Some Croatian location details for S4
By Hear Me Roar on in News, Production.

A few details on Croatian location plans have been revealed in this article. Translated by our reader Andrija (hvala!):

Ridge above Baška Voda

The popular series Game of Thrones or Igra prijestolja, will be, after Dubrovnik, also filmed on the locations on Makarska Riviera, more precisely in Baška Voda.

As Tonći Topić, the head of the Area Managment Office confirmed for The Makarska Chronicle, the sites on the Riviera were visited and an interest was expressed for a few locations, namely the Ridge above Baška Voda, Kačić Manor and a Turkish tower above Promajna.

“Negotiations are ongoing, although it is likely that that the filming will take place in our municipality. We are expecting around 300 extras, which is a very important thing not only for its promotional value but also because of the side benefit of an extend tourist season”, Topić said.

Hear Me Roar: These seem part of production plans concerning the Split area, seeing as Baška Voda is within some 20 miles of the city, to the south. What could they be used for? Looking forward to learning about more new locations in and around Split! (Hint hint, nudge nudge, locals.)

1. Jake
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Hodor!

I am thinking it has to be Dorne. They mention a tower, I am thinking Sunspear’s Tower of the Sun.

2. donnana
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Jake,

Ditto. Or Hodor :P

3. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

There is little chance it is Dorne. They are not going to cast characters like Doran or the Sand Snakes before they are absolutely necessary. And I doubt they will show Oberyn in Dorne, seeing as his introduction will be from Tyrion’s POV in King’s Landing. If they are expecting 300 extra’s, then I suspect it has to do with the Royal Wedding, the arrival of Oberyn and the Dornish Lords in KL, or perhaps the Red Viper/Mountain duel.

4. kevin
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Stannis

5. Yago
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

No Dorne this season people, get over it. There wasn’t any in the third book either, so I don’t get all this.

6. Jake
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Yago,

There was also no Theon in SoS, but here we are.

7. First
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

I am now convinced there will be considerable time spent in Dorne this season. Thes White buildings scream Dorne to me. Why was Ben Kingsley in Belfast reportedly negotiating with HBO? He’ll be Doran Martell. Tyrion and Cersei had a conversation about their enemies in the last episode of Season 3, but they have no apparent enemies left. The Martells are needed as a source of conflict. The Red Viper will be leading a charm offensive/secretly seeking revenge, whilst Doran is contemplating all-out war. I really hope there’s a dinner involving Tywin and RV.

8. darquemode
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

The images always remind of of ASOIAF art I’ve seen for Dorne and Highgarden, but I do not expect to see either next season.

I think they will be using it as The Vale, more specifically the Fingers where Littlefinger meets up with Lysa before heading to the Eyrie.

9. jokay
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Jake,

yeah but theon’s scenes were pretty cheap. dorne would be expensive

10. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Dorne is a desert country. There is far too much green in the landscape for me to believe it is Dorne. Yes, I know about the water gardens, but still, I expect Dorne to be filmed in Morocco.

11. darquemode
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

First,

Isn’t Kingsley in Ireland filming Ender’s Game?

12. mariamb
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Jake:
    Yago,

There was also no Theon in SoS, but here we are.

Thank you. It appears that some events from AFFC and ADWD may get pushed forward into S4. Equally, some events in ASOS may get pushed back. There are a number of reasons why we would not see Dorne in S4. Adhering to the sequence of events in the books is not one of them.

Tyrion Pimpslap:

If the 300 extras are for the arrival of Oberyn and the Dornish Lords in KL, I will be blissfully happy. It is one of my favorite scenes from the books.

13. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

First,

Kingsley is in N. Ireland filming “Our Robot Overlords.”

14. GotterDammerung
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Maybe Meereen?

15. Summer Is Coming
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Yes, The Vale was the one I thought also.

Jake,

But the story of Theon in S3 is based on what happened to him before book 5. Theon left us from point A in book 2 and arrived in point B in book 5. D&D just showed us what happened to him in between those points.

Dorne doesn’t have that kind of possible backstory. Dorne’s story really starts after Oberyn’s death, since that death is the catalyst for that story.

16. utherwolf
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I saw some pictures on google, and I think it could be location for some Fingers scenes.

17. Jentario
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    There is little chance it is Dorne. They are not going to cast characters like Doran or the Sand Snakes before they are absolutely necessary. And I doubt they will show Oberyn in Dorne, seeing as his introduction will be from Tyrion’s POV in King’s Landing.If they are expecting300 extra’s, then I suspect it has to do with the Royal Wedding, the arrival of Oberyn and the Dornish Lords in KL, or perhaps the Red Viper/Mountain duel.

This.

18. Jentario
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe the wait time was this short. Now we’re getting little details every day! I am dreading the day those details will stop…

19. Jentario
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

darquemode:

300 extras for THAT?! It’s likely going to get cut anyway…

20. Jentario
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

kevin:
    Stannis

STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!

21. Justice
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

I do not want Ben Kingsley as Doran Martell

22. darquemode
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

mariamb,

I would love if the extras are for that scene too!
    I loved the arrival…

I wonder if the various locations will be for different regions and scenes in the books.

Maybe they will film Littlefinger at The Fingers, the Dornish party arrival in KL, and maybe the mountains outside Meereen? The ridge and the tower locations could fit any oft those scenes nicely I think.

No idea about the Manor location….
    The extras make me think of the RV vs Gregor.

23. ShadowStalker
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

It could be Dorne… People saying it is too early, they are not following the order of the books anymore. So if they feel that S4 could have an extra story arc added in (because they now have 2 less because Stannis merging with the Wall Arc and Robb/Catelyn arc is gone)… that makes sense… because if they have S5 mapped out and there isn’t any room to put them in there, they could drop them in S4 and then skip a season with the players there.

But I generally agree… it is too early to put them in right now.

24. FlayedManofBK
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

First,

sounds like speculation but would be cool. Also anytime I hear Ben Kingsley’s name I hear Christopher from the Sopranos – “Fuck Ben Kingsley! Danny Baldwin took him to fucking acting school”

25. mariamb
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

darquemode:
    mariamb,

I think so. Some of these locations could easily serve more than one purpose. I must say that Crotia is absolutely beautiful.

26. darquemode
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

No I do not think any of the Vale scenes will have 300 extras, but I do not think the 300 extras will be at every location mentioned.

I’m not sure about that scene getting cut. It is a table setter for the rest of the season at the Eyrie and they do seem to like giving LF as many scenes as they can.

Like you wrote though, those scenes do not need so many extras. My best guess for the extras would be the Dornish arrival or the trial by combat I guess…. ‘m guessing at best though….

27. voiceareason
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

That’s what they want you to think!

28. Davy
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

What about white harbour? I think Davos said “I can find allies for you” at the end of season 3. They might actually introduce White Harbour this season, might tie into that young actress that was cast and it might be that Yara would show up here too. I think the possibilities are endless.

Yes the place might be too hot but they can always make it more snowish I think with GFX effects. It would certainly fit as a good northern spot I think.

29. The Rabbit
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Why they are filming at places I ve never been to???!!! lol

It smells like Mereen to me.

30. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

The coastal part looks a little too southern and sunny to be the fingers. The Iron Islands and Dragonstone scenes were shot in N. Ireland weren’t they? The Fingers seem grim. They are north of the Eyrie, across the bite from White Harbor. They could use the mountains for the climb up to the Eyrie.
    I still think it’s possible that the wedding will be outdoors so they can use hundreds of extras and still have plenty of room for the crew.
    This looks perfect for Oldtown later on.

31. The Rabbit
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Now wondering if they gonna film in Split at all? It was logic to put an audition for extras in Split – but maybe the real location is Baska, not Split.

32. genericUser
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

This is definitely not Dorne and anyone who thinks so should take a look at google maps. Croatia is way to far in the northern part of the mediterranian sea. The Dalmatian coastline if famous for one thing: Big scaly white mountains, so the Vale would be a safe bet. It could also be Mareen, but there is nothing in Croatia that would make this seem plausible.

33. darquemode
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Agreed.
    I thought of Old Town too, but ruled it out for this season.

Hmmm.. I wonder if the tower and hillside could be Deepwood Motte??

34. Seonaidh Ceanneidigh
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

300 extras? Something to do with Joffrey’s wedding?

35. bon
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink
  36. Turncloak
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I think Tyrion Pimpslap maybe right about Kingslanding

37. AA
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

I really think it’s just an extension of Kings Landing. Maybe they want a lot of outside space to do a long wedding procession from the Red Keep to the Great Sept. Then, they could use the same scenery for Cersei’s walk of shame, in the reverse direction, from the Great Sept to the Red Keep, in season 5 or 6.

38. Seonaidh Ceanneidigh
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I was watching Baraka and wow, if only the show had the money to get some of the scenery you see in that movie. There was some stuff in Peru that would be amazing for Tyrion and Jorah’s travels through Essos.

Just a dream of mine…

39. Jake Umber
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Off topic per usual, but Art Parkinson (Rickon) tweeted yesterday “Belfast and dublin in one day sooo many lines so little time !”

There goes the theory that Rickon and Osha will be off screen for some time. I wonder if they’ll arrive at the Last Hearth or have a contrived storyline from D&D. Hmm..

40. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Jake Umber,

So many lines? I like that. It’s a flaw in the books that we’ve gone so long without a peep from Rickon IMO.

41. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait until we find out which actors are going to Iceland film in that meadow. I’d love to know where that is supposed to be.

42. hinka
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I have 3 ideas for the 300 extras

1. People in KL that celebrate the weeding

2. Viewer for the RV Mountain fight

3. Battle at the Wall. Since there will be no filming in iceland while winter they need to show cgi snow anyway (if they want us to show action behind the wall). So they could film Stannis attack in Croatia with the 300 extras.

43. jentario
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

darquemode:
    WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Agreed.
    I thought of Old Town too, but ruled it out for this season.

Hmmm.. I wonder if the tower and hillside could be Deepwood Motte??

It can’t be. Maybe the show will replace it with a new location but this is neither deep in the woods nor a motte. It would be dumb to call it that.

44. Robbet
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Game of Thrones in the category of Best International Show in TVChoice Awards. You can vote.

45. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Jake Umber:

Yes! As several of us have stated, the GoT storyline for S4 will fill in many non-POV story arcs (and expand existing POV story arcs) as they complete ASoS. I doubt they will venture very far into AFfC/ADwD because that is S5+ and in truth, there is so much still to explore and expand upon.

All Sullied know the POV stuff in ASoS that has yet to be covered. Tyrion, Tywin, Sansa, LF, Varys, Cersei, Jaime, Margaery, Olenna, Loras, Brienne, Bronn and the KL gang will be quite entertaining, especially with the RV in the mix. That will be a huge part of S4.

But the outlying stuff will need some extra screenwriting help to complete their arcs before moving into S5 without getting too far into books 4&5.

Dany: If she goes to Meereen, there’s lots of opportunity for interesting side stories: Dragon chaos, Astapor madness, traitors, prophesies

Rickon: Opportunity to develop his character (and Osha & Shaggydog) with Ramsey and Reek in hot pursuit!

Bran: Meets Coldhands and Leaf and deals with wights, WWS, Others and Giants before meeting Bloodraven (S5). He learns about his warging, magic, history, the Others/WW threat, the reason for the wall, etc….maybe even finds Benjen Stark.

Arya: The adventures of the Hound and Arya. Gets Needle back, ambushes traitors/Lannisters, meets up with Nymeria, runs into BwB again (on different terms), saves the Hound, Hound saves her, Inn at the Crossroads, Hound injured, gets info about Saltpans, she leaves the Hound as he is no longer able to continue (maybe giving him a quick death), Valar Morghulis.

Theon/Reek: see Rickon

Jon: Castle Black battles, tragic deaths and politics, dealing with Mance and the “brightest fire the North has ever seen!”

Stannis: Travel to Eastwatch, learns more about the evil beyond the wall and obsidian, travelling to Castle black (wights, WWs, others…), eventually saving the day at CB

Balon: Events/intrigue leading to his death

RV: Many scenes with Tywin, Tyrion, Olenna, Margaery, Cersei, Loras, Jaime, then his mountain battle.

So much to explore in S4 without getting into AFfC/ADwD. Hardly filler either! Damn it should be good!

(Such a fanboy at my age!)

46. robb17
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

i think its for King’s Landing scenes. too much green going on for Dorne. maybe for the Purple Wedding.

47. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Jake Umber:

Me like!

48. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Jake Umber,

Thats really interesting news. Im doubting that they make it to the Last Hearth. Im going to guess that Ramsay will go on the hunt for them which will lead to them getting a boat and sailing to Skagos. This way Ramsay, Theon, Rickon and Osha all have something to do for the season, David and Dan don’t have to introduce another new location and characters (Last Hearth) and the storyline will end up at the same place as it does in the books. This would also give a reason for Theon and Ramsay to not be at the Dreadfort when Yara arrives so they don’t have to drag the plot too far away from the books there either. She can arrive, kill a few Bolton men only to find Theon has gone and then receive word about Balon’s death and Euron sitting the Seastone Chair. Everyone gets something to do for the season and the plots all end up in the same place as they do in the books.

49. Udi
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Will be in Croatia between September 11 and September 18. Short but still…
    Would love to get some info from any Croatians on filming locations (if you have any clues).
    Also, if by some miracle I manage to get some good pics, I will be sure to post them.
    So excited!

50. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Lord Of The Waters,

I like the way you think.

51. woooo
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I’ve always thought Split could be a great oldtown, with the old roman tower and all, though i suppose it would be quite similar to dubrovnik!kings landing.

52. babar
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink
  53. jentario
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Jake Umber:

On the topic of stalking actors twitter feeds, Maisie tweeted “Loas Angeles I’m comin for ya!” Could she be heading to a certain unconfirmed GOT panel?

54. Tyrion Pimpslap

Jack Gleeson
    Natalie Dormer
    Emilia Clarke

55. Jentario
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I would like that… Come on HBO, announce this panel already!

56. Second Son
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

genericUser:

you do, realize, don’t you, that not ALL of dorne is desert-y coastline? there are, ahem… mountains. (stony dornish ring a bell?)

57. voiceareason
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

There is no Charles Dance on this list. This list is invalid.

58. WildSeed
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:

Agree, however this does suit the description of the above mentioned water garden
    residence of Doran Martell. There’s no ruling out filming there for a later
    screen introduction.

59. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Second Son,

Why would they shoot scenes in the mountains of Dorne, though? Why would any scenes in Dorne make sense for S4?

60. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

voiceareason,

The more the merrier!

61. WildSeed
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

darquemode:
    WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Agreed.
    I thought of Old Town too, but ruled it out for this season.

Hmmm.. I wonder if the tower and hillside could be Deepwood Motte??

DeepWood Mott is surrounded by forest and miles from the sea ( or ocean ).

62. King DBC
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I love when the info like this starts rolling in.

63. That Stark boy
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Jake,

Yeah, but in the Red Wedding – in the books – Roose says his son has been flaying Theon for a time (he even gives Robb a bit of Theon’s skin, ugh), but we get to see Dorne in the books after the Oberyn/Mountain duel, when one of his daughters is pissed about her father’s death and go to Doran to urge him to war the Lannisters. Considering that the combat occurs in consequence of Joffrey’s wedding and it is the second best event of the book I am among those who think we will see the combat in the 9th episode and Dorne only on Season 5. I’m not saying I like it, but I hardly think they will use a whole new location for maybe only one episode.

64. wargsareawesome
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

It’s not gonna be the Vale… we’ve already been to the Vale, way back in Season One, and I doubt they are gonna move…

65. Bethany
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Looking at the location picture above and at pictures of the other two sites mentioned in the article, I’m getting strong Mountains of the Moon/Bloody Gate/foothills of MoM vibes and the white beach kind of makes me think Saltpans. 300 extras could be people milling around in Saltpans. Dorne isn’t out of the question, I guess, but Kačić Manor (aka Mirabela Fortress) looks way more like some outlier of Eyrie architecture (Bloody Gate?) than what I imagine as Sunspear.

66. Bethany
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

wargsareawesome,

I don’t think we had outdoor shots, though, did we? I mean non-CGI’ed, real-landscape outdoor shots?

67. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

WTF Makarska, I went there on holidays 10 years ago, is were my brother in-laws go on vacation from Sarajevo every summer XD

68. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Some of the highlights over there are the Islands in front of Makarska, Hvar and Bol

Btw its definitely more tan 20m south of Split, the roads are pretty bad…more like 1h

69. Second Son
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Second Son,

Why would they shoot scenes in the mountains of Dorne,though?Why would any scenes in Dorne make sense for S4?

they wouldn’t, and i have no idea what they plan on filming at this location. i just didn’t like genericUser’s tone, and the implication that if it wasn’t a hot, sandy coast, then it couldn’t be dorne. (and no, i can’t see why d&d would bother with dorne this season. they can introduce the culture, etc. through oberyn and his retinue and save locations and more casting until season 5.)

70. Knodde
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

OMG! They are going to film where I am going on vacation this summer! :-D

71. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

i think that that the location in that photo will be used for meereen, dorne’s a bit early at this point and there’s a mountain in the background of this photo. Or they could just be expanding the sets of KL.
    Either way, it has to be either more KL, Slavers Bay, or perhaps Braavos, anything north of KL would be Northern Ireland territory

72. Chickenduck
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Well, they’re only filming there for a short period. So maybe Arya’s entry to Braavos could be shot here and happen in ep 10.

Croatia certainly has some freaking beautiful locations though!! I need to visit there at some point…

73. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Is 3 weeks considered a short period of time, all things considered? I believe they are only scheduled to film in Dubrovnik for 10 more days than in Split and the surrounding areas. And I remember reading that they only filmed for 2 or 3 weeks in Dubrovnik last year.

74. outdoorcats
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

I would bet…very small amounts of money, but MONEY nonetheless, that the ridge will be used for the Vale/surrounding mountains. Even though it’s not an important scene to the series, I think the showrunners will want to take advantage of the ‘cinematic’ possibilities inherent in showing Sansa ascending to the Vale, in some detail, as they did with Jon/Ygritte climbing the wall this season. Note that the article specifically states the producers are interested in ‘The Ridge’ above Baška Voda, not Baška Voda itself. So people should be paying attention to the mountain, not the town in the foreground, in the picture. Right?

As for the other two locations – the manor, the tower – who knows, they could be a big number of things, but I suspect they will simply be part of expanding King’s Landing with new locations/exteriors.

75. Alan
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Chickenduck,

Depends on what you are filming. A simple four-minute two-people-talking-at-a-desk-scene might only take a day of shooting — you might even knock out a couple.

But I believe they said the RW took a week — and action scenes can take a really, really long time. Especially if they are outdoors (light and weather restrict filming hours).

76. outdoorcats
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

bon,

That would make a great Braavos, in my humble opinion.

77. outdoorcats
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

wargsareawesome,

Really? Season 1′s Vale was a few stony places in Ireland that barely looked elevated above sea level. The show has a bigger budget now, why wouldn’t they move just as they did for King’s Landing (to Dubrovnik) in Seasons 2 and 3?

Bethany,

Thanks for the pictures of Mirabela Fortress – oh my goodness, that HAS to be one of the gates leading up to the Vale (assuming they actually decide to film there). A somewhat ruined-looking, very weathered castle wall with a tower practically built into a sheer, rocky mountain slope? What else could it possibly be?

78. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

They have a lot of ground to cover in season 4. Dorne? Too early and not necessary. They may want to film only one or two scenes in Sunspear though, for the viewers to understand where the RV comes from and his motives.

But if everything is in white with a red roof, it can’t be KL, at least not the city. And it doesn’t look a bit like Braavos. I’ll admit, Braavos may be the thing I am most eager to see on screen, even more than Battle of the Wall

79. Ser Tahu
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Jake,
    Yes, but Theon was an already established character.

As for the location, my first thought was the Vale, but I don’t see why that would need that many extras. So I think the most likely possibilities are Oberyn arriving at King’s Landing, and Meereen. Braavos is also an unlikely possibility (I think Arya’s season 4 plot will end with her on the boat nearing Braavos, with the Titan on the horizon)

80. WildSeed
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Sorry about that, I mistook your post for another. I actually do believe this is
    for a later -to – be – introduced, Dorne scene .

81. mags giantsbabe
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 12:28 am | Permalink

With regards to the SDCC panel, someone on a tumblr mentioned that Esme Bianco said on twitter that she will be going. So if it’s true (which is great), has any official panel list come out yet, WiC? I can’t find any info.

82. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 12:30 am | Permalink

There’s no official list yet.

83. Chickenduck
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 12:32 am | Permalink

OMG – if you haven’t already googled it, check out Mirabella Fortress, just outside of Split.

If it turns out they’re filming here rather than in the actual town, then maybe it is the Vale afterall… one of the gates on the road up to the Eyrie? The extras could be Littlefinger’s entourage bringing him and Sansa up there?

84. Ser Tahu
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 12:53 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,
    Nice find, I quite like this idea.

85. Dorian
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 2:47 am | Permalink

There’s not going to be any Dorne in the show at all (thankfully) so the reaction when Season 5 starts and its completely absent is going to be pretty amusing for a Dorne-arc-hater like me.

86. Ser Tahu
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Off-topic: Winter, now that two new actors have been confirmed for season 4, and numerous actors from seasons 1 and 2 have been confirmed to return, will you be making a season 4 cast page on the site?

Dorian,
    And your source for this information is…? Your own delusions? Dorne will be in the show in some form or another, it has already been set up.

87. chris77
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 2:56 am | Permalink

Hmm, a tower in Dorne HOLY XXXX has to be a late flashback of the Tower of Joy

Just kidding of course…

It could of course be Dorne (though I think they will use a hotter more dry landscape for that) or Braavos (I would bet they will go to Venice for that one) but I think that it might be an early introduction of White Harbour. After all Davos will need something to do this season and they could use those scenes to deepen the horror of the RW while it is still relatively fresh in the viewers memories. This would also give us a hint at the identity of the young actress that was cast. After they mentioned the Rat King story last season, I am sure they will include this story arc, though I wish they would have had a named Manderlay extra at the RW.

88. Wintry Spy
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 4:08 am | Permalink

What the …??? Dorne is a desert place and Sunspear is close to what Jerusalem is
    They may use this place as the White Harbor of Manderly the harbor that Arya used to leave for Braavos

89. vlad
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 4:14 am | Permalink

It would be weird to see Dorne, maybe Oberyn on his way to KL passes near the Tower of Joy and we hear the Dornish side of the story??? :)

90. Lou Reed
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 5:08 am | Permalink

Throwing my 5 cents into this good fun.

It looks like how I Picture Highgarden, but I couldnt say why they would go there at all.

It is probably Sunspear, but it would be awesome if it was the Tower of Joy. Likely this is not anything north of Kings Landing.

91. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 5:56 am | Permalink

Wintry Spy:
    They may use this place as the White Harbor of Manderly or the harbor that Arya used to leave for Braavos

92. Beyza
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 6:59 am | Permalink

If they want to use a turkish tower, it’s probably for shooting Dorne! Dorne is kind of Mediterranean; a lot of descriptions reminded me of Turkey, Egypt, Greece etc. They even used turkish and arabic recipes in the Cook Book.

I HOPE it’s for Dorne, wouldn’t that be awesome?? :))

93. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Beyza:

I HOPE it’s for Dorne, wouldn’t that be awesome?? :))

Dorne is Al-Andalus (southern spain+northern africa),

with Sunspear+watergardens being Granada+Alhambra (see post above)

94. tysnow
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 7:40 am | Permalink

outdoorcats,

After looking at that Tower and also the ridges (which resemble the terrain used for the Eyrie shot in season 1, it has to be the Sky gate), with the mountain wall behind that fortress, it would make a stunning backdrop for LF’s entourage in the small courtyard preparing to take the lift.

95. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Please remember, this is not a spoiler-free-for-all zone, everyone, so you’ve to use spoiler coding. It’s getting a little hairy in this and in the Young Actress post. If you’re discussing anything that hasn’t happened with certainty, like Joff’s wedding actually occurring and what happens there (because an engagement is not a wedding) or Arya going to Braavos, please cover it.

96. First
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano: What, Jerusalem?? you’re some 1500 years off, Sunspear = Alhambra/Granada in 1492 ad…

97. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 8:31 am | Permalink

First,

Not to mention GRRM actually did cite Palestine as one of the inspirations for Dorne, so Jerusalem is a perfectly valid comparison. I do think the Water Gardens are meant to seem like Alhambra but there’s no reason both places can’t be the inspiration.

98. Dorian
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Dorian,

And how has it been set up? Myrcella going to Dorne? Bah. No one who hasn’t read the books cares, nevermind all the people who have and don’t (like myself. I didn’t find the chapters or the place boring or poorly written. But they’re pointless.)

If anything actually important happens in Dorne in WOW or ADOS, maybe we’ll see it, but the AFFC/ADWD pointless-exercise-in-pointlessness … I don’t see it.

99. Davy
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Dorian: Its just pretty obvious that its going to be cut. The show doesn’t have the time to waste on such an ultimately pointless sideshow that has no effect on the main plot. The entire thing can be yadda-yadda’d off-screen, all that matters in the Dorne arc is Quentyn showing up in Meereen

100. Ser Tahu
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Am I the only one that really doesn’t want to see Dorne in season 4, and isn’t looking for it in every location post? Don’t get me wrong, I love Dorne and think that the Dornish story arc in book 4 was both interesting and relevant to the saga (and Quentyn is a brilliant character, so back off with the undeserved Quentyn-hate please), but it makes no sense for us to see Dorne itself until season 5.

As for the location, although I think it looks like something that you would see in the Vale, I am still thrown off by the extras.

101. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

First: You do know that Jerusalem is an actual place, that exists, to this day? It was not just the setting of a fictional Bible story.

Ofc lol, but the last reconstruction of Jerusalem was some 20 years before christ, so the general architecture of the old city is around 2000 years old and 1500 years before what was the inspiration for Sunspear, the Alhambra

102. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    First,

Yeah one thing is having Palestine as one of the inspirations for Dorne and a totally different thing is to say ” Sunspear is close to what Jerusalem is”.
    No, Sunspear is close to what Granada was/Alhambra is, and since Jerusalem and Alhambra are some odd 1500y apart in their construction, thats why I said he was 1500y off ;)

103. Carne
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Probably just more King’s Landing as others have said. I imagine they’ve sucked Dubrovnik pretty dry.

104. maya
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Jutarnji List is writing that all locations around Split are revealed:

1. Basements of Diocletian Palace (1 or 2 days of filming at most)

2. Klis Fortress (around 5 days)

3. Baška Voda – several locations, mostly mountain parts

4. Žrnovnica quarry above Split for desert scenes

105. Zvonko
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

More photos of Klis Fortress

106. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

maya:
    Jutarnji List is writing that all locations around Split are revealed:

1. Basements of Diocletian Palace (1 or 2 days of filming at most)

2. Klis Fortress (around 5 days)

3. Baška Voda – several locations, mostly mountain parts

4. Žrnovnica quarry above Split for desert scenes

Thanks for the info…that certainly puts Dorne back on the table. Also, lot’s of mountain sceneries, so the Vale could not be far fetched. I don’t think Mereen makes much sense if they are still shooting in Morocco, and I think we can discard Braavos. And some of those could be for KL. Let’s see point by point

1- The Red Keep Dungeons? Some building in Dorne?

2- That fortress reminds me of Alhambra from afar, wich would mean Dorne again…but it also reminds me of how I envisioned the Eyre while Reading the books, before the show used a Byzantine inspired building instead. I can’t recall if there are any other Vale fortresses on the book

3- Mountains is either Dorne or the Vale

4- If it’s confirmed it’s for desert scenes, it can only be Dorne or Mereen, but why go there for Mereen if they are filming in Morocco. If the desert comment was made by the poster and not the source it could be a nice place to either build a set, or to film somethink like The Mountain and the RV duel and then add CGI

So yeah, it’s fun to speculate :P

107. Jordan
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Some of those do look rather Dornish. Since I hope this doesn’t mean whitewashing of Dorne (by having Croats- is that the correct term?- standing in for Dornish), I wonder if there will perhaps be a scene filmed in Split of Oberyn and a few other characters right before they depart for Kings Landing.

This will be an interior scene, not a crowd scene.

108. corax
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

article here also mentions that shoot will happen in split’s diocletian palace’s cellars for couple of days, near Makarska but also at medieval fortress of Klis (no suprise – amazing scenery there) and Žrnovnica – they mention that in quarry near Žrnovnica might be locations for desert scenes.

109. The Rabbit
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

The most interesting part of the new revelead location is Klis fortress. I can see it in any part of Westeros to be honest.

Diocleatian basement: probably KL.

Zirovnica: probably Mereen.

I wonder if there was a confirmation for Morroco for S4. Can not remember if they mentioned it yet. If Morroco is out, I would say most of locations in Split and Baska would serve as Mereen.

110. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Zvonko:
    More photos of Klis Fortress

Or maybe they decided to move entirely from Morocco to Croatia for convenience sake for seasons 5 and beyond and decided to make that Mereen

Color me confused :P

111. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Jordan:
    Pau Soriano,

Some of those do look rather Dornish.Since I hope this doesn’t mean whitewashing of Dorne (by having Croats- is that the correct term?- standing in for Dornish), I wonder if there will perhaps be a scene filmed in Splitof Oberyn and a few other characters right before they depart for Kings Landing.

This will be an interior scene, not a crowd scene.

Well croats are as mediterraneans as you can be, so fits perfectly the dornishman in my opinion

112. Lord_Grimjaur
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

No way that Morroco is out, unles they pay hundreds of Morrocan extras a trip to Croatian set. Dany’s supposed to have 8000 Unsullied and, what, 10.000 more freedmen following her all the way to Mereen.
    On the other hand, if they gonna recast all of them with Croatian extras (typical European caucasian complexion) they’ll find themselves facing riots.

113. Dorian
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Davy: Stop saying your opinion as a fact. I like dorne, I liked it’s chapter and I think they are important to the story.

I can state my opinion however I like thanks – I don’t need to preface every statement of obvious opinion with “this is just my opinion” purely so overly sensitive people don’t get annoyed.

As for thinking they’re important to the story – well that’s quite a bit different from mere opinion. The day I hear a convincing argument for how the meandering pointlessness of the Dorne plot in AFFC is remotely important to the story is the day I’ll eat my hat.

114. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Methinks Meereen will be in Croatia. They probably pulled out of Morocco as they want to be able to tap from a pool of varied ethnicity for the populace of Meereen as they were accused of racism after the Mhysa controversy.

115. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    MethinksMeereen will be in Croatia. They probably pulled out of Morocco as they want to be able to tap from a pool of varied ethnicity for the populace of Meereen as they were accused of racism after the Mhysa controversy.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with that. These plans have probably been made for months now. Coordinating moving supplies and big groups of people in addition to setting up filming/travel schedules requires more than a few wees of prep, I think.

ETA: I suppose I should clarify- filming is set to begin very soon. July 8th, to be exact. I really just don’t think there was enough time between the race debate that started after that episode and July 8th for them to change their filming plans.

116. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere,

Agreed. I was kind of being sarcastic but it came off as serious!