First look at the new Daario
By Ours is the Fury on in Filming.

daario

Photos of Game of Thrones filming at the Klis Fortress in Croatia turned up online today, giving fans a sneak peek at Michiel Huisman as Daario Naharis. This is the first time the actor has been seen in costume as the Tyroshi sellsword since his casting leaked a month ago. It appears as though Huisman will be keeping his beard, and foregoing the long blond wig that was part of Ed Skrein’s look when he played the role.

Joining him at the shooting location were costars Emilia Clarke, Nathalie Emmanuel and Ian McElhinney, seen in the photos below.

daariobarristan

emilia

emiliaetc

missandei

Ours is the Fury: The costuming is simpler as well but that might have something to do with the scene- it’s hard to say without knowing the exact context. As for the look, it’s surprising they’re embracing such a radically different Daario. But since people will know it’s a recast anyway, why not? Daario’s blond and braided ‘do was widely criticized so I guess they’re starting fresh. I like the decision.

1. Ingvar
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Hodor!

EDIT: He looks a bit like Jaime in the first picture.

2. Dolorous Ned
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Hot Pie

3. fatninja
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

4. Atomix
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Ian McElhinney’s looking a little thick around the middle in that there shot. Otherwise – God so much better Daario. Still no blue streak in his hair like a Punk Rock Girl. tho.

5. Jordan
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I wonder if he’s in disguise during that instance. I remember when there were the first shots of Daario1 in Unsullied armor people had wondered about that- and sure enough it turned out to be a disguise.

Similarly, would explain his sort of ragged clothing here.

As for the hair- maybe they’ll say he either dyed it before or is doing so now.

6. Carne
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Jordan,

Would make sense. Even with a recast I doubt they’d go for such a drastic change.

7. Abyss
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I like the new look too. Way better than the old one imo. But I will also say, that it really seems odd to me to change the look so radically. My hope is that they will explain the new look in some way. Not easy to do or very likely to happen, but not impossible. The new Daario could kill the old Daario (off screen) and fill out his part in the story for example. I mean, is it for shure that Michiel Huisman name will be Daario in the series? Maybe the source only knew that he was cast in the role of Daario in place of Ed Skrein…

Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I like Huisman and his looks, but dislike the confusing physical changes, jarring for the viewers. Still hoping for some more continuity.

9. GeekFurious
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Minus the blue, he looks a lot more like the guy I pictured in the book.

10. Hi-Fi
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

He looks great. I don’t know what they were thinking with that wig last season.

11. Patchy Face
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Could it be that he is not in full costume? Maybe has more hair work that is not shown here.

12. Nerd
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Even from a distance Emilia’s wig looks better than the old one.

13. Isolde
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

He looks great, much closer to the description in the books, but it still confuses me that he looks so very different from S3 Daario. I’m curious to see how they will explain this drastic change of appearance in the show. It’s difficult enough for the viewer to get used to a new actor playing the same character… but even more so when he looks entirely different, but is still supposed to be the same character… it’s very confusing.

14. House Mormont
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

This looks like it’ll be really confusing for the casuals, but atleast they ditched the Margaery Tyrell season 2 wig and new Daario looks pretty god

Do you think Dany will be wearing a tokar this season?

15. RouviB
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

now that´s how i always imagined daario to look like! somehow like hector from troy but more in rags and somehow wilder!

16. Jordan
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Isolde,

“Btw, has there any reason given by now WHY Ed Skrein got replaced? I find it odd that they never explained the recasting (as far as I know).”

I would assume lack of acting talent…

17. Abyss
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Isolde,

It is not odd. In fact, things like that almost never get explained. The best you can usually get is something along the lines of “They wanted to go in a different direction.” or “Something private turned up.”

18. Kyle
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

It honestly looks like Daario and Barristan’s costumes aren’t complete. Perhaps that includes Daario’s hair? On the other hand, Daenerys and Missandei’s costumes look quite finished. Hmm.

19. Maxwell James
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Did someone make Todd Solondz the new showrunner while I wasn’t paying attention?

Seriously, unless he’s about to get a shave & a wig put on, this makes no sense. The showrunners have recast roles before but have always gone out of their way to maintain visual continuity. Bizarre.

20. Buttercups
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Wait, so who’s the guy in green dress (ha!) or green costume in the 3rd pic?

21. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

You can see that Emilia’s wig is in place and everyone is in full costume and makeup. If he were wearing a wig, I think he’d be in it, and they wouldn’t be able to just yank it off at the Klis fortress. These are very expensive pieces, and with his long (real) hair, the wig would have to be pinned on and taken off just so. It looks like their base is down below somewhere. I’m guessing their trailers are at the foot of that hill. So while it’s possible he wears a wig, I think it’s very unlikely- plus he’s kept his normal beard.

Barristan’s costume looks complete to me- that’s his normal clothing, without a cloak. Plus Ian’s glasses.

22. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I’m drawn to the last pic. Ms. Legs and Missandei!

23. Jordan
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Had a thought/suggestion- the new costume looks more like the dress of the Dothraki as well as that adopted by Barristan. Granted, it also looks like the kind of thing someone from the Free Cities would wear (compare Syrio).

So, you could say that Dany had him change his dress as a gesture of loyalty.

Then, perhaps you could have it that he fights the Yunkai champion and after killing him, swipes his (flamboyant) cloak.

24. That Stark boy
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    … and new Daario looks pretty god

Hmmm…. I see what you did there.

House Mormont:

Do you think Dany will be wearing a tokar this season?

No please…

25. Robar
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

When will Barristan finally get some armour?

26. Matt
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

I’m gonna be downright pissed if David and Dan are too lazy to come up with a creative explanation as for why Daario’s look has changed so drastically. He was featured HEAVILY in the last couple episodes of Season 3, he wasn’t simply a background character easy to replace without anybody noticing.

27. mariamb
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

I’m inclined to think that it is Daario’s complete costume. Since Emilia is wearing her wig, I would expect that if New Daario had a wig, Michiel would be wearing it.

I, too, am suprised at how different New Daario is. But, as mentioned above, if you have recast the role, why not go for a completely different look…especially since no one liked the “old look.” Interesting to see how this will be explained to uninformed viewers.

28. Abyss
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Robar,

Silly you. He dosen’t need armor. He is Barristan Selmy.

29. Easteros bunny
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I don’t like this decision.

The character will loose from a recast. Sure, to super fans like us we will know who he is but the casual fan may get confused. Especially if he has a new look.

It’s the same thing with the mountain. My good friend who hasn’t read the book or keep up with the behind the scenes had no clue that that was the mountain in season 2.

Recasts can damage a character

30. Davidbc
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait for people to see how good of an actor the new Daario is… Everyone on her is going to be like “Ed Skein who?”

Also, visual continuity is for children… if you can’t understand that a character was simply recast than you shouldn’t be watching HBO.

31. WildSeed
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:

bannermen like Gregor Clegane or GoT Extras. Anyone closely monitoring the
    once-pretty-face- character would notice, however the actor’s ability to perform
    the role may supersede any initial awkwardness. It’s probably wise to wait and
    assess the script and portrayal of Daario, a different direction may prove a benefit.

If Ours is the Fury had not pointed out the new actor for Naharis’s role, he would
    have blended in as others pictured. The pics are awesome, btw, thanks for posting !

32. zzz
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Selmy is lookin a little thick in tht picture

33. WildSeed
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

This is odd, from our perspective, and queried everywhere on that point.
    Let’s just hope that Huisman rises to the occasion, and the production
    has a well thought out plan.

34. Abyss
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Davidbc: Also, visual continuity is for children…

35. Starfish
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

What I don’t understand is why D&D didn’t just rename Huisman’s character instead of keeping with Daario. He could kill off the old Daario offscreen and pick things up where we left off. A little abrupt, I know but it’s easier than trying to adjust to such a drastic and obvious change. But HEY, that’s just my two-cents.

Btw, Emilia looks gorgeous, as usual <3

36. mariamb
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

It is odd but its really the initial impression that will matter. Once the viewers realize that the role has been recast, everyone will move on. There may be confusion at first (we’re confused right now about why this happened) but it won’t last.

I think that Michiel Huisman can handle the role and I think (hope) he will ease the concerns that many had about Ed Skrien’s interpretation of the role.

37. Ren Snow
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Is the guy in the green “TV tokar” Hizdahr?

38. TheImp'sNose
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

It was already established last season that show Daario is a Bravosi- the coin, his manner of speaking (so close to Jaquen H’ghar’s…”lovely girl”, etc.)- why not take advantage of that?

I feel it would be a missed opportunity to not simply have show Daario tell Dany he had to change his face upon joining her permanently for his own reasons. I mean, the trick has been established in the show w/ Jaquen, whom we may never see again in the series for all we know.

39. WildSeed
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Abyss: I am sorry, but I have to disagree here. Film is a visual medium. Of cause visual continuity is important.

True, and for non obsessed fans not following the production as closely as we
    have, here, the actor would easily be overlooked as a new role. Ed Skrein’s
    absence could easily be explained a needed hiatus similar to Hinds’s
    Mance character. There would likely be some anticipation of Skrein’s
    pretty hair and face, as we once awaited Selmy’s reappearance.

I’m trying to remained focus on the production as it evolves, and appreciate
    the effort, even as it sputters. This ride is different from the well traveled
    book’s conception of details , as any adaptive work may demonstrate. The key
    remains with high merits for the script direction with demonstrable acting
    strengths and the flow or continuity of events. After 3 seasons, the production
    remains evolving at this point. Stay tuned. *U*

So the next book is due , when ? Preorders yet ? ( :

40. DH87
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

This recast discussion reminds me of the days when long-running U.S. soap operas would have a solemn announcer in a voice-over at the beginning of an episode intone, “The part of Daario Naharis is now being played by Michiel Huisman.” Perhaps D&D could do the same for an episode or two for the casuals?

41. Bunny Way
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Buttercups:
    Wait, so who’s the guy in green dress (ha!) or green costume in the 3rd pic?

That’s Littlefinkhazz.

42. WildSeed
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

DH87:

*U* —> ( :

Admit it, those observances were nerve wracking and
    frustrating, sort of like substitute teachers were ….

43. Jordan
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Possible Danaerys dialogue for new season:

“Oh Missandei, Daario is so hot, especially now that he washed that blond dye out of his hair and grew a beard.”

Problem solved.

44. Tereeza 777
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

I like him – he looks messy and messy is sexy. He sounds cool speaking Dutch and he’s tall and he has a nice chest. Dany sure is lucky – one doll after another.

45. Melody Pond
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Jordan:
    Isolde,

I would assume lack of acting talent…

LOL definitely. His look also wasn’t right for the show and I like that Michiel Huisman looks a lot more rough around the edges; it’s what is needed for the role.

46. Joshua Atreides
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Easteros bunny,

So much for the greatest show in pop culture….

47. sjwenings
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

I suppose they just really wanted a hearthrob and went with a more typical hollywood-look for him, continuity be damned.

48. WildSeed
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Melody Pond: His look also wasn’t right for the show and I like that Michiel Huisman looks a lot more rough around the edges; it’s what is needed for the role.

No argument there , definitely my original assessment for S3.

49. DH87
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: Admit it, those observances were nerve wracking and
    frustrating, sort of like substitute teachers were ….

Agreed! Although the great longevity of those shows required some leeway (with the exception of some of the stalwarts, such as the lovely Mary Stuart, who played Joanne Tate on Search for Tomorrow for 35 years).

50. Lavignac
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Emilia Clarke seems to be in a great mood on those pics…

51. DH87
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: They could at least introduce him next season, in a scene getting a haircut. …and dye…. and “oh, yeah, I’m growing a beard, Khaleesi – you like it?”

I like this idea! Or, “Did you know the Tyroshi invented something we call plastic surgery? Part of the rite of manhood among my people.”

52. Abyss
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

TheImp’sNose,

The more I think about your idea, the more I like it. In fact, I really hope they do it that way. Game of Thrones, despite all its realism, is a fantasy series. It has fantastical elements to it. They can use them to their benefit.

53. TheNorthRemembers
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Is it possible that they’ll have him be a Faceless Man? I haven’t read past the third book, so I know nothing, but from what I know so far it wouldn’t be a drastic thing to do – no more so than having him look totally different without a reason, anyhow.

54. Team Pod
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

I understand this will be jarring at first BUT just run with it ! He is a far closer fit to the book Dario than the catalogue model we got in season 3 !

And to the guy who suggested that the writers solve the problem by turning Dario into ‘ a Faceless man ‘ your Game of Thrones fan card has been revoked !

55. GeekFurious
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

I sent a friend a link to just the pic and then said it was a shot of Dany and her Daario from season 4. He’s one of those people who didn’t even notice The Mountain in season 2 so I figure he is as good a test for how the general audience will react to this change.

His reaction?

“He cut his hair.”

56. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

TheImp’sNose,

Agree with this, and really wouldn’t mind at all if they went this route. The scene with the coin that you mentioned, and the connection that casual fans made between Daario and Jaqen through the phrase “Valar Morghulis” might be enough to sell it, in terms of it being properly set-up. And it would make the transition a lot smoother for viewers, I think.

57. Abyss
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Team Pod,

Honest question: Why? What would be so terrible about it? TheImp’sNose, had some pretty good points and it wouldn’t be “deus ex machina” in a world like the one of A Song of Ice and Fire.

58. lost northern
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

humans can adapt to changes and that’s all i want to say

59. Team Pod
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

While the imps nose reasoning is sound ! I just feel you carnt start changeing the characters from the book to the show to the exstent that they become completely Different characters making Dario ‘ a Faceless man ‘ is essentially inventing a new character to the point Dario no longer exists ! And Dario must remain who he is as he has a role to play in Danys and Jorahs arcs !

So while I respect the imagination behind the idea , it’s just to BIGGER change to make !

60. Rygar
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

maybe he just hasn’t made it to hair and makeup yet for his wig fitting?

61. Turncloak
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Awful. Looks like a hobo

62. Turncloak
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Jordan:
    Isolde,

I would assume lack of acting talent…

Then why cast Ed Skrein in the 1st place? The casting dept did a poor job here

63. Turncloak
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

I hope the new Daario does an excellent job and looking forward to his portrayal. However, I’m disapointed that they had to resort to this instead of just casting him right to begin with

64. Cary Storm
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Why the hell does he look homeless? WTF?

65. Rygar
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

From what I remember Ed is balding so a wig was necessary to make him “attractive”.

66. Cary Storm
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Ed Skrein had one thing going for him as Daario. He was vain. This guy looks like he slept in his clothes and hasn’t changed them for months.

67. Cary Storm
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Jorah is curiously absent from these pics. Sewers anyone?

68. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James:

I’m just replying to this because the Palindromes reference made me happy.

69. Rygar
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Happiness is my fav

70. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

New Daario is pretty hot. I think I can live with this change. All that has to happen is that the writers need to have made sure the other characters clearly address him as Daario in his first episode. That way the people who remembered the character will know he’s been recast.

Some viewers think Daenerys is named Khaleesi or Dragon Lady, so many people might not even notice the recast.

71. Abyss
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Team Pod,

Compared to where the show went with Xaro Xhoan Daxos (and I personally had no problem with it) making Daario a Faceless Man dosen’t seem that much of a deal to me.
    What would really change if they make Daario a Faceless Man when it come to his character?

He would still be a warrior. He could still be self-confident and cheeky. He could still have the hots for Dany.

And as for why he is running around with a sellsword armee and likely not getting his orders from the Kindly Man like a proper little Faceless Man. – Why was Jaqen H’ghar running around in Westeros killing dudes for little girls? ;-)

72. Jon
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Cool! he was great in Nashville will had a touch more Gravitas than the other Daario :).

73. Steven
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Turncloak: Then why cast Ed Skrein in the 1st place? The casting dept did a poor job here

Yeah, pretty sure they’re aware of that. Their track record’s still pretty darn good though.

74. Skyofwelkup
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Gross.

75. Steven
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Abyss:
    Team Pod,

He would still be a warrior. He could still self-confident and cheeky. He could still have the hots for Dany.

BOOK SPOILER And as for why he is running around with a sellsword armee and likelynot getting his orders from the Kindly Man like a proper little Faceless Man. – Why was Jaqen H’ghar running around in Westeros killing dudes for little girls? ;-)

Being a Faceless Man is more than just being some badass dude who can change his face, it’s basically being a high up member of a religious order, and, like was mentioned above, making Daario one would be completely altering the nature of his character.

As for your spoiler, who knows? Still waiting for the answers to that.

76. Abyss
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Steven,

Of course being a FM is more than being a warrior, but it includes it. All that matters for the part of Daario is that FM can fight.

As for the spoiler part. You answered it yourself. We are still waiting for the answer to that. I have no problem doing the same when it comes to Daarios actions. We might even get the answer in the show.

77. Maxwell James
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

TheImp’sNose: This look- short dark hair, dark beard, no daggers- is almost certainly deliberate in it’s difference from Ed’s look in season 3.

This, exactly. It’s not just that he has dark hair and a beard. Its that he looks nothing at all like the character he is purportedly playing.

C’mon folks, this is really weird. Since they just recast Gregor again and went out of their way to make him look like his predecessor, it’s not as if everyone on the production suddenly forgot about continuity. I can imagine a few reasonable possibilities:

1) He’s not actually playing Daario, and the announcement was to lead readers astray.
    2) He is playing Daario, Daario is a Faceless Man, and the series is about to start seriously diverging from/advancing beyond the books in important ways.
    3) Michiel Huisman is a total prima donna who just absolutely, positively refused to shave or wear a wig, or even dress like the character he’s playing. But he’s so amazing that D&D just had to cast him anyway.
    4) D&D really have decided to go all Bunuel on the production – which I would personally find awesome but would probably be the death of it.
    5) This was just after the initial costume fitting & he really is on his way to get a shave.

OK, so not all of those are reasonable.

78. Maxwell James
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Davidbc: Also, visual continuity is for children…

Don’t be silly – haven’t you ever seen “Duck Amuck?” Kids love surrealism and have no need for continuity whatsoever.

79. Darkstar
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

fatninja: They had better grow that beard even more because he looks nothing like Ed Skrien.

Thank the Gods!

80. Nezzer
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Jordan:
    Isolde,

I would assume lack of acting talent…

81. Turncloak
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Hope we don’t have to wait too long for a trailer. The season 3 trailer took forever to arrive :/

82. Ser Tahu
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Because screw continuity.

83. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Nezzer: Ed Skrein is shooting for “Northmen – A Viking Saga”. Seems like a schedule issue.

The thing is, they know that Daario is a multi-season character. I would think that they would lock him into a long-term contract when he signed on. He wasn’t a minor character like the Greatjon (or even Gregor) that was only in a couple episodes and could slip away because he was only signed on for those few episodes, and they didn’t know if GoT would last beyond the first season. At this point, they definitely knew they needed to keep Ed for years. So the idea of a scheduling issue just doesn’t sit right with me. There’s some weirdness going on.

84. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I think I’m the only one. But I lles the old daario. In my head he acted the way daario from the books acted, maybe with a little less machismo. But he had the right amount if swag. The wrong look though. Hopefully this guys brings everything the last daario brought plus a little more, machismo I guess. I Realtor can’t think of another word right now otherwise id use that instead. I’m not really digging the look though.

85. Nezzer
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: The thing is, they know that Daario is a multi-season character. I would think that they would lock him into a long-term contract when he signed on. He wasn’t a minor character like the Greatjon (or even Gregor) that could was only in a couple episodes and could slip away because he was only signed on for those few episodes, and they didn’t know if GoT would last beyond the first season. At this point, they definitely knew they needed to keep Ed for years. So the idea of a scheduling issue just doesn’t sit right with me. There’s some weirdness going on.

Maybe he signed on this contract, but chose to ignore it to focus on another project. That would be pretty unprofessional, though.

86. mariamb
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: So the idea of a scheduling issue just doesn’t sit right with me. There’s some weirdness going on.

Definitely something weird going on. For better or worse, this looks like a completely different character. If the change was only about Ed Skrein’s portrayal, why change the look so drastically? And why cast him in the first place if his acting skills couldn’t meet the demands of the role? On a show that has, for the most part, been spot on with the casting choices, this appears to have been an odd (and obvious) misstep.

87. Doreah the Exploreah
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Oh yeah man, the showrunners are just trolling you. They’re doing it on purpose!

88. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

As many have stated before, I don’t see how there could be any book-to-show comparison for Daario. Book Daario is a larger-than-life cartoon character, a medieval desert warrior decked out with vibrant colors, as if he was a crude combo of American Psycho and the Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. They aren’t doing that.

GoT will have to continue to interpret Daario differently for the screen, probably taking him in a more Indiana Jones swashbuckler direction, rather than Genghis Khan massacre-loving direction. We can only hope the showrunners find a way to merge screen Daario 1.0 with screen Daario 2.0 without disorienting the viewer.

89. Nezzer
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Just saw this picture of Littlefinger on a FB fan group in a place that resembles the main hall of the Eyrie. Any source to this? We haven’t seen LF at the Eyrie yet and this pic looks pretty legit.

90. Cy
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

I’m actually really like the new look for Daario and am really looking forward to seeing Michael in the role; however, at the same time, I love consistency… so part of me wishes they tried to keep it in the same ballpark as Ed’s costume. Really interested to see how they make it known to viewers that this is indeed the same character, just with a radically different appearance.

91. Jordan
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

You know, regarding his clothing in the pictures, looking at it, it looks really ragged, even allowing for “realistic Medieval dress”.

I’m really thinking its more than likely that this is clothing worn after battle/after a spy mission/while undercover/etc.

I wouldn’t look at the outfit as an accurate depiction of how New!Daario will always dress- I mean even if that will be his style of dress, he presumably isn’t going to be wearing rags.

92. Alvis
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

There are some pictures of Jorah here, he looks like he was wearing the armor (he has the arm things but not the rest) so maybe Michiel looks like a hobo because he’s not in full costume? The article is pretty fun to read, they thought it was NCW instead of Michiel…

93. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Jordan:
    Possible Danaerys dialogue for new season:

Problem solved.

94. Iron Bank of Wit
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Did anyone else notice the guy in the tokar handed Emile a flower, she took it, and then she was holding in a laugh as she walked away?

95. Jordan
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Alvis,

He actually does look a lot like NCW, especially because Jaime was in rags for most of the last two seasons.

96. TheNorthRemembers
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Team Pod,

Ouch! That seems a bit strong. As I said, I’ve only read so far in the books. I think my Game of Thrones fan card is going to be renewed, without delay, as most viewers don’t know what a Faceless Man even is! (Also, it seems that the idea has some supporters here.) Chances are, something is indeed going to happen. I really can’t see them being like, “Hey, everyone, this is Daario. Yeah, you remember? Let me tell you everything that he did last season so you know it’s the same guy.”

97. Alvis
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Jordan,

Good point

98. Cy
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Alvis,

If his hair was a little blonder, he could easily be confused with NCW! Interesting article…

99. Delta1212
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

In A Dream of Sprin it will be revealed that every single character who was recast over the course of the television show was secretly a Faceless Man and D&D planned all this from the beginning.

100. Delta1212
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:
    Awful. Looks like a hobo

Honestly, I always pictured Daario as looking like a punk rock hobo.

101. loki
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:01 am | Permalink

At this point they might as well recast him again with an one-eyed asian midget. Why would anyone care? Regular viewers wont notice a recast in a year, and we all will already know about it, so whats the problem?

102. WildSeed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber: Reminds me of the film version of Thank You For Smoking, when Rob Lowe explains how the actors will smoke on a spaceship with a line of dialogue: “Thank god we invented the you know, whatever-device.”

( :

103. WildSeed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

used to say, ” given what you know… it would be best to tread lightly ”

Hey, I read the recollection of your personal archived events from 11 Sept…. sorry
    for your loss. I also take heart that you’ve discovered ASOIAF and became an
    obsessed devotee like the rest of the Replicants in the crowd. Keep your chin up,
    mate. Life is really sweet. *U*

Caution though, it’s far too early to give into crackpot theories for the next book,
    TWOW. Too much spice consumption and obsession may lead to blue candy
    addiction. *>* —> ( :

104. Jentario
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

If it is new Daario, I doubt this will be his standard look.

105. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

WildSeed: Careful, this film has a certain revered status for me. As a late chemist friend of mine
    used to say, ” given what you know…it would be best to tread lightly ”

106. KG
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:42 am | Permalink

zzz,

I was thinking the same thing. A little too much roast dog there buddy.

107. LadySnark
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:23 am | Permalink

I think there may be parts of their costume missing. If you look Barristan has no sword belt or other bits on either, so perhaps the rest of Daarios kit and his wantons have either been removed or yet to be put on. Maybe they dont let them walk around set with their weapons and armour for safety reasons or something like that. The pics of the Unsullied that were posted the other day had them just in clothing and all their shields and weapons etc were laid out on the ground

108. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:59 am | Permalink

Alvis:

I hope this starts all kinds of entertaining rumors.

109. Joshua Atreides
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:00 am | Permalink

Enh I’ll make my knee jerk reaction when we actually have facts to explain this odd tableau.

110. TheBerylfly
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:55 am | Permalink

I don’t mind the recast and I like the hairdo, but I am joining those who hope they are going to put something more memorable over those rags
    Those who say no one liked Ed Skrein’s look are wrong, though. Here maybe, but casual’s feeds were full of drooling over him

111. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:59 am | Permalink

So apparently it’s totally out of the question that Daario could grow a beard and cut his hair. Because Skrein was bald and had to wear a terrible wig this guy should too. Oh, and he should definately be clean shaven so we can compare his dimples and squareness of his jaw to Skrein’s.

Seriously, Finn Jones had a long haired wig in season one and has since had his shorter natural hair used on the show. On my list of concerns about characters being recast, Daario is about number 35. This new guy is without a doubt a better actor. He also looks more like the Daario I pictured from the books. What’s not to like?

112. raw_bean
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Has anyone considered the possibility that they’re going to reshoot Daario’s season 3 scenes with the new actor for the dvd/bluray release? Wouldn’t take long, and there’s visual continuity fixed for posterity.

113. Luka Nieto
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 3:34 am | Permalink

raw_bean,

Very, very unlikely. It would be undeniably cool, especially for those of us with a fixation on continuity. But it probably ain’t happening. Budgets are actually very, very tightly controlled. You’d be paying many actors to return for these scenes, not just Huisman, unless some heavy CGI compositing is involved (which wouldn’t be that cheap either.) Revisiting some sets would be easy (the tent) but others would be impossible (those in real-life Morocco, where they are not filming this year), so filming the new Daario against green-screen would be required.

The tent scene with Daenerys and Missandei would be easy to just reshoot. A very simple, small scene. Their first meeting with the other commanders? A little bit more complicated. The set is more complex. Composing him into the rock on the last scene in the season wouldn’t be TOO difficult. But the talk between the other commanders about killing Daenerys? It’s on the outside, surrounded by extras, with a very elaborate set. The fight at the gates of Yunkai? They’d probably have to recreate most of it, and they aren’t going back to Morocco just for a continuity issue. That scene is also a thoroughly choreographed fight. I just don’t see it happening.

For it to look great it’d actually be very expensive and it’d certainly take more than you are probably thinking.

114. Tami
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 4:22 am | Permalink

Emilia is looking stunning as always <3

115. Loki202
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 4:23 am | Permalink

Daenerys!

116. Sami
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 4:37 am | Permalink

omg the new Daario is looking so hot. LIKE

117. Lou Reed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 5:39 am | Permalink

We dont know if he is putting on a wig, when they are filming.

If its very hot, it would make sense not to wear it while walking to the set.

I like the theory about a hole new look better though, especially if they fx his beard blue with computergraphics.

118. Mary Jane
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 6:38 am | Permalink

TheImp’sNose,
    I agree, making Daario a Faceless Man would be a really cool way to explain this otherwise potentially jarring drastic physical change.
    I did always wonder about the original casting as he was so different from the Daario of the books…

119. SokratesK
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 6:53 am | Permalink

New Daario looks somewhat better ,but still out of character.He’s supposed to be a flamboyand bastrad,and although the previous one was depicted as quite generic this one still doesn’t capture the style of his.I mean i know book Daario probably wouldn’t work on screen but i think they should be bolder and make him stand out a bit.And making him a faceless man,sorry but that’s very out of the blue imo.

120. GeekFurious
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 7:29 am | Permalink

They will just explain the difference in look with the beard. He’ll say something about growing it. The audience will be confused, then they will get over it.

121. VARGOAT
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 7:47 am | Permalink

My advise: Calm down and see whats going to happen. I don´t believe they will just act like this is the guy Skrein was playing in season 3

122. Lou Reed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 7:54 am | Permalink

TheImp’sNose,

The Faceless Men should be an exlusive order of extremely expensive and almost 100% effective Assassins. Hopefully they will not compromise that storyline, by making “everyone” a faceless man.

123. Lou Reed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 7:56 am | Permalink

VARGOAT,

Yes, but I think it is official from HBO, that this actor is recast as Dario Naharis.

124. Jen@House Stark
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Oh Seven Hells, he better bring the hotness. Bad enough we don’t have blue beard and gold teeth.

125. JamesL
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

126. House de Laguna
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Honestly I liked the Daario1,to tell you the truth I’d much rather have had that “flamboyant” character with mediocre acting skills than have an obvious recast who looks nothing like his predecessor.

127. Turncloak
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

JamesL: I would prefer if they just wrote Daario off the show and had this guy play a new character.

Yes. That would have been a good idea

128. SokratesK
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

House de Laguna,

Still, the previous guy felt nothing like Daario,who is pretty much a cruel sellsword snake ,and although an adaptation doesn’t have to be 100% accurate to the source material,his chracter was useful, because he showed the “immature” side of Dany,the one of the teenage girl that sometime is too young to deal with the huge challenges she has to face, and sometimes she just seeks “cheap” thrills.Having some blunt erotic interest with Faabio the romancer ,adds nothing to the story.There is Jorah for this kind of boring stuff.

129. Turncloak
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

VARGOAT: I think the most reasonable explanation would be that this guy is a different character than Ed Skreins. Maybe they are responding to the wave of disaproval skreins acting caused in hard core fan circles and they now introduce a new character. The captain of the Storm Crows mayheps. Since they might have realised that something won´t work in the future if Daario will still be the captain of the Stormcrows which Tyrion is going to join later on.. Maybe Ed Skrein will appear in a later Season as some version of Ben Plumm or he gets killed by the guy who might appear as brown ben. /b>

130. Turncloak
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I’ll get over this. Just curious about what happened during the season 3 casting process. They most likely signed Skrein for multiple years like Fury said. Wonder if this call came from up top (HBO execs). The only time this happened is when they recast characters after the pilot (Emilia Clarke instead of Tamzin Merchant, etc)

131. Kilgore Tully
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Lou Reed:
    TheImp’sNose,

This. It isn’t about the way it would work for Daario, it’s about how it starts to take away from how cool/scary it is to be a Faceless Man. The whole concept is super bad-ass and hasn’t been used cheaply in the books. Using it to paint over a production issue is extremely cheap.

Has anyone ever moved with a kid? They complain that they’ll never make friends in their new town. Then they usually do. Not always–sometimes they just mumble in the corner talking about how dumb it is here–but most kids don’t have the patience to remember they’re pissed when they see other kids running around. Because kids want to run around.

If new Daario is good in the role, they won’t even have to explain it that much. Because we want to enjoy the show.

132. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

in terms of book description, the actor may still be a white guy but at least he looks more similar to drogo, which is part of his description in the books. Gonna be interesting to see how they affirm that this guy is now daario to the viewer though

133. JP Dayne
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

I liked ed skrein’s daario
    the actor was ok
    his looks were ok
    the hair was ok
    he didn’t come out as douchey as in the books

now this new daario is so….. grey… so bland… so tasteles…
    fucking recasts, man… the worst part is, we have NO CLUE as to why they recast

134. axia777
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I think he looks great as Darrio but these re-casts are just getting old and very very annoying. As if there were not enough characters for Unsullied viewers to keep track of. These changes are just going to piss off the viewers and make them even more confused. It just looks like very poor planning in the part of the shows producers. I mean, WTF? Keep your actors consistent people!

I also agree that they have better explain the re-cast! This is just DUMB.

135. Jentario
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

In Kit’s defense, the main issue with his story line (for book readers) is in the writing. Season 4 will be his chance to prove us wrong (remember, he was fine in season 1).

136. Ser Endrew Tarth
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Daario = FM is a dumb idea… How would he explain the change to Dany?

Daario: Hey Dany look I changed my face cuz I have FM powers.

Dany: Oh, that’s a surprise but no problem, you can continue to be one of my commanders and advisors.

Daario: Great! Let’s take a bath together!

Lol, there’s no way to make Daario a FM that doesn’t ruin the integrity of the character, or Dany’s plot.

137. axia777
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Ser Endrew Tarth:
    Daario = FM is a dumb idea…How would he explain the change to Dany?

Daario:Hey Dany look I changed my face cuz I have FM powers.

Dany:Oh, that’s a surprise but no problem, you can continue to be one of my commanders and advisors.

Daario: Great!Let’s take a bath together!

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ X 1,000,000. The idea is just RETARDED.

138. Jordan
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Its kind of weird to me to see the purist types dismissing the Faceless Man idea (note- I don’t think it is a good idea myself and if he was, he certainly wouldn’t tell her).

I think its weird because a lot of (as far as I can tell serious) reader theories have involved various characters “really” being Faceless Men. The most common is the Syrio=Jaqen one, but there’s also a common Jaqen=Daario one, based on the fact that in the books, Jaqen’s second “face” and Daario both have a gold tooth.

Also, just going to comment for the record that the photo gives no indication of how the new Daario will be played- presumably he’s going to be a fair amount like Skrein.

139. dragonreborn
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Only logical way for me: They’ve killed daario and this new character with a different name takes his place. remember what they did with talisa? just assume they started with jeyne and when she got killed rob married talisa.

140. Eddward
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Too funny!

141. Joshua Atreides
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Why don’t we wait until we have actual show footage or you know facts to support our crack theories before lambasting the series over a few pics of what seems to be actors half out of costume? Otherwise this is just really a reminder post of the recast and the same feelings regarding said alteration is fostering this grief.

For the record my crack theory over these pics is that Daario has been in disguise as a scout or something and has returned to see give Dany intelligence. Showing this guy in disguise at the get go performing recon in Meereen is a good way to usher in Daario 2.0 in my opinion.

142. JRR Tzolkin
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

“Daario’s blond and braided ‘do was widely criticized so I guess they’re starting fresh.”

While I agree wholeheartedly with this, I couldn’t say “flamboyant” and/or “outlandish” are the first words that come to mind when looking at the new Daario here, either (unlike the books).

Hopefully, this is because of the scene’s context, indeed, and not because the character’s completely lost all of his flavor from the books.

143. Jordan
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

This, a thousand times this.

JRR Tzolkin,

Well, the colors are obviously dull, but he’s dressed the way a free cities bravo would dress. I’m not sure how clear the books are on this, but a lot of fan art does imagine Daario as wearing something you’d see in Renaissance Italy- which he is in the picture.

144. Kellye
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I’m bummed! I fell in love at first sight with Ed Skrein!!!!

145. AngryGoTFan
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

WRONG STILL ALL WRONG!!!!!! #NOTDAARIO #BLUELESS #NOONEUNDERSTAAANDS

146. Jentario
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

AngryGoTFan,

Heeeeeeeey!

147. Felix
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Maybe they realized the first actor didn’t look enough like Benjen so they had to recast him?

148. Dwayne
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Ok so im not 1 of those guys who can recite the books back to u so please forgive me if im wrong but dont the bravosi people hate dragons … this is coming from a looking forward assumption thing i read where some1 mentioned that aryas path could cross danys after she joins the FM and they give her the task to kill dany cuz the bravosi and the FM hate the dragons

I still dont know if im right or wrong but if thats true daario cud never be a faceless man it just wudnt make sense

149. Jordan
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Dwayne,

Yes, that is correct. If (big if- I think its a crack theory) Daario was a Faceless Man, he would not actually be on Danaerys’ side.

150. Marco
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I wish they had stuck with Fabio Naharis. Khalessi’s pants going on fire over him helps remind us she is still a young girl. The replacement guy, even though he is probably a better actor, just doesn’t provide the same effect.

151. Macha
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Felix:

This will never get old.

152. queenofthorns
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

SokratesK: the previous guy felt nothing like Daario,who is pretty much a cruel sellsword snake

Yaknow, I used to feel this way. I had an intense dislike for Daario during ADWD. I’ve decided though that this was mostly due to descriptions of his appearance in the books. If you look at the actual content of the books objectively, he’s really not as bad as the impression he gives off. What has he done that makes him “a snake?” What makes him “cruel?” He’s kind of a Jerk, and a lothario, but the same could be said of, say, Marc Antony from HBO’s Rome. And no one seems to hate him.

Book Daario killed his captains in exactly the manner he did in the show in order to gain Dany’s trust.

He led his army all over the damn country doing the various tasks assigned him skillfully and without apparent argument (off-page).

He actually appears to be loyal to Dany. HE seems to actually be a bit obssessed with her, perhaps to the extent she is with him. He gave her honest advice, but didn’t mind when she rejected his plan and took her own course.

He makes fun of Jorah but IMO he pretty much deserves it, given that Jorah CANNOT take a damn hint and keeps trying to push other men away from Dany – including Daario.

So I’ve revised my opinion and have decided my previous views were totally superficial. When I picture the book character in my head I see the ridiculous caraciture that GRRM paints. But if I toss that aside and think only of ACTS, he hasn’t actually done anything that bad. And if I add on top the appearance of either Daario actor, well I have a charismatic character who is a bit shady, a bit mischevious, but overall pretty cool.

153. loco73
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Continuity? I guess we will have to wait until the actual season starts to explain the quite different look. I for one had no issue with Ed Skrein’s portrayal of Daario Naharis. I thought he was just enough of an arrogant douche to match some of the traits of book Daario, but no the complete prick that that dude is in the books.

But I guess they had to do this cast change for whatever reason (which was what exactly…can anyone explain?), and so be it. But they’ll have to finesse this change into the show, because the dude that I see in that picture has little in common with the Daario from Season Three…and unless Daario competed in “The Biggest Looser” and got a complete make-over and plastic surgery, even the more casual viewers won’t be able to help but notice the quite drastic change.

154. Skipjack
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I think it would be pretty funny if these shots are just them walking to location, but once he gets there he dons the Fabio wig.

155. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Skipjack,

The Fabio wig would look pretty amusing with Huisman’s beard.

156. Starfish
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink
  157. Jill
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who kind of picture Daario to be kind of like Eugene Hutz from Gogol Bordello when reading? I mean, flamboyant and arrogant, sure, but too damn magnetic to really worry about the first two. I think Michiel might be able to get close to a toned down version of that, so I’m excited.

As for costuming here, maybe it’s situational and not indicative of his typical wardrobe.

158. Jenny
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I think maybe Ed Skrein seemed like a good idea in the first place but simply didn’t deliver the way they had planned.
    He felt very out of place there, perhaps because he had to concentrate so much on speaking differently. From what I hear he has not been trained as an actor,
    He seemed to do school drama acting.
    Also his eyebrows were wrong, but I was a fan of his casting at first and I liked the photos, but it really didn’t work out for me in the role.
    I had anticipated to get hot shivers but got a somewhat “duh” feeling.

159. WildSeed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Jentario:
    Turncloak,

Many of us here have commented over the year ,about this very apparent point,
    of S1 Jon Snow. The consensus reflects what you say here. However S2 through
    S3 scripts offered Kit more screen time, where his actions and words spoken
    could not rise above or improve his scenes. He did fare well early on with S3
    Hinds and Hivju, which gave me hope, personally, that Harrington does well
    in balanced scenes with seasoned actors, as he demonstrated in S1.

Book Jon’s time with the Wildlings was awkward, and he did experience many
    inward thoughts that could not be spoken aloud in enemy’s camp. An audience
    would have to focus on his features & body language, which Harrington doesn’t
    appear adept at. He’s very stiff, and a look of being dumbfounded. The only
    exception was his working with the Ygritte character, and for obvious reasons.

Still, there’s a lot more of Jon Snow’s character in the works, and the script
    may help, if that is the only culprit. I’m looking forward to it, any improvement
    whether it’s coaching or script or being inspired by his return to Castle Black,
    would be a welcomed response on behalf of viewers. Some here don’t believe
    Kit could act his way out of a paper bag, the rest of us realise what’s past is past.

160. WildSeed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides:

Good point, especially if Daario is already engaging in his ” scout ” role.

WildSeed: I agree, especially as the audience took in closer views of Ed Skrein, than say armored
    bannermen like Gregor Clegane or GoT Extras. Anyone closely monitoring the
    the role may supersede any initial awkwardness. It’s probably wise to wait and

Yup *U*

161. WildSeed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: I knew that I’d get a response from you regarding “Priscilla”! Wouldn’t you say Book Daario has a certain colorful flamboyancy to him, in between bloodfests? :-)

Yes, I’ll have to keep that image apart from what I view on GoT. I’m patiently in wait
    for what the directors will decide for his character, apart from his appearance.

” Priscilla ……” is a masterpiece, I’ve never been so jealous of men in drag
    since I viewed ” Madame Butterfly ” on stage. Stage Opera and and lip synching
    to ” Abba” is a lost art. I hope the next time capsule sent into space has a
    recording of ” Priscilla….” , presumably for Starfleet to discover.

162. Jen@House Stark
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Turncloak: I doubt HBO listens to “hardcore fan circles”. If that were the case Kit Harrington would have been recast long ago :p.

Ohhhhhhhhh, below the belt! Kit fans meltdown in 3, 2, 1 …………

163. Ross
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

He looks a lot like Aragorn to me. That’s no bad thing I guess.

Couple of people have commented that Selmy is looking a bit out of shape. That really isn’t normally the kind of thing I would comment on, but I must admit it does jar a bit for this particular character – he’s one of the finest warriors in the land, surely he would be in relatively good shape? He looked much more lithe in season 1 – although perhaps it was just the armour. I do feel somewhat terrible for making a comment about this.

164. Patchy Face
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Marco,

This.

165. Ser Arthur Dan
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I would guess that the first scene shown with Huisman playing Daario will have him just finishing up getting a haircut, and someone(Dany or Jorah) commenting on the hair and beard and him repyling that its dangerous to not continually change his appearance in his line of work. Easiest and quickest way to address it without having to make up a new plot for the character.

166. axia777
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Jen@House Stark: Ohhhhhhhhh, below the belt! Kit fans meltdown in 3, 2, 1 …………

Not really. We like Kit and don’t need to justify it to anyone.

167. H. Stark
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

New photos with the Unsullied and Good Massters

*spoiler warning for photos*

168. Veltigar
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Jentario:
    Turncloak,

But hey as long as his acting is good enough I don’t care. For instance Miltos doesn’t look like Syrio at all but his performance is so good that whenever I read about Syrio in aGoT I picture him now.

169. Rygar
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

They need to bring back Mero as Victarion.

170. Veltigar
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Dwayne:
    Ok so im not 1 of those guys who can recite the books back to u so please forgive me if im wrong but dont the bravosi people hate dragons …this is coming from a looking forward assumption thing i read where some1 mentioned that aryas path could cross danys after she joins the FM and they give her the task to kill dany cuz the bravosi and the FM hate the dragons

You are right about the FM they seem to hate dragons and Valyrians but we don’t know if all Braavosi feel that way, in fact there is evidence to the contrary don’t forget that Braavos and Aegon I (on Balerion) fought together against Volantis

There is also the fact that a previous Sea Lord granted Daenerys and Viserys sanctuary in the city. He even acted as a witness to the marriage contract between Viserys and Arianne.

Of course the succesor of this Sea Lord kicked Dany and Viserys out of the city
    I think that the only thing that we can conclude from this is that the Braavosi are divided into two camps. One is anti-dragon and another faction is a lot more pragmatic. Personally, I believe that the Iron Bank of Braavos supports the later faction while the FM are the patrons of the anti-dragon faction.

I believe that Arya’s storyline in tWoW will mainly revolve around the struggle between the two factions. We know from Arya’s last chapter in ADWD that the Sea Lord is dying. We know from Syrio that when a new Sea Lord needs to be chosen the knives come out (implying that every election involves a great deal of hidden slaughter).

This time however I think the struggle will not be restricted to the shades. I think the slaughter will happen a lot more in the open this time. For both factions – and their respective patrons the FM and the Iron Bank- their is a lot more at stake than usual.
    The dragons have returned, a Targaryen is putting an end to slavery, Volantis has awaken once more, the Iron Bank is being challenged abroad (by Cersei) and the FM might have to deal with renegades across the sea (Jaqen, the Dusky Woman)

I believe that Arya will get involved with this while she’s at Izembaro. I believe that Izembaro is linked to the world of the Braavosi Courtezans. Through them Arya will get involved with the rich and famous elite of Braavos. And with their political games, at first she’ll make a few politically inspired hits on the orders of the Kindly Man.
    I think Syrio will make his return when the old Sealord dies. He was the former First Sword of Braavos (probably of the Sealord that allowed Dany in the city), so he’s probably still an influential member of his faction. Arya will meet him again and be conflicted about her loyalties. In the end she’ll hear of a massive attempted attack of the FM and their allies on Syrio and his faction. This will prompt her to leave and warn Syrio. She’ll succeed in that (but with the FM right behind her) and they’ll be prepared.for the attack of the FM. Syrio will perish in the fight but the FM will be vanquished and the Iron Bank faction will come out on top. After that I think she’ll be send to a triumphant Daenerys in Volantis.

171. Isolde
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

172. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Isolde: And Irri died because the actress had trouble with her visa

That’s not true, no trouble with her visa, Amrita Acharia has confirmed that a few times. They chose to kill Irri off for story reasons.

173. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Isolde,

This better offer was about 5 minutes of screen time or even less on World War Z.

174. Tereeza 777
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Who knows – at the rate they’re going, maybe they’ll re-cast Daario again – if they do, I hope it’s Fabián Ríos – Colombian actor who breaks bad really good. Played the arrogant, fickle and evil Montecristo Palacios in “El Fantasma de Elena” (The Ghost of Elena). Hottie – and his hair is so black it’s almost blue. Speaks English with a slight Spanish/Tyroshi accent.

175. WildSeed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Tereeza 777,

Nice ( : , maybe an Ironborn bloke.

176. DH87
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Tereeza 777: Who knows – at the rate they’re going, maybe they’ll re-cast Daario again – if they do, I hope it’s Fabián Ríos –

I hope it’s Jason Momoa. Seriously.

Okay, not very seriously, but then I’m promoting JM for any vacancy/recast/new character.

177. Rygar
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Mark Killeen as Victarion Greyjoy.
    Jason Isaacs as Euron Greyjoy.
    Willem Dafoe as Jesus Christ as Damphair Greyjoy

178. Chickenduck
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Isolde: Yep, plus they’ve always given us a reason before. Like when ‘Rakharro’ died it was because the actor got a new, better offer somewhere else. And Irri died because the actress had trouble with her visa. But with Ed… nothing, no word was ever mentioned. It’s just odd.

Actually, I don’t think they’ve ever officially given a reason. If Rakharro got a better offer, then it was him who publicised that, not HBO. With Conan Stevens and Clive Mantle, no reason given. I think people worked out that Clive had issues with a scheduling conflict, but with Conan no one’s 100% sure.

179. Arya Dunyett
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Mmmmmm. I’m mellow with this change. I’m mellow and lubed and ready to see what this Singing Dutchman can bring to the show.

It’s all kind of intriging, IMO.

180. WildSeed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

DH87: Jason Momoa

Momoa is starring in a Sundance Channel series, called ” The Red Road “,
    due in 2014. No idea what his latest film, ” Wolves “, is all about.
    He was tremendous as Khal Drogo, and very unlikely at assuming even a
    disguise of another GoT character. Too bad, his Polynesian warrior physique
    would be a template for many Dothraki males. I miss the bells that lined his
    long braid. Khaaleeeessiee *U*

Here’s looking to the beginning pages of where Danerys and Drogon are
    abducted in the grass sea

181. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

WildSeed:
    Here’s looking to the beginning pages of where Danerys and Drogon are abducted in the grass sea .

Abducted? I beg to differ. The mother of dragons will finally find her soul in the grass sea on those early pages of TWoW…she becomes the fire and finds her way west!

(…or not. Maybe she just flies away with Drogon back to the Mother of Mountains….never to be seen again.)

182. WildSeed
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Well, if you want to remove the sussssppence, methinks your idea may prove true.
    I warn you, some readers are spellbound after reading that sussspenceful
    chapter, anxious for any positive news ( such as what you describe , me too, btw ). Hope her rushed dinner doesn’t ruin the flight *>*

On the other hand, Danerys Heisenberg Fireborn Targaryeon , is known to be
    ” unapologetic ” .

I’m off view and to drool over my neighbour’s online real estate advert of her home
    for sale.

183. Shadowcat85
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Remember The Tudors? They recast the role of Jane Seymour in between S2 and S3. Not sure what the situation was with that, but it happens. The more intriguing thing is that Michael’s look is very different from Ed’s i.e. is it a story point or not. Either way, I prefer the new Daario look.

184. DH87
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Shadowcat85: They recast the role of Jane Seymour in between S2 and S3. Not sure what the situation was with that, but it happens.

Apparently scuttlebutt at the time was that Anita Briem bridled at the nudity required in The Tudors and Annabelle Wallis was brought in. Showtime did go to the trouble of digitally altering the recap before the new season, according to Michael Ausiello; perhaps D&D will go that route with Daario in April. I thought Ms. Wallis was an improvement, but that’s JMHO. (Link below has the Ausiello quote embedded.)

185. Shadowcat85
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 3:48 am | Permalink

DH87,

Interesting- I actually remember the altered recap now. I don’t recall any nude scenes with Jane though.

I’m sure we’ll never know the whole story regarding Michael replacing Ed, but as someone who has working in casting before, it was probably an involved process. They always are.

186. Arkash
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 4:29 am | Permalink

DH87: I hope it’s Jason Momoa. Seriously.

They still can bring him occasionally for some Dany’s visions if they start going down that way.

Which would be interesting composite stuff to spice up the Meereen storyline !

187. Lou Reed
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Dwayne,

188. Ser Endrew Tarth
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Lou Reed: Dwayne, There are some indications, that the faceless men receive their targets directly from their deity, the Many Faced God. But littlefinger once suggests, that they could send a faceless man after Viserys and Daenerys, to be sure they died, but that hiring such would cost more than the realm could afford.If Dario were a faceless man, he would be there on some secret assassination mission, and knowing the story further on, its not likely.I guess the real question is, what was Jaqen H’ghars mission, and why was he stuck in the black cells, when Yoren recruited him, and why was his mission finished, when he left Arya at Harrenhal.

It’s all explained during Someone’s visit to the FM temple… They are assasins for hire but only for a dear price, which can vary depending on the client (i.e. a rich man may have to give 2/3′s of his fortune, a poor man may offer his own life to the God of Many Faces and get revenge on someone). Abroad they are simply considered the best, and most expensive assasins, which brings in to question some of the KM piousness. If I understand it correctly.

189. queenofthorns
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Alex Greyjoy,

I just watched the movie and he has a 5 minute scene including 2-person dialogue with Brad Pitt as well as a couple smaller scenes. Getting to work with an A-lister is a really big deal even if it’s only a short scene. It can open doors if they like working with you.

190. dio westeros
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Jen@House Stark: Ohhhhhhhhh, below the belt! Kit fans meltdown in 3, 2, 1 …………

Veltigar: I mostly agree with this. The writing for his arc sucks, but it’s a bit more than that imo. Kit is to girly pretty to play Jon Snow. They should have found a young version of Sean Bean or Benjen (forgot the actors name) to play him, that would have been more convincing.

Apparently Kit is considered, by many, to be doing a good job. He is also considered, by many, to be a very good actor. He is being cast in a lot of roles outside GOT… So clearly he has ability. The guy is the lead in the upcoming Pompeii which looks amazing. Give him some credit.

191. msd
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

The key cast (and crew) would be signed to multi-year contracts of varying lengths. But the original Mountain was able to walk, seemingly without having to pay compensation to producers and he was a character they knew they’d need for future seasons. Legally, you may not be allowed to lock in people unless they’re classified as “major role performers”?

Or Skrein was and they let him go anyway. In which case he was paid out and probably isn’t allowed to talk about it publicly. Who knows ….

192. Jen@House Stark
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

dio westeros:
    Apparently Kit is considered, by many, to be doing a good job.He is also considered, by many, to be a very good actor.He is being cast in a lot of roles outside GOT… So clearly he has ability.The guy is the lead in the upcoming Pompeii which looks amazing.Give him some credit.

Mayhaps I did not phrase my entry correctly, I apologize. I’m all about House Stark and a firm believer in R + L = J, so of course I love Jon Snow and Kit is Jon, IMHO. I also know he has die hard fans, so tread lightly :smile:

193. RinMorrigan
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Yes I knew it….I was there last week and they didn’t let me go in. They said they were shooting a movie. And I thought later…Could it be that it was The game of thrones. Damn I should have insisted more. Maybe I could have gone in somehow >.<

194. DH87
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Shadowcat85,

Agree. Hollywood is a small town, and there are only a few big talent agencies serving the entire industry. To tell tales on any one person—actor, showrunner, whoever—is going to annoy whatever one of the Big Three represents that person, putting you on a manure list from which you may never escape.

Not worth it for either party.

195. DH87
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

I was going to joke about rehiring Jason M. as a Faceless Man since no one was looking at his face in his scenes in GOT but thought better of it.

196. Joshua Atreides
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 12:35 am | Permalink

dio westeros,

I wouldn’t expect much of “Pompeii”. It is directed by Paul S Anderson who brought us such wonderment as “Mortal Kombat”, the Resident Evil films and “The Musketeers”. That moment of history deserved much much better. Good on Kit for nabbing the lead role. I still can’t wrap myself around the idea of Kiefer Sutherland as a Roman and
    what a horrible production it will be.

197. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Alex Greyjoy,

Ed Skrein wasn’t in ‘World War Z’, Huisman was.

198. Alice
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 3:22 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Alex is talking about Elyes Gabel.

199. Thedeepseanomad
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 3:22 am | Permalink

While Daario being a “faceless man” (or in some way formerly belonging to the that order) would appear to change the character and what being a faceless man quite a bit, we must remember that 1) this series operate within a different continuity than the books. 2) It would contain and reinforce the continuity of the series, especially with that coin scene in season 3.

200. Lou Reed
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 7:03 am | Permalink

Jen@House Stark,

Theory:
    Actually, Rhaeger had a twin Brother. One brother was bookish to a fault, and the other was the strongest knight in the realm. But the mad king kept it a secret.

Barristan tells Daenerys, that kidnapping Lyanna was very much unlike the Rhaegar he knew. It was the bookish brother, who died at the trident, and was married to Elia, while it was the stronger that kidnapped Lyanna, and perhaps fathered J.

After the trident, the surviving twin brother fled North to join the Nights Watch, under the name Mance Rayder.

201. LadySnark
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Joshua Atreides:
    dio westeros,

whata horrible production it will be.

Apparently he doesn’t talk much and looks sad and wet a lot still. The only thing it will have going for it is some eye candy moments with his newly honed abs I think

202. Kate
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Please, please, please bring Ed Skrein back. He was a hot sexy mess and I was so excited to see him play out the role of Daario. I am a huge fan of the books and quickly got past his physical departure from his character in the book. He embodied the same “Je ne said quoi” as his charated in the novels and I just LOVED him. So sad. I do like Michael Huisman as an actor but I want Ed Skrein back.

203. AJC
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Barristan with specs on LOL :-)

204. Stormborn Groves
    Posted October 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I saw those photos a while back on a Brit news site, they were saying it was the kingslayer, I told them they knew nothing to look closer. I can’t say I like when they introduce a character then change the actor when he has already said I’m Daario! Also I was looking forward to the gold tooth and blue hair, and the swagger.

205. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Jon:
    Cool! he was great in Nashvillewill had a touch more Gravitas than the other Daario :).

It looks like Huisman will reprise his musician/producer role on “Nashville” starting in next week’s episode.

206. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 5, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

A woman disapproves. A woman LOVED the old Daario, ok, don’t tell Jaqen!

207. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 5, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar:
    A woman disapproves. A woman LOVED the old Daario, ok, don’t tell Jaqen!

Well…since your hubby is an FM, why does it matter what visage makes an appearance? Which face of Jaqen do you like the best? Jaqen 1 (at Harrenhal), Jaqen 2 (after Arya escapes), Syrio, Varymyr Sixskins, or Daario?

;-))

208. Baramos
    Posted October 5, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

I find this all quite confusing. I assumed they would make him look at least like the other actor.

1. […] WinterIsComing.net have the first photo of Huisman with onscreen love interest Emilia Clarke and point out that there are some significant differences between Huisman’s Stormcrows captain and Skrein’s version in season 3. Gone is the long blonde hair and in its place a scruffy beard. Daario and Clarke’s Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen began a tentative truce and flirtation at the end of season 3 of the hit HBO series, but fans of the George R. R. Martin books well know that they will be getting much closer in the future. […]

2. […] WinterIsComing.net unveiled the photos from the Klis Fortress in Croatia where we see Huisman replace Ed Skrein as the Tyroshi sellsword that pledged himself to the Khaleesi. Unlike the last time we saw him, Daario is now sporting a beard and dark hair, a drastically different look from Skrein’s version of the character. However, the blond braids were met with much criticism (or downright hatred, depending on who you talked to) from fans who declared that the warrior’s appearance was nothing how Martin described him in his books. So, since the part was recast anyway, why not switch things up. […]