Game of Owns: Wasted Wine
By Winter Is Coming on in Books, Podcast.

Episode 173 – Wasted Wine

iTunes | Download | RSS

ACOK Chapter 55: Catelyn VII
Join the crew of GOO in a Humpday stroll through Catelyn Stark’s final point of view in A Clash of Kings!

Discussion Topics
A bit of S4 news
Listener comment dissection
Jaime’s glorious return
Cat has heard the news
The mysterious dagger
Jaime’s story
Owns of the Chapter
Catelyn’s final chapter
Your Owns

1. loco73
    Posted December 5, 2013 at 12:25 am | Permalink

In unrelated news….well I guess HBO and Playtone have decided to pass on “American Gods”. So the project is gone from the HBO slate of new shows. Neil Gaiman hinted that the potential series is still a go but will be developed by another network. Instead HBO has ordered a full season of the Damon Lindelof developed series “The Lefovers”. Peter Berg will (or already has) direct the pilot. This series deals with the aftermath of The Rapture, and the people who didn’t make the cut and are left in the world after all the chosen ones have gone to heaven…

Then there is supposedly the new potential project David Simon project on the CIA called “Legacy Of Ashes”. Guillermo del Toro might also be writing a script for an adaptation based on the manga “Monster”…though that is just a rumour for now…

I just wish HBO had taken a chance on “Preacher” instead of allowing AMC to get their hands on the project. I guess the “Mad Men” lesson wasn’t learned.

What are the chances on HBO taking on “The Dark Tower” novels on for adaptation?

2. Dolorous Ned
    Posted December 5, 2013 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Apart from the stupid cliffhanger one of the best chapters in the books. Looking forward to Listening when I’ve got the time.

3. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted December 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

The conversation was a highlight from my favourite “whole book” in the series (In Britain, A Storm of Swords comes in 2 parts and the second, Blood and Gold, is a clear strongpoint for anyone who knows what’s to come in season 4). It was a smart move to split some of it for 110 and some for 207.

ACOK was a strange experience overall, having 4 primary players removed before the game’s really started yet somehow surpassing its predecessor (or is that just me?)

4. Lordling
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 12:29 am | Permalink

I was one of those unfortunates who waited for two years or so to find out about the fate of Jaime Lannister (at the hands of Catelyn). I recall that it was one of the biggest discussion points on the forums, with most readers believing that Jaime would survive (against many of our wishes at the time! – being positioned by the author to be clearly in the Stark camp). GRRM had announced that in A Storm of Swords he was introducing two new POV characters. He said that one of them was going to be Samwell Tarly, but that the other would remain a secret. That was also a cause of much speculation – who would it be? I for one wanted it to be the Hound, but am now very pleased with Jaime’s character development.

5. Carolyn Brazil
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 12:34 am | Permalink

I just want the 5th book to come out!!!!!!! Valor Morgulis GRR. I just can’ t wait to read how he actually ends the series-Is Winterfell back in Stark hands? Who’s dead and who’s alive. Who gets vengeance and who doesn’t. Mr. Martin-please have pity on your loyal readers and get a move on.Is there a possibility or any hope for 2014?Please god – get #5 done! Think how good you’ll feel when it’s done!!!!!

6. Chickenduck
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 4:14 am | Permalink

Carolyn Brazil:
    I just want the 5th book to come out!!!!!!! Valor MorgulisGRR. I just can’ t wait to read howhe actually ends the series-Is Winterfell back in Stark hands? Who’s dead and who’s alive.Who gets vengeance and who doesn’t. Mr. Martin-please have pity on your loyal readers and get a move on.Is there a possibility or any hope for 2014?Please god –get #5 done!Think how good you’ll feel when it’s done!!!!!

I think you mean #6.

7. Rygar
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 8:59 am | Permalink

The Pizzas ARE coming and they are gonna be awesome.

8. Howland Reed
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Since we’re going to have to endure Theon love in the next chapter I per-emptively give the own to the ghosts of Winterfell for ruining Theon’s sleep and bringing him to the conclusion holding Winterfell is hopeless, the Starks own it, even in death.

9. Lady smallfoot
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

For the next Theon chapter, I want to give the ultimate “anti-own” to Theon for doing all those despicable things, and getting owned by everyone and everything, including himself!

10. Howland Reed
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Lady smallfoot:

Ha! Very good, I like that one.

11. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Howland Reed,
    Well hello, Mr. Reed. It’s about time you showed up. We’ve got a few questions for you. Do you know what your children are up to? Have you seen the BF around lately? We’re trying to find him and we heard that he might be hiding in the Neck. Finally, if you’ll please indulge us, what the hell happened at the ToJ?

We’ve got time. Please, do tell…

12. Rygar
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Not the same Howland. I know, confused me too.

13. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Wtf? There are two HRs? This isn’t the same HR who had that awesome rager at Greywater Watch last year? Jyana was quite the accommodating hostess. There was this brunette there who I had never seen before. She didn’t speak much but she looked awfully familiar. There was also this great crannog dip (more like a paste) that was really good with the frog leg appetizers.

By the way, I checked the Westeros white pages and there is only one HR listed! Who the heck is this mummer?

14. Howland Reed
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Hodor? Hodor! Hodor!?

15. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Howland Reed,

Is that a gibe, ser? In the name of my missing father, I must ask you to step outside to settle this.

16. Howland Reed
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry. Look I have this wedding invitation, do you want to be my +1?

17. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Howland Reed,

Depends if the wedding is at KL or WF? It’s a bit of a trek either way, but I like WF better. Plus, I’ll need to find something to wear. And the snow…the snow! Oh, bother!

18. Chickenduck
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    The Pizzas ARE coming and they are gonna be awesome.

Pizza!! I will forever call Book 6 the Winds of Pizza.

19. Gobias of HouseBluth
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I wouldn’t recommend KL, weddings there can turn ugly. If you do, at least make sure you bring reliable witnesses.

20. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Damn it, now you’ve got me coming up with ASOIAF pizza puns. Here’s what I’ve got so far…

A Game of Doughs
    A Clash of Crusts
    A Storm of Sauce
    A Meat-feast for Crows
    A Dance with Deep-Dish
    Couldn’t think of a new one for TWOW so…
    A Dream of Spring Onions

I know you all can do much better though. Any ideas?

21. Rygar
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

A Dream of Sicilian

22. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted December 6, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Gobias of HouseBluth:
    Hodor’s Bastard,
    I wouldn’t recommend KL, weddings there can turn ugly.If you do, at least make sure you bring reliable witnesses.

I don’t know if HR will be welcome in KL but since we’re going together, we’ll have each other’s back. On the way, we’re going to stop at this cool Crossroad’s Inn for a day or so. I’ve heard their bitter beer is to die for.

[Btw, House Bluth? Love the sigil and the slogan!]

23. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted December 7, 2013 at 2:09 am | Permalink

loco73,

There’s a lot more in development at HBO than just that, most notably, The Money from David Milch, the untitled late 1970′s music industry drama from Terrance Winter, Martin Scorsese, and George Mastras (Bobby Cannavale it set to star), and another untitled drama about a young black man who is trying to adjust to high-society living in NYC from Steve McQueen (recently directed 12 Years A Slave).

I think there’s a few more, but those (in addition to the ones you mentioned) that I’m most excited about.

As for Preacher… I thought it was awful. Sometimes it felt like it was trying to hard to be edgy you could hear the writers giggling. Start decent enough, and the characters are mostly interesting, but I don’t see any reason for HBO to get involved with this one. Maybe Starz would be a better fit than AMC, though (since AMC hasn’t had a legitimately good show since Rubicon, maybe Cinemax would also be a better choice).

And, to be honest, I’m glad they decided to pass on American Gods. I’m a Gaiman fan, and enjoyed the book, but I don’t think it would have made for a compelling TV series in the long run, and would have taken away a scheduling spot and budget from a number of shows that seem a lot more interesting.

Finally, last I’d heard, Ron Howard mentioned that HBO has passed on optioning The Dark Tower, as they weren’t interested in the interstitial films; would have preferred to tell the entire story through the television medium. Netflix was brought up as another network that may be interested.

24. Rose Papillon
    Posted December 7, 2013 at 5:17 am | Permalink

Celina’s enthusiasm for Jaime and Brienne gives me life.

25. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted December 7, 2013 at 6:13 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Makes more sense than mine. Also, thought of a new one, The Winds of White Flour. While on the subject of pizza, don’t you think it could describe the series as a whole? Basically, we start with a pizza topped with the popular flavours, then with the 2 more exotic toppings are added, which compliment the existing flavours perfectly. But then some of the toppings are put on one half, and the rest on the other. The only problem is that it’s lost the variety, the base is starting to get a little stale and your now getting a load of new toppings which no one really cares about (in this metaphor, it refers to the locations as much as the charcters).

26. House Mormont
    Posted December 7, 2013 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

I found that some of the new toppings were a lovely flavour but two of them listed on the menu I couldn’t even taste, why were they there? All in all there’s so much going on that I don’t know which bit to eat first, and I find myself missing my old pizza

27. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted December 7, 2013 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

Just put the pizza in the oven already! I’m hungry!

28. WildSeed
    Posted December 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Ha! I just finished listening to the Podcast, but I’m having more fun reading this
    Pizza spread…thread.

Valyrian Plastic,

The Whims of Wurst ( TWOW ), comes to mind. I ‘m hungry too, but I’ll skip the
    wurst and substitute for artichoke-pesto and hold the red sauce.

Hodor’s Bastard,

Glad to know Howland Reed might clarify a few things about aunt Nan’s family.