Day 47: Filming at the Hotel Belvedere
By Ours is the Fury on in Filming.

Hotel Belvedere, DubrovnikAfter weeks of preparation, Game of Thrones filming at the Hotel Belvedere in Dubrovnik, Croatia will begin today. Decorations have popped up gradually over time, with a mural appearing on the ground last week depicting the combined Lannister-Baratheon sigil that King’s Landing royalty uses.  DuList was able to capture several images of the set as the finishing touches were placed on it before filming began.

3Note the large sword in the lower-center of the above photo.

Extras

Hotel Belvedere, Dubrovnik

Hotel Belvedere, Dubrovnik

There are a few more photos at the source. Visit DuList to check them out. Now here’s another filming prep photo of a different sort: our Mountain, Hafthor Bjornsson shared a pic of his new look on Instagram.

Thor
Ours is the Fury: It looks like we will be seeing Thor’s face as Gregor after all if his hair’s been dyed. As for the DuList photos- the presence of the huge sword should confirm that the Hotel Belvedere set will be the shooting site for the scene that most have been guessing it will.

1. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Stannis!

And.. “You raped her! You killed her children!”

2. Steve
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Hodor

3. Marty
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Hoooooooooodooooooooooooor!

/well mode

4. Braincandy
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

What a transformation!

5. Delta1212
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Better. He looks enough like Conan that I think it’s possible quite a few people won’t realize it isn’t. He was very memorable to a lot of the non-readers I know, but he had minimal screen time and it’s been a few years. The new Mountain has the right build and with the changes to his hair they’ve made, he looks close enough to remind people of The Mountain’s introduction in season 1, I think.

6. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink

THE SET LOOKS SO GOOD. And the mountain recast, in all honesty, will look close enough to the first guy that casual viewers won’t notice, if they show his face. Look at that scene where he decapitates the horse and then look at this guy. On a related note, that is a very feminine pose he’s doing in that picture haha

7. Oberyn Wan Kenobi
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Just make him look older and I think we’ll be ok!

8. Rygar
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Ooohh but is there a giant kraken under that towel???????

9. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Though this is something you can see without having read the books, I’ll put it in spoiler tags anyway

That sword is clearly the Mountain’s. Look at the scene with the horse decapitation. The hilt is the same.

10. Pau Soriano
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Awesome pic but he still can’t speak, so I second the motion of Ian Whyte dubbing Thor!

11. GeekFurious
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Oh hell yeah! He’s the Mountain!

12. House Snow
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Uhoh someone better warn NuMountain about posting photos of himself. We all know what happened the last time that happened.

13. GeekFurious
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

House Snow:
    Uhoh someone better warn NuMountain about posting photos of himself.We all know what happened the last time that happened.

I’m pretty sure he has a publicist with a kill-switch on his Internet just in case.

14. Loki
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

House Snow, why? this is the mountains last season anyway

15. Rygar
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano:

I am pretty sure Ian’s voice was dubbed in season two.

16. Negan's Iron
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Loki:
    House Snow, why? this is the mountains last season anyway

How do you figure? I wouldn’t be so sure.

17. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

WOW, look at that set. pretty freaking amazing!

18. Uther Greenshirt
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

very very very nice i just want to see some DORNISH costumes and armour!

and a martell banner!

19. King DBC
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Wow, it’s gonna be one stunning scene! All the amazing actors in the King’s Landing bunch will be present!!!

20. Susie-Q
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Wow!!! Hafthor Bjornsson looks awesome!!!!

21. Jentario
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Are you implying he has multiple “barnacles”? He ain’t no Podrick.

22. Reverse Nielsen
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I just hope they have him wear Gregor’s tourney armour from season 1. None of that Lannister bullshit please.

23. Jentario
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Reverse Nielsen,

Don’t worry about that.

OT: What a great recast. He actually looks similar to his predecessor! The only one I’m afraid of is the Daario recast since he looks nothing like the previous actor and also has a different acting style (from what I’ve seen). The Tommen recast is weird (I don’t understand why they couldn’t just keep old Tommen- maybe contract issues?) but you get what you get, and I’m sure the actor is good enough for the role.

24. Rygar
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Funny enough, Pod named his schlongeenie Gregor.

25. The Young Wolf
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

He looks a lot like Conan in that pic!

What is that set going to be used for? Viper/Mountain duel or PW?

26. Ser Bro
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I’m sure the makeup department can tack on 15-20 years quite easily. Gods, I can’t wait for that scene.

27. Loki
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Negan’s Iron, his head was sent off to Dorne, and even if it wasn’t its pretty obvious that they wouldnt call this guy again just for a brief undead-gregor shot (IF it will be shown in the books, of course).
    Also, this “every season needs its own mountaing” thing definitely should continue

28. Strong Belwas
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Viper/Mountain

29. Elias Andersson
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

He really looks like Conan alot i think!

30. Charl O'Brien
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

GOT is by far my favorite book & TV show of all time & I have to say I’ve been a big supporter of D & D & have loved 99% of what they’ve done with the show. My one big pet peeve however is all the recasting. I can see a Tommen or other such minor characters/child actors, but Daario, really? When they hired the actor and told him he would be the love interest for multiple seasons for a top 3 character on the #1 show, how did they not get things locked up? 1. How the F is he leaving this show? 2. How the F do D & D think they can just keep doing this with important supporting characters and it’s not going to make the fanbase go Ramsay on their ass? Got to seriously hope this is it & we’re not hearing about Sam or Bronn or Jorah being recast next summer. & don’t even get me started on the GreatJon, that one still hurts. #1role1actor #Hodor

31. Pau
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Charl O’Brian, dude, fucking spoilers!

Plus if an actor want’s to leave, or is causing problems in the set, what are you gonna do about it?? You have to let them go…

32. Roopert
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Im sure its been said multiple times in threads but all the recasts may not be their choice. This isn’t like the old days with “series regulars” who are contractually obligated to not do anything else like folks used to do. There are no guarantees necessarily from year to year and some other folks may have to take other jobs or do other things. Im sure more recasts will happen over the years – its just the nature of the way a 10 episode series with very long term stories with SO many different moving parts has to operate. There is no other show with this big of a cast and there is no way you can keep that many actors obligated. In addition, there’s SO much behind the scenes we don’t know – I suspect some changes were likely to avoid problems. I don’t think these are willy nilly changes because they don’t have enough to worry about or do. Personally they have hardly made a casting misstep yet – lets give them the benefit of the doubt.

Obviously some folks have done other things and made their schedules work. Speaking of Bronn and Jorah – both actors (along with the actor that plays Barristan and I think one or two others – it was like a mini-GOT reunion ;-) ) were on Ripper Street – but it doesn’t always work out so well.

33. Josla
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Can die happy now <3. This actor really looks like a mountain and the fact that he and Conan look alike is a huge plus YAY!!

Charl O’Brien,

Not Jorah. Don’t want to even think of that possibility. I’m still frustrated for the lack of a certain scene that wasn’t filmed of him and Daenerys and my hopes are still high that D&D are just saving such moment for season four…

34. Alvis
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Man, he looks good and the set looks fantastic

35. Charl O'Brien
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Uh unless your daft you should realize that I put the names Jorah, Sam, & Bronn on there as examples of future recasts that would annoy me. There is nothing spoilery about that as all 3 are alive & well on the show. I understand acting is different & other jobs might come calling, but are you seriously saying the actor who played Daario one the top show on TV got a better offer? Doubtful, very doubtful. Pau by multple seasons I meant last season & the upcoming season 4, nothing spoilery there once again. Unless you are unaware there will be a seaon 4, in which case sorry for blowing the suprise for you. If you think love interest is spoilery, then you need to read between the lines a little more (Daario seeing Dany naked last season, Dany asking for him after the battle, etc.)

36. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Off-topic, but I think it’s pretty funny that all the guys joke about Pod’s sex skills being because he has a huge penis, even though Ros clearly said he was no bigger than normal. Podrick is just THAT good.

37. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere,

It is very funny that some guys are assuming a large penis is the reason for the women’s pleasure. What Ros said about Pod backs up that that’s not it. It’s not the size, clearly, it’s what you do with it. :)

38. wargsareawesome
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Loki,

‘Ser Robert Strong’

39. Atomix
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Roopert,

That’s why I watch Ripper Street. It makes me want Matthew Macfadyen to get a role on GoT. Tattered Prince is my #1 Choice. But there are literally a dozen roles from the books he could play beautifully.

40. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Its brilliant how much the new Mountain looks like Conan in season 1. When he is in his armour I could actually imagine not being able to tell the difference between the two which is really rare for a recast. The set looks amazing too and all the signs are there for this scene being everything I was hoping for it to be.

41. Rygar
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    haltwhogoesthere,

Big cocks rule. You have more options with a large member. And as long as its not used to constantly impale, it is far more pleasurable.

Finally a topic I can relate too.

42. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Atomix,

Ashur from Spartacus was born to play the Tattered Prince!

43. boze
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

A guy on the Internet pretending that he has a big cock. How original.

44. Rygar
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

boze:
    Rygar,

A guy on the Internet pretending that he has a big cock. How original.

They are a dying community, truth be told. But I was speaking of experience on the receiving end.

45. boze
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Haha. My bad, then. ;-)

46. Arthur
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Seeing that huge sword hilt gives me chills!

47. Rygar
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    Seeing that huge sword hilt gives me chills!

That’s what she said.

48. Arthur
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Just thinking…

Is anyone else more excited for this coming season then they were for season 3? I know I am.

Last season with The Red Wedding, we all enjoyed keeping it a secret and reliving that awful hard hitting emotional feeling of emptiness through the unknowing causal TV viewers eyes. That was fun and all and I was looking forward to it, just to see their reactions…

This season I am way more excited because there are so many awesome scenes coming up. This scene in particular is one I fantasized about seeing ever since I read the books. It is such an adrenaline inducing experience…

The really clever thing about this duel is that other fantasy books kind of conditioned the reader to believe revenge will always be had. So with this you’re thinking “Yeah f*ck The Mountain, he’s getting his.”, then at the last moment that GRRM twist comes and The Red Viper gets his skull crushed in, and you have to put the book down and think to yourself, (WTF just happened?). It’s such an awesome duel with a classic GRRM twist. And The Red Viper is made to be such a cool character, even though he dies, you still think of him as a badass.

April can’t come fast enough for me…

49. Arthur
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Hah!

Then I buried it in her!

50. Arthur
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Also…

I don’t mean to annoy all the regulars here that have seen me post this link many times before.

But I really hope D&D use some segment of this song in one of their season 4 trailers. IMO is really captures the feel of The Red Viper scene and thus the feel for season 4…

51. Anch0r
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink
  52. John
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Same here. I’m always excited for the upcoming season, because the story (and characters) just keep growing and growing.

PW!!
    DUELL!!
    SHIT GOLD!!

The Kingslanding plot will be fantastic!

It’s about time that winter is coming.. so that with the beginning (dream) of spring the new GOT season can begin ;-)

53. tysnow
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I have two questions concerning the Belvedere set…

1.) How are they going to block spy pics from the set during filming? Because there could be an awful lot of spoilers, from costumes and surprise roles to the actual fight itself (for casual viewers).

2. Will they CGI a full amphitheatre or leave the gorgeous Adriatic view intact?

54. Nanuk
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Anch0r,

I guess it’s decorations for the wedding festivities.

55. Carne
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

1. Unless they decide to block the shots where the camera is not focused on the view then I don’t think anything will be done. I guess they could put out some security guards at the spots where people get the best view of the filming.
    2. If anything I think they picked this spot for the view itself. Otherwise they’d most likely do it in a studio or quarry.

56. MK
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Will Sasso as Gregor Clegane.

57. TheBlackFlame
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Ser Bro: Some slightly darker foundation and a little Collodoin at the corners of the eyes and mouth and a little bit brushed on the forehead does wonders.

58. TheBlackFlame
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

MK: Will Sasso

If he was a foot and a half taller and didn’t look like a goofy fucker maybe.

59. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

TheBlackFlame: Some slightly darker foundation and a little Collodion at the corners of the eyes and mouth and a light brush on the forehead does wonders.

Methinks you found your advice so nice,
    You had to say it twice!

60. Tabes
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t worry too much about the infamous Daario recasting. These things tend to happen on small casts, it was bound to happen in GOT. Huisman is a really good actor and I’m supremely confident that after a few episodes, we will forget the re-cast altogether. Not to mention imo he looks a lot more like the Daario I pictured from the books.

61. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Some of the ASoI&F fan art is so awesome. Mighty expectations for upcoming events, I’d say. Push it to the limit, D&D!

{BTW, did you mean to reference the same piece of art with both links?}

62. Arthur
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

No they are two different pics. One is an action pic of Oberyn approaching and the second is a picture of their stature comparison…

I guess they both link to the same pic… Some bug I guess. On a PC if you can click the whole link it works but on a mobile device they both link to the same pic…

And yes I hope D&D go all out on this…

63. Skyofwelkup
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

John,

Battle of the Wall!

Tabes,

I’m still a little worried. I agree, he physically looks more like Daario from the books but I think if D&D had intended to put book Daario onscreen they would have done so from the beginning.

I just hope he inherits the wig and the character is still portrayed the same way. It would really suck if we get a blue haired, blue bearded manly, yet suave character of the books that’s meant to represent the same character created for last season.

64. House Snow
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Skyofwelkup:
    John,

Battle of the Wall!

Tabes,

65. GeekFurious
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Roopert:

They lock people up in six year contracts these days. However, if you are not a starring character on a show, then you have a lot more leeway. Also, if you have a starring role on a show, then you are allowed to do one other project along the way (usually one episode or movie). Actors who have been around for a while get their way more, obviously.

I don’t think the issue this time had anything to do with availability.

66. Chickenduck
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

tysnow:

I’d keep it. Would look amazing.

67. Atomix
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Atomix,

I cant say I wouldnt be okay with that. Or at least whomever gets cast wearing robes like he does. But I thought I was going young with Macfadyen

The Tattered Prince is supposed to be fairly old with long silver hair along with being a badass. “Well Past 60″ in the books. But either way i was just thinking Elegant Regal looking.

68. vlad
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Can I make a simple suggestion?? On the main page of the site, the link for the pictures shouldn’t take you to the picture, but to the article itself. Only inside the article, clicking a picture should visualize it.

PS: Great photos.

69. WildSeed
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

MK:
    Will Sasso as Gregor Clegane.

LMAO

70. Manuel Lannister
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

O___O Now THAT’S a sword

71. Skyofwelkup
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

House Snow,

He could say he’s a faceless man, making the transformation believable.

72. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

vlad:
    PS: Great photos.

There was some thought behind the decision, actually. The photos in the article/attached gallery are not that big. I had to go digging through DuList’s source coding on the web page to find the link to larger versions. Not everyone knows how to go looking through website’s sources to find photo info so I linked to the bigger versions- people can go look at the originals if they want to for easier scrutiny and clue-finding. :)

The article itself from DuList is linked twice in the above post (including on the main page) so I don’t think people will have trouble finding the entire article & gallery.

73. Chickenduck
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

House Snow: I’m really curious to see if there is going to be some kind of transformation scene or if they are just going to say yep here is daario

I can’t see why they’d have a transformation scene…

If I were D&D I’d just act like nothing happened. Some will notice, some won’t. A lot of casual viewers will remember the Fabio wig more than the face anyway.

74. Negan's Iron
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Loki,

Hm. Not sure I agree. I mean, obviously he won’t remain the Mountain as such, but you can’t pretend to know that FrankenGregor won’t feature at all in WoW and/or DoS. He appears briefly in DwD at the end of Cercei’s walk, and is not explicitly ID’d. Could lead to a big reveal later on and an enhanced role for Gregor (not necessarily played by this actor). One would expect that as the story nears terminal velocity, its supernatural elements may move to the forefront, having been mainly consigned to the background (at least insofar as KL storylines go). Pure spec.

75. Seriano
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    Also…

But I really hope D&D use some segment of this song in one of their season 4 trailers.IMO is really captures the feel of The Red Viper scene and thus the feel for season 4…

They already used it in this season 2 trailer:

76. Arthur
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Seriano,

Oh yeah!!!

Damnit, D&D are many steps ahead of me I guess… Maybe they should use it again? =P

77. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

SWORD!!

Yeah. I can totally see it. Great re-cast. They did what they had to do, and they found this monster. It’ll be barely noticeable, and almost no one will care. I even know a few Unsullied who didn’t realize Seasons 1 and 2 Gregor were different people, so this will be even less noticeable.

The Daario one will be a bit tougher (few will remember Tommen, and the way kids grow, many could assume it’s the same kid but older), but it’ll be fine.

This show faces 2 very unique challenges: It has literally several dozen characters that are something more than just minor importance, and the material has already been written. So another ensemble show could jettison a character easily – even if it makes them jump through hoops to do it (see Downton Abbey for this). In a show with a smaller cast (say, Homeland) you only have 3 characters who you couldn’t just easily write out of the show.

GoT has about 35-40 characters that cannot be written out just on a whim. So they have to be re-cast (Tommen), re-cast and then re-cast again (Gregor), or kept on the sidelines until possibly able to pull them back into the show, or just written out entirely (Greatjon). It’s real tough to deal with.

78. Ashley
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

So I read on spoikertv that they are filming anoyher fight scene at Craster’s and they sourced this sight? Is that true.

79. J
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

The Big Mountain scene is freaking epic. Let’s hope that HBO gives it the time and budget it deserves!!

80. Monica
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Great Mountain!

When is the clock going up? I’m getting suspicious that Season 4 will start late, maybe to coincide with the release of the new book…

81. Camilo Mallea
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

He looks like a young Robert Baratheon…

Anyway, he´s perfect for the mountain´s role.

The scene we all know they will film in that location will be awesome!!

82. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Ashley:

Probably. Our sources saw them getting ready to film a fight at Craster’s a couple weeks ago(mentioned in this post) so they probably finished filming it. We’ll have another filming rumors round-up sometime this week, after the Hotel Belvedere excitement dies down a bit I think.

83. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: Probably.Our sources saw them getting ready to film a fight at Craster’s a couple weeks ago(mentioned in this post) so they probably finished filming it. We’ll have another filming rumors round-up sometime this week, after the Hotel Belvedere excitement dies down a bit I think.

I’d be up for a fight at Craster’s every season just for the hell of it. It, like Drunk Cersei, re-cast Gregor, and epic Varys/Littlefinger throwdowns, I’d be up for once a year, if not more.

84. holly
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Loki,

I am pretty sure that the mountain will be back, maybe as a corpse

85. Arthur
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Hey,

I think we all forgot about another big action scene I am pretty sure happens this season if D&D will include it in the TV series…

Isn’t the big Dany storyline duel taking place this season outside the city gates of her next conquest that had Strong Belwas wipe his ass as an insult?

Or is that next season?

86. boze
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Monica: maybe to coincide with the release of the new book…

You mean that we won’t get S4 before 2016?

87. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Arthur:
    Greatjon of Slumber,

Hey,

Or is that next season?

88. Jentario
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 2:45 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

One thing we know from sure: no ass-wiping.

89. Jentario
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 2:46 am | Permalink

boze,

My bet is early-to-mid 2015. GoT is lighting a fire under GRRM’s ass, and he knows he has to hurry up.

90. Chickenduck
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 2:52 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber: That would probably be right though we have no Belwas. So either we get something like a Selmy or Mormont battle against someone (which would be cool) or they skip it.

If I were to guess, I think they’d get Daario to be the one to do it.

Although maybe it’d be a cool opportunity for Selmy to show the much-discussed warrior skillz onscreen.

91. Selmy
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 3:26 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Do you think there will be any pics of the scene being filmed? Or will there be upped security when filming actually starts?

92. peter jørgensen
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 3:40 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Or maybe an introduction scene for Big Brown Plumbelwas aka Hoji Fortuna.

93. Valpur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 5:26 am | Permalink

Hey, looks like we can start an official countdown:

94. Loki
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 6:29 am | Permalink

any news on alfie/iwan being in season 4?

95. Jentario
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Loki,

Yes, there was a photo of them with a fan at Belfast.

96. The Flayed Man
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Valpur:
    Hey, looks like we can start an official countdown:

Not really, there’s still no concrete premiere date.

97. Tyrion
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:32 am | Permalink

great photo- I hope season 4 come soon !

98. Loki
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Tyrion, just 7 months from now.

99. RobbWind resurrected for doggie style with Walder Frey
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 9:22 am | Permalink

In the first episode Tywin should send the Mountain to Harenhall the kill Locke and all his men for revenge and some lannister debt payment. But single handedly, gruesome and evocative way that will really reintroduce his character as a force before the duel.

100. A Secret Baratheon
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Thor looks so much like Conan! That’s great! :-D

101. Arkash
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

RobbWind resurrected for doggie style with Walder Frey,

I like the idea of Gregor being reintroduced to the audience in a very brutal way, and it definitly is the best thing to do but I really hope they keep Locke for Brienne’s story arc later on !

102. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Arkash:
    RobbWind resurrected for doggie style with Walder Frey,

Agreed. If there’s one thing I want to see for Locke, it’s a confrontation with Brienne.

103. Caravaggio
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Woah. I assumed that set would be for the Royal Wedding, but Oberyn versus Gregor? That would be epic beyond belief! If I remember right, the scene took place in an unremarkable courtyard surrounded by stables. To give it a proper Lannister furnishing magnificently screams propaganda.

Unf, the director, DP, cinematographer, etc. are going to have such fun with that set!

And, woah. What a transformation! That’s the Mountain we remember!

104. GeekFurious
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Valpur:
    Hey, looks like we can start an official countdown:

We can start an official countdown to a premiere date we don’t know?

That link is just the announcement of a 4th season.

It is from APRIL.

105. Arthur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Caravaggio,

I would love to know who the choreographer of this scene is…

Like I said before D&D made sure to get all the puzzle pieces but no matter how good the props, actors, directors and set is the scene can only be as good as the choreography…

Does WiC know who’s doing this so we can research their prior work?

106. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Caravaggio,

You’re the only person I’ve seen who thought it would be that. Also, saying you thought it would be the royal wedding counts as a spoiler to quite a few unsullied because it shows that that event does take place.

107. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink
  108. Arthur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Family, Duty, Hodor,

Season 1 Mountain was 4 inches taller but this season 4 Mountain seems to be more buff and a lot thicker in the chest and shoulders…

Platform-like boots and good camera angles and this new guy will rock. I really love this recast and I hope D&D hold on to this guy for future seasons…

Daario is going to be another story but after a few Dany storyline scenes we will all get over it and except the new guy…

109. Macharius
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

He’s a worlds strongest man finalist(top three iirc) and weighs about 180 kgs/400 lbs. The man is massive, almost as heavy as book-Gregor is. Just shorter, but nothing elevated heels and camera angles can’t fix as you say.

110. Arthur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Also…

D&D need to give whoever had the idea to harvest the season 4 Mountain recast from someone from the worlds strongest man competitions a bonus check…

How fitting, seems like a no brainer. This Thor guy is as close as you can get to a real life Mountain.

I wonder if D&D were sitting around having a beer when one of then was like… “Hey, what about seeing if we can get one of those huge guys from those worlds strongest man competitions?”

Lol… Good work gentleman!

111. H. Stark
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink
  112. Scudder
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I assume the same team that worked on the choregraphy for season 2&3 will be working again on that for season 4. That means:

Paul Herbert, stunt coordinator: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0378609/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

David Forman, assistant stunt coordinator: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0286335/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

And C.C. Smiff, sword master: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0806905/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

As you can see they all worked on Batman Begins and other blockbusters.

Judging from the two following videos, they are involved every time there’s action, stunts, etc. They seem quite devoted.

From season 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9SyjN_AepU

And season 3, the trial by combat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5rVL4f9F_8

I think Alex Graves (director of S03E04 and 05) will also direct the scene we are talking about, perhaps in S04E08. The closest glimpse we can get of it right one is The Hound vs Beric (which I loved), since the same team will probably be involved. Hopefully, it will be bigger and longer. The amphitheatre set alone is even more spectacular.

113. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

H. Stark,

That giant lion head is horrible looking but I’m guessing that’s supposed to be the idea.

114. Arthur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Scudder,

Wow…

Thank you so much for that. You are very insightful and informative. I appreciate your research and links. I follow your logic and I’m thinking you’re correct.

Thanks again!

115. Arthur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Scudder,

The Hound duel in the cave was 86 moves and deemed “massive”. I wonder how many moves this upcoming fight will have and if the cave fight was considered massive then how epic is this season 4 fight going to be?

I can’t wait until some footage starts coming out. April hurry up and get here damnit…

116. Arthur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Lol…

D&D need to keep this new Mountain…

Here’s a promotional idea…

On the next SDCC and any other type events. Send Thor there as The Mountain. Have him in costume (full plate) and just make appearances walking around the comic-cons being angry.

How awesome would that be? It’s not irrational or invincible. It can easily be done and would be such a fun idea and it would also be a promotional benefit to the show.

D&D make it so!

117. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

you cant send the Mountain after Locke. You have to save Locke for Brienne. Locke=Vargo=Rorge/biter. unless they bring back them two which i wouldnt be apoused to. But it be better to see them join Locke then Meet up with Brienne, Pod, and hopefully Gendry

118. Bolton5
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

A bear there was, a bear, a bear………

…..or rather, a son of a bear……

119. VARGOAT
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

House Snow:

No i do not know what happened? What did happen?
    Please please forgive me my unsullied-ness ;)

120. Rfresa
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

As someone who watches scenes over and over to take in the scenery and set decoration, this scene will be spectacular!

121. Selmy
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink
  122. Ashara D
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Lord Of The Waters:
    H. Stark,

Tacky, yes, but can’t you just see two little knights, one aboard a pig and one astride a dog, charging through that mouth, leaping the lower teeth, and brandishing their tiny wooden lances? I’m hoping…;)

AWESOME MOUNTAIN!

123. Ashara D
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Selmy:
    I really hope Oberyn’s armour looks a bit like this.

This is definitely the coolest interpretation I’ve seen.

I agree! Differing shades of copper, bronze, even rose gold scales–spectacular! Can’t wait! Dorne!

124. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Ashara D,

haha I like your way of thinking!

125. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre,

It was reported a long time ago that the rorge actor is returning. Rorge, Slynt, and Dontos will be played by the same actors. And it’s “opposed.”

126. LordNoga1981
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

So glad they recast The Mountain. That guy in season two just didnt look right. The first one who cut off the horse’s head looked perfect and this guy looks just like him.

127. LordNoga1981
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Hell yeah, Ashur was my favorite in Spartacus!

128. Hounded
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

I’m confused about this lion head… Is it supposed to look terrible?

129. King in the North Carolina
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Charl O’Brien:

I saw Dany naked last season. Does that mean I get to be her love interest? ‘Cause that would be awesome.

Although my wife will be super pissed.

130. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

LordNoga1981,

Absolutely. He had the most, realistic arc of the series. His death was terribly done in my opinion. Nivea should have stayed dead. She is an argument against recasts for certain.

131. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Hounded,

No. This is just an indication that the quality of the show is decreasing and a further harbinger of the show coming apart at the seams. It possibly cannot be a gaudy wedding decoration and it absolutely must be the production team not giving a damn. And there’s no point waiting till we know exacty what it is when we can condemn it from the get go.

It all goes down hill from here folks….

132. Hounded
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Yeah I wont be tuning in for season 4. I’m also going to burn my season 1 and 2 DVDs.

133. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Hounded,

I’ll do you one better, I’m going to defecate on them in tribute to the lost Strong Belwas and then burn them!

134. Arthur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

What are you talking about?

One tacky large scale lionhead prop = the demise of the show? How do you figure?

Are you some drunk angry True Blood fan trolling or are you just trying to be funny?

135. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Hounded,

To add to filmic bonfire I will throw in an effigy of Michiel Huisman the Usurper and as it turns to cinder, a bacchanalia of epicurean proportions will be held in honour of Ed Skrein. At the end of this ritual D and D will be brought bound and gagged to a bronzed likeness of Conan Stevens and sacrificed on the altar.

Ugh. Sometimes I go too far.

136. Garlan the Gallant
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

New (selfie) photo posted by Hafþór Björnsson of him in some awesome battle armour. His girlfriend doesn’t look too bad either

Love it, the armour is distinctive, and addresses complaints about S2 Mountain’s “typical Lannister soldier” armour

137. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Garlan the Gallant,

Awesome. Conan who?

138. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Wonderful. Wonderful wonderful.

139. LordStarkington
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere:
    Wonderful. Wonderful wonderful.

Yes, but what do you think of our new Mountain?

140. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

LordStarkington,

I see what you did there. But alas, her eyebrows are distracting for me.

I think they probably put him in that armor as a visual cue that he’s the same character from season 1. Casual watchers only know characters by their physical description, so it will help them. I don’t really get how it’s enjoyable to watch a show not knowing anyone’s name, but that’s for another time…

141. Arthur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Garlan the Gallant,

Hah!

His shoulder armor looks awesome and his girlfriend is superhot!!!

142. Arthur
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Garlan the Gallant,

One thing is for sure, Thor seems to be having a blast and totally enjoying his new job…

143. WildSeed
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

You’ve had too much wine, ser. Your inebriated taunts reek of……nothing more
    than mischief. You are no longer on the guest list for the aforementioned Hotel
    event. King Joffrey will be most disappointed. See to it that your example will
    not suffer the same fate as ser Dontos. No one makes fun of the one who makes
    fun of the decorations………….

144. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Sound advice friend. Sound advice.

145. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere: Anyway, I think it would be funny if the lion head is to be remarked upon by Olenna. I pictured her as more grumbling than she is in the show. I always thought she was just a person who is at the age where they’ve decided to remove their filter, rather than a twinkle-in-my-eye troll like she seems to be on the show. Not that it’s horrible. Just not what I pictured. If she makes a comment on how stupid the lion’s head looks, it will be worth it. Too bad it loos like that area won’t be part of Dorne after all. Oh well.

She didn’t seem to have much of a filter from where I was standing. Needling Tywin about youthful buggery? Calling Tyrion a “brow-beaten bookkeeper?” Telling Varys he cannot sit down, and her tipsy dissemination of the Tyrell family tree, post-marriage? Hilarious.

146. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides:
    Hounded,

Ugh. Sometimes I go too far.

You’re forgetting a digital alteration of the Second Sons wedding scene so Sansa does not kneel, inserting the word ‘HAR!’ yelled every time Tormund Giantsbane speaks (yelled by you of course), a lengthy rant over the entire House of the Undying scene, and giving Davos 4 more sons to die with Matthos. How dare they!!!

147. Eddard Stark II
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Permalink
  148. WinterRose
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 12:10 am | Permalink

Now THAT’S a mountain!

149. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

I didn’t say she did. I said in the show she’s more of a troll. There’s a difference between lacking a filter because you just don’t give a damn what people think about your honesty, and lacking a filter because you like messing with people and are willing to say what you want in order to do that. Essentially, in my head she was more surly. In the show she’s more playful than I imagined. She seems to say things to people because it amuses herself, whereas I thought she said things because they were just things she thought. The difference was most clear in the invented scenes for her. I could very well be alone in this impression, though…

150. Chickenduck
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 2:19 am | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere:
    Greatjon of Slumber,

I didn’t say she did. I said in the show she’s more of a troll. There’s a difference between lacking a filter because you just don’t give a damn what people think about your honesty, and lacking a filter because you like messing with people and are willing to say what you want in order to do that.Essentially, in my head she was more surly. In the show she’s more playful than I imagined. She seems to say things to people because it amuses herself, whereas I thought she said things because they were just things she thought. The difference was most clear in the invented scenes for her. I could very well be alone in this impression, though…

In my head she was pretty playful. Basically a smarter version of Nanny Ogg.

151. Andy
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Jesus. I’d let Thor do horrible wonderful things to me.

152. Ser Tahu
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Off topic – News from other HBO shows:

The Newsroom has officially been renewed for a third season :D. And…

True Blood will end with season 7 next year :D. My theory is that they are planning for American Gods to start in 2015, taking True Blood’s timeslot.

153. Carne
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 3:50 am | Permalink

No pictures from yesterday’s shoot :(?

154. WildSeed
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 3:52 am | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere:
    Greatjon of Slumber,

I agree with your assessment, and I believe the GoT needed to pare down lady
    Olenna’s barbs for the sake of allowing time for the transition of events at
    King’s Landing and elsewhere. There may be debate for how the production
    simply meant to depict her character onscreen . Viewers received the Queen
    of Thorns in small doses, much as we’ve received Delorous Edd’s blunt humour.
    Her PG rated banter with the Hand of the King was cute, on GoT, but barely
    reminiscent of the character we read about.

When I think of Lady Olenna from ASOIAF , two words describe her well, along
    her advantage. She’s malicious and cunning. She demonstrates an acumen
    every word as if it’s a wise lesson taught by her role model.

Playful… I think not…. unless by design. Nothing gets past her. I remember
    in later chapters of ADWD,when Tyrion had fled, ( Martell minted )coins were
    found around the prison keep, presumably as pay to certain guards….. for what ,
    exactly ?
    I remember thinking, WTF has that old bag been up to ? If not
    similar to the manner that GRRM had us figure out her duplicity in hiding
    poison in lady Sansa’s hair-net
    . Oh , She is one whom must be obeyed , make no mistake.
    Playful……not. I’d always wonder about any encounter I would have with her…..
    was she laughing with me or at me ? And then, what did she put in my tea………*>*

155. Pau
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 6:13 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    Off topic – News from other HBO shows:

The Newsroom has officially been renewed for a third season :D. And…

That would be awesome!

156. Jayne
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Selmy,

It certainly looks cool, but somehow I imagined his armour to be pretty light, given that he’s from Dorne and manouvering around a lot. So more akin to light Seljuq armour, or this example.

157. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 6:45 am | Permalink

Yay, Gregor’s back in Season 1 armor. His shoulders are going to look ginormous.

(Unbelievably, he’s 100 pounds (45kg) heavier than Conan Stevens)

158. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 7:06 am | Permalink

That said, both Hafthor and Conan’s weights probably move around a ton, so it’s difficult to know for sure.

159. Mormegil
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 7:11 am | Permalink

WildSeed: Playful… I think not…. unless by design. Nothing gets past her. I remember
    in later chapters of ADWD,when Tyrion had fled, ( Martell minted )coins were
    found around the prison keep, presumably as pay to certain guards….. for what ,
    exactly ? I remember thinking, WTF has that old bag been up to ? If not
    similar to the manner that GRRM had us figure out her duplicity in hiding

I could be remembering wrong but the only coin I can think of was left behind by Varys (it was found in the belongings of his Prison guard disguise ) to sow seeds of distrust between Lannister and Tyrell (the coin dated back to when the Reach was a separate Kingdom).

160. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Newsroom for a third season? Ugh. What a waste of talent that show is! It could have been soooo good.

161. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Joshua Atreides:
    Ser Tahu,

Newsroom for a third season? Ugh. What a waste of talent that show is!It could have been soooo good.

co-sign.

162. Ser Tahu
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,
    GreatJon of Slumber,
    I love The Newsroom…

Out of HBO’s current crop of shows, here is how I would rank them:
    1) Game of Thrones (of course)
    2) The Newsroom (I love the character interactions)
    3) True Blood (seasons 4-6)
    4) Boardwalk Empire (it would be second, but the pacing is so horrible that it ruins the show. Also, at first the accents were almost impenetrable, it would be nice if you could actually understand what they are saying half the time :P)
    5) True Blood (seasons 1-3. “Hey, let’s have a season about an orgy! That’ll be fun, right guys!… guys?”)
    6) Treme (I just find it boring)

163. GeekFurious
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    Joshua Atreides,
    GreatJon of Slumber,
    I love The Newsroom…

Terribly written. Badly acted. Cheesy as hell. What’s not to like?

164. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

I know. Jeff Daniels is good but talent like Emily Mortimer wasted in a thankless crazy female role is ridiculous. I guess I was expecting Network meets The Insider rather than Broadcast News or He Said, She said.

165. Arthur
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

I disagree.

I also like The Newsroom.

Every episode is dense with plot and character relationship events. It’s hits on real past news events that are both political and socially divisive…

Maybe you don’t like it and think it’s terribly written and all that and I respect your opinion and agree you are entitled to it but please remember it’s YOUR opinion so please don’t present it as fact.

166. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 12:29 am | Permalink

WildSeed: I agree with your assessment, and I believe the GoT needed to pare down ladyOlenna’s barbs for the sake of allowing time for the transition of events atKing’s Landing and elsewhere. There may be debate for how the productionsimply meant to depict her character onscreen . Viewers received the Queenof Thorns in small doses, much as we’ve received Delorous Edd’s blunt humour.Her PG rated banter with the Hand of the King was cute, on GoT, but barelyreminiscent of the character we read about.When I think of Lady Olenna from ASOIAF , two words describe her well, alongwith a string of similar ones pertaining to the same perception of her character.Firstly, she’s shrewd and sophisticated. She’s also astute/perceptive, calculating toher advantage. She’s malicious and cunning. She demonstrates an acumenfor practicality, clever wit, and artful in her device ( remember the strategicallyplaced ” fool/jester ” used to distract eavesdroppers in the vicinity ). Her wit is sosharp that she surprises herself. Old age may at times caused her to think aloud,at times, yet she appears to be in the company of lady Margaery, whom latches toevery word as if it’s a wise lesson taught by her role model.Playful… I think not…. unless by design. Nothing gets past her. I rememberin later chapters of ADWD,when Tyrion had fled, ( Martell minted )coins werefound around the prison keep, presumably as pay to certain guards….. for what ,exactly ? I remember thinking, WTF has that old bag been up to ? If notevident to many whom read already, slow thinkers like me may find out eventuallysimilar to the manner that GRRM had us figure out her duplicity in hidingpoison in lady Sansa’s hair-net . Oh , She is one whom must be obeyed , make no mistake.Playful……not. I’d always wonder about any encounter I would have with her…..was she laughing with me or at me ? And then, what did she put in my tea………*>*

Dear wild one, perhaps you have a bit of the QoT in you as well? Oh, the envy of intents and portents! I do believe snarky words doth spoken in seasons past, be they jibes or gibberish, shall come to fruition in spades in due time, in due time….! QoT rules!

167. WildSeed
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 12:31 am | Permalink

I enjoy ” Newsroom”, immensely. The news topics are interesting,
    as are the ( staff ) human dramas throughout. I tend not to focus
    on the sappy or romantic entanglements, especially when there’s
    more to consider. I’m a big fan of Waterson and Fonda, too.

168. WildSeed
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I hope so, but I do not share your optimism. especially since next season
    will be QoT’s last
    . There were enough opportunities to portray her with more
    guile. I believe this reflects the decision of the production to depict her character
    in tolerable if measured doses. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just rather weak the’,

I don’t care for the slang, ” snarky “, it undermines a true talent
    in private.

169. WildSeed
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 12:50 am | Permalink

Arthur,

Well stated, Arthur. Could not have put it better.

170. WildSeed
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

No, there were Coins about, stamped with a florette. I forget if it were Jaime
    that found them when Cersei insisted on an investigation into Tyrion’s whereabouts
    The correlation of events, I believe, were deliberately left open so that GRRM would
    insert a link for it at another chapter, or maybe it was just a red herring.

One of those here, with photographic memory , may come up with a page number
    and/or exact timed events as in the books. I’m just amazed that I remember what I do,
    with a single read from so long ago. Funny how memory of these books linger on
    for such a long time….. these and Shakespeare ( & countless others that would be
    too numerous to name ).

171. WildSeed
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

I just re-read your response, and I believe we are speaking of the same thing. I
    relate them to the time for which these were found, and proved ignorant of their
    historical reference. This may be all there is to it, then. No upcoming or failed
    plot by QOT . I can reason with that, thanks *>* .

172. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 1:13 am | Permalink

WildSeed: Hodor’s Bastard, I don’t care for the slang, ” snarky “, it undermines a true talentfor underhanded intelligence. Men are reveled when such descriptions are given, women are given lesser consideration,and named ” thorny “. Indeed, if lady Olenna was married to her equal, they would be an formidable pair, both in public andin private.It was nice to witness fresh onscreen scenes, between she and Tywin, but it was just a taste…….

No sexism intended…not one bit. Your comment threw me. QoT is snarky, but in the true “underhanded intelligence” way. In NYC & DC, I live in a world of snarky folk (your definition). In fact, my guitar tuning device is called a Snark. Snark, snark, snark…means nothing anymore. ;-)

QoT’s last season?

173. Chickenduck
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 1:23 am | Permalink

WildSeed:
    Mormegil,

these and Shakespeare.

174. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Chickenduck: On a somewhat unrelated topic, when I read the novels, I kept being reminded of Shakespearean plot lines. Not sure why these don’t get discussed in the fandom at large?Has no one here read (or seen, or performed in) Titus Andronicus or the Richards/Henries…?Particularly Titus… I would be amazed if GRRM hadn’t knowingly borrowed some of that on purpose. Hand amputations, Frey Pie…Also, the “Bastard” character archetype… Tyrion has plenty of Edmund. And also some parallels to characters like Aaron and Shylock.

175. WildSeed
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Sadly, no, there have not been any interest in Literature or Poetry discussions
    here. Several weeks back, when I ventured in a weak attempt to discuss a bit
    of epic poem ( Ozymandias ), I quickly regretted it. Not because there was any
    disdain , just a awkward silence on the other end….. little response. There
    were other attempts, last year, with a bit from the Bard, as well.

I speculate that from time to time , a few industry insiders come about, from
    extras to fledgeling writers to amateur film makers. Admixed with these are
    Bloggers and rabid fans. I’m just a Nerdist, far removed from dabbling in any
    of those passions. I’m pretty nascent as far as Hollywood and TV junkies.
    My foray into this wormhole began with an interest to just peak in, for
    ASOIAF discussion. It appears that I’m as obsessed as any, I suppose.

Surprisingly, no one discusses Sports much. To be true, this is a GoT
    television based site, not a generalised Forum for a myriad of subjects.
    I’m okay with that. This is enough.

176. WildSeed
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 2:23 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Isn’t ” snarky ” a slang word, that refers to ” cynicism ” or similar ? It’s a word
    I don’t use, ever, primarily because it’s rarely used in my environment ( and
    never heard of it before I moved to California ).

177. WildSeed
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 2:30 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

George Martin reasoned somewhere, that he enjoyed history and took it a step further
    in imagining his own perspective, of certain battles. When I was growing up, verbal
    accounts of civil unrest and local battles were often discussed. Many times these
    accounts were passionately discussed, with highlights and inserting the teller
    in the mist of the enemy. I sat nearby and listened with wonder. Life is simple
    when you grow up on an island, now I can barely get through the day without
    turning on an electronic device.

178. WildSeed
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Chickenduck: Tyrion has plenty of Edmund

As in Shakespeare’s ” King Lear ” , fictional Edmund ? Certainly not Edward IV…
    some aspects from many historical and literature influences. It is known.

179. Chickenduck
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: I agree but I think many of the storytelling concepts GRRM used come from way before Shakespeare…back to Norse mythology, which Shakespeare borrowed from as well. ALthough you probably already know about it, folks should see Varymir Fourskins’ great website about “Norse Mythology and the Game of Thrones:” http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.com/

Yeah, true that there is influence from a number of places.

180. Chickenduck
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 4:02 am | Permalink

WildSeed: As in Shakespeare’s ” King Lear ” , fictional Edmund ? Certainly not Edward IV…
    Tyrion has been considered a bastard, true. No argument that GRRM writings includesome aspects from many historical and literature influences. It is known.

Yep, Edmund from Lear. THE Edmund :)

The archetype “Bastard”/Other character. Of which Aaron from Titus was also a forerunner. Tyrion isn’t a literal bastard, but he fits the archetype.

And as he says, all dwarves are bastards in the eyes of their fathers.

181. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Chickenduck: Yeah, true that there is influence from a number of places.Mostly though, I find the Westerosi stuff rings a lot of bells with Shakespearean concepts for me. Even Dany to a point is a bit like the Shakespearean imagining of Cleopatra.The way the storytelling is caught up with the nobility, with the occasional commoner wandering in for comedic effect.Even the much-vaunted GRRM “innovation” of killing off the main characters is actually pretty traditional… Most of the histories and tragedies end with the “POV” character dying.Not that this is a criticism of GRRM, mind. Just that I think that gets overlooked a bit. Instead of the by-line being “Sopranos in Middle Earth”, maybe “all the Shakespearean Tragedies and Histories mashed together with Dragons.”

Wonderful analogies and definitely worth further discussion! Another related reference that I’ve always found fascinating (and imho doesn’t get enough credit in today’s fantasy scene) is the great Wagner opera “The Ring of the Nibelung” from the mid-1800s. Possibly the greatest fantasy and tragedy theme music ever written (e.g., Ride of the Valkyries and Siegfried’s Funeral March…the film Excalibur used it to great effect). This monumental work also borrows heavily from Norse mythology. Tolkien borrowed heavily from Wagner’s Ring series as well (although he never would admit it).

182. WildSeed
    Posted September 6, 2013 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Hodor’s Bastard,

I agree whole heartily with you both. Just a heads up, Amazon has a new release
    ( GRRM presumably ) of a book of sayings by Tyrion Lannister. I wonder if it’s
    a worthwhile purchase. I’ve already taken the time to write down most of the quotes
    in my journal book as I read .

183. Ser Habakuk Tibatong
    Posted September 6, 2013 at 4:41 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

184. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Ser Habakuk Tibatong,

185. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 6, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Ser Habakuk Tibatong: Hodor’s Bastard, The ‘Ring of the Nibelung’ definitely is a valid mention. Although I believe that Wagner’s operas do not cover the ‘Kriemhild’s Revenge’ part of the medieval German ‘Nibelungenlied’ or ‘Song of the Nibelungs’ which seems particularly influential on Martin’s writing. As for that I’d like to direct you towards the second part of Fritz Lang’s 1924 movie ‘The Nibelungs’.Most of Daenery’s Season 1 storyline seems to be inspired by ‘Kriemhild’s Revenge’. Kriemhild travels east from Burgundy to marry Etzel – or Attila – the Hun in order to use his tribe of nomadic warriors to extact revenge on those she feels wronged her back home. She gives Etzel a son, who however does not live long. And I believe there even is a western lord travelling with her who – very roughly – fits the Jorah Mormont mold.The mode of Kriemhild’s revenge, however – inviting her enemies to her new home and then having the Huns slaughter them during a feast – seems to be an obvious influence on the Red Wedding.

I am truly thankful for your response and references. I apologize for not including the original Germanic mythology “The Song of the Nibelungs” (TSotN), which is a major inspiration for many subsequent works, including Wagner’s opera. Wouldn’t you say, though, that Wagner’s work was true to the original TSotN work up until Siegfried’s death? The “Revenge” is truly a second act of TSotN that Wagner never bothered to explore. He wrote four incredible operas dealing with Act 1 (really focusing on Siegfried) that took him almost 30 years to write…I think he needed to reboot before he succumbed to dreaded mortality.

The reference and links between ASoI&F and TSotN regarding Dany and the RW are truly astonishing. Muchas gracias, ser. Every great work does borrow from prior great works. We are always standing on the shoulders of giants.

186. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 6, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides: Ser Habakuk Tibatong, Re: according to GRRM himself the Red Wedding is said to have been inspired by infamous “Black Dinner” episode of Scotland’s tragic royal history.

No doubt. I remember reading an article in the Huffington Post last June that articulated that point as well. I would like to read more about that event. Very interesting. Truth is often stranger (and more diabolical) than fiction. Thanks.

187. WildSeed
    Posted September 6, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Truth is often stranger (and more diabolical) than fiction.

Inarguable.

Ser Habakuk Tibatong,

Hodor’s Bastard,

Merci mille fois . You have inspired me to take up this read.