Game of Owns: A Clash of Kings
By Lightbringer on in Podcast.

The hosts of Game of Owns are putting the final bow on their read-through of A Clash of Kings as they reflect on the book as a whole and deal out the ultimate Owns.

Episode 193 – A Clash of Kings

iTunes | Download | RSS

The book is finished, the Owns are in, and the time is now. Let’s finish A Clash of Kings.

Discussion Topics
No shortage of snacks
Micah’s reread impression
Very strong parallels
So. Much. Magic.
Believers and nonbelievers
The Kings
TV/Book plotlines
Loose ends
Owns of the Book
Your Owns, and profile pics

1. WompWomp
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

It’s the Lovely Month, lords and ladies! Lots of GOO for me and you~<3

Just wanted to shake up the first post for a change. Now let the GOOiness flow through thy earholes in a lordly fashion! [pops in earbuds]

2. Ser Tahu
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I have finally gotten around to listening to GOO, and have been marathoning it over the last few weeks. I’m currently in the middle of the season 3 episodes, and have been thoroughly enjoying everything thus far. Thank you for the free entertainment (it has much needed, considering my computer has been broken for the best part of a month), and please don’t send a bear riding on a camel to beat me with a Hodor prosthetic!

Oh, and just for the record; I love Theon.

3. Renly's Peach
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I guess Selina is doing her very best Daenerys impersonation.. In that she only shows up once every other fifteen chapters or so.

4. Renly's Peach
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Also feels weird to get a murky shout-out in this one, but WHOO!
    Actually, what I meant about “first chapter-final chapters” parallels DOES have to do with Cressen and his death, but not so much Lewin’s.

Although that’s also a pretty neat point you raise that I never noticed before. I guess when you think about it, the book really does open and close with a maester dying.

5. Atomix
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

STANNIS!!!!1

6. Cerulean Snidget
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach:

Has there been any explanation for Selena’s absence? It seems weird that she just disappeared…hope she’s okay!

7. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 4:29 am | Permalink

Cerulean Snidget,

Apparently she’s been working on a short film.

8. Turri
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach,

“first chapter-final chapters” parallels

Very interesting regarding ADWD.

Anyway, thanks GOO for a fun re-read-along, keep it up.

9. blackfish
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach:
    Also feels weird to get a murky shout-out in this one, but WHOO!

Sooooo, what was the parallel? I have to know now!

10. Lavignac
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 12:13 am | Permalink

I want to point out That the rebirth of magic has indeed reached King’s Landing: the Pyromancers were surprised at how efficient the wildfire production process has become, when before their output was minimal.

Of course that is not commonly understood at court and the king will be in for a surprise if/when the Others or Dragons get there!

Thanks for the show.

I really wish Selina’s prolonged absence were acknowledged and explained some way?

11. themyrishlenscrofter
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink

My own goes to the Great Other who is mentioned for the first time by Melisandre in Clash. Quite an underwhelming introduction for potentially the ultimate villain of the entire series. She describes it as a black eye which I guess will invite comparisons to Sauron. But I imagine something more like the Homunculus in Fullmetal Alchemist in some cave beyond the wall, sending out white walkers to do its bidding.

12. Renly's Peach
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

blackfish,

Has to do with Sansa’s final chapter, actually. Eric’s so called “magical hairnet” that Sansa got at the end was pretty much introduced and explained in Cressen’s first chapter.

themyrishlenscrofter:

But Father lived underneath Central.
    Sooo does that mean The Great Other has been living under the Red Keep in King’s Landing this whole time?
    DUM DUM DUUUUM!