GRRM drops some Game of Thrones Comic Con panel details
By Winter Is Coming on in Events, News.

San Diego Comic-ConGeorge R. R. Martin has let slip some of the details about this year’s Game of Thrones panel at San Diego Comic Con. He writes on his Not A Blog:

The next convention on my calendar is the San Diego Comicon.

My dance card is already almost full. Yes, there will be a GAME OF THRONES panel, and I’ll be on it. It is scheduled for Friday, July 19, 2:50 to 3:45, in Hall H To be followed by an autographing at the WB booth. Of course, I’ll be joined on the panel by half a dozen cast members (no, don’t know which ones yet) and David and Dan.

He also notes he will be doing a second signing on Saturday from 11AM to 12PM for Bantam, as well as two others, times to be announced. So if you are going to San Diego with the hope of getting GRRM’s sig scrawled on one of your books, it looks like you will have plenty of opportunities.

Winter Is Coming: Thrones gets the prime spot and time once again, Friday afternoon in Hall H. And it sounds like GRRM won’t be moderating it this year? I guess we’ll find out for sure once HBO announces the panel line-up, which should be any day now.

1. Dave
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Stannis

2. Sherry
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

I wish I could go. Will look forward to press and photos.

3. spacechampion
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

If GRRM says “boobies” again, everyone take a drink.

If someone asks GRRM who his favorite character is, everyone take a drink.

If you hear a fan squee, everyone take a drink. Two drinks if it’s a guy squeeing.

If someone asks any of the cast if they’ve read the books, and they haven’t, everyone take a drink for each actor that says no.

4. Arthur
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Awesome news!

Hope they give us a little video introduction of the new actors and what characters they will be playing like last time.

5. SHK12344
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Great to see GRRM working hard on finishing Winds of Winter.

6. Arthur
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

It would be even more awesome if the dude playing The Red Viper introduces himself saying something like:

“My name is Pedro Pascal and I will be playing Oberyn Maryell aka The Red Viper”

But when he says “aka The Red Viper” give us a little stare with some attitude to show is what is in store… To show us how intense he can be.

That would be awesome but I know it’s just wishful thinking.

7. Ser Tahu
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

So this means that we can probably expect the season 4 new cast members video in about 15 days :D

8. KingNed
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Im guessing that the panel will be the new guy Red Viper and guys new to comic con like Stannis , Bran and the Red Witch.

9. SHK12344
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

KingNed:

If my recollection is correct, they usually bring in actors who have already appeared in the show for the panel. My guess is they will have the mostly usual characters, Jon Snow, Cercei etc….. and 2 or 3 actors who have not done panels before, someone like Mel and Bronn.

10. WildSeed
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Get tickets early people !

11. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

I wish they could get Rob McElhenney to moderate he did a superb job with the Emmy special.

Eitherway thanks for the update WIC!

12. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Kit Harrington is scheduled to be at Comic-Con, so I imagine he will be part of the panel. Maisie tweeted something about heading to LA soon, perhaps she will be there this year too. I’d love to see Nicolaj and Gwendoline on the panel. And of course Dinklage.

13. Greg
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Esme Bianco tweeted about going to Comic Con.

I’d love to see Nikolaj and Gwen.

14. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

I’d love to see Liam Cunningham on the panel.

15. Zack
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

I wish these events were filmed. I always get so jealous of attendees :(

16. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Zack,

I’ve seen both GOT Comic-Con panels on Youtube.

17. Zack
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Zack,

I’ve seen both GOT Comic-Con panels on Youtube.

Oh, great! I feel better now. Thanks.

eta: found last year’s. This is awesome!

18. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

I want to see Michael McElhatton on the panel. Along with NCW, Gwen and Michelle he is an unsung hero of season 3 for me.

19. Zack
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

Agreed. It would be fun to get to see more villainous characters at these things. Maybe Jack Gleeson, or Noah Taylor.

20. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Zack: Oh, great! I feel better now. Thanks.

eta: found last year’s. This is awesome!

Check out the first one Jason Momoa brought the house down.

21. Endless Giraffe
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Zack,

I still want to see one single interview with Roose Bolton’s or Walder Frey’s actors. Do they just hate doing interviews or something.

22. EverydayImHodoring
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Maybe some of you on here can bring up at the Panel’s Q&A the racial issues you’ve been teeth gnashing and hand wringing about on here since the ending of Season 3 and continuing with the casting of the Red Viper. “Do these guys know how to party or what?” -Wayne’s World.

23. Jack
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 12:17 am | Permalink

I really hope Sophie and Maisie go this year, along with Gwendoline. I want more people who haven’t gone in previous years to go this year.

24. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 12:23 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen:

Eitherway thanks for the update WIC!

Totally agree. I think George and everyone else seemed more relaxed about things, as well, though that may have had more to do with the venue. In any case, hoping they have someone other than Martin moderate.

As for who I’d like to see there… Well, if it’s true that six cast members will be there, I’m hoping for Richard Madden, Michelle Fairley, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Natalie Dormer, Maise Williams, and Charles Dance. It seems like Kit Harrington is already going to be there for another panel, so it’s 99.9% likely that he’ll be on the GoT panel, but those are the six I’d like to see most. Give Emilia (though, given the season she’s had, she’ll likely be there as well), Peter, and Lena a break (if they want one), and bring in some faces we won’t get another chance to see there (in the case of Madden & Fairley).

And I know this would never happen, but if they brough Jack Gleeson to Comic-Con, the place would explode. I think almost every viewer of the show has a special place for Joffrey in their villain Hall of Fame, so it’d be cool to see that happen. In fact, I’d bet he wouldn’t even have a hard time with it, considering almost everyone (rightly) acknowledges that he’s one of the strongest actors on a show full of them.

25. mags giantsbabe
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Kit ‘s already attending another panel on Thursday, yes. It’s called Brave young Warriors or something, together with Matt Smith (Doctor Who), Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead), David Giuntoli (Grimm) and others. So chances he will be there for the GoT panel as well, which has me excited :D

Waiting for the “Kit-doesn’t-deserve-to-be-on-two-panels-at-SDCC-cause-he’s-a-crap-actor-and-I-hate-his-character” comments to begin.

26. Arthur
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Endless Giraffe,

Some of these actors sign agreements that they will not be included in any type of promo/interviews.

27. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 2:24 am | Permalink

spacechampion,

Haha that sounds like a great drinking game. We have to add more drinks though. Any more thoughts

28. Grijnwaald
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 2:58 am | Permalink

Y’know what? I’d love to see Jack on the panel. Since that won’t happen, Michelle, Charles, Sophie, Maisie, Nikolaj, Kit and of course, Peter Dinklage would be awesome. It looks like there will be only six cast members but I can’t chose who to kick off!

29. WildSeed
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 3:15 am | Permalink

mags giantsbabe:

Doctor Who, Grimm and TWD are my favourite shows, I wish I could teleport myself
    there for each presentation, then back to Northern Calif.

Don’t worry about Kit, he’s embraced by a particular fandom, and he’s still
    growing into his Jon character ( I hope ).

30. WildSeed
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald:

hide behind the lovely – but- tall- Sophie (:

31. Unbowd UnbentUnHodor
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 4:00 am | Permalink

I hope NCW and Gwen go. They seem like a lot of fun together

32. Selmy
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 4:06 am | Permalink

Really hope they’ll be making some more casting announcements!!!!!!!!

33. Ser Tahu
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 4:31 am | Permalink

Off-Topic:
    Eugene Simon (the actor that plays Lancel Lannister) just tweeted the following:

“Several weeks worth of new work starts now. Back to filming”

Is this confirmation that he will be in season 4, or is he filming something else?

34. John
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 5:05 am | Permalink

Is someone from the team at the London comic con? It’s from the 5th to the 7th of July..
    Tyrion, Cersei, Khal Drogo, Gendry, Blackfish, Beric Dondarrion, Loras Tyrell, Hallyne (head of the archemists guild) and Hodor will be there..

35. Grijnwaald
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 5:29 am | Permalink

WildSeed: You actually named eight, and I’d keep all on the roster. Just have Maisie and Peter
    hide behind the lovely – but- tall- Sophie(:

I named seven, since I said Jack probably wasn’t gonna be there. That’s not a bad idea actually.

36. Jentario
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 5:30 am | Permalink

John:

Nice. I’m sure we’ll find a video on Yourube, don’t worry :)

37. Jentario
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    Off-Topic:

“Several weeks worth of new work starts now. Back to filming”

Well… If he’s ever going to return he’s going to return now, right? You can’t really expect people to remember Lancel and Cersei’s season 2 fling and a very annoyingly repetitive quote is tied right with it. Otherwise, he would only come back into play in season 5 or 6, and that’s assuming that he will be challenger of the Faith in the big trial coming up. If he doesn’t have a big role in upcoming books we may not see him return to the show at all.

38. Sammy
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 5:54 am | Permalink

i hope especially for Emilia, Richard, Kit and Maisie

39. Chickenduck
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 5:56 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    Off-Topic:

“Several weeks worth of new work starts now. Back to filming”

He’s on another show (can’t remember what it’s called, but he’s a lead I think) so it might be that.

BUT there’s also an interview with him on YouTube from about a month ago in which he talks about things that imply he might be back on GoT this season. Like, they ask him what kind of death scene he’d like and stuff. But I don’t think from memory it actually confirms whether he’ll be back or not.

40. MotherofDargons
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 6:09 am | Permalink

if Emilia attends my world would be complete :)
    and of course Jack Gleeson would be fantastic. and seeing Richard and Michelle for the last time.

41. Adam Whitehead
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 6:29 am | Permalink

Neil Marshall to direct Season 4 finale, featuring the Battle of the Wall:

42. Arkash
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 6:30 am | Permalink

spacechampion:
    If GRRM says “boobies” again, everyone take a drink.

If someone asks GRRM who his favorite character is, everyone take a drink.

If you hear a fan squee, everyone take a drink.Two drinks if it’s a guy squeeing.

Okay ! I’ll play the game !

43. John
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Great news!
    But why couldn’t you mark the last part as spoiler?

44. Adam Whitehead
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 6:41 am | Permalink

John:
    Adam Whitehead,
    Great news!
    But why couldn’t you mark the last part as spoiler?

Because I forgot, sorry. And now I can’t change it. ARGH!

45. Ser Tahu
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:05 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,
    I just saw that as well, but as I’m not sure about the source of the article I am taking it with a grain of salt. I want Neil Marshall back to direct the episode(s) that feature the siege of the Wall, but I am hesitant to believe the part about it being the finale for two reasons:
    1) I don’t see how they could delay it for that long (although it does suggest that the election won’t take place until season 5, which is a notion I very much approve of)
    2) being a siege, it takes place over multiple days, not one night like Blackwater, so I am hoping that it will be spread over multiple episodes to reflect that. In fact, I believe it would be a huge misstep on the part of D&D to have it in a Blackwater style episode.
    3) I can’t see them ever devoting an entire season finale to a single storyline.
    So overall my hope is that the part about it being the finale is incorrect. I still predict the siege of the Wall to play out as follows:
    episode 6 – The siege begins, and Jon is told “The Wall is yours”
    episode 7 – Directed by Neil Marshall, The bulk of the battle between Mance and the Night’s Watch, with Jon commanding from the top of the Wall. Alliser and Janos arrive and confront Jon, telling him that he is to treat with Mance.
    episode 8 – Directed by Neil Marshall, Jon goes beyond the Wall to treat with Mance. As the discussion takes place Stannis shows up and has his huge battle against the Wildlings

Speaking of my predictions for Season 4 and beyond, I am currently in the process of typing up my predictions for season 4-6 and beyond on Livejournal. For seasons 4 and 5, and to a lesser extent 6 (because it will likely start TWoW stuff for some storylines) I am speculating on what will be in each episode, down to the order of the scenes:
    WARNING: My Livejournal post is only for those who have read all of the books, and have at least basic knowledge of the chapters from The Winds of Winter that GRRM has released or read.
    I am updating the Livejournal post as I go, and so far only has the predictions for the first 5 season 4 episodes. I should have my predictions for the second half of seasons 4 up shortly though.

46. King DBC
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Hells yeah! Neil Marshall will be back to direct the season 4 finale!!!

47. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:15 am | Permalink

King DBC:
    Hells yeah! Neil Marshall will be back to direct the season 4 finale!!!

WOW!!! Awesome news!!!!

48. Ser Bro
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:16 am | Permalink

SHK12344:
    Great to see GRRM working hard on finishing Winds of Winter.

Hush.

49. Nancy
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:28 am | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

I won’t pretend that I think Kit is a great actor (I hope he does improve and I think he comes across as very nice guy) but he has every right to be on that panel as a part of the cast. I would say since he is doing the EW panel, he’s definitely on GoT panel. Esme Bianco has said on twitter that she will be there, not sure if she will be part of the panel or part of the audience like Hodor was last year.
    I would be shocked if Emilia is not there because her schedule just freed up since James Franco walked away from the movie he was supposed to direct and she was cast in it.
    My dream panel: Richard Madden, Michelle Fairley, NCW, Gwendoline, Charles Dance and Maisie Williams. Doubtful I’ll get that and I think I have just about as much luck of seeing Richard and MIchelle there this year as I would seeing Jack Gleeson there.
    No matter who actually is on the panel, it should be a good one.

50. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Arthur:

That would be awesome but I know it’s just wishful thinking.

YESSSS.

Ok, so who are we going to see in said video (which they have to have to have to do)? Since last time they included everyone from Nathalie Immanuel to Kerry Ingram (had all of 2 scenes last year), figure they’ll throw in as many as possible. (If I remember, last year they had the Blackfish, Beric Dondarrion, Lady Olenna, Edmure, Thoros, Anguy, Missandei, Shireen, Jojen, and Meera…am I missing any?)

So I’ll predict this:

Red Viper (duh)
    Ellaria Sand
    Mace Tyrell
    The Magnar of Thenn
    Donal Noye
    Bowen Marsh
    The High Sparrow (longshot, may be too early)
    A random Umber (unless they’ve pulled Clive Mantle back into the fold PLS PLS PLS)
    Bob Benson
    Leaf

I don’t expect to see…
    Coldhands (too weird and mysterious. They may well keep him – but I don’t imagine seeing him in the video, just as Ramsey Snow was not included last year)
    Euron/Aeron/Victarion (season 5 I think)
    Hizdar (season 5)
    Moqorro (season 5-6)
    Doran/Arianne (season 5)
    Elder Brother (too small a part to include in the video)
    The Bloodraven (may get him late in year in one scene)

51. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:
    Neil Marshall to direct Season 4 finale, featuring the Battle of the Wall:

This is great news. Neil Marshall did a great job on Blackwater. and while others have pointed out that this event in question should probably be given to a few episodes, it’s also certainly possible that it will take up one episode too with lots of time passage to mark that this is taking several days. It’ll work no matter what. It’s great news!!!

52. Chrissy
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:52 am | Permalink

my dream panel: Emila, Kit, Richard, Charles, Lena and Nik.

53. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:58 am | Permalink

My dream panel for witty banter:

NCW, Gwen, John Bradley, Charles Dance, Emilia, Diana Rigg, and Dinklage

Dream panel of sexy ladies:
    Lena, Emilia, Esme (yum), Rose Leslie, Nathalie Emmanuel, Natalie Dormer

Dream panel of villainous creeps:
    Dan Hildebrand, Robert Pugh, Jack Gleeson, Lena (who I love anyway), Ivan Rheon, Michael McHatton (sic)

54. Sam
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 7:59 am | Permalink
  55. Michelle Yvette Peeples
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I wish they would have a panel at NY Comic Con. I’ve always been somewhat mystified as to why they haven’t had one in NYC. HBO has a large presence in NYC offices, flagship store etc. It seems tailor-made for it. Ah well, I live in hope.

56. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

You forgot Carice! CvH is always interesting to have a round.

57. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

It’ll be Clarke and Harrington, and all the fans cry that they want Jon and Dany to be ‘5eva in luv!11

Brb, that made me physically puke

58. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

spacechampion,
    Jon Blackfyre,

If a fan complains that GRRM is attending conferences and not writing, everyone take a drink.

59. Jambo
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

From comingsoon.net :

Featured cast include: (in alphabetical order): John Bradley as Samwell Tarly, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Rose Leslie as Ygritte, and Richard Madden as Robb Stark. The panel will be moderated by Elvis Mitchell.
    Friday July 19, 2013 2:50pm – 3:45pm
    Hall H

60. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

oh totally! On any of the 3 I mentioned!

I see now it’s this group:

Cast members John Bradley, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Michelle Fairley, Kit Harington, Rose Leslie and Richard Madden participate in the panel,

Great group. Great to have Madden and Fairley there, John Bradley’s a hoot, and the others are all class. Awesome.

61. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Jon and Richard on the panel…………women will leave that room pregnant.

62. Cavegirl
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

You’re so right with it. He definitely did.

Can’t wait for Jason’s & Peters live commentary to ” A Golden Crown ” tomorrow night at LFCC together with another secret GoT guest.

63. Hodor
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Hodor

64. monicayoung
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 5:37 am | Permalink

Game of Thrones Season 3 is talk about Seven noble families fight for control of the mythical land of Westeros. Political and sexual intrigue is pervasive. Robert Baratheon, King of Westeros, asks his old friend Eddard, Lord Stark, to serve as Hand of the King, or highest official. Secretly warned that the previous Hand was assassinated, Eddard accepts in order to investigate further. Meanwhile the Queen’s family, the Lannisters, may be hatching a plot to take power. Across the sea, the last members of the previous and deposed ruling family, the Targaryens, are also scheming to regain the throne. The friction between the houses Stark, Lannister and Baratheon, and with the remaining great houses Greyjoy, Tully, Arryn, and Tyrell, leads to full-scale war. All while a very ancient evil awakens in the farthest north. Amidst the war and political confusion, a neglected military order of misfits, the Night’s Watch, is all that stands between the realms of men and icy horrors beyond. Written by Tfilm78 and Cajunman

65. Grijnwaald
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:21 am | Permalink

monicayoung,

Game of Thrones? That looks quite interesting, I might watch that. When is it on?

66. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald:
    monicayoung,

lmao xdd

1. […] complete panel list for San Diego Comic-Con has been revealed, just a day after George R.R. Martin confirmed he would be there as […]