Season 3 coming to DVD and Blu-ray on Feb. 18, fans to vote on alternate art
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise, News.

Season 3 Box ArtHBO has just announced the release date for Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season via their official Facebook page. The box set will release on February 18, 2014.

In addition, they have unveiled the official box art and also have revealed three sets of alternate packaging. The three sets of alternate packaging will be voted on by fans and the winning set will be sold exclusively by Best Buy. Check out the three designs below and head over to the Facebook page and hit LIKE on the designs you wish to see released.

Season 3 Alternate Box Art 1

Season 3 Alternate Box Art 2

Season 3 Alternate Box Art 3

More info on the contest can be found in the press release, after the break.

Winter Is Coming: If the Tyrell, Baratheon and Tully set doesn’t win, something is very, very wrong.

HBO Home Entertainment® Announces February 18, 2014 Street Date For

Game of Thrones®: The Complete Third Season

Unveils Box Image & Gives Fans the Opportunity to Choose Exclusive Best Buy® Packaging Art

New York, N.Y., June 24, 2013 – The triumphant third season of Game of Thrones is set to be released on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download on February 18, 2014. The box set will feature the beautiful dragon shadow image however; the fate of the exclusive Best Buy packaging is in the hands of fans. Over the past two years, the sigil box art sold at the nationwide retailer has become a favorite among fans who have taken to message boards and social platforms to speculate over which images will be featured then struggle over which one to purchase. Now they can decide!

Via a social media poll, Game of Thrones devotees will pick the Season 3 exclusive covers. There are three stylish options: a “Character Edition” featuring third season poster art of Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke; “Season 3 New Sigils” featuring the sigils of Houses Tyrell, Tully and Stannis Baratheon who were prominent this season; or “Bring Back Your Favorite Sigil” with Houses Stark and Targaryen (Season 1) and Lannister (Season 2).

“We love that Game of Thrones fans are so passionate and vocal about our home entertainment products and the reaction to the Best Buy exclusive packaging has been fantastic for two years running,” said Meredith Vincent, VP of Marketing, HBO Home Entertainment. “This is a fun and exciting way to reward fans and give them a direct voice into what is created for the next release.”

The polling begins Monday, June 24th on the Game of Thrones and Best Buy (US) Facebook pages. Each page will host a gallery of the exclusive packaging options and fans can cast their single vote by “liking” the appropriate image. The votes will be tallied in real-time so fans can keep track of which option is gaining the most support. Voting ends on Sunday, July 21st and the winning art will be revealed on both Facebook pages, and available for pre-order, on Friday, August 2nd.

The Best Buy exclusive packaging will be available in all retail locations nationwide as well as Future Shop in Canada and additional international stores to be confirmed at a later date. Information on the BD/DVD bonus features will be announced by the end of year.

1. J.Hancorn
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

This is awesome, the Tyrell, Baratheon and Tully set has to win surely. But what about us non-US types, I want the pretty packaging too. :(

2. GeekFurious
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Hodor!

Also, Frodo lives!

This is right around my 26th birthday! (give or take 10 to 15 years)

I guess I will be able to get someone to buy this for me this time around.

3. Justice
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

4. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I’m an absolute House Stark obsessive (of whoever is left by the end!) so I’m really sorry!

5. Wyman the Pieman
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Hodor

6. Dogmayor
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

STANNIS~!

7. Vladimir Bolton
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

I’m not that keen on the official season 3 cover. I never quite liked that grey-shadow-on-grey-background promotional image, it’s just nowhere near as eye-catching as the S1 and S2 covers had been.
    The BestBuy exclusive covers on the other hand look freakin amazing, especially the Tyrell / Baratheon and Tully ones.

8. Omar Brown
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

GODDAMIT, I was hoping for a Holiday release, February is so freaking far away!

9. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Justice:

Oh alright then, but just for you. I want the Stark one.

10. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Omar Brown:
    GODDAMIT, I was hoping for a Holiday release, February is so freaking far away!

11. GeekFurious
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Justice:

Hell no.

I want Starks, forever!

12. D'Arcy
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink

That’s really too bad because obviously the Stark / Targaryen / Lannister one will win, yet the Tyrell / Baratheon / Tully one is so much nicer and a fresh change.

13. voiceareason
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Great, the Stark, Targaryen Lannister one is winning by a mile. Do we have to have the same alternative covers every year? Why don’t people want the Tyrell, Stannis and Tully ones! Goddamnit I want that Tyrell one so much.

ETA: Wait a second, I’m confused. They’ve switched the photos and their captions. So what are people voting for?
    Also, the Starks are finished people! It’s a time for Tyrells!

14. Art
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Oh man, I want that Stannis cover art so badly. Too bad that set will never win because people can’t get past Starks and Lannisters.

15. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

That Stannis box design is incredible. Its a shame it is in the vote with 2 houses that the casuals wont really care for because its pretty obvious that everyone is going to vote for Starks and Targs as usaual. Gutted because I would have loved that to go in my collection too. Ah well, I can hope..

Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

I should have known that Stark, Targ and Lannister would win in a landslide. Not enough hardcore fans out there to sway the vote.

17. Douglas
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

The flaming stag with the golden crown is fricking amazing. Awesome design.

Also, not that it matters, but they should replace the Tully cover with a badass Greyjoy kraken.

18. ebevan91
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

It’s a shame that the casuals are going to vote for the one with the more popular houses.

Can I have the Stannis one special ordered from HBO?

Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Douglas:
    The flaming stag with the golden crown is fricking amazing. Awesome design.

They released the Greyjoy art last season, along with the Lannister one.

20. Darquemode
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I love the 3 new house covers, but lean towards House Tyrell and Baratheon I think… Grrrr. I also never bought the Tagaryen covert the first time around and would love a Season 3 Targ cover……. Choices, choices… Too many choises!

At least the choices will be limited when they are released…

21. Turncloak
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!

22. Vladimir Bolton
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Maybe they should have put these groups together differently and leave those “face” covers altogether. I’d suggest 3 groups:

– Group 1: Stark / Tully / Greyjoy
    – Group 2: Lannister / Baratheon / Bolton
    – Group 3: Targaryen / Tyrell / Tarth

This way, the popular houses and the less well-known ones (at least to non-book-readers) would be more balanced and the winner of this poll might not be as clear.

23. Douglas
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Vladimir Bolton:
    Winter Is Coming,

– Group 1: Stark / Tully / Greyjoy
    – Group 2: Lannister / Baratheon / Bolton
    – Group 3: Targaryen / Tyrell / Tarth

Good idea (though Tarth is too small a house IMO, I would suggest Martell or Arryn instead).

Stark/Lannister/Targ will always win, no matter what…unfortunately. My pick would be Greyjoy/Seaworth/Stark, but that’s just me!

Yeah, Seaworth. Come on guys, imagine the fearsome onion as the cover of season 3!

24. Omar Brown
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald: Exactly my thoughts! You’d have thought they’d have learn their lesson by now. I’ts the perfect Xmas gift.

It is fucking KNOWN!

25. Jon
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I’m a ‘hardcore’ fan, and i want the Stark cover because it fits best with the season. I have the original covers for the first 2 seasons as they relate to their respective seasons, but i don’t like the shadow dragon one for season 3, so if i can i’ll proably get the Stark cover.

26. queenofthorns
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Justice: Everybody please vote for the Tyrell, Stannis, and Tully one! I’ve gotten each alternate cover each year, don’t want any repeats in the collection!

Well, unfortunately I guess the thinking is that most people will only buy 1 copy of each season. In S1 they might have bought Stark, S2 Lannister, S3 Targ for example… so for most they won’t be repeats.

…I’ve only bought the standard version each season, myself. :p

Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Jon:
    Winter Is Coming,

Yeah, I guess hardcore fans are probably voting for the Stark/Targ/Lannister set as well. I mean, even if you bought one alternate cover box each season, you’d still be missing one of those “big three” houses, so I’m sure many fans would like to see those re-released to complete their collection. Hopefully the other house sigil art will be released eventually, because that Stannis box is really awesome.

28. ebevan91
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

queenofthorns: Well, unfortunately I guess the thinking is that most people will only buy 1 copy of each season.In S1 they might have bought Stark, S2 Lannister, S3 Targ for example…so for most they won’t be repeats.

…I’ve only bought the standard version each season, myself.:p

I’ll probably just buy the standard version as well but if that Stannis cover is available I’ll be the first customer through the damn doors as soon as Best Buy opens on the morning of Feb. 18.

29. GeekFurious
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I love how if you vote for the Starks one, then you are a “casual”.

Never mind that the major season 3 players were the Starks and the Lannisters. OBVIOUSLY we should vote for the major season 4 players as the season 3 cover art!

DAMN FILTHY CASUALS!

30. G_Lee
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

February. Meh toooo long again.

31. ebevan91
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Most casual fans’ favorite characters are Arya/Jon, Dany, and Tyrion so yeah they’d vote for that group.

32. Bryon
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Currently I have:

Season 1: Targ
    Season 2: Greyjoy

Too bad the box covers arent sold seperately or as an extra like a BestBuy exclusive. Would it be FauxPas if Season Three has a Frey Sigil option? Too soon?

I agree with Winter and the Stannis Sigil is pretty awesome.

33. J
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I was so excited about finally getting a Baratheon cover :(

34. Walter Harrow
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I want an Arya Stark cover :(

Seriously, they should just release special edition versions with covers of all of the main characters (but I suppose there are just too many characters)

35. Jon "Dovahkiin" Targ
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

voiceareason,

evil plot to make stannis tyrell and tully win

36. AJN
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Call me crazy, but does the “face option” subtly hint at:
    three heads of the dragon ?

37. dizzy
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

That Stannis Baratheon one is awesome!

38. WheelofIceandFire
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I like the cover, but would have preferred one with a black background. I have Season 1 and 2 displayed on top of a bookcase and I think this would just look like the odd one out with a grey background

39. ebevan91
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Someone should post this to 4chan and I guarantee the Stannis/Tyrell/Tully covers will win.

40. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Walter Harrow:
    I want an Arya Stark cover :(

Seriously,they should just release special edition versions with covers of all of the main characters (but I suppose there are just too many characters)

Yeah, there’s just too many main characters for that to work. There again, everyone wants an Arya Stark cover :)

41. Solar
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

I want my boy Stannis to win but alas it looks unlikely. I bought the Stark cover instead of the Targ cover for season 1 so I guess I’ll have to get it this time. Damn it people, I really want a Stannis or Tully cover.

42. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

AJN,

I like your line of thought. Always wondering about that “prophesy,” especially given Jon’s dire predicament at the end of ADwD. (Save him, Ghost! Save him!)

43. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

So stupid that HBO doesn’t release the Blu Ray before christmas, the perfect time to put these on sale would be November.

44. ebevan91
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen:

I’ve said the same thing but I think they do it to help promote the next season and build hype.

45. Endless Giraffe
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Why can’t I have my House Bolton or House Frey cover? Is it really to much to ask?

46. Will Bryan
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Absolutely, hands down the Tyrell, Baratheon, & Tully packaging. Can’t believe they would even consider doing the Stark, Targaryen, and Lannister ones ( however sweet they may be) since those have already been used for season one and two variant packaging. This one seems a no-brainer to me.

47. ebevan91
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Will Bryan:

Hopefully HBO reconsiders the grouping. I’m actually pissed about this. Finally an alternate art I actually like and it’s getting destroyed in the voting.

48. Sword of the Morning
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Really hoping the new covers win or get released anyways, that Stannis cover looks badass. Though even if the old ones win I’ll still happily buy the Stark cover, but I’d be worried we’d never get the Stannis option again. Though if we go buy effect by season, Stannis would make the most sense for season 4

49. Haymaker
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Like most, I only buy one copy of a season so I still need a couple of the major houses still before considering a Tully or Tyrell (currently have Stark and Greyjoy). House Lannister seems like a fitting choice for season 3 imo so my vote goes to that set. Baratheon would be nice one too but maybe in a future season.

50. Jon "Dovahkiin" Targ
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

AJN,

I belive it does

51. Selmy
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

STANNIS!!!

52. KingNed
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

A Ultra Hardcore Blackfyre,Karstark,Reyne set would be awesome.

53. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

KingNed,

That’s funny. What about LF, Varys, and Pycelle? Or better yet, what about Ghost, Drogon and a raven/3-eyed crow?

54. Bling of the North
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I think that they should have used the Jaime, Robb and Dany headshots instead since this season had their biggest moments.

55. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Why not release all of the possible covers? I missed out on the Stark and Targaryen covers from S1, but picked up the Lannister one for S2. Now I have to get the Stannis cover! Damn, there are just too many great choices to choose from.

56. Jason
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Why dose HBO take so long to to relase on DVD, Why cant they have it for the holidays and make some real money?

Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

It’s still the ugliest packaging by far. Have you seen the Storm of Swords paperback tie-in with the same image? Just terrible.

This is the first time I think I’ll go out of my way to find the alternate Best Buy packaging, I think. Oh wait, it’s only on the Blu-ray, so I guess I’m screwed.

58. RichMan
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Where is the Bolton, Greyjoy, Frey cover set?

59. serum
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

my vote is for tyrell/baratheon/tully but I wouldnt mind a re-release of the stark/targaryen/lannister so I could pick up the targaryen cover which I did not get the first time around as I chose the stark cover

60. Moët
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Considering I’m never going to buy it at Best Buy, I really have no stake in this.

61. Endless Giraffe
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

RichMan,

Thats what I have been asking for.

62. serum
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

RichMan,

greyjoy was last year

63. Azad Injejikian
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I have Stark and Greyjoy. Sadly, Lannister is the appropriate pick for this year. Although it was a good Dany season.

64. Azad Injejikian
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Jason:
    Why dose HBO take so long to to relase on DVD,Why cant they have it for the holidays and make some real money?

I think the logic is that they build up hype for the season premier of the new season on HBO with the BluRay release a few weeks before.

65. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

ebevan91,

I get that’s why HBO does it but they’re missing out on a ton of Christmas shoppers. Think of how many people would want the seasons as a gift, they should be taking advantage of the holidays not releasing them during months when people are paying off bills.

66. shar
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

First season I pre-ordered with B.B. & was supposed to get a (stark) key chain when picking up. It was storming that day, the parking lot was flooded and traffic was sure going to be hell. I got out in the rain, ended up buying the DVD & Blu Ray (I don’t have blu ray yet, figured I should get it anyway), asked for my key chain and was told it was in the box set. I knew that could not be true, pouring rain & traffic won out. I got two covers Stark/Targaryen and never have regretted it. No key chain though (I went to argue my case, essentially told too bad). The second season I bought from Target. Sorry for the long post, guest you know where I will not buy my season 3.

67. Leuf
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Ugh, the normal cover is terrible. Not only is it not good in its own right, it doesn’t match the first two.

68. ebevan91
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Just thought of something, could they use the alternate covers that nobody is voting for at a different store? Target or somewhere?

Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    ebevan91,

HBO isn’t trying to sell a ton of DVDs, they are trying to drive subscriptions. That is their main revenue stream, their bread-and-butter. So keeping their shows exclusive to the network for as long as possible is better for them. And, of course, releasing the DVDs close to the next season airing helps build buzz and hype for that season, which in turn equals more (you guessed it) subscriptions.

70. dizzy
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

KingNed,

I’d go for a Blackfyre one. Season 6 or 7 perhaps? I think there was a fan rendition floating around a while back.

71. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

HBO still makes a profit off of the sales and they’d be wiser to take advantage of the holidays.

Even if they did release at Christmas HBO would still generate new subscribers, just think of a person getting the box set on Christmas day and then popping it in his player to watch a couple episodes, he/she has family staying and they catch a glimpse of the show and decide to order HBO because they liked what they saw.

The longer HBO waits the more likely people will turn to downloads because they’re too impatient.

72. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

dizzy,

That will be tough when the show has not even mentioned the Blackfyres or their history. I personally think the show will cut the whole “Aegon”/Golden Company/Blackfyre plot.

73. JamesL
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

So they are going to keep that stupid dragon shadow as the official packaging? I thought they would change it for the DVD/Bluray cover considering the negative reaction it got when it was revealed that this would be the marketing art for the season.

74. Rafael
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

AJN:
    Call me crazy, but does the “face option” subtly hint at:
    three heads of the dragon ?

I thought this as well. Coincidence??

75. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

Only fanboys care enough to bitch about something like that. It won’t hurt sales.

76. bbbuyer
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Ugh. It’s gonna be Stark/Lannister/Targ. Stupid f*cking casuals. I got Targ and Lannister thus far so I’ll settle for Stark, but it’s stupid. It should be the Tyrell/Tully/LoL set. Excellent covers. I personally really want the Tully one, the blue looks excellent and makes for the most interesting aesthetic.

Thinking on it, I realized I got the Targ dvd for Season 1 before I jumped into Blu-ray for Season 2, so I might get Targ again for season 3…idk. We’ll see when it rolls around.

77. Sword of the Morning
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

It’d be really nice if they released all 6 sigil covers with how quickly they sell out from Best Buy anyways, they could just cut the usual amount of covers by a third, making select covers even more exclusive. Though season 4 hopefully will have at least Stannis and maybe even Bolton, though it would make more sense for that to be season 5. A Night’s Watch and a Wildlings cover would be really nice too.

78. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Does no one else think the Tully cover needs red on either the top of bottom half?

79. mariamb
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    dizzy,

That will be tough when the show has not even mentioned the Blackfyres or their history. I personally think the show will cut the whole “Aegon”/Golden Company/Blackfyreplot.

That would be a drastic cut although not one that I would disagree with.

The show has minimized mention of the murder of Elia and her children compared to the books. However, I imagine that we will learn more of the details in S4 with the introduction of Oberyn and perhaps one or two other Martells. There is such a wide range of opinion on the introduction of Aegon/Young Griff and what it means to the story; I don’t know what to think. If I had to guess, I’d say that Aegon is in…not because he is a key player but because his presence will spur Dany and, separately, the Martells into action.

80. ebevan91
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Sword of the Morning:

Too bad nobody will vote for them though. They’ll continue to vote for the one with Stark or Targaryen if they even have a vote again.

81. dizzy
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Not if Varys is one.

82. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

I don’t mind the Stark and Targaryen covers being available again. I missed out on both of them in S1. I will definately be ordering a Stark cover this time to go with my Lannister cover from S2. Hopefully the Targaryen and Stannis sigil covers will be made available in future seasons.

83. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

dizzy,

I hope they include it, but they haven’t even discussed the Blackfyre Rebellion in the show yet. It is possible they won’t introduce the backstory until absolutely necessary if they want it to be fresh in the viewers’ minds, which would be season 5.

84. Tre Svatek
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I wish they would just release an option for all the houses so that way I can choose each year. I was sad I missed out on Targaryen and Greyjoy, but now, even if I get the Targaryen cover, which I will be happy about, I will be sad that I am missing out on Stannis, Tully and Tyrell.

I also would like the original Baratheon to be made into a cover. I like the sigils WAY to much for them to mess around with my feelings like this! :P

85. Oscar
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Not a fan of the swords making the III. Just the shadow would be better.

86. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Tre Svatek,

Yes, I’d totally buy every sigil cover possible if they sold just the sleeve.

Lannister
    Arryn
    Blackfyre

I want them all!

87. dizzy
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Well the show does like to info dump in character monologues. I can see that character in particular doing that. Also if Dunk and Egg are ever developed. We know Elia and her children are going to be brought up because of RV.

88. Chris
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Ugh, why are so many people voting on those hideous face covers? I guess I can live with them reusing Stark/Targ as there’d be no overlap (unless you bought both versions of season 1).

But seriously, Stannis’ cover is his by right and anyone to vote against him will be put to the sword.

89. Greyfeather
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

As far as I know the Stark/Lannister/ Targ covers have never been available in the UK so it’s a tough choice between those and the Tyrell/Baratheon/Tully ones. And even if I got my choice I still probably won’t be able to buy it in the UK. And I resent people saying that if I choose the former I must be a ‘casual’ or even a ‘f*****g casual’. A does not necessarily equal B, so go to hell, or even to seven hells, you f***wits and bad philosophers.

90. Omar Brown
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: HBO isn’t trying to sell a ton of DVDs, they are trying to drive subscriptions. That is their main revenue stream, their bread-and-butter. So keeping their shows exclusive to the network for as long as possible is better for them. And, of course, releasing theDVDs close to the next season airing helps build buzz and hype for that season, which in turn equals more (you guessed it) subscriptions.

That blockheaded old way of thinking is the reason they are the most pirated show on Tv, I have the S1 and S2 sets and guess what, I will never get a cable subscription. Have they ever released any proof subscriptions ( not viewership ) has gone up?

91. RichMan
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Some enterprising person should get a license to print alternate covers. Then people could order whatever cover they wanted to for every season

– Kickass Theme
    S1: Stark, S2: Lannister, S3: Targaeran, S4: Baratheon
    – Turncoat Theme
    S1: Lannister, S2: Greyjoy, S3: Bolton/Frey

92. Richard
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

I don’t really care about the packaging, I just want the Blu-Ray discs, but the Tyrell, Baratheon and Tully one should win as the faces are boring and you don’t want to repeat Houses that have already been released for those collecting the House covers thus far.

93. Richard
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

This thread made me realize I need a Stannis Baratheon shirt. Thanks!

94. Blutrabe
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

They should have gone with the House covers from the beginning. A different house for every season. That would have been awesome.

95. Gabriel
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

It will be just for the Blu-Ray? :(

96. Turncloak
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Sucks, I hope I can still get a Stannis cover. If not I’ll settle for Targaryen since I’m a big BloodRaven fan. Targ bastards ftw!

97. LordStarkington
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I voted for #3 but it looks like the 2nd group is running away with it

98. David The Grey
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

What a dilemma! I can’t convince myself to buy multiple sets just for the box art.

However, even if I could, I wouldn’t know which one to pick – the old sigils returning (to pay honor for House Stark, of course) or the new sigils. When I do collect things, I am a bit of a completist, so I am thinking the new sigils probably would appeal to me the most.
    So yeah, that puts the character face designs at the bottom of the list for me, I think I’d even prefer the shadowy dragon over the character faces.

99. Arya Dunyett
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Just want to add Happy Birthday wishes to Iain Glen, the young bear, and handsome champion of khaleesies. Hope this is another banner year for him.

100. Nick_Scryer
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Good god the normal packaging is hideous :(

Not sure which to buy now, I have the normal Season 1 & 2 blu ray’s, Season 3 will look horrible next to them.

Hopefully HBO releases the House Sigil sleeves to purchase, that would be sick.

101. Easteros bunny
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Lol!

As if the minor houses DVD covers are going to win. The stark one will win.

Why does it take so long for the DVD to come out? It’s a joke ! Release it at Xmas bro!

102. Kelsey Catherine
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

is it REALLY that difficult to market Game of Thrones things to Canada too, HBO? For Christ’s sake, I can SPIT into the US from my parents place.

Yeah, I can cross the border for fancy packaging and then pay duty at the border, but when will you appreciate that HBO Canada fans are just as easy to market to? We even have Best Buys. Sigh. reason number #22 I’m unsubscribing to HBO.

103. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Easteros bunny,

If I didn’t miss out on getting the Stark sigil from Season 1 I would be really upset that they left this up to a vote. Stannis’ flaming heart sigil cover better be available next season.

104. Zag
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Stannis the mannis!!!!

105. Eleanor
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

I never liked those character posters, aesthetically.

Though they did work well at being eyecatching on the sides of bus-stops etc. I was in Lisbon on holiday just around when S3 was starting and my friends had to deal with LOOK! all the time from taxis.

Posted June 24, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Kelsey Catherine:

The special covers were available in Canada last time (at Best Buys). Probably this time too.

Unfortunately, they’re only for the Blu-rays. I still buy DVDs, and I’m really unhappy with the horrible, horrible dragon shadow. I still can’t believe someone made that decision. The only time it looked good was in the newspaper full page ad, and on bus stops, etc. It looks cheap and amateur on the paperback book, and will probably look terrible on the DVDs.

107. The Lightning Lord
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Why not get the Blu-Rays? Don’t you want to see bit, nook, and cranny of the show, of every episode? You realize the Blu-Rays for the show have been rated the best on Blu-ray.com for the past two seasons, right?

108. ebevan91
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Buy the Blu-Ray version if it comes with the DVD and digital version like season 2 did.

That’s what I did and I don’t even have a Blu-Ray player.

It was also $5 cheaper than the standard DVD version.

109. Team Stannis
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

is this a joke?!?!??!??? why would they bring back the same packing for a different season? i’m sorry but whoever came up with the idea to bring back the old exclusive art is for lack of a better word dumb. i’m fine with choosing between tyrion, jon, dany and Tyrell, baratheon, and tully. As for stark, targaryen and lannister no thank you

Posted June 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

The Lightning Lord,

Because I don’t own a Blu-ray player, am not interested in owning a Blu-ray player, and my TV is not fully HD. Personally, I still think Blu-rays are a scam. The trend is moving towards digital anyway, so why should I buy all this new equipment when my DVDs are perfectly fine? Also, the animated Westeros histories are all available on youtube.

Also, even if the Blu-ray sets do include a DVD copy, they don’t match my other season sets. I’m sticking to DVD.

Shame about the ugly-ass dragon shadow, though.

111. GeekFurious
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

This should be a sticky on the entire site flashing 24/7 in neon pink.

112. Unbowd UnbentUnHodor
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

why cant they release this for christmas :( The stannis one looks amazing!

113. feyrband
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

craaaap. I’ve got Stark and Lannister and really want Targaryen, but I want Stanni’s too, argh. Hopefully they’ll keep bringing them back for future seasons. They should really just print a ton of those covers and have them all available. So people can buy any season and get the ones they need.

114. Restore The Day
    Posted June 24, 2013 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Considering i just HAD to go with kraken last year, I’m really hoping I can get my hands on the lion this time around!
    And yay/boo for broadening the options to 3. As if it wasn’t hard enough before.

115. DavyJones
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Are people really making a “them and us” attitude with book/show fans?

I am disappoint.

116. Zack
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:23 am | Permalink
  117. GeekFurious
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Lex:
    The Lightning Lord,

Personally, I still think Blu-rays are a scam. The trend is moving towards digital anyway, so why should I buy all thisnew equipment when my DVDs are perfectly fine?

I like this completely irrational analysis.

Of course Blu-Rays are a “scam” because your TV isn’t fully HD and you like your DVDs. So… naturally. SCAM!

Also, the trend toward digital isn’t accurate. The vast majority of the world is limited not by bandwidth but by data. Yes, in the US you get a nice cheap Internet that is kind of slow but you get crazy amount of data to download with it and they don’t charge you extra!

So you can download 50 HD movies a month and they may just throttle you a little.

Whereas in the rest of the world you download an HD movie (and I am talking real HD, not that streaming crap you see on Netflix etc, which is not remotely HD, more like wannabe HD) and your ISP cuts you off or you pay extra. And it’s not a little bit extra, it’s a lot extra.

So why would you do that when you can get ACTUAL high def on Blu-Ray for pretty cheap? And, if you have a killer sound system, the best possible audio in the world!

The trend is toward Blu-Ray… for the foreseeable future. Like the next 10 years.

Scam… hilarity!

118. Kelsey Catherine
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:54 am | Permalink

Lex,

yeah, I don’t do blueray. Maybe if I upgrade to a new Xbox, but meh.

I just think it’s BS that they treat HBO Canada customers so poorly. They make me cranky. I never post anymore, and this one got me out swingin’

119. Paradise Lost
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:42 am | Permalink

I would be happy with any of the house sigil covers, but alas it’s not to be in Germany. :-(

120. Restore The Day
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:36 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Mmmh, you know there are a lot of places in Europe and Asia with much faster and cheaper broadband internet, many of which with no cap, right?

121. Dornishman
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:59 am | Permalink

Tyrell and Tully please!

Maybe next season we’ll get Martell and Bolton.

Starks are a bore.

122. Roots&Wings
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:28 am | Permalink

I’ve always wanted to be able to look back at my blueray collection once the series is over and have every seasons box in a different house’s banners. It’d make sense because it was supposed to be 7 seasons, and now that some books are split they can even add other houses like Bolton and Frey too.

123. Rygar
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:31 am | Permalink

HBO GO is the way to go. If you don’t have this free with your subscription then either you A) downlload illegally or B) your provider does not offer it. If its the latter than form a rebellion in your circles and make it happen. Either way….Omar comin’ yo.

124. voiceareason
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

They’re already breaking sale records, the demand is just so high. G They don’t need to release at christmas, particularly since they want to create buzz for next season closer to it’s premiere.

125. gosensgo
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

ebevan91,

whats a casual fan?

126. Turncloak
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

gosensgo,

A casual fan is someone who watches the show casually

127. MRR
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

AJN:
    Call me crazy, but does the “face option” subtly hint at:
    three heads of the dragon ?

You’re crazy.

Do you really think that Best Buy’s marketing team have that much inside information on some of the bigger late-series mysteries?

128. MRR
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I really don’t like the idea of limited-edition box covers. In the end I want a set that looks cohesive on my shelf, and I’m sure as hell not buying three copies of a DVD set just to get each version of the art.

gosensgo:
    ebevan91,

whats a casual fan?

It’s a thinly-veiled attempt to deride people’s preferences by suggesting that their lack of dedication to a television program somehow gives their opinions less value than someone who watches each episode 5 times and posts comments to a news site dedicated to the show. Basically, it’s nose-in-the-air elitism.

129. bon
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Dear God. Stannis is losing…………. again.

130. loco73
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I always like the effort that HBO puts into the release of its products. It is a premium network and its products feel the same way. From the actual production values of their shows, to the class of actors they attract, the sheer variety of subjects and themes they cover, its all good. And then they certainly don’t cheap-out on their DVD/Blue-ray sets. I own more shows and miniseries from HBO than from any other network. Same for soundtracks…

Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

I should probably have been more clear, when I called Blu-ray a scam. I don’t mean it’s a complete scam for everyone. But I do think they’re a high-end product that only some people should get. A luxury item, not a standard one. I can understand a desire for near-perfect audio and video. But that’s a personal preference, and I honestly still find DVDs to be at least 95% as good. The push for everyone to move towards Blu-ray is completely ridiculous. They are not, and should not be, essential for everyone.

I grew up watching VHS tapes, which were maybe a 6/10 in terms of video & audio quality. They were also extremely vulnerable to damage, wear and tear. Then along came DVDs. The video & audio quality is, IMO, 9/10. The sound is sooo much better than VHS. And they’re infinitely more durable. And so, I spent quite a bit of money building a DVD collection over the last 12 years.

But there is still NO compelling reason for me to buy Blu-ray. IMO, the video/quality goes from an 8 or 9/10 to a 9.5 or 10/10. That’s not a big enough jump, for me, to be worth it. Not nearly the same jump in quality from VHS to DVD. And despite having a background in music and audio, DVD audio still sounds fantastic to me. Even if I bought a better TV, and replaced my favourite movies with Blu-ray, I sit about 8 feet away from the screen and can guarantee that I would barely be able to tell the difference.

Not to mention the lack of portability. Sure, it might change… but right now, I still can’t play Blu-rays in my computer, my Xbox, at work, at school, at my friend’s houses, etc. And I think the cases look ugly as shit on the shelf, far worse than DVD cases.

And as I do live in N. America, I’ve never experienced this bandwidth vs. data issue you mentioned. For me, streaming and downloading is easy, fast, and basically unlimited. In fact, I find myself getting rid of some DVDs and reducing the size of my collection.

So remind me, why exactly should I start buying Blu-rays? Oh right, no reason at all.

132. loco73
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Agreed

133. Lyanna_Targaryen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I am a die hard Stark bannerwoman who is now putting her eggs in the Khaleesi’s basket, but the Tully and Baratheon covers are calling my name….

134. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Lex,

You may want to test your DVDs in a Blue-ray player. The one I have (Sony) does an excellent job of upconverting the DVD picture via a fairly complex and ultra-efficient video translation algorithm. I won’t bother migrating my large collection of DVDs but I’ve found that newer movies (especially Pixar flicks and other F/X intensive flicks) demand the capabilities of Blue-ray. If you have a 1080p Plasma/LED system with 5 speakers/acoustimass there is a significant difference when viewing/hearing a movie in DVD vs Blue-ray mode. Very few TV series are worth Blue-ray though (GoT being an exception). As an audio/video-phile and with prices dropping considerably, there is no reason to go back to DVD.

Although, in all truthfulness, I expect Blue-rays to be OBE and irrelevent soon given the increased capability of national networks and Netflix/Amazon/Other content delivery systems.

135. Iron Born
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

What!!! NO BOLTON SIGIL! Lame..I was hoping for that one. Next season yeah?! I guess it would be to soon for a House Frey….ha

1. […] official press release, which Winter is Coming posted, shares remarks from HBO. “We love that Game of Thrones fans are so passionate and […]