Day 83: Filming at Klis Fortress
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming.

igra_prijestolja23-011013

The filming of season 4 of Game of Thrones continues in Croatia. Having finished in Dubrovnik, the production has moved on to other regions of Croatia. Recently, some filming was done at Klis Fortress. Check out photos from the set, after the break.

First up, Split.com.hr provides some photos of the shoot.

got_kls_5

got_kls_6

got_kls_7

Dalmacija News has photos from what looks to be a different part of the fortress, but a similar scene:

igra_prijestolja1-011013

igra_prijestolja4-011013

igra_prijestolja5-011013

Winter Is Coming: Fans of the books should have an idea of what this scene may be about.

1. Javi Marcos
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Mereen. He.

2. Josla
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

First?

3. TheLightningLord
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

They were children in the book though correct? Obviously can’t have that here, but I just want to make sure

4. Yesper
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

TheLightningLord,

Those are probably the slavers Danaerys crucified as revenge for the crucified children.

5. dizzy
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

TheLightningLord,

Actually it’s a response to the slave children being crucified from what it looks like.

6. Hounded
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

The blue-ness of that sky is insane.

7. TheLightningLord
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Yesper,

dizzy,

Ahh, okay. Thanks

8. loki
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

They better crucify me some children
    Also, the bricks aren’t colorful enough.

9. Ser Endrew Tarth
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

TheLightningLord,

I think they will just make it slaves crucified as opposed to children. It’s true this show is graphic, but I tend to think they will shy away from crucified children w/ their entrails spilled out lol (and rightfully so IMHO).

I can’t help but get nervous while looking at the pics of people so close to the edge of the precipice while rigging the “crosses“.. ><

10. Jentario
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Ser Endrew Tarth,

Yeah, I agree. This could be either crucified slaves or crucified slavers. They might not be children at the show, and we don’t really know what Meereen will look like, so we can’t say yet. That said, the fact that they are being displayed on the walls kind of implies it’s the slavers, no?

11. Ren Snow
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

Look at the costume of the crucified man, he’s wearing the TV version of a Slaver’s Bay tokar. Meaning he’s one of the Great Masters of Meereen

12. Roekest
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Looks like the Unsullied are putting slavers up on the crucifixes.

13. Easteros bunny
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Looks great!

14. Jentario
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Ren Snow,

Yep, no way a slave would wear that. I wonder how they’ll handle the children… Dany is one of the few plotlines for next season which we are completely oblivious to even as book readers, including Arya, Bran, Theon and YarAsha. We just don’t know how much of ADWD and AFFC they want to take and how much original scenes they want to create (my guess is that there will be more of those than ever before this season). I can’t wait to see how they do this season, it should be great :)

15. GG
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Normally, I’m in favour of book similarities but I accept the change here. I really do not need to see dead children with their guts hanging out. Bleugh

16. Rygar
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Jesus Christ Superstar Redux?

I just pray we get more ‘angry eyebrows’ from mommy dragon, because without those there would not have been an Emmy nomination.

17. Hoyti_Von_Totiy
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

These pictures are old. They were taken on 01.10.2013 i tried posting the link before but whenever i pressed “post comment” nothing happend.

Filming in Croatia is finished i belive.

18. Ozymandias
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Hoyti_Von_Totiy,

This place is not Meereen is it ? It looks completely…empty even with CGI.

19. Jim
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

This show has a dead child within the first fifteen minutes of the series. It has children murdered in their jail cells.

If they change that I’ll be confused, because it’d be as if they decided “Well we’ve showed these dead children already, and had a pregnant woman stabbed repeatedly in the stomach, but THESE dead children are too much.”

20. Ozymandias
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Hoyti_Von_Totiy,

Thanks, the second picture says it all.

21. GeekFurious
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

22. Garlan the Gallant
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

It’s very good to know that they’re keeping Dany’s crucifixion of the Slavers (those victims are clearly dressed in tokars). It’s one of her very dark actions and shows her vengeful side

23. Turncloak
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious: Why would they shy away from showing children being murdered? HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING THIS SHOW?

24. Abyss
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Off-Topic:
    Long panel with Jack Gleeson about GoT and Collapsing Horse. Don’t know how much of it is about GoT or whether there are spoilers in it or not yet.

25. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Turncloak: lol I think some people forgot about Lommys gruesome death. And don’t forget about the Labnister children’s death that cost Robb half his army

Ughh…I still have cold shivers about Lommy’s death, on the page and onscreen.

26. Joshua Atreides
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Off topic but this deserves to be in the weekend GoT funnies:

Only now have I stopped coughing after laughing so much with the Stannis and Mel equivalents…

27. boze
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 3:08 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

And the killing of Robert’s bastards. And the two farmer’s boys.

28. vlad
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 4:11 am | Permalink

Klis is kind of small and unimpressive, they need to use a lot of CGI.

29. TheBerylfly
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 6:07 am | Permalink

Joshua Atreides:
    Off topic but this deserves to be in the weekend GoT funnies:

I think I lost it at Varys and Littlefinger…

30. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 6:15 am | Permalink

boze,

Then there’s the sacrifice of Craster’s son to the Others in 202. The first 3 episodes of the second season plus 207 all ended with the death of at least one child (off-screen or otherwise), & if Tywin hadn’t shown up on time to the Blackwater, Tommen would’ve made one more.

31. Jentario
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 8:21 am | Permalink

vlad,

Add a huge pyramid and border the thing with walls. We’ll see how it looks eventually, but I doubt it would disappoint, especially since we’ll be at Meereen for quite a while. At least in 3 different seasons.

32. DIESLAVERSCUM
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Gotta say, though yes, Dany’s actions here were vengeful and harsh, think about it for a second.

This is a “culture” which had literally no compunctions about murdering and torturing innocent children simply for the fact that they were enslaved. F-that. The only way anyone in the upper classes was going to listen was if it was demonstrated that the same could happen to them.

There’s also no evidence in ADWD that anyone in power in Meereen would have thought twice about murdering these kids until Dany came. As representatives of the slavers, Reznek, Green Grace, Hizdar, etc, continue to push policy that will send former slaves back into poverty and powerlessness. Not even her “allies” like the Shavepate seem to have any compassion whatsoever for former slaves. The Mereenese appear to be interested in nothing besides holding on to power, much like elites anywhere I suppose, but now they know that they too can be destroyed.

While those actions were vengeful and vicious I do think they (or something like them) were ultimately necessary .

33. Virtus
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

They guy is too well dressed to be a slave So he must be a slaver.

34. lost northern
    Posted October 9, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

i hope in the sixth book we will see more of daenerys vengeful side…because IMO dany lacked of …doing something in the fifth book was kind of sad.

35. Boojam
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Well the pics we see are probably a scene shot out of sequence, which is how almost all filming is done.
    One thing I have been super impressed with how the CGI people have reworked the landscapes and vistas on this series.
    Someone hinted that Pixomondo was not heading up the VFX this season, but I cannot find any confirmation of that.

36. Anne Phillips
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Sooo excited for S4!

37. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

The green-ness of the place makes me a little nervous. I mean, there’s going to be some CGI, but SO MUCH CGI? It’s going to be weird to have those wonderful desert shots from last season side to side with a CGI-enhaced green valley. I have hope given the results from last two seasons, but I can’t help but to feel anxious about it <:3

38. Boojam
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Bannerless Bro:

I can’t remember.
    I have the recollection that it not tropical but more ‘green’ than the last two slaver cities.

39. Arkash
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Boojam: Is it true in the book that GRRM describes the terrain around Meereen as desert?
    I can’t remember.

I was “I’m gona check on the Wiki of Ice annd Fire”… and then, well, even better, checked at the “Slaver’s Bay” map (from Lands of Ice and Fire) hanging on my wall. ^^

And it’s greener than Yunka’ï and Astapor, indeed !

40. Gra o tron
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Sooo nice!! :)

41. MeroVFX
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Boojam, i finished that book today, and the people of mereen burnt all the forest around the city, but Jorah still describes the surroundings as a wasteland

42. Greenjones
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Some of this guy’s https://twitter.com/KL_Jackson tweets indicate that he was filming in Belfast today, mentioning a lake and a sewer and it being cold. What do we all make of that?

43. Greenjones
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

He also mentions meeting Nathalie Emmanuel (she tweeted back) and Jacob “Grey Worm” Anderson. So we can assume that he is an Unsullied and from that we can assume a thing or two about which sewer that might be.

44. Alvis
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

There’s also this (the quality of the picture makes me weep) and this so yeah, apparently they were shooting in Belfast today :)