Game of Owns: Ghost Town
By Winter Is Coming on in Books, Podcast.

Episode 124 – Ghost Town

iTunes | Download | RSS

ACOK Chapter 12: Daenerys I
Monday strikes again as Game of Owns does bring yet another chapter from George R.R. Martin’s A Clash of Kings to bed. Daenerys Targaryen and her followers chase the comet into a vast, empty city, and her first words in this book are spoken.

Discussion Topics
Catching up Zack
She’s only 14
Closing the comet
Three lives, three dragons
Theories of the Seven
Which character would you play?
The Kingdom of Hodor
Why Jorah did it
Some special visitors
Setting up Daenerys

1. Arthur
    Posted July 22, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Stannis

2. Atomix
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 12:03 am | Permalink

I imagine the Father playing like a cross between a Pali and a Hunter. So I’d rock the Father as a main. Ranged DPS. (the father provides) No tank for me. But Maiden Off=Tank could be a solid secondary to the Smith for an alt. Zach the bess

3. Dogmayor
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Arthur,

STANNIS!

4. Chickenduck
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 2:03 am | Permalink

Khal Hodor FTW.

5. Arthur
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 2:22 am | Permalink

Dogmayor,

Stannis!!!

Where’s Kevin?

6. CC
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 6:27 am | Permalink

Daenerys for Queen. Stannis is boring.

7. Chickenduck
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 8:17 am | Permalink

One thing that jogged my memory:

Someone else (can’t remember who) was theorising that the House of the Undying vision on the show actually MIGHT be a legit vision of Dany’s future in the books (ie she doesn’t arrive in King’s Landing until the White Walkers have already laid waste to the entire kingdom).

It would be interesting to see the response from readers, if the show actually foreshadowed a future book plot point, that hadn’t been shown in the books yet.

And if it IS true, I’m trying to imagine the conversation with D&D and GRRM that led to it… Maybe “…well, the fans will hate our version of the HoTU when they see it the first time, but their brains will explode when they get to book 6 or 7 and that’s actually what happens…”

I didn’t like the HoTU when I saw it on the show (and to be honest, I’d love if D&D had included more of the prophecies overall in the show), but I’d be prepared to revise that opinion if that prediction turns out to be correct.

8. kevin
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Arthur,

STANNIS
    Arthur,

Stannis

9. Jake Umber
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Interesting thoughts. I myself was not satisfied with their version of the House of the Undying, but I do believe that they would not include that scene unnecessarily. It must have some meaning towards future events. The only 2 things that I think it could really be are that she arrives after winter and the walkers come, or that the snow=Jon Snow on the throne.

10. Boojam
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Chickenduck:
    One thing that jogged my memory:

And if it IS true, I’m trying to imagine the conversation with D&D and GRRM that led to it…Maybe “…well, the fans will hate our version of the HoTU when they see it the first time, but their brains will explode when they get to book 6 or 7 and that’s actually what happens…”

It was a scene.
    The Khal Drogo sequence was , seemingly, a temptation, if she remains at HoTU, she would be reunited with Drogo and her son , even if it’s only a simulacra, but she rejects it.
    (I am not sure what the warlocks intended then… we talking only the show, so no spoilers here.)
    What the throne room sequence was , boy, what you say seems the implication, even from just the evidence laid before us for the first three seasons.
    I mean it looks like another temptation, or is it a discouragement?
    Any Unsullied can read the book for a much much more complex engagement and try to figure out what GRRM was up too.
    An extraordinary amount of work and imagination would have had to be done to get that part of the CoK fit into ten episodes … I don’t think Dave, Dan and Bryan had time.

11. Chickenduck
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Boojam
    An extraordinary amount of work and imagination would have had to be done to getthat part of the CoK fit into ten episodes … I don’t think Dave, Dan and Bryan had time.

Yeah, I understand why they didn’t do it like the book (both lack of time and avoiding visual spoilers)… even though I didn’t really like the Drogo bit they replaced it with. Felt a bit soap-operatic to me.

I think it’s relatively clear now what all the book visions meant, even if some haven’t specifically come true yet.

Looking forward to the GOO episode with the HoTU!

12. outdoorcats
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Eric gives his own to Ned b/c he thinks Jorah left Bear Island for bringing his family into debt and his fear of Ned’s reputation alone…but just to clarify, I believe it’s because Jorah caught poachers on his land and sold them into slavery to slave traders from Essos. Slavery is outlawed in Westeros very strictly and I thought Jorah knew for sure that Ned heard about the poachers and was coming for his head.

Also Maege Mormont is the Old Bear’s sister, not Jorah (she’s his aunt). She and her daughter Dacey were running Bear Island until they went south with Robb.