Breaking down the Thrones actors’ Emmy chances
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Speculation.

63rd Primetime Emmy Awards - Press Room - Peter Dinklage

The Emmy nomination announcements are just around the corner and many Game of Thrones actors are hoping to hear their name called. Yesterday on Twitter we chatted about some of the actors chances at landing a nom. But it’s always hard to hold a long discussion on Twitter with its 140 character limit. So I decided to expand that into a post… and since it’s the cool thing to do I added odds (for recreational purposes only, of course).

Before we begin, I should note that the list of actors I’m using comes from the official submission lists released by the Academy. So don’t get mad at me for not having Maisie Williams or Charles Dance on here! Those folks are not eligible to be nominated since neither HBO nor their representation submitted them. Ok, on to my thoughts and the odds!

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Peter Dinklage
Dinklage is a two-time nomimee and one-time Emmy winner and that gives him a leg up on his fellow cast mates. Dinklage didn’t have as much to do this season as he did in seasons one and two, although he did well with what he had. But Emmy voters are creatures of habit and will continually vote the same person in, provided the show doesn’t completely fall off a cliff. That gives the Dink the best chance at a nom.
Nomination Odds: 3/2

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
After being almost completely sidelined last season, Coster-Waldau came back in a big way this season. His scenes with Gwendoline Christie were fantastic, culminating in the bathtub scene, which may have been the best acted scene in this show yet. The problem is supporting actor is a very crowded field, and Dinklage will be stealing many of his potential votes, so he’s a bit of a long-shot to land a nom even though he is the more deserving Lannister sibling.
Nomination Odds: 10/1

Kit Harington
This was arguably Harington’s best season, but unfortunately, it’s not going to be enough.
Nomination Odds: 25/1

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Michelle Fairley
Fairley has gained a bit of Emmy buzz in the press for her work this season. Yes, she didn’t have many scenes, but the ones she did have were prime Emmy material. Of course, she also has that Red Wedding scene going for her. Will Emmy voters’ heart break for Michelle the way Catelyn’s heart broke for her son? If so, she could get a nom.
Nomination Odds: 6/1

Emilia Clarke
After a season last year where people were questioning Clarke’s abilities, she answered her critics in a big way: with perfect Valyrian and a fire-breathing dragon. That scene alone gives her a fighting chance.
Nomination Odds: 12/1

Lena Headey
Headey had several meaty scenes this season. But if she didn’t get nominated last season on the strength of her performance in “Blackwater”, she’s unlikely to get a nom this season.
Nomination Odds: 20/1

Natalie Dormer
Dormer had some strong work this season, especially in the first half of the season. But ultimately it’s going to be too little, too early.
Nomination Odds: 30/1

Sibel Kekilli
Yeah, not gonna happen.
Nomination Odds: 50/1

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
Diana Rigg
Given the somewhat wide-open nature of the guest actor field, it’s hard to predict these categories. But Rigg stole just about every scene she was in and she’s a bit of a TV legend, which gives her a pretty good shot at landing a nomination.
Nomination Odds: 5/2

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
Ciaran Hinds
Hinds has that whole legend thing going for him too, but he just didn’t have enough to do this season to be a serious contender for a guest actor nom.
Nomination Odds: 15/1

What do you think of these odds? Do you think Dinklage will once again be the lone acting representative for Game of Thrones? Or will there be more actors nominated this year? Discuss it all in the comments below.

1. serum
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Hodor!

Michelle Fairley deserves one in my opinion!

2. María S.
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

#EmmyForNikolaj!!!

3. DanyB
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I think your odds are spot on, while I don’t know if Emilia’s overall work would get her the nomination I still get chills from that Valyrian scene – she was absolutely spot on. Same with Michelle Fairley, for somebody who (very) slightly annoyed me in many scenes I thought she completely nailed it at the Red Wedding and putting herself through so much emotional anguish and clearly throwing herself into the character so much surely deserves a nod.
    When it comes to the boys, I would love to see Nikolaj win something as he is an excellent actor and it always comes across just how much he loves being a part of the show.
    PS While I know you said not to mention them, my two favourite people for the Emmys would have to be Charles Dance and Maisie Williams, fingers crossed for next time!
    PPS Hodor!

4. Card of Doom
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I think Fairley and Rigg both deserve the nom’s but on a show with so many actors, few GoT actors get enough screen time to be a lock.

Diana Rigg should definitely get nominated though.
    She crushed it.

5. Kris
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Michelle Fairley deserves a nomination so much it hurts. I would also love to see Nikolaj get in there. Emilia was amazing in episode 4, but hers may come in the future.

6. AA
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

HitFix did a great breakdown of the Emmy fields. Check out Best Supporting Actress here: http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/emmy-nomination-preview-2013-outstanding-supporting-actress-in-a-drama
    Specifically, slide 15 for Emilia and slide 21 for Michelle. I think Michelle definitely deserves a nomination, but it is a very tough category to break into.

7. Cantuse
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I’m pretty the remaining fraction of all these odds for the men will be entirely dominated by Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul, whether or not its deserved. :/

And for the record, I like BB. It’s just become rather formulaic Godfather show in this final season; I just think the Lily of the Valley episode was the apex thus far.

The person who deserves some recognition on BB is Odenkirk.

8. Selmy
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

My votes would be
    supporting actor – Nikolaj
    supporting actress – Michelle Fairley
    Guest actor – Dame Diana

9. Crozyr
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Selmy:
    My votes would be
    supporting actor – Nikolaj
    supporting actress – Michelle Fairley
    Guest actor – Dame Diana

Was about to say the exact same thing.

10. IceFire
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

hoping for Emilia, the scene in episode 4 was outstanding but maybe it’s too early for her. in season 4 she might have better chances. same with Lena. she had strong moments but not enough. though i really hope it’s going to be Emilia or Lena, I admired them this season so much!

11. D'Arcy
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

It’s unfortunate that Dinklage and Coster-Waldau will probably be fighting for the same votes.

I still hope Fairley has a shot, though.

12. Boojam
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Card of Doom:

Diana Rigg should definitely get nominated though.
    She crushed it.

Rigg has won a ‘daytime’ Emmy , and was nominated for that 3 times.
    I don’t guess they give those anymore?

I am amazed that Dance has only been nominated once for an Emmy.
    (IMDB has him with no Emmy nominations.)
    He has a lot of other awards.
    He has been so good (well he’s always been good) on GOT he has a lot of recognition…. but the Emmy nominations are as odd as the Oscars, sometimes.

13. Arkash
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Nikolaj and Lena deserve it !

14. Harry
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Peter was fantastic in S1 and S2 and is a superb actor . But for S3 I would give the Emmy to Michelle Fairley or Nikolaj.

Diana Rigg was also very good, but her role didn’t demand more “layers” from her than being the smart granny.

15. Sunny
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Nikolaj and Fairley deserve a nom so much. I will boycott the emmy’s if it aleast one of them isn’t nominated. I’m not to confident though, considering Lena got shafted last year.

16. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

I can’t see Dinklage getting a third nomination, he was solid this season but didn’t really do anything memorable. I could also see voters getting fatigued with the character.

Nikolaj not only deserves a nomination you could argue he deserves to win. Corey Stoll is really the only other supporting actor who gave Nik a run for his money this year. If Peter gets nominated ahead of Nikolaj then that just means the Emmy’s are nothing but a popularity contest.

Michelle did a great job with the RW but it’s kinda unfair to nominate her just for one scene when other actresses have been solid throughout a whole season.

Yes Emilia’s performance this year was a vast improvement from S2 but she’s not really awards material IMO. If she’s nominated it will be because of popularity.

17. Sam
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

agree with you, Nik and Michelle deserve it. also Emilia did a very good job this year but i think her time is coming in season 4. so yeah i’d love to see one of those three nominated

18. Ben Watson
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I think PD takes an Emmy WIN (not necessarily nomination) break until perhaps his river boat cruise. He’ll have another chance to shine once across the narrow sea.

His bathroom scene with Dad will be compelling, but I’m not sure that alone is enough to get a nod.

Does it hurt his chances if he keeps getting nominated every year but doesn’t win several years in a row?

19. Teresa
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Fingers crossed for Michelle and Nikolaj; I think Michelle has the better chance to sneak in, though.

Unfortunately Emmy noms are like the Oscars and Grammys- it’s just easier to pick the usual “token” nominees year in and year out instead of taking time to analyze the performances. So lazy (and frustrating to witness).

Still, for some reason, I suspect it’s possible GoT could win the Best Drama Emmy this year.

20. JK
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I think it’s important to distuingish the difference between good acting and good writing, while Diana Rigg was good in his guest role, much of the power was in the great lines she had. Meanwhile, Fairley really made me care for a character that I felt was a bit “meh” before. It was a really hard role to act: A character who has to hide so much emotion, and she did a wonderful job with it.

21. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I really feel like all michele did this year was sit down and get talked to. Her one worthy scene i felt was the one talking about Jon or the red wedding. I think the two most worthy are Nikolaj and Diana. They killed it this season. Personally i think the best performances for the past few years have been Charles, Maisie, and Sophie. I also think the the actor that played Thoros did a good job and should be nominated in the guest actor spot

22. Sean C.
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

The trial is prime Emmy material.

23. Teresa
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Charles and Maisie definitely deserve nominations. I love Sophie, but the Sansa character may be too polarizing.

I’d add Gwen Christie and Jack Gleeson to the list. They deserve nominations too.

24. Sophie
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I’d love to see Natalie get a nom, but I highly doubt it. I think if Emilia is nominated, it will be due to popularity – I’m finding myself dislike the character of Daenerys and Emilia’s portrayal of her less and less, despite that 4th episode. However, to see Michelle Fairley win an Emmy would be what she deserves after that RW scene. I too am surprised Charles Dance, Paul Kaye (Thoros of Myr), Maisie or Sophie are not there.

25. mags giantsbabe
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Nikolaj has a very good chance, so does Michelle, those are the two I’m rooting for. And definitely Diana Rigg. It’s a shame Ciaran did’nt get more to do. Peter’s great as always, but hopefully they’ll give others a chance depending on character arc strengths.

As my favourite actor Kit’s great, I recently did a full rewatch of Season 1 and 2 (finally bought the dvd) and he nailed it as Jon in season one and shined where he could in the odd one or two scenes in S2, but I agree with WiC, too little screentime/ meaningful scenes written for him, so I’m not really bothered with any nominations for him.

26. Jessica
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Nikolaj, Michelle and Diana! They were incredible. Also I would love Gwen to get a nomination. Jack Gleeson may get a nomination but after season four, depending how his death scene is scripted/shot but I know Joffrey will leave the show with a bang and Jack will act it superbly

27. King DBC
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

If Michelle doesn’t get her Emmy (yes, I called it hers already), I’m punching a baby!

28. Huge Floppys
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

I think its at least 3/2 Michelle Fairley gets a nom. She won’t win, but the Red Wedding scene alone will get her in.

Peter Dinklage will also get his token nomination. He will also not win overall, but he is now in the chatagory of basically getting a nom every year just b/c. 3/2 is fair

29. A Man Grown
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Definitely should have been Thoros, Roose Bolton, or Locke submitted for guest actor over Mance.

30. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

It’s ashame HBO spread their bets instead of throwing their support behind worthy performances.

31. tereza
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

For me its definitely Michelle Fairley, who deserves it the most!! Her final scene on RW was just astonishing. And from men I would love to see Nikolaj geting some appreciation.

32. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Man you hate HBO!

33. Ser Lyonel the Laughing Storm
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

The Sibel Kekilli mention made me laugh my ass off

34. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

On the contrary I love them. Personally I just don’t like the fact they throw everyone in contention simply so they can say GOT has so many Emmy nominations, I want them to champion outstanding performances.

35. Turncloak
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Although I think your comments about Sibil were realistic, it came off as mean. What if Sibil reads this article? :(

36. Turncloak
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Actors nominate themselves. HBO has no control over that.

37. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Teresa,

Deffinately. Gwen and jack have killed there performances since they’ve been one screen. Expecially gwen. Her fight scene, reaction to renley talk, when captured taking care of jamie, bath tub scene and last talk with jamie when she calls him sir. She needs a nomination and I don’t know why I didn’t think of that earlier. The look she was giving jamie during that story was great.

38. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Really? well then I owe HBO an apology lol.

39. Balerion
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Michelle Fairley in The Red Wedding was outstanding.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was outstanding in the bathscene with Gwendoline.

I think they deserve to win an Emmy this year.

Last year i thought Alfie Allen was outstanding so hey, maybe i am not good at this.

40. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I agree with Winter’s analysis.

Michelle Fairley didn’t get as much to do mid-season as she should have, but the Catalogue and the RW is enough to justify a nom.
    NCW was great all season. The bathtub scene alone makes him deserving but the Dinklage blinders will probably be on. I’m 100% sure that Peter Dinklage will deserve awards in season 4 so this should be NCW’s time.
    Off topic but Tatiana Maslany should get a best actress nom.

41. Victoria
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

not mentioned, but Iwan Rheon is wonderful as Ramsay Bolton.

42. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

A Man Grown:

Yes. I’ve loved Michael McElhatton from the start. It seems like guest star awards usually go to big name actors. Maybe they thought Cirian Hinds would have the better chance even though the Roose scenes were better than the Mance ones this year.

43. PatchfaceFool
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I’m still baffled as to why they didn’t submit Maisie Williams or Jack Gleeson for consideration.

44. Jukka
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

nikolaj yes. lena no.

lena didn’t do much this season and what she did do isn’t worthy of a nomination.

45. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I still think Michelle will get in there this year in her swan song on the show.

Ideally, NCW would be the guy in the supporting category, and if there was one year for Dinklage to ask to set himself aside for another it would have been this year for him.

Diana Rigg will get in there, Hinds won’t. Were it me, I’d have added in Dan Hildebrand for guest actor, but oh well.

46. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Victoria,

Out of all the new characters introduced in S3 Iwan’s Ramasay was a huge let down. Perhaps some of the blame should be layed on D & D’s bizarre scenes they gave him but overall Iwan’s performance came across as a pantomine villain. Such ashame cause Ramsay is a wickedly great character in the books.

47. Greg
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

A Man Grown,

Or Ramsay. Iwan KILLED it.

48. Jentario
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

María S.:
    #EmmyForNikolaj!!!

This and #EmmyForMichelle

49. Blood of the Dragon
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I love love Emilia so much! Of course I would like her to win, as the Dracarys scene was exceptional. However, seeing Michelle win would also be incredible. Seeing as the RW was more…noticed…in the media than Dracarys, I’d bet Michelle would get the nom.

However, don’t you think it would be amazing to see Michelle get nominated perhaps next year or the year after for her Lady Stoneheart work? Of course it isn’t set in stone (see what I did there?) that she’ll be returning, but I believe that with the buzz the RW created, her return would be incredible for Unsullied.

So, I’d say Emilia this year, and Michelle in the years to come. As for the other categories, definitely Nikolaj and Diana. As for Ciaran…who knows.

50. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Blood of the Dragon: Plus, Emilia is about to be caught up in the Mereenese knot extravaganza. Unless D&D do something phenomenal with this plot, Emilia won’t likely have anymore outstanding scenes for a while. That is, until she escapes on Drogon.

I disagree whole-heartedly.

Awesome scenes we may see:

–Her freaky-ass conversation with Quaithe.
    –Her tearful decision to dismiss Jorah Mormont from her service.
    –What will likely be a great monologue where she declares that she will “Stay. And be a queen.”
    –Some kind of anguished discussion with Missandei about marrying Hizdahr.
    –A crushed feeling when she receives a man who brings the burned bones of his small daughter.
    –Locking up the dragons.
    –Escaping on Drogon.

That’s a lot of great stuff, to say nothing about potential invented scenes with Barristan Selmy, Daario Naharis, or Hizdahr.

51. Javi Marcos
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Nicolaj should be nominated, and may be. Diana Rigg I’m almost sure will get a nomination too

52. rofl
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

emmy for nikolaj that’s for sure!
    it would be nice to have the ladies of got nominated at least, michelle and emilia especially, but none of the female performances on got out-triumphs the performance of jennifer carpenter from dexter this year, imho…. so nomination would be great, but i don’t think that got should win this category
    emmy for diana rigg, she just brought it this year! i’m so looking forward to her scenes next season!
    i think nomination for the guest male actor should go to iwan rheon, he is outstanding and horryfying ramsay, just sayin :)

53. John W
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I’ll be surprised if anyone wins. Peter Dinklage has the best chance and he’s in a crowded field.

I’ll be satisfied with a nomination.

I think the best chance will be best drama.

54. Lady of Highgarden
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Nothing against Peter, but I’m really kind of irrationally irritated that he’s even in the running. This should be Nick’s year. And Michelle’s of course. Dame Diane didn’t have that much to do, but it would still be glorious if she go in, too.

55. Chris
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

word. i hope Emilia gets the nomination this year but it’s more likely that she has strong scenes next year. and Michelle was great, she also deserves a nomination.
    the male i go with Nikolaj and Peter.

56. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I hope this season sweeps the board, but it has Breaking Bad to still get over, if only for the final time. BB’s final episodes are gonna be a monumentous achievement for tv drama.

I think Jaime and Catelyn will get it. We can only hope. Would love Charles Dance to win but it feels a long shot.

57. erin
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Lady of Highgarden:

My feelings exactly.

58. Seriano
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Seven Hells Bells,

Breaking Bad’s final episodes are gonna contend for the Emmys only next year.

59. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

hopefully some of the background she hears from Selmy.

60. H. Stark
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Peter is awesome, but season 3 was Nikolaj’s season. :)

61. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Nikolaj Coster Waldau deserves an emmy really badly this year, michelle fairley too, hope they both get nominations, along with Diana Rigg

62. summer_stark
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I agree that they pick the same people/shows over and over, but they also love new meat. And although Nik and Michelle are not new, their performances this season were standout, so they are more obvious to voters now. Plus, in the supporting actor category only Aaron Paul and Dink are eligible from last year.

Also, let’s not forget that Nik has been in two movies this year — both with very famous actors — Mama with Jessica Chastain and Oblivion with Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman. This ups his name recognition in Hollywood considerably. The actor noms are voted on by other actors. Many of the actors are big Dinklage fans b/c he’s just awesome. But, I think this is Nik’s year, not just because it was his season, but because he’s been all over the place in Hollywood. He’s also now filming a movie with Cameron Diaz, Kate Upton, and Niki Manaj. I predict that he’ll get the nomination over Dinklage, since it would be a huge shock for more than one GoT actor to be nominated at all, let alone in the same category.

My supporting actor nomination predictions are:

Aaron Paul (breaking bad)
    Corey Stoll (house of cards — I predict he’ll win)
    Mandy Patankin (homeland)
    Jonathan Banks (breaking bad — I’d love to see him win)
    Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    Sam Waterston (The Newsroom) (I could them voting Dink over Waterston)

As for Fairley, I think she has a shot, but it will be a tough one. This is a very crowded field, with Monica Potter making a big push. Plus, Anna Gunn was amazing last season, even if Skylar is one of the most irritating characters on BB. I think Joanne Froggat from Downton Abbey is definitely out. McGovern could replace her though. She was pretty great. I could see her taking Fairley or Mara’s spots.

Also, I don’t think Panjabi and Baranski will both get nominated. I adore Kalinda, but this wasn’t a great season for her. I’d still like to see Panjabi over Baranski though. Baranski is good, but never a favorite. I think Hendricks didn’t have much too do in a pretty mediocre season, so I think she’s out this season as well.

MacDonald could get back in the mix — she had a pretty great story arc on Boardwalk Empire last season.

Lena had better seasons than this one, so she’s a definite no imo. Dormer was good, but I don’t think she has a shot either.

My predictions for supporting actress noms:

Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey)
    Monica Potter (Parenthood)
    Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad – predict she’ll win).
    Kate Mara (House of Cards)
    Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife)

As for the last spot, my best guess is McGovern, MacDonald, or an outside chance for Fairley. Probably McGovern. Clarke has virtually no chance imo. She had some great scenes, but that was more writing than anything. If anyone from GoT gets in for supporting actress, it’s Fairley.

As for Guest Actress, there are some great performances, but I think Diana Rigg will get a nomination. She was a character most people knew and loved. She is GoT’s Maggie Smith. She might not win, but I think she has a decent shot. Carrie Preston on The Good Wife was maybe my favorite guest actress on TV this year (she plays Arlene on True Blood — which is amazing b/c she’s completely different on The Good Wife, and completely awesome).

My predictions for guest actress nominations:

Diana Rigg (game of thrones)
    Shirley McClaine (Downton Abbey)
    Jane Fonda (The Newsroom)
    Carrie Preston (The Good Wife)
    Martha Plimpton (The Good Wife)
    Margo Martindale (The Americans)

I think Carrie Preston is more in danger of not being nominated than Rigg. Stockard Channing (also on The Good Wife) might take her spot, but I still think Preston was better, so I’m going with her over Channing. Not sure who will win, though I know most predict Fonda or McCaline. I am predicting Rigg or Preston.

As for Guest Actor. No way in hell Hinds gets a guest actor nom. For one thing, he wasn’t particularly interesting. For another, there are a ton of fantastic guest actor performances. Many of them on The Good Wife.

My Guest Actor nomination predictions:

Michael J Fox (The Good Wife — predict he’ll win again)
    Nathan Lane (The Good Wife — could see him winning)
    Dylan Baker (The Good Wife)
    John Noble (The Good Wife — please let him be nominated to make up for the egregious snubbing of his Fringe performance year after year — he’s just so friggin good)
    Jimmy Smits (Sons of Anarchy)
    Matthew Perry (The Good Wife)

If John Noble isn’t nominated — which would be terrible since he had a great episode in one of the best episodes of the season — then I think maybe Jim Beaver on Justified, though I’d pick Jere Burns over Jim Beaver, Matt Perry and Jimmy Smits.

63. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Melodramatic rant coming:

It’s frustrating the way awards ceremonies are isn’t it? So many people start out opposed to genre for no other reason than snobbery. The Oscars are probably a worse than the Emmys but it seems like they all love generic middlebrow fare. It’s practically miracle that Peter Dinklage won awards for season 1. I think it was because GoT was the hot new show that year.
    It’s sad that Sandra Bullock has an Oscar, Milli Vanilli had Grammys before they were got lip syncing and yet, it’s a long shot for most of our wonderful Thrones actors are long shots to get nominated for Emmys. You just can’t put too much stock in awards shows. If I had the head bashing against a wall emoticon that is available on Westeros I would be using it right here!
    One bright spot is that my aunt just got into the Writers Guild. IIRC they have awards too. She’s never seen the show but I will work on it if she is eligible to vote.

64. WildSeed
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I hope Michelle Fairley gets an Emmy. I’m at a loss why Kit was nominated over
    Bradley’s Samwell, or Hinds added at all.

65. WildSeed
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

summer_stark,

Nice work.

66. Walter_Eagle
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Hypothetical submission episodes:

Dinklage: “Second Sons”
    Coster-Waldau: “Kissed by Fire”
    Harington: “The Bear and The Maiden Fair”
    Fairley: “The Rains of Castamere”
    Clarke: “Second Sons” (“And Now His Watch is Ended” is more of a director/character moment)
    Headey: “And Now His Watch is Ended”
    Dormer: “Dark Wings, Dark Words”
    Kekilli: “Dark Wings, Dark Words”
    Rigg: “And Now His Watch is Ended”
    Hinds: uh, “Valar Dohaeris”?

Submissions that might have been:

Williams: “Kissed by Fire”
    Dance: “Kissed by Fire”
    Cunningham: “Mhysa”
    Hill: “And Now His Watch is Ended”
    Rheon: “The Climb” (guest)

67. Oz of Thrones
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

It’s really not fair to bring Milli Vanilli into this. Other than a badly timed skipping CD, they were innocent. Weirwood, you know its true… ooo, ooo, ooo,

Next time, blame it on the rain.

68. Stacey
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I understand that you guys only examined the actors and actresses who were submitted by the producers, but this is a really odd list. I have to side eye whoever picked this line up.

Don’t get me wrong. Natalie Dormer is a great actress, as she has proven in her past work, but she did not have any material worthy of an award during her time on GOT. She just hasn’t had a chance. Her scenes have been nothing except walking around looking sneaky. Similarly with Sibel Kekilli and even Lena Headey, while they both had the opportunity to show more of their range than Dormer, they are both far from the actress with the most quality material to submit this year. Just guessing based on the books, their time will probably come next year. As for Emilia Clarke, your rundown notes her dragon as part of her great performance. Unfortunately, the dragons were special effects and on her own, she didn’t stand out.

If the producers of GOT wanted to have the strongest chance possible to bring in some wins, they should have submitted Maisie Williams, Charles Dance (in place of Kit Harrington, who was so-so), and Richard Madden (in place of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau who wasn’t all that spectacular). Despite her age, Williams is one of the strongest actresses on the series, next to Michelle Fairley. She also had the opportunity to display the range of her skills several times over the course of this season. The show probably would have gotten an easy win from her performances. It’s a shame they missed this opportunity.

69. dizzy
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Michelle Fairley added so much to the impact of the Red Wedding. Definitely deserving of a nomination.

70. John
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

NCW and Fairley don’t deserve just a nomination for season 3.. they deserve the Emmy!
    As for our sweet Lady Lemoncake, I truly hope she will get nominated too. Like you said Winter, she really was 100% in every scene, always the best actor in the scene (even if it has been with Charles Dance or Peter Dinklage).

As for Peter, I hope he doesn’t get nominated.
    He should get a break this year and return for nomination (and win?) for season 4, where he won’t have much more to do than this season, but if he will nail his scenes, which he pretty much just HAS TO do (wedding, in prison, speech in front of the judges, trial by combat, scene with Jamie, scene with Tywin), than I’m pretty sure the Emmy will be his again next year.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Stacey,

This was NCW’s best season yet, so I’d disagree with you there. He was great.

72. Jen@House Stark
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

The script for the last two years for Cat were so far from the book, it was hard to even recognize her, IMO. However, her scene at the window, speaking to the Blackfish about her father returning from war and never seeing her boys again trumps the Red Wedding to me. Emmy for Lady Stark, please.

73. Stacey
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I agree that it was definitely his best season. That said, in my opinion, his personal best wasn’t able to stand above the best of his peers. But that’s just my opinion. Obviously you and the producers (who also chose other actors/actresses I disagree with) have other views.

74. socrates k
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Out of the three NCW really stood out this season ,while honestly,i cannot understand how is it possible that Charles Dance isn’t the first in this list .There wasn’t a single weak scene EVER with him in it,he completely outshines everyone who shares the screen with him.So strange..As for the actresses Michele Fairley completely killed it this season,the Emmy is hers.

75. Fanatic
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

After the wire snub, I have never trusted or gave a damn about Emmy’s.

76. HalfWarg
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Nikolaj won’t get a nom most likely, but he absolutely deserves one. Practically every Jaime scene was gold, and most of his stuff as a whole was better than about 99% of television this year (BB, MM & Homeland included).

77. summer_stark
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

HalfWarg:

The more I think about it, the more I think you’re right. I had Nikolaj instead of Dinklage, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. Dinklage may not have had much to do, but he is an emmy winner, and has been nominated the past two years. Plus, the more I consider what he did this season, the more I am ok with him getting the nom over Nikolaj. He was amazing in those scenes alone with Tywin, in the scenes of the small council, and during his wedding. So yea, I change my mind, Dinklage is in, not Nikolaj. I would switch Nik in for Waterston based on merit, but it’d be a miracle if two GoT actors got nominated in the same category, so Nik is out.

My revised supp actor nom predictions:

Aaron Paul
    Mandy Patankin
    Peter Dinklage
    Sam Waterston
    Corey Stoll
    Jonathan Banks

Of course, my emmy dream ballot has:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    Peter Dinklage
    Aaron Paul
    John Noble
    Vincent Kartheiser (Pete Campbell killed it this season — “Not good, Bob!”)
    Jonathan Banks

78. The Dragon Demands
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I agree with your entirely logical assessment of the submissions:

Nikolaj as Jaime really deserves at least a nomination this year; not just “he’s the most probable on this show” but outright “anyone who claims to enjoy drama television would be ashamed not to nominate him.”

As you’ve mentioned, sometimes characters just take a book/season off only to return to prominence later. While Peter Dinklage is still amazing and his storylines were pleasant, he just hasn’t had as much to do as in season 2. You mentioned that the Emmys often favor past winners; while this is true, it also means that they won’t feel compelled to “reward” a past winner for work which simply wasn’t as extensive as in past seasons (it would have been a crime not to give Tyrion the Emmy in Season 1, WAS a crime not to give it in Season 1, but season 3 not somuch). Again, there are ups and downs, which come from splitting the 3rd book in half….Tyrion subsequently will get a LOT to do in Season 4, from the very first episode to the last.

Kit Harrington was also better as Jon Snow than he’s ever been, and he’s great, it just hasn’t reached Emmy-level amazing…yet.

So pretty clearly, the best hope for Outstanding Supporting Actor is Nikolaj as Jaime.

Also in keeping with WiC’s assessment, Guest Actor is a wide-open zany field in which anything can happen….and Diana Rigg honestly gave a scene-stealing performance which deserves at least a nomination. Mance was good but hasn’t done anything stellar yet.

The only real question here is Best Supporting Actress:

Similar to Tyrion, Cersei just hasn’t had as much to do in Season 3, even though book fans know that she will have far more to do after this. Tyrion and Cersei in King’s Landing just don’t do much in the first half of book 3. She was great, but not utterly standout moments.

Similarly, Margaery Tyrell is indeed getting increasingly more to do, but just hasn’t had as much range for action…YET. Looking forward to that.

Michelle Fairley
    Emilia Clarke
    Lena Headey
    Natalie Dormer
    Sibel Kekilli

As for Sibel Kekilli…while admittedly doing the best work she’s done relative to her minor role on the show to date…this wasn’t worth a nomination and I think it was just done as a personal favor to give her career a shot in the arm. Is anyone else…OPENLY SURPRISED that they didn’t submit Gwendoline Christie’s name? They submitted Nikolaj for Jaime’s amazing storyarc this season…in which he was *paired with Gwendoline Christie*. I mean just look at the non-verbal range of her reactions in the bathtub scene, when she switches from disgust to suspicion to curiosity to horror.

So the only “real” contenders this season should be Emilia Clarke and Michelle Fairley.

Daenerys’ mind-blowingly amazing book 3 storyline, well-adapted to TV, finally managed to remove what many feared would be the eternal stain of the godawful Qarth storyline. I don’t blame the show that much because I realize they had little to work with, but that annoying “where are my dragons” thing was painfully dragged across four episodes until it became an internet meme. There were other ways of padding out the season.

Anyway Daenerys was almost as good as she was in Season 1, more ruthless, but we haven’t seen as many moments of real vulnerability. This was her shifting into decisive mode; and her acting in a *fictional foreign language* was utterly amazing. Still, it kind of lacked the nuance of when things don’t work out for her (thankfully, things rarely work out well for anyone in Game of Thrones…)

Michaelle Fairley meanwhile had great scenes by actually introducing her extended family (brother and uncle), the Red Wedding scenes were raw, all around some of her best stuff. Cons were that the show still fundamentally removed much of Catelyn’s political agency (though at least they finally had Robb straight-up admit that he made bad political decisions and she was right the entire time, and he wishes he’d have listened to her).

So I’m on the fence between Emilia and Michelle.

Fundamentally I’m left asking, “WHY DID YOU SUBMIT SIBEL KEKILLI BUT NOT GWENDOLINE CHRISTIE?”

Frankly, even Sophie Turner had more to do with more subtlety than either Shae *or* Margaery. Last season she was a wounded deer (understandably), but once the Tyrells start trying to help her we see other emotional ranges. Margaery offers that they *do* something about it by entering into a marriage scheme, different tones come out, gears start turning again.

Long story short: while we had good female performances I don’t think any one performance outright meritted an Emmy. Meanwhile, Jaime Lannister and Olenna Tyrell do passionately deserve to at least be nominated.

79. Paul
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Michele Fairley,very good, but apart from the dramatic red wedding scenes,didn’t stand out this season, I would put Emilia ahead overall. Sad and violent death scenes are plum ones for an actor to play!

Posted July 9, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

My personal favourites this season were probably NCW, Charles Dance, and Emilia Clarke (rivaling Season 1 for her). Dinklage was good as always, but it was possibly his weakest season in terms of material. I think Michelle Fairley deserves something, though, even if she had very little material this year.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

82. mariamb
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

NCW certainly deserves a nomination. He perfectly embodies Jaime Lannister. I would love to see Michelle get nominated but I think its a long shot.

GOT cast ends up competing with each other for attention/notice among Emmy voters. It seems silly to faithful viewers but its a problem for any show with large casts. Over the years, I’ve become less and less interested in the Emmys: tired of the same people winning over and over again while other deserving people are overlooked.

BTW – love that shot of Peter with his Emmy.

83. Beatriz
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Emmy for Nikolaj and Michelle, please!!

84. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Lex: OT: The first two Dunk and Egg graphic novels are being re-issued, and they’re (FINALLY) making a graphic novel of the 3rd one, The Mystery Knight. Cool!http://grrm.livejournal.com/327935.html

85. tumblefell
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

summer_stark,

Nice prognosticating, there!

86. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

It also sucks that the Daily Show always wins when The Colbert Report is much better.

I sort of hope Breaking Bad doesn’t win everything. The first 4 seasons were great but this past one was boring. Or maybe that’s just me?

87. Santana
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Hopefully Michelle or Emilia – both were outstanding and i’m crossing my fingers for one of these gorgeous women and actresses.

88. GeekFurious
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

EVERYONE should be nominated but Emmy voters are such chumps they only vote for whatever is right in front of their face all the time. Dinklage is easy to remember. So they do.

As for who I think was the best of the bunch this season, this list reveals all:

89. Aemon
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious:

The majority of those lists are a complete joke.

90. Kelly
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

I mostly liked this season, but it wasn’t my favorite at all. There were still some great scenes and if if does win I would be ok with that. Despite a weaker season, Vince Gilligan deserves an emmy with his name on it.

91. Luke
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Guys I made a tribute montage for this awesome show.
    Please feel free to check it out, it’s only about 2 mins and hopefully well worth your time :-)

92. SDGM
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Sibel gets a lot of hate, but I think she does just fine. Her accent is heavy, it’s hard for her to form the words, but her body language and facial expressions tend to get the emotions across. But I’m European and have struggled with a heavy an accent myself so I know how difficult it can be. I don’t think she deserves a emmy nom, but she can act.

93. Michael274
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

I swear if fucking Homeland wins again this year i’ll go on a riot ! The past season has been absolute shit and pretty much every critic agrees .

94. Nancy
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

I have to agree about Emilia. Not Emmy material. I would LOVE to see Michelle and Nikolaj nominated. I thought it was telling (and a bit disappointing) that TV Guide for it’s Emmy wishlist did not include a single thrones actor in the main categories. I think Dinklage has the best shot for a nod, even though NCW is more deserving and had the better material.
    I think what hurts all of the Thrones actors in supporting category is the screen time. I doubt any Emmy voter is ruling them out due to the show but screen time. If you judge Michelle and Emilia’s screen time versus the screen time of folks like Anna Gunn and Monica Potter, Michelle and Emilia don’t get a quarter of those ladies screen time.
    And it’s the same deal with supporting actor too. Compare Nikolaj’s screen time versus Aaron Paul, no comparison.
    I think Peter will be more deserving if his season 4 storyline lives up to the books (I fully expect it to). I think it’s too soon for Natalie (again, depending on how she is utilized in season 4…but that could be her time). Lena didn’t have enough material this season (again next season could be a breakout for her). Kit did not have enough material either and couldn’t sell what he had (in my opinion..next season should be meaty for him). Sibel Kikelli, I am not sure why she submitted herself, if the others don’t get enough screen time-she gets less. I don’t think she’s a bad actress, but if the main cast has trouble breaking though due to screen time, it’s not going to be easier for her.
    It does mystify me why some people were not submitted: Madden (who was terrific this season, not only in the RW episode but also in episode 3 &5), Charles Dance or Dan Hillenbrand should have been submitted for guest actor over Hinds. Gwen Christie should have been submitted over both Emilia and Lena (Nikolaj’s performance is not nearly as good without her).
    About Jack Gleeson-I think he’s terrific but I just don’t think he’s interested in the publicity or the awards side of the show.

95. DH87
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Turncloak: Actors nominate themselves. HBO has no control over that.

96. Anon
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Hopefully Michelle gets a nom. If she is able to get nominated, she could win because they have to submit just 1 episode to get judged on, and she was masterful in 3×09.
    Emilia has also turned it around this season spectacularly. She honestly was never going to be great in Season 2 with that terrible script she was given. She definitely had emmy moments, but she didn’t have enough intimate scenes this season to get a nom most likely.
    I will be slightly pissed if Dinklage gets the nomination over NCW, but he most likely will. NCW was incredible this season.
    Lena will win when they have Cersei’s walk of shame. Already getting chills thinking about it. I am sure Lena will deliver the breakdown of Cersei amazingly!

97. bassale
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

“By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”

98. Bryon
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

My thoughts are pretty close to WIC.

I though Early in the season Natalie Dormer was strong, but not much going on the second half of the season.

Emilia Clarke was very strong through out the entire season. Surely top 2 supporting actresses this season.

Michelle Fairley was OK the first half of the season for me. But all us book readers knew the Red Wedding if done right would put her over the top. It did so for me and it should earn her a nomination.

How can Maisie be over looked again? I think she needs to start sending in her own work.

Next year if certain material makes it to the screen and with her strong work this year Sophie Turner will be in the running with the other usual suspects.

Lena Heady will have her time too… just not this past season

Diana Rigg should hav e agreat chance of not only the nom but even talk of a win.

NCW is who we should be talking about from the actor side. This was Jaime Lannisters season. It is known.

Peter will have much better material next year and if done right will be in serious contention again.

Should Richard Mdden have had an entry this year? I’d say yes.

Kit Harrington is getting better every year and certanly a fan favorite. I agree that it just wasnty enough.

I want to see Charles Dance get a nom. i seriously think every scene he is in is amazing and just makes all the other actors around him better. Love to hate Tywin.

Ciaran Hinds, if Mance was built up bigger than life as he was in the books he’d have a much better chance. I don’t see a nom here.

Maybe we will get some Red Viper talk next year too!

Just my opinion.

99. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

So people think Michelle’s best scene this year was in the “The Rains of Castamere?”

“Valar Dohaeris”- how she comes by Robb’s side and shares the sadness of the dead at Harrenhal, that flash of pain across her visage as Robb realizes that she is still his prisoner and orders her to be confined to a cell.
    “Dark Wings Dark Words.” Her frustrated, condescending and distant maternal advice to Talisa. The tension she projects between them as Talisa sits down and Cat shares a piece of her soul in a stirring and forboding dialogue. Sure it was non-canon…
    “Walk of Punishment”: The emotional desolation of her fathers death and the supposed death of her children, the side eyeing at Edmure which told us exactly how those two siblings stand. And her tearful childhood remembrances with the Blackfish. Beautiful stuff.
    “Kissed by Fire” : not a lot to say but how she projected her silence, with her hair let down made her seem weakened, exposed, vulnerable as the results of her release of Jaime bore terrible fruit in front of her. Yet she manages to stand grimly in support of her son.
    “The Climb”, “The Bear and the Maiden Fair” : subtle support work.
    “Rains of Castamere”: from the opening tent scene when the bonds that were once broken between mother and son have started to mend to their vicious severing in last moments of the Red Wedding: a tour de force.

Fairley has been stellar this entire season. She deserves that Emmy as she created the emotional connect required to make the Red Wedding stir in our souls. I would also give an Emmy nod to her other partner in that enterprise, Michael McElhatton. From “Garden of Bones” to “Myhsa”, his Roose Bolton has been a performance of subtle, truly malevolent beauty.

100. Easteros bunny
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

None of them will win, the Emmy will go to madmen or downtown abbey.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre: Great. Thanx for posting this. Ive been waiting for these. i havent read them yet but ive spoiled myself a plenty. I didnt wanna pay 60 dollars per graphic novel so this is really exciting.

102. MissyFoo
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Charles Dance was amazing this season. Sucks that he will get passed over for a nom

103. Maddy
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Really want Nikolaj and Michelle to score a nomination, even though I doubt they’ll win just because they don’t get the screen time compared with actors in other shows – but really I don’t see how you can go past the bathtub scene, and the RW. Don’t want them to just nominate Peter Dinklage out of habit, but I don’t really understand the politics of how these things work. Dinklage will have much meatier material to dig into next year. It’s weird, I thought I was most excited for this season, but besides the RW, I actually think next season has some of the most awesome stuff!

I would LOVE so much for Queen of Thorns to win an Emmy! I don’t know if there is an ensemble award, but there is no way GOT couldn’t win that because with very few exceptions the actors on this show are insanely amazing!

104. Gabriel
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

strong>Joshua Taylor,

Well, she had a lot of awesome scenes, but the Red Wedding’s scene was just amazing. In my opinion, Fairley’s best.

105. Garlan NAITS
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

As much as I love Game of Thrones, I think we’re in a renaissance of television quality right now. There are a ton of good to great shows that are in their wrap up arcs (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Dexter for me). Given that this is one of the last two years for voters to select those shows, I think they’ll get a boost come awards time.

You have other strong candidates shows out there that historically do well (Downton Abbey, Good Wife (I hear)) and other strong shows that are deserving but have not been successful to date over the top shows (I’m thinking of Justified here).

I thought a few strong new shows came out this year too, most notably for me the Americans, and maybe Elementary (which is better than anyone who’s into Sherlock on the BBC will admit). I hear good things about a couple of others.

While Game of Thrones Season 3 was the best yet for me and my personal top watch right now, I can’t say that they should lock up the emmy wins. I would hope for a couple this year and more next year. If that doesn’t happen, maybe they get some make up Emmys when Breaking Bad, etc. are off the board.

Of the GOT potential nominees – I think Rigg should have a great shot. Her clip submission should be pretty dynamite (her and Dinklage? her and Dance? her explaining the effect of the Tyrell marriages on the family tree?), and guest performance is the right category for her to be in this year. I agree with others that this probably isn’t Dinklage’s year though a nomination could happen. I would be happy to see NCW get a nomination in his place this year, but I just don’t see him winning. I’m pretty conflicted on Michelle Fairley this year as good as the Red Wedding was, but she’s hard for me to judge through the lens of the character in the books. I’m not sure what the Unsullied would say.

I absolutely don’t get not nominating Charles Dance over Kit Harrington. Must be a screen time thing.

106. Garlan NAITS
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Upon further review … since apparently actors/actresses submit themselves, DnD need to get organized and ask people to submit themselves if they don’t think to do so themselves. Other shows, have notably organized their submission efforts (American Horror Story Season 1) to help the chances of the show getting Emmys, which = longer lived shows.

107. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Gabriel,

Oh don’t get me wrong, her Red Wedding work was out of this world but I’m just making a case for those that think she didn’t do much else.

108. Angela Nolting
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Are you freaking kidding me?! No Charles Dance? You’d have to be blind not to see how brilliant the man is. But even worse, you basically give Maisie the equivalent of a slap in the face with a fresh halibut. I mean, every scene that girl does is spot the f*** on. And the scenes she was given, with Gendry, The Hound, Thoros and Beric, The Red Freaking WEDDING… That child is absolute gold and you passed her completely by in lieu of Shae the Funny Whore.

If I didn’t love Thrones so much, I’d boycott HBO altogether.
    Oh, yeah. Charles, Maisie…fire your agents. lol. They should have submitted you both as well.

109. WildSeed
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 12:06 am | Permalink

mags giantsbabe: It’s a shame Ciaran did’nt get more to do.

A bit odd, but the season proved ambitious for so much going on, though the
    pace was excellent. Actor Hinds will get meatier lines in the episodes to come.

Despite the S2 & S3 script ( with exception to the Tully-Frey wedding ), Catelyn’s
    role was margined some, but Michelle Fairley performed the role with aplomb
    every time. Those scenes , particularly in S 1 and later S3, really showcased
    her true range. She deserves the nod over Headley’s Cersei, anyday………..
    although for what we have left to witness, Headley may prove me wrong.

Hodor’s great grandmother,Nan, wouldn’t want me to give up on Jon Snow so
    soon, so I’ll pray to the old gods to improve his worth (: His scenes should
    be improving too, in upcoming episodes / seasons.

110. WildSeed
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 12:10 am | Permalink

Lex: The first 3 Dunk and Egg novellas will also finally be published in a single volume, sometime next year. LONG overdue, IMO.

There was talk of this bound set , which was to include a 4th tale. I’m waiting
    patiently, though, and haven’t become disparaged enough to seek further info.

111. WildSeed
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 12:18 am | Permalink

Garlan NAITS,

Possibly Boardwalk maybe suffering a tad, though not necessarily in it’s last
    stages of development. The primary shows you mentioned, in it’s exodus,
    may contribute to the peer award grab.

With one dissension , the Americans “, perhaps I gave up too easily after 2 viewings,
    but I was not impressed by it, not even the pilot show.

112. WildSeed
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 12:22 am | Permalink

DH87: Agreed. The top vote-getters (voters are within the same general guild category: actors vote on actors, etc.) among the self-nominated become the official nominees. The actors also choose the category (lead/supporting/guest) in which they wish to be considered.

One has to exhibit enough ” moxie ” to pull it off, methinks.

113. WildSeed
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 12:27 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    Joshua Taylor,

nominate themselves.

114. Andrew Eng
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Angela Nolting:

If I didn’t love Thrones so much, I’d boycott HBO altogether.

Yes, I would preferred Dance to be submitted. He would fit in very well in Guest Actor (along with fellow non-submitee Conleth Hill who especially dominated episode 4), but since he’s now a regular, he would have to go in Supporting Actor. While a tough category, I’d easily back a nomination for him in place of Harington. And Dance is one of the few actors on GoT to have been an Emmy nominee before (the others being Dinklage, Dillane, and Rigg), so he has the name recognition to get in, as well as having the material.

Williams being left out is disappointing, especially after being submitted last year. But since child actors rarely get nominated (exceptions include Claire Danes for My So-Called Life in 1995, but who had to wait until 2010 to win for Temple Grandin and 2012 to win for Homeland), I guess HBO thought it wouldn’t be worth it to submit her and Turner, who was also submitted last year. Like you, I would place Williams ahead of Kekilli, and even ahead of Headey and Fairley (the latter of whom had not much to do except for her monologue in episode 2, her scene with the Blackfish in episode 3, and the final minutes of The Rains of Castamere). Of the ladies, Clarke and Dormer deserve the most attention and while the former has a slight shot, the latter has none which is a shame.

Lastly, to those who say Dinklage should step aside, do you really think HBO (and Dinklage’s reps) would let GoT’s only Emmy nominee/winner for acting not have a chance to win again? Dinklage is nearly locked for a nomination, and HBO would be shooting themselves in the foot by losing an easy nominee. And it’s not like his performance dropped in quality. He remained excellent whenever he was on-screen (particularly opposite Dance and Rigg), and his performance in “Second Sons” provided enough justification for a third nomination. I agree Coster-Waldau was the Supporting Actor standout, but Dinklage doesn’t deserve the scorn.

115. Vicky
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 3:20 am | Permalink

Emilia and Michelle had outstanding scenes. One of them should get the nomination.

116. Caroline
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 3:34 am | Permalink

I think Rory McCann knocks it out of the park every time he steps in front of the camera, shame he’ll never get a look in.

117. UF
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 3:36 am | Permalink

I may be biased, but the only actor that really stood out for me this season was Nik.

Not that others were bad, but he really shone.

Michelle was good in the RW, but she had little to do the rest of the season, so I don’t know if she has a chance.

(ps. as for Breaking bad, I watched the first three eps and found it totally boring… I must be missing something…)

118. WildSeed
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 4:34 am | Permalink

SDGM:
    Turncloak,

Hate is a strong word, I hope no one out there in the fandom actually despises
    her performance, at any rate. Since her introduction to the series, I’ve admired
    her performance, and I get the connection better than I did with book Shae.
    Both she and GoT Tyrion share good chemistry between them, they seem like
    a believable pair, even without the extraneous details of Tyrion traveling to secret
    trysts.This is one example of where the writers took reasonable liberties to flesh
    out particular characters, tweaking for finer points.I ‘ll hate to see her go.

I love her pattern of speech, never a word misunderstood.

119. sunspear
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 7:08 am | Permalink

So, what do we think the odds are that we win best drama? I think between critics finally giving up on Mad Men, Homeland taking a major hit in quality, critics willing to wait to throw every award at Breaking Bad until the final season a la LotR, and the Red Wedding Hype we’ve got a really good chance.

120. Adam
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 7:19 am | Permalink

Ben Watson:
    I think PD takes an Emmy WIN (not necessarily nomination) break until perhaps his river boat cruise.He’ll have another chance to shine once across the narrow sea.

If you’re going to fill a post with spoilers, why only surround a few key phrases with spoiler tags? Your post makes it obvious to an Unsullied that PD is *around* for a few more years, which is certainly a spoiler.

121. K
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Shocked that Maisie and Gwen were snubbed.

122. ATG
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Selmy:
    My votes would be
    supporting actor – Nikolaj
    supporting actress – Michelle Fairley
    Guest actor – Dame Diana

Yep, pretty much this.

123. Harry
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Caroline:

Bronn in the TV show is likeable, cool and so. But Rory McCann did not have to “create” something in any scene and that’s what the Emmys are about.
    His scenes are funny, but no masterpieces of acting like they were to be found with other actors this season.

124. EasyGo
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 7:54 am | Permalink

K,

not shocked at all. they are both overrated.

125. Turncloak
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 8:00 am | Permalink

K,

I don’t think Maisie or Gwen nominated themselves so can’t really call it a snub if they didnt give themselves a chance

126. Turncloak
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 8:03 am | Permalink

K,

Angela Nolting,

Charles Dance did not nominate himself for an Emmy. This was made clear by Alan Sepinwall in his supporting actor Emmy article

127. Boojam
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Sophie:

I found myself feeling that Emilia redeemed herself this season, especially the first 4 episodes. I think Dave and Dan had the wrong take on her season 2, she’s young and not with enough experience to push back on the take on her character. I think they realized that and were more careful this season. As for an Emmy nomination , no I do not think it’s in the cards her.
    As in the books Dany is one of my favorite characters.

128. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

Man reading Sepinwall’s past reviews, I think the constant spoiling in his comment section by book readers shows itself into his complete lack of emotional investment in the Red Wedding scene. To me it was like “fuck you bookreaders! Your big moment = meh for me. How do you like them apples?”
    Otherwise his reviews towards the show have been fair.

129. Crow
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Boojam,

she she was much better this season than in season 2. Dany is my favorite character as well and i’d love to see Emilia getting the nomination. as for the male i go with Nikolaj.

130. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

King DBC,

Don’t punch the baby!

***Kudos for anyone who gets the pop culture reference…….

131. DH87
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: I can’t argue with you there, only as Turncloak and DH87 pointed out, the actors
    nominate themselves.

Exactly. So when HBO trumpets its “nominations,” it’s not because HBO padded the entries. In fact, an argument can be made that for the five formal nominees (as opposed to the “self-nominations), the multitude of HBO candidates adds to the HBO competition by pitting the self nominees “against” each other. That certainly is the case in the ensemble casts, such as those on the Borgias, True Blood, GOT, Spartacus, etc., where many actors get equal amounts of screen time. Strongly focused “lead” dramas, like Homeland, give heavy hitters like Claire Danes and Damien Lewis massive amounts of screen time to work their magic. Even Mad Men, with its strong cast, is basically the Jon Hamm show. You can’t say whose show the ensemble cast drama really is.

132. DH87
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: One has to exhibit enough ” moxie ” to pull it off, methinks.

Well, there are at least four ways to help make the decision. First, billing: am I a lead actor by billing? Second, screen time: how long have I appeared on camera? Third is speaking lines: how many lines do I have vis a vis the rest of the cast? (And before anyone says screen time=lines of dialogue, in action flicks, someone can be on camera during long car chases and blow-em-ups with very little actual dialogue.) Four: what are my prospects against other potential nominees this season?

The fact that your peers are aware of all of these possibilities usually keeps people honest. That is, if Jon Hamm nominated himself as a supporting actor in Mad Men, I very much doubt his peers would reward that decision with an award.

133. RitaJones
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Emmys also tend to get doled out for the PREVIOUS year’s performance. Just look at Downton Abbey. The first season was a high quality production on every level, then it slid into a sea of melodrama so wide and deep it swallowed the show whole. DA won for best series the year it featured a subplot in which a Canadian soldier with his face blown off poorly impersonated the dead heir. I literally laughed out loud when that first aired. It was terrible (in an entertaining, pop-corn munching kind of way).

So there might be some hope for Lena Hadley, is basically what I’m getting at. She’s been consistently awesome for 3 years. I respect her even more when I see her in interviews and I realize she’s the most un-Cersei person on the planet.

134. WildSeed
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

DH87,

Har, point well taken ! There’s no denying the ” quality control ” emphasis.

I’d imagine thus, for proven actors like Dance, instincts warn that he’s done
    better work elsewhere,in films, no matter the cable recognition. And as much as
    he makes effectual, the role of Tywin Lannister, the challenge remains small.
    Perhaps this influences his ” hat thrown in the ring ” (?) . Just wildly
    speculating here. At the end of the day, I’d wager production execs encouraging
    actors to submit their names, for the good of the show. Again, just a guess.

135. WildSeed
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

King DBC,

LOL, kiss… kiss the baby ! You got the message mixed up. And avoid getting
    ” punched drunk ” (:

Indeed, Ms Fairley deserves a nod from her peers.

136. DH87
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Yes, HBO suits, your talent agent, your manager, your mother, your spouse….all probably want you to at least throw your hat into the ring. Really, on the voted-upon nominations resonate with the public and peers. The speculation, such as that here and on entertainment websites, can help careers, of course.

137. El Beto
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was amazing and is the only GoT actor who deserves not only win but get a nomination at all

138. WildSeed
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 2:09 am | Permalink

Too sad, we have forgotten altogether Dan Hildebrand’s stellar performance as
    slave overlord, Krasnys. With his transformation to fit this role, and convince
    all watching and listening that he actually hails from Astapor ( Mereen ? , I forget ),
    beats the socks off of Ciarin Hinds ‘ scene (s). Too bad he’s not in the lineup.

139. Caravaggio
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I will consider it a massive snub if Michelle Fairley isn’t nominated.

140. John
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Teresa,

Emmy nominations are actually much lazier than Oscar or Grammies. At least for the latter, the perennial nominees need to actually make a movie or release an album. The Emmies just decide that someone will get a nomination, and then keep nominating them until their show goes off the air.

141. Kiki
    Posted July 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau deserves the Best Supporting Male nod (that bathtub scene…wow) and Michelle Fairley for Best Female Supporting (she performance was the reason I even emotionally reacted to that scene). See, I don’t think Natalie Dormer will get in that category you listed, but I get the feeling she’ll have to complete with her on-screen grandmother for Guest Actress in her role in Elementary . The category isn’t crazy competitive and gives Dormer a fair shot.

Sibel Kekilli
    Yeah, not gonna happen.

I laughed for a good three minutes there. She’s not a bad actress at all, but she got chosen over Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Gwendoline Christie, and Rose Leslie is beyond me.

142. The Dude
    Posted July 12, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

David Bradley (Walder Frey) not being pushed as best guest actor is outrageous. He’d be a strong candidate for the win. There’s no explanation for his absence.

Fairley is my win for this year. Waldau should be nominated too, although the best performance in the category this year was Corey Stall in House of Cards, IMO. Dinkage is fine, but he doesn’t deserve to be nominated this year.

143. Sophia
    Posted July 13, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I recognize that Pete is an awesome actor and Tyrion an even better character but this was not Tyrion’s season. I felt that even Tywin had more lines that him in season 3. I think Michelle actually deserves it more than anyone but she was just kinda in the sideline for most of the season (and who’s fault is that D&D) but Nikolaj…I mean come on that was some raw acting and deserved to be recognized! I would hate to see him snubbed by the stupid academy (just as was Lena last year)

144. Bryan Dowling
    Posted July 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I hope Nicolaj gets a nomination because his performance in episode 5 blew me to mars it was that incredible and it’s one of the best performances I’ve seen ever and I’ve seen a lot of great performances from Brando to De Niro to Pacino to Hackman e.x. but if Peter gets nominated it will be very undeserved and besides 1 scene [episode 8] which pales compared to his Blackwater work and also Nicolaj’s overall performance in Season 3 and I feel he didnt do enough this season to deserve a nomination when Nicolaj did 2 great scenes [Hand cut off scene in episode 3 and Threatening Locke in episode 7] and 1 mind-blowing scene [Bathtub scene in episode 5] so Nicolaj has to get at least a nomination or the Emmy’s are a joke [which they kinda all ready are, proof: The Wire not being nominated any year]

145. Bryan Dowling
    Posted July 16, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Oh and also Sibel Kekil on the Emmy Consideration is a fucking joke and HBO or whoever submitted her should be ashamed as she is souless in the role and a tree could envoke more emotion than Sibel.

And Ciaran Hind’s as Mance was so underused that he dosent deserve Best Guest Actor if anything it should be David Bradley who knocked it out of park in The Rains of Castemere.