Emilia Clarke covers the Wall Street Journal Magazine March Issue
By Lightbringer on in Interview, Press.

Our Mother of Dragons, Emilia Clarke, has landed the cover of the newest issue of the Wall Street Journal Magazine! The cover feature details Emilia’s journey from drama school kid to Emmy nominee and everything in between to become Game of Thrones’ breakthrough actress.

Emilia’s desire to perform started at an early age when she would accompany her father to many of his jobs as a as a theatrical sound designer:

“It’s a kind of magic,” she says now. “I became fascinated with what it was like to fill that space—not just with people, but with a performance. And with the way you’re all creating something together.”

At 10 years old her father took her to her first open audition for a show in London’s West End where she arrived slightly unprepared and had to improvise the musical portion:

“I was learning a folk song in school about a donkey, so I decided to sing that,” she says. “They said, ‘Do you know anything more current?’ I then gave them my best rendition of the Spice Girls, complete with dance moves—that’s where my musical career ended. It made me realize that I wasn’t quite ready. I think my parents were trying to give me a healthy dose of realism early on.”

And so she made it her mission to get into drama school, applying to every one she could, and eventually graduated from Drama Centre London. It was only a short time after her graduation she found herself in Los Angeles in a room filled with HBO executives including Benioff and Weiss who recounted the meeting:

“We needed an actress who could convincingly embody both the timid, voiceless Dany we first meet, and the Mother of Dragons she later becomes,” say Benioff and Weiss, who made each auditioning actress read from both the pilot and the season finale. “Some of the young women could do fearful but not fearsome—one or two could do the reverse. Only Emilia nailed both.”

Although she had nailed the heart of Daenerys that didn’t stop her from delving deeper into the source material, keeping a copy of the book with her as a study guide:

“It was like having a cheat sheet,” she says. “I took it everywhere with me and kept referring to it, looking for more clues.” Now, she says, she sees more of Dany in herself, and vice versa. “It’s the growth of a girl into a woman,” she says. “She’s being thrown into the deep end, to see if she can sink or swim, and she decides to do it her way. It was wonderful to see a character with such humble beginnings, and such low self-esteem, beginning to trust herself. So my feelings within filming it were echoed—in a much more dramatic way, obviously.”

All of her study may not have prepared her for this fan moment, when she realized the Mother of Dragons doesn’t always get the day off:

“It was his birthday, and he was drunk,” the 26-year-old actress says. “And he said, ‘Please, Mother of Dragons, sing me “Happy Birthday.” ‘ ” After Clarke obliged, the tipsy stranger offered an impromptu critique of her Thrones work: ‘You’re doing it all wrong, you know? You’re f—kin’ it up,’ ” Clarke recounts, mimicking the carouser’s gruff-bloke tone, before breaking out in a laugh. “I kind of wanted to pursue him and ask for notes: ‘What exactly did you mean?’ ” she says. “But the reality of taking a book and turning it into a television series is that you’re dealing with people’s imaginations. It’s impossible to please everyone.”

For Emilia’s full interview and some more pretty pictures visit WSJ.Com!

1. artful_dodger_914
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Giggity!

2. Rygar
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

They whitewashed her face!

3. Jack
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

4. Alex
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Wow

5. Kingslayer
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

She is perfect.

6. Summer is Coming
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Nice interview. The way her eyes look on the cover photo is weird. It’s too late to rant she doesn’t have purple eyes?

I’m so happy she got to play Dany, instead of the original pilot actress. She looks like, acts like and is like Daenerys. Yes, there have been some bumps in S2, but I think it was more related to the scripts/lines she was given and the “too much Dany” when less was better.

7. Rob
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

HODOR!!!

8. Grijnwaald
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

*-*

9. Alvis
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

She is soo beautiful.

10. GeekFurious
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Brunettes are always hotter than blondes. :)

11. Azor Azai
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

id marry her right now

12. Lars
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Summer is Coming:

Do people *still* really think this? Covering up those eyes with coloured contact lenses would be a travesty:

13. Azor Ahai
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

i will marry her right now

14. Alvis
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Lars,

It would be a crime, her eyes are amazing…

15. loco73
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Wow…stunning! I like this natural look, i.e. minimal to no make-up. Beautiful.

Now looking back over the past years, I count my blessings for having gotten Emilia on “Game Of Thrones”. I know in hindsight everything is 20/20, but I just can’t picture anyone else being able to portray Dany…

Oh Mother Of Dragons I bow to thee!

16. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I have yet to see a GoT actor say something assholish in an interview. It’s nice. It makes it easy to be an unabashed fan.

17. Valaquen
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    I have yet to see a GoT actor say something assholish in an interview.It’s nice.It makes it easy to be an unabashed fan.

18. James
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

She is gorgeous

19. Jon Snuuh
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

She’s so beautiful.

20. Lars
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I love her

21. Dolorous Ned
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Jon Snuuh,

Especially with her natural hair. The wig’s not bad per se, but she looks way better without it.

22. Turncloak
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Stunning

23. Morgan
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Geez, how can anyone be that pretty? It’s not fair haha.

24. John
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

…and who is Lightbringer (the author) now?
    No introduction?

25. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Schwing!

26. andy peterson
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

She is so lovely , I still get shivers when I remember the first scene we saw her in when she walked into the scalding hot bath , her ass is just ;O

27. Clob
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

nothing to do with Emilia. This is a video Maisie tweeted of some gal that looks like her:

funny

28. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

She’s way beautiful, and a great casting choice. I hope she can break outta the role when this is all over…. (FIVE TO SEVEN MORE SEASONS PLEASE…. ya, ok. Here’s hoping.)

29. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

She’s awesome. And she was great in Season 3. Can’t wait for more.

30. Greenjones
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

And her triceps. More must be said in their honour. Well-toned arms.

31. mariamb
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:

So true! Emilia is lovely, poised and charming. Very happy for her success.

32. Jon Snuuh
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Dolorous Ned,

Agreed 100%

Those eyes though… I can stare at them all day

33. GG
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

I’m gonna guess that drunk guy hadn’t seen “And Now his Watch is Ended” when he gave his critique. That scene is as close to faultless as any adaption of a GoT scene is ever going to be.

34. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

great to see emilia clarke getting some appreciation. Some people say she hasnt been good in portraying Danaerys, but i think she’s doing a solid job, especially in relation to the dany of the books. However, one thing i noted was that D & D said that she was the only one who could nail both the timid and stronger sides of her character, but as i recall they cast a different actress as dany before they recast her, so why would they go for that actress if she couldnt pull it off?

35. Jake
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

She’s so pretty! Seems like she’s pretty humble, too. That scene in season 3 where she starts speaking Valyrian to Kraznys/Unsullied is hot AF.

36. ATG
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Valaquen: It’s a shame that some fans, like the one mentioned in the interview, can’t be so pleasant in return.

Indeed.

37. That Stark boy
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

NomadicDirewolf,

I think that was after they knew Merchant wasn’t doing it.

38. That Stark boy
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

GG,

She was pretty great on the scenes where she treats with the Yunkish Masters as well. I can’t reread that chapter again without imagining her voice on my head. Entertainment at its best.

39. Arthur
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Holly crap…

I’m not saying this to just be nice or whatever but whoever took those photos of Emilia did an amazing job…

I’ve seen lots of pics of Emilia and I always think she’s beautiful…

But these pics, I never seen her look so gorgeous, I mean she is spitfire hot!

She is getting into the super hot actress category with these pics…

Very beautiful spread, she looks so good with that hairstyle and her face seemed to have thinned out a little.

Her big wide full lips and dark bushy eyebrows and huge eyes sorrounded by that pale fair skin really gives you a beautiful contrast…

Ok I’m rambling now…

EMILIA YOU’RE BEAUTIFUL!!!

40. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 1:02 am | Permalink

And HBO is loving every “Dracarys!”

Totally off-topic but today Time-Warner published the 2013 fiscal numbers for their HBO division…..in three words, it was a fuckin’ awesome year.

Wow. HBO pulled in $4.9 billion last year with $1.7 billion pure profit. That’s huge! We can safely assume that GoT had something to do with that, pirating and all. I don’t think anyone has anything to worry about GoT anytime soon (other than the show surpassing the books…aaaaggghhh!).

S4 is two months from today!….4/6/2014

41. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 2:40 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Why did they blackwash Ducksauce?! WHY?!

42. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 4:51 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Cool beans.

On topic: I love Emila’s Dany. Especially in that new dress.

43. A Man Grown
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Notice how many comments ITT are about her looks, rather than the interview or her acting talent? Just an observation.

44. Lord Davos
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:12 am | Permalink

A Man Grown,

Every time

45. aXiniXe
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

A Man Grown,

Just people making priorities :)

46. Talisa's ghost
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

So you’re reporting magazine shoots now too? Cool! I expect to see Kit’s wet and sullen face soon. Don’t let me down, guys!

47. Arthur
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

A Man Grown,

There was really nothing new, as far as info from the interview, to comment on for us WiC regulars.

Only the pics were new hence the comments about them.

48. lost northern
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 6:54 am | Permalink

I freaking love her and it’s true she is Hilarious :]

49. Roekest
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 8:51 am | Permalink

This feature was well worth my monthly subscription to the WSJ. It finally paid off!!!!

50. Rygar
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Talisa’s ghost,

Ha. Kit actually has the dumbest look on his face in the most recent Men’s Health magazine. Great arms, however.

51. Prince of Pentos
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Kingslayer,

She’s getting so full of herself. What ever happened to GoT’s humble origins??

1. […] Emilia Clarke on the cover of the Wall Street Journal, March issue […]