Interview Round-up: Emilia Clarke talks Emmys and Mark Gatiss teases his role
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Press.

‘Tis the season for more interviews! With the Emmy nominations announced yesterday and San Diego Comic Con in full swing, the Game of Thrones cast is once again out in force.

First up, Emilia Clarke reacts to her Emmy nomination, courtesy of the Los Angeles Times.

“Yer chomoe anhaan. Jin ha Khalaan, shekh ma shieraki anni.”

That’s Dothraki, in case you were wondering. And it’s what “Game of Thrones” star Emilia Clarke had to say in her character Daenerys Targaryen’s native tongue Thursday morning after receiving word she had been nominated for a supporting actress Emmy in the drama category.

Apparently, it means “You do honor to me. This is for the Khal – my sun and stars.”

She gives answers in English too, head over to the full interview to read them. She also spoke with the New York Times, where she talks about watching the Red Wedding.

Meanwhile, at Comic-Con, Access Hollywood’s Jolie Lash caught up with newest Thrones cast member, Mark Gatiss, and tried to get him to spill the beans on his role.

Lastly, Kit Harington sat down with The Hollywood Reporter for a chat.

Winter Is Coming: Emilia giving a thank you in Dothraki? Be still, my nerd heart.

1. Turncloak
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:36 am | Permalink

I’m positive Gatiss will be playing Mace Tyrell

2. Adam Whitehead
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

I think it’s a lot less likely now. They only stared filming 11 days ago, and I believe he only tweeted he’d flown to Belfast on the second day.

If we look at Mace’s role in the book:

He’s at the wedding, which will likely be a huge, multi-day shoot.
    Presumably he has some kind of introduction scene (or a few) before that.
    Small council scenes with the rest of the council before, after and inbetween events.
    On Tyrion’s trial panel with the Red Viper and Tywin.

I think it’s doubtful they’d fit all of that into 8-9 days of filming.

3. Davy
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:
    Turncloak,

If we look at Mace’s role in the book:

He’s at the wedding, which will likely be a huge, multi-day shoot.
    Presumably he has some kind of introduction scene (or a few) before that.
    On Tyrion’s trial panel with the Red Viper and Tywin.

I think it’s doubtful they’d fit all of that into 8-9 days of filming.

4. Shywalker
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Oh my gosh, Adam– thanks for sharing that! I am laughing my butt off, and I can’t wait for someone to gif GRRM smashing that guitar.

5. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Who says they were filming the wedding then?

6. Carne
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Tad off-topic, but I made this calendar so people can see when the GoT SDCC panel is starting in their timezone.

7. omer8882
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:47 am | Permalink

ohh…
    Gatiss *shakes fist*

8. Selmy
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Yeah I’m now seriously doubting that Gatiss will be Mace if he’s finished filming already. I think he will pretty much just be a cameo akin to Burn Gorman in season 3. Mace would definitely be present for the Royal Wedding and I’m sure we will hear about that when they’re filming it as it will need alot of extras and will be a huge production. I would be very surprised if they’ve filmed that already on the sly.

9. Arkash
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:50 am | Permalink

The “hair” tidbits definitly could make one think of the Damphair.

10. Adam Whitehead
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Davy,

No, he’s said he’s done and finished all his filming for Season 4. He even says he could only do it because it was a limited role he could fit in between Eps 2 and 3 of SHERLOCK (whilst Martin Freeman was wrapping up THE HOBBIT).

Obviously he can still return in Season 5 or later, but his comments clearly meant that he had fully completed his work on this season.

11. azad injejikian
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Hair?

damphair?

12. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:56 am | Permalink

If he is Damphair we could be in for a treat with the Iron Islands storyline! Was seriously thinking he would be cut. *finger crossed*

13. Fourth of His Name
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Arkash,

and I could definitely see him playing Damphair.

14. New Wolf
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:00 am | Permalink

I think Gatiss said he finished filming Sherlock, not Got.
    Edit: I watched the video again and I was wrong. I can’t believe he’s already finished!

15. AA
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Sorry, LA Times, but Dothraki is not “Daenerys Targaryen’s native tongue”

16. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Ok, so he can’t be Mace, as no way would he have finished filming already.

Damphair on the other hand….why not? I’m not sure if they will have the Kingsmoot this season – it’s looking less and less likely, but maybe he could have a role at the end of Season 4 in preparation for the Kingsmoot.

Something Greyjoy related would make a lot of sense, as it probably wouldn’t need a group of characters in the same room, doing multiple scenes.

17. Arkash
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Carne,

Carne, thanks, that rocks ! ;)

It is strongly possible that they introduce Damphair this season… I’m possitive we will see Balon’s death and I could see the show hinting at the Kingsmoot…

Something like :

- Damphair introduction in episode 2 or 3 alongside Balon.
    - Balon’s death in the continuity of this introduction.
    - Silence being spotted on the horizon. Damphair fearing that.
    - Learning via Damphair that Euron seized the Seastone Chair around episode 6/7.
    - Damphair proclaming the Kingsmoot in the finale, laying ground for it next season.

18. Ser Tahu
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:12 am | Permalink

To those speculating Aeron, why not Euron? Although my theory when it comes to the Greyjoy’s this season is this:
    episode 2: Aeron is talking with Balon. Balon leaves and Aeron watches him get pushed off a bridge. Aeron notices the Silence in the distance.
    episode 3: Aeron acts as a POV for Euron storming the throne room and crowning himself.
    episode 6-8: YarAsha returns and confronts Euron. She conspires with Aeron.
    episode 9 or 10: The Kingsmoot is called, setting it up to happen near the start of season 5.

19. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Arkash,

That sounds great! I really wonder how they’ll handle Euron/Victarion. Do you think they’ll merge the roles?

20. Lady of Highgarden
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

I’m glad he (probably) isn’t Mace. He looks nothing like I pictured Mace.

21. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Just because the clue given was ‘hair’. Plus if they do introduce Aeron he will likely be introduced earlier than Euron. (not sure if Euron will appear in Season 4).

Bryan Cogman is a fan of Aeron too, so it’s not unlikely that he will show up in Season 4.

moophasa,
    Doubt it. The two characters are very different and I think they will likely have very different roles in future books.

22. RichMan
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Ah the typical accuracy of standard reportage “That’s Dothraki, …. Daenerys Targaryen’s native tongue.”

Uhmm, Nope. Dothraki would be the language of her dead husband which she did not speak when they were married. High Valyrian would be her native tonge in that it is the language of her family.

The languauge normally spoken in Westeros would be Andal otherwise known as the common tonge. Although she might have spent more time in the free cities of Esteros where Low Valyrian is the standard.

23. Arkash
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:23 am | Permalink

moophasa,

I dont think they will merge Euron and Victarion, but they are most likely keeping Vic for season 5 and the Kingsmoot.

And I so want them to cast Euron this season… the scene where Euron storms into the throne room of Pyke and crowns himself could be amazing cinematography, imagine it with a storm outside, and lightning flashing in the room while a dark and terrific Euron enters the place and sits on the throne !

Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Not saying much, is he? Suprised he’s done already. I see Adam’s discussed that above … yeah, less likely he’s Mace now. I’m okay with that :)

25. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

I agree. Hope you’re right.

26. DanBeresford
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:34 am | Permalink

I really hope they don’t merge Victarion and Euron, they are polar opposites. Victarion seems an honourable sort as far as the ironborn way allows. Euron just seems like a total douche.

Ultimately though, I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

27. Patty
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:36 am | Permalink

aw so cute what she said. my poor Khal/Khaleesi heart <3

28. Selmy
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Carne,

Thats so cool! Thanks!
    10:50pm here in the UK. Will it be live-streaming anywhere?

29. Simon
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Dany/Drogo were so cute!!!
    can Emilia be even more sympathetic?

30. Arkash
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Ultimately though, I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

With a little luck, only a few hours… I think the com team of HBO is fully aware of the excpectations of this Comic Con. After last year’s success and buzz about the casting video announcments, I dont think it’s much of a risk to bet on another one tonight !

31. queenofthorns
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Didn’t anyone else catch how he said he’d been doing the “northern accent” for the role?

So far I think they’ve reserved that accent for those from The North and also North of the wall. He may be a wildling or a new Northerner… Can’t think who off-hand…

32. Selmy
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Arkash,

Yeah they surely have to announce/ reveal something. And seems as its way too early for any footage in the form of a trailer etc, casting announcements seem the way to go.

33. ATG
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Arkash,

Cover your spoilers please.

34. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Wow. That interview basically gave away, uh, NOTHING at all.

It involves hair. Well, GREAT. So he could be the Damphair, or Euron (why not?), or someone of the Night’s Watch, or hell, it’s a wig, fine, he’s a re-cast Daenarys for all I know. “I’ve done it” does mean he might indeed be done filming. He could be another Frey, though perhaps his chin isn’t weak enough.

So, uh, video at Comicon, anyone? Please. Hello?

35. Sunny
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

By the old gods and the new I hope this show keeps the line:

“I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last. ” Euron.

36. ATG
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Carne,

Thanks a lot very helpful.

37. the other guy
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:02 am | Permalink

He’s not Mace, that’s for sure. They didn’t even start filming the KL stuff in Croatia, and he’s already done shooting his scenes.

38. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

DanBeresford:

Ultimately though, I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

If they’re in the show, and I think they will be, I doubt they’re merged. Won’t make sense. They could lose the Kingsmoot and just make it Euron, though. We might have Aeron turned more or less into a cameo role, although to be honest? Their plotlines could be reduced over the next 2 years to this:

–Kingsmoot. (Or delete it.)
    –Referencing Euron becoming King, perhaps Yara is made aware.
    –Victarion invading the Shield Islands.
    –Euron telling Victarion to go get him Danys.
    –Victarion on the high seas, perhaps with Moqorro.

That’s really not a lot of screen time. And they’ve got such a distinct look (Victarion is a big big bruiser, Euron has a goddamned eyepatch) that it won’t be as hard to keep them straight.

39. Selmy
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink
  40. Bgap
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Are there plans to live stream the GOT comic con panel today? Greatly appreciate any links.

41. Michelle Yvette Peeples
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Carne,

This is great. Thank you. Of course, I will be on a subway at the time.

Any idea, anyone, if it’s live streaming anywhere?

Michelle

42. rofl
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

kit is a trekkie? that’s a bit dissapointing… but i would still like to huddle with him on iceland, haha :D

43. Jason
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Hopefully Jason and Emilia meet at Comic Con today. They are so cute together

44. Barristan
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Patty,

IKR? Also my first thinking. impressive how she still can speak dothraki

45. Jake
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Kettleback?

46. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Alright Kit, you’re a fellow Trek enthusiast.

You’re good people.

47. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

That’s pretty lame if Mark isn’t Mace cause IMO he’d be perfect as him.

48. gisizzlah
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

i agree with those who said damphair or euron…

49. Phil
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

DanBeresford:

Ultimately though, I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

I’m pretty sure that can’t and wont merge them because them being 2 separate characters seems like it’s gonna be EXTREMELY important to the story, just based on my own thoughts after reading Dance

50. Onion Knight
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Phil: I’m pretty sure that can’tand wont merge them because them being 2 separate characters seems like it’s gonna be EXTREMELY important to the story

Yeah, agreed. I have no idea why people keep saying they will be merged, the two characters will likely end up in conflict with one another, so I don’t see how that would work out.

51. arden
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Native tongue? Imbiciles

52. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Can anyone confirm if this will be a livestream?

53. Carne
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Selmy,

Michelle Yvette Peeples,

They didn’t last year so I don’t think they will this time either, but I’m sure WiC will keep us updated as soon as something is revealed at Comic-Con.

54. Justice
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Hey everyone, do any of you know how to have your iPhone notify you every time this website makes a post? Or is that possible….

55. Barristan
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

oh i nearly forgot, Kit is a Trekkie Fan :D

56. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Justice,

Not unless they make an app I don’t think. If you’re travelling or don’t have access to a computer you’ll probably have to make do with refreshing the page as often as you can! Very frustrating on an iPhone, I know.

57. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Random thought – the two guys they cast as Black Walder and Lame Lothar were just perfect. They had the Frey “weak chins,” and their “schmuck with earflaps” headgear was just awesome. I hope if we see more Freys, it’ll just become a visual cue that they keep wearing those stupid damned hats. (David Bradley, oddly, has a pretty strong chin, but he’s just so vile it doesn’t matter.)

58. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

I agree about those hats. Although Frey family headgear doesn’t feature in the books (I don’t think…), the moment I saw them with those stupid flappy-eared Smurf hats I just knew: ‘F*cking Frey!’. Really good costume design.

59. cabbo
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Confirmed Griff.

60. Stannis For King
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Given Gatiss has filmed his scenes already, and the only people we know that have filmed are the Dragonstone crew, could he potentially be Cotter Pyke?

I think they’re going to have to invent stuff for Stannis to do in the early part of the season since it looks like their arrival at the wall will be episode 9. It would also help establish Pyke in a small-ish role if they’re going to use him for Sam’s LC plot.

Could work?

61. ebevan91
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Stannis For King:

Could work?

I’ve suggested before that Gatiss could be one of Stannis’s men or Selyse’s men.

62. Hi-Fi
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Exciting day!

A bit off-topic: does anyone know if Tara Fitzgerald is returning this year as Selyse? We’ve got confirmation of Liam, Stephen, Carice and Kerry on set, but not Tara.

63. Arthur
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink
  64. imlad
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I’m starting to wonder if Gatiss might be playing the High Septon. We never really had the original High Septon (at least not as a speaking role), and he got torn limb from limb two seasons ago anyways.

Since the High Septon starts becoming a player in the later books, I think the character needs to be introduced. Too soon?

65. AA
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Justice,

Follow WiCnet on twitter, they post a link on twitter every time a new article is posted here: https://twitter.com/WiCnet

And you can set your iPhone, in the notification center, to notify you when there are new tweets

66. Arthur
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink
  67. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

cabbo,

wut?

68. Benjen_S
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

The Kindly Man? He looks pretty kindly.

69. Isabelle
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Thanks!! Best parts were the discussions of

1) how he’d write his character’s death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvF0rMRLcUQ&feature=share (1:40)

And 2) his “unsexiest” moment–hysterical!!!

70. Scudder
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure this has been posted yet:

So David Bradley (Walder Frey) is back for season 4 and Mark Gatiss confirms he has done his filming.

71. Huge Floppys
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Is anyone else starting to root against Khaleesi? I dunno why but i’m starting 2

72. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Pyke or Damphair. Either way i want iron islands

73. Yago
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Huge Floppys,

I’m not exactly starting to…

74. JP Dayne
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

he will have a hair-do?
    OMG
    WE HAVE OUR BRYNDEN RIVERS!!!

75. Bethany
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

imlad,

I think this is possible. Didn’t the High Sparrow wear a hair shirt? That’s where my mind went when he said “it involves hair,” but I admit Damphair probably makes more sense according to that little breadcrumb. :)

76. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

moophasa:
    GreatJon of Slumber,

77. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Scudder:
    I’m not sure this has been posted yet:

That’s an interesting bit…I wouldn’t expect that, but hell, who cares, he’s so awful it’s always nice to have him around. Argus Filch returns!

78. Pepi
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Given all the secrecy I’m beginning to think they’ll indeed introduce the Griffs early. At this point I don’t see any other character(s) that are worth being secretive about. Maybe just a few scenes (without revealing their real identity) in this season to set some fundaments for the future.

79. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

We can probably rule out KL characters or Essos characters. With the wig clue there are some possibilities

Aeron- It seems strange to cast a good comic actor as somebody so dour but it’s possible

Bloodraven – They probably don’t want to let Bran get too far ahead, but meeting BR in the finale is a strong possibility

Styr – The hair clue could actually be about a bald cap

Cotter Pyke or Merritt Frey – I don’t know what hair has to do with either of these but I’m still going to throw them on the pile

It’s great news that David Bradley is back. I wonder if this confirms that Lady Stoneheart isn’t cut. Maybe there is a scene of Walder reacting to the Frey hangings or arranging for the ransom to the BWB. Yay!!

80. Nezzer
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Scudder:
    I’m not sure this has been posted yet:

That’s great! I hope D&D make Walder Frey and Roose Bolton go to Joffrey’s wedding. It would be hilarious if they smiled at each other the moment Joffrey dies, as if they were thinking about how they can’t attend to a wedding without seeing a king’s death. I’d love D&D forever if they did this =D

81. AA
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Pepi,

I just think the secrecy is because there will be some sort of reveal during the SDCC panel. We will know by the end of the day!

Scudder,

Interesting that Bradley will be back for Season 4. Possibly he will be the Frey killed during the Stoneheart reveal – that could be badass. Or perhaps D&D just wanted to keep him around because he is a treacherous character played by a great actor. Maybe Frey and Bolton will go to KL for the royal wedding and have great interactions with the KL characters.

82. Superdeluxe
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Love lash trying to confirm mace there are so many characters to remember ‘like Diana rigg’

83. Goblinkingslavemaster
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Anyone else think that GoT might combine the iron islanders characters. I’m thinking they won’t kill off balon and just have him take over eurons story arch… Just to simplify and add fewer new characters…

84. Cielo Snow
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Jeff O’Connor,

Oh, I love him more now!

85. Davy
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Hmm, Mark Gatiss did some accent at the start of his interview. Might that be a hint? As it sounds very wildling/northern/iron islandish to me.

86. petillionaire
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Goblinkingslavemaster,

It showed Stannis burning the leaches and saying “the usurper Balon Greyjoy” – pretty good clue…

87. Goblinkingslavemaster
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

petillionaire,

Ohhh forgot about that part

88. RichMan
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

The new “indigo”

“If you could duet with Neil Patrick Harris what would you sing?”

89. Morrigan
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Justice:

There are surely RSS readers for the iPhone? You could use that and subscribe to this site’s RSS feed.

90. Peter
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

The first 7 seconds of Kit’s interview…brilliant! Plus he loves Adventure Time. It’s great to see someone in this world has their head screwed on straight!

91. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

” Or perhaps D&D just wanted to keep him around because he is a treacherous character played by a great actor. ”

This.

It works as an operating theory for a lot of what D&D do. “Let’s throw Varys in a room with Tyrion/Bronn/Lady Olenna/Stringer Bell/Boyd Crowder because it’ll be awesome.” (It is.)

“Let’s send Melisandre to the Riverlands to get Gendry just have her stare down Maisie Williams and utter some cryptic cool stuff. It’ll be awesome and we can dump this Edric nonsense.” (It is.)

“Let’s have an argument between Bronn and the Hound.”
    “Sure, why not? It’ll be awesome.” (It is.)

So, if for Season 4, its “Can we throw in David Bradley for a couple of scenes? Wouldn’t that be awesome?” (Yes, it will be.)

92. Cary Storm
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Actually, this Mark Gatiss set image has been snuck out and it pretty much confirms what part he is playing: http://www.wicgeeks.com/download.spark?ID=1358412&aBID=148860

93. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

That link loads up no image.

94. Jen@House Stark
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Lol, Lord Storm, hehehehehehe

95. Cary Storm
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Grumble grumble. Try this

96. Shywalker
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

wah wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

97. jentario
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:
    Not an interview but:

George R.R. Martin and Neil Gaiman interrupt a performance of that ‘Write Like the Wind’ song.

Thank you. Made my day!
    I love the top comments:
    “I didn’t know that guitar was a Stark.”
    “The Red Concert.”

98. jentario
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

DanBeresford: Victarion seems an honourable sort as far as the ironborn way allows.

What?! Murdering your wife for betraying you, constantly raping and even beating the dusky woman and the general act of complete dumbass/asshole. How very honorable…

99. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

jentario,

The way he treated the poor Maester…

100. patchface
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

There are several possibilities: Coldhands, Jon Connington, Damphair.

I wish Emilia had spoken in Valyrian!

101. Nanuk
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

ebevan91,

One of the Queen’s men. A Florent amalgamate. He’ll be the one trying to marry Val next season.

102. Virtus
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

If he’s Mace, why can’t he tell it? HBO has already confirmed that Mace is in, so why the secrecy? If anything, the secrecy might point toward him being Coldhands.

103. Summer Is Coming
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

What about Merret Frey? Could he be him?

104. mariamb18
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber: Yes, they’re perfect. And because we’re coming to see the Freys as a collective crew of treacherous ass-clowns, it helps to have that kind of design. And for the TV fans only, it’ll be a great “Oh, another one of these jerkbags” reaction they can get from those stupid hats.

The hats with earflaps are perfect as an identifier for the Freys. That little costume choice makes me very happy. Thanks, Michele Clapton.

Stannis For King:

I missed the info about only the Dragonstone crew having filmed. If that is the case, then I suppose that Cotter Pyke is a possibility. Or perhaps Axell Florent, although that seems like an unncessary role. And why would either of these involve “hair’?

Davy: Can’t it be that he has some scenes on day 2-3 and then more on day 24-25 (or even later) and he decided to go to comic con in the meantime?

Of course, this is possible but I interpreted his comments in that interview to mean that he was done for the season. Maybe that’s incorrect but that’s what I understood. And if that’s the case, then it becomes less likely that he is Mace…especially in light of the comment above that only Dragonstone people have filmed.

I’m confused. Maybe Comic Con will clarify it.

105. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Yeah, Bloodraven is a real possibility as well. Would explain why he’s being tight-lipped about it.

106. Nick Larter
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Patchface – fits with the Dragonstone filming that we know has been going on? And he’s bald!

107. DH87
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Off topic, but there’s life after GOT, the Khal has been cast as lead in a new Sundance series.

108. YvyB
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Carne,

That’s so nice of you! Thanks :D

109. Ivan
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Mark Gatiss says it involves hair, and we know it has been a short shoot. Here’s a wild theory, maybe he’s Aerys in a flashback scene. I could see him as the Mad King.

110. Paul
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Huge Floppys:

Don’t worry there is already a sector on here right at it ,going at the actor and /or the role.

111. YvyB
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns:

So far I think they’ve reserved that accent for those from The North and also North of the wall.He may be a wildling or a new Northerner…Can’t think who off-hand…

Hi,
    I picked up on him saying that… which actors have had Irish accents so far? I haven’t heard any I don’t think :/ ( maybe I’ve forgotten..I am getting on a bit ;))

112. Cary Storm
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

YvyB: Hi,
    I picked up on him saying that…which actors have had Irish accents so far?I haven’t heard any I don’t think :/( maybe I’ve forgotten..I am getting on a bit ;))

Maybe he was just having fun with the fact that he’d just spent some time in Northern Ireland? :-)

113. varysthespider
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

There is no word for “Thank You” in Dothraki?

114. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Ivan,

D&D have already said No Flashbacks. They basically look pretty cheesy.

115. YvyB
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

Party pooper *raspberry*

116. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

YvyB,

Liam Cunningham. His Davos accent isn’t the same as his normal accent, but you can definitely hear the Irish in there.

117. YvyB
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

moophasa,

Hmm a bit , his accent is all over the place .. but he’s the only one ?

118. HalfWarg
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Not trying to open myself up to massive amounts of heat, but if Gatiss ends up playing any of the Iron Islands characters I’m going to be disappointed, because I seriously hope the majority of that storyline will be cut.

In my opinion, the II stuff is most likely the worst work GRRM has ever done, and condensing it into basically Euron with the dragon flute thing as another potential player at the end is better than trying to span another side area out when half its characters are boring and its overall inclusion is unnecessary.

119. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

YvyB,

I think so. They try to stick to keeping the actors sounding British, which has become the established thing for a ‘medieval’ setting. To be fair at certain points Davos almost sounds Geordie.

120. YvyB
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

moophasa,

Being Geordie , I concur ! I was going to say that myself :D
    Craster was too… but Queenofthornes said there was a few so I was curious as to whom she thought had Irish accents …

121. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

He could be a fit for Damphair. I suppose he looks close enough to the actor who plays Balon to be his younger brother.

But that begs the question, why keep it a secret? It’s not like Damphair’s identity is concealed in the books, like Ramsay’s is (which was the other character I recall they didn’t announce). Then again, other than Ramsay, I can’t think of another character who’s disguised like that. So I really have no clue why they’re keeping it under wraps.

And, if we take a step back and look at it objectively, the fact that an actor with a receding hairline had to wear a wig in a medieval fantasy drama doesn’t really tell us much. All we know is he’s a character with longer hair than he could grow naturally between the time of his audition and filming. So he’s probably not the Shavepate, but we can’t really narrow it down much more beyond that, based on that clue alone.

122. Greg
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

If he’s already finished filming, then I doubt he’s Mace Tyrell or Coldhands. Him being Bloodraven would explain the secrecy, and I imagine he wouldn’t be in for more than one episode this season, but I doubt that’s who he is. He looks like he would be a decent Griff, but I think it’s too early for that. To me it’s more likely that he’s Merrett Frey or Aeron in a cameo.

123. MartinJF
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Hey, I hope he’s not Mace.
    I always pictured Mace looking more like Stellan Skarsgård, I think he would be an awesome actor for Mace. seems kinda unlikely though :P

124. Darquemode
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Varamyr Fourskins,

I don’t read that much into HBO not confirming anything…. yet.
    They may have a casting announcement at Comic-Con again so it would make sense for he to delay any official confirmation…

Plus, I think it may be HBO trying to control information going out more than HBO trying to actually “hide” this bit of casting news. Last year even after the Comic-Con announcement they did not officially verify a number of the roles we learned about from casting pages or Twitter etc…

I could easily be wrong though….
    Here’s hoping thee will be some casting news from the Comic-Con panel!

125. moophasa
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Last year I didn’t really pay much attention to the production news. How significant is it that Gatiss’ character is being kept secret? Did they do this with the new cast in previous seasons apart from Ramsey?

126. Darquemode
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

moophasa,

We learned of a number of actors that had been cast without learning the roles they had been cast for. Most of the sources for that news was from interviews, agency websites, Twitter and other social media. Not as many actors were announced without their roles also being announced by “official” media sources like James Hibberd that I recall.

127. mariamb18
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

James Hibbered just tweeted this brief interview with D&D:

128. Darquemode
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

mariamb18,

Makes me think the Red Viper vs the Mountain will be in Episode 8 since they said “the last 3 episodes…”

129. mariamb18
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Darquemode:
    mariamb18,

Yes, and that makes sense.

From Hibberd’s interview with D&D:

“The last 3 episodes, there’s so many scenes we’ve been waiting for so long to do. And it just gets more and more fun to write for these characters. After three years of doing it, we have that much more comfort to make everything uncomfortable for them. We’re very excited for it. Season five gives me nightmares, but [not season four].”

130. WildSeed
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Good point there.

131. Efrain
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I think its going to be Coldhands that’s why its so secretive.

132. Jon Snowington
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry but I can’t believe that nobody has guessed Jon Connington. He even says it has to do with hair. Well I think the fact that Connington and Young Griff have BLUE HAIR it seems pretty obvious.

133. Jambo
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Jon Snowington:
    I’m sorry but I can’t believe that nobody has guessed Jon Connington.He even says it has to do with hair. Well I think the fact that Connington and Young Griff have BLUE HAIR it seems pretty obvious.

Seems like it would be pretty early to introduce that story.

134. Eleanor
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

HalfWarg,

Completely agree. Can’t stand the Iron Islands.
    In terms of writing quality, though, the bit about the feast with all the captured women where they have to take their clothes off and a mother must help her weeping daughter unlace her dress is heartrending. I will never reread it.

135. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

mariamb18,

Not sure I like the showrunners saying season 5 gives them ‘nightmares’. By now you would think they would have devised a blueprint moving forward beyond season 4. Perhaps what gives them nightmares is the fan’s reactions to cutting/altering a lot of the material from the books? It’s great to see Dinklage say that he thought the scripts for season 4 are his favorite out of all 4 seasons.

136. Nicole
    Posted July 19, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Emilia owns this business, and, to top it off, her dragons will kill you with fire!

137. Chickenduck
    Posted July 20, 2013 at 2:00 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    mariamb18,

I would assume they have a blueprint right the way to the endgame, and just flesh out the details year by year. I’m guessing your guess is correct – the nightmare might be that they’re not sure how well their blueprint for S5 onwards will work.

Re what Peter said – Kristian Nairn also said he’s super excited about the scripts for S4 and thinks they’re better than the first three seasons (even if he does only say one word). So I’m looking forward to it.

Season 5 onwards will be the test of whether they can keep it going.

138. Sor Duncan, the Tall
    Posted July 20, 2013 at 5:01 am | Permalink

i have figured it out mark gatiss is gonna be that guy from meeren ( i dont remember the name) but danny ends up marying that dude!

139. Balerion
    Posted July 20, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Can’t wait for the Greyjoys.

Let’s bring on Euron and Victarion!!

140. Jon Snow
    Posted July 20, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

The fact that they want to keep is role secret for a while, could indicate that he is playing a character which is known, and which there has been some doubt about would appear in season 4.
    Everyone knows they will cast Mace for season 4, like the Red Viper, there would be no reason to keep this secret.

My guess is Euron or Vicatorian, since that would be shot in Northern Ireland, and you get the feeling he is using an Irish accent in the show.

141. GibsonExplorer
    Posted July 22, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Well, they’re trying to keep Gatiss’ role on the down low, he mentioned something about hair, and he’s already done filming for the year.

I know everyone’s saying Damphair, but I think If Tyrion arrives in Pentos in the finale and meets Illyrio, then I think Gatiss will be playing Jon Connington. I think they’ll probably have Jon and Aegon at Illyrio’s manse rather than on the road so that we can spend more time with them.

That’s my take on it

142. Sokka
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one that thinks he might be Doran Martell? Not only does he look the part better than any Greyjoy, he’d also be a more recurring character in the future, as befits such an actor…I thought the Red Viper might be introduced in his home as a taste of what’s to come, the same way the Blackfish was introduced at Riverrun and the Lannister twins at King’s Landing.