Curtain Call: Michelle Fairley
By Fire And Blood on in Editorial.

1370284271_game-of-thrones-article

This is my song for Michelle.

Michelle Fairley, a relatively unknown actress to most Americans prior to Game of Thrones, has finally made it big. Hers is no tale of overnight success; this is a woman who has paid her dues, worked her ass off, honed her talent…

And in the end she won our hearts.

Michelle-FairleyMichelle, a lass from Ballycastle, Northern Ireland, began her acting career in Belfast, working with the repertory Fringe Benefits. From there she skipped back and forth between the stage (in roles such as Lady MacBeth in MacBeth, and an Olivier-nominated turn as Emilia in Othello) and screen (Hidden Agenda; Hideous Kinky; The Others; Best: His Mother’s Son; Misfits), until eventually landing the career-defining role of Catelyn Stark.

And even that wasn’t easy. Jennifer Ehle was originally cast in the role, back when Jennifer had a much more prominent profile than Michelle (Ehle had garnered a number of loyal fans playing Lizzie Bennet in Pride and Prejudice), and to say there was a bit of a row when the recast was announced is putting it mildly. (One might have even called it a ‘gate. Fairleygate, anyone?) Cooler heads prevailed, of course, and a wait-and-see attitude was adopted by most fans…

And now, of course, we cannot imagine anyone else in the role.

Ned_and_Catelyn_Season_1

Michelle affixed her stamp early on with the wonderful chemistry she shared with Sean Bean. (Some of my favorite Catelyn moments were with Ned; perhaps it’s the romantic in me, or maybe it’s just the fact that I like to see Michelle where her natural gift for intimacy can really shine.)

Equally as important was the bond she shared with her on-screen children, and that carried her the remainder of her story. Even in interviews, when her “Stark” children are referenced, Michelle’s eyes light up. I actually think caring for the people her character is supposed to care for is probably the easiest part of her job, simply because Michelle cares for them so much in real life.

1387321_ET_0318_GameOfThrones_MJBAs she told me after our interview (referenced below), just watching the kids grow has been an amazing experience, one that she’s not sure she will ever be able to duplicate. So you get a sense that she cherished every moment of filming, and has really taken the experience to heart. All of her experiences, really—on stage and screen.

(Fact: Michelle is the on-screen mother of Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon… as well as Hermione Granger, and Nathan from Misfits! Basically, her on-screen offspring can kick the asses of your on-screen offspring any day of the week!)

(She’s also played the mother of George Best, too, so add “better footballer than yours” to that list!)

I met her only once, in March of this year for an interview at the Beverly Hills Four Seasons, and she was even lovelier and engaging in person than she is onscreen. Press events like that one can be a little mind-numbing, what with the repetitive barrage of “what can you tease for us” questions, but she seemed to truly enjoy all of it, bantering along with me and other interviewers; she seemed to relish the whirlwind aspect of it all rather than be bogged down by it.

39103-by-wu-weiIt’s a testament to her heart, really. Michelle seems to be a genuinely nice person, and so very grateful of the opportunities Game of Thrones has given her. And again, it just comes down to Michelle being Michelle; there is so much of her in the role, you can just feel her heart through the screen. Credit her training or her parents, I’m not sure which, but this is a woman who really seems to understand her gift, and how to wield it in such a way that we feel as much as she does.

Book readers knew Catelyn would likely be gone. But that didn’t mean we didn’t dread it happening in our own way. The upside, of course, is that she’s a legend now: like Richard Madden, the central part of what many are calling the most shocking moment in television history. That’s immortality right there; even after she’s gone, she’ll never be gone.

michelle-fairley-suitsMichelle is going to remain busy, with a recurring role in the USA series Suits, playing successful British businesswoman Ava Hessington alongside fellow ‘Thrones star (and fellow Ulster Youth Theatre alum) Conleth Hill.

And here’s a SPOILER note: I know there are certain book readers who may choose to point out that Michelle may have the opportunity to return at a later date, be it for flashbacks that appeared in the books, or in dream sequences (like Bran’s), or anything else. PLEASE, for the sake of the Unsullied fans of Michelle, keep that talk out of this thread. At this point the show could bring anyone back from the dead for dream sequences or a myriad of purposes, so such talk is pretty much pointless.

So NO SPOILERS, book readers. (You might be wrong anyway.)

This is all about my—err, I mean our—love for Fairley anyway.

Fare you well, Michelle! You were Lady Catelyn; you were a Tully and a Stark and a force of nature.

Michelle Fairley

We love you. You will be missed.

1. LorenzoD
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

But But, she was such an amazing lady… Or should I say is?
    Wait, hodor??

Anyway, I liked her in season one, disliked her story in season 2, loved her in season 3.

2. GeekFurious
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Hodor!

Also, Frodo lives!

I thought she did a great job playing a character I never liked. And her final scene was brilliant.

I don’t have any interest in her new show but I will definitely check it out now that she is on it.

3. Ser Tahu
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

She will be missed… ;__;

4. Nick_Scryer
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Incredible actress!

Wish you all the best in your future endeavors Michelle.

5. Turncloak
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Michelle Fairley you were great. Thanks for bring Cat Stark to life! If only Robb would have listened to you. Never trust a Greyjoy!

6. Omar Brown
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Lady Stark was always a complicated role and Mrs. Fairley handled her with class and aplomb. Her final scene will haunt me forever. Thank you Michelle!

7. Elsweyr
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I’m an avid reader of the books; when I first saw her casting pictures I thought “huh, not quite what I had in mind”….then I began watching the show.

Right from the start she WAS Catelyn Stark to me. Whatever else she turns up in, I’ll be happy to watch simply to see acting of her capability.

And darn it, I hope she gets an Emmy for the Red Wedding. I knew it was coming and she still made me cringe and sit like a slack-jawed yokel as the credits ran.

8. the other guy
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Great curtain call for a great actress.

9. TheFrozenKing
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

She did a wonderfull job as Catelyn Stark,she will be missed…

10. Rad1999
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Never heard of her before Game of Thrones, will never forget her after Game of Thrones.
    Well done Lady Michelle, well done.

11. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Fantastic Post for a fantastic actress

I will miss seeing Michelle as Catelyn very much, GoT won’t be the same, that’s for sure. I’ll try to watch Suits and keep my eyes peeled for Michelle elswhere as I do with everyone else on the show! I’ve said that before haven’t I?

12. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Curtain Calls are for solely for appreciating the actress and her role. If you wish to comment on the show or speculate on future events, go do it elsewhere such as this post here. Thanks!

13. The Bull
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

She was amazing every single time, even if the material she was given wasn’t always what she deserved. She was the heart and soul of the red wedding scene.

Michelle is always hilarious and insightful in every one of her interviews that i’ve seen. I am most sadden by her departure than any other actor so far. Michelle you are lovely! Wishing you all the best

14. Sky Aero
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Everyone remember: “LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER”!

G’bye Miss Fairley, i enjoyed all your performances!

15. Caro H
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

She was wonderful and will be missed!

16. Arkash
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

She was exceptional in every aspect of her work and role !!!!!!!!

Oh by the way, will you do a Curtain Call for the traditional “One-season-character” that was Orell ?

17. Maudy Pond
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

She is fantastic and truly a force of nature <3 I'll be watching whatever she appears in next!

18. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

A fantastic actress who embodies Catelyn Stark perfectly – her last performance at the Red Wedding was heart wrenching. In the final episode she was sorely missed, and those feelings of sadness, emptiness and loss will continue to be felt for her for seasons to come.

19. Matt
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Truly embodied Lady Catelyn to the tee. She will be, and already is, sorely missed. Gah GRRM must have a heart of stone to dream up the Red Wedding!

20. mariamb18
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Michelle made me care about Catelyn Stark and I will miss her greatly. The show was enhanced by her elegance and grace.

I particularly enjoyed Michelle in live interviews…like the Emmy panel. Her hearty laugh and her enthusiasm for her role (and the Stark kids) was always evident.

Her last moments in this show are seered into my brain. She was riveting. I hope to see her with an Emmy in her hands in September.

21. Oi!
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

My favorite actress on the show. Her final scenes were amazingly well acted.

22. Monica
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

I can’t forget her face as she pleaded with Robb, “Please!”

That should win her an Emmy.

Jennifer who?

23. Hollyoak
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Michele, I loved your portrayal of Catelyn Stark. You were perfect. Your desperate cry to The Late Walder Frey will forever haunt my memory.

One line I constantly repeat is when you were with Renly and, upon being asked of Robb’s plan you narrowed your eyes and said…”and I would not share his strategies with you.” The way you stretched out the word “strategy” was so brilliant.

I love you, Lady Stark.

24. Josh
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

If she doesn’t get an Emmy nom for her acting in the Red Wedding there is no justice in this world. She was able to ground such violent and dramatic events with just her eyes. I think the Red Wedding was the most like a PoV chapter in Game of Thrones history. It was all her through Catlynn…all the pain, all the heartache..She was just brilliant.

25. Alen
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

She is such a phenomenal actress. Her character divides the opinion of fans, but even the haters must acknowledge Michelle’s talent. I love Cat and I love Michelle. Her final scene and her final scream will forever haunt me.

26. Selmy
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

AMAZING actress. Best in the show. I’m looking to Maise Williams, Lena Headey and Sophie Turner to fill her shoes now and what shoes they are to fill. Michelle did an amazing job portraying Catelyn and its a performance I will never forget, especially her pleading for Robb’s life.

She will be massively in demand now and rightly so.

27. Nancy
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Just as hard as it was for me to say goodbye to Sean Bean and Richard Madden, Michelle is equally hard for me to say goodbye to.
    I am one of the few fans who consider Catelyn as one of my favorite characters and I cannot imagine anyone but Michelle playing her. I have never seen Michelle in anything prior to Game of Thrones and I am glad I did.
    Michelle brought a lot of heart and soul into her work and the fact that she managed to develop romantic chemistry with Sean Bean despite only sharing a few scenes with him is a testament to her talent. I loved the onscreen relationship that she developed with Madden’s Robb (and their offscreen friendship), through her interactions with Robb, we could see how much Catelyn loved and would die for her children.
    Catelyn is not an easy character to bring to life and Michelle did so with grace and aplomb. I hope the Emmys do recognize her for her terrific performance this year, not only for her last episode but earlier episodes as well.
    You will be missed Michelle and thank you for your hard work and dedication to the show. I will be sure to check out anything this talented woman is in.
    I always say if Khal Drogo can come back (and that put a smile on my face) in the House of the Undying on the show, then any of our dearly departed characters can come back in some manner-and I hope the show will do that.

28. Clara
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

She really is a fantastic Cat, the way she played her role as a loving mother was always brilliant to me. The fact that in season 1 I still really respected and loved the character even though she was being “mean” to both Jon Snow and Tyrion says a lot I think.

I’ll really miss the loving mother Cat.

29. ebevan91
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Goodbye Catelyn Stark, you’ll be missed.

30. Nic
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I’ll never forget her final scene. One of the finest single performances on television ever.

That scream after Robb is stabbed by Roose. And then her expression changes from despair to hopelessness. Incredible. Just incredible.

Thank you Michelle.

31. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

No offense to Jennifer Ehle, but I can’t imagine anyone else as Catelyn either. With her facial expressions and voice, Michelle Fairley is as good at punching me in the gut as GRRM himself. I will dearly miss the amazing Catelyn Stark side-eye.

32. LordStarkington
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

I can’t properly explain how appreciative I am of Michelle’s work and enthusiasm for Catelyn and for her bringing my favorite character from the books to life.

33. Jentario
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Seeing that scene, my heart turned to stone. Sad that Catelyn is gone- Michelle played her fantasticlly.

34. gil
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

You will be missed Lady Stark.

35. mags giantsbabe
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Michelle’s performance forced me to read Cat’s chapters in the books with attention. I’m glad for this. My favourite actress in the show, she will leave a great gap next season. Love x

36. lucianan
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Hi Michelle you were an AMAZING Catelyn really the best possible. And may I say you are very pretty and elegant! Love your hair!

37. Borden
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

That was a wonderful article, Fire and Blood. She will be missed.

38. Cadeyrn
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

OMGWTFBBQ?!?!?! What’s the word in that language that doesn’t mean goodbye, but until we meet again?

39. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Goodbye Cat/Michelle I’ll miss you :-(

40. Caravaggio
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Holy crap, her photo blew me away. She looked like Rose Leslie!

I always feel a pang of sorrow upon seeing the latest Curtain Call. This was no different. Michelle Fairley brought a power to Catelyn’s onscreen portrayal. She was strong and warm to her children. She was fevered and feral when they were in danger. Her loving chemistry with Sean Bean, fierceness around Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Aidan Gillen, Gethin Anthony and Stephen Dillane, and compassion with Gwendoline Christie are all hallmarks of her performance.

Fare thee well, Michelle. Mhysa! Mhysa! Mhysa!

41. Urban Bran
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I’m sure I’m going to miss her the most out of all the dead characters so far, I’m really rooting for her to win an Emmy for the her acting chops on the Red Wedding. Phenomenal actress and a really beautiful woman too, inside and outside.

42. Balerion
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

If her acting in The Red Wedding does not land an Emmy…….

43. sjwenings
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

She was just plain perfect for me. Best actor on the show. Nuff said.

44. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Her side eye was amazing.

45. Isabelle
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Could not imagine anyone else as Catelyn Stark–Michelle didn’t play Catelyn, she was Catelyn. Catelyn frustrates me immensely, perhaps more than any other character I’ve come across in books or film, and Michelle absolutely nailed her complexity, capturing her strengths and weaknesses in equal measure, and making me feel for her like I never thought I’d be able to. Her performance never failed to move me. Though I’ll always be fond of her scenes with Sean, Sophie and Richard, besides the Red Wedding, my favourite perhaps was the scene between her and Kit in the first season. She didn’t shy away from the less-flattering aspects of her character, and I admire her greatly for that. And though I knew what was coming, when she vowed to “kill them all” after Ned’s execution, I believed her. Bravo, Michelle!!! BRING ON THAT EMMY!

Can’t wait to see what she does next! I love Suits, so the upcoming season will be such a treat! Harvey and Catelyn and Varys, oh my!

Nic,

Completely agree–that scream in particular rendered me completely mute for at least seven solid minutes afterwards. Michelle makes every single second count and packs in as much emotion as possible. Simply outstanding!!!

46. Caedes
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

*stands up and begins clapping

47. Bergen
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Michelle Fairley DESERVES The Emmy For Best Actress! Lena Headey my ass!

48. Jim Cross
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I am a lover of Catelyn. I am such a mama’s boy and a total sucker for any mother character.
    Michelle Fairley was such an amazing actress in this role, I’m sad that she has to go. Game of Thrones will be missing the acting balls that Michelle brought to the show. I knew her death was coming, I’m among the Sullied, I just wish it hadn’t and that we would still get to see this amazing actress on my screen as Catelyn.
    Farewell Michelle, I’ll be watching for you elsewhere, and thanks for all that you brought to my favorite books and show.

49. H. Stark
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

She deserves every award for her work in GoT.
    Long life Lady Catelyn Stark-Tully!
    Long life Michelle!! :)

50. Alex
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

*”Emilia” in Othello

BLESS THIS WOMAN!
    So perfect, however underused she might have been at the end…

51. NukeDorne
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I think her scream in RoC will haunt forever. Brilliant actress, sorry to see her go.

52. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Cadeyrn:
    OMGWTFBBQ?!?!?!What’s the word in that language that doesn’t mean goodbye, but until we meet again?

Do you mean aufweidesen? I’m sure that I spelled that wrong-sorry!

53. tweedie
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

How good was she in that inn when she outwitted and captured tyrion! It was pivotal to everything and she nailed it. In fact she nailed all her scenes. That the red wedding was so effective and made such an impact was in a large measure due to her. It was awe-inspiring and a privilege to watch. Fantastic work.

54. Nagga's Kin
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Michelle Fairley was one of those rabbits Nina Gold keeps pulling out of her hat. While she’d already had an impressive acting career prior to GoT, I’d never heard of her nor seen her in anything. However, the combination of a slender physique, perfect posture and a gracefully aged face proved a perfect fit for a highborn mother of five who also had to deal with a ward of war and the daily confrontation with her husband’s infidelity. Oh, and five freaking direwolves. And ten-year-old Bran climbing, losing the use of his legs after a fall and then surviving an assassination attempt that very nearly cost her the use of her own hands.

Add to that Ned’s wars at Robert Baratheon’s side, his fateful decision to become Robert’s Hand and her son Robb’s marriage to Talisa and, it’s easy to see why Lady Catelyn Stark would be young enough to have a six-year-old but look as if she were at least a decade older. She had more to worry about than any mother should ever have to at any age.

What made the character so believable was the way Michelle managed to highlight both Cat’s strengths (her devotion to her family, her talent for politics and diplomacy, her struggle to accept Talisa as a human being) and her weaknesses (her lifelong inability to separate Jon from the act his existence represented, her decision to free Jaime, her ultimate blind lust for revenge against the Lannisters, her willingness to murder Walder’s innocent wife) in equal measure. GRRM created a character we all rooted for in spite of herself, the emotional glue that held out the promise that somehow, someday, win or lose, the scattered Team Stark would reunite – even when the saga’s logic dictated that could never happen.

We now know, of course, who nixed our aspirations in an act of singular infamy. Michelle’s Cat reached her emotional crescendo when she appealed to Walder’s humanity as a parent, only to discover that human life – a son’s, a daughter’s, even his young wife’s – meant nothing at all to him. His wounded pride demanded bloody satisfaction. After that revelation, Cat resigned herself to her fate with murderous poise, a highborn lady to her dying breath. It takes a very astute and empathetic actress to pull that off without slipping into schmaltzy pathos and, Michelle Fairley was that person. She left an indelible mark on the series and its myriad fans. I wish her nothing but the best going forward.

55. MX
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

As others have said here, Michelle was the embodiment of Cat throughout. The most striking aspect of her craft was the last scene: suddenly, her very familiar face of a mother, a wife and a lady transformed, and I actually could not recognize her as the same person. This small detail alone was superb acting, true to the part: in her last scene, a new Cat emerged, one marked by the rage and the despair to the point of becoming someone else entirely. For this and more, BRAVO Michelle.

56. Uno0
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful job Michelle did with a challenging role! Hopefully this and her future roles will bring her the recognition she truly deserves.

57. Shadowcat85
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Catelyn is an exceptionally well-written character. She is also extremely polarizing. Not anyone could handle such a role, and Michelle attacked it with a ferocity and grace that I imagine only a few could. I’m so glad you included the picture of Catelyn and Ned’s final good-bye because it’s my favorite moment of hers. I’m sad to see such a female character not be on my television screen anymore. No doubt there will be more of those to come from Michelle in the future.

58. KG
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

She deserves to win all the things (as they say) I came in late on the pre-show hullabaloo, after most of the parts had been cast, but I took one look at her photo and thought she was simply perfect for the role.

Turns out I was right. Thank you, Ms. Fairley! You were superb (and went out like a gangsta!) Really can’t ask more than that.

59. Richard Weetabix
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I never could quite warm to the character, on page or on screen, but Fairley’s performance was warm, nuanced, and wonderfully authentic. Never a false note.

60. varysthespider
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

It’s Auf Wiedersehen!
    Au revoir means the same

61. Zack
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Nina Gold and the casting department found the ideal Cat with Ms Fairley. I am unfamiliar with Jennifer Ehle and can’t be certain what the recast means other than that I am more than happy with what we were given. Michelle did more justice to the character than perhaps the writing did, for which I am grateful. Such warmth (except to her enemies, or Jon Snow), such courage. It all comes through because of Michelle Fairley’s talent.

She will be missed.

62. zaprowsdower
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Wow. I would have loved to see her play Lady MacBeth!

63. vinisky
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

To Michelle Fairley:
    My lady, you will always live on in our hearts! Thanks for all the memories!
    Hope you get that supproting actress Emmy nomination and win the award.

64. Kristen Weaver
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Brovo Michelle, you made me love a caricature I only kinda liked in the books.

65. Fire And Blood
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

Good stuff! We should have you write the next Curtain Call. Thanks, man. Quality!

66. David The Grey
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I absolutely cannot picture another woman playing Cat Stark. Michelle Fairly definitely was a great choice for the role. She really brought the tenderness, strength, worry, devoutness and even the coldness (towards poor Jon who was not guilty and poor Tyrion who was guilty of many other things) that the role required. I believed every moment of her performance. She was definitely a Stark. I’ll miss her sadly in the seasons to come.

And although I have zero interest in Suits, I will now have to check it out!

67. 3eyes
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the Gods (Old and New), and Nina Gold that Michelle Fairley was the final casting choice! Otherwise I would probably never have even heard of her, never had the opportunity to see how she inhabited this complex character to such a degree that they seemed to be one and the same. Many songs should be written for her, and awards laid at her feet. Gods be good to you, Lady Fairley.

68. mimi
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Nic:

That scream after Robb is stabbed by Roose.And then her expression changes from despair to hopelessness. Incredible. Just incredible.

Thank you Michelle.

This! Michelle was absolutely amazing………….**Claps**

69. David The Grey
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

I must also say, it’s good to see her smiling in that Suits picture! Thanks for including that photo!

70. Alex Dubrovsky
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

In the show filled with excellent actors, Michelle Fairley was one of the best.

Thank you for being with us for three years and good luck in all your future endeavors.

71. NewJeffCT
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks for a great three seasons on the show.

72. sati
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

So incredibly beautiful and talented. My favorite performance in Game of Thrones – so fierce, dignified and unforgettable.

73. HellFell
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

I’m a book reader. I’ve never cried watching the show. Until…

“On my honor as a Tully, on my honor as a Stark. Let him go! Or I will cut your wife’s throat!”

Then I lost it. I tasted my salty tears and they were good.

74. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

she was great throughout, season 1 her chemistry with ned is great (especially in the hindsight of that relationships tragic ending too) and in season 3 she stole half the scenes she was in. She gets my vote for best actress of season 3. She brought Catelyn to life really well, so great work michelle fairley

75. Malcatraz
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

I can’t imagine anyone else playing the part anymore. Now when I read the books I picture her, which isn’t the case for most others on the show. She nailed it. THANKS MICHELLE!

76. Conor
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Rad1999:
    Well done Lady Michelle, well done.

My thoughts exactly. Wonderful job. Lady Stark will be missed.

77. Morrigan
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Amazing actress for an amazing character. <3

78. Arriba
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

I knew as all the readers that she was going to die, but still, that moment, wow, really hit me. Really grew into me since the begining. Probably one of the saddest storyline of the series. I think she was the best actress of the cast, her passion, strength and fierceness, and saying that is something given the level of the actresses.

Really, really great work Michelle. Going to miss you and Lady Stark of course.

79. Bill Volk
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

One last request for a curtain call for the various puppies who played Grey Wind. Especially the one who bit the Greatjon’s finger off. That puppy nailed it.

80. Draig
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

I was left speechless after her last scene, even after reading the book, nothing haunted me like her last scream, that desperate “please.” Michelle Fairley played Catelyn to perfection, and made her my favorite character. The scene where she confronts Lord Karstark remains my favorite of season 2. She played her with grace, fierceness, dignity and passion. She will be sorely missed in the show and I wish her all the best in the future

81. John W
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

She’ll be missed.

82. BelwasBlues
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

I see what y’all are doing here.

Fairley was amazing. Great, great casting.

Posted June 15, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Michelle Fairley did an amazing job. I can’t help but feel we got lucky with the re-casting (Jennifer Ehle may have been good, but I somehow doubt she would have been AS good). I liked her casting from Day 1, despite the skeptics, and I’m glad most people eventually came around to admiring her performance. I think we will definitely feel Michelle’s absence, going forward. Thanks, Ms. Fairley, for pouring so much into your role and making Catelyn Stark step out of the book and come alive!

84. Mike Chair
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

*giving a standing ovation*

85. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

*Stands with Mike Chair, clapping slowly at first, then faster, then fast enough that the speed hurts the hands, then screams “Bravo Michelle Fairley!”

A woman shall miss the great Lady that brought GRAVITAS and GRACE and BEAUTY to the lands of the NORTH. And the North Remembers forever!

86. A Man Grown
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Cadeyrn: BBQ

Hasta la vista?

Hasta la vista, my lady. Michelle’s Catelyn will be sorely missed. I wish she’d gotten even more scenes to shine, but she shone nonetheless.

87. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Give her an Emmy!!! Bravo Lady Stark!!

88. Ryan Genualdi
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Why did you have to end it with that picture? I’m depressed again.

Michelle has been absolutely flawless. Brilliant. I just don’t know what else to say. She went above and beyond and work so hard in this role to the point where you could see and feel it. Brilliant actress and thanks to her for being such a great part of GoT.

89. KG
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Nancy,

I’m with you; Catelyn was one of my favorites even in the book. Fighting for her family with the few tools given women in that society.

90. KG
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Caedes:
    *stands up and begins clapping

I think this sums it up:

91. persephone88
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Catelyn was never one of my favorite characters as I read the books. I never really felt much for her until later in the series, around Storm of Swords. I have to say that Michele Fairley really brought her to life in a good way for me on the show. It is somewhat rare that a book character is improved upon when embodied by a real life actor, but Michele brought a humanity and a realness to Catelyn and made her much more likable and more understandable than the Cat in the books. Her tender scenes with Sean Bean and with Richard Madden were so well played, and she made Cat’s dislike of Jon much more understandable. She was one of the highlights of the series and played the role with such honesty and raw emotion, her presence will be deeply missed. Bravo, Ms. Fairley – wonderful job!

92. medievalmuse
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

Cat Stark was one of my favorite characters in the book and Michelle Fairley made her even more so in this series. I do recall seeing her in Harry Potter, but if she had even one line I don’t remember it. In Game of Thrones, she delivered lines I’ll never forget!

Thank you, beautiful Michelle, for your talent and giving us a memorable character who lives up to both her houses’ words – Family. Duty. Honor and most of all – Winter is Coming.

93. AngryRosFan
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Such a beautiful and talented lady. Michelle as Catelyn will be greatly missed. Best wishes Michelle!

94. WildSeed
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin:

We now know, of course, who nixed our aspirations in an act of singular infamy. Michelle’s Cat reached her emotional crescendo when she appealed to Walder’s humanity as a parent, only to discover that human life –a son’s, a daughter’s, even his young wife’s – meant nothing at all to him. His wounded pride demanded bloody satisfaction. After that revelation, Cat resigned herself to her fate with murderous poise, a highborn lady to her dying breath. It takes a very astute and empathetic actress to pull that off without slipping into schmaltzy pathos and, Michelle Fairley was that person. She left an indelible mark on the series and its myriad fans. I wish her nothing but the best going forward.

This. Every word true. So accurate and to the point , I grew flustered at which
    paragraph to highlight. The only thing I ‘d wish to add, although Ms Fairley
    personified Catelyn Stark for the onscreen role, the script did not do her great
    talent much justice. She did much with what she was given to work with.

95. WildSeed
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

zaprowsdower:
    Wow. I would have loved to see her play Lady MacBeth!

I tremble in anticipation with the idea of that performance.

96. Josla
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

I never understood Catelyn’s haters. Her not liking Jon is a natural reaction that many of us would have being in the same situation. I know I would not matter how innocent the child might be it’ll be a constant reminder that my husband cheated on me and a futher humiliation that he afterwards brought him under my roof for me to raise and for the world to see. Come on, that’s pretty bad a situation for a woman’s pride. Anyway, Michelle is an exquisite actress. I’d say the best in this show in my humble opinion. We will miss you Michelle and I certainly will miss Catelyn, a very human and interesting character that was awfully misunderstood.

97. Lisa Y.
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Her side eye was amazing.

Oh, hell yes. Thanks to her, I learned how to take my side eye game up to a new level.

Thank you, Michelle Fairley. You were, and will always, be Catelyn Stark to me. A fantastic performance. Although it’s ended, as an actress, your future is even brighter now. You will be missed.

98. Aussie
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

I was a fan from the moment she protected Bran from the assassin in Episode (2?). She has such a great presence and her voice is so powerful. Even now just thinking about her performance at the Red Wedding gives me chills, she turned that scene from what might have just been shock-horror violence, into genuine tragedy and devastation.

I don’t understand why so many people despise her character, I found her one of the most believable characters on the show and always point out that if Robb had just listened to most of her advice, he’d still be alive and possibly winning the war.

99. Amanda M
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Love love love Michelle! I never really cared for Cat in the books, but the way she was portrayed on the show, I couldn’t help but grow to like her and care about her as a character. Bravo, Michelle! I hope you get an Emmy nod for this season :)

100. outdoorcats
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it so weird that fans once flipped out that this lady was replacing Jennifer Ehle? That’s why we always wait and see. :)

Fairley was absolutely phenomenal in this show. And we will miss her. Yet clearly her career is on the rise, which an impressive late-bloom acting career if I’ve ever heard of one, given Hollywood’s way of marginalizing actresses over 25. It doesn’t hurt, of course, that she’s aged with so much grace that she’s incurred the instant jealousy (mingled with admiration) of probably every woman who’s ever seen her.

Good luck on your future endeavors, Michelle! I’ll be interested in every one of them. Perhaps I have to start watching Suits!

101. outdoorcats
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

If you guys want to hear Michelle (with costar Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) at her most charming and funny, make sure to check out the commentary on ‘The Prince of Winterfell’ on your Season 2 DVDs. Or just watch this hilarious clip:

102. Zack
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Josla: I never understood Catelyn’s haters. Her not liking Jon is a natural reaction that many of us would have being in the same situation.

Understandable =/= admirable. We should strive for better than to plant the sins of the father upon the child. I find it funny that so many people seem to not want their heroes to be flawed or human in any way and will look for ways to justify badness from otherwise good characters. Sometimes there’s no justification, but it doesn’t negate everything good about someone :)

103. Turncloak
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 12:42 am | Permalink

outdoorcats,

“My son is better than that!” LOL

104. jessie_snow
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Catelyn Stark was never my favorite character, but Michelle was excellent. I loved all of her scenes, even the ones that reminded me why I disliked Lady Stark, though I ended up liking screen Cat far more than I thought possible. Well done, and I hope her work is well rewarded come awards season.

105. Eleanor
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 1:49 am | Permalink

She was Nathan’s mother? I suppose that just goes to show how versatile she can make her appearance.

Excellent performance.

106. kahani
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 2:08 am | Permalink

My favorite scene with Michelle: after Ned’s dead she is walking stone-faced through the camp, all proud and strength and, finally, alone in the wood she express the whole pain and despair of a woman lost her beloved man, only to become a second later a loving mother comforting her despaired child .
    Lady Stark, hats off!!!!
    you always well be my example and inspiration for feminine strength ….
    an all thanks to Michelle and her amazing performance

107. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 2:13 am | Permalink

In honor of Catelyn (and Robb) Stark:

108. rupeiw
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 3:53 am | Permalink

I really love Michelle. She brought Cat to life. And I always feel extremely lucky that my favourite character has been played by such a powerful actor. She will be missed. Her Cat will be missed as well. I sincerely hope Emmy will recognize her incredibly outstanding performance.

109. Summer Is Coming
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 4:58 am | Permalink

What else can I say, that hasn’t been said yet? I take a bow, Michelle, in front of you and I thank you for bringing Cat to life in this 3 wonderful years. May your career flourish even further!

110. Zahel
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 5:22 am | Permalink

I don’t know if she’s a mother in her real life, but the way she portrayed the role of mother was amazingly realistic and moving. If you haven’t watched it yet, just take a look at this heartbreaking reaction video from a mother’s point of view:

She deserves an Oscar.

111. Unbowd UnbentUnHodor
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 5:53 am | Permalink

What a milf! im gunna miss you xx

112. loco73
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Beautiful Michelle won my heart almost instantly when I first saw her in her role. She is a true Irish Rose (and I do love me some Irish women…sigh Kelly McDonald…) in every which way. Again, like I said in Richard Madden’s curtain call, to me she was Cat from the moment I laid eyes on her. She didn’t need to convince me about that fact. She plaid her role with such craft and confidence, always exuding a quiet dignity and strength, just as I always imagined Cat would. The fact that she had such wonderful onscreen chemistry with Sean Bean and the children was a much appreciated bonus.

I remember a few years ago when I had a medical emergency which required me to take the ambulance and ended up in the ER, my mother was informed about it at work and she came rushing to the hospital. I was in tremendous pain, but what hurt more was seeing my mother ‘s pain and fear at being unable to help me alleviate the pain I myself felt.

That is exactly what I saw in Michelle’s face during the extraordinary moments of the Red Wedding. Her anguish and pain will remain etched in my mind for good. Her primitive, savage, guttural and almost beast-like scream, still rings in my ears and it breaks my heart, because at that moment, whatever mistake she has made or whatever wrong decision she has taken, that all pales and falls by the wayside. She is a mother loosing her child in front of her eyes (never mind her husband’s death and the fact that she thinks her other children are also dead)!

Love you Michelle always! Thank you for your hard and enthusiastic work on GoT. You’ll be terribly missed. Good luck with everything, may you have much love, health and prosperity in your life!

RIP Catelyn Stark ——-THE NORTH REMEMBERS!!!

113. DarkRavenous
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Michelle played the role of Catelyn with passion and grace. Throughout her time on the show we seen many sides of her character. The strong mother who would do anything for her children. A loving and loyal wife, and eventually an ambassador for Robb. Michelle showed the strength and vulnerability in Catelyn’s character throughout her time on the show. Her last scene was filled with such raw emotion you felt as though Michelle herself had lost everything at that point. She wasn’t just playing the role, she was Catelyn Stark.

114. Carol
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I’m one of the people who was disappointed when Jennifer Ehle decided to drop out (although I certainly understood her reasoning). I had seen Michelle Fairley in a couple of small guest roles, so knew she’d do very well. She was even more outstanding than I thought possible.

I still think Ms Ehle would have done a great job; however, I honestly can’t picture her — or anyone else — doing what Ms Fairley did in that last scene. The way she distorted her face, that HOWL of utter anguish… thinking about it still makes me tremble and causes my eyes to tear up.

Very well done indeed. Thank you, Ms Fairley.

115. Maddy
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Wasn’t always happy with how the character was written, and she got unfortunately sidelined for a lot of this season but Michelle Fairley WAS Catelyn Stark for me. Her capturing Tyrion was perfect, loved her relationship with Robb and could feel her pain at the loss of her children. She was what made the Red Wedding devastating for me, even more devastating then reading about it! And I think she is absolutely stunning!

116. EllenRipley
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

One of the best actors on the show. Particularly amazing in the RW scenes.

117. Ed
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

i started to write my own farewell, but you did it better than I could. I concur!

Family, Duty, Hodor:

118. serum
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Michelle was amazing, powerful, and sincere as Catelyn! She will truly be missed!

119. Ron Glenn
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Michelle Fairley is an amazing actress. Beautiful both inside and out, and a true talent to behold.

120. Laurie Mann
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

When I saw the first episode of Game of Thrones, there was something about Michelle that seemed so familiar. And more than as Hermoine’s mother, as that was a tiny part. Searched through IMDB and didn’t see anything that clicked with me. And I’m not sure why I checked, but I looked her up in the Internet Broadway DataBase, which was a real fluke, as I’ve only ever seen 3 plays on Broadway.

It turned out that she was in one of them, in The Weir in 1999. She was the only woman in this tiny play about men telling ghost stories in a pub (ironically, Brendan Coyle from Downton Abbey was also in it). She had a very compelling voice as she told her own “ghost” story. I’m glad to have seen the chance to such great work on Game of Thrones.

121. Red Hound
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 5:46 am | Permalink

A great performance for an often misunderstood character (although the show writing was sometimes hurting the character more than helping).

She’ll be missed.

122. Rimshot
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 6:29 am | Permalink

Brilliant actress. I worked with her on ‘Best: His Mother’s Son’ before she was cast in Game of Thrones. I was very impressed with her (if you can, try to find a copy and watch it). It’s been great to work with her in several GOT scenes and to watch her and the others rehearse the end game at the RW. She wil be missed.

123. gosensgo
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Amazing actress. Catelyn was one of my favorite characters, and i loved every SINGLE SCENE of hers… i have some top five scenes in my head that i will never ever forget.
    Im still depressed about that darned wedding.

124. thisone
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Catelyn was one of my favorite characters in the books. Even though I didn’t approve of all the changes made to the character in the TV show, I loved Michelle Fairley and her portrayal.

Michelle will be missed!

125. Mister Stoneheart
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 9:22 am | Permalink

My favorite actor in the show. She will be missed. She made lemonade out of the lemons the writers gave her. For having so few lines, she spoke volumes, especially at the end.

126. Mista C
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Bravo Michelle Fairley, bravo!

127. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink

My post was deleted…as was the one above me. Mission accomplished. Good work Mods!

128. tumblefell
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Two weeks later and I’m still in mourning for Catelyn Stark. Good God, what a way to go! An astounding final performance… I look forward to seeing Michelle Fairley in anything and everything she might appear in the future. And lucky for us that she has multiple projects coming up soon!

129. Tír Airgid
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I just couldn’t let pass the oportunity to express my admiration at the astounding performance class Michelle gave throughout the 3 seasons, that seemed to lift and breath life in every scene she was in. Thank you!

130. Kyrenna
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I’ve been waiting for this one…to say eagerly would be wrong, but I think it’s the most heartfelt ‘I’m going to be missing this acting person’ I’ve typed in a curtain call thread, and maybe will ever type.

She was Catelyn to me, pretty much from the first scene I saw her in. There was the chemistry with her show family, yes, but I also believed her noble lady from old blood part, her commanding presence, that she was a woman with intelligence and standing enough to be trusted with vital diplomacy (brokering the Frey alliance, being sent to Renly).

Whenever I re-read the books again, the voice I hear in the Catelyn chapters will be Michelle Fairleys’, and the face and bearing n such will be her. I’ve had years to build an image of the book characters, and this one I loved, so I built it well. She replaced that image, which is something only a few actors have been able to do so far, and none so wholly as Ms Fairley :)

131. Bryon
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Winter said it, who could we ever picture ask Cat again? No one!

Michelle was the perfect fit and casting continues to spot on with what they are doing even with changes from the books.

132. K26dp
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Ms. Fairley won me over from the very beginning with her gentle beratement of Bran’s climbing, the look of scorn she delivered to Jon Snow at the archery range, and the depiction of Catelyn’s breakdown at the bedside of Bran. She embodied Catelyn in a way beyond physical apperance.

I will be looking forward to her future projects.

133. Robbet
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I love the way Michelle Fairley brought Catelyn to life. I cannot even say how much I appreciate her effort and relate to her emotions toward the series. She is an amazing actress (she stole many scenes she was in) and seems to be a wonderful, caring person.

Wish her all the best, and I am looking forward to see her in other interpretations. Catelyn will be dearly missed, and so will be Michelle.

134. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

It’s true. I really can’t picture anyone else in that role. She will forever be Catelyn Stark to me. Such a tragic character…

And it’s funny when you think about it, because her role was much bigger than Sean Bean’s. Ned was a flash in the pan. But Catelyn was House Stark. She was the rock that held it all together (and when she left, everything fell apart).

135. Amberica
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Cadeyrn,

Aufwiedersehen

136. Mike
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

When cast she didn’t seem much like Catelyn Stark.

Then she simply BECAME Catelyn Stark.

Bravo. Now I have to go watch Suits.

137. tina
    Posted June 21, 2013 at 4:04 am | Permalink

she was so good.

138. Artur
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Bergen,

Is there a problem with liking both?

139. Blackfyre