunate enough to get to stay on with Winter and the Gang.

What did all of you think about the finale?  Shoot me your thoughts in the comments.  And remember….. NO SPOILERS HERE!  We are the Unsullied non-book readers.  Keep us that way!  Oz thanks you in advance.

Personal Note:  I just wanted to take a minute and say a few words to the great readers of WiC and the wonderful people that run this site…… Thank you all for allowing me to be the newbie recapper and Looking Forward guy for this season.  I know that many readers are accustomed to the regular writers here as you should be…. each one of them are excellent at what they do.  As a new writer on the site, I did not know how open the readers would be to an unheard voice.  To my surprise, the vast majority of you embraced me.  It is quite an honor to love a series like GoT and be able to share my thoughts and views with you all on a weekly basis, and even more of an honor to receive the feedback and participate in the discussion that we all shared throughout the season.

I do believe that WiC is one of the best sites on the internet.  And I do believe that WiC readers are the most passionate and intelligent of any internet community in existence.  You’re damn right I am biased, and I have no shame about it.  You guys and gals are awesome.

So, again, thank you!!  You put up with my silly predictions, the crazy halftime show, and all of the other weird shit I did this season.  And then you asked for more, which means that you are all likely crazier than I am.  Cheers my good friends!  I sincerely hope to stay on and provide more!

Post-Season party at my place….. BYOB.  Ozzette and I will provide complimentary pork sausage.

Most importantly, may there forever be peace in your realm.  -Oz

1. Treasonbeard
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Hodor?

2. Evil erik
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Hoooooooodor **echoes**

3. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Excellent recap as usual Oz.
    What about Arya’s scene? That was my favorite – finally her first kill. I want Arya to kill Tywin (because I think Tywin will kill Joffrey) LOL
    Arya’s scene hinted that she is on the path of becoming a professional hitman, like Jaqen. I cant wait.
    I agree with you about the Dany scene – it was nice to see her as a such a loved leader, but I feel like something bad is going to happen next season :( also I want more action bring her close to Westoros
    And also – Bran’s scary story – about killing a guest in your home – and then showing walder frey in the next scene – I was really hoping for Frey to choke on his breakfast.
    I too was disappointed with the Brother Sister reunion at KL… as much as that relationship grosses me out LOL

Please come back OZ.

4. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Great last recap Oz. We do enjoy your new voice on this site, and you’re sully predictions are some of your best writing (looking forward to one last round).

Were you as surprised as me that both Jon and Sam got back to castle black? They are gonna need to work together to rally the Seven Kingdoms against the night and I how Jon’s parentage won’t hurt them.

I was also surprised to see Jaime reunite with good sister, and it seems like everyone but Arya is getting home. Thus really will change the game going forward.

5. BrendanSnow
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Oz,

I’d just like to say, I’ve really enjoyed reading your newbie recaps and previews this season, even as a book reader. It’s fun to hear from “unsullied”, how they feel about the show and where they think it’s going. Great work this season, and hopefully we see you back here for season 4.

6. draw
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Ha, newbie at The Atlantic thought the Bolton bastard reveal was predictable too. Though apparently people are saying the way the whole Ramsay thing happens in the books is cooler? Not really spoilery… http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/06/game-of-thrones-hectic-morally-complex-crowdsurfing-season-finale/276696/

7. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

I was super surprised actually. And when Jon was shot with an arrow, I freaked out and I swear I would have stopped watching if he died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do you mean his parentage??

8. Mike
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Oz,

Keep writing at this site.I love perusing the Unsullied recaps because there is too much annoying vitriol going on on the Sullied page and I’d love to hear your season 4 predictions!

Btw, at least Robb and Grey Wind are together forever and ever…

9. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

OH and Arya seeing the wolf on Robbs body, and Sansa sitting by the window crying.. WOWWWWWWWWW that was heartbreaking :( poor girls..

10. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

It really has been a delight reading your posts this year, Oz! I for one hope to see you back for season 4!

11. Ser Tahu
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Another great recap, thank you Oz! And if you return next year, will you take on the words of one of the great houses as your name, like all of the other contributors?

12. Illuminatus
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Oz,
    Many thanks for thoughtful and entertaining write-ups this season. You have done the House of Oz proud. (PS: what is the sigil of House Oz, BTW?) As one of the Sullied, it’s still always a great deal of fun to read your take on things for show-only folks. They’re lucky to have you. See you next season!

13. GeekFurious
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Hodor… hodor… odor… dor… or…

Also, Frodo lives.

14. Friend Of fire
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

See you next season

15. johnnytata
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

my favorite spots on this site. you are a great, down to earth writer, very accessible, but never dumbing down, great sense of humor, humility.

looking forward to more during the offseason and going forward. the more from you the better in my opinion.

also, the responses to your posts far outweigh the responses to the reader-recaps. you have a great following, including the book readers, who by and large have much more rational views here. the real gem is the unsullied comments. the innocence of virginity!

16. BlackTalon
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

17. Arkash
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I hope you come back regulary here, Oz ! I want to read your speculations for next season, or your thoughts if you do rewatches.

18. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

gosensgo,

Even though he isn’t considered a Stark proper, I am a little worried that people like Bolton, Frey, and whatever Lannister is left standing will be unhappy to see the soon of Ned leading the Watch like he was being groomed to do.

19. telobsidion
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Thanks, Oz.

20. Andy Gavin
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Overall, this was a solid episode with some good scenes, but the sheer breadth of handling every narrative thread left many of them feeling a little thin. I was also surprised we didn’t see the return of that other mother — next year I guess, for a lot of stuff. This was a great season, and it contains some of the scenes from the books. I think it solved the main season 2 problem of over-compression, allowing for more character moments, and upped the visual ante so that things felt big (gigantic for television even). Nicely done. Even if there were a few cheap outs — sacking of Yunkai! Given that GOT is now HBO’s second biggest show ever (after the Sopranos) we can hope season 4 is even bigger! As always, my detailed thoughts on the episode can be found on my blog.

21. Dark Star
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

The post directly above mine needs to be deleted. How clear can they make it for you, idiot? NO SPOILERS in this thread.

ETA: Someone deleted it already. Good job WIC mods!

22. Michael C
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Oz, your writeups are something to look forward to every Monday, hopefully you do get to keep up the good work!

One thing I think was important about the Varys/Shae scene with the diamond offer is that Shae believes Tyrion sent Varys to buy her out of the city; this (misconception?) I think will have ramifications.

Or if Varys is being compelled to do this by someone else (or a danger he sees to Shae/Tyrion and is being kind) certainly a big deal for the next season.

23. Blackeyedlily
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I believe there will be much more to Jamie reuniting with his family. He may be cleaned up and in better garb, but many interesting conversations and catch-up scenes will take place in Season 4.

24. Just A Random
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Wow, no dic* in the box jokes eh? Missed a brilliant low hanging fruit joke.

Also, if this is spoilery don’t answer, but is ramsay snow related to Jon Snow?

And wow, can’t wait to see ygrittes valentine’s day card to Jon. Awkward right? “sorry I’m not sorry bout those arrows ya dumb crow”

25. Just A Random
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Mike:
    Oz,

Keep writing at this site.I love perusing the Unsullied recaps because there is too much annoying vitriol going on on the Sullied page andI’d love to hear your season 4 predictions!

Btw, at least Robb and Grey Wind are together forever and ever…

Lol. Cold. Blooded.

26. JamesL
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Just A Random,

No, he is a bastard born in the north and all bastards born in the north have Snow as their last name.

27. Matt
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

That’s rhe problem I think everyone has with the finale, there was no omg moment. No holy shit balls moment to end the season. Like at all. We had dragons, white walker armies and… Dany crowd surfing. Lame. The test of the episode was great, but a lame end ruined the overall impression from most viewers

28. ANiceChianti
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

1) Was it clear that that was Grey Wind’s head, and not just a random wolf’s head? The size seemed like a dead giveaway (no pun intended). All the more heartbreaking that Arya had to see that.

2) “Jaime will be clean cut and fully recovered from his travels.” Oh those Lannisters, with their powers of regeneration. Their sigil should be a sea star instead of a lion!

Just teasing.

29. Dark Star
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

BlackTalon: The Hounds admonishing Arya to tell him first before “the next time” is now one of my favourite quotes too! Seems like many people didn’t pick up on the bleak, dark inadvertent humour that is so very Sandor Clegane. His world is so dark and full of shit there seems nothing unusual to him about a girl murdering a man, he just wants her to keep him informed …

Yep, I loved that. I wonder if the Hound will be teaching Arya some skills?

30. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Just A Random,

Nah, no relation. Remember, Jon Snow is the illegitimate soon of Ned Stark. Because he is illegitimate, he is denied his fathers name and titles and instead given a name that is associated with the winter that Northerners Ste always warning about. Bolton’s illegitimate soon gets the same treatment.

31. wargsareawesome

Westerlands (Lannister): Hill
    Reach (Tyrell): Flowers
    Iron Islands (Greyjoy): Pyke
    Stormlands (Baratheon): Storm

32. miss r
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

gosensgo, I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought Jon Snow was killed by that first arrow! I was all “Whaaa, a spoiler I actually managed to avoid?!”

33. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

Oh no…… that makes me worry for Jon.
    UGhhhhhhhhhhhh Dany, Arya, and Jon are the ones I want to live until the end of this story. :(

34. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

miss r,

hahahaa I know right. That would’ve been just plain MEAN

35. Lady of Highgarden
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Oh great, I’m not alone! I thought it was just the book purist in me freaking out over the Cersei/Jaime scene, but if it was unsatisfactory to the unsullied as well then it really was bad.

36. Gemma
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

me too. they have to live till the end!!!

as a completely unsullied i have to say that i loved this season and the finale. ok the ending wasn’t as great as season 1 and 2 but after the horrible red wedding i wasn’t expecting something shocking again. so i’m very fine with the ending with Dany. i think the music and the final shot were made beautifully.

37. Voot
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

the point of the Dany scene at the end was to show the transition of her to an almost religious figure to these freed slaves, and next season, we will see the implications of this

38. Mr. Lemoncloak
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

great recap, than you for your unsullied thoughts!

39. Just A Random

Dorne (Martell): Sand
    Vale (Arryn): Stone
    Westerlands (Lannister): Hill
    Reach (Tyrell): Flowers
    Iron Islands (Greyjoy): Pyke
    Stormlands (Baratheon): Storm

Ohhh. Ok, thanks. I’m afraid to Google / look for info bc invariably I run into spoilers.

Thanks all for the help, good to know.

40. ANiceChianti
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I felt okay with where they ended the Cersei/Jaime thing. I got the feeling of so much looming over their heads (and that of the rest of their family) that a portion of a 70 minute show would not have done justice to it all. Save it for the story-building episodes early next season.

41. Just A Random
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

To echo (Hodorrrrrrrrrr) everyone else. I thought the Cersei and Jaime reunion would be more emotional. Something more than a staring contest between Cersei and a stump. Hey Cersei, you can’t win that contest. For two people who really set this chain of events in motion I would have thought this monumental moment would have more juice. Instead the season is over and ends on a bit of a whimper.

Good episode, not great.

42. Becky Wilson
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I’ve been a follower of WiC since near the beginning, and I have to say I -love- the Unsullied. One of the joys of this book is sharing it with others, and to see someone experiencing things for the first time warms my heart. And you’re hilarious.

Is Ozzette interested in writing? I’d be very interested to see an Unsullied woman’s perspective ;) Thank you for your contributions this year!

43. dizzy
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Great job Oz. I enjoy the newbie recaps more than any other types of recaps.
    BTW (SEC fan?)

44. msd
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Oh don’t worry, Sullied and Unsullied alike aren’t keen on that last scene. :)

The finale fell flat because it was a re-hash of what we got with Dany at the end of the first season and earlier this season when the Unsullied accepted her. Dany is triumphant, the grateful masses embrace/worship her, pan out to CGI crowd, rousing music. Been there, done that. Kind of hard to get excited about seeing it a third time.

Vengeful Arya embracing a dark path, Sam and Bran meeting, everything with Davos and seeing Maester Aemon again were my personal highlights.

p.s Have enjoyed your posts. These threads are always a bit calmer.

45. Chris
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

BlackTalon,

And no one is mentioning that just after he killed 3 men and splatter their blood all over everything, he goes to sit down and finish their dinner. That was the best little detail in the scene.
    Dark Star, I don’t know that the Hound has a lot of skills other than being 2 feet taller than everyone else. Yes, he knows how to use a sword, but I don’t think he thinks about the skills part of it like Arya’s mentors from the last 2 seasons. Still, would love to see Arya’s list get shorter rather than longer.

46. wargsareawesome
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Just A Random,

not a problem, happy to help

47. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear:

Thank you kindly Fear.

Yes, very surprised. But very happy they both made it there alive. It was good to see someone reach a safe place at the end of the season. Or safe for now I guess…. I can only assume Mance and the Wildlings will be there soon (or in ten months or so).

48. Tormund Thunderfist
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

gosensgo:
    What about Arya’s scene? That was my favorite – finally her first kill.

She killed the stable boy back in King’s Landing, remember.

49. Delta1212
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Confession: At the start of the season my reaction to your first post was “Wait, why is there a different newbie recapper and why isn’t his name a House motto?!”

Which was, of course, silly of me. Over the course of the season your posts actually turned into my favorite newbie reviews.

Sepinwall and Larry were always my favorites, but my enthusiasm for Larry waned with his enthusiasm for the show, and Andy Greenwald actually passed Sepinwall over the course of the season for reviews I enjoyed reading, but yours blew passed all of them to be the review I most looked forward to reading.

Great job.

50. HodorsBrotherHodor
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Any episode with Hodor Hodoring down a well to hear his echo is a good one. That’s all the recap that’s needed.

51. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Tormund Thunderfist: Sandor asks if that’s the first man she’s killed. She replies “The first *man*”.
    She killed the stable boy back in King’s Landing.

I remembered that too and was a little confused when she said that. But, I guess there is indeed a difference between boys and men.

52. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

That is one hell of a compliment Delta. Thank you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but I appreciate the beauty your eye be holding.

Many thanks.

53. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Oz, I’ve come to really look forward to your posts. This is one of the few places on the internet to discuss and enjoy the show as it stands on it’s own, and frankly, it is refreshing as hell. So, thanks!

Frey and Bolton: Biggest douches ever. I watched that scene with my middle fingers raised as high as they could go to the screen. All the fresh blood being scrubbed off the floor made me so sad.

Ramsay and Theon: His greedy, nasty mouth noises as he devoured that pork sausage in front of Theon had me gagging. Iwan is deliciously good as the Bastard of Bolton.

Yara and Balon: What a good sister, and what a crappy father. Yara is sufficiently badass, and I am excited to see much more of her in season 4.

Sansa and Tyrion: Can I just say that it warmed my heart a little bit to see their lighter-hearted banter? And Shae’s “I just smelled a fart” face in reaction? Haha.

Small council: Seeing Joffrey bouncing around like a kid on Christmas morning got my blood pressure up, but Tyrion’s “Kill a few puppies today?” made me lol pretty hard. Tywin totally pwned Joff, as he always does. While Tywin was justifying killing 12 instead of letting 10,000 die in battle, the pragmatist in me saw his point and I wanted to slap myself. I was bracing myself for Tyrion having to break the news to Sansa about the Red Wedding, but we find out from her sad, puffy face that she already knew. Sniff.

Cersei and Jaime: Okay, this scene made me a little mad. He calls her name, she turns, they lock eyes, and then – CUT TO SOMEONE ELSE?!?! Dang you, D&D! Dang you to heck!

Arya and the Hound: I cannot believe she saw “Robbwind”, that was brutal. Heartbreaking stuff. Later, when she overheard a small group of Frey lackeys bragging about desecrating her brother’s corpse, my stomach tightened as she walked up behind the ringleader, and…. asked to keep warm by their fire? Uhm, okay… Cut to THE COIN! And then I was like, awwww yeahhhh! as she stabbed that mothereffer in the neck a hundred times. The Hound took care of the other three, but his line “If you’re going to do something like that, tel me first!” solidified this duo as one of my faves.

Bran and Co: Really enjoyed hearing “The Rat Cook” story, as it pertained to the ancient custom of guest rights, which I feel cleared up how completely and 100% NOT kosher the ambush at the Twins was. Also: “HODOOOOOOOOOR!!” Gets me every time.

Sam and Gilly: Holy character crossover Batman! It was so cool to see those two groups interact. Also, once S & G got back to Castle Black, the first line Sam utters to Maester Aemon (who I’ve missed!), “This isn’t what it looks like” as he stands there with Gilly and a tiny babe made me laugh (I take every laugh I can get in this show).

Jon and Ygritte: The look on her face is heartbreaking. And I’ve been that crazy scorned girlfriend who wanted to fire three non lethal arrows into her fleeing boyfriend. Sad times.

Dany and Co: The Mhysa scene felt like a tiny bit like a rock concert, sure. And it wasn’t the supernaturally tinged ending we have come to be used to with GoT. But that final scene when they panned way up high so you could see all of the newly liberated slaves that are now dedicated to her, PLUS the 8,000 unsullied – Things are going to get interesting next season, methinks. Girl’s got game.

Overall, great episode that left me salivating for more.

Thanks for a great season, see you in 10 months!

54. nocuzzlikeyea
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Chris,

The Hound is a good fighter beyond just his size. Remember he grew up with Gregor who outsized him considerably, and was an even match in overall sword fighting with Gregor at the Hand’s Tournament. His skill is the Westerosi style that emphasizes strength, not the Bravosi water dance style that Arya is trained in. He still can serve as a mentor due to his overall experience in killing things, similar to how he attempted to mentor/disillusion Sansa based on that experience.

55. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

dizzy:
    Great job Oz.I enjoy the newbie recaps more than any other types of recaps.
    BTW (SEC fan?)

Indeed. But I will watch any that are on (drives Ozzette nuts). And it helps pass the time between GoT seasons.

56. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Lyanna_Targaryen,

You’ve made me realize this may have been the funniest episode of the season. Tyrion’s remark about the puppies, Aemon’s remark about Sam’s vows, and especially the looks on Greyjoy faces as they read about Theon crying over the loss of his favorite toy.

But somehow, scenes with Jon and Cersei and Dany were able to make me forget I’ve been chuckling all episode thanks to some subtle but emotionally powerful acting.

57. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

WHats SEC??

58. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

Southeastern Conference. Off topic football acronyms.

How did you fare on the Accounting Designation exam?

59. Delta1212
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

Yeah, I had to google that because I didn’t think you enjoyed watching the Securities and Exchange Commission.

60. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Michael C,

Do you think that Tyrion put Varys up to it?
    Hadn’t thought of it like that. Wow, she will be majorly pissed if that is true.

61. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

What football league is that??
    im huge football fan. soccer and football.

ITS TONIGHT AT 6:30. dam GOT is keeping me distracted as I do some final reviews…… or try to!

62. Richard
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

That’s a great image of The Hound with Arya on the horse with the Frey banner for protection, The Hound looks sad, even the events of The Red Wedding touched “a killer” as himself. And Arya’s snuggled into him because he’s all she has.

63. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

LOL tooo funny. So funny you mention the securities and exchange commission as I study for my accounting designation exam tonight.

and OZ – I googled SEC – I only watch NFL and some college (major games)

64. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Richard,

SO very well said Richard…. that honestly made me cry

65. Josla
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Oz. I just want to add that I feel many storylines were left out and lacked therefore a closing of their arcs: Margaery, Loras, Grenn and Ed, Littlefinger and the brotherhood without banners were not mentioned ever again after their last appearance. That said I really loved the season finale, Daenerys’ story is one of my favorites and its always a treat to see her getting more and more followers every season.

66. Richard
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

The only problems I had with the episode was that I wanted to see what happened next without having to wait 10 months. :)

67. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Richard,

Amen, brother.

68. hey now
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Don’t have a problem with the lack of Cersei-Jaime reaction. The actors sold everything you needed to know: he’s back but not the same, uncertainty abound. The show easily could have fit in an embrace but chose not to, probably for good reason.

The Dany scene was far from underwhelming. You can see how unsettled the rest of her party is to see her off alone, and how much Dany revels in the hero worship going on. Shit’s definitely brewing there too.

69. Jombi
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Since I watched Hodor being scared to thunders, I can’t stop thinking about Hodor singing the thunder song with Ted, Although Hodor won’t say much!!!

70. JamesL
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

71. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Book readers are permitted to comment in a limited fashion in the newbie recap section.

They should refrain from posting anything at all from the books. The list of regional bastard names is spoiler-free and harmless in this instance, but in general, people should not post any info from the books like that.

72. Gemma
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Josla,

Dany is one of my favorites too so i had no problems with her ending scene, i loved it. now we have to wait sooooo loooong ;(

73. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Michael C,

Does she think Tyrion suggested this to Vary’s? That isn’t at all the impression I got. To me her reaction was as if yet another person was getting in the way of her relationship (which I guess is completely accurate). Shae knows that nobody wants to see then together, and I am glad she wants to stick it out because it shows she isn’t as concerned about Sansa as she had been.

Anyway, I kinda got the feeling that Vary’s wanted her as a spy in another land. I wonder what Vary’s does when people ignore his suggestions. I also wonder if Vary’s had any specific dangers he was warning about. Things aren’t looking to good for Shae, which is a shame because she isn’t even playing the game of throne but us still subject to the rule of you win or you die.

74. Darkstar
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Dear Oz,
    Although I have read the books, your recaps were always a pleasure to read and greatly reminded me of myself when reading these chapters. I sincerely hope we’ll see more of you in the future!

75. Targaryen
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Am I not the only person who didn’t like Robb Stark after he lied to Walder Frey? Frey stuck his neck out for Robb and could have been tried with treason by the Lannisters. But after Robb didn’t marry any affluent woman with title and the beheading of Carstark, he knew that Robb didn’t have any alliances worth a damn. He has to look out for the survival of his house.

Yeah, I agree with other posters. Jaime’s arrival to King’s Landing was very bland.

But I do think that this episode wasn’t as good as previous ones, but more like setting things up for the next season.

However, I did like the Tywin, Tyrion and Joffrey scences the best. And I even like the Varys/Shae scene.

Finally, I was expecting Danaerys to take a loss when she entered the sea of slaves. Why wasn’t Selmy at her side? Not a good Queensguard if you ask me.

76. Silverstormm
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Oz,

Great review as always, def hope to see you again for season 4, but until then, remember, winter IS coming; so beware of spoilers! :p

77. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

Don’t you think she did inadvertently enter the game by becoming Sansa’s handmaiden? To me, that was risky from the beginning.

78. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Darkstar,
    Thank you O Star that is difficult to see. I hope to bring them to you. Every time someone calls me a “sweet summer child”, I want to call them mom.

Silverstormm,

Thank you also Stormmmmmy. It is my duty to stay away from spoilery, and I shall do so from this day until my last day.

79. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I guess I’m in the minority liking the Jaime and Cersei scene. It felt more like a cliffhanger than an incomplete story. Obviously the events of the past 2 seasons will change things between them – but how?
    It’s pretty refreshing to read this after all the whining and bitching on the book reader recap. This post has taught us two things:
    1) There is near total agreement that the Dany scene was not the uplifting epic moment that D&D intended
    2) This does not ruin the entire episode/season/series and everybody is still eager to tune in next season.

Anyways, thanks OZ for your fun recaps and thanks Unsullied for being brave enough to come here. It’s always fun to see your perspectives.

80. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

what do you sullied argue about on the other post?? (on a general level not with specific examples)

81. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I DID like the Cersei/Jaime scene. I started tearing up, in fact. (yes, they are twins and it’s icky, but if you just take that part out of it, they have been each other’s only loves their entire lives). It’s the selfish girly girl in me that wanted a longer scene, but it played well. Upon a second viewing, it was the right thing to do.

82. Illuminatus
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Just A Random,

Bastards of nobles get regionally appropriate bastard last names:

The North — Snow
    Eyre — Stone
    Stormlands — Storm
    Riverlands — Rivers
    etc.

83. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

The reader recap is a cluster you-know-what. I will never read the comment section there again after this season because it’s mostly full of vitriol and snobbery (though not all commenters are, only 95%). Not what I go there for.

84. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

“It isn’t the books word for word, this show is awful, D&D are hacks waaaaahhhh”
    That is a common theme.

85. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    gosensgo,

That is a common theme.

In a nutshell, LOL.

86. Lady Mychelle
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Just A Random,

Ramsey Snow and Jon Snow are not related.
    they are both bastards of the North (Snow).

87. HodorHodorHodor
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

As a Sullied this will be my only post – I hope you come back to write this blog again next season. Great writing style and I just love the Unsullied perspective. This blog is one of my weekly Monday stops on the internet. Now on to football! :-)

88. David The Grey
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones said:

DtG says:
    I am looking forward to seeing how Jaime is portrayed going forward. I felt that his dirty beardy disheveled look really helped sell him as a changed man. His eyes look more soulful and contemplative than they did in Season 1. I wonder, if he shaves and cleans up, will he continue to have that look about him? It will be fascinating to see how much of that effect is from costume, and how much is from NCW’s performance. I’m suspecting the latter, and am so excited to find out next season.

These thoughts are based purely on the show. While I am a sullied, I am not a detailist and can’t remember what happens with Jaime when he gets back to KL. So no spoilers above, purely commentary about the show.

Gonna miss you Oz. I’ll be so happy if you stay on! Perhaps you could find other things to write about over the next 10 months? Impressions from past episodes maybe? Anything but football! LOL

Also, I want to second someone’s post about you being down to Earth. I really feel that WiC.net in general has always been this way. Maybe it’s harder to tell once the show really took off and the population here grew, but WiC, FaB, HMR and OitF have always been friendly, outgoing, and accessible. I think you fit in just fine. (And so did WDNS, whatever he’s got up to!) Kudos to this site in general.

Feels like I’m saying ‘bye’ for the summer, but 9 months is a long summer. And winter is coming.

89. Jemimus
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Thank you Oz for these recaps. A man appreciates them. valar dohaeris

90. Seriano
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Lyanna_Targaryen: Also, once S & G got back to Castle Black, the first line Sam utters to Maester Aemon (who I’ve missed!), “This isn’t what it looks like” as he stands there with Gilly and a tiny babe made me laugh (I take every laugh I can get in this show).

Only after saying that, he remembered that the Maester is blind…

91. mags giantsbabe
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Did anyone else (Sullied and Unsullied) pick up on Shireen telling Davos that Balerion had teeth “as long as bastard swords”? Significant…? Maybe… No? And just a couple of scenes before that Jon gets THREE arrows…. Mmmmmm.

Favourite scenes were Small Council, Bran/Sam, Bolton/Frey Ramsey/Theon, Jon/Ygritte, Stannis/Davos/Mel.

92. drunkenjuggler
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Yours have definitely been my favorite post-match analyses this season, looking forward to more next year, thank you!

93. mags giantsbabe
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Oh yeah, and Arya and the Hound :)

94. matt v.
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

i really liked the episode. Finally Bran has something to do, because his story has a lot of potential… Arya is a badass and i hope Sansa will be less naive… Jon Snow is ok(hope so), because he should take revenge for the killing of his family… I really like the story of Stannis, really interesting to hear the Red women warning him about the white walkers… I hope Cersei dont kill Brienne… Tywin powerfull as always (take that Joffrey!).
    Thank you Oz… u helped me understand the show better ;)
    Cant wait 10 months :(

95. gosensgo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Lyanna_Targaryen: In a nutshell, LOL.

HAHA I understand what you both mean! Wow – don’t watch the show if you don’t like how its made!!!

96. A wildling Bastard
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

i take it back.. one of my favourite episodes of the season. and a great season finale.. i wasn’t really impressed by the final scene with dany.. but after re watching, the scene grew on me.. i actually loved it as much as the other scenes! .. perfect episode, prepares you for next season.. .. finally.. i’m going to miss your recaps Oz..

wake me up when season 4 premiers ..

97. Just A Random
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I hope the Unsullied /newbie recaps continue. Great way to start a Monday.

98. Gemma
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

thanks for the amazing recaps Oz!

99. Lisa Y.
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Still traumatized by the direwolf head on Rob’s body. So very, very wrong. Made me hate the Freys even more.

Great recap, Oz. This was more an epilogue than a finale. After the shocks of last week, I can’t see how anyone would think that last night’s episode would even attempt to match it. I think it’s a testament to the lingering power of Episode 9, that people aren’t freaking out that a little girl deliberately planned to, and did, kill a man. Taken on it’s own, that’s pretty shocking. In the context of this show, the feeling is more like “About time”. The collective “yawn” over that scene is pretty fascinating.

I feel like Jaime’s reunion with Cersei, and her reaction, should’ve had a “To Be Continued” tag on it. If that was her reaction, imagine how Lord Father will react? My only regret with the finale is that we didn’t get to see that, unless they plan on picking up right where they left off. Does anyone else think that Jaime’s very low key, very humble, return to King’s Landing is an indication of where his character is heading next year?

100. I Know of Fear
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

David The Grey,

Jaime’s soulful/contemplative look surely comes from the actor, because he had that same look when he stood outside Robert’s room and discussed how it insulted his sister. For me that was a defining character moment in the first season, because other than that he hasn’t mentioned his sister at all in the show.

Oz of Thrones,

True, and Shae new exactly what she was getting into when she failed to convince Tyrion to run away from her after the battle of Blackwater Bay. But she has done her best to stay out of all the plotting and scheming, and I’m worried that she’ll end up as a “message” to Tyrion.

Lisa Y.,
    I don’t think there’s been a collective yawn over Arya (at least not from the unsullied). It’s more like people knew it was just the beginning, as has been foreshadowed for a while. And all of us seem to think the Hound’s line was awesome.

101. LordStarkington
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I’m glad you enjoyed the season, Oz, I have a feeling you’ll feel the same way (if not more so) after next.

102. trfhms
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

I don’t want to offend anyone because I really love WiCnet, but Oz has officially won as my favorite contributor.

I don’t know if it’s because I am “sullied,” but I really looked forward to your posts each week Oz! Thank you!

103. M
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Oz,

I love your recaps. As a fully Sullied reader/viewer, it’s so refreshing to get a ‘virgin’s’ perspective on things. It’ll be a long ten months, but it’ll be worth it.

104. Eor!
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe:

This is some of the farthest reaching I’ve seen.

105. dizzy
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones,

;) Go Aggies!

106. kalacakra
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

If it’s a spoiler please don’t answer but has it been made clear where Arya and the Hound are going?

107. Delta1212
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

kalacakra,

I don’t think so. I think they were just trying to put some distance between them and The Twins.

108. mags giantsbabe
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Do you really think so, Eorl? :D

109. Tiggersk8
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I won’t repeat what so many have already said, but I am surprised no one said anything about Cersei and Tyrion. I loved that as it shows not only my two favourites together again and I adore those scenes, but a real change between them. They weren’t sniping at each for once and Cersei let down her guard. The way she talked about Joffery, I think we’re starting to see her realize just what she’s unleashed and possibly starting to realize what will need to done.

That’s what I got from it at least.

Oz, I really hope you come back, as I have loved these all season.

Oh and… Joffery = Big time stupid!!

110. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

kalacakra,

Nope, hasn’t been mentioned where they are going. Last week I assumed the Wall, wasn’t the Hound headed there when he offered to take Sansa to Winterfell? But after they encountered men who left the Red Wedding I don’t know, because why on Earth would those men have gone North at a faster pace than the Hound and Arya?

111. David The Grey
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I Know of Fear:

Posted June 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

David The Grey,

I’ll have to rewatch that scene from Season 1. I didn’t really notice NCW emoting humility through his eyes until he was being tossed about by Locke’s gang. But I definitely felt it when he went into Cersei’s room, it was like “Here I am, please still love me….”. And I’m not sure what to make of Cersei’s looks – maybe she’s not sure herself. Darn good acting!

112. ibgraham
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

As a sullied I have to say my favorite reviews were the ones you wrote!! Loved readin ‘em! Cant wait for next year. To all the Unsullied out there!! The books are great but hold off on reading them if you can because the show offers such great surprises I wish I was unsullied for this season.

113. Assunta
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Mike:
    Oz,

Keep writing at this site.I love perusing the Unsullied recaps because there is too much annoying vitriol going on on the Sullied page . . .

This +

WIC – Oz has my vote to return and keep writing.

114. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

David The Grey,

Not so much humility as resignation. The look of a man whose ego revolves around a certain set of skills that he knows can’t be topped, but he is powerless to deal with the one thing he can’t stop thinking about.

Tiggersk8,

She has always been open with Tyrion, that is seen in the chemistry off all their interactions. But usually they snipe at each other in between keeping it real whereas this time they were both out of ammo.

115. Benjamin Wakefield
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

The Hound’s horse must be very slow if those Frey soldiers had time to kill the Starks, behead Robb and Grey Wind, stick the head on twice and parade it around, clean up, head out into the woods, build a fire and have a picnic in exactly the same spot that Arya and the Hound pass as they are fleeing the Twins. Or the Freys’ have borrowed Littlefinger’s teleporter.

116. Ed
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Oz, loved your recaps – look forward to them every week! Have a great off-season and we’ll see ya next year!

117. outdoorcats
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I agree that the Jaime/Cersei scene was too short. It didn’t bother me at first because I assumed it would be followed up with another scene later, but then the episode ended. It really did cut away too fast.

Also, they did such a great job building up Margaery and Lady Olenna this season I’m a little shocked the Tyrells were completely absent in the finale. Should have had a scene with them to set up whatever their storyline might be next season to make the season feel more well-rounded.

It was a great episode, but it’s the first finale that didn’t feel like a finale, with a couple of exceptions. When you compare it to Season 1′s ‘Fire and Blood,’ which was filled with high-drama resolutions and cliffhangers, classic scenes and awesome music, this episode felt very low-key in comparison. You get the sense that when Season 4 comes out, it should be sold boxed with Season 3, as “Season 3 Parts 1 and 2.” Even the last scene was too low-key, IMO – Djawadi came up with the suitably epic rendition of Dany’s theme (it’s called Mhysa on the soundtrack) but it was mixed too quietly into the background and the scene was too short to be as emotional as it should have been.

That said, I will defend to the death their decision to end with that particular scene, which is really quite beautiful and hopeful. It’s just I think in terms of execution, they should have dialed it up to 11 (Spinal Tap style!) emotionally. Then there wouldn’t have been that many complaints that there wasn’t and “WTF” moment at the end of the series–because we all would have been crying and stuff.

I’ve only listed my complaints here. My list of all the cool things about this episode is much, much longer (I just want to say, The Rat Cook is probably the creepiest bedtime story I will ever hear). It just didn’t feel like a ‘finale.’ This probably won’t even bother me that much when we finally get Season 4…but that feels soooooooooo farrrrrrrrrrr awayyyyyyyyyyyy.

118. OldGods>LordOfLite
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Matt,

Arya Stark, a child of like 12 or 13 shanked a man to death, prison style. That was an “oh dear god” moment for me, because it was incredibly brutal. It wasn’t the Red Wedding, and there weren’t cliff hangers (which, in hindsight would have been nice) but still very powerful.

119. Andrew
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

As a book reader, I’ve avoided commenting, but seeing as this is your final recap of the season, what the hell. I’ve read all of your recaps, Oz, and they’ve all been awesome! Here’s hoping we see many more from you in the future!

120. Porky
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Perhaps I’m reading too much into it, but I didn’t think it was a coincidence both Jon Snow and Daenerys were hoisted up in this episode. I think ICE and FIRE stands for those two characters instead of the coming war, so the imagery from those two scenes were significant, in my opinion.

121. OldGods>LordOfLite
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Eor!,

This is what I’ve picked up from the books: There aren’t any spoilers, rest easy.

The description of the dragon’s teeth being “as long as a bastard sword” refers only to the type of swords in Westeros. A bastard sword is in between a greatsword and a regular sword. Greatswords are swung with two hands and are quite large (think Ned’s “Ice”, and both swords of the Hound and the Mountain). Regular swords are at the other end of the spectrum and are swung with one hand. A bastard sword, which is ironically what “Longclaw” is–the sword that Commander Mormont gave Jon Snow–is between those two and can be swung with either one or two hands.

122. NOTABOOKREADER
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I believe the finale was boring and uneventful. The interesting thing that happened was the conversation at the small council and the Bolton/Frey interaction. Dany, Bran, Sam, and Ramsay/Theon was a waste of screen time. Yara/Balon was ok because it set up a future conflict. Gendry and Davos was boring also but setting up Stannis to go north seems mildly interesting. No real reaction to Robb’s/Catelyn’s death and of the Stark men. Everyone seemed to be like ‘ehh’. Jaime and Cersai was a major downer. They misplayed that situation. Overall, this was the worst season of the 3 with the exception of the major emotional drain of the Red Wedding. Not bad, but the worst of the 3 seasons so far. I hope season 4 gets back to business.

123. Red Viperette
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones, Just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work on WIC. I am sullied and it’s been a joy to read your posts and thoughts this season. Amusing, witty and clever, hope to see you back next year !

124. OldGods>LordOfLite
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Richard,

Well said. It’s both heart breaking and harrowing, as she finds comfort in the least likely of places. If you think about it, has anyone in the realm done more for House Stark than the Hound?

125. NathanG
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

gosensgo,

I loved the Arya scene! But didn’t she kill some kid near the end of season 1? Stabbed by needle if I remember right.

126. Vladimir Bolton
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

NOTABOOKREADER,

I absolutely agree. This is in no way supposed to be overly harsh criticism, but season 3 to me definitely is the worst of these 3 seasons. It only had two truly big episodes – 04 and 09 – whereas the rest was in equal parts great, mediocre and unfortunately at times a downright waste of screen time. That being said, even the “worst” season of GoT is still better than 99% of what’s on TV these days.

But I think the finale was symbolic for all of season 3… Lots of dialog that sometimes felt unnecessarily long and dull, which took away time from what should actually have been the epic scenes of this finale, e.g. the Jamie/Cersei reunion, the Sam/Jon reunion and the scene where Bran and the Reeds meet Sam and Gilly.

You just really feel that unlike season 1 and 2, this season only covered half of a book (or so I’ve been told). Now of course, since this show is supposed to run for a total of 8 seasons, I didn’t expect any story lines to really “conclude” at the end of this season, but right now all the story lines seem incredibly incomplete. And not incomplete in terms of a cliffhanger-ending, this positive sort of incomplete where you can’t wait to see the next season. But rather just incomplete. as if the season were to continue for at least 2 more episodes.

Anyway, given that the 4th season will then cover the 2nd half of the 3rd book, which naturally tends to be more exciting then the first half (at least I think so – after all, most books’ 2nd halves are more exciting than their respective first halves), I guess we’re in for an epic season 4, that’s for sure!

127. Michael274
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

NOTABOOKREADER,

I love how you have in caps not a book reader like that is supposed to make us believe it .

128. Michael274
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Vladimir Bolton,

Have you seen season 2 or did you just skipped to season 3 ? There were worse episodes in that season than this one .

129. John
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Well..
    D&D always wanted to make it to the Red Wedding and maybe that’s why the end of season 3 could also work as the end of the GoT series..?!

Many people got home (Jamie, Sam, Jon),
    noone is really in a dangerous situation right now (Bran and Arya are pretty well guarded),
    the war seems almost over (looks like the Starks have not only lost their leaders, but their entire army – the north must be pretty empty right now)
    and the end was more a “everything will be alright”-moment

But as Old Nan said (love that quote, especially with her voice from season 1)
    “Oh my sweet summer child.. what do you know about fear? Fear is for the winter [..]”
    And according to the Bran / Night’s Watch / Stannis story winter is coming!

130. DOC
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

I was really really hoping that they were going to play the For the Realm track at the opening credits. Alas, it wasn’t in the show at all.

131. Nagga's Kin
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

All in all, a good end to the season. It was never going to be quite as rousing as the first two because we’re in the middle of one of GRRM’s books at this point. Nevertheless, it did set up a number of storylines for season 4:

a) As if murdering Robb had not been enough, the Frey soldiers desecrated both his corpse and that of his direwolf, stitched together a monster and paraded it around. How horrific for Arya that she had to see that! Between that and Bran’s rat cook story clarifying that at least to the Old Gods, hospitality is not just good manners but an inviolable law, I hope Walder Frey and Roose Bolton have many a nightmare next year. It’s the least those backstabbing traitors deserve!

b) I liked how Arya lied to the Hound about the soldier being the first man she had killed. She had stabbed a boy in KL in self-defense, but her first murders were those Jaqen H’ghar had granted her. You don’t have to wield the knife yourself to be guilty. I also liked how unfazed the Hound was and of course, the whole “valar morghulis” bit.

c) Ygritte’s too good a shot to have missed Jon’s vital organs, she was clearly struggling with her emotions. Will those two ever face off again?

d) We finally learned that Sam took more than just one dragonglass weapon back from the Fist. Phew, you had me worried there, big guy! Bran’s insistence that he just has to go north of the Wall to do what Jojen said all the armies in Westeros could not was less than convincing, though. Also, the abandoned Nightfort’s exit to the North is just an open hole in the ice? In all their years of probing the Wall for weak points, the wildlings never discovered that?

e) Gilly is the only woman at Castle Black. With most of the Night’s Watch composed of young men recruited from the ranks of rapists and other criminals, what could possibly go wrong?

f) Jon Snow’s returned a bit worse for wear, didn’t he? Not a whimper when he fell off the horse or the others manhandled him, though. Yes, we’re supposed to believe he’s tough as nails but everyone has a pain threshold. Never hearing any wounded soldier scream in agony trivializes the necessary gore in GoT, as if we were watching some Tom-and-Jerry cartoon. I don’t take any pleasure in witnessing physical pain, but showing it from time to time would lend the various battles small and large more credibility and gravitas.

g) Balon Greyjoy finally confirmed that “boy” is indeed Ramsay Snow. I don’t know why the writers decided to pretend that was a mystery all season long after Robb had explicitly authorized Roose to let him relieve Winterfell. If they had set up some ambiguity for the true identity of “boy”, they really could have kept us guessing for a while. This way, the “mystery” felt as contrived as a bad soap opera. I also didn’t like how they used a voiceover to segway to the puerile sausage scene in which Theon got his new nickname Reek.

We also learned that Balon was quick to abandon his only remaining son Theon for disobeying his orders and for no longer being any use in the dynastic department. When Yara told her father she would rescue her brother, she too was defying Balon. That conversation ought to have ended with a vitriolic shouting match instead of yet another lame voiceover.

h) Some of the KL scenes seemed a bit off, others were great. Sansa’s sheep dung story didn’t add anything. Varys inadvertently led Shae to believe that Tyrion had asked him to get rid of her, which in GoT can only lead to tears – but whose? Perhaps the best scene had Tywin irrationally blaming his late wife’s death on Tyrion, echoing Cersei’s earlier sentiments. However, hearing him pat himself on his back for refusing to drown his misshapen infant son took that hatred to an entirely new level. Holy daddy issues!

By contrast, Cersei’s soliloquy on the small joys of motherhood was simply a rehash of an earlier scene with Sansa. Sadly, Jaime’s reunion with Cersei was perhaps the weakest scene of the entire episode: her horrified reaction to his disfigurement was too immediate, so it fell flat. She didn’t even smile at hearing his voice before she turned to face him.

i) I got a chuckle out of Davos using Shireen’s room as the office of the Hand of would-be King Stannis and also when he later lied to Stannis about who had taught him to read. It’s a good thing Melisandre decided she didn’t need Gendry to fight the White Walkers or Liam Cunningham would be getting his curtain call this week! Mind you, she did pinpoint Gendry’s location by looking into her flames before and could presumably do so again at any time. It also didn’t take much for her to convince Stannis the White Walkers were real and had priority over his quest for the Iron Throne, did it? He must know his snarks from his shadowcats.

j) The final scene with Dany felt very odd at first: having already won the battle, why would she and her 10,000 soldiers stand outside the gates all crossing their fingers the freed slaves inside would greet them as liberators?

Jorah explained almost in passing that our three musketeers had in fact not fought their way across the city to open the main gate, which had been the original plan. He implied they had somehow managed to convince the second wave of defenders – themselves slaves – that Dany’s mission was not conquest but abolition, so they had switched sides. I’d love to have been a fly on the wall for that crucial conversation last week. Instead, we got a tepid scene in which Dany ignored the victorious Jorah and Grey Worm in favor of smarmy Daario.

Even with that cleared up, Dany literally body-surfing the crowd seemed out of place, culturally speaking. What I did like was Emilia’s million-dollar smile, Ramin Djawani’s score for the scene and the final overhead power shot. We’ve had four of those before: in 1×01, the NW discover body parts arranged in a pattern, which we learned was part of a WW ritual for raising the dead. In 1×10, Dany births her dragons using a similar arranged pattern of fire around Drogo’s funeral pyre. Earlier in season 3, the WWs (“always the artists”) arranged body parts in spiral pattern after the battle at the Fist, for unknown reasons. And finally, we saw Dany and her army of Unsullied streaming out of the gates of Astapor in formation.

What differentiates the shot with Dany and the slaves of Yunkai is that the “magic” in this case was the liberated slaves’ love for her, which was strictly a result of her own convictions. She instructed her dragons to fly after the fact, but only in the sense that flight is a symbol of freedom. In truth, she had taken Yunkai without resorting to their fiery breath. This time, her new acolytes called her “mhysa” (mother), not khaleesi nor “blood of my blood”. In other words, she had managed to “reproduce” by sheer willpower. The flip side is that a mother can’t very well leave her “children” to fend for themselves. Surely, she cannot hope take them all to distant Westeros.

132. Oberyn
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Great review as always Oz, I look forward to reading these.

Also @ others, it wasn’t Arya’s first kill, she killed a fat boy who tried to rape her in the last ep of season 1, before she met up with Gendry and Hot Pie :) That’s why she says yes, this is the first MAN I’ve killed.

Also you’ve already seen it – that was NOT Jaime’s homecoming in the books. No spoilers here, but you are right to feel underwhelmed. In fact Westeros is much larger than depicted in the show – Jaime isn’t even anywhere near getting home yet.

133. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Tiggersk8,

My apologies for not including the Cersei/Tyrion scene. I sometimes don’t include every single detail. As someone commented on my first post, “we don’t need a synopsis. We all watched it.”

I do enjoy their interaction and how it changes with the series of events surrounding their meetings. It seems they are becoming closer as time passes. But Jaime is back now, so that may change again next season.

By the way…. Thank you all for the kind comments. You folks are way to nice to this Unsullied!

134. Slynt
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Jaime entering Cersei’s chamber was perfect. His walk through King’s Landing beforehand, however, lacked the energy; it did not feel as if he was greatly anticipating meeting Cersei again, not.. nervous enough. A few lines of dialogue with Brienne would be nice to add tension, Brienne could be wondering about her future or ask Jaime if he’s happy now..or somethingsomething. Sweet episode.

135. Kael
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Very low key episode, I agree, but I think it has set up everything for season 4 nicely, and to end with another huge moment like the Red Wedding would have almost felt like overkill.

I’m not a book reader (well I am, but i’m only a third through A Clash of Kings, and intend on catching up by the time season 4 is out) but for some reason I have a high hopes for some reappearance of Benjen.

136. Adam
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I always like to watch the ‘next time on’ videos on the hbo website as we don’t get that shown here in the UK and I am really confused as far as this episode goes. I watched it after last weeks episode and they cut a lot of stuff out of the episode that was in that trailer, I saw the Brotherhood and Littlefinger for a start. I also saw scenes with someone falling and also spotted Theon’s sister on a horse. None of which featured in this episode.

May seem a little harsh but personally this is the most disappointing episode of Game of Thrones that I have seen. Mainly because there were no surprises, lots of characters left at weird points in their stories and a very anti climatic ending.

It is a bit strange to think that we will have to wait 9-10 months to see some bits that were supposed to be in this episode. It is going to be hard to stop myself reading the books, although I will try, as I feel really unfulfilled after this episode.

137. Mark
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

The HBO Inside the Episode is up. http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones/episodes/3/30-mhysa/video/inside-the-episode.html

It kind of explains what they were hoping to accomplish with the last Dany scene. Also, if you watch it again, she really wasn’t body surfing. At least not for too long. She was quickly placed on the shoulders of the freed slaves in a sitting position.

138. Adam
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

(See my above comment)

Weird. Just watched the video again, it is linked as a ‘preview’ on the hbo website and they have edited it big time from the video they first put up. Seems like they changed there mind on what to put in this episode at the last minute.

139. Mary G
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Love your recaps, Oz. How you manage to stay unspoiled is a wonder to behold – it must take a lot of work. I made the mistake of going to Wikipedia during Season One and had to get all the books and read them immediately after seeing that Ned lost his head.

Every time Roose Bolton comes on screen now we yell “James Bond Bolton;” you really nailed that guy!

Hope to see your columns again next season.

140. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome Oz, I always look forward to your recaps!

Time for my hibernation until April 2014

Nighty night (‘s watch lol) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

141. Addie
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Lyanna_Targaryen,

Yeah I usually enjoy reading the different perspectives but last nights reader recap comments section was pretty dissuading.

142. Lisa Y.
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Oberyn,

??? The boy Arya killed in season 1 wasn’t trying to “rape” her. He was trying to capture her and drag her to the Queen.

143. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Lisa Y.:
    Oberyn,

For a handsome reward no doubt

144. Pau Soriano
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe:
    Do you really think so, Eorl? :D

Yes…a bastard sword is a one-and-a-half sword, longuer than a “normal” sword. It’s called bastard ’cause it can be used with either one or two hands

145. Jimbo
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Dear Oz,

You may be unsullied, but you have made me laugh a lot this season, with your ranting, predicting and wild stabs in the dark! :)

I hope WiC will notice how well we have received you, and hope that I will be reading more from you in a years time. Until then don’t read any google on it!

And to this awesome show and all it’s great crew and cast – Thank you for making the greatest TV show ever! I can’t wait for more!

Kind regards

Jim

146. Sena61
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

I was actually dissapointed by this episode. It’s a great ep but not for a final. But maybe it’s because i don’t like Theon’s and Stannis’s storylines… I also wanted more of Cersei/Jaime.
    Even if this season was awesome, it was not as good at 1 & 2.
    But still, GoT rox !
    Also, i loooooove your recap Oz and i enjoy hearing about Ozette and what she thinks :) So thx a lot ! Hopefully we’ll be reading more of you in 10 months !

147. Paul Blackfyre
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Great recap, Oz. As usual. You have to come back for Season 4! :)

148. House Mormont
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

(I hope this thread isn’t dead because it only just aired in the UK and I have questions)

What did people think of Jorah’s horrified look not just as Dany walked into 200,000 people, but even as they embraced her?
    I felt like maybe it meant that he was scared she’d never make it to Westeros?
    It scared me a little, I felt like it meant someone was going to stab her in the belly at any time…

Also I think Cersei and Jaime’s scene said a lot, she looks at him and she looks wounded and weak because she’s felt so much pain over it, then she sees the stump and she’s almost disgusted(?) and he looks down in shame and we see that he’s this new unconfident Jaime

Also, in early Season 1 we see Varys talking to the man from Pentos who held the Targaryens, I hope there’ll finally be a follow up on that and maybe we’ll see what Varys’ motives really are for the realm

Also I love Sansa and Arya’s character development as they get stronger, Bran seems a bit stale though… he’s just a slightly more responsible version of the Bran at the start even though he’s a cripple who’s lost his family

149. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Jorah was right to be worried about Dany’s safety in a crowd full of strangers considering how many assassins she has dodged already. Any one of those people might have been planted by Varys.

And we do know that Varys had spies everywhere, and employed some killers on behalf of king Robert. Tywin doesn’t think Dany is worth killing, but a personal hatred of magic might motivate him now.

Speaking of Tywin, today he said 3 dragons conquered a continent with only a small army in tow. But a while back he wasn’t fazed by Dany

150. 3eyes
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Can we show some love for Alfie Allen’s performance this year? S3 has been even more demanding for the actors than 1&2, and Allen has given 110%. Hope he gets at least a nod from the various award committees.

151. Timdorion
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Just want to say (like many others) that even as a book-reader I really like reading newbie-recaps like yours. Mostly the predictions and the emotional high points, it’s a nice way for me to to combine the feeling of the books and the series. Keep going !

152. Lord Selwyn
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

I’m another book reader who really enjoys your recaps and perspectives on the show. Thanks for some wonderful and insightful posts, and I look forward to seeing you back for Season 4.

153. Jaded Dragon
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Love the recaps and I can’t wait for next season! I’ve enjoyed coming here to see what other people are saying about the story and where it is going. Sometimes I like being unsullied, and sometimes I wish i would just pick up the damn books. I just like the acting so much! The actors do a fantastic job at bringing you into their world, and I enjoy finding things out as the characters do.

Here’s to a long nine months….

154. MVD
    Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

OZ,
    Thanks so much for your recaps.

Unsullied,
    Thank you too for your comments.

The ‘book reader’ pages are a real downer. But all of you are a breath of fresh air and renew my excitement for the books, and enhance my love of the show.

155. Joh
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 12:00 am | Permalink

tee hee.

I just rewatched the episode. I like how the court ladies in the background at the Red Keep were pointing, giggling, and blushing at Podrick as he ran past to tell Tyrion about the council meeting.

156. Macdaley
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 12:00 am | Permalink

As a “sullied” I’ve enjoyed your recaps this season. Please return for season 4. A fresh perspective from someone not having read the books is great. As well, it allows me to think about where storylines might have gone in different directions. So much to be excited for next season. Bring on the football. Go Seahawks!!

157. blackbird7309
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 3:18 am | Permalink

This sullied woman enjoyed your posts a lot. I hope you´ll be back next season and maybe we´ll hear from you in GoT-less time as well :)

158. lightning lord
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 4:11 am | Permalink

Thought overall this was an alright episode, it didn’t feel like a final episode to me, the Shae and varys scene was strange to say the least and the ending just didn’t have any impact on me whatsoever,I found Danys story rather boring this season. So as an episode it was ok, as a final episode of a season it was poor.

159. Vladimir Bolton
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Michael274,

Sure, I agree. Season 2 had 1-2 pretty bad episodes. But on average, I found season 2 more entertaining and more eventful than season 3. But hey, that is just my personal opinion, no offense intended. And as I said, even the “worst” GoT season is still freakin awesome, so I’m complaining on a high level here.

160. UF
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 4:29 am | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin:

Exactly! I mean this is supposed to be one of the truest and purest love stories in GoT (albeit a little gross, but still). I didn’t expect some kind of hollywood-style reunion with hugs and kisses and tears of joy, but there was nothing at all. She didn’t recognize his voice, and didn’t show not even a bit of relief that he’s finally home and safe. Just disgust at him being dressed in rags and carrying a stump…

I loved the exchange he had with Brienne before, though, just after that peasant shoved him aside. He’s like, “is this what I became, once this powerful warrior and now any common can push me around? how will I survive in this environment?” and she looks at him and knows how he feels and shares his pain.
    Gwendolyne Christie does a superb job and their chemistry is so good.

I’m really curious (and worried) what will become of the two of them now that Cersei’s back in the picture – not necessarily romantically speaking, but I hope their friendship goes on somehow (although I don’t really expect that to happen, but who can say).

All in all, I was let down by this episode. Obviously after the Red wedding any episode would look weak but I was disappointed there was no cliffhanger. I know they only did half of the book, but it’s not like they follow the books to the letter. They could’ve pulled a story from the second half and used it to keep us a bit on edge. Now there’s no resolution to expect (except the return of the series as such).

Otherwise season 3 was my favorite season, by far. I’m kinda scared next seasons won’t live up to this one :/

ps. Oz of Thrones, I love your recaps. And this is the only place I feel safe about reading comments and discussing the show. My Sullied friends are all appaled that I prefer to wait for the show instead of reading books and benevolently drop unwanted hints on me. Props for helping us stay Unsullied.

161. Nagga's Kin
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 4:39 am | Permalink

I Know Of Fear: House Mormont,

We know from a scene in season 1 that Varys is in cahoots with Magister Illyrio in a long-term plan to re-instate a Targaryen on the Iron Throne. Arya hid in a dragon skull when she overheard them. To Varys, “the realm” = the Targaryen realm. He had no problem with dragons back when they were in charge because Westeros does not permit slavery. Varys’ disdain of magic appears to be limited to the kind that requires people (or choice bits of people, ahem) to be sacrificed.

If Tywin has a problem with magic, we haven’t heard about it on the show.

The person who pointed out (to Davos) that Aegon Targaryen had used magical dragons as a force multiplier to conquer Westeros was Stannis, not Tywin.

162. Vladimir Bolton
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 4:50 am | Permalink

Michael274,

I agree, there have been 1-2 very weak episodes in season 2, probably some of the weakest of the entire series. However, on average, season 2 was far more entertaining and eventful. But hey, this is just my personal opinion – no offense intended.
    That being said, even the supposedly “worst” GoT season is still freakin epic and far better than anything else on TV, so I’m really just complaining on a high level here.

163. sam
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 5:02 am | Permalink

I liked the finale from the first till the last minute. Why a big cliffhanger after the red wedding? Why killing somebody? I think this Episode was great. Love the Show and please Oz return next season!

164. sam
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 5:03 am | Permalink

I liked the finale from the first till the last minute

165. Valpur
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 5:41 am | Permalink

Just wanted to say that the screenshot up there is heartbreaking. Love U Sandor *_*

166. UF
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Who said anything about killing someone?

In S1, we went from shock (Ned’s beheading) to hope (Daenerys rising from the ashes with her dragons). Last year, we went from hope (victory at Blackwater) to shock (white walkers attack). This year, we went from shock (Red wedding) to… nothing.

It wasn’t a bad episode, it just lacks that certain something that keeps you on edge for the next season.

Although it is possible it will make more sense once I rewatch the whole season in one piece.

167. outdoorcats
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 7:46 am | Permalink

I feel like Jorah’s look was about feeling a greater and greater distance between him and her. As she becomes almost a messiah to all these slaves he’s realizing she’ll never belong to him – they are whom she belongs to. There was a similar moment in episode 4 when Jorah walks up to Dany with pure worship in his eyes after she has sacked Astapor, yet she turns and walks towards her army without noticing him and he looked like he had just been struck by lightning. Poor guy.

168. gosensgo
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Kael,

Me too…. Im not a book reader… but my sister and I discussed the possibility of seeing Benjen again…. we dont know what happened to him. That would be AWESOME
    <3 ned

169. Modiglian
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 8:52 am | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

Specific dangers for Shae?
    If Tywin telling Tyrion he’d kill any whore Tyrion is associated with isn’t enough…

170. EASY
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

You forgot “Well what if the unsullied don’t “get it” we should tell them they need to know”

Like the whole guest right thing…. Some felt the need to tell the unsullied when D&D spelled it outright for them and everyone else if they would have just waited 1 episode. I am with you and Lyanna as to only read the recap and never read the comments for the “Sullied” section.

171. Chrissy
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

thanks for the Recap Oz and please return for season 4!!!

172. coronaking
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Oz, I am one of the sullied but I enjoyed all your recaps and really hope you will be back next season! It was a delight to hear an unsullied voice, especially in a season with so many great moments (munity at Crasters, Dracarys, Hound and Beric fighting, warging Bran, the Bear and the Maiden Fair, a dying White Walker, Red Wedding)!

Thank you and may there forever be peace in your realm, too. ;)

173. Ozzette
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Great job Oz! I know that I am a bit biased, but I think you have done a phenomenal job. I have enjoyed getting to tag along on this adventure with you. As far as the finale went, I’ll take what I can get. My wish was for at least ONE Stark child to be safe. I secretly hoped it would be Arya (really knowing better), but Jon Snow will just have to do. He’s blood enough to count as a Stark. As far as my favorite scene, it was the reunion Cersei and Jaime. Sometimes, nothing said is a very powerful thing. It was intriguing to me.
    Farewell to WiC for a while… I’ll get my hubby back ….At least until football season starts!

174. 3eyes
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Valpur,

Agreed. For me, this is one of the most powerful images from GoT so far, and beautifully sums up that quality it has which first pulled me in, and keeps me coming back.

175. BathoryBane
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Another great write-up. I’ve now entirely stopped reading the comments section on the reader recap, there’s just too much bile pouring out. Thanks for making us readers feel welcome here, and promise not to spoil anything. Oz, thank you so much for your contribution this season, hope you’re back for the next one!

From my point of view, this finale wasn’t one big moment in the end, but a collection of many small moments, some so subtle they seemed to go unnoticed. It was a heart-warming episode, it didn’t need to end with a cliffhanger, it didn’t need a supernatural oh-shit-bomb. It was entirely about people, their hopes, struggles and disappointments. Watch it again, it is more powerful than it first seems. Can’t wait to see more.

Posted June 11, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

A long time book reader here (discovered the series 12 years ago), and just wanted to say I’m enjoying these threads far more than the book-reader threads. In fact, I think I’ll probably avoid those altogether next year. Seriously, it is awful in there. A bunch of pointless nitpicking and nerd raging over mostly trivial things. Thanks for the reviews and comments, and I look forward to reading these threads more closely next year!

177. Eljuma
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I Know Of Fear,

That was Stannis, not Tywin.

178. gosensgo
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Lex,

HAHAHA NERD RAGING

I LOVE GOT

HODOR

179. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Ozzette,

Ah…..the lady of House Oz speaks.

Thank you for supporting me and putting up with my late Sunday and Thursday nights, my sweetheart.

It’s only 82 days til Kickoff, BTW!

180. notabookreader
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Michael274,

oh sory….notabookreader….better for you?

181. Ed
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

A-Freakin-Men!

Lex:

182. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Ed,

Come join us Ed, Lex and all Sullied! Just don’t spoil us. I can promise we won’t nitpick about the books because we simply don’t know what the hell is in them!

183. mariamb18
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Fabulous insight. This book-reader loves your posts. Enjoy the next 10 months. Hope to see you back here next year for what will be an awesome S4.

184. grumpycetacean
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Thanks for your write ups Oz! I have looked forward to them and read them all. WiC is pretty awesome, thanks you good Sullied people for letting the Unsullied have a place in your fandom.

My favorite parts in the finale, Hodor and the well/tunnel, Sam and Jon reunited, and Sansa looking at least comfortable with Tyrion for a bit. Was a treat for Sam and Bran to meet briefly also. I liked Asha’s scene as well.

My not so favorite parts…I was so mad at Shae for refusing Varys’ diamonds, and believing that Tyrion was behind it. Varys is the spider, he knows things and I think he really was trying to save her. Dany with all the slaves at the end was not the most awesome ending, for me really kinda fell flat because of racist tropes that a book reader said weren’t actually in the book, that not all the Yunkai slaves were darker skinned, but they really looked it in the end of the finale. Booo

Oh I am loving Arya and the Hound storyline! I hope he continues to protect her.

I am really looking forward to the next season! Hope Oz will be back too!!

185. MVD
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:00 am | Permalink

BTW the photo of Sandor and Arya at the top is one if my favorite so far. Two of the most damaged people in the story.

Many people would understand or expect, from popular culture, distant or flippant reactions. But even with all their previous experiences they’re still hurt or disgusted, or both, or at least down as the shot suggests.
    For people that have lived through tragedy and horror, but not succumbed, it is often labelled ‘strength’ when you dont cry or fall apart.
    While that is a true component of survival skills, that’s not really strength. Worse, I think it alienates or removes one even further from the majority of people, and folks even start to think your not really hurt.
    I really appreciate how the ‘show’ (author, writers, directors, actors, etc) treats Arya and Sandor.
    No bs

186. I Know Of Fear
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Modiglian,
    Well there is that, but I thought Tyrion was said to be in danger because Shae wouldn’t leave.

Eljuma,
    Oh, you are right, that wasn’t Tywin. I guess that’s one more reason why the realm would be safer under Stannis.

187. sensistar
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

i really enjoyed your recaps. i hope there will be more when season 4 airs. greez from austria

188. Paweł Ausir Dembowski
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

JamesL: I really wish book readers would stop filling up the newbie recaps with their comments, even if they are not spoilers. And stop giving details and history from the books that have not been mentioned in the show.

A lot of these, even if not mentioned on the show itself, are in the show DVD extras that detail the history of the houses etc.