Gwendoline Christie talks Brienne, the part she’s always wanted to play, with Elle UK
By Lightbringer on in Interview, Press.

Gwendoline Christie, is featured in the pages of the March issue of Elle UK! In the multi-page spread Christie trades a suit of armor for a dress (but throws in some ripped jeans) and speaks about landing the role she’s always wanted to play, Brienne of Tarth.

“This is the part I always wanted to play but never knew existed. All the things I had wanted to cloak about myself, that I felt a little ashamed and embarrassed about, had been bullied for, these things had a place they could live – in Brienne.”

Christie reveals that when she learned Game of Thrones was being adapted into a series and that her dream role was up for grabs, she made it her mission to win the part. She jumped into a work out routine and new diet, losing a full stone and regaining it in muscle.

After landing the role she quickly made friends with her co-stars. Of Michelle Fairley she says: “I adore her, she really took care of me. Not only is she a very intelligent, kind, interesting and funny woman, but she has a strong nurturing aspect to her. She was gorgeous to me.”

And her off screen relationship with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau sounds much like her on-screen one: “Nikolaj likes to wind me up until I’m screaming at him!”

Although Christie’s height (6’3) helped land her the role of Brienne, it hasn’t always helped in landing a relationship: “I wouldn’t say it has increased my options. But I’ve always thought that the height is a very good detector of the good ones: because if they can get over that, they have got good mettle.”

However, it has earned her the love of fellow tall women who watch Game of Thrones, who often come up to her and proclaim “I really love your character; I’m tall as well.”

For the full interview and fashion spread check out the March issue of Elle UK, on stands now!

1. John-Michael
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Aww, good for her. <3

2. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Already in love.

More in love now.

3. Greenjones
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Also there’s a new Roast Joffrey vid on GoT youtube. I’m too lazy to link it

4. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

She really is fantastic as Brienne. I’m excited to see her storyline unfold over the next few years.

Hopefully it will be a bit more exciting than her book storyline :)

5. House Mormont
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Wow we are so lucky to have her, fuck yeah Gwendoline

6. Renly's Peach
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Good for her. I always thought she was one of the better casted characters from S2 and it looks like I wasn’t wrong. Can’t wait to see her grow more into her character and be badass while also so vulnerable.

7. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Greenjones: Also there’s a new Roast Joffrey vid on GoT youtube. I’m too lazy to link it

Here it is.

8. Johan Sporre
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

And parts of it is thanks to Winter is Coming and Paul Gude :)

A hearty welcome to the new writer Lightbringer. Can you introduce yourself?

9. Dave
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Yep, already loved her in the part. If anything, Brienne needs more screen time. Looking forward to the new season.

Also, I’m 6′ and not put off by tall women at all. Just sayin’, Gwen. :)

10. Zack
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

The show wouldn’t be the same without her. Since she came on, her scenes have always been episode and season highlights. The Brienne/Jaime pairing was one of the most interesting to read and it has proved equally great to watch and it’s because of Gwen and Nikolaj bringing their best.

I’d like a lengthy interview with her. She always comes off so charming it would be great to have more of it :)

11. hoot hoot
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

My favorite GOT actor.

12. loki
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Show-brienne is one of the most obvious evidences of D&Ds incompetence. Way to ruin a great character. Gwendoline is still a good actress, though.

13. JRQ
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I confess I was skeptical of Christie at first for this role…. but Gods, she has been terrific.

14. Jen@House Stark
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I now consider her a main character, and I never would have from the books. She has taken this part and made it her own, so to speak. Love this ladies’ portrayal of Brienne.

15. Lord Davos
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

loki,

Whats the difference?

16. axia777
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Hey Gwen, what are you doing Friday night?

17. Strider
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

The dynamic with Coster-Waldau is impressive. Love her interpretation of Brienne and I am extremly curious to see how her story on the show will develop. I suspect it will be a “faster” version of the book Brienne and somewhat modified. I doubt the showrunners will accomodate her whole search through the Riverlands for Sansa. Hopefully we’ll get to see her character interact with Randyll Tarly at Maidenpool.

Posted February 3, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

Yes indeed! Thank you, guys ;)

19. Adrian
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Do tall people actually go up to tall celebrities and say “I’m tall as well?”

Like, if you’re talking to them…they can see you.

20. Scott Glennon
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I Still remember that “Bath Tub Scene”. If one cannot see the talent in that woman, then one is blind.
    “…Don’t you mock me…” Gwendoline Rocks!!!

…The North Remembers…

21. Irulan
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I’ve enjoyed all the female characters on GoT, but Brienne is the one who I have girl crush on – and I never expected that to happen at all, heh.

My change in attitude towards Jaime I credit mainly to how Gwen portrays the Brienne character. If they hadn’t met, who knows what would have become of him, and we probably wouldn’t have known his backstory.

Really looking forward to how her storyline develops this season.

22. Rygar
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know what Brienne says to the Brotherhood and LS? I don’t recall finding out in Dance

23. 3eyes
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

*sigh of relief* didn’t see her in any of the video or photos for s4, and was getting worried. Looking forward to seeing how she fits into the KL environment. And are we surprised at the “off screen relationship”? The chemistry between them onscreen is palpable.

24. ebevan91
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Does anyone know what Brienne says to the Brotherhood and LS?I don’t recall finding out in Dance

“Sword!”

25. Ser Tahu
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

A new writer? Interesting. I was wondering when WiC.net was going to start adding new staff members.

Anyway, welcome Lightbringer! As Johan Sporre said, can you introduce yourself? I want to know more about my new overlord.

26. Azzy Mahmood
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Gwendoline Christie is so hot.

27. Maester Victor
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

We love you, Gwendoline!

28. Rygar
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

ebevan91,

For real?

29. House Mormont
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Yeah, they asked which will it be, noose or sword? so she screamed sword… although i’m pretty sure podrick still got hanged

30. Lightbringer
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Not an overlord, a friend! I’m a huge (and very sullied) ASOIAF fan and good friends with the WiCnet/GOO crew, and have been told many great things about the community/readers. Very excited to join the party, we’ve got so much to look forward to with Season 4 and beyond.

31. Lundy
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

I’m 6’1″ (185.4 cm) and married a man 6 inches shorter than I. One thing dh says he learned from me is; whenever he sees a tall woman, he looks at her shoes. Is she wearing high heels? lol
    And the benefits of the shorter dh – my sons will have a chance to achieve 6 feet without so exorbitant a height that it impacts their health.
    Go Gwen! There’s one out there for ya. :)

32. Abyss
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

I guess Lightbringer is a new mod? Or has someone from the old guard changed his/her name?

33. House Mormont
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Not likely but maybe this season since BriBri’s in KL they could add in some taunting from the Mountain and the Mountain’s men. 1) It’d be great to show just how big the Mountain is by putting him against Brienne and 2) It’d give a premise for one or both of the fights she has in affc

34. Ser-Faps-Alot
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Blimey. She scrubs up well doesn’t she :)

35. Rygar
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

And we know this how? Did I miss a chapter?

36. Strider
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Rygar: House Mormont, And we know this how? Did I miss a chapter?

You did not. AFfC ends it with “she screamed a word”. Then the story in Dance picks up from the point Brienne finds Jaime and asks him to come with her. The logic follows she said sword, not noose. But no, you did not miss anything Rygar.

37. Rygar
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Strider,

Gotcha. so we are to assume that she fought her way free? Or there’s still a chance she yells “BINGO”!

38. Turncloak
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Brienne is a very great character and very easy to root for. I never realized how much I liked Brienne until GRRM had Biter chew off her face. That is easily the most pissed I’ve ever been when reading ASOIAF, tied with Arya going blind (before it was revealed that her blindness was just temporary).

39. Myrish Swampert
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

There’s also a small interview of Isaac Hempstead Wright.
    It’s mostly about how is it like a child actor, but it’s a good read cause it’s so rare to see his doing interview.

40. MoF
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

3eyes,

I don’t think they meant “off-screen relationship” that way. NCW is married and Gwendoline is allegedly dating designer Giles Deacon.

41. deathdreams
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

I thought for sure the single word she yelled was “Hodor” or Stannis”. Was she not trying to leave the first comment on a wic.net post?

42. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Strider,

No. She’s working for LS now, Mr. R, retrieving Jaime for a meeting with the grieving undead widow for further judgment and mischief, I presume. For me, “Sword!” is all about “OathKeeper”, which was given to her by Jaime. I’m sure her actions are also about keeping her original oath with Cat.

As others have said, GRRM requires us to make that leap from AFfC to ADwD when Brienne shows up in the middle of the night to escort Jaime away from his camp, probably for a fun, light-hearted sit-down dinner and discussion with LS about fake Arya, Arya and Sansa. Stay tuned!

43. House Mormont
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Someone asked GRRM what she said at comic con and he was like “you still haven’t figured it out?” and the audience kept shouting stuff and only one guy got it right

We might not even get another Brienne chapter, since there’s a big silence between that and when she shows up with Jamie, and that’s seen through Jaime’s eyes. I’m excited for what happens at the Stoneheart den

44. Strider
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Strider,

HA! Your logic might still bear fruit, Rygar! Are you a gambling man? How about you bet 10 dragons on your BINGO, I put 10 on my SWORD! I like it when grown men lose to little girls, you know?

45. Rygar
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

GRRM and his build ups. If that’s really what she said then I say, poop.

46. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Hodor’s Bastard,
    GRRM and his build ups.If that’s really what she said then I say, poop.

Just wait until we find out what really happened with Jon!

47. Rygar
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

I’ll wait for Bananarama Snow to tell me how it is.

48. Currawong
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

GRRM has definitely confirmed that she shouted ‘sword’. See here – http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/6425

49. Ghost
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

I think Brienne yelling sword saved herself, Pod, and Hyle Hunt.

50. Rygar
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Currawong,

I just don’t understand why he could just put that in text. THAT was the obvious answer. Why be secretive?

51. Rygar
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Hmm Westeros.com. seems like a great site. Think I’ll join. They seem really open to all comers.

52. Sareeta
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Brienne is among my favorite characters in fantasy, not to mention one of the best in Game of Thrones. While I had a different picture of the character in my mind, when they released pics of Gwendoline Christie as Brienne, I was on board. She captures the innocence of the character as well as the physicality.

53. Currawong
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Sorry in case I revealed a state secret – forgot to put spoiler tag in my post :( If any mod wants to do it, please feel free! Though I don’t see any real need to be secretive, seeing that it’s a published interview with GRRM!

54. arden
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Lightbringer,

Stannis

55. Dominique
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Great, but …
    Lightbringer?
    Did we miss a post announcing a new regular contributor ???

56. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 12:00 am | Permalink

As others have said, GRRM requires us to make that leap from AFfC to ADwD when Brienne shows up in the middle of the night to escort Jaime away from his camp, probably for a fun, light-hearted sit-down dinner and discussion with LS about fake Arya, Arya and Sansa.Stay tuned!

I’m imagining the Mad Hatter’s table for this dinner. Wait, nope. That’s just the mushrooms talking.

I hope we learn how exactly she got free and whatever deal they struck. Maybe she will tell Jaime the story on the road to LS and BWB. It definitely wasn’t clear to me when reading that she said either sword or noose…. I thought while reading it could be a name, maybe one of the Stark kids. Though if GRRM has confirmed what everybody thinks should be so obvious… then that’s that. Still….
    Does noose mean,”ok you hang?” Does sword mean, “we’ll use one to cut that rope around your neck, and we’ll send you on this quest?” Or, “Oh you have a nice shiny one that used to belong up north?” I dunno. Just isn’t that clear to me how things played out.

For all of you on board soooooooooooooo fuckin early I’m sure the wait between Feast and Dance, with regards to this storyline, was…. fulfilling. Nice to know she’s alive for sure, but…. WTF HAPPENED?

57. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 12:10 am | Permalink

Strider:

I really hope we get this scene. What an introduction to a character with such a heavy reputation. If they do it right, this introduction on the show could be right up there with Tywin’s, which IMO was epic.

58. KG
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 1:20 am | Permalink

ebevan91: “Sword!”

We don’t know that. It’s a common assumption, that’s all.

59. KG
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 1:22 am | Permalink

KG,

And personally, I think she said “Arya,” getting Catelyn’s interest. Then she relayed the news that Arya was alive and had been sighted recently.

60. Ser Tahu
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:12 am | Permalink

KG,

As Currawong said above, GRRM confirmed that she said “Sword!”

61. KG
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:26 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Did he? Somehow I missed that. How lame.

62. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 3:01 am | Permalink

A woman is always pleased to see Lady Brienne of Tarth all dressed up and ready to go. Great character, great actor, great casting choice!

63. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 4:06 am | Permalink

Who is Lightbringer?

64. Morna the Witch
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 4:46 am | Permalink

She’s a great female character by far, especially for the troped up fantasy genre. Also played subtly well by this magnificent actress :) Kit’s also apparently good friends with her. He joked once in an interview that he looks like a f%&*@ng hobbit standing next to her.

65. Pau
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 5:18 am | Permalink

Ok I guess I’m the only one but I don’t like Gwendoline very much as an actress…she overacts to the point of parody.

Also Brienne may be my least favourite character.

There , I said it, now I can finally sleep at nite!!

66. A Man Grown
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 5:41 am | Permalink

I always assumed she said ‘Kingslayer,’ not ‘sword.’ Shows what I know

67. A Man Grown
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 5:43 am | Permalink

Pau,

Ok I guess I’m the only one but I don’t like Emilia very much as an actress…she overacts to the point of parody.

Fixed that for you.

68. Pau Soriano
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 6:25 am | Permalink

A Man Grown:
    Pau,

Fixed that for you.

Who are you to fix my tastes may I ask?

We’ll see who has a career after GoT ;)

69. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 6:41 am | Permalink

Pau,

A Man Grown,

And I don’t like YOU >:(

Honestly though, I think both Emilia and Gwen are fantastic.

Dany had a bit of a nosedive in season 2, but that’s only because the writers made her all “WHERE ARE MUH DRUGUNS?!” and “I will do this I will do that, Fire and Blood, I am the rightful queen blah blah blah”. Emilia was amazing in season 1 and season 3, so I don’t think we should damn her for season 2 (which as I said, was the fault of the writing rather than the acting).

As for Gwen, I don’t see how anyone can dislike her as Brienne. I really don’t.

Lightbringer,

Welcome to WiC.net, overlord.

70. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Rygar,

I don’t know about Westeros.com, but Westeros.org is definitely not what you described. I can smell your sarcasm from half a world away. Put some deodorant on it next time.

71. A Man Grown
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

You do have a point that writing can have a lot to do with it. I was never that impressed with Richard Madden on GoT, then I watched Klondike and thought he did an excellent job there. I think the best acting job in GoT yet was Alfie Allen in season 2, but in seasons 1 and 3 he got little to work with.

It’s inevitable with a cast as big as GoT that the writing will be uneven at times for some of the characters.

72. Azzy Mahmood
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 7:36 am | Permalink

A Man Grown:
    Pau,

Fixed that for you.

I can’t stand Emilia Clarke’s acting ‘skills’. She’s great to look at, but that’s as far as my admiration goes. As for her character, there is not a character in the series I care less about than Dany. Dany is a colossal waste of book and screen time, imo.

73. Rygar
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Who the fuck uses org these days? Let me go check my MySpace profile.

74. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

loki:

There’s always someone with this kind of brilliant analysis.

75. Lord Davos
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Azzy Mahmood,

You people make me wonder.
    You know she plays the mad kings daughter, raised by Viserys, right?
    Aerys: BURN THEM ALL!
    Viserys: I WANT MY CROWN!
    Daenerys: WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS!

If Emilia doesnt come across as having a ‘taint’ she is doing something wrong.
    I think she is great at playing an authority. I have to organize activites at my school, and having to deal with 15 year olds is hard enough.
    Looks like Dany picked a thing or two from the dothraki.

76. Lord Davos
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 9:09 am | Permalink
  77. Jen@House Stark
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

A Man Grown:
    Hand of the Kingslayer,

The King in the North was awesome in Klondike, IMO. I could go on and on about scripts for these talented actors but to what avail? Just makes me pissy.

78. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Why is Gwen dressed like a Scottish widow?

79. A Man Grown
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Lord Davos,

Yeah that’s the weird thing. While I have no reason so far to suspect Emilia is a good actress overall (she could still prove me wrong and I’ll eat crow then), she actually does fit the part of Daenerys. Seeming a little awkward, over-the-top, and out-of-pace with the rest of the story is pretty much exactly what Daenerys is like in the books.

80. Lord Davos
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

A Man Grown,

Well, Emilia is an up and coming actress.
    She got something going for herself at Broadway,
    Breakfast at Tiffanys with Em playing Holly.
    Very different from Khaleesi.
    I think Em is good at playing over-the-top either way.

81. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber: There’s always someone with this kind of brilliant analysis.

Thank you GreatJon. What an ass. How about some “obvious evidences” for that opinion. Oh, wait. I could care less, Low Key.

Al Swearengen:
    Why is Gwen dressed like a Scottish widow?

Though she looks very pretty, I can’t help thinking…. R.I.P., P.S.H. I’ll be in seclusion in the west wing.

82. patchface
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I really hope they do Brienne’s journey justice. I know many people don’t really care about it, but for me it’s one of the best stories in the series.

83. BlueDragon
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,
    Quiet hater.

84. loco73
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Love her, and love Brienne. I am soo glad Gwendoline Christie was cast on GoT!

85. whatever
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Rygar:
    Hmm Westeros.com. seems like a great site.Think I’ll join.They seem really open to all comers.

Oh, absolutely
    /sarcasm

86. Strider
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister: I really hope we get this scene.What an introduction to a character with such a heavy reputation.If they do it right, this introduction on the show could be right up there wih Tywin’s, which IMO was epic

They have a lot of characters to introduce this season by the looks of it. It may very well be that Tarly’s first appearance is going to be in KL. I would hate it because I don’t think one can get the proper idea of his power, ruthlessness and unbending nature just through heavy exposition and implied military and economic shrewdness from the Small Council. I think we should see him in action. Maybe we’ll get lucky.

87. Jen@House Stark
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

BlueDragon:
    Al Swearengen,
    Quiet hater.

Awww, he’s not a hater, he’s a Highlander so, it took one to recognize one :smile:

88. Kristen
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    Why is Gwen dressed like a Scottish widow?

I, too, am really confused by what she’s wearing.

89. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

BlueDragon:
    Al Swearengen,
    Quiet hater.

Hater? I love Gwen. Google Scottish Widow and you’ll understand why I said it.

90. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

patchface:
    I really hope they do Brienne’s journey justice.I know many people don’t really care about it, but for me it’s one of the best stories in the series.

I think there’s good and bad. Everything with Septon Meribald, Elder Brother, The Quiet Isle, and the ladies she meets in that town where Gendry ends up before she runs into the BwB is great. As is Randyll Tarly and Hyle Hunt. The only part I’d excise is the Nimble Dick Crabbe stuff and Cracklaw Point, which seemed like a pointless diversion, and adds little.

91. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Strider: They have a lot of characters to introduce this season by the looks of it. It may very well be that Tarly’s first appearance is going to be in KL. I would hate it because I don’t think one can get the proper idea of his power, ruthlessness and unbending nature just through heavy exposition and implied military and economic shrewdness from the Small Council.I think we should see him in action. Maybe we’ll get lucky.

Nah, we may still get him where we get him – just that it won’t come until Season 5.

92. witless chum
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

In the novel the Crackclaw Point arc worked for me in that I thought it might amount to something, but then it doesn’t. I think it’s Martin playing with expectations, because he’s always walking that line between writing a fantasy novel and critiquing the fantasy novel.

In the story, it’s about Brienne having to use her combat skills for real for the first time and also learning a lot about how to handle herself on her own in the world. I also love the little detail from Dick Crabb about everyone in that backwater are ‘good dragon men.’ Which you also get a bit in the Princess and the Queen. I think it’s a fun detail that these guys in the piney woods that no one pays attention to are Targaryen loyalists.

But it’s nothing the show needs, because they’ve given us a more confident, competent independent-acting Brienne from the beginning. Showing the way the war has really devastated the Riverlands is something the show hasn’t really trafficed in, so if they stick with a roughly-similar ‘Brienne wanders’ arc for the season, it’ll probably focus on that and finding the girls.

93. A Man Grown
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

witless chum,

I hope they keep that arc if only so we don’t lose Nimble Dick Crabb! He’s my favorite extremely minor character.

94. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

witless chum:
    Greatjon of Slumber,

Agree on the devastation angle. The show doesn’t do a lot of it – it had some very good stuff in Season 2 with the “demon monkey” carnival barker and of course, the riot, but Meribald and Elder Brother are in many ways the underside of wars that nobody sees - even the so-called Great Wars where folks like Barristan Selmy made their reputations, like the war of the Ninepenny Kings. People talk of the despair that comes from unsuccessful campaigns like Vietnam, but you don’t hear as much about it from wars generally thought as just and right et al. Some believe the books fail by not giving you a commoner’s point of view (which Gendry fills a bit better in the show), but Meribald et al would do well, even if their “arcs” only last a couple of episodes, at most. It’s this aspect of that journey I’m also most excited to see, particularly Meribald’s soliloquy on war and broken men.