Feast your eyes on Amazon’s exclusive Season 3 Blu-ray
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

Amazon Season 3 Blu-ray packaging

Now THAT is some alternate packaging! This baby is available exclusively through Amazon in the US, Germany, Italy, France, the UK, and Spain. Amazon describes it thusly:

In this limited edition sculpture, Daenerys’s dragon from the season 3 poster art takes center stage with its impressive wingspan and a highly detailed tail, which wraps around the core of the piece. Created in durable heavy weight material, the highly textured collectible is finished with a weathered patina evoking the feel of Westeros and a bygone era. The collectible also contains a hidden compartment which houses The Complete Third Season.

Amazon’s Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season Limited Edition will go on sale the same day as the standard editions: February 18, 2014. Head over to Amazon to pre-order it now and then be sure to clear some space on your shelf. Check that, a lot of space.

1. GerB40
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

That looks classy..

2. Alfador
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Hot Pie!

3. Derek Roy
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Stannis?

4. Daniel
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Shut up and take my money!

5. Clob
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I don’t usually go out of my way to buy special stuff like this but that might be too cool to pass up. They need to sell similar for seasons 1 & 2 now as well.

6. WheelofIceandFire
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I cant find this on the UK amazon website?

7. axia777
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Damn, I want that. That is the most awesome LE pack since the SWTOR pack I got.

8. Laurentius
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

This looks like it belongs next to garden gnomes and porcelain doplhins. I suppose it could be useful to fend off burglars or maybe to use as a tombstone for an especially beloved parrot.

9. Hollyoak
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I would never buy this. lol

It is cool, though.

10. Abyss
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

WheelofIceandFire,

It isn’t on the German one either. I am sure it will show up eventually.

11. Turncloak
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Tempting but no. I’m going to get the sigil art instead for House Targaryen. I count my Ned sitting in the throne cover as my House Stark cover and I have my House Greyjoy from Season 2. I’ll get House Lannister down the road and Stannis flaming heart as soon as it becomes available

12. tysnow
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Cool, but will stick with purchasing season 3 with the House Lannister cover, have the Stark (1st) and Targ (on my season 2 set). I want covers that have family portraits of each house. Imagine a cover with Tywin on the Iron Throne, Cersei sitting on the arm, Jaime standing guard and Tyrion on his lap.

13. Varamyr 4 skins
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Daniel,

Amazing lol

14. King DBC
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Holy shit! I’m so sad I can’t get in South Africa. Just look at it!!!

15. Sheldon Cooper
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I informed you thusly.

16. Patchyface
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Immediate reaction must have. But will have to mull this one over as I may want sigil cover

17. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Laurentius,

Yeah, but he’s not dead, he’s just pining for the fjords, is all.

18. The Kingshaver
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Wow. That is tacky.

It looks like a gravestone for all the cash you’ll have to spend to get it.

19. Currer Bell
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Very funny, all the Big Bang and Monty Python references. I was thinking that some people watch waaay to much TV but then realized that I picked up on both. Very sad.

20. gerasdf
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Well that sure will not fit in with one’s other DVD cases.

21. Al Swearengen
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

*Al throws his wallet at the screen

22. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Er no thanks. I don’t even know whether or not I’ll even buy Season 3 DVD at release. I’ve seen it twice and can YouTube my favourite bits tbh.

Now a super special edition of Winds of Winter when it’s released? Got time for that…

23. outdoorcats
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Doesn’t exactly lend itself to fitting snugly between two other seasons on a shelf.

You would need to buy this DVD set it’s own, like…dais. A marble one, preferably, which would have to be situated in the middle of an unused room shrouded in darkness except for one spotlight, directly above.

24. Sam
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

must have!

25. Laurentius
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Currer Bell,

Yeah, well you sort of reinforced it all with actually having the picture of a parrot. I don’t wanna push this idea too far but I thought it would be a great idea to buy a parrot, name it “Game of thrones the complete third season”, wait till it dies, and then bury it under that.

26. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Looks damn cool but probably won’t get it.

1) It’s not even on the UK site yet
    2) I bet it’ll be super expensive!

But will wait for more details to be sure.

27. Ser Endrew Tarth
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

As some above I don’t know where i would put this thing… and it is pretty borderline crappy. IDK I get a different impression every time I look at the pic. The parrot comments had me ROFLMAO.

I’m really curious as to how the “secret compartment” works… that could make or break it if it’s cool.

28. Easteros bunny
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

I remember when they released a DVD in a normal box!

29. Yeekim
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

What is this I don’t even…
    Who died?

30. Shorty Moe Big Head
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Had already pre-ordered and I’m happy I did… Looks awesome…

31. outdoorcats
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I guess it’s a grave for the Starks. :(

32. Coltaine777
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Just placed my order..had to get it from the USA amazon site..136$ cdn to get it including shipping, fellow Canucks, but not tax. Be prepared to add about 25$ in tax upon delivery in Canada.

33. Ali
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Yeekim,

king of the North

34. Foxster
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

35. Josla
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Mmm… No thanks. I dont have a place for this thing
    I will still go with my Stark cover from best buy

36. Zack
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Well, that settles the question of where to preorder, then.

37. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Hollyoak: I would never buy this. lolThe last special packaging DVD I bought was the Lord of the Rings when it was offered with the Argonath statues, You know, Aragorn’s kin.I guess it’s cool for people who like collectables. Me? It’d sit on my shelf collecting dust.It is cool, though.

The Argonath statues were simply incredible additions to an awesome package of LotR_FotR. Also, they are perfectly functional as bookends to the entire series. LotR_RotK had Minis Tirith, which served as a small storage space for valuables or keys. Decent thought went into the creation of those items. This Drogon tombstone is a bit ridiculous (and better suits the parrot and “who died” comments from before). The body looks too manlike as well. What are the 3 swords symbolizing? Three dragons, three houses, three heads of the dragon, three dead characters? (Of course it’s for the memoriam of S3) I bet the tail will be delicate/breakable as well.

Oh well, I wish it had similar shelf functionality that the Direwolf bookends have. They are cool. I’ll probably have to build another bookshelf for it. Maybe I could hang it on a wall somewhere? In any case, the local spiders will have fun with it.

38. Coltaine777
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:23 am | Permalink

Foxster: The set is available from the Canadian Amazon site. Ordered it today for $113.07 http://www.amazon.ca/Game-Thrones-Complete-Limited-Edition-Exclusive/dp/B00DY9GSAU/ref=zg_bs_dvd_48

39. Selmy
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Tacky.

40. Vicky
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 7:29 am | Permalink

wow cool, already pre-ordered

41. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Coltaine777: Thx for the heads up..I didn’t even bother checking the Canadian Amazon because it wasn’t mentioned in the post lol…you just saved me 50$…thx…

42. Jentario
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: If it follows the traditional Amazon Blue-ray/DVD pricing model, the package should be about 50-60% off its base price when it goes on sale. The Blueray of S3 is currently at $56 and I would expect it to be around $24-26 (maybe even $20) for a week or two after it is released. I bet this set will go on sale for $50-60 when it is released, maybe less.

This.

43. feyrband
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

i wonder if my ashes would fit in this for when i die

Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

The Minas Tirith that came with ROTK was the only collectible piece I bought (although I kind of wish I’d bought the Argonath too). Minas Tirith is one of my favorite set pieces from the trilogy, and the detail on the miniature is unbelievable. I even ordered the Minas Morgul companion piece online, to go with it.

45. NimbusWarrior7
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

It is beautiful! I want it :)

46. GeekFurious
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

The series box set will be a wolf eating the remains of a dragon.

47. Violentos
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

48. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted August 22, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Violentos: Hodor’s Bastard, Wait… what? Are you saying that pre order prices are super high but once they’ve been released. the price goes down drastically for a time? I’ve never seen this happen before. In fact, you can pre order Season 3 now for $50 but Season’s 1 and 2 are currently selling for $64 and $60 respectively. Seems like they go UP in price as time goes on.

Yes…older stuff is usually priced closer to its initial price point. But when a series/show is released on DVD/Blueray, all the merchants are competing so the price gets cut for a period of time (1-3 weeks) to allow for maximum product flow. Lower profit margins for each merchant but they gamble that quantity sold will make up the difference.

You’ve never seen this before? Just watch Amazon/BestBuy every Tuesday and see the latest CD/DVD releases tumble in price for the week. Amazon is cool in that it will sell it to you at the sale price and not the pre-order price.

[And yes...I do own Amazon stock]

49. Aphrodite
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I think it looks awesome. I wonder how large it is? Assuming it is made of resin