Nathalie Emmanuel promoted to series regular for Season 5
By Ours is the Fury on in News.

We’re two months away from the Season 4 premiere, but more news is coming in already for Season 5. It seems that Michiel Huisman isn’t the only cast member getting bumped up to series-regular next year. According to Entertainment Weekly, Nathalie Emmanuel, who portrays Daenerys’s translator Missandei, will be promoted to regular status as well.

In a recent interview with Access Hollywood, Emmanuel hinted at the further development of her character in the upcoming season, with the former slave evolving into her role as a translator, handmaiden, and friend to Daenerys. The actress also teased that viewers will be learning more about Missandei, and seeing “her human side” as opposed to the servant aspect of her that we saw in Season 3.

Ours is the Fury: Missandei in the novels is a child, and Emmanuel being an adult may have opened up some new possibilities with the character. With a potentially expanded role for her, and a film career on the rise for Emmanuel, it’s logical that Game of Thrones would want to keep the actress on board, with a promotion to regular.

1. HouseRay
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Hodor.

2. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Good. Next is cheeseboy.

3. HouseRay
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

HouseRay,

I’m kind of proud of myself, first post.

4. Walter Harrow
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Isnt this a bit of a spoiler? This just shows that she doesn’t die this season

5. Jared
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Good for Nathalie Emmanuel! She was great in Season 3. Glad to see that she’ll be getting more to do going forward.

It’s interesting that we heard two reports of actors being promoted for Season 5 (which, though inevitable, isn’t technically official), when we still haven’t heard conformation of which actors, if any, will be joining the main cast for Season 4. To be fair, that’s probably because they were already under contract in some form, whereas Huisman and Emmanuel hadn’t been locked down until recently.

Another interesting tidbit: that EW article claims that there are 29 series regulars going into this Season? By my count, there were 24 regulars whose characters were still alive at the end of Season 3, and that’s including Joe Dempsie, who as far as I can tell hasn’t shot anything for Season 4. FYI, that count does NOT include Michelle Fairley – when she comes back, she’s more likely to be a Special Guest Star than a full-time cast member.

It would be great if there were a way to confirm that number with EW, since I can’t tell if the number 29 is a mistake, or if 5 actors have already been promoted to the main cast for the upcoming Season 4, and that information simply hasn’t been made public.

If that number is accurate, I would guess that the actors most likely to have been promoted for Season 4 would be Gwendoline Christie (Brienne), Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow), Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton), Gemma Whalen (Yara Greyjoy), and Pedro Pascal (Oberyn Martell). Christie and Rheon would seem to be the two safest bets, since they’ll have their own storylines this season. Pascal is the one I’m the least confident on (since we know that he will only be a one season character), but he’s been so prominent in the promotional materials, and will be such a major part of the season, that maybe regular status was warranted.

Other possibilities include Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy), Ciaran Hinds (Mance Raydar), Diana Rigg (Olenna Tyrell), Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell), or Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen Reed) and Ellie Kendrick (Meera Reed). I guess we won’t know for sure until we see their names in the opening credits.

6. GeekFurious
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Walter Harrow:
    Isnt this a bit of a spoiler? This just shows that she doesn’t die this season

I argued this last year. Any casting or promotion to the next season should be treated as a major spoiler.

Oh well.

7. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

But wait….didn’t Missandei get eaten by Viserion after the battle with the Heechee sandworms at the end of ASoS? I know she has a very pretty face and amazing body and she has mastered Valyrian extremely well, but they are really deviating from the books with this move…oh well….

Upon further reflection, I approve of this action.

8. Myrish Swampert
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Season 3 DVD launch promo event in Toronto next week, Isaac and Kristian will be attending. :)

Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Jared,

I reached out to Hibberd and he says that number comes directly from HBO.

GeekFurious,

It’s also Game of Thrones news and as a Game of Thrones news site, one would expect us to report Game of Thrones news. And I would argue that someone surviving a season is not a “major spoiler”. It’s moderate, at best. Especially for a character like Missandei.

10. Greenjones
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Myrish Swampert,

Do you know where in T.O.? I go to school there and mayhaps could drop by… Unless you need to pay to go or something.

Nathalie is a stunner btw. Best-looking girl on the show in my opinion and that’s a real compliment given this cast.

11. Veltigar
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

My hunch tells me that Missandei won’t live passed the first part of tWoW. So I wish her a lot of luck in season 5 (and perhaps in season 6 depending on how far they take Dany this season)

As always cast Mads as Euron. And while we’re at it Martin Shaw for Maester Marwyn

12. Kevin
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

boobs

13. Greenjones
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

What’s your theory of what happens to her?

14. Jared
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Thanks, Winter! I appreciate the confirmation. I would love it if we knew exactly who those actors were, but given the touchy legal nature of these contracts, I expect that HBO has good reason for keeping it under wraps. But hey … now we have something else to speculate about for Season 4 – as if we needed anything else!

15. Greenjones
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Permalink
  16. King of the Ashes
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

What! Missandei does’t die, she’s the greatest character ever and now it’s spoiled for me. That’s it i’m so upset I need to let off some steam…back to Flappy Bird the greatest game ever.

Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

King of the Ashes:

Flappy Bird, yes! Just got a high score of 50.

Yeah, I’m pretty proud of myself.

18. Andrew
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Jared,

The credits on the back cover of the season 3 DVD actually list Gwendoline Christie, Iwan Rheon, Diana Rigg, and Ed Skrein(!) as regulars. It seems one way or another, it was always the plan to make Daario a regular. But that seems to be happening next year.

29 regulars would mean 5 new regular cast for season 4, atop 24 surviving regulars frim S3. If that DVD cover implies that Christie, Rheon, and Rigg are in, that leaves two to figure out. Based on the past few seasons, participation in the audio commentaries and/or animated lore shorts implies a regular contract. Based on those lineups, I would predict 2 of the following 3: Hannah Murray, Gemma Whelan, and Michael McElhatton.

Winter, any way we can get that official list from HBO or do we have to wait for the official season 4 press release?

19. King of the Ashes
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Nice score man, i bet the bitches will come out of the wood work for you. Im not gay but even im a little turned on.

20. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Game of Thrones twitter just posted this preview of this sunday’s featurette.

21. Myrish Swampert
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Grey Worm and Missandei sex scene when

22. Greenjones
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

New preview for foreshadowing.

EDIT: Nick Scryer quickdrawed me.

23. Darkstar is the key
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I’m going to have to disagree with WiC, and Ours here and say that this is a spoiler that should not be posted on the front page.

24. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

+5 bonus pts for linking first…Crawling men on fire? Front perspective of champion of Meereen? Looks great! Thx. (*all giddy*)

25. Greenjones
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink
  26. carne
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Why won’t Instsgram videos and photos show on my phone? Do I need to download the app?

27. Walter_Eagle
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Seems like a weird time to promote McElhatton; he should become more infrequent than he was in S3. Christie, Rheon, and Rigg make sense based on the DVD and in general. Murray, Whelan, McElhinney, and Pascal make more sense (Pascal as regular would add shock value later, like Harry Lloyd or Mark Addy). Dempsie could easily be out for awhile. McElhinney seems particularly logical if Huisman and Emmanuel are announced to be getting promoted the following year and Barristan is ultimately more important in the same storyline.

28. King of the Ashes
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Darkstar is the key,

I always thought that Jack Gleeson announcing he was quiting “when the series is over” was a spoiler. I mean who announces that if it isnt his last season. Im sullied so i didnt care but i bet others did. Jack shouldnt have said it in my opinion but he seems to hate pop culture anyway.

29. Darkstar
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Darkstar is the key:

Frankly, I was expecting to see a lot of fanboy wishes for her to take Irri’s place in Dany’s bed. I am pleasantly surprised to be mistaken.

30. Darkstar
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard:
    Nick_Scryer,

+5 bonus pts for linking first…Crawling men on fire? Front perspective of champion of Meereen? Looks great! Thx.(*all giddy*)

Do we think a dragon set them ablaze? Cannot. Wait.

31. Greenjones
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink
  32. Roekest
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Here’s to hopefully seeing her in full nudity taking a bath with Dany this season! Thanks, HBO!

33. zod
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Darkstar,

One of those guys seems to be pulled violently by something. So, yeah, I’d say that a dragon is involved in that scene. ;)

34. carne
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Darkstar,

I think that’s some unlucky wildlings.

35. Darkstar is the key
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Darkstar: I totally disagree with you. Stating that a character dies would be a spoiler, but mentioning a minor characters actor gets promoted to regular is not. It in no way shape, or form tells what happens to that character.

Frankly, I was expectingto see a lot of fanboy wishes for her to take Irri’s place in Dany’s bed. I am pleasantly surprised to be mistaken.

36. Sarishah
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Does that make her the only non-white series regular this season?

37. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

First off, since nobody else has said it, SEASON 5! YAAAAY! (I know, we knew it was going to happen, but still, in some ways, it’s “news.” GoT will be back. This is awesome. Doing happy dance.)

On whether this is a spoiler or not. Answer is no. We find that the person who is right now the 26th or 27th most important character will *survive* through this season. This show’s future and the plot do not turn entirely in Missandei, and it also tells you nothing about what happens to her. Is Missandei the real mother of dragons? Is Missandei a bastard daughter of Ned Stark (you scamp Ned)? Is she going to reveal herself as Ironborn? Is she going to break into song every time she speaks from now on? We don’t know! It doesn’t say! It just says she lives! So eesh.

Now, for new series regulars:

–Gwen Christie has to be a layup on that one.
    –Ian McElhenny would be a logical choice given above news.
    –Ewan Rhoen sounds like a good choice.
    –Pedro Pascal would make sense.
    –More than likely #5 is Diana Rigg, just because she’s the Dowager Countess of Westeros.

But if it’s me, I’m locking down Kristian Nairn as a regular. Why? Think about it (and I’m only half-kidding) here — there are a lot of important characters on this show. Lots of people we don’t want to see leave, lots of people more crucial to the plot.

But other than Peter Dinklage, would any other character look so out of place to have been re-cast than Hodor? I still picture various faces in my head when I think of Asha Greyjoy, or Balon, or Missendai. But Kristian Nairn has completely taken over every image I may have ever had as Hodor. :)

38. Marillion
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I think Nathalie Emmanuel is the most beautiful woman on the show. I’m curious to see what the writers come up with for her cause during aDWD she basically does nothing

39. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

Season 5 is going to decide the future of GoT, and I can’t wait to see it.

40. Satin
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Jared:

Joe Dempsie did most likely film for this season. Cat Taylor accidentally spoiled that she needed pictures of Gendry for the storyboard artist on twitter back in October, in a tweet that she deleted really quickly. You can find it online, if you dare to brave tumblrs of Arya/Gendry shippers.

I really like that they put more emphasis on Missandei. It almost consoles me with Irri’s demise, and the Dothraki all but disappearing from Dany’s storyline.

…Am I the only one too incompetent to get the quoting right, or is there a bug?

41. Darkenmal
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Darkstar is the key: It’s being promoted to a regular NEXT season. Not this one. and honestly, regardless of it’s their site or not it’s not really up to them how “spoilery” something is because they already know. If there is even one person who sees this that didn’t want to. It’s a spoiler and it’s not cool. Bottom line.

No way to argue out of that one really. It’s like saying that for a major character that they aren’t going to be appearing next season. Takes the guessing out of it for the viewer.

42. Satin
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Sarishah:
    Does that make her the only non-white series regular this season?

Next season, actually.

I would think that Indira Varma is pretty likely to be in the main credits. Casting an actress like her means likely for Ellaria what casting Natalie Dormer meant for Margaery – a bigger role, and a lot more screentime. Building up Ellaria as a character gives us one regular who definitely grieves for Oberyn, and she makes sense as a substitute for the Sand Snakes.

43. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Way to blow it man. That’s twice in a week! ;) Heechee sandworms…… TREMORS!

On topic: Since when did somebody NOT dying become a spoiler? I mean, I suppose they could’ve waited to announce this for a few months, but really…. How many unsullied actually pay attention to who’s credited how?

Take er easy dudes.

44. Satin
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister:
    Hodor’s Bastard,

Way to blow it man.That’s twice in a week!;)Heechee sandworms…… TREMORS!

On topic:Since when did somebody NOT dying become a spoiler?I mean, I suppose they could’ve waited to announce this for a few months, but really…. How many unsullied actually pay attention to who’s credited how?

Take er easy dudes.

Of course we also know that “regular” doesn’t necessarily mean “will live” see Harry Lloyd, Mark Addy, Sean Bean, James Cosmo, Oona Chaplin, and I’d bet money Jack Gleeson is still a regular this season. Sometimes I think they put some people in the credits so they can say they’ve killed people who were in the opening credits.

45. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer:
    GreatJon of Slumber,

Season 5 is going to decide the future of GoT, and I can’t wait to see it.

I don’t agree. I can’t wait to see it, yes, but I don’t think it decides the future. I think the show is in until it’s done. It’s not going anywhere, certainly not after season 5.

46. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

My guess since we heard of Missandei’s aged-up casting is that she will replace Irri in Daenerys’s girl-on-girl sex scene.

Adam Friedberg is a visionary.

47. Darkstar
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Greenjones:
    Two more stills from foreshadowing preview.

Do I spy The Hound? …….shivers………

48. Darkstar
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands:

Adam Friedberg is a visionary.

Told ya!

49. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Darkstar: Told ya!

No, I have dated posts that I guessed this over 2 years ago:

50. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Satin,

Good point, but if they didn’t list major characters as regulars they would be projecting certain death

51. Easteros bunny
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

She will be the new Ros. Pointless background character becomes important for no reason.

52. Satin
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister,

Sister Wrister:
    Satin,

You’re totally right. In general, I would think this particular move means, like Fury indicated, that HBO would like to keep their up-and-comers close, lest they decide they’d rather act in something else. If you look at who was promoted to regular over seasons two and three, it’s either people who are already “bigger names” , or those actors who are most likely to go off and have a career, so it’s better to nail them down early.

With that in mind, my picks for the five new regulars would be Gwendoline, Iwan, Indira Varma, Pedro Pascal, and either Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Hannah Murray or that kid who’ll play Tommen.

53. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Easteros bunny,

Yes, because being multilingual accounts for nothing at court.

54. Satin
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Easteros bunny:

She’s not a background character, though – certainly not on the show, and not in the books either. It’s not like they can have Dany only talk to the dragons day in day out, it would look weird. And neither Ser Grandpa nor Captain LoveLorn or Smarmy Boytoy are really the same as a trusted friend besides Jorah will likely be kicked out at the end of this season .

55. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Crackpot time! Maybe they will combine Missendei not only with Irri, but also Quaithe. Have her deliver the Quaithe lines from ASOS/ADWD in a trancelike state or something. As far as I know there’s been no indication that Quaithe will be returning and they always look to condense characters when they can. Why not give Missendei a mystical side like they did with Osha? If they’re promoting her to a regular it must mean she has a lot to do.

56. Joshua Atreides
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Michael McElhatton better get regular billing as well.

57. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    Crackpot time!Maybe they will combine Missendei not only with Irri, but also Quaithe. Have her deliver the Quaithe lines from ASOS/ADWD in a trancelike state or something.As far as I know there’s been no indication that Quaithe will be returning and they always look to condense characters when they can.Why not give Missendei a mystical side like they did with Osha? If they’re promoting her to a regular it must mean she has a lot to do.

Sorry, but given they’ve taken the time to cast Quaithe, I don’t see this happening, and it would make very little sense. “No indication” that Laura Pradelska is returning is hardly the same as her being in or out.

58. loki
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Who next? Olyvar? Edd? Hodor?

59. House Mormont
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

well I was expecting Quaithe to give prophecies from the House of the Undying as well as her own, so that would make her important, and if they were getting rid of this aspect it’d be to get rid of a magical element, not to add a magical element that has never been present in the books

Missandai is a very interesting character herself, being a slave most of her life with Unsullied brothers, and being very very intelligent

60. Robbwind resurrected
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

I will try not to be like Valyria and spew Doom and gloom all over the place, but am I the only one who sees a lesbian scene between Dany and Miss. She will be sad and lonely when she exiles Jorah and when Dario is captured.

61. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Satin,

Again, good point.

Joshua Atreides: Michael McElhatton better get regular billing as well.

Yeah dude, this. Wtf? Surprised this hasn’t been announced yet.

Robbwind resurrected,

I’m looking forward to this. The only volcanic spewing will be……………

62. Veltigar
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Greenjones:
    Veltigar,

What’s your theory of what happens to her?

I think she’s being build up as a motivational victim to complete Daenerys’ transformation from ineffective leader to a real warrior queen.

She’s arguably Dany’s favorite person in the entire world at the moment. She’s an innocent and she has suffered. She has also declined to be send back to her native lands more than once. At the same time her character really doesn’t go anywhere anymore after they leave Meereen. Especially, if you believe that Dany will wind up in the Vale with her army, where another certain highborn girl is that will probably be called upon to take on the best friend role

That just screams victim to me. I think she’ll probably be the last good person to die in Meereen. When Dany returns from the Dothraki Sea, just in time to defeat the Volantinian marines, we’ll get the big reveal (probably from Tyrion) that the GG is the harpy and that Daario was in cahoots with her (making him Dany’s betrayal for gold). Cue the drama, Missandei dies during Daario’s attempt to escape. Jorah/Barristan/Victarion/Grey Worm cuts Daario to pieces.

After that Dany decides to leave for Westeros. She puts her prisoners to death. She evacuates the city and then she torches the place, to honor Missandei with the biggest funeral pyre ever (and at the same time she does a Nymeria, i.e. she makes it clear that there is no way back for her people).

Of course this is all a bit to detailed. But I feel pretty confident that the gist of it, namely Missandei dying and motivating Dany to complete her transformation as a leader and leave for Westeros is going to happen.

Better one Mads as Euron than ten not Mads’ as Euron.

63. Phil
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

She’s so hawt.

64. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

This is interesting. I’m curious why you think destination Vale.

65. Ren Snow
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Finally some that shares my believe that the Green Grace is the Harpy

66. Arya Dunyett
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Why is this actor the only major female who doesn’t get different hair styles? Are the stylists in thrall to her ethnicity? She had a cool do when she was first introduced, but since then, the same old ‘Fro.

I hope season 4 sees some imagination used. Give this girl some braids or feathers or something that spotlights her finel features and beautiful skin.

I await your PC attacks.

67. Lord Davos
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Arya Dunyett,

She is hardly the only one. Ygritte, Arya, Yara etc.
    Doesnt really look like she will change from the previews either, too bad.

68. Satin
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Ren Snow,

I thought everyone thought that. Well, everyone I’ve asked so far. I mean, since Barristan thinks she’s a harmless old biddy, she obviously has to be, right?

Daddy Bolton would be a nice fifth new regular, too, absolutely.

69. House Mormont
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister

The Vale is a common landing place, that’s how the Andals got to Westeros when they invaded. Also, since King’s Landing will be hostile to her and Dorne is no longer her ally, it’s the only place she can go. And it’s all very convenient, If Littlefinger does a typical opportunistic Littlefinger thing and allies with her, it’d be Littlefinger v Varys in the dance of dragons part 2

70. Veltigar
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Ren Snow:

Finally some that shares my believe that the Green Grace is the Harpy

You haven’t visited Westeros.org I figure? :p It’s a pretty common theory on that site ;)

Sister Wrister:
    Veltigar,

This is interesting. I’m curious why you think destination Vale.

Well, let’s start off with what we know for certain. Dany won’t land on the west side of Westeros as per GRRM. That leaves the east coast for her consideration.

On the eastcoast we can rule out Dorne (since it’s allied with Faegon and to far removed from the action to be of value), the Stormlands (Faegon’s hangout), the North (to far removed from the action and divided between Stannis and the Lannisters), the Crownlands (KL is still in Lannister hands although it might be taken by Faegon. Either way after her long journey at sea it wouldn’t be wise to go for KL straight away)

That leaves the Vale, Cracklaw point and everything in between (tiny spec of the riverlands). Out of these three stretches of land it makes more sense to land into the Vale because:

1) The Vale has yet to commit themselves to one of the warring factions. Now, Dany needs their troops because the allegiance of the Vale knights would make her look less like a foreign invader + it would seriously up the quality of her troops. Right now her troops are not nearly as good as the GC or any normal Westerosi army (the only people up to standard are the Ironborn, Barristan’s knights and probably the Volantinian Navy. Either way, an excellent fleet and good fighters but no good heavy cavalry)

2) The Vale is unaffected by war. If Dany lands anywhere else (Dorne, the wartorn Riverlands or the North) she will struggle with feeding her army. But in the Vale there is food a plenty to feed her people.

3) To safely unload her entire army (and perhaps other followers who want to settle in Westeros) she could really use a major port (also handy as a link to Volantis). It just so happens that Gulltown, the major harbor on Westeros’ eastcoast (it’s bigger than White Harbor and in contrast with KL it’s port wasn’t affected by war) remained loyal to the Targaryens during Robert’s Rebellion.

4) She has Tyrion with her. He has unfinished bussiness with LF and he knows that he probaly isn’t very popular in the Vale. He also knows that the Lord of the Eyrie is a weak and sickly child. Easily manipulated once into their custodity. Tyrion also has his ties with the Mountain Clans which might come in handy.

5) Symbolism: A young boy is lord of the eyrie, just like in Aegon I his time. I can really see Dany doing a Visenya and trying to offer SR a ride on Drogon as a way of bribing him into giving her his support

6) The Vale doesn’t seem to have a problem with female rulers. We know that the mother of the boy lord of Aegon’s time ruled in his name. We also know that they fought on Rhaenyra’s side during the first Dance of Dragons.

7) The Vale also offers an ideal HQ. Once she’s properly installed there it will be very difficult to dig her out. From her position she’s able to threaten KL and force a wedge between the Lannister held Riverlands and the capital. Her location near the Riverlands might also give her first pick off the Riverlords when the war between her and Faegon starts off.

That are basically all the in story reasons I can think off. From a writers PoV I think it also makes sense for the Vale PoV characters (Sansa and if I guess correctly Brienne in tWoW) to be merged with another bigger group. We know that after a while we’ll see a cut in locations in tWoW and PoV’s will either start dying like flies or be huddled together. Sansa is still in the south and I don’t see her going North or to Casterley Rock anytime soon. That basically leaves Faegon’s camp (who’ll probably be snagged by Arianne) and Dany’s camp. Out of the two I think it makes more sense for Sansa to wind up with Dany.

Mads for Euron!

71. Dennai
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

That’s a good theory and I could subscribe most of it. But I disagree in a couple of points:

-Tyrion is NOT with Dany. Common assumption is that he will join her, but that was also common assumption that he’d join her in ADWD and it didn’t happen.

-I seriously doubt that Robert Arryn would be thrilled to ride a dragon, he was terrified doing the descent of the Vale, and for sure, a dragon wouldn’t accept such a weekling as its rider, nor has he Targaryen blood in him.
    -Dorne is unaffected by the war too. In fact, I’d say that is even more unscathed that the Vale where we know that the mountain clans have increased their raids. The only conflicts that Dorne have to deal with is Darkstar (at the moment a very localized problem) and the pirate fleet mentioned in the samples for TWOW (not too sure if they were attacking Dorne or at that point were more of a general threat).

72. Phil
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Dennai,

Why would GRRM have Tyrion end up ALL the way in Meereen if he weren’t going to ultimately join (or at least encounter) Dany? His whole arc in ADWD is left hanging with his plan to convince the Second Sons to reunite w/ Dany… I think it’s possible that this was supposed to occur in ADWD but Martin had to push it into the next book due to pacing issues from the Meereenese Knot thing.

73. Dennai
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

You won’t hear me screaming in outrage if that happens. You could hear some noise coming from me, but not in outrage:)

However the timing is all wrong for that:

The Dany/Irri situation was a result of a teenager recently widowed, craving some intimacy. When Irri offered it, she took it, because there was no one else and still the situation was somehow frustrating to her, because Irri gave her loving as a service. Bur at this point in the show, Daario is already around. She fancies him and, unlike Irri, he really desires her. The only way I can see the female pairing in the show is if they make Missandei be into Dany, and so far we haven’t been given any hints of going that way.

Robbwind resurrected

Please, be careful with spoilers!

But if they want to give those characters some “quality time” together, I kind of agree that is the way to go.

74. Dennai
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Phil,

I agree that it is the most probable outcome, but the fact remains that it hasn’t happened yet and that there’s still a chance (unlikely as it is) of never happening.

75. Leo
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Dennai,

Maybe Dany just wants to practice with Missandei for Daario.

76. Annara Snow
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Ren Snow:

Finally some that shares my believe that the Green Grace is the Harpy

There are people who don’t?

77. tysnow
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Ecstatic that HBO was wise enough to secure her for future seasons, Ms Emmanuel is a talented and gorgeous actor. It was important to sign her to a longer contract as her character along with Ser Barristan have to rule Meeren once Dany is killed in the pit by Drogon at the end of season 5.

78. Annara Snow
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

I love how everyone is up in arms about every tiny book to show change – a character will not dye her hair! This sword or armor does not look exactly like it does in the book! The show is ruined! – except it’s about the possibility of two hot women on the show having a sex scene. Then a bunch of book readers are up for it and nobody cares if it will or won’t make sense for it to happen. ;)

79. Annon
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Missandei is all through ADWD man..

80. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:27 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

Thank you House Mormont, kinda puts extra meaning to King of the Ashes…:)

Veltigar,

And thank you Veltigar for this very complete and succinct rundown. I have not considered Dany’s return from such a detailed and strategic perspective. This all makes sense to me, but I am unsure about the way the second dance will unfold, especially if Tyrion is her companion, and potentially piloting his own dragon. He has little and less respect for JonCon, but seems to have a favorable opinion of Faegon. This, however, could all change as we learn more about his true identity (or lack thereof)
    Anyways, cheers dude!

81. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:41 am | Permalink

Annon:
    Hodor’s Bastard,
    Missandei is all through ADWD man..

Seriously? You thought I was serious? Now that is funny!

82. Lord Davos
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Annara Snow,

I think people are thirsty for some details. We are book readers, we are obsessive and want small book details on screen, so we forget the show is changing. Details such as Renlys peach, Hizdahrs locusts, Sansas hair, Aryas name changes, they have bigger meaning than most. They are symbolic, and that works so well on TV.
    But we are happy for Tyrions scar, Jaimes goldenhand, Jons scars, Danys dragon jewelry and characteristic details.

83. House Mormont
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Veltigar,

Agree with all of that, except that Tyrion isn’t a good reason to go to the Eyrie. The worst thing he’s ever done is arm those Mountain Clans, thousands of people have died and lost their homes. The Vale men, Royce, Waynwood etc will not be likely to ally with someone if Tyrion’s by their side
    It’d make more sense for him to carry on with the Ironborn to the west side of Westeros to the isles and the rock

84. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Veltigar:

I tend to believe Dany’s first stop will be Dragonstone. There’s symmetry, going back to Aegon the Conqueror. There’s her longing for home (hello red door!) and the fact that she was born there. There’s Melisandre’s talk about raising stone dragons, which could be a misinterpreted vision of Dany’s dragons being there.

Of course, she’d have to move on from there. And yeah, taking a dragon up to the Vale to “persuade” them to join her, perhaps kidnap Sweetrobin and/or Alayne, is a definite possibility. But I don’t see her taking an army of Unsullied and/or Dothraki there. They’d be far more likely to strike for King’s Landing, perhaps with the Vale knights ordered to attack from the other side at the same time. Or perhaps she’d want the Vale army to go north, trying to win the North over to her side (and stop the fighting). And then, once she gets news of the Others, there’s only one direction she’ll be heading…

85. Lord of Castamere
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Mads for Euron all life !

86. Lord of Castamere
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 9:12 am | Permalink

And his brother for Victarion , if possible !

87. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I’d be happier about this news if D&D didn’t whitewash the character.

Signed,

Obligatory Clichéd Complainer

88. Veltigar
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Dennai:
    Veltigar,

-Tyrion is NOT with Dany. Common assumption is that he will join her, but that was alsocommon assumption that he’d join her in ADWD and it didn’t happen.

I think Phil has voiced a perfect response to this concern.

Dennai:
    Veltigar,

You have sadly misinterpreted the point here sport ;-) During Aegon I conquest his sister wife Visenya flew to the Eyrie and offered little Ronnel Arryn a ride on her dragon (obviously, he was a passenger and she was riding) in exchange for his surrender. The symbolism was included in the in story reasons. From a political POV it makes sense for Dany to emulate Aegon and his sisters as much as possible. That would make her look less like a foreign occupier and give her Westerosi supporters a change to stress that Dany stands for a glorious future. It’s basically a PR-move from Dany’s part.

That doesn’t mean that SR will accept her offer (in fact I believe he’ll piss himself when she gives him the offer – which from a writer’s POV could make for a really hilarious scene). It certainly does not mean that he’ll be a rider, he’ll merely be a passenger.

Dennai:
    Veltigar,
    Dorne is unaffected by the war too. In fact, I’d say that is even more unscathed that the Vale where we know that the mountain clans have increased their raids. The only conflicts that Dorne have to deal with is Darkstar (at the moment a very localized problem) and the pirate fleet mentioned in the samples for TWOW (not too sure if they were attacking Dorne or at that point were more of a general threat). And this goes off-topic, but once we mention Darkstar. The conflict started when he tried to kill Marcella to provoke war with Kings Landing, but if the Martells join (F)Aegon to that same purpose, wouldn’t be logical toreach a compromise?

Dorne is also removed from KL or any of the major warzones. Furthermore Dorne is a fucking dessert. The Vale on the other hand is one of the main agricultural area’s of Westeros (the Reach produces more and the Riverlands are on a par), with plenty of food to spare. The Vale also has a major port, a lot more manpower (Vale = ca. 40 000 to Dorne’s 25000) and it’s currently held by an easily controlable child. And then there is of course the inconvenience that Dorne will probably have rallied to Faegon’s side by the time of Dany’s landing.

Feeling lucky punk? Well, cast Mads as Euron already

89. Veltigar
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister:
    House Mormont,

Thank you House Mormont, kinda puts extra meaning to King of the Ashes…:)

Veltigar,

And thank you Veltigar for this very complete and succinct rundown.I have not considered Dany’s return from such a detailed and strategic perspective.This all makes sense to me, but I am unsure about the way the second dance will unfold, especially if Tyrion is her companion, and potentially piloting his own dragon.He has little and less respect for JonCon, but seems to have a favorable opinion of Faegon.This, however, could all change as we learn more about his true identity (or lack thereof)
    Anyways, cheers dude!

I’m confident that Tyrion won’t come to Westeros on dragonback. I think that would be a little to much (eventually, I can see Tyrion go kamikaza with a dragon but that’s ADOS material).

I also think that Tyrion has different understanding of JonCon and Faegon. Sure, he thinks JC is a tool and that he’s being played by Varys and Illyrio, however he still has a healthy respect for the mans ability as commander.

As to Faegon, he had such a favorable opinion that he manipulated him into going to Westeros instead of going to Meereen. Basically, he doomed him to death imo. Not that there is much lose ;-) the Cyvasse incident and his insistence on going to Westeros and leading the attack on SE shows a boy with a lot of arrogance and entitlement issues; A true Blackfyre-Brightflame product.

Shall I compare casting Mads as Euron to a summerday? That decision is more lovely and more temperate…

90. Veltigar
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    Veltigar,

1) Thousands? Where did you come by those numbers? Raids have gone up I’ll give you that but it has hardly affected thousands or more than a few hundred.

2) Tyrion didn’t arm the Clans, the Lannisters did :p Ultimate responsibility falls into the actual Lannister camp.

3) Daenerys could, with the help of Tyrion, bring peace between the Clans and the Vale men. That’s another great PR-victory for Dany’s camp (it might tie in with HtH demise and the discovery of Timet’s parentage. Just to refresh people’s memory: Timett is now the primary chieftain of the most powerful Clan on the Mountain. There is also a good chance that his mother was the older sister of HtH mother. Which could make him SR heir.)

As to the IT. Forgot about the dragonhorn? Even if it backfires (which it probably will) the intent was still there to steal here dragon. Not something that Dany will take in good spirit. And even if she did somehow forget about that, a full on alliance with the Ironborn is a bad idea. Lords of the Reach, Riverlands, North and Westerlands will baulk at kneeling for a Queen who has the Ironborn as primary backers.

Mads for Euron

91. Veltigar
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Lyanna Mormont: This is an interesting line of thought. However, I’m not sure I agree all the way, mainly for one reason – we don’t know how much of the situation Dany will know about when she gets to Westeros. She may not even know about fAegon, if she never gets around to chatting with Tyrion. (She could meet him and immediately throw him in chains, bringing him along as a bait/hostage/tool. Tyrion does get to spend a lot of time in chains.) And there’s no reason to assume she’d know that the Vale is the only place with an intact army.

And how exactly would she disembark and feed such a humongous mass of Dothraki, Freedmen, sellswords, Unsullied, Ironborn and Volantinians on Dragonstone? I can see her sending some troops to take it, but a full blown invasion needs to be carefully prepped and planned. That makes the Vale the most likely reason for all strategic reasons mentioned in previous posts. That’s were the main body of her army will land and strike.

Mads Mikkelsen as Euron! Stannis wills it!

92. Veltigar
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Lord of Castamere:
    Mads for Euron all life !

Mads Mikkelsen for Euron will make ya jump! jump! jump! this castingdecision will make ya jump! jump! jump! aw yeah!

93. House Mormont
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Thousands is pure guesswork, in Arya’s chapters the impression is that the entire Vale is affected, and entire villages are being wiped out. Thousands is a pretty modest guess. The Mountain probably wiped out tens of thousands of Riverlands smallfolk, and their are greater numbers of clansmen and they’re still doing it while the Mountain stopped in aSoS. And I’m guessing you saying that Tyrion isn’t liable for arming them is a joke…

But yes I don’t think it’s a good idea to ally with Ironborn morally and that won’t make her look good, but I don’t think Daenerys is carrying on her “save the world” path. Part of me thinks Vic will bind the two dragons and leave before Dany gets there, but that’s not possible unless she’s going to dispose of the entire Volantene fleet using only Drogon, the unsullied, the brazen beasts, and the Second Sons.She needs Vic’s ships to get out of the hole she’s dug, and I’m betting that she gets out.

94. Imping ain't easy
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

I realty hope Missandei takes Irri’s place in a certain lovely scene from asos.

95. Rose Papillon
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 8:10 am | Permalink

But…what about Gwendoline Christie?

96. loco73
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Well this is something to celebrate! Given how Missandei is portrayed in the books and the size of her presence, I’m actually intrigued to see how the series will try to incorporate her further growth as a character… Good tidings ! Good to get an albeit unofficial confirmation, that GoT will get Season Five greenlit at some point this year…

Ahh the Sand Snakes…that should be interesting!

PS We need Gemma Jackson back, badly…and pronto…hopefully by Season Five we can have her back…and we can forget the show was starting to look like Moulin Rouge…

97. bufkus
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Myrish Swampert:
    Grey Worm and Missandei sex scene when

How’s that going to work, when Grey Worm is a eunuch?

98. zap rowsdower
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Walter Harrow,

Was Sean Bean not a series regular for season 1?

99. Pau Soriano
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Veltigar: Yes, our army is growing! Soon the ground will shake beneath our feet, while our enemies will cower in the shade, helpless when they realize it’s our arrows that block-out the sun.

Unfortunatelly I don’t think we’ll get Mads, for what I’ve been reading even if NBC cancels Hannibal the show will continue somewhere else.

Regarding Dany I just don’t see her landing in the Vale. Probably because it’s what makes more sense and we all know how Martin likes to do exactly the opposite.