The North Remembers: June 2010
By Winter Is Coming on in Editorial.

WiCnet Alternate LogoIt is time for another in our series of The North Remembers posts, where we look back and reminisce about the site and the show’s history. This time, we turn back the calendar to June 2010, a very exciting month for all of us early Game of Thrones fans!

• The first Game of Thrones trailer ever is released! Even though it provided only the tiniest of glimpses of the show, it was still hugely exciting. This now iconic photo of Ned Stark was also released at this time. (Interestingly, the footage in that initial trailer never made it into the show itself, as all of it was scenes from the pilot that were reshot.)
  • Casting news continued to roll in: Kristian Nairn was cast as Hodor, Finn Jones was confirmed as Loras Tyrell and Roy Dotrice joined as Grand Maester Pycelle. Dotrice had to drop out soon after due to an illness, but went on to join the cast again as Pyromancer Hallyne in season 2.
  • Fire and Blood wonders whether Starz’s Camelot will eat into Game of Thrones‘ potential audience. Obviously, that didn’t happen. FaB wasn’t all wrong though as he did accurately predict that Thrones would be the better show.
  • Extras NI sends out a call for extras, including horse riders who look Dothraki. Paul Gude correctly speculates that they may use parts of Northern Ireland as the Dothraki Sea.
  • In other filming news, George R. R. Martin revealed that the Castle Black set would be built at Magheramore quarry.
  • Fans were disappointed to learn that HBO would not be holding a Game of Thrones panel at Comic Con in San Diego. Nowadays, a Comic Con without Thrones would be quite the shock, given its popularity the past two years (Hint hint, HBO! Announce this year’s Comic Con panel already!).

1. Grijnwaald
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Hodor

2. Ser Tahu
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

I always love these posts :P.

Also, to be fair to Camelot it would have (and in my opinion should have) gotten a second season if not for scheduling problems with the main cast, and Jamie Campbell Bower has become my favourite choice to play Young Griff in season 5 (assuming that there aren’t scheduling conflicts with the Mortal Instruments film series that he is going to star in, but I don’t think it will be a problem because Lena Headey is also in that). He was also Waymar Royce in the original pilot, so it would be nice if he did end up back on Thrones.

3. Maxwell James
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Oh man, the concerns over Ned’s chuckle really take me back.

4. Clob
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Bower is nowhere on my list for anything, sorry. Was he not one of the most disliked character casts for Camelot by many? The show wasn’t all that good and was struggling to maintain ~800k initial airing viewers by the end of the season. Bigger fans of the show liked to use the conflicts excuse, which may have held some weight, but I just don’t think it would have ever gained much of a footing. In the end it was probably GoT that ate most of its potential viewers. The quality alongside GoT was comical to me and I would not have continued watching if it had been picked up for an additional season.

5. Ser Tahu
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Clob,
    Camelot’s intial airings usually bounced around between 0.85-1.0, and by comparison the average viewership was about double that of Magic City and Da Vinci’s Demon’s (which both bounce around between 0.35-0.55, and both of which got renewed), and it was roughly on par with the first and last seasons of Spartacus, so as far as Starz goes it did relatively well. So although Game of Thrones (which was by far the better show) certainly didn’t help it, I believe them when they said it was due to scheduling conflicts that it got cancelled.

And as for Bower, I thought it was a mix of the writing for his character and his relative inexperience at the time that let him down, so factoring that in I think he was quite good. But the real decider as far as his acting ability is concerned will be City of Bones, which comes out in mid-late August, where he is one of the two lead actors.

6. Turncloak
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Maxwell James,

I didn’t come here until after season 1 but people whining over a chuckle sounds ridiculous lol

7. Zlatko
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Does anyone know if the pilot can be seen somewhere?

8. Digital510
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

No way, Camelot was terrible and the lead was bad! If it wasn’t for Ava Green I would not have finished the season.

9. Ed
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Wow, looking back in hindsight, I think that’s an awful trailer.

10. jentario
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty sure that GoT’s Comic Con panel was already announced, just not the date and time.
    EDIT: Yes, I think I was right.

11. Daemon
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I might be missing something, but I don’t see a panel like the actual people going. Just that GOT will be there.

12. Abyss
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Zlatko,

No and I doubt that it ever will be. Un-aired pilots rarely get out to the public. Only exception I can think of is Buffy.

13. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Ok, we’re 12 comments in. Time to start asking about Conan Stevens and whining about not having Strong Belwas. :)

14. Zlatko
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

Thanks, didn’t think so. It’s been mentioned so many times before that I was hopeful it had leaked somewhere.

15. Jentario
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Daemon:
    jentario,

I think you’re right, actually. I wonder when they’ll announce it…

16. H. Stark
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

23 nominations for GoT in the Golden Europe Television Awards.

17. TheImp'sNose
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

The tiny amount of footage in the first episode that did get carried over from the unaired pilot drives me a little crazy, especially as regards Ned’s changing hair (black and shorter, dark brown and longer, back and forth)… since they re-shot almost the entire thing, I always wondered just how short on cash they must have been to not re-shoot the Robert/Ned crypt scene, Ned talking to Benjen & Jaime at the feast and the hunting party preparing to leave Winterfell- at least these are the only ones I could tell were from the original pilot. The Hound’s look in that brief exchange w/ Tyrion is really wrong. Ah, well.

18. Endless Giraffe
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

TheImp’sNose,

Personally I thought the black hair was so much better. I wish they kept it.

Posted June 27, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

TheImp’sNose:
    The tiny amount of footage in the first episode that did get carried over from the unaired pilot drives me a little crazy, especially as regards Ned’s changing hair (black and shorter, dark brown and longer, back and forth)… since they re-shot almost the entire thing, I always wondered just how short on cash they must have been to not re-shoot the Robert/Ned crypt scene, Ned talking to Benjen & Jaime at the feast and the hunting party preparing to leave Winterfell- at least these are the only ones I could tell were from the original pilot.The Hound’s look in that brief exchange w/ Tyrion is really wrong. Ah, well.

There’s also Theon’s constantly changing hair colour (blond, brown, black, auburn).

Also, to those talking about Jamie Campbell Bower, just a reminder… he WAS in GOT. He was the original Waymar Royce before the pilot was re-shot. He can be glimpsed in the very first GOT teaser trailer.

20. TheImp'sNose
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Endless Giraffe,

I agree: in the length and style of the rest of season 1, but jet black. Would have worked really well IMHO.

21. sunspear
    Posted June 27, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Ah, that Camelot post was interesting to read. I feel like Walder Frey now:

“Look at us now, Starz! Camelot’s cancelled, Spartacus is cancelled, the Borgias is cancelled, people are getting tired of Downton Abbey, and GoT just tied BB for best show on TV”.

22. Stabward
    Posted June 28, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

BOOM Nostalgia bomb. I remember the first trailer.

Just finished the books so I don’t know how I’m going to get my GoT fix. The new browser MMO looks kinda cool but I’m not much into gaming ( http://mmo-play.com/mmo-blog/what-we-want-to-see-in-a-game-of-thrones-mmo )

I just want more episodes :’-(

- Also on the Camelot discussion. IT WAS AWFUL. End of.

23. Douglas
    Posted June 28, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

What has Downton Abbey got to do with Starz?

24. GerB40
    Posted June 29, 2013 at 5:26 am | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,
    GregorGate re-opened.. Who cares? He’ll be covered head to toe in armour and says a couple of words. And Belwas fights and takes a big shite? As long as THAT fight with the mountain is as epic as it was on paper I’ll be a very happy panda.