Maisie Williams teases a scarier side of Arya for Season 4
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Maisie Williams hit up New York Fashion Week yesterday with her Game of Thrones co-star Sophie Turner and fashion designer Christian Siriano. At the event Maisie spoke with WetPaint about what we can expect from Season 4, including a “scarier” side of Arya that is “very different”.

“We’ve seen this kind of fun loving Arya who says it as it is and makes jokes, but this year she’s starting to change and we’re starting to see different sides to her,” Maisie explained. “I don’t know how people are going to react. They might love it, they might hate it, but I think she’s becoming a lot more powerful in this world where women are getting bashed aside.”

She also revealed that Season 4 won’t exactly follow the pattern of previous seasons, leading up to a grand finale, instead the action will be spread throughout the season.

“There’s not a big finale,” Maisie added. “There’s things dripped throughout, so it’s not just leading up to the ending. There’s other little twists in between.” But don’t worry, she’s confident fans will “really, really like it.”

For the full article visit WetPaint and hopefully we’ll get more from the lovely Stark sisters this week.

1. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Hodor

Edit: I was just on that bit of Wetpaint as I refreshed the new page over here, to say I’d just found this amazing article.

For coming up with all this cool content before anyone else, Lightbringer, you are truly Hodorsome :D

2. Onion Knight
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Hodor

Edit: :-(

3. Marillion
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

“There’s not a big finale,” Maisie added. “There’s things dripped throughout,” I think she means people dying throughout.

Hey-nonny,hey-nonny,hey-nonny-hey.

4. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Marillion,

You just keep on singing, Marillion, the sky is the limit.

5. cosca
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I’m curious. Most people have predicted that the finale episode will have Tywin shitting gold, Only Cat and UnCat. That would certainly make for a very grand finale, even with everything else going on. Perhaps the RV vs Gregor will be in episode 7, and Tyrion vs Tywin will be episode 8

6. wargsareawesome
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

SWEET! Braavos and the House of Black and White, here we come!

7. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

cosca,

T vs. T absolutely MUST be in the finale!!

8. Eljuma
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

cosca:
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

SWEET! Braavos and the House of Black and White, here we come!

…there is no big finale for Arya.

9. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

It’s safe to predict that she will be boarding the ship for Braavos in the finale (not a particularly big moment, but a major turning point for her story), with the bar fight and subsequent abandoning of Sandor happening at some point in episodes 6, 7 or 8. There will probably be some invented material but given the other bits from the books (the village, RW survivor etc.) they won’t need to do too much.

Season 5 is a whole other matter, and they end up in the situation they faced with Bran and having to invent loads of new things or move them forward from ADWD and beyond, but given the sheer amount of new plots in future seasons, it’s also likely the standard 9 appearances a season will be cut down to 6 or 7.

10. Hanna
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

“There’s a kind of big evolution [for Sansa in Season 4]. She begins to kind of manipulate the people who have done wrong to her in her past. She becomes a powerhouse character but in a very subtle way. It’s really good. I feel like I’ve been waiting for a moment where I can manipulate the people that have come before me, so it was like I had been waiting for it for so long. It was a release.”
    — Sophie Turner

11. Kyrenna
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Lollius Palicanus:
    Marillion,

You just keep on singing, Marillion, the sky is the limit.

Comment of the day, I say :)

12. cosca
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Eljuma,

Are you responding to me? Your quote is all messed up.
    Anyway, fairly sure she’s speaking about Season 4 as a whole in that part

13. cosca
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

Why though? It would be a perfect scene to end an episode on, and it would give it more weight, instead of just being in the middle of the finale and being potentially overshadowed by the rest of the episode. But the final scene of the season will almost certainly be Stoneheart, preceded by Only Cat. It would also mean that they could have Tyrion arrive in Pentos and meet Illyrio, as set up for next season

14. facelessarya
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Hanna,

I’m really excited to see both Arya and Sansa this season, but I think changing Sansa and making her more mature and manipulative will play in her favor. Sophie’s too old for the naive girl aspect of Sansa to be believable despite how her character develops in the books. I think it’s a smart choice to play up manipulative Sansa.

As for Arya, I hope they don’t make her into a killing machine like last season. Arya just wants to be with her family and get home, she doesn’t enjoy killing she does it to survive.

15. Greenjones
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Hanna,

Where’d that quote come from?

16. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

My running guess is that the places in the story of the Tickler and Polliver have been interchanged.

17. facelessarya
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink
  18. Greenjones
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

facelessarya,

Thanks. That’s intriguing, I wonder what she’s referring to…

19. facelessarya
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

No problem!

I wonder if they’ve made her have interactions with people in KL or if she’s only referring to her time with Littlefinger… Could be either. I’m hoping she at least has some good scenes with Cersei or Tyrion. (It would be a little too optimistic of me to wish for a Jaime/Brienne/Sansa encounter, right? Even if that could help develop certain “honor saving” plotlines… )

20. Lord Davos
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

facelessarya,

Arya in the show is older than in books, she wouldnt have anything against murder.
    She wanted the freys dead anyway.

21. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

cosca,

No and yes:

I’d put money on UnCat being the finale, but I think the “Only Cat,” moment could come a bit earlier. We know they’ve cast the Vale lords, which to me suggested that we might go past the end of ASoS for Sansa and Littlefinger and get into AFFC material.

They might be doing it differently – having the Vale lords at LF and Lysa’s wedding or something – but that’s what the casting suggests to me.

22. facelessarya
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

It’s just a matter of personal taste, I suppose. I didn’t like how they made her angry and violent all the time, enhancing that “she’s a badass, she kills people!” fanbase mentality. But what’re you gonna do…

23. Spidey-Dan
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Her comments seem to be at odds with D&D, who said that the battle in episode 9 will be bigger than Blackwater. It seems like season 4 will still be building to a big finish. It’ll just have a lot more meat in the middle.

24. Sean C.
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

facelessarya:

Sophie said exactly the same kinds of things about last season, and we know how that turned out, so I wouldn’t read too much into it.

25. Rage of Hair
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Wow who cares. I really want more information about Maises hair. How long is it? Will she cut it again to keep it short or is the show gonna let her grow it out? Either way I need something to bitch and moan about.

26. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink
  27. facelessarya
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

Promo season is the only time when I’m happy. Wishful thinking is my life source.

28. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

Quick, somebody draw Lightbringer!

29. Turncloak
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

I hope scary Arya means we will get this scene:
    “Is there gold hidden in the village? Is there silver, gems? Is there food? Where is lord beric? Where did he go? How many men were with him? How many knights, how many bowmen? How many, how many, how many, how many, how many, how many? IS THERE GOLD IN THE VILLAGE?

Since the Tickler is gone I hope we get the same scene with Polliver instead.

30. Greenjones
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Rage of Hair,

She’s wearing extensions. She said that, I think, at the SAG awards.

31. clk
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I agree with you on that. I can’t see Tywin’s death not being an episode clicfhanger
    cosca,

32. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

clk,

It wouldn’t be worth asking Charles Dance back in season 5 just to play his putrid corpse on the bier during the funeral scene, it’s better to get it out the way in the finale so they can instantly jump into Cersei’s descent into rose-scented paranoia in episode 1. It also means the trial-by-combat can be in episode 7 and Tywin’s death in 8. D&D said the last 3 episodes had their favourite moments though, and I guess that might be why they timed the season premiere so that Memorial Day would come between 7 and 8, thus having a straight trio of great episodes.

33. Talisa's ghost
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

Last year she said Sansa is becoming a player instead of being a pawn, I don’t remember anything about manipulating people who have wronged her in the past. This sounds too much like Littlefinger’s line from the trailer, which is why I tend to believe there might be some truth to it, even though actors are paid to oversell things.

34. Sean C.
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Talisa’s ghost,
    Yeah, but Sansa wasn’t becoming a player instead of a pawn last year. Something like a third of her scenes were built around making a joke of how dumb she was, especially in the second half of the year, where it was the object of three of her four appearances; and she was quite literally treated like a pawn by the show itself, which was far more interested in other characters talking about her than in her own perspective.

So I’d like to believe that Sansa will start getting some respect from the writers again, but Sophie’s comments really don’t strike me as a sign of anything, given her past spin on things (she also apparently has the head canon that all those dumb things Sansa said last year were Sansa pretending to be dumb, which is clearly not what the writers intended).

35. Talisa's ghost
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

I get your point and your frustration with last year scenes, trust me, but like I said, what she’s saying sounds like what LF is saying in the trailer about doing stuff to people who have hurt you in the past and I took it as an indication that this time some of it might be true, since most likely LF is talking to Sansa there.

And about Sophie’s comments on her S3 scenes, I don’t think she actually believes those things, she’s just trying to make the writers look better, since they gave her a job and all. Like I said in my previous comment, these actors are paid to say most of these things. You gotta sell the product to get the profit.

36. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

facelessarya:
    Hanna,

I’m pretty sure Arya doesn’t kill Daeron in Braavos just to survive. She does it for a multiple of reasons, she is angry and she wants to do the right thing like her father (Ned killed the deserters of the NW).

37. cosca
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

facelessarya:
    Hanna,

Killing machine? She killed one person. In any case, It didn’t look like she enjoyed that kill in the show at all. Looked more like she felt nothing

38. facelessarya
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

cosca,

She still talks about killing people, the Hound, beats the old man unconscious with a stick, kills the Frey. The show’s putting focus on her rough, violent nature rather than fleshing her out a bit more which is what bothered me. That’s what I was trying to communicate. Again, my own personal taste, some people like her in that light which is fine, it just doesn’t appeal to me greatly.

39. House Ray
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Not to be controversial but I really think the Tyrion vs Tywin scene is going to be different than the books, maybe even to the point of shocking the book readers… I just don’t see how it will play with him killing Shae and then crossbowing Tywin on the crapper on TV with the way they’ve developed Tryion. Thoughts?

40. Leif
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

facelessarya,

But……that’s what she was in the book. Heck, she was significantly more violent in the books. And I never remember her feeling that bad about it at all.

And everything you complained about happened in one episode, what about the rest of the season where she didn’t kill or threatened anyone? Most of the season she was just a little girl who wanted to go home. I just don’t get the whole “TV Arya is just a violent killer” thing you are complaint about. It’s just not true at all.

41. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

facelessarya,

There shall be no more whitewashing of Arya! :) She is destined to become the impassioned and trained killer that Jaqen saw in her (and encouraged). Any conscientious and reserved behavior should be applied to Sansa, although she may surprise us yet.

42. clk
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

Yes, agree with you on that

43. Daniellica
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

facelessarya: I wonder if they’ve made her have interactions with people in KL or if she’s only referring to her time with Littlefinger… Could be either. I’m hoping she at least has some good scenes with Cersei or Tyrion.

The teaser for the preview tonight shows Sansa gazing all OMG SO PRETTY!! in the snow, which I assumed was Sansa on the balcony at the Eyrie, thus out of KL. But I could be, like, totally wrong. :D

In other news, holy woman-boobs, Arya! Err… 0_o

44. Stacey
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

facelessarya,

That’s bothering me too. I don’t think the writers or Maisie actually understand Arya. Her last scene in S3 proved that IMO. The majority of her kills in the books were about defending herself or for her own self-preservation. While her prayer suggests that she wants vengeance, none of her kills were about that. Not even Dareon, whose death was about honor and the problematic values her culture instilled in her. But D&D’s choice to make her first purposeful kill specifically about vengeance is further proof that they don’t know how to handle complex characters (as if we really needed more proof).

I also worry about what they’ll do with Sansa. After what they did with Margaery (turning her into a one-note diet!Cersei) I’m afraid they’ll turn Sansa into. Is Cersei 3.0 in our future? Bleh.

45. Daniellica
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I don’t think Arya’s a cold-blooded killer by any means, but I also think judging her actions (in the book or the show) by our own values is also completely missing the point. Sandor had it right–they’re all killers. They live in a world where death is close at hand from all directions, by illness and childbirth and war and famine and poverty, not to mention cave-dwelling duelers and maniacal wedding players. And dragons.

Arya’s a child, even aged up in the show. She’s suffered more trauma and loss in such a short time than most, even in that world, and has a keen eye for injustice. Her murder, as portrayed in the show, of Frey men laughing about the butchery of her brother and her mother–doubly traumatic due to its proximity to her reaching them, finally getting home–if I’d been in her position I doubt I could have restrained myself, either.

I’ve always seen Arya as an avenging angel. I don’t think she’s only about survival–there’s more to her, a cocktail of despair and anguish and anger and hatred driving her to find her place in a world that’s taken from her everyone she loves, and reconciling with that.

Anyway. :)

46. Annara Snow
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:07 am | Permalink

Sean C.:
    Talisa’s ghost,
    Yeah, but Sansa wasn’t becoming a player instead of a pawn last year.Something like a third of her scenes were built around making a joke of how dumb she was, especially in the second half of the year, where it was the object of three of her four appearances; and she was quite literally treated like a pawn by the show itself, which was far more interested in other characters talking about her than in her own perspective.

Can you blame her for trying to make sense of the nonsensical writing, and try to make her character at least somewhat consistent with the season 2 characterization?

47. Katy
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:43 am | Permalink

Though I’m not entirely sure what to make of the ‘scarier side’ comment, I am very curious to see what Arya will be up to this season. Hopefully, D&D have managed to keep her true to her book counterpart.

As for Sophie’s comments, I’m not quite convinced. Sophie has mentioned in multiple interviews while discussing past seasons that Sansa is this 14-year-old girl that manipulates the people around her – and that’s nearly verbatim from one particular interview – when the opposite seems to be true. Given what we know of her storyline, things may turn out differently this time around, but I won’t believe it till I see it.

But going back to Arya/Maisie, I wonder how much longer they can keep up – or think they can keep up – the boy disguise. Doesn’t seem to be working too well anymore. ;)

48. Annara Snow
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 2:03 am | Permalink

Katy:

She doesn’t have to keep up the boy disguise anymore at his point in the story.

49. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 2:19 am | Permalink

Daniellica:

I can semi-agree with that term “avenging angel”…but book-Arya’s “free-willed” Jaqen kills at Harrenhal and the sentry preventing her from leaving Harrenhal were before the real despair set in. She definitely did not kill just for survival…it is more than that. She was impressed by Jaqen (and Syrio before him). In S5, as in AFfC/ADwD, she will continue her training to hone her assassin skills, which I believe will prepare her for violent merging of storylines in the future.

In S3, did Arya intentionally kill the Frey soldier out of simple revenge or to see how it felt…with the Hound, a renowned killer, watching? I think both, with emphasis on the latter reason.

50. ShadowStalker
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Question here for people…

Why does everyone think that Uncat will make an appearance this season? I don’t know if it has been leaked if Michelle Fairley was on set for filming. But if not… then I don’t see it happening necessarily. I mean it worked in the books for the prologue… but I would think that is better off cut left off the show.

51. Daniellica
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

ShadowStalker: And instead, they do mentions of the BwB having a new leader, mentions of Stoneheart, and hanging Freys… and then when Brienne is brought back to the BwB for her trial… BOOM… UnCat appears. I think that is much more compelling for the TV show. And I would think that it could create some crazy buzz. A holy shit moment. End of Episode shot.

Totally agree. Much more powerful to reveal UnCat when Brienne is brought to “court,” but who knows how far they are going to get into Brienne’s storyline? Most of her material in the book is riding on a horse thinking about things, brief interlude in Maindenpool, she meets Pod, riding riding riding, riding some more, hey these woods are confusing, hey I wonder if this dude is going to kill me, riding riding, FIGHT!!!! (where I think she’ll bite an ear off, myself), let’s go to the inn, hey who are these outlaws?, oh crap my nose is gone, hey I’m in a cave, OH SHIZIZLE!

But…I was just trying to agree. My bad. :D

52. Arya
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 6:56 am | Permalink

I think I’ve heard that episode 9 is called Castle Black.. So I think the fight with the wildlings vs the Nights Watch will be the finalle…

Really looking forward to Season 4!!!!

53. Abyss
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 7:08 am | Permalink

Arya,

I don’t have the source at the moment, but it is not called “Castle Black”. That was a misinterpretation from an interview.

1. […] Turner joined Maisie Williams at Christian Siriano’s Fall/Winter show for New York Fashion Week, and like her TV sister, […]