Sightings Round-up; another young actress cast for S4
By Ours is the Fury on in Casting, Rumors, Speculation.

Location sightings in Northern Ireland are coming in steadily now, and Dubrovnik filming is just around the corner. Here’s your round-up of the week’s highlights in filming reports and rumors.

• Child actress Trixiebelle Harrowell will be playing a small role in season four. On August 5th, the mother of the young performer tweeted a photo of her daughter in a trailer with the role “Farmer’s Daughter” clearly marked on the door behind her. On August 9th, this photo was tweeted showing Harrowell standing by what appears to be Arya in her familiar costume. The Mournes mountains are in Northern Ireland, and Tollymore Forest Park, a regular shooting site for the show, is located in its foothills. Trixiebelle is represented by Alphabet Kidz.
  • TrixiebelleA fan spotted production on Tuesday while driving between Kilkeel and Hilltown in County Down. It looks like Northern Ireland location filming has really kicked into high gear now.
  • Sibel Kekilli posted a photo of costumed extras on Facebook, on Thursday. The large crowd of male extras are all dressed in the style of King’s Landing nobility. There were only men in the photo, though it’s possible the female extras were being costumed and made up separately while they waited. A group of extras this sizable suggests a significant event for season four.
  • Several photos surfaced this week of cast members outside Titanic Studios in costume, and people passing by snapped a few pics. Roger Ashton-Griffiths (Mace Tyrell) and Conleth Hill (Varys) can be seen in the photos, and the identities of several of the other people in the pictures are still being speculated on. Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell) appears to be in the back of the second photo. (1) (2) (3)
  • Sources say that stuntmen have been rehearsing and getting ready to film another fight at Craster’s Keep. Last season we saw Lord Commander Mormont die there and Samwell escape, leaving behind Dolorous Edd and Grenn. Will we finally see what happened to the remaining Night’s Watchmen?
  • Extras NI, the agency Game of Thrones uses to book extras and stand-ins, has posted on their Facebook seeking someone with a very distinct look: a male 6’10″ and over, for a show in Northern Ireland. The requirements for the featured extra/stand-in are:

The dates for this role are 2nd-6th September, and 12th-20th October.
You must have a good level of athleticism & be willing to attend stunt training.
You must be happy to have your hair CUT or DYED if required.

Given the size and stunt-training mentioned, this would most likely be only a stand-in or double for Gregor Clegane, or a featured extra to play a giant in the northern storyline. Some exterior scenes for the Mountain might be filmed in Dubrovnik this year, but primary shooting is still done in Northern Ireland. A giant would presumably do all their filming in the Belfast area.

Ours is the Fury: It’s been a busy week. It seems like half the cast is in Belfast lately, according to Twitter and the various sightings in local pubs.

1. Marty
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Hodor.

2. Amanda M
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Thank the Gods for all these sightings/updates. I go totally crazy without any GoT updates, so even the tiniest things get me excited! Love the pictures where you can see Mace. Obviously not the best pictures, but he looks good from what I can see! Bring on season 4 :D

3. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Hm well I guess all these kids are probably the group that Gendry ends up with later on.

4. Michel
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Curious about that new fight at Craster’s. A fight with Green/Edd with Karl, Rast and the others where they run back for Castle Black or a encounter of Rast & Co with Bran?

5. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

its mentioned in the books that after the RW Arya and the Hound spend quite a lot of time in a village which i think is just inside the vale, which would explain the filming at the foot of the Mourne Mountains, the hound is employed doing something which i cant remember over there for a while, it only gets a page or two of mention and is fairly forgettable but it would take up quite a lot of arya’s time in of storm of swords, maybe the show could be including this as part of the plotline, would explain the inclusion of the farmers girl

6. Michel
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

NomadicDirewolf,

Wouldn’t that be “boring”? I think for both only tv-viewers and book readers it would be a little boring for Arya stay like 4 episodes in a village doing nothing

7. WheelofIceandFire
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

NomadicDirewolf,

They are probably going to add scenes for Arya and the Hound for Season 4 anyway (I hope) so it makes sense to expand on their time in the Vale (or wherever this is)

8. BeRuss4
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Regarding the photos of the extras, particularly the first one…is that Kevan in the Lannister armour and Qyburn in the black robe? Makes sense.

9. Ivan
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

They’ll probaby expand Arya’s Vale storyline, maybe even make her almost meet Sansa as she goes to the Eyrie, since the show hasn’t established the Blood Gate as the only entrance to the Vale from the west. That would be kind of cool and tragic for both Arya and Sansa.

10. Ghost
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I like that theres a Stark Direwolf banner above the trailers.

11. Selmy
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

BeRuss4,

Yeah that makes sense. Will be cool seeing the Small council fill out for season 4.

Tywin, Tyrion, Varys, Cersei, Oberyn, Mace… maybe Joffrey will even show up for one!

12. Michel
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Will Dianna Rigg return for Season 4?

I’m also very curious if the BwB will apear next year

13. zambi76
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Hm, not sure if what appears to be Finn Jones’s Loras actually is him. I find it rather strange that Mace is decked out in Tyrell colors (green and gold) and Loras would be all in black (?) at the purple wedding I presume.

14. Deekan
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Does anyone else feel like BBC/Starz’s The White Queen is blatantly trying to ride in GoT wake? Even one of their ads says “Who will ascend to the THRONE?” with throne all highlighted and crap.

15. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

zambi76,

The Tyrells favor blues as well. See: Margaery’s dresses, Queen of thorns head thing, Loras when talking to Sansa about their marriage, their servants. It could be a dark blue.

In fact, that figure that appears to be Loras has the same hair and even appears to be wearing something similar to what was worn in their conversation about their wedding. Just a slightly different shirt. Note the gold circle/clasp things going down the front of his shirt or vest or whatever that is (just barely visible in the set picture), present in both.

16. Alvis
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

zambi76,
    To me it looks more like a dark blue…

17. zambi76
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Yeah, the overcoat is allright, it’s just the shirt that seems disturbingly dark to me. But well, the shots are not very clear anyways, and maybe Loras finally went into mourning Renly. :P

18. Onion Knight
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

A fight scene at Craster’s Keep? Could it be Coldhands killing the Night’s Watch mutineers?

19. Alex Dubrovsky
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Is it possible to get this close to the Titanic studios to take pictures, right near the fence and the security won’t tell you to get lost? I was in Belfast last September and I remember seeing quite a few “no photography” signs in that area.

20. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

zambi76,

It looks like Loras is in dark green, to me.

21. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Any sightings of NCW? I’m curious about if he’s staying in KL all season.

22. Darquemode
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

IF you look at the Titanic Studios pic #1 it looks like NCW (in his KingsGuard armor) might be on the far left hand side behind the crew. That same person is there with a woman in a red dress on each of the 3 photos, but it is very hard to tell who it is with the LQ photos at such distance.

23. Arthur
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Just watched Starz “The White Queen”…

Not really impressed so far, seems like a low budget and unexciting wannabe GoT.

However I do realize sometimes a good new series takes 3-4 episodes to grow on you and become interesting. So ill give it another go next week…

24. Darquemode
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I’ve been watching it on BBC for weeks now. I like it quite a bit and do not see any real comparisons to GOT honestly. It’s far more historical drama like The Tudors than fantasy drama like GOT.

I like the concentration on the women behind the men, fresh and something not seen in most period pieces. I’m not sure I would call it low budget either. Not compared to many BBC productions. I will agree it is more low budget than GoT, but every other show on TV is afterall. XD

ETA:
    I have really enjoyed the performances of Amanda Hale and Janet McTeer to name two, and of course James Frain is always fun! Although I think it is a few steps below GoT in the acting department overall…..

25. Patchy Face
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I am so rooting for Jack G to get lots of screen time this season! Has he been spotted at all in Belfast?

26. The Rabbit
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the nice recap of recent events on the production.

I am trying to find out if this morning heavy storm did some damage on the sets in Dubrovnik.

27. Arthur
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

You know…

All these medieval type series, including GoT, focus primarily on Kings, Lords, Knights and stuff like that… Which is representative of 1% of the population….

When I think about it, the reason why HBO’s Rome was so fun to watch, IMO, is because half of the story focused on the commoners, characters like Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pulo.

To be honest watching storylines about royalty is fine but when watching Rome I definitely enjoyed the common soldier storylines better…

Why can’t they make a serious about a common folk, peasant family trying to survive in rough medieval times. Losing brothers, fathers, sons to war. Having to live in a diseased filled cutthroat slum of medieval Europe or Ancient Rome…

Now that would be awesome…

All this royal family crap is getting a little played out. Screw the 1% living in their palaces… I want a real drama about what life was like for the common folk…

Just saying…..

28. Arthur
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

It was good…

I liked the verbal duels between the women. I didn’t like Vikings either until after episode 3.

I will keep watching it. Could be a winner, I love historical time period pieces like Tutors and Borgias so I bet ill end up loving this one…

29. Lady of Highgarden
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I wouldn’t bother. The White Queen is the worst TV show I’ve seen in 10 years. I loved The Tudors and The Borgias, which were also inaccurate, so I’d be willing to ignore the historical inaccuracies if it was a good show. But the writing/dialogue is terrible. It’s like they think the audience is stupid and will forget who the characters are, so the characters constantly say things like “Henry Tudor, Margaret Beaufort’s son, who is living with Jasper Tudor, his uncle” in conversation, instead of just saying “Henry Tudor” like a normal person. The main characters (especially the white queen and her kingly husband) are not likeable and really it is hard to care about any of them because each episode cowers years, going from one historical event to the next, with no time spent on character development. The characters, who were such complex people in history, are pretty two dimensional and flat. It’s robbing the dead, really. The acting is nothing special either. Some actors are great, some are good, but others are horrible. There’s also some supernatural witchy nonsense, but it just makes me laugh at how ridiculous it is. A show based on actual history, that is way less believable than game of thrones.

And I’ve just written a rant on a show that has nothing to do with Game of Thrones on a game of thrones fan site. I just needed to get that off my chest, okay.

Back to topic, I’m really happy that it looks like they’re getting an impressive guy to play the mountain and I still want to know who that guy I thought was Kevan is. Have they recast him and how do we find out?

30. Arthur
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Lady of Highgarden,

Thanks for the input! I too was not at all into the characters… But ill still give it a few more episodes and watch them when I’m bored…

It’s okay to talk about other series on these sites I do all the time… It’s enlightening to hear other people’s opinions on different series. And after all it does relate to GoT because its a medieval time period piece and people on this site are probably drawn to this kind of stuff, same as we are…

31. Walter Harrow
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

So is Maisie Williams actually in Ireland at the moment? Because she keeps posting videos on Twitter that makes it look like she is at home.

32. Lady of Highgarden
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

That’s good to hear! And the opening scene of ep 1 did look a bit like the opening scene of GOT, don’t you think? So there’s some connection.

And I probably shouldn’t have said “I wouldn’t bother”, seeing how I still watch it sometimes, if only because I like history, but the first episode was actually quite good compared to most of the rest imo, so what I meant was don’t get your hopes up. I did and they were crushed. It’s still something to watch if there’s nothing better to do, but it’s not great.

33. Lady of Highgarden
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Walter Harrow,

I saw one on Tumblr where she said “just got home, my flowers have died” or something like that, so she was home then. But that may have just been in between filming.

34. Arthur
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Lady of Highgarden,

Hey! If you haven’t already and your sitting there bored with the remote… Watch Vikings!

It’s also a historical piece about an actual Viking king that really existed named Ragnar.

It’s a slow burn at first but once you get to episode 4 it’s awesome because, unlike GoT it scales things down and focuses on a group of Viking friends and the raids they go on…

Even women warriors go as “Shield Maidens”.

The battles are small and personal but pretty intense. And the actor who plays Ragnar is fascinating to watch and IMO has that persona that draws you in that you need the lead character to have in order for it to work for a series like this…

Okay, babble done… Lol

35. Lady of Highgarden
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

That’s actually on my list :)
    I’ll get to it as soon as I’ve done with Boardwalk Empire (yes, I only just started, shocking, I know). I’ve heard good things about Ragnar and Lagertha. From what I understand it’s not quite GOT, but easily in league with Tudors and Borgias. Right?

36. Turncloak
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Onion Knight,

Seems like it

37. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Well Maisie could have gone home for the weekend, or just finished recently. One of those pictures was only just put up yesterday. I don’t think most people wait very long to tweet pictures they take.

38. Darquemode
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I wouldn’t say it is great TV, but yeah.. I would keep watching. If for nothing else to see ex-Thrones cast members or possible future Thrones cast members! XD

I do find some of it frustratingly bad or cliche, but I enjoy the more female-centric aspect of the show. I will admit though at times it does make GoT look action-packed in comparison! XD

39. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Walter Harrow,
    Maisie just posted a video today for the first time in a week, actually, so it’s not hard to believe she was filming for the last few days and then went home yesterday or this morning.

40. Arthur
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Lady of Highgarden,

Surprisingly it is IMO better quality then Tudors or Bargias but not epic like GoT.

This is just my opinion…

I think Vikings is awesome if you take it for what it is. It is almost as visually beautiful as GoT but it lacks the complexity.

They make up for the lack of complexity and overlaying plots by totally building depth in the main characters.

Again, it’s no GoT (what on TV can even compare) and it isn’t a show with deep plot twists. But the lead characters are solid and the acting is good and quality and production value is very high.

Its kind of like if GoT mated with Braveheart, Vikings would be the offspring.

I personally love the show and this Spring watching GoT season 3, then Vikings was the most exciting 3 hours of television I ever had…

Next year season 4 GoT followed by season 2 Vikings will be amazing…

41. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t mind a movie or show about peasant villagers during the black death. Whenever a story takes place during that time, there always seems to be witches involved. I’d like to see a very historically accurate non-supernatural black death story. It would be horrifying and sad. Also gross.

42. Walter Harrow
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Thanks for the reply :)

But is that usually what happens with the actors when they are filming? Do they return home for a few days or stay in the country at a hotel or something? And how long do they usually shoot in Northern Ireland? She surely cant be finished filming everything yet

43. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Some cast photos from a bar night in Belfast have turned up that I’ve posted onto the WiC Tumblr.

In this photo, does anyone recognize the man next to Sibel in back? I don’t know if he’s someone from behind the scenes or another actor. Pedro Pascal & Roger Ashton-Griffiths are there as well.

Walter Harrow,

Filming is in N. Ireland for a few months so not everyone stays there the whole time. I think some like Dinklage stay in an apartment but most of the cast just get hotels and stay for a few days or a week at a time and go up to Belfast a few times. I would think that would be especially true for the young ones like Maisie. I suspect she isn’t done, no.

44. Lady of Highgarden
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    Lady of Highgarden,

Its kind of like if GoT mated with Braveheart, Vikings would be the offspring.

Lol! That’s a colourful description. I’ll definitely give this show a chance :)

EDIT: Loras’s face on that picture with Lena! And the guy next to Shae does look familiar, but I can’t place him.

45. WildSeed
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

How precious she is…. the little actress appears to be hanging on to Arya Stark.

46. Darquemode
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Seems like in most of the recent photos of Pedro Pascal I’ve seen he has a thin beard and mustache. Looks a bit odd to me, but do you think they are going with that as part of the Red Viper’s look?

47. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

That picture with the actors for Varys, Shae, and Oberyn makes me really want to say that that guy behind the Lannister is in fact the Red Viper. Dunno why I thought the guy drinking something off to the left was him…lol

48. loco73
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Did also anyone notice on Sibel’s Facebook pics gallery that beside the picture of the extras she also posted a pic of the cover page of her script for Season Four? It is clearly titled episode 401, confidential and some other stuff at the bottom.

I’ve also checked some of the to the rest of the pictures and there are some from GoT, especially the one with Peter Dinklage and George RR Martin! There is also a sweet picture of Sibel when she was a wee lass…

49. sunspear
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I watched Vikings except for episode 3. It was a pretty good show, and the battles were great, but I couldn’t call it a great drama. The show just has a problem with making every character other than Ragnar an incompetent idiot, and it just got annoying after a while.

50. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

Yes. He always has that mustache etc. lately. He has to be keeping it for the Red Viper.

51. dragonreborn
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

sibel kekilli’s link is broken. couldn’t see it :(

52. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

dragonreborn,

It’s still working for me. Maybe you need to be logged into Facebook or something? Don’t know what to tell you, the picture and link are still working.

53. Dreamwine
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

The little girl….Weasel?

54. Mormegil
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Dreamwine:
    The little girl….Weasel?

More likely the little girl who follows Arya around with a Doll she says is a soldier. Arya gets fed up, grabs the Doll and rips out it’s insides claiming it looks like a real soldier now.

55. Ser Tahu
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

My guessess:

For the girl: I was going to guess someone in Rickon’s storyline until I looked at the photo and noticed her clearly standing next to Maisie Williams :P. Since this is in NI and not Iceland I think we can rule the Vale out, which leaves only the first and last few episodes for her to appear. As to who she is specifically, I have no clue.

For all of the King’s Landing stuff: I only have one question; HAS ANYONE SEEN KEVAN LANNISTER (or Lancel, for that matter)? I can see them putting off Lancel for another season as I think viewers will still remember him, but Kevan? No. They need to bring him back this season and make give him some scenes so that people actually known him in season 5 when his role expands.

For Craster’s Keep: My theory for a while has been that Bran and co will go to Craster’s Keep only to be attacked, but will then be saved by Coldhands. I can see two obvious possibilities: 1) They take refuge in Craster’s Keep, which is now abandoned, only to be attacked by wights (the mutineers) and then saved by Coldhands, in a similar scene to Sam being saved in the books. or 2) They try and enter Craster’s Keep only to find the mutineers still alive and occupying it. The mutineers attack and Coldhands saves them. Either way the result is the same.

As to which option they will choose, I think it depends on how far they plan to take Bran’s storyline this season. If they are to reach the cave by the end of the season then I think they will go for option 2 so that they aren’t ambushed by wights twice in one season and it doesn’t feel as repetitive. If they don’t reach the cave until season 5, however, I think they will go with option 1 so as to keep the wights and White Walkers relevant in the show.

56. Chickenduck
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    My guessess:

A lot of us have suggested that the guy in the Lannister armour in those blurry shots is Kevan. Not sure though. I keep changing my mind.

No sightings of Lancel – last I heard he was shooting a different project in Malaysia a few weeks ago.

Might still need Gregor body doubles for the duel, even if Whyte is doing it. Depends how they’re shooting it.

57. Endless Giraffe
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

I really hope they keep that scene.

58. GeekFurious
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Just 8 months to go!

59. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

Marc Ruffalo? If not it’s his doppelganger.

60. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu: And finally, for the large extra: I would have assumed that they would still have Ian Whyte around for both Gregor and the giants?

He can’t do it all. The Gregor scenes are going to take a few days of shooting, at least. They always need stand-ins for lighting, blocking, stunts, etc. No matter how good Whyte is, he just can’t do all that stuff AND be all the giants.
    Ross Mullan is in this season too but we don’t know what he’s doing. Maybe he’s playing giants? Who knows.
    With the battle at Castle Black, there will likely be more giants and more need for the tall actors/featured extras.

61. Ser Tahu
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Fair point. I never really considered the need for several giants this season.

62. cantuse
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

I’m onboard with the “Mountain Understudy” theory. It stands to reason that in order to properly light, block and compose a sequence you’d need a stand-in/stuntman who can reasonably approximate his dimensions. Since the actors are busy with other things (makeup, script reads, etc), the stand-ins are vital so the cinematographers can get the results they way.

And I totally think its Kevan Lannister. First thing I saw when I looked at it.

63. Oberyn Wan Kenobi
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Doesn’t like look kevans face to me. Unless it’s a recast. In the third picture, to me that does look like pascal. I always pictured the red viper with longer hair. I hope they give him some, but it doesn’t look that way in the picture. I have no doubt he will be good for the role however!

64. Hexonx
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

I had to laugh at that casting notice:

You must be happy to have your hair CUT or DYED if required.

“Willing to have” I can see but do you really have to be happy about it?

65. Oberyn Wan Kenobi
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Hexonx,

Haha I thought the same thing

66. Alex also
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 12:11 am | Permalink

I hope the tall chap is yet another go at Gregor. The current one just doesn’t fit the job specs. The first one was excellent. If they can’t get him back they should have another shot at casting. He’s got a lot of story to come, after all. He needs to be very big and scary.

67. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Alex also,

It’s not. They have a Gregor. This is an agency for extras and stand-ins.

68. Rfresa
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Arthur:

69. Ashley
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 1:15 am | Permalink

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned that jack gleeson is in the one photo with mace in loras. There is clearly a guy is somewhat short dressed in all goldish colors! Also the guy behind Sibel isn’t Pedro it is somebody else entirely his hair is fuller than Pedro,he looks familar so i’d say maybe an actor or the bastard of godsgrace or just another Dornish man or a Mark Ruffalo doppleganger.

70. Felt Pelt
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 2:19 am | Permalink

Rfresa: I agree. Almost everyone we see in POV is from one of the great houses. Varys and Littlefinger have gained power from humble beginnings, which makes them much more interesting to me. It’s no accident that readers and viewers become so attached to Hodor, Hot Pie, and Bronn; they represent the common folk. Probably they’ll all turn out to have noble blood somehow though!

And Arya is arguably roleplaying her way through the common folk. But this is a great point: the focus on royals and houses does make us sympathize with people we probably wouldn’t be if we were in a medieval time period.

At least the Wildlings and Brotherhood without Banners have organization and political goals as opposed to being victims with dirt on their faces. (But still we see them from the viewpoints of royals who unsuccessfully integrate into their groups.) And there’s a bit of “fuck the rich” in Locke/Vargo Hoat’s “Your daddy ain’t here” speech.

71. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Ashley,

Nobody said the guy behind her is Pedro. Ours is the Fury said Pedro is also at whatever outing they were on. And people have said that Jack Gleeson is in that picture, just not on this post. Not really worth talking about when there are others who are less clear to see.

72. jerk
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 4:17 am | Permalink

white northern Africans are Africans too

73. Lord of Castamere
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 4:55 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

No Offense , Our is the Fury , but … are we looking at the same Picture ?

From Right to Left there are :

Sibel ( Shae ) , UNKNOWN GUY , Finn ( Loras ) , Lena ( Cersei ) , David Benioff and Roger ( Mace Tyrell ) !

That UNKNOWN is not Pedro Pascal !

My best Guess is ( and it is a WILD Guess ) that they have finally cast Lothor Brune !

This is very close to how I have pictured him !

Let me know what You think !

74. Lord of Castamere
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 5:04 am | Permalink
  75. boze
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 5:46 am | Permalink

Lord of Castamere,

She never said that guy behind Sibel was Pedro Pascal:

“does anyone recognize the man next to Sibel in back? I don’t know if he’s someone from behind the scenes or another actor. ”

She said that Pedro was there as well because of the pic you posted in your last comment. That’s all.

76. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 6:06 am | Permalink

boze,

Exactly. The reading comprehension level of some people…>.>

77. Kalam
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 6:56 am | Permalink

How much do they get filmed in a week (or 5 days)? That young girl was only in Belfast from the 3rd to the 9th/10th so im just wondering if she only has one scene with Maisie (who was also only there for a week before returning home) or if they filmed a couple of scenes together?

78. Chickenduck
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Rfresa: I agree. Almost everyone we see in POV is from one of the great houses.

Davos.

Though besides that, your point stands, except for occasional ones from e.g. Mel, Areo etc.

79. Chickenduck
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Kalam:

Depends what you’re shooting. A complicated scene might take months. Outdoor shoots take longer than indoor. Anything with large crowds or animals generally takes a while. A decent fight scene might take ages – as you generally need a lot of takes to get it right, and generally fight scenes have a huge number of quick edits to keep the intensity going, which means you need to shoot from heaps of different angles etc etc.

Then at the other end of the spectrum you have two-hander talking head scenes that are relatively quick (which is why you get filler scenes of Varys and Littlefinger standing around talking to bulk out S1 episodes that ran short).

80. Lord of Castamere
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 7:29 am | Permalink

Sorry everybody , my bad !

I had just woken up !

I hope I have not offended anybody !

P . S . What you have written was insult – ish !

81. Adam Whitehead
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 9:05 am | Permalink

THE WHITE QUEEN is an oddball series. Some of the actors are fine (Max Irons is clearly only getting work due to his family connections, though), but the dialogue is ropey and they try to cram too much into each episode and don’t do a good job of explaining WTF is going on. It feels like the drama bits from a docu-drama about the Wars of the Roses.

That said, it does improve as it goes along. Episodes 6-7 are probably the highlight because they take place inbetween the fighting and focus on politicking (mostly in London) in a small period of time with the impacts resulting from that. When the show calms down a bit like that it becomes a lot more interesting. They really should have taken 2 seasons to tell the story; 10 episodes for over 20 years of history is just not enough.

If you’re expecting to see any major battles though, prepare for disappointment.

82. Adam Whitehead
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 9:12 am | Permalink

News:

Tobias Menzies (Edmure Tully) has been cast in dual roles in Ron Moore’s adaptation of Diana Gabaldon’s OUTLANDER books. Menzies will be playing both Frank Randall, the husband of lead character Claire Randall, and also his violent 18th Century ancestor ‘Black’ Jack Randall.

OUTLANDER is filming over this autumn for transmission on Starz in 2014.

Confirmation I think that Edmure will only now be appearing in brief appearances at best, much like the books.

83. Bean
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Hodor.

http://www.teefury.com/ (link only relevant Sat Aug 11)

84. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Lord of Castamere,
    Yes, Pedro isn’t in that picture. He’s the one who took that picture. He is in other photos from that instagram account- it’s his account. You can see the pics of Pedro there and on the WiC tumblr also.

And like others pointed out, I was wondering if anyone recognized the man next to Sibel. He’s good looking enough to be an actor, but I don’t know if he is one. He could just be a friend of theirs or someone they work with. It would be funny if he were not an actor at all because he’s certainly hot enough to be one.

85. Selmy
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Maybe he’s like David Benioff – someone far too good looking to have any business not being an actor.

86. Kyrion
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Bean,

I cant help[ but think the models looking like Jaime and Arya is some subliminal messaging at work…

87. Alex Dubrovsky
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Max Irons was in The Host, another one of Stephenie Meyer’s adaptations which I’ve watched expecting unintentional hilarity of Twilight’s level, but found it incredibly boring. He was pretty bad there too (but so was everyone).

The White Queen is pretty good when it doesn’t imply that Elizabeth Woodwille and her mother used magic and when Margaret Beaufort is not on screen. I’m not sure if it’s the writing or the acting, but she is one of the most annoying characters I’ve ever seen on TV.

88. Joshua Atreides
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Regarding Pedro as the RV. I watched the Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe movie last night and even by BN’s cheesy standards it was deplorable. Pedro was fine in his role, nothing really stood out to be honest but nothing to rule him out either. I like his demeanour though, and he has an intensity that can be tapped further I think. He will definitely be able to portray Oberyn’s charm and swagger. I’m on board. We will know more when his Homeland arc begins.

89. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

The guy who appears to be Loras may not be him. It seems like he has been busy filming something else for the past four weeks. I suppose it’s possible he was just doing two things at once, though. The account for the movie RT something that said “24 nights of shooting,” so maybe he’s just been getting very little sleep for the past four weeks haha

90. Lord of Castamere
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I am sorry I have not understood right away ! ;) :)

Also , I am looking for that UNKNOWN GUY …

I am sure I have already seen him somewhere !

As soon as I find out something , I will post !

91. bearpitticketmaster
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere,

Whether or not Finn is in that picture, I cannot say. But if you go to the WIC Tumblr page you can see he is definitely in Belfast and hanging out at the bars with others in the cast.

92. Turncloak
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

“Now it begins”

“No”. Walter White said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends”.

93. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

bearpitticketmaster,

I know, I saw the pictures. I was saying that since he appears to be in that picture and is also out drinking with them, possible explanations are that either it wasn’t him on set or he was doing two things at once.

94. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere,
    Finn Jones would not be hanging out in Belfast with castmates unless he was filming. He could easily be doing two projects at once. Many of the actors do.

95. Turncloak
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

So i just started reading the 1 and 2 star amazon reviews of a storm of swords (nothing better to do).

It is completely hilarious. Like 100 Larry Williams’ making reviews x]. Some people don’t have the stomach for this series which is understandable.

96. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Don’t even get me started on Larry…”boooo the rains of castamere wasn’t that great because I expected Robb to die in a lame cliche way and it was spoiled for me.” “none of the storylines are going the way I thought they would so the show isn’t interesting to me anymore.” What a fool.

97. Turncloak
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere:
    Turncloak,

What’s even more hilarious is that he made a rant video about a manga series he quit reading because he found it too predictable and there weren’t any major character deaths! Oh the irony!!!

98. Arthur
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

GoT is fine and just like every other medieval or ancient series (except Rome) the main focus is on the Royal Houses and the people directly in service of them. That’s fine and seems to be the winning TV formula…

All I’m saying is I think it would be a lot more interesting following the hardships of a common, peasant like family that lives in the slums…

Rome was awesome because it showed how these peasant workers all were part of a “trade guild”, be it butcher, carpenter or whatever and you paid a fee to your guild but in return your guild offered you and your family protection from the many thugs that lived in the slums. However even the thugs were organized in their own gangs so shit would get hectic…

Back in those times, if you weren’t the 1%, life was freaking rough! You could go to sleep and wake up getting your throat cut. People had no time thinking of plots because everyday was a struggle to survive.

I would just love to see a medieval or some kind of ancient time period piece about what the common folks life’s were like instead of these cookie cutter, all the same, focus on the royal family, dramas…

99. Arthur
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Who is cast as Claire?

100. Arthur
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

OMG, that actor plays a great whimpy character and in my mind is typecast as such, via Brutus in Rome…

He got a co-star role as a hero in Outlander? Lol, definitely not watching that series now…

101. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

What pisses me off about Larry Williams is that HBO actually sent him a signed autograph poster after his lament about Eddard Stark’s death and now he’s like “fuck you HBO/GRRM your story isn’t going the direction I want it to go”. Ungrateful jerk.

102. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

If you thought Menzies’ Brutus was a wimpy character, you didn’t watch the show properly. He wasn’t a warrior by any means, but he was a man of honour. He was slight figure compared to brash heavyweights like surrogate father Caesar or Mark Antony and was completely domineered by his mother but” Wimpy” is hardly the word I would use.

103. Arthur
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I watched the show correctly. Trust me, he was a whimpy intellectual that fell victim to his mothers superior wit and scheming. He was always crying like a little bitch instead of standing up to his morher. If he was truly a man of honor he would have fell on his sword when Pompey lost to Ceasar.

Please don’t try to tell me I didn’t watch a show properly.

Nonetheless, IMO and in my mind when ever I see that actors face I think of a highborn intellectual little bitch that lacks spine and honor.

104. Arthur
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Don’t get me wrong he is a great actor and does awesome in roles where he is playing a weak and incompadent character…

But being a co-lead in a hero type role isn’t something I can ever imagine him doing…

That’s another thing that HBO really does well, casting… They really research their actors and match them up playing the perfect character role for them…

Starz on the other hand obviously need to have some lessons in this regard.

105. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Didn’t mean to be harsh there, but you think Brutus should have fallen on his sword? Brutus killed Caesar because he was a tyrant, because he believed in the Republic of his ancestors and Caesar had gone power mad. Yes Caesar was a great general and a brilliant statesman and I think he did have Rome’s best interest at heart, but that interest became corrupted into tyranny by his growing megalomania. Caesar had it coming.

106. GeekFurious
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Hexonx: eed for several giants this season.

Yes. You MUST be happy. That’s a requirement.

107. Pepi
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I’ve no idea who the guy next to Sibel is. I tried to research it. Since there’s not much to work with, I tackled the problem by first researching the options of free facial recognition software, available on the interwebz. Needles to say, I wasn’t very successful (due to the quality of both; the picture and free software). So ye … I remained at square 1. For all I know the guy could just be the waiter. Or a passer by. Or a privilidged extra (or crew member). Or Euron. :P

108. Arthur
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Looks like we just have a difference of opinion. I respect your idea of Brutus but my impression is very different.

To me, in HBO’s Rome, Brutus was manipulated by his mother who was hell bound at getting revenge for how Ceasar treated her. She wasn’t thinking of country or anything like that, she was seeking purely personal revenge…

Brutus was weak and whimpy in the sense that he knew this fact but still stood silent while his mother and others were making political moves to assassinate Ceasar. (In a very cowardly way). He didn’t have the balls to stand up for what was right and he was even the last person to stab Ceasar, (again what a coward).

The actor played the role superbly. He is a great actor no doubt but in my mind he is the face of a whimpy coward and incompadent highborn. I will always see him as a whimpy character.

Maybe it’s just my narrow-mindedness and how I hated his character for killing Ceasar (HBO’s Rome Ceasar not historical Ceasar).
    And that’s a testament to his acting…

But again, in my mind he is typecast as a whimpy, easily bullied and easy to manipulate character. Even HBO picked up on this and cast him as an incompetent character, dude can’t even shoot a fire arrow…

Starz cast him as a co-lead hero type character? Don’t they know his past roles? I’m sure there are many like me that look at him and still see Brutus. I just think Starz made an awful mistake…

109. Yago
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Everyone get ready to watch the Breaking bad season 5.2 premiere!

110. Chickenduck
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I agree… I can’t think of anything that focuses on “smallfolk” in the middle ages. I wonder if it’s a side effect of most of the recorded history of real-world medieval period being written by or about the nobility? Like, whether stories of the peasantry are just missing from our cultural memory.

Maybe next time script frenzy comes around you should get onto it… might be your million dollar idea!

111. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

No worries man, again if I was harsh it was not my intention. I will point out there are several moments near the end of season 1 of Rome where you realize “yeah Caesar really is corrupt.” Not in a shady kind of way but in the sense where he can justify anything he wants. IE: his using Erastes Fulmen to have Pullo kill someone in his way. The same tactics that Pompey used in the beginning of the season with Milo (the bald guy that was in control of the pro-Pompeian gangs).

I always give any actor the benefit of the doubt, especially if its an adaptation of something I really like but I can see why your put off by the actor in the role.

112. Hexonx
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Arthur: It was a poor casting by Starz. Maybe it won’t affect you but I am not watching that show if he is a lead.

Kinda like Anthony Edwards being cast as the lead in Zero Hour. I mean nothing against Edwards but him playing an international man of mystery? No thanks.

113. Turncloak
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

The dialogue in season 4 will be so good!

“Perhaps I should marry Queen Cersei after all, on the condition that she support her daughter over her son. Do you think she would?” “I do not know how my sister would choose, between Tommen and Myrcella”, he admitted. “It makes no matter. My father will never give her that choice.” “Your father,” said Prince Oberyn, “may not live forever”.

114. WildSeed
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

You make fair assertions here Arthur, but I have to respectfully disagree as well.
    And as much as I enjoy an adaptive film series based on historical accounts, I
    must also remind myself to appreciate it’s artistic value ( and levity ), over
    accurate accounts. There’s also the affinity that many actors have on their
    audience ( affectual ) that oftimes revises the personality of the character
    depicted. Even an actor’s attractiveness of the primary tyrant or controversial
    figure, changes the role a bit, even though closer to the truer story. An
    audience participation, increases the subjectivity factor. Admittedly, I’ve
    fallen victim myself, forgetting for a moment historic value.

Films or News Reels have their place in history too, with respects to
    propagandizing social events. It’s the manipulative elements that warn there,
    however the viewers allow by either swallowing whole what’s shown, or
    fact check by reading further ( or remaining neutral until less harrowing
    events subside, during a war ). In today’s world, differentiating artistry
    in the adaptation process, over it’s featured content remains key.

115. Cary Storm
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Bean,

Instabuy.

116. WildSeed
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck:
    Arthur,

I agree…I can’t think of anything that focuses on “smallfolk” in the middle ages.I wonder if it’s a side effect of most of the recorded history of real-world medieval period being written by or about the nobility?Like, whether stories of the peasantry are just missing from our cultural memory.

Maybe next time script frenzy comes around you should get onto it…might be your million dollar idea!

There are many small folk accounts from Midieval Literature perspectives
    and Historical accounts, but yeah, some film makers don’t support too much
    interest. For me, there are a few notables that stand out in my memory :
    ” The Return of Martin Guerre “, ” Pillars of the Earth ” , A Knight’s Tale “,
    to name a few.

117. Selmy
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Larry is a massive fool. He had a good thing going for a while but… he lost it. His lack of understanding used to be endearing but now its just annoying. What GRRM writes is gospel. Its not our place to dispute that or say ‘it should be like this instead.’ If in TWOW Tyrion turns into a massive purple Unicorn then explodes and kills everyone then that’s what happens. We have no say and that’s exactly how it should be.

118. WildSeed
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Been on both sides of this issue, in the end analysis, history supports this view.
    Despite Caesar’s resulting dictatorship, history demands recognition of his
    building the Roman Empire, AND perhaps one of the most celebrated military
    commanders.

Really wish I’d seen this ” Rome ” series.

119. Echoes in a well
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Not sure if someone mentioned this but the girl is probably the girl that tries to befriend Arya in the village outside the Vale only to have her soldier doll cut up into pieces.

120. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Yeah! They had better keep this too:

By way of answer Prince Oberyn swirled his wine, and said, “When the Young Dragon conquered Dorne so long ago, he left the Lord of Highgarden to rule us after the Submission of Sunspear. This Tyrell moved with his tail from keep to keep, chasing rebels and making certain that our knees stayed bent. He would arrive in force, take a castle for his own, stay a moon’s turn, and ride on to the next castle. It was his custom to turn the lords out of their own chambers and take their beds for himself. One night he found himself beneath a heavy velvet canopy. A sash hung down near the pillows, should he wish to summon a wench. He had a taste for Dornish women, this Lord Tyrell, and who can blame him? So he pulled upon the sash, and when he did the canopy above him split open, and a hundred red scorpions fell down upon his head. His death lit a fire that soon swept across Dorne, undoing all the Young Dragon’s victories in a fortnight. The kneeling men stood up, and we were free again.”
    “I know the tale,” said Tyrion. “What of it?”
    “Just this, if I should ever find a sash beside my own bed, and pull on it, I would sooner have the scorpions fall upon me than the queen in all her naked beauty.

121. Turncloak
    Posted August 11, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

The Red Viper! I hope Pedro Pascal does the character justice. Such epic lines

122. Arthur
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 12:10 am | Permalink

Another AWESOME episode of HBO’s The Newsroom!

I freaking love that show! It’s so fast paced and dense with plot and still manages character development and relationship interactions… While hitting on political and social hot button topics…

I have to watch each episode at least 2 times to catch all the plot storylines taking place…

123. DH87
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Arthur,

Arthur, I much preferred tonight’s BREAKING BAD, but I’m glad you’ve found something else on HBO worth watching. (I’ve cancelled it til GOT returns.) Both THE WHITE QUEEN and HELL ON WHEELS were off to a slow start, but I’m willing to give them a chance, and I have hopes for a rejuvenated HOMELAND next month.

124. DH87
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Arthur: Who is cast as Claire?

No news on who has been cast as Outlander’s Claire, yet, Arthur. They are coming down to the wire, since they begin filming next month. The author seems very happy with Menzies and she’s dedicated her entire writing career to the series, so I suspect Randall/Randall will be in good hands.

125. Nathaniel
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

They don’t have a Gregor. They have a tall guy trying (and failing) to be a Gregor

126. Turncloak
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 10:07 am | Permalink

“Clean hands, Sansa. Whatever you do, make certain your hands are clean”. Littlefinger is the future hall of famer teaching the rookie how to play

127. Ser Endrew Tarth
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

WildSeed:

Thanks for mentioning “Pillars of the Earth” and there is also the sequel “A World Without End”. They both showcase the plight of the common folk quite well, and they are amazing books…

Let’s not forget that GRRM does take special care in showing how the commons live and how they are affected by the War of the Five Kings… They just don’t (seemingly) have time to expand on it much in the show, tho obviously this time that Sandor and Arya may spend in a small village may begin to remedy that

128. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

I picture him as a mob boss, tbh.

129. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Nathaniel:
    Ours is the Fury,

They don’t have a Gregor.They have a tall guy trying (and failing) to be a Gregor

I’m not interested in debating the acting. I’m simply stating that someone already has the role.

130. xavier
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

See how the vfx of Season 3 of game of thrones was made:

131. boze
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

xavier,

Thanks for the link! :)

132. Fienix
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

You could try to find a copy (or get on NetFlix, etc if they have it) of the mid-80′s movie Flesh + Blood. It stars Rutger Hauer and was directed by Paul Verhoeven. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089153/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

You should also check out the 2 mini-series made of the books “Pillars of the Earth” and “World Without End.” Of course, the books are far superior in terms of historical accuracy, but they did a pretty good job adapting them to TV. (edit: I see someone already mentioned these. sorry for the repetition!)

133. Adam Whitehead
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Who is cast as Claire?

Not announced yet. Sam Heughan has been cast as Jamie though.

I don’t think either character is a hero. ‘Black’ Jack Randall is actually the primary villain of the first book (according to Wikipedia, anyway). Claire also has an affair with Jamie in the past, so I assume her relationship with her husband isn’t great either.

134. DH87
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

It’s a little more complicated than that, AW, but you’re close. Randall/Randall is the third lead for the first three of eight books in the series. Claire is a time traveler, so her relationship with Jamie technically is not an affair but a first marriage, in chronological terms. Black Jack is part of her life in the eighteenth century, Frank is her husband in the mid-twentieth century.

135. Bethany
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Someone may have said this already, but there’s a movie called Black Death starring Sean Bean and Carice Van Houten (and lots of plot twists) that I bet you’d enjoy.

136. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

By the way, if anyone is somehow doubting that that’s Varys in those pictures, the design on the back of the guy is the same as the robes Varys wore in a few small council scenes in season 3. You can see the pattern more clearly in the conversation about how he was cut. When he turns his back to wash his hands. Dunno what that means about the speculation that they were filming the royal wedding though.

137. Ioco73
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Who the fuck is Larry Williams?

I watched “Low Winter Sun ” last night…that is the new show to watch! Mark Strong in the lead, plus the awesome Lennie James from the equally awesome “The Walking Dead “, plus Joey Ransone from “The Wire”, really great pilot episode!

PS I’m trying to like”Ray Donovan”, but the show is turning into a dud. I love Jon Voight and Liev Schreiber on the show, but the writing and direction is between weak and atrocious! Hopefully now that they added James Woods to the cast things will turn around!

138. Turncloak
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

I just re-read the scene where Arya and Sandor run into Gregor’s men at the inn. I pray they keep her “is there gold in the village?” moment and have her kill Polliver this time instead of the Tickler. I will be extremely disappointed if they get rid of one of Arya’s most memorable scenes.

139. DH87
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Ioco73: I thought that “Hell On Wheels” started out just right, I did not want to see a large scale gun battle…the bitter sweet melancholic tone suited me just fine!

Agree. Anson Mount and Colm Meaney know what they’re doing, and there are enough unexpected cast choices to keep the show interesting. The new showrunner is willing to take risks (e.g., Bohannan and the LDSC girl in the barn scene) that make up for the lack of predictable shoot-em-up action.

That said, I don’t know what half of the current drama crop would do without various lunatic religious fanatics popping up in one place or another (True Blood, Hell on Wheels, the Borgias, GOT, etc.). They can be counted on for the crazy. I’m expecting Torquemada sooner or later.

140. H. Stark
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 4:06 am | Permalink
  141. zambi76
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 7:48 am | Permalink

H. Stark, that picture is brilliant. Looks like Finn lend Roger one of his favorite shirts (usually he is the one with elaborate flower patterns). Growing Strong indeed. XD

142. mariamb18
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 7:54 am | Permalink

H. Stark,

Great photo! Jaime clearly has spent more time on personal grooming now that he is back in KL.

143. Selmy
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

H. Stark,

Thats a great photo. Love that Roger is wearing a flowery shirt! Reppin’ House Tyrell!
    However, what’s with Nikolaj’s hair? It looks black. Is he gonna be wearing a wig this year?

144. Oberyn Wan Kenobi
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Hey does anyone know what day filming in Croatia begins?

145. Feremuntrus
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Love the cast pictures. By the way, I saw this concept drawing of Pedro Pascal as the Red Viper by a fan. I don’t see what people are complaining about. He looks awesome assuming he keeps the hair that way.

Pascal himself commented on the picture.

146. Jentario
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Who’s the guy on the right? My only guess is Iwan Rheon but I don’t think that’s him.

147. zambi76
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Hey does anyone know what day filming in Croatia begins?

Next week on Tuesday I’ve read.

It’s Finn, Roger, Kit and Nikolaj from left to right, Jentario

ETA: I think it’s just the haircut that makes him look younger. I remember the jacket he is wearing from another photo. And the hair is still brown not black. That’s just the bad pic quality.

148. Jentario
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

zambi76: Next week on Tuesday I’veread.

Its Finn, Roger, Kit and Nikolai from left to right, Jentario

149. Jentario
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Well, if it IS Nikolaj, he looks like he’s in his 20s! What magic does he use?

150. Selmy
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

Its definitely Nikolaj. Dat jawline! But yeah his hair looks different.

151. Joshua Atreides
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Really starting to dig Pedro.

152. jentario
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides:
    Really starting to dig Pedro.

Yeah, he seems like a nice guy. I wonder what he looks like in-costume…

153. Chickenduck
    Posted August 14, 2013 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Jentario: Is it Nikolaj? I get what you’re saying but the guy looks younger… And he also has black hair. I see the similarity in the face but still…

It’s definitely Nikolaj. Lots of the actors have markedly different hair when out of character. Check this pic of Nikolaj with a buzz-cut: http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/people/32758/Nikolaj-Coster-Waldau.html

Totally doesn’t look like a Lannister.

Or this picture: http://www.buddytv.com/new-amsterdam/photos/cast-members/nikolaj-coster-waldau-photos-18468.aspx

154. J
    Posted August 14, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Bit of “insider info”… A character called Timmin (sp?) Lannister has been cast for season 4; described as 25-35, sword fighting required.

155. The Rabbit
    Posted August 14, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Just in. Update on casting for extras in Split.
    If we were not sure by now – we have a confirmation that Daenerys story arc would be filmed in Split and round abouts.

Gonna copy-paste the original text then below the translation:

Djeca ( djevojčice i dječaci) od 6 – 12 godina, prednost tamnija kosa i ten.
    Termin castinga 19.08. 10:00 – 13:00.

Children (girls and boys) 6 – 12 years of age, they prefere darker hair and skin.

Vojnici (Unsullied) od 18 – 35 godina – između 180 i 190 cm + malo razvijenije ruke.
    19.08 15:00 – 18:00

Soldiers (Unsullied) 18 -35 years of age – height 180 – 190 cm – stronger arms

Masters Noble (plemići; Muškarci i Žene od 35 – 60 godina)
    svjetlije puti, nije naodmet imati koju kilu viška i ako uz to djeluju malo profinjenije.
    20.08. 10:00 – 13:00

Nobles – Men and women age range 35 – 60, lighter skin, a bit chubby (sorry did not know how to translate it)

Djevojke (robinje)
    malo mršavije cure i žene s prirodnom bojom kose ili pofarbane u prirodnu boju, dužina kose od ramena duže – bez modernih rezova (šiške, ukoso rezana kosa, pola obrijana – pola dugo etc.)
    20.08. 15:00 – 18:00

Girls (slaves) a bit skinnier girls and women with natural longer hair. No modern hairstyles. Opasniji tipovi Muškarci od 35 – 50 godina
    21.08. 10:00 – 13:00

“Badass” guys: Men from 35 to 50 years of age.

156. Leanne
    Posted August 21, 2013 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Hi everyone just wondering has anyone gone up to Belfast/Down while they were shooting the series? Down & Belfast aren’t far away from me & i’m half tempted to take a day off work and head up!

157. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 21, 2013 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Leanne,

There have been spottings here and there. Yesterday people reported spotting filming at the monastery in Crossgar (I think maybe they’re actually referring to Inch Abbey where they’ve filmed before). Suppose you could always go check that out. :) They’ve also been filming at Gosford Castle.

158. Roekest
    Posted September 6, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Onion Knight:

If they were to bring him in, I’d figure they would have introduced him when Bran and Co got to the Nightfort