Mark Gatiss’s role revealed
By Ours is the Fury on in Casting.

GatissNestorAfter much speculation, the role Sherlock co-creator and co-star Mark Gatiss will be taking on for Game of Thrones is a mystery no more.

The actor’s casting on the HBO show was announced in July by Entertainment Weekly, but without a character name attached. After months of leaving fans wondering what part he’ll have in season 4, the character has been revealed. According to his CV, Gatiss will be playing the role of Tycho Nestoris.

Nestoris is a representative of the Iron Bank of Braavos, legendary throughout the world of Game of Thrones for always getting back the money they lend. Those who fail to repay them will find the Iron Bank funding their enemies, Tyrion warns in season 3, and the Crown is in heavy debt to the Iron Bank.

Ours is the Fury: I hadn’t considered Nestoris for Gatiss when speculating, but only because this introduction of the character is earlier than in the books. He’s a great fit for the role, and I think his knack for dryness, snark, and intelligence will suit the part perfectly.

1. morgues soft bat
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Hodor!

2. Sword of the Morning
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Since he filmed only a few days in Belfast, I’m thinking he’ll be in a few interior scenes at King’s Landing.

3. Daniel
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Don’t remember Nestoris (read the books a long time ago), is he a really juicy character with lots of potential screen time?

4. Arthur
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Well he definitely has that snobbish banker look…

Another great casting me thinks…

5. The Young Wolf
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Didn’t see that one coming! Guess he’ll make appearance in KL before heading toStannis?

6. Jentario
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:42 am | Permalink

That’s way early, but sure. Why not?

7. Colty
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Definitely didn’t see this coming haha. But it’s perfect!

8. Mayra
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:43 am | Permalink

Daniel,

I think I remember him having a couple of cool scenes in Castle Black with Jon and Stannis, but that’s about it. It makes sense he’d be in KL, though.

(Just looked it up on the wiki and apparently he’s the one who takes Theon and Jeyne Poole to Stannis’s camp at the end of ADWD, so the answer to your question seems to be yes.)

9. Jentario
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Daniel,

Nope, but his role may expand in the future. So far he’s only had 3 or 4 scenes.

10. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:45 am | Permalink

It’s very early, but I could picture him having a scene in KL before we see him at the Wall later on.

11. King Tommen
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:47 am | Permalink

If I had to speculate on why the character is being introduced at this point on the show, I’d say it’s because they want to show the Iron Bank interacting with Cersei and the Crown and getting put off.

This would make them approaching Stannis in the following season make more sense and not seem so out of the blue.

12. The Young Wolf
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:50 am | Permalink

I like that he’s coming in a little early.

13. Dev F
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:51 am | Permalink

It’s also possible that he’s being introduced early so that the series will have a recognizable Braavosi character for Ayra to hand her coin off to. There’s plenty of time for him to sail back to to Braavos with Arya before heading to the Wall.

14. The Young Wolf
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:52 am | Permalink

Forgot the spoiler blocks! This is a continuation of my previous post.

cuz I feel he & the Iron Bank come a little out of nowhere as a way to give Stannis some help in the war, and Jon some help on the Wall. So I like that they’re planting the seeds a little earlier than George did.

15. Kilgore Tully
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:54 am | Permalink

Oh, this is awesome. Tycho Nestoris seemed a prime candidate to cut (small, out-of-nowhere role requiring lots of explanation…), which would have been sad because he holds such a unique position within the world. Now he’s clearly getting his role expanded!

Maybe Arya ends up on his ship home at the end of the season!

Damn your quick fingers, Dev F!

16. BeatleFloydZeppelin
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:57 am | Permalink

A very small part in the books, however, I wonder if he will serve a major role in future books.Reading ADWD again I noticed that it seems like the Bank of Braavos mentioned more frequently. I heard that D&D met with GRRM recently to discuss the importance of certain minor characters in future books, I wonder if Tycho is going to be important later on. Maybe they want to set him up early so that they can focus on the introduction of the Martells and Greyjoys in season 5.

17. Jentario
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:57 am | Permalink

Dev F,

Good!

18. Zack
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:00 am | Permalink

I’m glad it’s a character that will have a bit of longevity to him, and that will allow him to showcase his quick wit. It’s certain they’ll expand the role and people here have already suggested credible ways for that to happen.

19. Jentario
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:00 am | Permalink

BeatleFloydZeppelin,

I think it’s not so much the character that’ll become important but the Iron Bank, which he represents.

20. Caravaggio
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:01 am | Permalink

HOLY CRAP FOLKS. This changes everything. We’re starting to see bits of the endgame here.

Tycho’s seemingly inconsequential introduction as debt collector is magnified by this casting. This is Mark freaking Gatiss, and this means going forward in the books’ narrative, Nestoris will play a huge role in the final act. This is the guy who negotiates with Stannis and Jon Snow!

Think of the possibilities. I anticipate the possibility that he bumps into Arya when he returns to Essos. Maisie Williams and Mark Gatiss sharing screen time!

21. Turncloak
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Did not see this coming! Looks like his role will be important in TWOW if they are introducing him this earlay!!! :]

22. Turncloak
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Also, why on earth did they keep this info a secret? LOL

23. Arthur
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Dev F,

I can’t imagine Arya and The Hound stepping one foot towards the direction of KL but you could be on to something.

Perhaps Arya’s travels take her (with or without The Hound) to The Nights Watches harbor or something, then that theory works.

But I just don’t see Sandor or Arya having any desire to go near KL…

24. Caravaggio
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:07 am | Permalink

Turncloak:
    Also, why on earth did they keep this info a secret? LOL

For the exact reason we’re all displaying: major fan surprise and delight.

Hell, if Tycho does visit King’s Landing, wouldn’t it be a joy to see him banter with Tyrion??? Tyrion after all was the first to mention the Iron Bank in the series, so it would be amazing to see that carry over into this season.

Just imagine. Mark Gatiss chillingly reminding Tyrion what happens to debtors who default on payments, and Tyrion exasperatingly agreeing saying the Crown is broke. Cue Mark Gatiss snarking, “I thought Lannisters always paid their debts?”

25. Kilgore Tully
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Also, am I the only one who always pictured Nestoris as one of the Trade Federation aliens from Star Wars?

26. Loki
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Kilgore Tully, lol, definitely not the only one.
    i really hope he is the one who picks up arya on his way to Braavos

27. Ser Tahu
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Well that is unexpected. I was expecting him to be introduced in season 5, combining him with the Iron banker that is turned away by Cersei. I’m curious as to how they will handle this.

Perhaps he will be a guest for the wedding, and Tywin tells him that he will sort out the crowns debts when the wedding is done… then Tyrion’s trial gets in the way… then he gets killed and they have his funeral and the emergency Tommen-Margaery wedding. And then he finally gets to bring his problems before Cersei only to be turned away (similar to how Robert kept on telling Jalabhar Xho “ask me next year”). Wait, no he isn’t filming at the same time as them. Damn.

Ok, I have no clue now. AND HOW DOES THIS ROLE INVOLVE HAIR!!??!?! I should have expected a misleading clue from someone involved in Sherlock… :P

28. Cantuse
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:37 am | Permalink

After this, I eagerly await the news that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje or Djimon Hounsou is playing Jalabhar Xho.

29. spacechampion
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:39 am | Permalink

This is surely combining two roles in one. Nestoris is the second banker from the Iron Bank in the books. The first one is Noho Dimittis, who Cersei tells to piss off.

30. The Young Wolf
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Cantuse:

Not before we get Ron Perlman as Shitmouth!

31. Dogmayor
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:04 am | Permalink

It’s going to be interesting. Though there is one slight problem, I don’t see Tywin turning away the Iron Bank as Cersei stupidly did, interested in seeing how they deal with that particular angle.

32. BeatleFloydZeppelin
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:11 am | Permalink

Jentario,

Agreed. I assume that Tycho will be a combination of characters (such as Noho), and will be used as the ‘face’ of the Iron Bank in Westeros.

33. Jacarb
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:13 am | Permalink

Arthur:

But I just don’t see Sandor or Arya having any desire to go near KL…

There’s no reason that, after leaving King’s Landing, the ship wouldn’t hit other ports. It’s actually likely, given that such ships would be running trade routes.

I absolutely love that Nestoris is in this early. I agree he’ll be in KL to get shut down by the Lannisters, which will bluntly inform the audience why he goes straight to Stannis later.

It’s also important to give Braavos some material while Arya is there. Her story is cool, but from a production standpoint they’d be spending an inordinate amount of money on a new location for an extended training montage. If she’s going to be in the city for multiple seasons, there are going to be a few original sub-plots.

And anything from the show that hints at where the books are going is gravy.

34. Bran The Builder
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:13 am | Permalink

Ah… now his hair hint seems accurate!

35. BeatleFloydZeppelin
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:13 am | Permalink

Dogmayor,

Perhaps Tywin and Tycho will begin making plans this season, only to be turned away next season by Cersei after Tywin dies.

36. Jacarb
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:17 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:

AND HOW DOES THIS ROLE INVOLVE HAIR!!??!?!

Nestoris has a notable beard.

Any character who has hair involves hair.

37. loco73
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:35 am | Permalink

Sonuvabitch…damned bankers are everywhere! Anyone think that Nestoris would be prosecuted if he were found quilty of running a ponzi scheme?

Welcome to the cast Mr. Gatiss! Godspeed and all the best!

38. Giantsbabe
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:59 am | Permalink

I’ve been wondering what the repercussions will be for the NW after Jon borrowed money from the IB. By no means I think it’s a stupid mistake. It’s one of the last options he had to help them through the winter. And no, I don’t think Arya will be sent to assassinate him if they are in debt. Mention was made of the timber north and south of the Wall to help with the payment and this is also the reason why Jon takes the wildlings’ belongings from them as they pass through the wall. Hopefully we’ll get more clues through plot device and casting to see the endgame :)

Now I want to see if they cast Val, as I think her role might become important later in tWoW. Maybe we’ll see her in S5 even.

39. John-Michael
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:14 am | Permalink

Tycho Nestoris has to be one of the most bad-ass names in the entire ASoIaF canon.

40. The Blue Grace
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Actually, that totally makes sense.

41. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:30 am | Permalink

This. is. Awesome.

My favourite new character from ADWD, to be on display earlier in the series!

Now I am curious if they will cast Val, or Lady Barbrey Dustin this season. Two minor characters from ADWD as well, who could be expanded. On that note, I wonder if Val will be aged up a bit? I know the # 1 fan cast for her is Yvonne Strahvoski but i think Anna Torv would be great in the role. Torv is also a fan of the series, which means nothing really in terms of her landing the role, but it would be a good fit for her,
    As for Dustin, someone like Anna Chancellor, Gillian Anderson or Julie Cox would be great. I chose the latter because her Irulan in both Dune miniseries made me not care that her character was different from the books.

Anyone eagerly awaiting Westeros’ reaction to this casting?

Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Wow, not at all what I expected! But… pretty cool!

43. Loki
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:43 am | Permalink

TIME TO CHANGE THE POLL GUYS!

44. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:44 am | Permalink

A ginger from Braavos, what’s not to love.

45. janarchy
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Yeah, that’s how I saw it. Cersei has words with Dimittis in AFFC, and there are rumblings about the debt owed to the Iron Bank earlier than that. So not a huge surprise, but a good one.

It’s still possible that he’s not of that much importance later on, other than his connection with Stannis, then Asha and Theon and Jeyne P. Burn Gorman is pretty well known too and look how far his character got.

spacechampion:
    This is surely combining two roles in one.Nestoris is the second banker from the Iron Bank in the books.The first one is Noho Dimittis, who Cersei tells to piss off.

46. Chickenduck
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Wow. Unexpected! But that gets me very excited!

Maybe regarding Tywin still being alive to meet him, it’s a chance for a serious Charles Dance two-hander scene. Gatiss vs Dance is dialogue I want to hear.

47. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:07 am | Permalink

spacechampion:

Good point, and maybe echoing suggestions made in previous posts. I’m a bit
    surprised by the secrecy and selection for the role, however befuddled more
    with the decision to introduce this premise to season 4. The production must
    have an interesting premise for the banker , and I’m eager to watch.

Still, I can’t help but remember Nestoris’s later role at Castle Black with Jon,
    and later at Winterfell with Theon.

Gattis’s role is the only one of interest to me, thus far, can’t wait for meatier
    roles to be released.

48. hassannmadkour
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:41 am | Permalink

No greyjoys ?/:

49. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:45 am | Permalink

didnt see this one coming, looks like they’re moving this subplot forward a season or two, perhaps the showrunners want shorten the aFfC and aDwD time in the next couple of seasons, in orders to get to some of the more interesting stuff. Tycho will probably show up in KL for a bit, but i wonder if he’ll be told no outright in S4 because that was cersei’s doing in aFfC, and its hard to believe either tywin or tyrion would be so stupid as to make an enemy of him, perhaps he’ll turn up toward the end of the season, will still be there for the beginning of the next, and then cersei will say, your not going to get your money to him? if thats true though, they’re would probably be another role for him to play if they’re casting a character too early from the books

50. Hounded
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:47 am | Permalink

Ahhhhh well I didn’t see that coming.

I’m thinking they’re introducing him early so that we see him at King’s Landing getting rejected by Cersei. But then I’m assuming Tywin will be alive for most of season 4 and if a Braavosi banker were in town Tywin would want to speak with him and wouldn’t be so stupid as to tell him to piss off…

51. H. Stark
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:49 am | Permalink

Gradac Park ! :) Looks beautiful

52. TheBerylfly
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Hmm… there are only three things of note I remember that banker doing, and neither of them can be shoved into season four
    Perhaps they will have him interact with Tyrion, then Tywin (who will placate him and be his usual badass Charlesdance-y self, to contrast with Cersei’s behaviour in season four

53. OldeCrone
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 5:52 am | Permalink

This being the case I wonder why they were so coy about which role he was playing. I haven’t read the fourth book yet so don’t really know the significance of the character (and don’t want to be “spoiled” oh ye Sullied). When I was watching the TV show, when Tyrion mentioned the indebtedness to the bank and Tywin belittled him as per usual I remember thinking that might not be Tywin’s brightest move – though to be honest that was not because of any possible setting of plots for later in the series but because of the way some of the banks crashed circa 2007-2008.

54. OldeCrone
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 5:59 am | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Joshua, Gillian Anderson turned a role down earlier in the series (apparently her eldest child was somewhat disappointed that she did so). The reason she turned the role down (don’t know which role) so she said, was because her two younger children were indeed young at the time and she didn’t want to leave them. Having said that, she is an American who does a convincing British accent and I believe she has done some acting in the (unseen by me) “Hannibal” series so perhaps now the children are a little older she might be more open to travelling.

55. Boojam
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Only George would put a Bank in a set of fantasy novels.
    I know of no other instance! (In a fantasy story.)

56. Blutrabe
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 6:25 am | Permalink

I wouldn’t have expected Tycho Nestoris (if at all) until season 5. Interesting.

NomadicDirewolf:

That’s what I’m thinking. I suppose Tywin will negotiate a deal with him. Then Cersei will undo it in S5, prompting Nestoris to seek out Stannis.

57. Jess
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 6:38 am | Permalink

Boojam,

One of the main POV characters in Daniel Abraham’s Dagger and Coin series is a banker. The bank she works for plays a huge role in the series as well.

Off topic, but does anyone know when Emilia starts shooting. She seems to be the only major character who has not been spotted in Belfast/Croatia.

58. hassannmadkour
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Boojam,

Daniel Abraham’s Dagger and Coin Quintet

59. Davy
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 7:44 am | Permalink

I think Tycho Nestoris might be the person that takes Arya to Braavos after he has been told that the Iron Bank will get no more money from the Iron Throne. He might be a representative at Joffrey’s wedding aswell and might have a small part to play in the Oberyn arc. I think for this reason that Oberyn’s death will be around episode 5 or 6 and tywin’s in 7 or 8. That gives cersei 1-2 episodes to tell him that he can forget about the money and episode 10 for him to take Arya to Braavos.

60. Loki
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 7:45 am | Permalink
  61. Rygar
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Never heard of him. Don’t recall the character. And Boardwalk Empire starts tonight. Life is grand.

62. Blutrabe
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Loki,

Probably. But who photographs the preview screen of a camera? o.O

63. Hollyoak
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:29 am | Permalink

How do people even remember these minor characters from the book?

64. Viv
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Boojam:
    Only George would put a Bank in a set of fantasy novels.
    I know of no other instance! (In a fantasy story.)

Gringotts in the Harry Potter series

65. sunspear
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Ah, my favorite minor character confirmed! So excited for this.

In your face, Strong Belwas!

66. LordStarkington
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:44 am | Permalink

As someone who works in the banking industry, the character and his subplot are near and dear to my heart. Very good news!

67. J.Hancorn
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Just want to point it out, and be “that guy” I said I thought Gatiss was going to be a member of the Iron Bank of Braavos when he was first announced. He suits it so perfectly more than any other role that was possible imo.

So glad he’s that character! :D

68. Boojam
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Jess,

Interesting, never heard of Daniel Abraham’s Dagger and Coin Quintet.
    Well is there an insurance agent?
    George has one of those, never seen one in a fantasy story.

69. Brian
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Another white actor playing a non-white character then.

70. Tenesmus
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Hmmm…Arya and the Hound are in an Inn and overhear the keep and Tycho mention he is from Braavos which gets Arya’s attention. She subtley pulls the coin out, starts rubbing it and mumbling, “valar morghulis, valar morghulis,…” Cue the baddies that come into the Inn and all hell breaks loose. Arya gets Needle back and the Hound is grievously injured. After the fight, covered in blood, Arya walks up to Tycho, shoves the coin in his face and says, “Valar Morghulis.” Cut Scene. Yeah, that’s what is gonna happen.

71. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Brian: Another white actor playing a non-white character then.

72. Matt
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Hollyoak,

Because some of us don’t have short attention spans? I don’t mean to be nasty with that remark, I genuinely think that’s the reason.

73. The Blue Grace
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:30 am | Permalink

OldeCrone:
    Joshua Atreides,

Joshua, Gillian Anderson turned a role down earlier in the series (apparently her eldest child was somewhat disappointed that she did so).The reason she turned the role down(don’t know which role) so she said, was because her two younger children were indeed young at the time and she didn’t want to leave them.Having said that, she is an American who does a convincing British accent and I believe she has done some acting in the (unseen by me) “Hannibal” series so perhaps now the children are a little older she might be more open to travelling.

She plays a pretty important recurring character in Hannibal, and she’s done a lot of acting in the UK (Bleak House most recently). That said, they really seem to stay away from casting US talent, Peter Dinklage and Jason Momoa being the exception. Although if she was asked to appear already, they might of course do it again.

74. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:33 am | Permalink

The Blue Grace,

Anderson is American-born but she grew up in England and I think she’s moved back there in the last few years. She has a quasi-English accent in British TV interviews. So maybe a role on GoT isn’t out of the question anymore.

75. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Hounded,

That’s fan art, though. I would just go off the book description. People take a lot of liberties in fan art.

76. Dolorous Ned
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Definitely interesting, didn’t see that coming.

Regarding the other mystery casting, Joseph Gatt tweeted this yesterday:

Joseph Gatt ‏@MeetJoeGatt
    @IAMLenaHeadey @PedroPascal1 @FinnJones Awesome! Looking forward to seeing y’all soon!

hmm…

77. House Snow
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Why is everyone assuming he will be at KL. Didn’t he shoot during the first week when I thought none of the KL people were there yet. I wonder if he is going to be a part of Stannis build a new army storyline.

78. OldeCrone
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

The Blue Grace,

Oona Chaplin is of part (Irish) American descent (her grandmother, another Oona, who was married to Charlie Chaplin – was the daughter of the American dramatist Eugene O’Neil{Sp????? – there are a few ways O’Neil can be written}). Also Jennifer Ehle who was originally going to play Catelyn is of dual British and American nationality, so they have looked at some people with an American connection.

79. Hounded
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I know, it was just to show that the character isn’t specifically non-white.

80. House Snow
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Dolorous Ned:
    Definitely interesting, didn’t see that coming.

Regarding the other mystery casting, Joseph Gatt tweeted this yesterday:

Joseph Gatt ‏@MeetJoeGatt

hmm…

81. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

OldeCrone,

Something tells me that role she turned down was Catelyn Stark. She would have been a good fit. But we ended up with Michelle Fairley and the rest as they say is history.
    I had the opportunity to meet Gillian at the Ottawa Comic Con (I surprised her by having her sign my TV tie in edition of Bleak House, although she facetiously went on about how it was the worst picture of her she ever saw…yeah sigh she’s awesome) and was not aware of that casting information at the time. I would have asked her had I known. I wished her good luck on Hannibal being renewed and that seemed to work out :-)

82. The Blue Grace
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

It would be awesome if she would be on the show, I’ve been a great fan since the X-Files days. I also love her on Hannibal, though, and don’t wish that show to get cancelled, so my loyalties are clearly torn.

OldeCrone,

I don’t think it depends on the connection so much, just if you have a permit or visa or something that allows you to act in the UK or the rest of Europe. (Which Anderson should have, granted) Usually these things are insurance related more than anything else.

83. Carne
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Dolorous Ned,

Maybe they’re doing some more studio shooting in Belfast later?

84. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Good to know this character is being introduced. The Lannisters need to know that they are ruling on “borrowed” time. Tyrion’s “interest” discussion with Bronn in S3 was a good setup for this introduction. My assumption is that they will combine all the Braavosi bankers (Two sniffing around KL and one pursuing Stannis) into one character. I also like the idea that Arya (Cat of the Canal) might have a run-in with this character as well.

Curiouser and curiouser….

Gatiss isn’t at all what I pictured a Braavosi banker to be but its the implied threat and ultimate message that he represents that truly matters.

85. Amnesiacps
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

House Snow: Well that would be weird if he were playing StyrUnless they are planning to shoot the battle at the wall in the same area .]

Maybe he will be the new Ilyn Payne?

86. Jentario
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Amnesiacps,

Too soon, I think. Maybe in season 5 when his role becomes necessary they should consider recasting him. But it actually does work in terms of how he looks.

87. Jentario
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

House Snow,

Technically all the Wall stuff is shot in Ireland and all the internal-set stuff is shot in Ireland too, so it might just be a friendly night out and not an on-set meating. But then, maybe not.

88. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

89. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:31 am | Permalink

WildSeed: WildSeed

I’m very disappointed that you didn’t comment on OitF’s use of the word “snark.” Double standard, eh? ;-)

90. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Ser Osis of Liver: My thought is the Iron Bank will play a huge role later in the series. I’m not so sure Arya and Tycho will play off each other in S3, although they could possibly meet up on the ship to Braavos after completing their respective Season 4 storylines.But what I think will happen later on is that after exhausting all options for repayment by King’s Landing, the Iron Bank will end up ordering a hit to be carried out by a Faceless Man (conveniently located in Braavos, of course). Think of the fun we’d see if they decide to go after a previous Master of Coin. FM Arya gets dispatched to take out Petyr Baelish, Arya runs into “Alayne” at the Eyrie and All Hell Breaks Loose.

Enjoyed your thoughts on this. How could the BoB and the Guild’s House of Black and White not be intertwined? Damn its going to get fun when disparate threads in the books and in GoT start coming together.

91. Rygar
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Yes, but what about the two large bags of coins swaying under his junk?

92. Rygar
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: Well, no. Nestoris is from Braavos. He was never established to be a particular skin color. If he had been cast as non-white, that would be fine, but the character was not described as such.

Instead they picked a Jewish actor to play a banker. How scandalous!

93. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Rygar: Yes, but what about the two large bags of coins swaying under his junk?

Thanks for the …uhhm…perspective.

Along the same line, men of finance tend to stuff their pockets in order to compensate for their shortcomings. Also, I believe they tend to apply severe penalties for early withdrawal.

94. Rygar
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Thanks for the …uhhm…perspective.

Well played.

95. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

On a completely different note….

:-)

(books before film…)

96. Wastrel
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Great news. Can definitely see Gatiss in the role, and I think it makes sense to introduce him earlier – they’ve been mentioning him now and then for several books now, but viewers have shorter attention spans and it seems a good idea to actually have him being ignored a couple of times on screen, rather than in off-hand comments that no-one will remember when he turns up a couple of years later.

97. The Blue Grace
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Dolorous Ned:
    Definitely interesting, didn’t see that coming.

Regarding the other mystery casting, Joseph Gatt tweeted this yesterday:

Joseph Gatt ‏@MeetJoeGatt

hmm…

I’m not all that familiar with Dany’s storyline, since the others tend to interest me a bit more, but could he be playing someone in Essos? Those actors would have to travel to Croatia soon, right?

98. Hi-Fi
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

I now wonder if Dorne will suffer the same fate.

99. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi: Fun! Gatiss is amazing and if he’s in KL, I just can’t wait to see him interacting with all those great actors.I think it’s kinda clear by now that we won’t see any more Greyjoys on the show (based on Yara’s new storyline and the lack of casting news). I’d like to see them expanded, but I understand the limits of a TV show budget and the need not to cramp the story with new characters so I’m ultimately fine with this decision. I feel in love with the show before falling for the books, so I’ve perfected the skill of seeing them as two different products.I now wonder if Dorne will suffer the same fate.

They can’t ignore the second sacrificed leech!

100. The Blue Grace
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi: I now wonder if Dorne will suffer the same fate.

I believe the Dorne cast will be severely cut down – I expect zero to one Sandsnakes, and Arianne’s and Quentyn’s solo plots either to be pruned as well or axed entirely and (AFFC spoiler) Myrcella to be injured by a disgruntled Oberyn supporter who wants to take revenge on the Lannisters – but the Martells are more intimately connected to the plot than the Greyjoys ever were, so I don’t see them get left out.

Then again, the Greyjoys could still turn out to be connected to the supernatural plot in some way. Also, I doubt Balon will just die of old age, so someone will likely murder him, and I kind of expect that someone to be Euron or rather a Faceless Man send by Euron. But I wouldn’t expect any actual plots to be set on the Iron Islands, and I don’t think there will be three uncles. I expect one, and a right hand type character who could take over Victarion’s journey to Meereen, since that seems to be kind of relevant.

Hi-Fi: *Highfive* for a fellow person who saw the show first, and views books and show as different products.

101. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

The Blue Grace,

Gatt already filmed in Iceland. He is likely referring to when they are all back in Belfast to film more interior scenes, or in Gatt’s case, the Battle of Castle Black/the Wall.

102. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

I think they will still include one or two of the Greyjoy brothers. The Iron Fleet is kind of important, considering it will be the fleet that brings Dany and her army to Westeros.

103. The Blue Grace
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    The Blue Grace,

Ohhh, that’s different of course. Well then, he’s probably just looking forward to meeting them in Belfast again, as you say. Wheeee, battle!

104. cantuse
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

The Blue Grace,

I was under the impression that Gatt was playing Styr. He looks the part so plainly it would honestly be a surprise if he was playing anything else.

The Blue Grace,

I hope you are wrong. One of the things that kills every serial before its time is becoming too wedded to its original characters and plots. The Martells and Greyjoys breathe new life into the series right when people might start feeling like the aftermath of the War of the Five Kings is getting stale.

Euron and Victarion are begging to be onscreen; they would be obvious Monday-morning watercooler conversation starters every time they open their mouths. That’s exactly the kind of publicity HBO thrives on.

Compare it to the reason people love The Wire, because it shows so many different stories and viewpoints. Right when you think it might start becoming predictable it changes things up and gives you whole new reasons to stay invested.

105. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

The Blue Grace,

It’s a slim argument but Victarion and Euron are hinted at back in season 1 re: Tyrion/Theon conversation.
    “I remember Lannisport burning. I believe your uncles were responsible.”

106. Greg
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

That’s surprising. I always pictured Tycho as a POC, but I think his race is left ambiguous in the books. So I’m not too mad. But I was convinced that Gatiss would be the Damphair. And I’m not sure what Tycho will be doing this season? I mean, he doesn’t even appear in the books until ADWD, and Gatiss is finished filming, so he most likely won’t be in more than one episode. Maybe he’ll be a guest at the PW? Or maybe Arya will encounter him at Braavos? There’s no way he’s showing up at The Wall this early.

107. G_Lee
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Love the fact they are introducing him next season already (probably in KL)!
    I love the Iron bank of Bravost and the role it will probably play in the future.

108. The Blue Grace
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

cantuse,

it’s an interesting viewpoint, but I don’t quite agree. I’m pretty sure the Greyjoys and Martells will both play a part on the show, since they’ve already been introduced – but viewers get attached to characters, and the cast of GoT already could populate a minor village. In addition, characters who were more minor in the books have bigger roles on screen, and if we get any Wire-like shifting to other characters, it will be to them, not to new ones: they’ve already done a lot to keep people like Theon, Gendry, the Hound, Margaery and Varys and Littlefinger on screen when they weren’t in the books (and I personally prefer that). There is no way we won’t see Tyrion or Arya for a whole season, but spend that time with Victarion and Arianne instead.

Joshua Atreides,

there could be tons of uncles that are off screen or died in the rebellion, though. I’d take the Tyrells as precedent, and imagine Aeron and Victarion will be cut. But! Take heart and think of the Reeds, Edmure, the Blackfish, Selyse and Shireen, who were all introduced much later than in the books. We could easily get a Victarion later on, if they feel they need him after all.

109. Greg
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

Euron and Vic really have no place this season. I can see Aeron maybe showing up for an episode or two. The Greyjoys will be cast. A good majority of them end up being POVs, and Euron is being set up as a major antagonist. This isn’t a Strong Belwas or Edric Storm situation where they can be replaced by familiar characters. They are far too important to just be cut out.

110. Hi-Fi
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

The Blue Grace,

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Greg,

What I can see happening is the other characters (the ones we already know) hearing about Euron taking the Iron Islands after Balon’s death, but we won’t actually see him or Victarian until they start meddling with the other characters storylines. As in, when Victarian reaches Dany and when Euron does whatever he’s supposed to do in the next few books. I think we won’t get the Kingsmoot.

All speculation, of course. For all we know, they can be keeping a few casting calls secret. Though it doesn’t look like they are.

111. KG
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

He’ll likely be doubled up with the banker (Dimittis?) that Cersei tells to shove off when he comes calling at KL.

112. The Blue Grace
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

I could see that happening, except for Balon’s death, I think we’ll have to see that, if only for the mystery of who had him murdered. You’re right, though, we don’t need Euron for that, at least not now.

I don’t know if they don’t manage to keep things secret at all. I mean, looking at twitters, people are actually telling a good deal less than last year, so I’m guessing they were politely told to shut up a little harder, or at least be more vague.

113. Michel
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I could see him appearing in the season premiere and then again, only in Season 5.

114. Rygar
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Is this Joshua Taylor?

115. Jentario
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Theoretically.

116. The Dragon Demands
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Excellent news! Part of me was worried they’d drop the crown debt storyline – unlikely given how important it becomes – but I was at least worried they’d cut out Tycho.

But really they’ve been doing a good job of slowly introducing that running subplot – starting way back in episode 3 of season 1 when Ned Stark finds out they’re 6 million in debt, then exactly 20 episodes later in Season 3 episode 3 when Tyrion discovers the same information – but this time explicitly states they owe the Iron Bank of Braavos.

117. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Joshua Atreides,

Is this Joshua Taylor?

It was. Until he learned of his true lineage. The Sleeper has Awakened.

Plans within plans…

118. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi:

Hi-Fi,

I think I agree with this. I hope we do see the kingsmoot, but can see how it could get cut. They can just reveal that Euron came home and took over while Yara was searching for Theon.I’m still holding it unrealistic hope that Adam Baldwin will be cast as Victarion.

119. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I know show canon is different from book canon, but I like to think my suspicions about the importance of the IB have been confirmed.

120. Rygar
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides: It was. Until he learned of his true lineage. The Sleeper has Awakened.

Plans within plans…

Dislike. This new persona is untrollable. :).

121. Bufkus
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Not what I had in mind for a Bravossi. I would have thought people from Bravos would be people of color.

122. King Tommen
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Bufkus:

Like Syrio Forel.

123. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Bufkus,

I pictured Braavos as a multi-cultural city with many different races. It was founded by refugees who fled Valyria and the surrounding lands. And Valyrians, as we know, are white.

124. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Consumed too much ” spice “. That melange will get you, every time.
    From the get go, with respects to GoT, I’ve always considered the
    actress who portrayed Rev Mother Mohiam ( Bene Gesserit ) for a
    major role on Game of Thrones. Maybe someone like Vogarro’s
    whore, or the Green Grace
    . She may be too mature, though.

Careful, I believe Rygar is one of those Harkonnen brothers.

Care to guess whom my name reflects ?

125. AngryRosFan
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

This is excellent casting! Tycho is one tough banker, managing to get where he needs to go even in the middle of a crippling blizzard I see opportunities for good snark, especially if he’s dealing with Tyrion – Master of Coin or Tywin the Hand.

As for the Greyjoys, except for Theon and Asha/Yara, I don’t care about intrafamily politics among a bunch of pirates. I couldn’t care less about the Kingsmoot, but I expect we’ll have to see at least one of Theon’s uncles as they play a role in Daenerys’s plot.

Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Boojam:
    Only George would put a Bank in a set of fantasy novels.
    I know of no other instance! (In a fantasy story.)

Joe Abercrombie’s First Law (and connected works) involve a powerful bank on the fringes of the storyline.

127. Lady of Highgarden
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Hell, even Harry Potter has Gringotts :)

128. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

King Tommen,

The Greek diaspora, is more complicated than you imply…………..

129. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

This , I recall also. However I cannot stop visualising him with spindly legs and
    wearing a striped suit ( :

130. Kilgore Tully
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

The demographics are described as a mix, the city being founded by slaves, so the show would be justified in casting whoever (and we haven’t seen any Asian actors yet…). But that does make assumptions of race impossible.

131. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink
  132. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Kilgore Tully,

Reasonable analogy.

133. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

OldeCrone,

Trust me, Joshua Atreides knows already …….
    And Ms Anderson’s accent is perfected because she lived in the UK for a significant
    period of her childhood ( a decade ? ). I really liked her in ” The Last King of
    Scotland “, also.

134. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Thanks for the …uhhm…perspective.

LMAO ! So true, mate, so true. Their portfolio rarely comes to their aid.

At least most women have assets, that protect them in the
    most profound way, in the world of banking.

135. The Dragon Demands
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Looks like they’ll be condensing Tycho with Noho, a different Braavosi banker – I’d have condensed them too and I expected this; easier just to have one major “Iron Bank of Braavos representative” than the multiple ones in the books – Tycho was always the most important.

It’s a fairly large role actually – not that Tycho himself has a huge presence “on-stage” as an outlandish character or something, but he does end up interacting with most of the cast – given that he’s a major international banker and comes to Westeros to complain about the banking crisis.

Some thought book 4 was “boring” at times because it focused on the mounting war debt which leads to a massive economic depression – but really, that’s part of the “gritty realism” that GRRM wanted to introduce into fantasy. Where do the Lannisters think the money to pay for armies comes from? THE SKY?! They kept going on about how “we’re the wealthiest family in Westeros” – yeah, WERE – they may have beat the Young Wolf on the battlefield but mounting war debt is an ongoing problem…..combined with a simple “you break it, you buy it” problem: now that they have the Iron Throne they have to deal with the massive debts that King Robert racked up over the years – yeah, out of 6 million, 3 million were owed to House Lannister….but that means they can’t pay *themselves* back those 3 million anymore! It was functionally lost, it went nowhere.

136. Rygar
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

I loathe feuds and never harbour ill feelings. Unlike some.

137. The Dragon Demands
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Greg: d. But I was convinced that Gatiss would be the Damphair. And I’m not sure what Tycho will be doing this season? I mean, he doesn’t even appear in the books until ADWD, and Gatiss is finished filming, so he most likely won’t be in more than one episode. Maybe he’ll be a guest at the PW? Or maybe Arya will encounter him at Braavos? There’s no way he’s showing up at The Wall this early.

I actually always thought of Tycho as a pale-looking banker type; they describe him as tall and gaunt — classic miserly image of a guy who spends time in his vault counting money all day. So I thought he should look particularly pale and thus white – that being said there is no set Braavosi ethnicity, they’re a melting-pot polyglot culture.

Actually, I always think of Tycho as looking like the Muun banker guys from the Star Wars Prequel trilogy – those tall thin guys who run the InterGalactic Banking Clan.

138. Family, Duty, Hodor
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I’m really happy they’re introducing the Iron Bank early. I think that plot line has the potential to get very interesting in the future.

139. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I hope this makes people stop entering comment sections and forums and saying “psh no that’s stupid he won’t be _____ . It’s too (early/late) for that. I know everything and everyone else is wrong.”

Because I don’t know how many people guessed the banker of all characters.

140. Jentario
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

haltwhogoesthere,

There was at least one guy who guessed right IIRC. My bets were way off, though. This is a surprising casting so it’s unsurprising to see people surprised.

141. vlad
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

142. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

vlad: Alright, now I am really worried!!!! he should appear at the wall only after Stannis leaves for the mountain clans. How can they speed it up that fast??? Because I don’t see any reason for him coming earlier.

We are assuming that they’ll develop Tycho’s story in KL first (for S4).

143. Jentario
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

vlad,

Well, an IB representetive appeared in King’s Landing to be shamelessly set aside by Cersei, and that’s the prime reason they decided to back Stannis. I expect he’ll have a scene or two this year (meating with Tywin), possibly also being Arya’s ride to Braavos, and then next season he’d have his talk with Cersei early on and with Stannis by the end of the season, cementing the alliance. Then there are the Jon Snow scenes and the Fake Arya scenes (Tycho was one of her escorts to Castle Black, last we saw her).

There’s one major up-in-the-air casting now, and that’s Fake Arya which will pretty much have to appear this season, if at all.

144. haltwhogoesthere
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

Yeah I checked, there was one that saw. But my overall point is that things like this should get rid of the attitude some people have towards others’ speculation.
    vlad,

There is no indication how far they’ll get into that story. They’re probably merging him with the guy from the bank who initially showed up and Cersei ignored. Bring him in at the end of the season in the “fallout” episode (10) and they’re just fine on pacing. Doesn’t make sense for them to have two characters where one will serve. Look at Gendry and Edric. If they were willing to change that around that much, they’re more than willing to combine two bankers.

145. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

I’m guessing your speaking of the David Lynch adaptation? Sian Philips was Mohiam, a surprise for me when I watched the film originally having just experienced the awesomeness of Philips’ Livia in I, Claudius. Philips was my first choice for Olenna Tyrell.

As for Anderson, in the first season of the X Files she has a much higher tone to her voice then the other seasons. This is her struggling against her British accent.
    Can’t think of what your name corresponds to friend.

146. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Yes, I was referring to the Lynch adaptation. As for Philips portraying Olenna
    Redwynne-Tyrell, I cannot get that white haired grand motherly type from
    my thinking. Actress Fiona Shaw was my choice at one time, but later hoped
    for actress Janet McTeer ( now on Starz’s ” White Queen ” ).

the name ” WildSeed “, is taken from an Octavia Butler’s book,
    with the same title.

147. Kyrenna
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Figured that for this season atleast, they’d keep discussions of the huge Crown debt amongst already introduced characters. Big cast already, costs involved, yadda yadda, andsoforth. Am really happy they’re not treating it this way because introducing some Iron Bank representative becomes inevitable-ish in the fifth season. This will give a more gradual build-up to that plotline, which is nice. He’ll probably stay in Kings Landing this season, to go a-travelling to the Wall n into snowstorms next season.

Gah. Can’t wait for fifth season, when we actually get to see Braavos itself :)

148. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    WildSeed,

I loathe feuds and never harbour ill feelings.Unlike some.

I enjoy your comments when in they are this manner , you are More than your often
    posts , convey. Of this , I’ve learned firsthand.

So, you’re not up for Harkonnen ? Even if Sting himself played the role ?

149. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Lady of Highgarden:
    Lex,

Hell, even Harry Potter has Gringotts :)

( :

150. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

While i see Rygar as more of a Beast Rabban, he/she does seem to have a fetish for phalluses given his comments. So I think the codpiece worn by Sting’s Feyd-Rautha would be approiate.

Ah Octavia Butler…of course

151. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: On a completely different note….Even though many of you (including myself) may not be fans, please cheer for the NY Jets today as they open their 2013 NFL season. If they win, it may put GRRM in a good mood to pump out a few more TWoW chapters.

Jets won….barely. GRRM has no excuses now (for the next week at least). :-)

152. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: Fiona Shaw

I meant Fionnula Flannigan………. BIG DIFFERENCE.

153. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides:
    WildSeed,

Ah Octavia Butler…of course

You understand.

Yes, Ms Butler ‘s death was untimely, and I lament her not being able to follow up
    with a sequel to ” Fledgeling “, as well.

154. GeekFurious
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Jets won….barely. GRRM has no excuses now (for the next week at least). :-)

He’s more of a NY Giants fan, though. They play in a couple of hours.

155. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious: He’s more of a NY Giants fan, though. They play in a couple of hours.

Really? On his blog, he blabbers more about the jets than the giants…

156. Wastrel
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Second volume of Feist’s Serpentwar series is all about financial speculation. Can’t remember if there are any ‘banks’ in the modern sense of the word, but there are certainly money-lending companies, as well as a stock market, underwriting syndicates, futures traders, etc.

Iirc there are banks in Forgotten Realms. And I’m sure there are banks mentioned in Ankh-Morpork.

157. Chickenduck
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

158. Chickenduck
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Wastrel:
    Lex,

There’s a whole Discworld novel (Making Money) centred around the Royal Bank of Ankh-Morpork. It’s one of my favourites.

So yeah… if you can’t come up with a few examples of banks in fantasy novels you aren’t trying hard enough ;)

159. Midori
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know if Paul Kaye has been recast as Thoros of Myr? Although very different from the Thoros in the books, I really enjoyed his performance a lot, made the character more interesting, imo. I wonder what they’re gonna do with the BWB storyline…

Posted September 8, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck: I was 99% sure from reading his blog in the past that he was a diehard Jets fan?

161. Lord Of The Waters
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Midori,

I believe Fury said he has been spotted in Belfast recently although there was no word on whether this was filming related or not. Either way he has certainly not been recast.

162. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Lex: He’s a fan of both. In case anyone didn’t know, in Book 5 the scene where Wun Wun the giant destroys Ser Patrek of Star Mountain is a metaphor for the Giants defeating the Dallas Cowboys.

Great to know…I was just pointing out that if the Jets won, he would be happier since they have been woeful lately.

163. Carne
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Midori,

Someone took this pic with him two weeks ago: http://instagram.com/p/dfUQpBwuvZ/#

Still has the Thoros look.

He was also spotted at a hotel in Belfast by this guy a couple of days ago: https://twitter.com/TroddZilla/status/374991539837366272

164. GeekFurious
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Go ahead and ask him which he roots for when they face each other. When he chooses the Giants, you’ll have your answer.

165. Kevin
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

He has said that he has been a fan of both teams since they were in separate leagues (Giants in NFL, Jets in AFL). The leagues merged, and he stayed loyal to both. As for who he roots for when they go head-head, I would guess it depends who would benefit more with a win

166. Dio Westeros
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Kilgore Tully:

Totally saw it this way lol. The main guy.

167. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Tyrion’s “interest” discussion with Bronn in S3 was a good setup for this introduction.

A really good setup. Well played, D&D. Important character and a good one just to have on retainer in a sense. Just as having the Eddard-Dondarrion scene from Season 1 – even if Beric was a different actor – looks great in retrospect.

The Blue Grace: But I wouldn’t expect any actual plots to be set on the Iron Islands, and I don’t think there will be three uncles. I expect one, and a right hand type character

I think it’s way too early to speculate on whether we’ll get the Greyjoy Uncles or other prominent Dornish characters. For all of the truncating, they’ve left out very, very little in terms of important characters so far. They eliminated 2 Tyrell brothers who have so far not appeared in the books at all, dumped a bunch of Davos’s kids who were only referenced and then died at Blackwater Bay, we haven’t seen any of the basically unimportant Florents, and a few other randoms like Edric Storm and “other” members of the Brotherhood. Vargo Hoat was reworked into Locke.

Most of the “are we getting these people?” types we DID get – Styr, the Blackfish, the Reeds.

168. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Lex,

169. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

vlad:

Why, in the name of the Old Gods, are you ‘worried’? Nothing is perfect, but hasn’t the show given you some reason to have a bit of faith at this point?

170. Kevin
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Wun Wun = 11 = Phil Simms’ number

171. Easteros bunny
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Hell yes!! Tycho Nestoris bitches!!

My favorite character from the books! He is totally gonna stir some shit up in westeros!

A vital character to the story has been cast! Fans can rejoice!

172. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I didn’t see it.

Okay just looked, still don’t see it. I dislike that word, reminds me
    of ” narc ” *>*

173. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Lex,

( :

174. WildSeed
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I’m not being obtuse here, but images of Luna Lovegood also comes to mind ( :

175. Braincandy
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

I have a feeling he is not minor. I think debt collection will not be a pretty affair.

Posted September 8, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber:
    Lex,

Yup. :)

177. Eleanor
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

FASCINATING! Can’t wait to see where this takes the character.

178. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Kevin: Wun Wun = 11 = Phil Simms’ number

179. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: Hodor’s Bastard, I didn’t see it.Okay just looked, still don’t see it. I dislike that word, reminds meof ” narc ” *>*

Last paragraph…OitF comment.

180. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber: Lex, Is that really true? Because if it is this Giants fan, currently watching one of the lamest Giants-Cowboys tilts in history, finds that just delicious.

Hope you haven’t disturbed your slumber to watch the end of the NYG-DC game….ugggh…it’s bad for the Giants. [If only they could have played this way during their SBs with the Pats.]

On a related note…GRRM may kill a few more major characters off after this one. Yikes!

Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: You and Lex are hilarious with the “Giants” inside-joke references in ASoI&F. Where did you get that stuff? Are they from a Westeros thread or did GRRM come out with it?

182. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: Hodor’s Bastard: I’m not being obtuse here, but images of Luna Lovegood also comes to mind ( :

I’m not exactly sure of the significance of the LL reference but since you mention my favorite porn star…er…I mean…Harry Potter character…I only have one thing to say: Damn Rolf Scamander! Damn you, man! She was my dream….!

(tmi?)

183. WildSeed
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Thanks. I admit skipping that paragraph, however read the three above.

I’m also a bit exhausted after watching the tense drama unfolding on
    ” Breaking Bad “. It’s ironic that that word ” snark ” appears to be
    showing up, of late, with alarming frequency. Maybe Luna* is on
    to something. You got a wand handy ?

* Luna was always pointing out the presence of snarks (?)
    to Harry. There isn’t a relationship of the slang commonly
    used ( outside of Potter world ), just a coincidence ( :

184. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Lex: GRRM admitted it somewhere, can’t remember where. There are also many other references in the books (a reference to football player Bill Belichick, as well as multiple references to Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time, other authors like H.P. Lovecraft and Jack Vance, and even a supposed reference to the Three Stooges somewhere in the first book).

I absolutely enjoy anecdotes like that. Thx!

185. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 12:02 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Hope you haven’t disturbed your slumber to watch the end ofthe NYG-DC game….ugggh…it’s bad for the Giants. [If only they could have played this way during their SBs with the Pats.]

more than likely he’d introduce a new character named Eli just to kill him.

186. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 12:04 am | Permalink

WildSeed: Hodor’s Bastard You got a wand handy ?

Do you really want me to answer that question? ;-))

(Where’s Rygar when we need him?)

187. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 12:20 am | Permalink

WildSeed: Hodor’s Bastard, * Luna was always pointing out the presence of snarks (?)to Harry. There isn’t a relationship of the slang commonlyused ( outside of Potter world ), just a coincidence ( :

Hah! How did I forget that? Thx.

188. WildSeed
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I had to check my book, filed away….. but I discovered the term ( or the correct
    term anyway ) SNORKACK. This is what I meant. Apparently I misremembered.
    I prefer SNARK , nonetheless.

189. GeekFurious
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Kevin:
    He has said that he has been a fan of both teams since they were in separate leagues (Giants in NFL, Jets in AFL).The leagues merged, and he stayed loyal to both.As for who he roots for when they go head-head, I would guess it depends who would benefit more with a win

Nope. Giants. Always Giants.

190. Mike
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 12:47 am | Permalink

The Blue Grace she’s [Gillian Anderson's] done a lot of acting in the UK (Bleak House most recently).

FALSE! You should watch the Fall, which is a five episode series that came out this year (and has been picked up for a second season). It’s on Netflix and it is excellent.

191. GeekFurious
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber: more than likely he’d introduce a new character named Eli just to kill him.

George loves Eli. The man delivered 2 championships in spectacular ways.

192. Broken Wolf
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 1:09 am | Permalink

So what… about… COLDHANDS AND BELWAS??? THEY HAVE TO BE IN THIS SHOW!! THEY ARE THE MOST BADASS CHARACTERS IN THE ENTIRE SERIES!! COLDHANDS MAKES TYWIN LANNISTER LOOK LIKE RICKON STARK!! THEY HAVE TO BE IN THIS SHOW!!!! P.S. I’ve never seen Mark Gatiss in anything, but I’m sure he’ll be pretty good.

193. Chickenduck
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Wow. Well, I didn’t know about the Giants references, but then I don’t really know much about American Football!!

I DID get some of the Robert Jordan references though. E.g. House Jordayne of the Tor, a noble house from Dorne, whose seat is the Tor (the name of Robert Jordan’s publisher), whose current head is Lord Trebor (Robert backwards), whose sigil is a writing quill, and whose words are “Let It Be Written”.

Maybe there are more that stand out to those who’ve read Jordan’s novels…

194. Chickenduck
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 1:43 am | Permalink

Broken Wolf:

Coldhands matters. Belwas doesn’t.

Belwas might be a fan favourite and all, but he doesn’t do anything another character couldn’t. Plus personally I don’t like him that much… He’s too much of a comic brown sidekick stereotype, who slaps his belly and says one-liners, without any real impact besides winning a fight (which can be done by Daario or Selmy) and taking a shit (which probably isn’t neccesary in the show) and later being almost poisoned (could be done by someone else… Maybe Daario or some other mercenary with a taste for locusts could do it). Realistically two separate events that he’s needed for in the narrative, both of which are transferrable to other characters.

Although I guess it’s possible they’ll include Belwas just as fan service… He could show up in a fighting pit in Meereen or something.

195. Maginor
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Boojam: Boojam

There are banks mentioned in the Wheel of Time series as well, but they don’t play a big role.

196. Turncloak
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 2:09 am | Permalink

Pedro Pascal is up to 34% for best casting addition :]. He will end up surpassing Indira Varma soon

197. Lazlo Woodbine
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Fantastic! I can really see him in the role!

Nestoris may only have a small role in the books so far, but he strikes me as someone who will become more important in the last two novels. I really like his appearances. They were some of the highlights of WoW.

I wonder if his early appearance means we’ll see him in King’s Landing. I can imagine some interesting scenes with Cersei, should the producers deem to pad his story a bit.

198. Maginor
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 3:10 am | Permalink

I see a few possibilities. He may for instance start in Kings Landing, then dock in Saltpans on the way back, and be the ship that takes Arya to Braavos. This would establish a connection between them. I think they will have a “buisiness agreement” in later books, so it would be fitting if they had met already. I’m also guessing that he will be the one to take Sam to Braavos in the next season after negotiating with Stannis.

199. Pepi
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Book 5 spoiler, but GRRM had a bet of sorts with his friend Patrick something, who is a Dallas Cowboys fan, about a match Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Giants (Martin’s team). Iirc, GRRM lost and therefor included a character Ser Patrek of King’s Mountain in book 5, whose sigil is a blue five pointed star (Cowboys logo). The character then gets killed by a Giant. This one’s pretty well known, but just in case. :D

200. Chickenduck
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 3:53 am | Permalink

Pepi,

Thanks Pepi :)

I had no idea. As said, the NFL is not my field of expertise and I hadn’t read much about GRRM’s footballing interests (except for a bunch of posts about the Jets).

201. GG
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Wow. I didn’t even consider this. I can see it working though.

202. Chickenduck
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Pepi:
    Chickenduck,

Haha… Just googled it and read the story as told by GRRM. The guy’s name is Patrick and he comes from Montreal. In French, Montreal roughly means “Royal Mountain” or at a stretch “King’s Mountain”… and so the character in the book is Ser Patrek of King’s Mountain. His sigil is the Dallas Cowboys logo and he’s killed by a Giant.

That’s pretty cool!

203. OldeCrone
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:29 am | Permalink

I have to admit I really don’t know much about the word “snark”. I know that Lewis Carroll [who wrote 'Alice in Wonderland'] wrote a nonsense poem called “The Hunting of the Snark”. I’ve never read any Harry Potter novels – too long in the tooth for that. I used to think it was perhaps an amalgamation of two British slang words “nark” – as in to be “narked” means annoyed or a “copper’s nark” is a policeman’s stool-pigeon (though “grass” might be used more than “nark” these days) and “sarky” – a short form of “sarcastic”. But that’s just my surmising and I might be wrong. Now was there a Bank of Toytown in the Noddy books by Enid Blyton ……????

204. AdrianPietro
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:40 am | Permalink

I’m still thinking he would’ve been great as Mace Tyrell

205. Chickenduck
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:44 am | Permalink

OldeCrone:
    I’ve never read any Harry Potter novels – too long in the tooth for that.

Nah, there’s no being too old for Potter. I can introduce you to plenty of 50-60+ people who eagerly awaited ever Potter novel as it came out.

Harry Potter – the books that got a generation of adults reading again…

206. Jentario
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Coldhands will be Ian Whyte. I called it.

207. Jentario
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:50 am | Permalink

AdrianPietro:
    I’m still thinking he would’ve been great as Mace Tyrell

He’s not fat and the character doesn’t posses the actor’s charisma. It would have been wasted talent, and the guy they castes is much more apropriate for the role (being fat).

208. Pau
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Boojam:
    Jess,

Interesting, never heard of Daniel Abraham’s Dagger and Coin Quintet.
    Well is there an insurance agent?
    George has one of those, never seen one in a fantasy story.

She is both a banker and an insurance agent in The Dagger and the Coin…

Also, a bank plays a HUGE role in Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself trilogy and sub-sequent stand-alones

And if I recall correctly Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser rob a bank or two during their adventures…plus Locke Lamora, who’s been compared to a bank robber more than once ;)

Furthermore, money-lenders appear in many fantasy worlds, for example in Rothfuss Kingkiller’s, Hobb’s Liveship Traders, Sapkowski The Witcher and countless more ;)

209. Ser Tahu
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Off-topic:

{Begin rant}
    CAN EVERYONE PLEASE SHUT UP ABOUT BELWAS!!! He was one of the worst written and one dimensional characters in the books, would have translated even worse to the tv screen and is confirmed to be cut from the show entirely. Oh, and he did NOTHING that could not only be given to other characters, but that the show wouldn’t directly benefit from giving to other characters.
    {End rant}

210. Carne
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Jentario,

Or Ross “White Walker” Mullan who’s also back for season 4.

211. arden
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

How many times are you gonna do that Belwas rant? second time I’ve seen it atleast.

People like Belwas, why do you care??

212. OldeCrone
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Maybe it would be different if I had children or grandchildren —- a couple of the films have been on British TV recently and I did sort of dip in and out of them – as in had them on in the background while I was doing other things. I’ll own up to thinking at first that Septimus Snape was played by Ciaron Hinds but it was another actor entirely. I’ve always been a reader though I do less now than when I was a young ‘un and it’s mostly “whodunnits” but hats off to J K Rowling (and G R R Martin) for inspiring people to read.

213. Boojam
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Pau: She is both a banker and an insurance agent in The Dagger and the Coin…

Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser I do know. Had forgotten that one.
    (Those stories were written starting 1940 and going to the 1980′s!)
    Talk about an ‘off center’ sword and sorcery fantasy … man! if people like ASoIa F …Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser would make a great visual drama , if done right!
    Which is always a problem.

214. Ser Tahu
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:32 am | Permalink

arden,
    Because it gets really annoying seeing people try and elevate him to the same level of importance as Coldhands, the Greyjoy brothers and the Martells, or even Brown Ben Plumm.

215. Mormegil
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Lex: and even a supposed reference to the Three Stooges somewhere in the first book

Lharys, Mohor, and Kurleket. Three of the men who help Cat take Tyrion to the Vale.

216. Roekest
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Hollyoak:
    How do people even remember these minor characters from the book?

Because in the grand scheme of things Nestoris is not a minor character. Remember how Ned freaks out when he hears about how much the Iron Throne is in debt? He agrees to back Stannis financially in the war when Cersei refuses/ignores repayment of their debt. Wars cost money and Stannis needs a lot of money. He also agrees to help out the Night’s Watch because they’re running low on food

217. Pau
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Boojam: Have not read much fantasy in the last 25 years so those are all obscure to me except one.
    Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser I do know. Had forgotten that one.
    (Those stories were written starting 1940 and going to the 1980′s!)
    Which is always a problem.

I love those books! Read them in my teens, so over 20+ years ago…

Have you read Mike Mignola’s&Howard Chaykin’s graphic novel about them??

218. Rygar
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    arden,

I wonder if Belwas still has his Kraken when he lost his bags of coin?

219. Joshua Atreides
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

How about Archmaester Rigney (the real name of Jordan) and his “wheel” re: A Feast for Crows.

220. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:31 am | Permalink

GeekFurious: George loves Eli. The man delivered 2 championships in spectacular ways.

He did at that, and then he plays like he did last night, and looks like a rookie. To be fair, the entire team stunk.

221. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    arden,

Agreed. The only interesting thing about him is that his “squire” is a 60-year-old man who happens to have been head of the Kingsguard.

He’s not even on the level of Brown Ben, as said, or even Moqorro, Bowen Marsh, or Wyman Manderly.

222. Noob Takes the Black
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

I think this makes sense. As other people have noted, it makes his appearance in the North more important in the narrative, but D&D need to start setting up some of the pieces for Cersei’s rather disastrous rule as Queen Regent to Tommen. With so many other players gone from the KL in one way or another – Tyrion and Tywin, Littlefinger and Sansa – Cersei needs something to do in KL in Season 5. I expect will get more of the Grand Septon as well.

223. caliquenor
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Coldhands could be replaced by Jojen on the guiding part beyond the Wall (via his dreams) and Hodor could kill some more wights before meeting the COTF, I don’t really see a problem there. That would end all the speculation about book Coldhands (being Benjen for instance…)

224. Loki
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:52 am | Permalink

caliquenor, replacing coldhands with hodor is the same thing as replacing oberyn with loras

225. caliquenor
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Loki,

It is not something I would like, all I am saying is that D&D can do it, they cut quite lightly sometimes…

226. The Kingshaver
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Nestoris’ sudden appearance at the Wall absolutely needs to be foreshadowed. Without some kind of scene where the Crown’s debts are discussed, the Nestoris scenes at the Wall will seem forced. Sure, they could just mention the debts in dialogue, but it seems a much better idea to have a memorable actor like Gatiss create an impression on viewers, so they’ll remember him when he shows up again.

227. Jentario
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Carne,

Also possible, but I bet they’d give Whyte the role since his Mountain was shunned aside.

228. Mullendore's Monkey
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Mark Gatiss will be excellent for this role. His bit-part in the awesome series Spaced, in which he played an ‘agent’ (á la Matrix, but with a dash of Kraftwerk), as well as his many roles in the disturbing tour de force that was The League of Gentlemen, speak for his ability to appear threatening without being physical, and while remaining entirely polite and unflustered. Just what Nestoris needs. Incidentally, Clive Russell (Blackfish) was also in Spaced, he played the part of a comic-book industry mogul (!). Anyone who hasn’t seen Spaced should (see Spaced).

229. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

The Kingshaver:

230. Roekest
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

caliquenor:
    Chickenduck,

The identity of that person mentioned above has almost already been confirmed. It’s in the Song of Ice and Fire wiki.

231. Roekest
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber: Well said. Am I the only one who thinks, given GRRM’s penchant for throwing curveballs, that Stannis is reasonably well positioned here at the end of DwD, save for the niggling bit about him being trapped under mountains of snow?

Sure, if the series were ultimately about the game of thrones. Instead, it’s about 2 opposing forces, one represented by Ice, the other by Fire. Whether it’s about good vs. evil though, is debatable. Moral ambiguity is the rule in this series; not the exception.

232. dio westeros
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Kilgore Tully: Braavos most resembles Venice and it’s known for cocksure duelists using rapier-esque swords. Where are people getting that its people are non-white?

Tycho Nestoris is a greek name. Tycho was a greek saint. Not sure why people are questioning race here…

233. Loki
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

dio westeros: Tycho was a greek saint.

As was Nestor.
    thinking of names for fantasy characters is easier than it looks.

234. Al Swearengen
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I still would have prefered Gatiss to play Mace Tyrell but at least he’s now a part of the show.

235. WildSeed
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Hah! How did I forget that? Thx.

There is also the frequent joke about Brothers at the Wall seeing ” Snarks
    and Grumpkins ” . See there, nothing good comes from SNARK ( :

236. WildSeed
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck: Coldhands actually has a supernatural element that can’t really be transferred to another character, unless they majorly rewrite Bran’s journey (which is possible I suppose).

This is a reasonable assertion, and I hope the production perceives this as
    essential, however the Supernatural elements have been reduced , since S2.

I would welcome a fresh take on the supernatural forces, that GRRM wrote
    of, but GoT has decided thus far, of Rh’llor and Dragons, exclusively. That
    doesn’t mean GreenSeer or additional Warging is off the table, but I’ve
    cautioned myself to not anticipate these. I once considered the DireWolves
    as an essential element, throughout ASOIAF, yet Game of Thrones does not.

237. WildSeed
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

dio westeros,

Kilgore raises a valid point, especially since the Greek diaspora is as complicated
    as any civilasation. To add, one person that raises comment, does not constitute
    a loud voice from ” people “.

238. WildSeed
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

This is pretty cool to know of…… GRRM is a trickster……..

I ‘m familiar only with Rugby, but I understand the concepts are similar.

239. Astonished
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Kilgore Tully: Asia

In the old age black was not counted fair,
    Or if it were it bore not beauty’s name;
    But now is black beauty’s successive heir,
    And beauty slandered with a bastard shame,
    For since each hand hath put on nature’s power,
    Fairing the foul with art’s false borrowed face,
    Sweet beauty hath no name, no holy bower,
    But is profaned, if not lives in disgrace.
    Therefore my mistress’ eyes are raven black,
    Her eyes so suited, and they mourners seem
    At such who, not born fair, no beauty lack,
    Slandering creation with a false esteem:
    Yet so they mourn, becoming of their woe,
    That every tongue says beauty should look so.
    –Sonnet 127 by Shakespeare

I’m turning Japanese I think I’m turning Japanese I really think so.
    –The Vapors

240. Nick Larter
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 7:18 am | Permalink

Just to be clear on the Iron Bank plotline (and I apologise if this is anywhere above – had a quick scan through and couldn’t see it). An unnamed? banker shows up in ACOK and has ‘offpage’ meetings. Noho Dimittis shows up in AFFC and gets short shrift from Cersei, then we get Tycho Nestoris in ADWD.

Clearly HBO Tycho is going to be an amalgamation of all three. As to this plotline being brought forwards – it isn’t. It began in the second book. S4 is an entirely appropriate point for the show to introduce it.

Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Nick Larter,

Well put, I fully agree.

242. The Blue Grace
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Mike,

thanks for The Fall rec! Definitely checking that out.

243. Curt Shannon
    Posted September 12, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Caravaggio,

I was hoping MG was going to play the Kindly Man for the same reason.

1. […] Guy who is going to be on GoT and whose role they’ve been cagey about is Tycho Nestoris! And congrats to him, because he’ll get to hang out with at least half of the Dragonstone […]

2. […] to the cast of Game of Thrones, but up until now who he was playing was a mystery.  Thanks to WinterIsComing.net who discovered that Gatiss’ CV online lists the name of the his Thrones character– […]

3. […] finally over, Mark Gatiss’s role for Game of Thrones season 4 has been officially announced.  WinterIscoming was the first to spot the update on Gatiss’s CV, stating that Gatiss will be taking on the role […]

4. […] Winteriscoming.net broke the news today that Mark will be playing Tycho Nestoris, a representative of the Iron Bank of Braavos. His description as ‘a tall, gaunt stick of a man with long legs and a beard as thin as a rope from his chin and almost reaching his waist’ sounds like Gatiss. I can’t wait to see what that beard looks like on him. […]

5. […] S-a dezvăluit oficial rolul pe care îl va juca Mark Gatiss în noul sezon Game of Thrones. Actorul și creatorul Sherlock va intra în pielea lui Tycho Nestoris, un reprezentant al Iron Bank of Braavos. Sursa […]

6. […] Source: Comic Book Resources, WinterIsComing.net, […]

7. […] to Winter Is Coming, Gatiss will play banker Tycho Nestoris, a representative of the Iron Bank of Braavos. Many […]