Slynt, Lysa and Rorge set to return for S4
By Ours is the Fury on in Casting, Filming.

RorgeWith filming of Game of Thrones‘s season four due to begin in early July, more returning cast updates are rolling in.

According to the Shepperd-Fox Theatrical Agency, Andy Beckwith will “shortly begin shooting the fourth season,” resuming the role of Rorge. Rorge was last seen at Harrenhal, in the season two episode “The Prince of Winterfell” when Arya was searching for Jaqen H’ghar.

Kate Dickie is confirmed to be filming this year by her representation, Hunwick Hughes, who also mention Daniel Portman‘s expected return as Pod Payne in the same news section. Dickie was reported to be filming last year as well for season three and it is believed that scenes involving her character Lysa Arryn were cut before airing.

And finally, sources have unofficially confirmed for WiC that Dominic Carter will be returning in season four as Janos Slynt, the former Commander of the City Watch who was forced into the Night’s Watch by Tyrion in season two.

Ours is the Fury: Great to see these actors returning! The consistency is very reassuring, Slynt and Rorge are wonderfully nasty characters, and I love the storyline with Lysa in A Storm of Swords. It’s going to be an exciting season.

1. M
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I wonder if the deleted scenes will make it onto the BluRays? I hope so.

2. Alice
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

M,

I am quite sure they will be incorporated into season 4.

3. GeekFurious
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait for that one Lysa scene all book readers know and love.

Hodor.

Frodo lives.

4. Javi Marcos
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Rorge is pretty suspicious…

Maybe D&D will include the chapters of Brienne of AFFC next season, pretty condensed (she’d leave King’s Landing in episode 4, fight at the inn in Episode 8 or 9 and face Lady Stoneheart in the season finale). I’d love it, her travelogue was horrible in my opinion and the sooner it’s resolved, the better

5. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Sadly, the part of Biter has been given to woodchuck.

And where is Polliver, I wonder?!?

6. ytdn
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I wonder if Rorge will be part of the Mountain’s crew that Arya & Sandor come across at the Inn? Since there was no Brave Companions, Rorge wouldn’t switch over and have to flee, so he’d still be part of the Lannister contigent, and last we saw he was staying in Harrenhal with the Mountain.

7. gisizzlah
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Wooooot!!! yea!! this gives us some clues for further speculation on s4….

Maybe i need to re-read ASOS… i thought Rorge doesnt show up until AFFC…

8. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

ytdn,

ytdn has not learned of the spoiler button

9. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Remember to use spoiler coding, everyone!

10. ytdn
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak,

Ah, I’m so sorry! I completely screwed up there! Thankyou to whoever put in the spoiler tags,

11. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

ytdn,

This is a good guess. I read somewhere that the actor who plays Polliver tweeted a couple of months back that he would be returning to Belfast to film for S4.

12. darquemode
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

ytdn,

I was wondering the same thing when I read Rorge is returning!
    Maybe we will see some pillaging of towns as the Hound?

I won’t be disappointed though if he does meet up with Brienne since that means her adventures will be included in the series.! Some people want that arc scrapped, but I want to see Brienne and Pod’s (ad maybe Gendry’s too) awesome adventure!

13. Nick_Scryer
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Yay! Keep these coming!

I love when their is continuity in shows regarding actors, and the fact that GOT is doing so well with easily the biggest cast on tv is amazing.

14. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I’m glad Rorge will return, I enjoyed his harshness…..

15. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap: I read somewhere that the actor who plays Polliver tweeted a couple of months back that he would be returning to Belfast to film for S4.

Yeah, I saw this exchange too. His CV’s not accessible to confirm it, but I think it’s a safe bet that Polliver will back this season. I’m not worried about him.
    I get the feeling we’ll see Biter too. His agency website doesn’t do news or updates so there’s not really any way to tell with that actor.

16. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

As I said in the Thorne thread, the continuity on the show is first class. If you see an actor appear once then you can guarantee that 99% of the time they will reappear if necessary to the plot regardless of how long the gap between appearances may be. Its this consistency that gives me no doubt at all that we will also see Polliver reappear with Needle when encountered by Arya and Hound. As someone mentioned above, I also wouldn’t be surprised if we see Rorge and Bitter also at the inn along with Polliver. Locke can be the antagonist in the Brienne storyline and Rorge and Bitter replace the Tickler in being a couple more evil characters for Arya and Hound to take out.

17. Alen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

They should bring back season 1 Mountain

Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Awesome, always glad to see more great actors/characters returning!

Slynt is one of my most-hated characters in the books.

19. JP Dayne
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I’m SO happy they decided to bringa Thorne and Slynt back! ;~~
    Rorge was a very cuttable character I think, and Lysa is not a surprise

20. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Alen,

Given the fact that they apparently had Ian Whyte on set before they even bothered telling the previous Mountain what was up, I doubt that’s going to happen. I do not think the parting was on good terms. It would be best if the fans just moved on.

21. darquemode
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Good to know!

Thanks for the spoiler tags BTW..

Did the casting call rumor at Casablancas end up being a non-event?
    I never saw any real release or more details, but I know that company is dubious. My friend used to model and act and was warned about them although this was a long time ago.

22. Michael274
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

gisizzlah,

They said times and times again that they don’t do book to season anymore and are adapting the series as a whole . Which means some plotlines from future books are going to be in season 4 and the rest of the future seasons like season 3 with Theon .

23. darkshot117
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Its unfortunate that we probably wont get Conan Stevens to play the Mountain again, but I really hope they recast with an actor that fits the role better than the Season 2 actor. Granted, he didn’t have much to do in season 2, so that actor was fine. But I’d be fine with another recasting as long as we get someone who fits the role for the upcoming season.

Conan was perfect, but Ian Whyte was far from the next best choice.

24. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

That casting call sheet was the same casting call that Extras NI always puts out. Casablancas posted it to their site. So it wasn’t particular to Tampa. False alarm.

25. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I can’t wait to see Dillane’s Stannis walk out and see Janos on the chopping block, shrug and then walk back to his quarters.

Epic scene.

26. Cary Storm
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

ytdn: I don’t see him playing his role in the books as an enemy to Brienne, just because there isn’t the same emotional punch to it- Brienne was victimised by the Brave Companions, and then goes on to take them down. I still think that Locke will play that role, since he’s still alive and he’s too good of a villain to get killed offscreen like Vargo Hoat.

This makes a lot of sense, I can see Locke returning just for those scenes with Brienne in Season 5 or 6!!!

27. darquemode
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Good to know, thanks!

I did not think they would be casting for Americans, but it did confuse me and make me wonder for a second or two.

28. John-Michael
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

As was said, I’m loving the consistency. :)

29. Oz of Thrones
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Oh, my Crazy Lysa shall return.

I am mustering support for one of the Eps of Season 4 to be called Lysafinger.

Breast-feeding boys, Unite!

30. Bryon
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Lem Lemoncloak…. anyone? Hope he is introduced by the time we meetLS

31. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I really cant see them recasting the Mountain again so its looking like it will be Ian Whyte once again this season. Do you guys think that he will be capable of pulling off an epic battle with the Viper? If they give him the armour Conan wore in season 1 and get the choreography spot on then surely it cant be that bad right? I would also include a couple of scenes to show just how evil the Mountain can be in earlier episodes so by the time the battle comes around the viewers know exactly who he is and what he is capable of.

32. Michael274
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Bryon,

He’s been cut and merged with Anguy or Thoros . Let it go !

33. loco73
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I am glad that all these actors are returning to the show. If you are a sullied, you know why, if you are an unsullied think consistency and continuity…

34. MRR
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: Given the fact that they apparently had Ian Whyte on set before they even bothered telling the previous Mountain what was up, I doubt that’s going to happen.

Really? I had always just heard that it was a scheduling conflict with The Hobbit’s filming…

35. The Rabbit
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Good news.
    I think that the cutting of the Vale storyline from the S3 was a good decision.

36. Joey
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

we gotta see some biter

37. Nick_Scryer
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Considering Lysa is back and Sweetrobin was also back for their cut Season 3 scene, I assume he’ll be back for S4 too. Let’s try and make a list of possible returning characters this year, any I missed?

Lancel Lannister
    Kevan Lannister
    Shireen Baratheon
    Selyse Baratheon
    Rast
    Karl (Burn Gorman’s character)
    Locke
    Quaithe
    Rattleshirt
    Dontos
    Polliver
    Kovarro
    Marillion
    Anguy
    Thoros of Myr
    Beric Dondarrion
    Lady Stoneheart
    Biter
    Mord
    GIANTS!! (Need more than one tall actor?)

Also, I’m really interested to see if we’ll hear any news about whether or not the actors who play the following are returning:

Rickon
    Osha
    Edmure
    Roslin
    Blackfish

38. vlad
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Slynt is back, yaaaay, fetch the block!!! :) I am worried about Rorge, maybe he will be part of Arya’s story.

39. mariamb
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Excellent on all counts. I love casting news!

40. loco73
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I still want Conan Stevens back as The Mountain!!!! The guy was impressive even in the few scenes he had. He is exactly how I pictured The Mountain will look like!!!! WTF would you not want him back?!?!? Nina Gold chose him for a reason, and when seeing him on the show it was very clearly why, Stevens can be the true merciless, maniacal , remorseless beast that The Mountain is! Ian Whyte, even though he is tall, he does not have the necessary muscle mass and physical presence to do The Mountain justice (no disrespect to Mr. Whyte). I don’t want The Mountain to look like a lamp stand with a tiny head on top of it! I want The Mountain to scare the shit out of me, and make me wet my adult diappers!

41. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

MRR,

That was what we heard, but when there are awkward moments like THIS in the post where Ian Whyte’s casting was announced….

“I would like to say thanks to WIC for yet again letting us actors know what is happening.” Sounds like Conan didn’t know Whyte was taking over his role. So you have to wonder how good his relationship with D&D was at that point. I really doubt Stevens is ever coming back.

42. Jake Umber
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

I wonder if they will leave out Edmure and the Blackfish next season and save it for the following. I think it may get difficult to juggle all of the storylines moving forward, but then again, they could be cutting a lot of unintroduced storylines to fit them in.

Also, I highly doubt Burn Gorman will be coming back. I was grateful that he was cast and included, but he may be too big of an actor for such small (and made up) scenes since he isn’t a book character. Let’s hope he returns somehow, though.

43. Matt
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

What anout Kevan Lannister???? Cammaaaaannn

Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Man, I liked Conan too, but it annoys me to see so little support for Ian Whyte. They definitely need to give him better armour, costume, and lose the stupid Lannister Helmet, but he won me over with his deep sinister voice in the Harrenhal scenes. In all honesty, he may be a much stronger actor than Stevens. And, as Fury says, it sounds like there could be a somewhat less-than-friendly relationship between Stevens and D&D. I understand where people are coming from, but I wish they would stop asking for what will never happen, and accept Whyte.

45. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Sigh. Thus begins the ritual in every casting announcement: “Who cares, what about XYZ!!” It used to be “What about the Reeds!!1!”

Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Matt:
    What anout Kevan Lannister???? Cammaaaaannn

I was never thrilled with the casting for Kevan. The guy was okay, but not nearly memorable enough. Nor did he really look like much of a Lannister. I’d be okay with a recast.

Let’s hope Lancel comes back too. I missed him this season.

47. Roger König
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

ytdn:

Great thoughts. I totally agree and hope it happends like this :)

@Topic:
    Great to have them all back! :)

48. darkshot117
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I am indeed glad that all of the actors in the above mentioned article are returning, because they were all great! (Is that enough positivity? :P)

49. Morgan King
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

What do you all think they’ll do with casting The Mountain for this season? I almost like the theory that they’ll replace him in his big scene with Bronn just so we don’t have to confuse his recasting any further.

50. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

I don’t think Marillion will be back because he lost his tongue. They will just write in a new character or cut it altogether. Maybe give the role to Dontos even? He could get drunk, try to molest Sansa and then become Lysa’s favorite fool.</b

I'm glad the Janos is coming back. He is so much fun to hate!

I agree that it's time to get over the Mountain issue. The 1st Mountain isn't coming back. He just isn't.

51. Matt
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Lex,

are you joking? its not about the actor, its about the character! and I, like most, HATE re-casting, so I NEED to know if the actor is coming back to play Kevan as he has a HUGE part to play in the coming seasons

52. Voiceareason
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I would take that with a pinch of salt. We don’t have the full details, it could be that Stevans is trying to place the blame with D&D when he was in the wrong, but without all the details, it’s difficult to ascertain.

53. Nick_Scryer
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

The fact that he has no tongue means he can’t protest to having just killed Lysa, and that makes it even better IMO.

54. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Lex:

I didn’t like Whyte’s performance to be honest. He may be tall, but he’s no Gregor.
    Maybe he’ll look better with his own armor, I agree. Get rid of the generic Lannister armor and the silly helmet.
    Maybe it’s time to move on, but I’m glad people didn’t just forget about Conan. The fact that they’re still asking for Conan goes to show that Whyte didn’t do a good job.

55. Jentario
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Oz of Thrones:
    Oh, my Crazy Lysa shall return.

I am mustering support for one of the Eps of Season 4 to be called Lysafinger.

Breast-feeding boys, Unite!

Ready and willing!

56. Jentario
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Hey, seems I was wrong about Slynt not returning. Which is great! Not because it would have been SUCH a loss (as I’ve stated before, the character is easily replaceable- though its still better to stick to the source where you can) but because it means GoT doesn’t fail to return cast members to the play even when it happens years apart. This trait will solve a lot of issues in the future (when characters will continue to disappear and reappear).

57. darquemode
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

At first I assumed his tongue removal meant he was done on the series, but I like the idea of the silent minstrel taint blame for Littlefiner! XD

I know the series he now stars in (The Paradise) is currently filming series 2 , but I think it’s possible could be done in time to make the Thrones shooting schedule.

58. jarnomiedema
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

With regards to Ian White / Conan Stevens: the latter was more physically intimidating, while the former seems to be the better actor. One is tall and buff, whereas the other is tall and slim. Recasting is the worst option, so as far as I’m concerned, I hope they’ll change his armor a bit (give us the three Clegane hounds on a field of yellow!) to make him look heavier and more intimidating. Who knows? Maybe mr. White hit the gym after finishing season two?

As far as other potential returning characters, I think we can rule out the Night’s Watch guys at Craster’s Keep, although I wouldn’t mind seeing them meet their grizzly ends at the hands of the Others..

59. MRR
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Valdred Dethstorm: The fact that they’re still asking for Conan goes to show that Whyte didn’t do a good job.

I think people are perhaps being a little too quick to judge an actor who had what, a single line in all of season 2? I think what we saw of Gregor in S2 has as much to do with the writers and directors as it does with Whyte himself. You can say it’s Whyte if you want, but I don’t really think we’ve seen enough of him to really know for certain.

60. Voiceareason
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Valdred Dethstorm,

Keep in mind that Conan got to have a really showy scene with the horse beheading and so on, which Whyte hasn’t. It’s not really fair to compare the two when all Whyte was given to do was standing around looking menacing and speaking ominously.

61. Nick_Scryer
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

darquemode:
    Nick_Scryer,

Hopefully!
    It would be so cool, he could appear in the first scene that Sansa arrives in the Eyrie and Lysa could mention that he was her favourite singer/that he had a beautiful voice before Joffrey cut his tongue out.

He could be asked by Lysa to bring Alayne to her quarters, then as they’re walking he might begin to recognize her but can’t tell anyone. Sansa tells LF that she thinks the singer knows her identity. Adding a bit of Drama, will she be outed?

Then the rest happens. Of course…Mord might be an easier character to blame and only needs a single scene.

62. Boojam
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

No reason for Andy Kellegher who played Polliver season 2 to be around season 3, but he’s important to season 4 for a particular scene.

I had thought Laura Pradelska (Quaithe ) might have re-appeared in season 3 briefly but no.

I would think there are few actors, especially ‘character actors’ who have been on the series to turn down a spot no matter matter how short. The popularity of the show has given a lot of actors exposure they never would have gotten otherwise.

63. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I just felt the need to alert you all that there is a contestant on Jeopardy named Podrick!!
    It’s spelled Padraic but pronounced Podrick. Important!

64. Richard Weetabix
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Interesting. I do hope they’ll cast someone more, well, mountainous for S4. Whyte’s a pretty sorry placeholder.

65. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Maybe I’m a bit unfair, that’s true. But you got to admit that Charles Dance really nails the role of Tywin Lannister, and manages to look menacing without having to behead horses. Same goes with Michael McElhatton as Roose Bolton. He didn’t appear much before the Red Wedding, but he managed to sell the character.
    I think Whyte had more screen time than Conan, and more dialogue, but he didn’t look “Gregor-y” to me. Conan did.
    Nothing personal against the guy, I love his performances as creatures, like in the AVP movies, but I still think casting him as Gregor was a mistake.
    Maybe I’ll be proven wrong in Season 4. Time will tell.

66. Jentario
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Richard Weetabix:
    Ours is the Fury,

Interesting.I do hope they’ll cast someone more, well, mountainous for S4.Whyte’s a pretty sorry placeholder.

All they need is huge armor, and smart camera work to make Ian Whyte look as huge as he should look. The thing that’s more worrying is the voice, but if his voice won’t fit they can easily have someone else voice-act his scenes in pre-production, like Darth Vader.

67. WildSeed
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Any word of little Robert ‘s ( Arryn ) return ?

68. Selmy
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Good news!!

I personally think that Rorge will have nothing to do with Brienne’s storyline like in the books. I think he will be with Polliver at the inn and will be killed by Arya/ The Hound. I think that the person Brienne will bump into next season is Locke.

69. KG
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink
  70. Cavegirl
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry to disturbe this thread and would be even more if it was posted already :

Game of Thrones HBO screening & commentary

off

“A GOLDEN CROWN ”

with

Jason Momoa & Peter Dinklage & a surprise guest

I’ll be one of the first ones to buy my ticket on Friday ;)

71. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

If there was, we would have posted it.He was in the season three scenes with Lysa (Kate Dickie) though, so I assume he’ll be back for season four as well.

72. Sean C.
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Selmy: s storyline like in the books. I think will be with Polliver at the inn and will be killed by Arya/ The Hound. I think that the person Brienne will bump into next season is Locke.

Brienne bumping into Locke really wouldn’t make any sense. He’s a Bolton man, he’d go back north with Roose, not wander around the Riverlands.

73. ytdn
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Sean C.: Brienne bumping into Locke really wouldn’t make any sense.He’s a Bolton man, he’d go back north with Roose, not wander around the Riverlands.

Except for the small fact that Locke chopped Jaime’s hand off. Roose would hand him over to the Lannisters on a silver platter. I’m pretty sure that the next we hear of him is him fleeing Harrenhal in the wake of the Mountain coming to take his head.

74. JRR Tzolkin
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

75. Set Dingleberry
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

Pretty sure they dubbed his voice in season 2 already, i thought the season 2 voice was pretty good myself, all we ever heard of conan’s voice was “SWORD!” so who knows how well he would deliver his lines, he was a much more intense looking Mountain though.

76. Sean C.
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

JRR Tzolkin: Actually it makes all the sense in the world, when you realize that Ramsay knows Bran and Rickon are still alive. His father may very well send Locke on a search for the Stark boys. In which case, he could bump straight into Brienne when Jaime sends her looking for Sansa, once the girl escapes from KL.

Why would he be looking for Bran and Rickon in the Riverlands?

77. JRR Tzolkin
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Sean C.: Why would he be looking for Bran and Rickon in the Riverlands?

He doesn’t necessarily have to go looking for them in the Riverlands, though with a little imagination, a few scenarios are possible…

Keep in mind that neither of Roose nor Ramsay know where Bran and Rickon went after they escaped Winterfell. So, IMO, it’s perfectly understandable for Roose to suspect that the boys may have headed south to look for their mother and brother (the way Arya did, even when Roose doesn’t know it. The audience does, so if this were to be his line of thinking, it would make sense to them). Roose could easily order Locke to conduct a search for the boys in the Riverlands whilst Ramsay does the same in the north. And then, boom! Locke runs smack dab into the “Maiden fair”.

Another, simpler choice would be…

Roose sending Locke to find the Stark boys and he bumps straight into Brienne whilst making his way north.

If the show really wishes to bring Brienne and Locke together again, they can do so easily.

78. joaquin
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

I wonder if they will show osha and rickon. They dont have material in the books but the actress that was playing osha is really intresting and, if they include theon on this season they might do sth.

79. Restore The Day
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

I’m starting to doubt we’ll see Strong Belwas. Sadness.

80. Blutrabe
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

When will people start to realize that it was the costume department who screwed up S2 Gregor and not Ian Whyte?

81. Mescalinic
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

i agree..but there is actually a second possibility (not a strong one, but still..) :
    we should have the famous duel in the 4° season. I honestly feel that they need to show some of the Mountain’s badassery BEFORE the duel, to make more clear how hard is for Tyrion to find a possible champion

so, it can go in 2 ways: 1) Locke in season4 is killed by Brienne during her trip (and she will cut his hand before killing him or 2) Locke in season 4 is still in Harrenhall and is killed by Gregor, and that scene will be used to show Gregor’s strenght, badassery, sadism, and stuff

82. Arkash
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I think the best idea in regard to the Mountain would be to have him crossing ways with Arya and the Hound, thus playing again the brothers relationship and remaining of his violence.

83. KingJon
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Great to see actors returning from previous seasons. Nothing annoys me more than bringing in a new actor to play an old role. Wish they could’ve maintained that with the Mountain and Beric Dondarrion, but oh well. The actress that played Lysa was very good, it would have been disappointing to see that role rec**st. Does anyone know if lil Robin is returning? That kid was creepy!

84. Michael274
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

KingJon,

The actor who played Beric in season 1 was an extra . They needed someone who could fill the role better as his role was larger in season 3 .

85. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

” Oh Petyr Oh OH OH PETYR”

I wonder if we’ll see/hear that scene.

86. KingJon
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Michael274,

Yes I know, just wish there could’ve been consistency. That’s all.

87. argilac's antler
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Restore The Day:
    I’m starting to doubt we’ll see Strong Belwas. Sadness.

You should doubt it. Didn’t GRRM even confirm that Strong Belwas is a character that was cut from the show? Not just an episode or season, the entire show.

88. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

It would be best if D & D listened to fans and did what’s best for the show.

89. KingJon
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

I agree with what others are saying in that Rorge will return and meet his demise in the Arya storyline. Maybe she will sneak attack Polliver by cutting his throat and quickly snatching needle for a faceoff with Rorge while the Hound slaughters everyone else. That’d be nice. Valar Morghulis. And I also believe Locke will be returning to torment Brienne in the future. Makes sense to me.

90. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

argilac’s antler,

Strong Belwas was cut so D & D could create pointless scenes for Theon.

91. Spidey-Dan
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Gregor was actually wearing Clegane armor in s2. Look at the breastplate. It’s the same as the one he wore in s1 and the same as Sandor wears. Only his helm was Lannister, probably because the helm he wore in s1 didn’t show his face at all.

The problem was that they didn’t give him the shoulder pieces that he was wearing in season 1, so his shoulders weren’t at all prominent. They just sloped right down into his narrow frame and made him look much thinner as a result. With the shoulder pieces in place, he would have looked far more imposing. A misstep on the costumers’ part, I would say.

Even so, I did prefer Stevens’s portrayal to Whyte’s. His anger, in particular, made a much stronger impression. Whyte seemed mildly annoyed at his best, aloof at his worst.

Still, what is not to be is not to be, and I hope that Whyte is more imposing with the role in s4, assuming he will be the one to return.

92. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

I just have a hard time picturing Ian Whyte doing justice to one of if not my favorite moment from the books. Conan Stevans has the presence, physique and brute characteristics to make that moment epic.

93. KingJon
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

KingJon,

On second thought, Polliver will most likely get the ‘Is there gold in the village kill’ at the end of the Inn scene. And a whole new twisted scenario could be invented for Arya killing Rorge.

94. WildSeed
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    WildSeed,

I read here, some months ago, that he would be returning. There was mention
    of his not being of age to view the show himself, as advocated by his mom.
    He’s an interesting little boy, by all means.

I must have missed the scene , with Kate Dickie, from S3, must have been
    a brief one.

95. WildSeed
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Restore The Day:
    I’m starting to doubt we’ll see Strong Belwas. Sadness.

Forget the doubt. The fact has been made known, sad to say.

96. Chickenduck
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    argilac’s antler,

Strong Belwas was cut so D & D could create pointless scenes for Theon.

No, he was cut because:

1. Dany’s entourage is already a bit heavy for TV.
    2. Belwas doesn’t actually do anything that couldn’t be done by someone else.

I’ve said it before, but I just straight-out don’t like the character. He’s the epitome for me of the underdeveloped native Esseoan characters. Almost like a bad He-Man sidekick, who speaks pidgin, slaps his belly for comedic effect, and takes shits in public. It’s a caricature of the “brown savage”.

Let’s visit backwards-land for a moment – can you imagine if he wasn’t in the books and D&D had invented him for the show? It would be decried as the stupidest invention in the history of TV adaptations… Ros would be a fan favourite in comparison.

Think about it… Can you not hear Elio et al saying “WHAT?! THEY INVENTED A CHARACTER TO TAKE A DUMP IN FRONT OF EVERYBODY AND WIPE WITH THE OTHER GUY’S CLOAK?!!! D&D ARE MOROOOOOOOOOOONNSSSSS.”

But who knows… Maybe he’ll be introduced as a liberated slave fighter when they get to Meereen.

97. Chickenduck
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

joaquin:

I would absolutely LOVE it if they write Skagos out entirely and show Osha and Rickon making it to the Last Hearth. Mostly because Clive Mantle is awesome and I’d totally love seeing him again.

But sadly, Clive might have gone the way of Conan.

98. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

On a positive note: Karliene who has been posting good to great covers of ASOIAF ballads just covered the Dornishman’s wife.
    I got myself salivating for season 4 now.

99. Josla
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Please please please Wic…. confirm that Conan Stevens is coming back… I want it so badly!!!!
    My hope tank is runing low though…

100. sunspear
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: alk out and see Janos on the chopping block, shrug and then walk back to his quarters.

Replace ‘shrug’ with ‘slight nod of approval’ and I couldn’t agree more.

101. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

A nod is acceptable as well. It will be a great moment regardless.

102. berkelberkel
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Blutrabe,

This.

To everyone complaining that Ian Whyte doesn’t have the physical presence to pull off this character, I’d like to point you to some of his other work. See if you can spot him.

(Slightly dumb video with Prometheus spoilers)

It’s up to the support staff (directors, costumer designer, choreographers, etc) to make it work.

103. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

berkelberkel,

We saw him as The Mountain in Season 2 and he didn’t look intimidating at all.

104. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Nope, Belwas was cut because D & D felt the need to give Theon scenes that weren’t needed.

105. Turncloak
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Belwas is a complete waste of space. He’s Dany’s Areo Hotah

106. sunspear
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

I would have to say that the Theon/Ramsay scenes were far better than anything Strong Belwas could have done.

107. berkelberkel
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

You’ve missed my point. Whyte is certainly capable of an intimidating physical presence. That it didn’t show up in S2 is not the fault of the actor, it’s the fault of the costume designers and directors.

108. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

You make it seem like D and D are trolls and want to waste their time and effort to piss off the fans? I think there is a little more to it than that.

D and D have made mistakes yes, but put the adaptation In the hands of a fan and the show wouldn’t have even been greenlit. Also, given the uproar of Dany’s Myhsa scene, Belwas would add a whole new dimension to the controversy. He works on paper but not on film. They were wise to cut him.

109. Turncloak
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Season 4 line prediction!

She’s been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Podrick for all I know

110. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

GTFO yeah cause Ramsay waving about a sausage and those two pointless naked chicks really eclipsed Belwas winning Dany a whole city with one duel.

Theon’s arc has been badly rushed and D & D completely botched the reveal of Ramsay, hardly any non book readers were moved by that storyline.

111. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Look I love D & D and I am grateful for them bringing this gargantuan series to TV but lately their decisions and tinkering with the story has left me baffled and annoyed.

Season 1 is by far the best one we’ve had and it’s because D & D pratically adapted 90% of the book and didn’t mess around too much with the arcs. When they attempt to beef out storylines because there is few POV chapters of that character in the books it hurts the show, just look at Dany in S2 and Theon in S3.

112. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Belwas was a racist stereotype or at least he would be interpreted that way. Maybe D and D could whitewash him? That would go over well. It’s a damned if you don’t, damned if you do scenario. The raging controversy with the end of season 3 would have hit the stratosphere if Belwas was in.

Personally, he felt like a reject from Conan the Destroyer.

113. Mormegil
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Jake Umber:
    Nick_Scryer,

The Mutineers turn up again in Brans plotline in the books only to be killed by Coldhands and then eaten by Summer and his Wolfpack. Pretty sure we’ll get something like this in the show but probably with a more direct attack on Brans group. They could even be attacked by the Deserters before they meet Coldhands and have him turn up to save them.

114. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck: I would absolutely LOVE it if they write Skagos out entirely and show Osha and Rickon making it to the Last Hearth.Mostly because Clive Mantle is awesome and I’d totally love seeing him again.

But sadly, Clive might have gone the way of Conan.

They could do both. Presuming a season 5, you could have Season 4 involve the Umbers, and the known threat of Ramsey Bolton wanting the north to pay fealty to him means the Umbers elect to push them to go to Skagos.

As for Janos Slynt, I figured he’d be back. However, I don’t see us seeing the chopping block in this season – Season 5 early feels about right.

115. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

The first book was by far the easiest to adapt to screen. Most non-book readers can’t keep track of half the characters and storylines already. Now imagine if D&D had included more of the characters and subplots from these bloated books. The fact is that Belwas is an easy character to cut(pun intended). Barristan Selmy, a great character, was lost in the shuffle during the second half of the season because there were too many characters serving as Dany’s advisers/guards.

116. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

And if they had adapted the books verbatim it would never had worked. The show is way too popular and dependent on several demographics for its success: Book readers, action loving UnSullied, HBO demographic, non HBO demographic, Unsullied fantasy fan etc. To keep the show going you have to strike a balance between all those groups because its expensive to make. This was going to be a polarizing series from the get go.

The reason why season 1 is considered the best for most people (my favourite is season 3) is because like the book it has a tight focus. After AGOT the storylines branch out. On paper this was deftly executed. But on film it is a problematic to do especially with the budget. I think there are several shots to the foot that as made this a weak adaptation for some people:
    1) only 10 episodes a season. A reality.
    2) the need to give popular characters more screen time: more Dany despite her small presence = less Theon arc = no properRamsay introduction. It’s also a catch 22 because the PoV structure allows Ramsay to do what he does easily on the page without giving Bolton’s betrayal away. On tv an early intro would cast doubt on Bolton right away.
    3) budget
    4) reality: actor contracts, executive tampering…

One thing I will say that is clear D & D designed this show as a binge watch rather than a week to week experience. I found season 2 a million times more enjoyable on a marathon viewing. So much show that the episode Prince of Winterfell (a heavily criticized episode on its intial airing) is one of the best episodes in the series. The Theon scenes will be more appreciated in time mark my words.

117. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Janos Slynt returning signals to me that the vote for a new Lord Commander may happen in season 4 and not be pushed back into season 5.

118. Ser Tahu
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,
    More likely season 4 line prediction:
    She’s been fucking Lancel and Bronn and Podrick for all I know

119. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

That’s certainly possible and would make sense. It’s the kind of thing you’d see in a season finale, too.

Regarding Strong Belwas, he’d probably work if introduced in Season 5 as one of many who pleads with Danys to keep the fighting pits open. But his actions in earlier books are less important to the narrative, and would have ended up overshadowing the likes of Selmy, Missandei, Jorah and (later) Daario. She’s got a pretty big advisory council now – those 4 plus Grey Worm, and we haven’t even gotten to the folks in Meereen, and we don’t know how many we’ll see (betting we’ll get Reznak and Hizdar, and the Shavepate gets eliminated).

Glad to see the very minor characters, like Rorge, coming back. He’s disgusting. And he makes enough of an impression in both cases yelling at Arya that people will remember, “Oh, yeah, isn’t he that gross guy?” Polliver too, for that matter.

120. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen: It would be best if D & D listened to fans and did what’s best for the show.

Listening to the fans is not a good way to run a show. We all have different opinions. It would make the show a mess if D&D just tried to please all of us.

WildSeed: I must have missed the scene , with Kate Dickie, from S3, must have been a brief one.

Sorry I wasn’t clear- you didn’t miss the scene- it was cut, as I mentioned in the original post above.

121. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    Turncloak,
    More likely season 4 line prediction:
    She’s been fucking Lancel and Bronn and Podrick for all I know

Not Bronn. I don’t see the plot playing out that way.

Yes to Lancel. Yes to Podrick (thrown in as a joke). But Bronn? No.

People keep speculating on who will replace the Kettleblacks and they keep coming around to Bronn. But Bronn, as a character, especially on the show, is way too cunning and mistrustful of most to really end up in a position as Cersei’s lackey. I still prefer the suggestions that Bronn either A) accompany Jaime to the Riverlands or B) (my idea) have him befriend Ellaria Sand and accompany her to Dorne to take Areo Hotah’s role in Season 5.

No, the Kettleblacks are collectively lackeys, fools and morons, unquestioning in their devotion to a corrupt idiot. We have a character perfectly useful for this purpose – Meryn Trant – who has been already shown to be a thuggish creep well-suited to be used up by Cersei.

122. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

The majority of fans don’t like Ian Whyte as The Mountain and want Conan back.

123. KG
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

argilac’s antler,

Good he’s pointless.

124. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I am not asking for each page to reach the screen though and I know that’s not feasible because of the limitations with tv, all I am asking is for D & D to be as faithful as possible and not create unnecessary scenes for actors just because they are popular and that character disappears from the book or has few chapters in it. I know not every character is going to be able to fit in the show but some wouldn’t be chopped if D & D stopped inflating certain characters arcs.

I don’t agree at all that popular characters need extra scenes, less is more.

Theon’s scenes from S2 were brilliant, Theon’s scenes from S3 were rushed and over the top.

125. Chickenduck
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Al Swearengen,

You make it seem like D and D are trolls and want to waste their time and effort to piss off the fans?I think there is a little more to it than that.

I salute you, ser Joshua.

To be fair, D&D ARE fans of the books. They are massive ASOIAF Book Nerds.

It’s just that ALL book fans have different opinions!

I’m not sure why so many fans don’t understand that. I get kind of insulted by people assuming that every book reader thinks the same way about whatever tertiary character they don’t include.

126. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Corrupt idiot? To quote Emma Frost “at least half that phrase is true” .
    Littlefinger is definitely corrupt but not an idiot. Your Bronn spec is dead on by the way. And regarding Ser Meryn, in season 3 you see him guarding Cersei sans Joffrey.

127. Chickenduck
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Al Swearengen,

Personally, he felt like a reject from Conan the Destroyer.

This is exactly how I feel about it. At the end of the day, Belwas as a character is a bit… racist.

Can you imagine a (non-villain) white character being written to do what he does? And yet, people are happy to imagine a brown guy doing it, and even applaud him as great comic relief.

What does that say about us as a readership?

128. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

How do you know that? Just because they are more vocal doesn’t make them the majority. The majority of the fans are non-book readers and could give a fuck about who is playing a character who has been in a grand total of 3 or 4 scenes. I personally don’t think it matters who the hell plays the Mountain. He only has one more line of dialogue left and he basically just stands there swinging wildly at the Red Viper, who will dominate the scene.

129. Chickenduck
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Maybe the Greatjon could be among the Northmen at the wedding of Ramsay and Fake Arya (or whoever replaces her), pretending to be all chummy? It’d make sense as a character we already know… He could make wisecracks with Lord Manderly and share a slice of Titus reference.

130. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

It’s not for you to agree with, it’s a reality of the business. GoT is a product. HBO does not give two shits about blind faithfulness. They leave that to D & D. if some exec hears that despite audience research reports regarding Dany becoming an iconic figure, they will pressure D and D to make sure she gets more screen time. Can you imagine the board meetings? ” So this Dany character she will have more to do in season 2? No? Wait who the fuck is Theon? Isn’t that the bastard? They all look the fucking same! So you are going to give this weaselly punk who no one really cared about in season 1 more scenes over Ms. Clarke? Are you out of your fucking mind?”
    I’m sure that discussion never took place but D and D knew that it would.

All I’m saying is the more you accept the realities of the adaptation the more you will appreciate the show or forgive it for certain misteps. It’s okay to criticize it for its form and its script of course but there are factors out of one’s control.

131. KG
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Tough. I believe he cut his own throat when he went online and publicly slagged the editing of his fight scene.

132. Turncloak
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

So looks like we now can slap Joffrey in a video game!!! (Or Jeffrey but it still works!)

Check out the Borderlands 2 Game of Thrones hilarious easter egg

133. Paul Blackfyre
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Wow, these are great news. So, Lysa and Robin will be back; Slynt and Thorne will be back; Pyp and Aemon will also probably return for Season 4; and Rorge too!

What about Biter and Polliver? Will they make it?

134. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

KG,

Eh fences can be mended.

135. Ser Tahu
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,
    I never before considered Meryn Trant for that role, but now that I think about it that works quite well. As for Bronn, although I like the idea of him replacing Areo, I don’t see how it would work. I don’t see Doran, who is possibly the single most cautious man in the seven kingdoms, trusting a sellsword who was known to be in the service of a Lannister. I think that if Bronn was to go to Dorne he would be more likely to replace the Darkstar.

Anyway, here are some predictions for how some characters will be combined/handled in the coming season(s), as well as my predictions for Bran and Rickon’s storylines:

The Kettleblacks: Although I just mentioned another possibility, I still think they could make it possible for Bronn and Cersei to have an affar. them having an affair is not the same as Bronn being Cersei’s lackey

Rorge/Bite/Polliver/Locke: I personally like the idea that Rorge, Biter and Polliver will be the ones that Arya comes across in the Inn, while Locke will replace Rorge as the antagonist for Brienne. From a character perspective it also makes a lot of sense given the events of seasons 2 and 3 for this to be the case. The hatred between Arya and Rorge has already been well established, as has the hatred between Locke and Brienne, so this would work well emotionally. The only problem I can see with this from a story perspective is the possibility that Locke may remain at Harrenhal to demonstrate the brutality of Gregor, leaving Brienne without an antagonist (unless Rorge and Biter split up, which I don’t see happening)

In Essos:If we ever do see Belwas (and I actually hope we don’t, he was a dreadful character), it will likely be in season 5 or 6 as one of the Meereenese pit fighters. As for the siege of Meereen, I believe elements of the siege of Yunkai from the books (specifically getting a sellsword company drunk) will be used, with the company protecting Meereen being the Storm Crows lead by Sallor the Bald, and taken over by Brown Ben Plumm after the battle when they swear themselves to Daenerys.

Bran and co: There is a theory that someone mentioned that Rast and Karl will act as antagonists for them in season 4, which could work well. However, my preferred theory is that the first few episodes will contain backstory (read: the knight of the laughing tree). I think they will then take refuge in an abandoned wildling village (possibly Craster’s keep). The set up will be kind of similar to the Same the Slayer scene, with all of the crows, and they will be attacked by a group of wights (Rast and co), and will be saved by Coldhands. Either that will close out their storyline or we will get a scene with them talking to Coldhands. Season 5 will then follow the ADwD stuff, and probably end with them reaching the cave, and the season 6 will contain the last ADwD chapter and start on the TWoW stuff. Oh, and just for the record I am of the opinion that Coldhands is the reanimated corpse of Benjen.

Rickon/Osha: I think we may get one scene with them early in the season, then there will be an invented storyline with Ramsay/Reek hunting them in the second half of the season, ending with Theon saving them somehow. Season 5 will be them deciding that not even the North is safe, so they head to Skagos, with them getting there at the end of the season. season 6 will then end with either them meeting Davos, or them about to depart back to the mainland with Davos.

136. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I have a hard time believing HBO interfere at all they’re not a movie studio. This is the network that brought us The Wire and yet they’re suddenly going to care because casual fans think Khaleesi is cool ? nope not buying it at all.

The realities and limitations of TV are well aware to me and I am under no allusions about getting the perfect adapatation. The decisions I have issues with have nothing to do with those and are coming from D & D’s odd choices when it comes to certain characters arcs.

137. ATG
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Awesome fucking news! So excited for season 4 I cannot wait!

138. JD
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Excellent news, between this and news of alliser returning yesterday i am a happy man

now, tell me Kevan & Lancel Lannister will be returning!

139. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

No offense but D and D are not David Simon and GoT is not The Wire. Simon was given free reign to do what he wanted because he was a trusted and respected figure in television. Also the Wire was not a very expensive show to make in comparison to other dramas. Not to mention NO ONE watched the Wire except TV critics and those with taste. The series gained a second surge of popularity way too late in its run.
    And HBO is a film production company. They make films and cinematic quality teleplays, several actually. Hollywood stars appear in their feature films and its best character actors populate its dramas ans comedies. If you think they don’t meddle in an enormously popular and expensive tv series then well I can’t really say any more than that.

Cutting Emilia in season 2 so Theon could be developed would not have gone over well. Its the Elio Effect: They were damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

140. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck: This is exactly how I feel about it.At the end of the day, Belwas as a character is a bit… racist.

Can you imagine a (non-villain) white character being written to do what he does?And yet, people are happy to imagine a brown guy doing it, and even applaud him as great comic relief.

What does that say about us as a readership?

Yes, I can imagine a white character doing what he does.
    Seriously, some people just want to see racism and controversy when there isn’t any.

141. Arkash
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

I agree with many things you said, and wanted to add my two cents :

Bronn : – Could replace Balon Swann in Dorne.

Mountain / Locke : The brutality of the Mountain could very well be shown at the scene at the inn : Arya and the Hound meet up with Gregor, Polliver, Rorge and Bitter, and having an massive fight happening there with Arya and Sandor barely escpaing Gregor’s wrath. Thus reintroducing the character for the duel with Oberyn.

Rickon / Bolton : There is also the possibility of introducing in a couple of scenes one crewman of Yara who will spot Rickon and Osha and having him take the part of Wex, this could also work… Yara herself could in a potential scenario be linked to the Manderlys..

142. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen: The majority of fans don’t like Ian Whyte as The Mountain and want Conan back.

143. Cary Storm
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

Maybe Bronn should replace Quentyn Martell in his trip over the Narrow Sea to wed Danaerys.

No wait, that sounds like I’m on crack.

144. Al Swearengen
    Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

If D & D don’t care about The Mountain then I fear for season 4.

145. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 12:10 am | Permalink

…there was a rumor that casting was being conducted in Tampa, FL? Where I live and go to school in part for ACTING?!

Seven hells, way to play with my heart…

146. darquemode
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 12:15 am | Permalink

MY 2 bits on The Mountain…
    I could not care less if Conan Stevens returns or not.

Conan Stevens is Gregor come off the page and stepping into our world, as close as one could possibly be. However, having Conan for the Clegane v Clegane fight in Season 1 did not make that fight scene awesome. In fact, IMO it was one of the most lackluster fights of the series. I do not place blame on the actors though. I think the editing or maybe choreography was the issue more so…

That said, in full heavy armor and helmed I think Ian Whyte can do the role just fine. As long as the fight coordinator, director and editing team do their job well the scene will be awesome no matter who is behind the plate mail!

147. darquemode
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 12:55 am | Permalink

darquemode,

Looks like Conan is well aware of fan desires and replied to one in this e-mail.

Here is the relevant bits:

“I have been receiving a fair few emails from fans of Game of Thrones regarding rumours that I might appear in GoT Season 04, in a word I have not been contact for this so I have no idea where the rumours may have originated from.”

and

“If this scene is kept in the TV series I will watch it with interest to see how it is played by Mr. Whyte, it will be good to see how an actor with a different background to myself approaches this scene.

Additional since there are not many of us very tall actors around it will be good for us in general for Mr. Whyte to display his acting abilities so that Hollywood writers notice that there is a growing stable of tall characters they can now write into scripts and cast for. With the Action/Fantasy, Science Fiction and Horror genres perfectly suited to our body types it will be good to get the word out that we are around – hire us!”

148. Chickenduck
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: You cannot speak for “the majority” of fans. The majority of the show’s fans are not on WiC and Westeros. Most people either did not notice or just kind of shrugged when they did notice the Mountain was different. It’s a very minor role. We notice because we know the books, and some other new viewers will notice. Most just don’t care. And I’m pretty sure D&D don’t care because they’ve got bigger fish to fry.

Correct.

I mean, obviously D&D do care about The Mountain in a broad sense, in that “that scene” needs to be awesome. But your point as being that, so long as the scene is awesome, they don’t care who plays The Mountain… that I would assume is correct.

I maintain – The Mountain just needs to be a big guy who can move. That’s about it. He can wear massive armour in order to look big. He doesn’t need to remove his helmet at any point. He needs fighting training and experience. Acting? Not so much.

Whyte COULD do this. He’s a stunt man… He was in Predator etc etc… He was the CGI model for the White Walker in the S2 finale and the Giant early in S3…

Or they could get someone else who’s huge and can move in a suit of armour. It doesn’t matter that much.

Whyte, as general go-to guy on GoT for “tall people and monsters” will probably end up being Robert “Gregorstein” Strong later anyway. So for the sake of continuity…

149. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:29 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I mean for corrupt idiot Cersei, not Littlefinger.

150. darquemode
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:31 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Agreed.
    If it were more of an on-screen role with acting and dialog scenes I would be behind getting Conan back! However, in armor and a helmet and just combat scenes or background… not so much. Just not sure t is as important.

151. sCor
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:36 am | Permalink

They won’t recast the Mountain, plain and simple.

As much as I like Conan Steven, his performance in season 1 consisted of a whole total of 1 word and looking angry in a sword fight and that is not enough to judge, whether an actor is good for his role or not. Not to mention him jumping the boat, once he got a chance at LOTR playing an Orc.

Ian Whyte had extended dialogue scenes and has a very strong voice fit for the mountain. The only thing that was lacking was his armor, and the fact, that he was standing next to Charles Dance in all his scenes, who looks quite large and imposing in his armor.

Also Ian Whyte played other roles, such as some White Walkers as well as the Giant. They won’t dump him, because he is an important asset to the show

152. babar
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:47 am | Permalink

darquemode: If it were more of an on-screen role with acting and dialog scenes I would be behind getting Conan back!

Do you really think that Stevens is a better actor than Whyte?

Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:47 am | Permalink

The weird thing about Conan leaving to film the Hobbit is… he didn’t even appear in The Hobbit! His role (Bolg) was apparently replaced at the last minute by the Azog character (played by Manu Bennett). Hopefully Conan will be in the next one, though.

154. JamesL
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:53 am | Permalink

sCor,

That was not Ian Whytes real voice in S2. They altered it in post production to make it sound deeper.

155. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Oh! Well to paraphrase Miss Frost again: Both those things are true.

156. darquemode
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:55 am | Permalink

babar,

You’re right. Who knows?

I’m not sure honestly going by his one brief scene in Season 1, but he does look the part more than anyone else can hope to.

157. JamesL
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:58 am | Permalink

babar,

I don’t know who is a better actor but I do know that Conan makes for a better Mountain.

158. babar
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Personally, I’m not really impressed by his acting skills.

Posted June 26, 2013 at 2:20 am | Permalink

JamesL:
    sCor,

Where did you see/hear that? Never heard that. Either way, I think he’s probably a better actor and am fine with Ian Whyte as long as they improve the costume/armour.

160. MW
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 2:25 am | Permalink

Hey guys do you think they will recast the Mountain??? How come nobody is talking about this????? I can’t believe Conan didn’t get an Emmy nod for his nuanced horse-head-chop scene. I don’t think there is anyone else who can portray Muscled Guy With Angry Face like Conan.

161. Red Hound
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 2:30 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    argilac’s antler,

Strong Belwas was cut so D & D could create pointless scenes for Theon.

If you think that Theon scenes are pointless…you haven’t been paying attention.

How else would they explain Reek if there are no internal monologues nor flashbacks?

162. Delta1212
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

HBO is famous for interfering minimally in the projects they fund. They might grapple a bit with the budget but they very rarely give notes on content once a show is greenlit. At least, from everything I’ve ever heard.

163. AnneL
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 2:44 am | Permalink

OT has anyone watched the first episode of ‘Crossing Lines’ – good to see Tom Wlaschiha as one of the international investigation team.

164. Pepi
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 2:47 am | Permalink

Matt,

I doubt that, after Kevan appearing in S1 (in which he was even called “uncle” by Tyrion, IIRC) and S2, they’d replace him. Except if he’s unavailable for that reason or another, but at this point, I can see folks taking their time for GoT. So I don’t think we’re in for a lot of recasts in the future. Well, except if someone dies, gets ill, or gets neutralized by some other higher force.

165. Joshua Taylor
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Delta1212,

All I am saying is that it’s not rocket science why Emilia was given a bigger role in season 2.

166. Lou Reed
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 3:10 am | Permalink

I always assumed re-cast Ian White for the role as the Mountain, exactly because he would be perfect for the fight scenes with the Viper Ian is a much more physical actor, and has also worked alot with stunts. If they cast the Viper likewise, we should be in for a h*** of a fight.

167. mags giantsbabe
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 4:10 am | Permalink

The Theon scenes were not pointless. One or two scenes could possibly just have been better executed. Those scenes were not just about showing Theon’s slow physical and psychological breakdown, they were also valuable in building up Ramsey Snow’s character, giving viewers access into how that man behaves and thinks. Otherwise how would viewers know how psychotic he really is?

I like that Janos is back. I can’t wait for the beheading, which will probably happen as a season 4 ender or later in S5. It is one of my favourite defining Jon Snow moments. The boy is killed, and the man is born :)

168. Pepi
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens posted this in regards to him returning for S4. So yeh … Probably no.

169. WildSeed
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 4:27 am | Permalink

mags giantsbabe:

Well struck !

170. Red Hound
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 4:36 am | Permalink

mags giantsbabe:

Totally agreed with the spoiler-blocked part and being one (if not very best) of Jon’s best moments.

171. Jentario
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 5:03 am | Permalink

Lou Reed:

Did you just censor “hell”?

172. GerB40
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 5:35 am | Permalink

With regards to this GregorGate, all we need is an 8 foot tall, 5 foot wide actor who’s as strong as a particularly strong ox with a voice like Barry White with the flu. What’s the problem?

173. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 5:41 am | Permalink

GerB40,

“GregorGate”… It’s got a nice ring to it.

174. Meh
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 5:52 am | Permalink

I don’t really care about Conan Stevens’ acting abilities outside of GoT, but he was perfect as Gregor, IMO. He conveyed his rage so well and managed to remain memorable with just one word of dialogue. That’s saying something. Ian Whyte looked like a teddy bear.

175. babar
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 6:21 am | Permalink

Meh,

The comparison isn’t really fair. Stevens was given an horse beheading and a great fight to convey Gregor’s rage in S1.

Whyte, on the other hand, just had some dialogue to play with in S2. How was he supposed to convey Gregor’s rage exactly?

Stevens didn’t manage to become “memorable” thanks to his delivery of the word “sword”.. he did it because he beheaded a fucking horse in a single swing of his sword. I’m sure Whyte will manage to become memorable as well after his fight against the RV.

176. mags giantsbabe
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 6:47 am | Permalink

Wildseed

:D

Red Hound

For sure, especially the build up to that :)

177. Huge Floppys
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 6:56 am | Permalink

Restore The Day:
    I’m starting to doubt we’ll see Strong Belwas. Sadness.

I think they already said he was gonna be cut from the tv series

178. WompWomp
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Brienne’s meditative journey was actually my favorite part of AFFC. A welcome respite from Cersei’s Slumber Parties.

179. WompWomp
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

babar,

Conan Stevens was capable of literally embodying the role of Gregor. Ian Whyte’s screen presence as Gregor was barely passable movie magic. Even without the action you mentioned, Stevens is a clear cut above Whyte as The Mountain That Rides. Whyte has a more athletic build whereas Stevens has built himself up as a tank. I don’t think Whyte’s stationary appearances in S2 were a mistake. Clearly his physicality doesn’t hold up in motion. Having him sit and stand scarcely maintains the illusion.

Whyte was perfect as the first White Walker on the show. The only letdown was the laughable mask they devised for him, which I only caught by pausing anyway. He’s perfectly built for playing an Other.

180. momoshiro
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

ohh..most of you guys really are sore fanboys. It doesn’t matter who will play Gregor/Mountain. I mean, guy will just have one more major duel with RV then it’s done. It’s really up to HBO,and you guys will like it anyway,most of you. Predicting and hoping for this and that doesn’t help much. Please.

181. babar
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

WompWomp,

So what? Is the Mountain supposed to fight the RV shirtless?

Once he’ll get his armor on (ala S1), Whyte being less bulky than Stevens won’t matter at all.. cause nobody will notice it then.

182. umuckurlife
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Wow. I never saw his comment in that old thread. What a shame it went down like that.

183. Red Hound
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    MRR,

Between what he wrote there and some things I’ve seen in his blog, Conan Stevens seems to be very defensive about his job and skills. Maybe he’s really been under big pressure all his life for one reason or another.

I haven’t seen his acting skills in action, as I don’t like Spartacus, but his “SWORD!” line was amazing. One damn word…

184. Benjen_S
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

If Ian Whyte had been the one to slice a horse in half in Season one, and then had been replaced by Conan Stevens, everyone would still be complaining about how they re-cast “the real Mountain.” When I clicked on this thread, I was hoping for a fun read about speculation involving Rorge and Slynt’s roles in the next season, and instead all I get is the Mountain “debate” that literally happens on every. single. post. Come on, people.

185. Meh
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

It wasn’t the beheading of the horse that convinced me. I didn’t even look that closely because I dislike violence against animals. Stevens just seemed menacing and angry in general, even when he was introduced, while Whyte came across as thoughtful more than anything.
    I can picture Stevens in that scene in Season 4 while I have trouble picturing Whyte. So yeah, I am slightly bitter and why not voice my opinion? I’m worried about S4, but hey, I hope I’ll turn out to be wrong.

186. Eddward
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

LOL given Poderick’s reputation in the TV show, Jaime would probably be much happier if it was Moon Boy instead!

187. TheImp'sNose
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Meh,

I agree it was Conan’s barbaric vibe that sold Gregor in that brief scene. That, and the facial resemblance between Rory (The Hound) and himself, especially with the beards (I can’t see Whyte being related to Rory at all- though I admit this was simply a nice touch and not crucial for the part…)

Having said all that, however, I’m sure they will get the fight sequence right. And it dosen’t really take that much in the way of acting chops to growl, “Some dead man” and “Who?” , followed by his screamed repeat of the Viper’s repeated accusation.

188. TheImp'sNose
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Meh,

1. [...] shepperdfoxtheatricalagency, hunwickhughes, walesonline, Winteriscoming (1, [...]

2. [...] of those characters are confirmed to come back in season [...]

3. [...] je da ce to značiti i povratak Roberta Arryna, njezinog sina, kojeg glumi Lino Favioli. Neslužbeno je potvrđen i Dominic Carter, kao Janos Slynt. Ne možemo zaboraviti njegovu izdaju Neda Starka (Sean Bean) i [...]