Season 3 Blu-ray: The making of a fight between wolves and wildlings
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

The release of Game of Thrones’ third season on Blu-ray is getting closer. And seemingly each day brings us another preview of the set. This time it is the Wall Street Journal providing a sneak peek at the making of Jon escaping the wildlings in “Rains of Castamere”.

Winter Is Coming: It’s gotta be tough to film a fight scene with wolves that aren’t really there. They managed to pull it off though. The wolves looked real and real dangerous. That eagle on the other hand…

1. Rygar
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

More tits

Loved this guy as Orell. Handsome features in a weird way. You can really tell the quality of some actors when they exemplify greatness with minor characters like this.

Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Well, that eagle could have been much much worse :) maybe my standards just aren’t that high.

By the way, do you know that orel means eagle in several Slavic languages? Well now you do, hehe.

3. Hounded
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:56 am | Permalink

I never saw much of a problem with the eagle. It looked fine to me…

4. OldeCrone
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Interesting (at least to a non-show business person like me). Things have certainly come along way since the days when one of my classmates concealed a tomato ketchup squeezy bottle under the toga to squirt fake blood on the person playing Julius Caesar in the assassination scene of the Shakespeare play of the same name.

5. Kessell
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:27 am | Permalink

I think the eagle bashing is mainly that close up shot of Jon trying to remove what looks like a large yellow and brown sock puppet from his face, but its only for a about 3 seconds. Watching it back now I feel like they should have made the sequence slightly shorter and maybe have the yellow not be so bright as it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb, which makes you pay too much attention to it in the first place. To be fair though the eagle itself looks pretty decent. Again watching that scene back, if picking anything to nitpick, the sword fightling lacks a bit of intensity.

6. Rygar
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:30 am | Permalink

OldeCrone,

Why not just use a sheep’s bladder like the Frey’s did for Talisa at the Red Wedding to fake her death? That bitch is a Lannister spy!

7. SHK12344
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:36 am | Permalink

The whole great Jon Snow adventure with Wildlings was botched by the show. There was no emotional tension or any sense of danger. Jon just joined and left Wildlings as if he he went shopping for new clothes. I just hope this coming season will do a better job with the character, since this is when Jon stops being a child and becomes a man.

8. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:

I enjoy little tidbits like that! Thx, HMR!
    Unfortunately for flying wargs, Mel’s favorite barbeque is orel.

9. R0b0
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Kessell:

I remember reading that the fighting choreography had to be changed after Kit broke his ankle shortly before filming. Maybe that’s why?

Although to be honest I’ve been kinda disappointed with most of the fighting choreographies since season 2. I think they replaced their fight coordinator? Hoping the battle at the Wall this season will prove me wrong. But I’m not impressed with Oberyn’s crazy air spins in front of the Mountain, or at least what we’ve seen of it so far.

10. Rabid Grunt
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:57 am | Permalink

R0b0,

That’s pretty ridiculous considering how unbelievably awesome the Hound/Beric fight was.

11. Jen@House Stark
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Why didn’t they show the woofer scene(s) in S3? NoOneUnderstaaaaands!!

12. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Rygar,

And she must be fake Arya too. In league with the Boltons all along!!! It all makes sense!

13. R0b0
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Rabid Grunt:
    R0b0,

Well that’s why I said “most”, not all. Though I could argue that how good a fight looks also has to do with how the director handled it. So maybe that’s the real issue, idk :/

As far as fighting goes, Beric Vs Sandor was certainly one of the highlight of the entire series, I’ll give you that. (Medieval lightsabers and all)

14. Lord Davos
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

SHK12344,

They should follow Peter Jackson and add way more songs and tales.

15. Rygar
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

That’s not PJ, that’s JRR. PJ adds more CGI and redundancies.

16. Rygar
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Incorrect as the Northman would surely recognize her. She is Lady Merryweather, as Lord Stannis’ Soul predicts. Shes a plotting, turn coating, kind of ass you could bounce a quarter off of, Royal bitch!

17. Lord Davos
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

I meant, put into the adaption.
    It sucks at joking here.

18. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Volantine swamp… Is that a thing?

19. KG
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Really, an eagle can move its head and its wings and its feet – birds aren’t built for much emoting. It looked as dull as any nature documentary I’ve seen of eagles slaughtering stuff, so … I have no complaint about it.

20. KG
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

It’s hard to swing convincingly at someone you don’t mean to hit. And most real weapon combat happens too fast for your eye to follow, anyway; if it isn’t slowed down, no one would know what was going on.

True, this video clip is a fencing bout, not combat – but it demonstrates how quickly a skilled person can move when they intend to hit you.

R0b0

P. S. Enjoy the water dancers

21. Marillion
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

I love these little teasers. ONLY 2 MONTHS TILL SEASON 4. Hell yes

22. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Marillion: ONLY 2 MONTHS TILL SEASON 4. Hell yes

I really wonder if it makes you wanna say. Hey-nonny, hey-nonny, hey-nonny, hey!?

We’ve still got much and more to be revealed before then. Can’t wait ’til Monday morning (when I can watch the 15 minute feature over here)

23. Stone Cold Bastard
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Hounded:
    I never saw much of a problem with the eagle. It looked fine to me…

I know. It looked fine.

24. ATG
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Imo the fight between Jon and Orell was the weakest fight in the entire show thus far, I know its hard to swing at someone when you dont actually want to hit them but still the swings in that fight could have and should have looked much better.

As for the eagle, although it didnt look spectacular it looked decent enough to me so I was satisfied with that. Btw it was only after reading HmR’s comment that I realised that orel does in fact mean eagle in my native language, amazing that I never saw the connection before :D.

25. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Way to go Rygar! Throwin rocks tonight! Nice return to top form, sir.

Jen@House Stark,

Are you Angry incarnate??

I have yet to rewatch all of season 3. Did Bran remember seeing Jon during the fight? I can’t remember, but I seem to remember that scene not quite making all the connections the book did… The wolves looked pretty good tho

26. loki
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 4:22 am | Permalink

Why would you consider it tough? All the actor needs to do is fall when he is told to and let the cg team do the rest (and by the rest i mean the 4 seconds of animated wolves), it’s not like the director tried to make this episode good or anything.

Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:05 am | Permalink

KG,

Exactly, it’s hard for a bird to be menacing. I’ve seen some eagle and hawk attack videos (including bird on human), they look quite similar.

28. KG
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:29 am | Permalink
  29. Lord Davos
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Loki, such a funny guy!

30. Jen@House Stark
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Sister Wrister:
    Rygar,

Way to go Rygar!Throwin rocks tonight!Nice return to top form, sir.

Jen@House Stark,

Are you Angry incarnate??

I have yet to rewatch all of season 3.Did Bran remember seeing Jon during the fight?I can’t remember, but I seem to remember that scene not quite making all the connections the book did… The wolves looked pretty good tho

I can’t remember what I had for dinner last night, Sister, I need to re-watch those scenes myself. Missed Greywind @ Red Wedding, really wanted him to be shown not going down without a fight, not a caged animal simply slaughtered. I get the idea, it shows more brutality as they portrayed it. However, for my own selfish reasons, they can’t show enough direwolves for me. :smile:

31. Hollyoak
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Rabid Grunt:
    R0b0,

Best Fight of the Season! I liked the use of wide shots to give a sense of perspective. As Beric was moving forward, swinging his sword, that was a great scene! Loved it!

My complaint with fight scenes in general is that the camera is always too close in. That was my problem with the first Batman film. As we got to the Dark Knight Rises, Nolan finally pulled his camera back so we could get a sense of perspective.

32. Morna the Witch
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

The part where you could clearly see the eagle ripping parts off Jon’s face was what stood out to me. Pretty brutal. The eagle itself did not bother me. CGI might not have worked so well. We see Jon see the wolf and Bran may reveal in season 4 that he saw his brother through Summer’s eyes. What is also important is that we see Jon see how Orel wargs in his moment of death, after which the eagle then attacks Jon. Important for later, no?

As usual, Jon’s storyline has had the misfortune of yet again being overshadowed by other arcs of the same episode.

33. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Morna the Witch,

Thanks for that. Rewaaaaaatch soon. And yes, I did take that as an important shot, foreshadowing…. Which is kinda weird considering he’s sorta in the dark about most warg stuff at this point in the books…

34. Morna the Witch
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

I think he is in the dark but he is also aware of it to an extent, but he resists it, to his own detriment maybe. Anyone who also can’t take the prologue in aDwD as containing some very important info seriously should stop reading the books. Jon being in the dark about many things, including his parentage and his true abilities as a warg, is what makes the Ygritte line “you know nothing Jon Snow” so incredibly tragic.

It might be a stretch but I think show Jon is already a warg. The look he gave Orel upon their meeting was very curious when Ygritte acts surprised that he has never met one. And when Sam sees Ghost at Crasters very briefly later on, Ghost kind of turns away, like he didn’t like being seen, or had been “found out”. We will see soon enough anyway.

35. Patchy Face
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:15 am | Permalink

Morna the Witch,

Huh? Bran already revealed he saw Jon through Summer – he told Rickon that he had seen Jon escape from the Wildings.