Brewery Ommegang reveals fiery, new Game of Thrones beer
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

With Take the Black Stout now in stores, Brewery Ommegang has set their sights on the next beer in their popular Game of Thrones inspired line. At the Great American Beer Festival last week, they unveiled the name and label design for this upcoming brew.

Fire and Blood Red Ale

The dragon has three heads. As the image notes, Fire and Blood Red Ale is set to debut in Spring 2014. We’ll have to wait a bit longer for more details, but in the meantime you can check out the full press release, below the cut.

Winter Is Coming: Nice labels! Daenerys would approve. As I mentioned at the top of the post, Take the Black Stout is currently available. Use Ommegang’s Beer Finder to find a location near you that stocks it. I have tasted it and it is good. Go forth and procure some of your own, you won’t be disappointed.

Ommegang and HBO Heat Up GABF with Fire and Blood Red Ale Reveal

(COOPERSTOWN, NY) The hottest news coming out of the Great American Beer Festival’s first session on Thursday, October 10 was the announcement of the third beer in the Game of Thrones-inspired series from Brewery Ommegang and HBO. Fire and Blood Red Ale, inspired by House Targaryen, follows Iron Throne Blonde Ale (Spring 2013) and Take the Black Stout (available now). While the beer won’t be released until Spring 2014, a sneak peak of artwork incorporated in the label was revealed and will feature the three Targaryen dragons: Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion.

Unlike any other collaboration in beer realm history, Ommegang and HBO are creating smash hit after smash hit with this series. Iron Throne Blonde Ale set an Ommegang sales record as their fastest selling limited edition beer to date. Take the Black Stout is breaking that record and the third GoT-inspired brew is sure to take it a step further.

Fire and Blood Red Ale will debut in Spring 2014 through Ommegang’s nationwide distributors. Stay tuned for tasting notes and additional information.

1. loki
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Hodor
    Is this how dragons will look in season 4?

2. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

The images of the dragons themselves are great (yes, seems like they will look much fiercer next season!), but in my opinion the labels as a whole look much too cheesy to put on a beer bottle. And as a belgian I claim authority in this domain, so that’s a fact :-)

3. Hops
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Although here in Seattle we have many stores that carry their normal beers, I have yet to see one ever that had either the Take the Black Stout or the Iron Throne Blonde Ale. What’s a GoT fan to do?

4. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Hops,
    print out these labels and paste them on some bottles of your favourite beer. You know, it’s just merchandizing of a fictitious beer, so your favourite is as “real” as Ommegang’s ;-)

5. Rygar
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I am addicted to Ommegangs Rare Vos beer.

6. Freoduwebbe
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

GREAT IDEA….. and if we make it into a waterproof sleeve, we can reuse it OVER AND OVER AND OVER….
    hahahahahahahahahahaha

7. Jake Rogers
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

I’m addicted to Ommegang’s Abbey Ale. They make some quality brew.

8. cantuse
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I just finished re-watching “How to Train Your Dragon” with my 15-mo son this morning, and these dragons remind me of the dragons in that film.

Too bad there’s no Nightfury in there… :D

9. Rygar
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Jake Rogers:
    Rygar,

I’m addicted to Ommegang’s Abbey Ale. They make some quality brew.

The Abbey is quite delicious. It was my favorite until Rare Vos. Still I drank a bottle of Abbey during each episode of S3 and I believe I will continue that tradition. They go well together.

10. Braincandy
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Hahaha. I love the “come hither” look in the third picture (Viserion?).

I can’t wait to taste these new beers. The other Ale & Stout were great!

11. Shadows
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Dragons are the coolest!

12. Aelandor
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Anyone know how to get hold of these in the UK?

13. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

I went to the beer finder and put in a 25 mile search radius. Nothing. Bad move Ommegang! Minnesotans love their beer and pretty much everyone I know watches GoT. They’re throwing away a lot of business by not selling in the Twin Cities market.

Oh well. Guess I’ll have to content myself with bazillion other craft brews that do sell here.

14. GeekFurious
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho:
    Hops,

The beer is not fictitious. It’s real.

Otherwise, I agree.

15. Veltigar
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho:

Ha, how nice to find a fellow countryman on this forum. And yes our beers are the greatest in the world and these images would indeed look very cheesy on those beer bottles (although I suspect this might be a cultural difference, a lot of fantasy artwork is also tacky and cheesy but the Americans seem to love it).

16. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

I knew it wasn’t entirely correct when I wrote it but was too lazy to look for a better way of saying it. I could have foreseen that *someone* would jump on it :-)

Veltigar: Anyways it sucks that we can’t get our hands on this beer (or the previous ones), which is quite strange since Ommegang is owned by Duvel Moortgat :’(

Shhhh….keep it quiet that it’s owned by the Devil, it might spoil some people’s pleasure… Also, higher in the thread I read that one of Ommegang’s beers is called “Rare Vos”. Should we tell the non-Dutch speakers that “rare” in this case doesn’t mean “uncommon” but rather “weird”? (it’s translated as “weird fox”) Then again, if I’d been in charge, I’d have called it “Vunzige Vos” :-)

17. Astonished, again
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

On the third year, maybe i will actually see this beer on sale in a major distributor or bar.

On the third year, I doubt it.

Oh well, there’s always Hellmouth happy hour at black cat.

18. Omar Brown
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

It still cracks me up the Dragons have never been mentioned by name on the show! Come on!

19. WarneyHasOpinions
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Veltigar,

I will hear no talk from Belgians about cheesy labels! Though you do have every right to hold forth on matters of flavor.

20. Darth Miraxis
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Two Rheagals and no Viserion? What’s up with that?

21. Shannon
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

The beers aren’t fake, nor are they beers already brewed under a different name that they slap labels on and rename. Ommegang actually makes the beer for this event. So far both beers have been really good, and I look forward to the third one.

That said- Hennepin is good, but really strong. Can knock you on your ass if you aren’t careful. Witte goes down really easy, but really any Ommegang is delicious.

And cheesy labels are all over the beer industry- just go to any decent beer store that doesn’t just stock the name brand stuff.

22. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

It’s almost that time of the year to start trying new spicy chili ‘n’ pasta recipes. I use dark beer as the broth foundation for most of these recipes. Since “Take the Black” stout is starting to appear in local international beverage stores, I’ll see how it compares to Guinness as a meat deglazer and foundation.

23. WildSeed
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Beer Bread , Beer Chicken , Beer Shampoo… for those who don’t drink

24. Scott Wood
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 1:34 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Don’t trust the beer finder — I saw this a couple weeks ago at Lowertown Wines and Spirits in downtown St Paul (and picked up a couple), despite seeing nothing on the beer finder. It’s probably in other stores as well.

25. Ser Pliny
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 1:41 am | Permalink

Hops,
    I would expect that any of the specialty beers places (i.e. Bottleworks in Wallingford) would carry them. But I know for a fact that Chuck’s Hop Shop (85th and 8th Ave NW) has had both the Iron Throne Blonde and the Take the Black Stout on tap on numerous occasions (I’ve drank them multiple times), and has sold the bottles there as well.

26. Arya Dunyett
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Though not an ale aficionado, I love the labels. Must buy some for my buds now that I’ve got the word it’s available hereabouts.

No one has mentioned it, but does anyone else think the dragon on the left looks a bit like a ferocious chicken? A ferocious and fire-breathing chicken?

27. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 5:30 am | Permalink

Next venture; House Fossoway Cider or Arbor Red/Gold, which should it be?

28. Veltigar
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic:
    Next venture; House Fossoway Cider or Arbor Red/Gold, which should it be?

Well, since Arbor Red is always poisoned in the books and Arbor Gold always connected with deceit I believe they should go for the Cider :p

WarneyHasOpinions:
    Tar Kidho,

Veltigar,

That’s a beer from West Flanders they barely count as Belgians :p (kidding we love them)

29. dizzy
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,
    I finally found a take the Black stout. It’s very good. I’ll be looking for these now.
    As far as the labels go. It’s no more cheesy than anything else in that section of the beer shelf. In fact it’s one of the less cheesy ones in my opinion.

30. Bethany
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if this works in other places, but I’m in New York and I’ve always been able to find GOT+Ommegang beers at Whole Foods.

Sadly the Ommegang beer finder only tells you where you can get Ommegang, not any specific beer.

31. Dragons125
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Just tried some Take the Black stout this weekend, i’m about ~2 hrs. away from the Brewery, found it in a local grocery store :) I thought it was pretty good, since i’m not much of a beer drinker.

32. dragonreborn
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Why can’t we have these in Turkey?? I’m so jealous!!

33. Treasonbeard
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

WarneyHasOpinions:
    Tar Kidho,

Veltigar,

Robb Stark? Is that you?

34. pes
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I wonder if they’ll make a new glass for this one, too, or re-release the first GoT glass. Either way, should be tasty.

35. Jon
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

I have some for sale. If interested send me a message.

36. Aelandor
    Posted October 22, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Jon,

What country are you in Jon?

37. Tom Hilton
    Posted October 22, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

The artwork reminds me very much of Unibroue’s labels (Fin du Monde, Maudit, etc.), and I’d be very surprised if that wasn’t a primary inspiration. So on that basis, I’m fine with them. ;-)

38. House de Laguna
    Posted October 22, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

I have three Black Stouts so far and stocking up! Me and my Game of Thrones buddies are going to have our own Thanksgiving feast using the official cookbook, drinking black stout, then have a round of drunken Game of Thrones board game all while playing The Red Wedding over and over in the background!

39. Rygar
    Posted October 22, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

I am so drunk now that I am masturbating to Google images of Linda. And Elio. Damn you Ommegang. There should be a disclaimer on your labels.

40. Dean Rittenhouse
    Posted October 24, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Fire and Blood Red Ale… I want some! What great looking labels.

1. […] Ommegang already revealed the new name and label design of their next Game of Thrones-inspired beer and at the time they promised more details to come. […]