Isaac Hempstead-Wright interview with NY Castings
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

NY Castings recently interviewed a number of young performers to see just how they handle working in show business as a teenager. Issac Hempstead-Wright is included in the mix of interviews and discusses some of the more technical sides of being a part of Game of Thrones, including auditions, costume fittings, call times, and a whole lot of waiting around!

You play Bran Stark on the HBO series “Game of Thrones.” Tell us some behind the scenes details. What was your average call time? Do you read the scripts in paper format or electronic?

The average call time is probably about 7:30am for me, but much earlier for the adult actors. My mum is my chaperone so she keeps an eye on my times. We get the scripts electronically and a paper copy too if there’s a read-through. And we get sides [parts of a script] when we are filming, so I learn my lines then as I never have too much to say and you don’t want to be over-rehearsed because the Director will guide you if necessary. It doesn’t take me long at all so the rest of the time I hang out with the cast and crew. I take lots of games on set with me because there is always a lot of waiting. Depending on our location, I might have some time with my tutor, but I prefer to study in the hotel away from the distraction of the set. We have 3-way trailers, and I’m usually next door to Kristian who plays Hodor or Ellie (Meera) or Thomas (Jojen) and we all get on really well. There is always a good catering service, although I probably eat way too many biscuits and sweets things.

What was going through your mind when being fitted for the “Game of Thrones” costumes?

My first costume fitting was so exciting, and it felt like I was transported to another time and place. Far from getting sweaty, the challenge often was to stay warm as we filmed in some remote places.

What were your auditions like for “Game of Thrones” and “Boxtrolls”?

The first “Game of Thrones” audition was in a church somewhere. I had no idea what it was about, but the casting assistants explained what you had to do; it was pretty relaxed and informal. For “Boxtrolls” I just taped a voice recording at home and sent it to my agent. At the second “Game of Thrones” audition I met the producers and read from some scenes. I remember it was a hot day and the tube trains were on strike so we walked past Buckingham Palace and through Green Park which was lovely. There were some other children there for the auditions and their parents were already reading the books – we bought a copy after that!

For Isaac’s full interview visit NY Castings. Thanks to Myrish Swampert for the news tip!

1. Victor
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

HODOR!!!

2. Victor
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

It’s always appropriate to HODOR any article about Bran/IHW.

3. Omar Brown
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

What a great kid, he has always been a champion of the show. Looking forward to hearing his commentary track on the S3 DVD’s.

4. Myrish Swampert
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

No, thanks for noticing me.
    Isaac always seems to be a very sweet and humble person, he’s perfect to play Bran.

5. Stone Cold Bastard
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

One of the best actors on the show and characters in ASOIAF.

And it seems likely that Bran is Bran the Builder or a Greenseer god. I hope he ends up as the next King in the North, or Warden of the North (ruling from Winterfell with Rickon), with Jon ruling Westeros after Daenarys tragically dies .

6. H. Stark
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink
  7. Turncloak
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Awesome interview

8. Lord Davos
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

H. Stark,

Best video yet

9. Darkstar
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

H. Stark:
    New MGoT video :)

Amazing video, but why has that woman taken on Gemma Jackson’s position? I think I read something about Gemma’s husband. I hope all is well for them.

10. A Man Grown
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Hooray for Bran! He was my favorite character during my first read-through of the books (as my chosen name on here attests), and Isaac does a great job in the role. I just wish the show could capture what I love about Bran’s chapters. They’re tough to translate to a visual format.

11. Myrish Swampert
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

So he learnt that the privilege of being Bran Stark is free cakes and sweets on set.

12. mariamb
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

A lovely young man! Can’t wait to see how his story line expands in the coming seasons.

13. Gath
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:44 am | Permalink

I love Isaac so much.
    A very good actor and also gorgeous looking.

14. Roopert
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Darkstar,

I had wondered that too but found this on the GoT Wiki –

“Gemma Jackson left working on Game of Thrones after Season 3. No official statement has yet been made explaining the circumstances of her departure. She was replaced as lead Production Designer for Season 4 by Deborah Riley.[2]“

15. Myrish Swampert
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

A Man Grown,

With the no flashback policy in the show, the Bran material is severely lacking.
    It’s such a waste of talent, Isaac delivered one of the most emotional scenes in the show and he’s rarely given anything to do other than that.

16. ATG
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Such a cool dude.

17. Lord Davos
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Myrish Swampert,

There is still his dreams though.

18. Eleanor
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Myrish Swampert:
    A Man Grown,

19. Matt
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Eleanor: For me the stubborn, quiet delivery of “I’d rather be dead” in Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things is more memorable even than his scene in the rain when Rodrik Cassel gets executed. Great actor, great casting.

What also makes that scene even more powerful is Richard Madden (Robb)’s reaction the second time Bran says he’d rather be dead (when Robb realizes Bran means it and isn’t being melodramatic).