Two Game of Thrones exhibits open in Belfast
By Winter Is Coming on in Events.

Exhibit

Game of Thrones: The Exhibition has hit the last stop on its worldwide tour and it is a homecoming of sorts as the exhibit arrives in Belfast. The red carpet opening was on Friday evening and a contingent of cast members were present (as was Sir Ben Kingsley for some reason). Discover Northern Ireland has a brief report and some photos from the event. They also provide some helpful info for those hoping to see the exhibit:

The Game of Thrones exhibition runs until 17th June. All tickets have now been allocated, however if you did not receive advance tickets online, there will be walk-up availability at the venue on each day of the exhibition (June 8th to June 17th). Please be advised that you may experience long waiting times at the venue, and we would advise that attendees wishing to queue, attend at off peak times. Weekends and evenings are likely to be the busiest periods at Titanic Belfast.

In addition to the official exhibit, there is also an art gallery as a part of the Belfast Photo Festival that exhibits the work of Thrones stills photographer Helen Sloan. The gallery features “never before seen and highly striking on-set photography from HBO’s Game of Thrones, by local photographer Helen Sloan.” More details about this art exhibit can be found here.

Winter Is Coming: Two great exhibits that I wish I could check out. The Helen Sloan gallery sounds especially cool. Have any of our readers been able to attend? Any planning on going?

1. A-Gone
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

(panick) HODOR HODOR HODOR !!!

2. Arristan The Old
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I’m officially starting a rumour that Ben Kingsley has been cast for season 4 as Doran Martell. Who’s in?

3. Tamthethird
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I heard on Radio Ulster that Sir Ben was filming some project in Belfast, but also “having discussions” with HBO while he was there. No more detail than that. Interesting.

4. lightning lord
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Im going on Friday, cannot wait. The Helen Sloan thing sounds great too so I’ll maybe go to that too. Maybe i’ll get to sit the real Iron Throne.

5. Arristan The Old
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

We already know he played a role in the destruction of the house of Stark…

6. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Ben Kingsley as Oberyn. I WANT TO BELIEVE.

7. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Sir Ben Kingsly would make a perfect Doran Martell.

Now that the season is over could we please get a forum for this site ?

8. Seriano
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Arristan The Old:
    We already know he played a role in the destruction of the house of Stark…

Heh.

9. Just A Random
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

No idea on Kingsley.

Any word on whether or not the GoT exhibition will happen again next year? Maybe more cities?

10. Arthur
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Ben Kingsley is a great actor but he is a frail old man. No way can he be The Red Viper, the spear would weigh more then him.

I say Eric Bana or James Purefoy.

11. Nick Larter
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Doran Martell indeed.

I’m going to these exhibitions this weekend (and also the William Simpson one in Derry – http://www.derryjournal.com/lifestyle/entertainment/unique-game-of-thrones-show-to-open-this-year-s-2d-comics-fest-1-5110282)

I’ve a spare ticket for the GoT exhibition for 17:00 on Saturday 15th if anyone in the area is looking for one.

12. First
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Well Ben Kinsley has an Indian background so he could play a Martell. I think he would be a great Doran. Wise and frail.

13. Arthur
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Aaron Rodgers gives his thoughts on the GoT season finale…

It’s the last 22mins of the podcast

14. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I was lucky enough to visit the exhibit while I was on holiday in NYC for WrestleMania earlier in the year. Had to wait 3 hours to get in as people were lining up around the block by mid afternoon on a weekday but it was well worth the wait just to get a photo sitting on the Iron Throne. The Blackwater experience is loads of fun and all the costumes and props are great to look at. I hear the Belfast exhibit has some stuff from season 3 that wasn’t present at the other locations too. I hope everyone lucky enough to attend has a great time and I cant recommend it enough!

15. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    Ben Kingsley is a great actor but he is a frail old man.No way can he be The Red Viper, the spear would weigh more then him.

I say Eric Bana or James Purefoy.

Hence the reason why he’d be perfect for Doran. I wouldn’t say he’s that old and frail, sure Sir Ben is getting up there in age but he’s not ancient lol.

16. First
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

17. bastardofballyshanon
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

im going on monday… cant wait. i was so worryed i wouldn get in since i did get a ticket.. but i dont mind the que. is it true you only have 15 mins inside and that include having to que again for a photo op with the iron throne

18. Arristan The Old
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

First: So it’s settled. Kingsley will play Doran Martell in a Ciaran Hinds 2/3 episodes type deal.

Well, that went well.

(The alternative – Gandhi as the Red Viper? I just can’t see it)

19. Delta1212
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Arristan The Old,

Perfect t casting

20. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

bastardofballyshanon,

Not sure if this relates to Belfast but in NYC you could spend as long as you like inside once you were past the queue. I was inside for around 90 minutes. There was a separate line for the Iron Throne pictures once you arrive inside though so I would imagine this would be the same. They take a professional quality photograph that they give to you free of charge and also have ipads on hand so you can either email the picture to yourself or upload it to your Facebook/Twitter on the spot.

21. Endless Giraffe
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

A forum for WIC would be great. We need one.

22. Helen Stills
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Just to let you know – the talk to accompany my exhibition has been moved to next Tues @ Ulster Museum. Some people had emailed me thinking they’d missed it. Spread the word – and enjoy Belfast if you do come to visit!

23. el
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I agree completely with Ben Kinglsey as Doran Martell. Perfect choice!

24. Winter's Lion
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Lord Of The Waters,

I had the same experience in NYC. We went on a weekday so we avoided the really bad crowds (still waited about 45 minutes to get in, though). We were in there for at least an hour and did both the Throne and Blackwater Bay twice. There were HBO employees in both the line outside and wandering around the exhibition inside, so I won us a bunch of free stuff by being able to answer trivia questions. All in all, a great time.

25. Arristan The Old
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Missed this exhibition when it stopped off in Toronto & still kicking myself for not road-tripping out there to see it; it looks and sounds pretty awesome. Oh well, maybe next year…

26. GG
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Went last Saturday. It was great. There was even the dick-in-a-box box before it showed up in the show. The vids of the cast welcoming you to the Exhibit were so sweet. Every house had its own section, with the exception of the Greyjoys, which just had a wall on the back of the Stark section. I nearly died when I saw it xD There was some really good fan art shown as well as a map of the 7 Kingdoms, drawn on this worn thread sheet. We spent ages trying to find all the places on it. I killed it in the BoBB Experience and, not to boast but, I looked good on the Iron Throne. The Titanic Building is gorgeous & the Titanic exhibit is well worth seeing while you’re there. Weather was fantastic too. Cannot recommend it enough. Anyone who doesn’t have tickets, try to go anyway. It’s worth it :)

EDIT: I would advise you bring a good camera though. You have to take the picture yourself and it’s a wasted opportunity if you bring a bad camera.

27. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Winter’s Lion,

I have a Targaryen iphone case from those HBO guys outside doing the trivia. Good times!

28. DarkRavenous
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I’m heading on Saturday. I’m looking at where the exhibition is right now from my window. A photo with me sitting on the Iron Throne is mine by right.

29. WildSeed
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    Sir Ben Kingsly would make a perfect Doran Martell.

Now that the season is over could we please get a forum for this site ?

I agree on both counts, however I’ve deduced from earlier threads the aversion
    to extra work adding a forum would make*. There are other Forums on the web,
    but none truer in the diversity of opinions expressed here. Despite the occasional
    bust up and rare troll, this site draws a mature crowd, usually.

From what I discovered , theres a ” I hate everything about George Martin ” site,
    a ” teeny bopper, I luv everything GoT geek site “, a ” only fools tread to criticize
    anything about the books and anti televised version ” site, a” thoughtful but

rarely attended” site, and here at WiC. I chosen only one and that’s here.

* WiC

30. WildSeed
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Beautiful costumes. I wonder whom the armour with the red stain belong to ?

31. Hollyoak
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Oh My God.

I just laughed out loud.

In a a cafe.

By myself.

It was a tweet from someone named Sarah Rodman and was retweeted by Thrones fan and TV writer, Mo Ryan.

GoT fan asked his dad to name the characters:

32. Luca
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Great costumes, would love to see them in person :)

By the way, a question if I may: I’m waiting to purchase the Season 2 blu-ray because I would like to know if HBO has plans to release a “special edition” similar to the first season, the one with the dragon egg: I purchased that one and it was great, wouldn’t mind to do the same for Season 2 and the subsequent ones :)

33. King DBC
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

As much as the HBO execs are salivating to get to show a hot, young, naked desert princess on their channel, I am dying for some Season 4 casting bits…

34. Omar Brown
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    Sir Ben Kingsly would make a perfect Doran Martell.

Now that the season is over could we please get a forum for this site ?

Come on over to http://www.wicgeeks.com , lots regulars post there none of the crazies of Westeros.org go there. We have a Doran Martell casting thread, tho I think Kingsley is a far shot….maybe we could talk about it. ;)

35. Tír Airgid
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I was there!!!! It was really cool, wasn’t expeting to see some props from this season too, like Theon’s box or Dany’s whip, but it was a wonderful surprise.

36. Cary Storm
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: I agree on both counts, however I’ve deduced from earlier threads the aversion
    to extra work adding a forum would make*. There are other Forums on the web,
    bust up and rare troll, this site draws a mature crowd, usually.

anything about the books and anti televised version ” site, a” thoughtful but

rarely attended”site, and here at WiC. I chosen only one and that’s here.

* WiC

Now WildSeed,

I know you don’t mean the site with cranky old geeks like me is the ” teeny bopper, I luv everything GoT geek site “…

We must be the thoughtful but rarely attended one ^.^..

wicgeeks spend far too much time in thoughtful repose.

37. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Omar Brown,

Thanks I might just do that :-)

38. Cadiva
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Doran Martell not Oberyn :) Doren’s the one in the chair who doesn’t walk.

39. babar
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

OT: I might be alone on this one, but what do you think about Daniel Sunjata for the Red Viper:

40. Cary Storm
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

41. DaenyB
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

That is amazing, properly laughed at some of them…reckon he’d still do far better than my other half who stared at me blankly last week when I said something about arya, had absolutely no idea!

42. NoOne
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

That was hilarious, Therin Greydude made me lol.

43. Monica
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Ben Kingsley could do Oberyn! He would be amazing!

44. Dgig
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Was there on Sunday and had been looking forward to it for months, but was really underwhelmed. Was a much smaller exhibition than I had anticipated with maybe half a dozen costume exhibits and a few other display cases with show artefacts inside. Was a bit too crowded to take time over each exhibit and the Blackwater game was broken!

45. Cary Storm
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Monica:
    Ben Kingsley could do Oberyn!He would be amazing!

Actually, I’ve come to the conclusion this totally means that he’s been cast as the Red Viper, right out of the Ciaran Hinds crack casting school.

46. Hollyoak
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

NoOne:
    Hollyoak,

That was hilarious, Therin Greydude made me lol.

It’s hilarious, isn’t it? I like Black Worm and “Lord Bucaneer!”
    LOL!

And what about the Reeds? Raven and Hawk!

Everybody needs to check this out:

47. Gypsy
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Worldwide tour? It wasn’t anywhere near Washington DC…. NYC is a good 4 – 5 hours away. It needs to come around again and stop in different cities this time. Got to see the LOTR traveling exhibition twice – in Wellington NZ and again in Indianapolis. I want to see this one!!

48. Delta1212
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm:

His face is closer to my image of Doran’s, but Kingsley’s head and general build is a better fit than his for me.

49. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Waited in line for 8 1/2 hours for the NY exhibit. That pic on the throne was all worth it tho…

50. Lisa Y.
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Winter’s Lion,

I also went to the NYC exhibit on a weekday. You must’ve gotten there early to have only a 45-minute wait. I waited 2 1/2 hours, but it was worth it. I spent almost 90 minutes inside, got lots of pics and got a good look at all the props and costumes. It was fun. If you have the opportunity to see the exhibit, then take it.

51. Two Feathers
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Ben is in N.Ireland filming ” Our Robot Overlords” with Gillian Anderson. Could be he is just another Thrones fan..
    Going to the exhibition on Sunday. How come the other exibitions had a professional photographer taking the Iron Throne piccies, and Belfast does not? My camera sucks.

52. Endless Giraffe
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Everything about the books is perfect, we hate the show: Westeros.org
    We hate GRRM: iswintercoming.com
    Thoughtful but rarely attended: i don’t know
    Teenybopper Geeks: no idea

Can someone tell me what those two are?

53. outdoorcats
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I like that fans are already speculating on what role Kingsley has been cast in Season 4. I suspect he’s not in talks at all, but we’ll see.

54. tysnow
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Sir Kingsley cannot be Doran, HBO hasn’t been able to see our choices for the part, since WiC hasn’t posted a casting call for the role as of yet.

55. Suzy
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Went to the exhibition on Monday and loved it. It was really amazing to see the costumes and weapons. Got plenty of photos too.

56. Darquemode
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Kingsley is my out-of-reach dream casting for Doran!
    Just perfect in almost every regard IMO.

That said, I think it is hoping for too much.
    My more tempered choice is Homayoun Ershadi who worked with David Benioff on The Kite Runner. He has the perfect feel to me and a good look for Doran too.
    Photos:

With Benioff: http://images.askmen.com/photos/david-benioff/29198.jpg

57. Darquemode
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Grr, Someone want to correct my post and change Neioff to Benioff?

Oh well, I managed to actually spell his name accurately later in the post I guess! XD

58. Lord Stonefield
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Seeing Sir Ben Kingley in the article brought immediately a vision of him as Prince Doran to my mind, funny to see that I was not alone.

As epic and fitting it would be, I think he will not perform in GOT, he is too big a name. Even a waaaaaay beyond the Ciarán Hings league. But we can still hope!

59. WildSeed
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

No harm intended. Apparently the term “geek” has been added to any number
    of web blogs and/or game sites. I occasionally visit the Nerdist for their podcast &
    composite of geek culture ,which range from comic books, toys , cosplay and
    science fiction. I grew up a Nerd, so I identify with nerdist affiliated with
    “Doctor Who”, Math and Physics Nerds, and way too much Dungeons and Dragons
    between coursework. Continue to rock your ” Geekdom “, at your particular site for whatever joy that offers cheers (:

60. Greg
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

YOOOOOO IF BEN KINGSLEY IS PRINCE DORAN I WILL FLIP SHIT
    SERIOUSLY CASTING DOES NOT GET MUCH MORE PERFECT
    He’s very Dornish-looking and he’s obviously an amazing actor.

I’m not really sure if Doran would have anything to do in Season 4, and this is probably just a coincidence, but still.

61. WildSeed
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Darquemode:
    Grr, Someone want to correct my post and change Neioff to Benioff?

So disappointed mate, so disappointed…… I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Bryan
    Cogman is not reading your comments right now, and writing a rebuttal of sorts.
    Or maybe an off the wayside laugh out loud moment (:

I hate how the timed correction /edit process holds any mistake in permanent
    submission, yet we’ve all been there. Weep not , but keep calm and carry on
    ( as if no one noticed ) *>*

62. WildSeed
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Greg:
    YOOOOOO IF BEN KINGSLEY IS PRINCE DORAN I WILL FLIP SHIT
    SERIOUSLY CASTING DOES NOT GET MUCH MORE PERFECT
    He’s very Dornish-looking and he’s obviously an amazing actor.

Greg, this may hurt at first but I want you to consider the very real possibility that
    Sir Ben Kingsley may not become available for the production , through his
    agent’s advice, availability or ( seven hells ) an off chance that he despises
    the show. A suggestion of actor Om Puri, another great choice I’d personally
    forgotten about, may work out as an alternative. Breathe deep, and resist
    unsheathing your sword. That’s better.

63. WildSeed
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

I hope I got ” teeny bopper” correct. I was searching for a descriptive word and found
    on a nearby news article. Had to look it up . I thought it meant very small in size.
    It’s a cute word, no ?

64. WildSeed
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Endless Giraffe:
    WildSeed,

Everything about the books is perfect, we hate the show:Westeros.org
    We hate GRRM:iswintercoming.com
    Thoughtful but rarely attended: i don’t know
    Teenybopper Geeks: no idea

Can someone tell me what those two are?

Some months ago I did a ASOIAF or GoT word search on info.com, in an attempt
    to discover what else is out there. I browsed four, for a few minutes and clearly
    identified extreme bias in one capacity or another. I noted that many contributing
    commenters were rated high numbers for the # of posted or counted comments.
    I did that only to get a fair assessment, even though my visit was brief. I did
    my best to forget the research , so I don’t remember all the site names, which is
    why I didn’t embarrass myself with the attempt. Of course, I did not join or
    engage in discussion, just perused the topics of discussion and responses. Perhaps
    I’d be labeled a ” lurker “, even if it was to determine if I belonged there.

When discussions here become too heated or I continue to prove ignorance on my
    part, I either read more comments to gain new insights or go read a good book.
    Taking a mountain hike does wonders too (:

65. WildSeed
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Endless Giraffe,

I remember now ; Thoughtful but ……. it’s kissed by fire site

66. WildSeed
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

The other is den of geek .

67. Arristan The Old
    Posted June 13, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Cary Storm: I hate disagreeing with people whose opinions I respect, but Ben Kingsley is physically nothing like the Doran Martell I imagine. I’m thinking more like Om Puri

I read somewhere that Ser Kingsley had already been cast as Prince Doran. Possibly just a rumour though.

68. Jen@House Stark
    Posted June 13, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Two Feathers,

Oh Feathers must see pictures! Tir ftw for attending, so cool. Want all the juicy details, please.

Posted June 13, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

Hey TwoFeathers! How are things?

70. Jacmac30
    Posted June 13, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I started writing this last night but unfortunately lost it. Probably won’t be seen now as I’m a bit late.

Just wanted to say I was in Belfast at the weekend to see the game of thrones exhibition. It was fantastic and I had a great time meeting up with old friends.

We were waiting outside the Titanic Centre when Sir Ben Kingsley arrived and went in to see the exhibition. When he came out I did ask him if he was going to be in game of thrones but he ignored me not surprisingly. It might be something to do with the fact I taken a sneaky picture just before hand. ;)

I highly recommend going to Helen Sloan’s photography exhibition On Set. There are some pictures of scenes you won’t have seen on game of thrones. Eg John Arryn dead on the floor, a dire wolf being carried by a crew member while a zombie looks on :).

My pictures of the Game iof Thrones Exhibition can be found here…

71. WildSeed
    Posted June 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Jacmac30,

Nice work, thanks for posting these (:

72. Two Feathers
    Posted June 14, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Hi Marco. Things are good, thanks for asking bud. Spent the last couple of weeks on set of ORO ,working along side Gillian Anderson so I can`t complain…..:) Got a good beard going on too , all set for Thrones S4 starting in a few weeks.
    Hope you and you trusty sidekick are well. ASTB.

73. WildSeed
    Posted June 14, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

Ms Anderson would make a perfect consideration for Lady Dustin, of the North.
    Please goad her into thinking about it ……not. Would be a great role for the
    GoT production.

Adored Gillian Anderson in Rowan Atkinson’s s 007 -like-Spy film, can’t remember
    the name.

74. cabbo
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I headed up there. It’s a decent little museum showcasing some of the finer details of the prop work that goes in to the show. A good way to spend half an hour. The shop is stocked pretty much exclusively with leftover Tyrell stuff, though.

Striking things – Emilia Clarke is a tiny person, and Jaime’s kingsgaurd armour is flash as f***.

75. Bob
    Posted June 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I went to the one in NYC…on Good Friday…stood in line for 3.5 hours but it was very cool to see the exhibit. My pic of sitting on the Iron Throne is on my fridge.