24 hours to London – A Game of Thrones screening adventure!
By Winter Is Coming on in Events.

HBO UK Screening

On Tuesday, HBO UK held a preview screening of some bonus content from Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season. Long-time WiCnet reader JacMac was invited to attend and wrote up this report for us of the screening and her 24 hour whirlwind trip to London.

24 hours to London – A Game of Thrones screening adventure!

Last week I was surprised by HBO UK with an invite to attend a special screening in London. The screening was of some of the DVD extra content from the soon to be released Game of Thrones Season 3 DVD box set. Coincidentally WiCnet was also asked if they wanted to send a representative, hence me now sitting down and writing up my 24 hour pilgrimage to London.

Soho HotelI set off on Tuesday morning and after a pleasant 6 hour train journey I arrived in the capital at 3pm. Not long after I met up with @AKA_Qthulhu, @Westerosorg, @TitanConBelfast and @GusAndLeo for pizza before we headed to the Soho Hotel for the special screening.

On arrival we were directed to the hotel’s own screening room area where we were signed in by Julianne who works for HBO UK’s PR company. They had invited a number of bloggers, hosts of websites and ‘super’ fans (guess that’s me!) to the event.

We had a short time to mingle where we met Colin who works on Throne Cast. He filled us in on some of the changes coming up this year on the show. Not sure how much I’m allowed to share. It’s going to be longer, meaning they will be able to more special reports e.g. fan events and the presenter line up has changed.

Red Wedding CakeChoccywoccydodah had created a fantastic Red Wedding themed cake which was on display. Sadly I only got a quick glance at it but thankfully @AKA_Qthulhu took some great pics.

At 6:30pm we were ushered into the screening room where we settled down in front of the large HBO sign. At 7pm Ian from HBO UK entered and introduced the evening. He explained that we were going to be shown the documentary special on the making of “The Rains of Castamere” which is available on the new Season 3 DVD release (WiCnet has already shared a clip of some of it).

He then introduced our Game of Thrones guest of the night Maisie Williams. Maisie was bubbly as ever and answered a few questions from Ian. Quoting loosely (I’d been busy taking photos when the questions started), she feels Arya is developing and changed significantly from the character she auditioned for. Regards the Red Wedding reactions, she’s never known people to video their friends reactions to a show before. She particularly liked the one of a woman sobbing on a blanket. She felt the show had got it right if they managed to make the viewer cry. She repeated her left/right handed story and said it was great to work with Needle again in Season 4. Talking of season 4 she mentioned working with Rory and how much she enjoys it. The Hound and Arya’s relationship has changed. She no longer hates him as much. They’re not friends but they’re getting on better. He’s helping Arya to toughen up. She’s now mixing some of his fighting skills with those she learnt from Syrio. HBO UK have tweeted some of Maisie’s quotes if you want to see more.

Maisie Williams at HBO UK Screening

Maisie then left us and the screening began. It lasted close to an hour. The episode played in one corner of the screen and they would have commentary in an overlay discussing aspects of each scene. For the Red Wedding scenes they went into much more detail and showed many behind the scenes shots overlaid on the main shot.

I didn’t take notes as I wanted to see it, however particular memories are:

David Nutter praising the child actors in the show especially Art Parkinson (it was during the scene where Bran and Rickon part. He said he was impressed how they have developed as actors.

The description from David on how they used the extras in the room to help adjust the lighting ready for the more sombre scenes to follow. The extras took the candelabras out with them when they followed the bride and groom in the bedding scene.

The cast and crew recounted how the tension and emotion built as they neared the final scenes as they knew they were going to be saying goodbye to people they thought of as family.

They all praised David Bradley’s delivery of Walder Frey. They found it hard not to laugh at the humorous way he delivered the lines and were glad they got all the giggles out of the way in rehearsal. Oona Chaplin seems quite funny too. She certainly made a few amusing comments.

The two scenes that always get me are Rickon’s crying with Bran (not helped by seeing Art’s big eyes on the big screen!) and the killing of Grey Wind.

HBO UK Goody bagOnce the airing finished we left the screening room and were handed a goody bag. The contents varied a little from person to person but in mine was a t-shirt, Storm of Swords Part 1, Game of Thrones coasters, a book mark and a piece of the wedding cake. Some people got a Longclaw letter opener instead of a t-shirt.

We mingled a little longer then headed to a pub to discuss the evening before we all had to head our different ways. I left for my overnight coach where within 5 minutes I was sharing my wedding cake with a GoT fan (hello Dominic) and informing another non-viewer/reader (hello Chrissy) really why she should be watching/reading it. Dominic even took a picture of the cake to show his friends!

I arrived home almost exactly 24hrs from when I departed on my Game of Thrones journey. Huge thank you to HBO UK for inviting me (and the little GoT fairy that made that happen). I had a great day. It was worth the effort and the sleepless night on the bus!

I’m sure those that were with me will be frustrated at how much I’ve forgotten/left out. Check out their Twitter feeds for more details on the day!

HBO UK has been posting photos from the evening including ones of Maisie with the cake. Also more of mine can be found on my Flickr page.

Winter Is Coming: Thanks for the report, Jackie! Sounds like it was a fun time. And that cake looked amazing. Hope it tasted as good as it looked!

1. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

first!

hahahha finnaly ! On a not so “exclusive” report tough :-/

2. Jack Griffin
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Hodor!!!! and First!!!! Finally!!!!

3. Qthulhu
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Things we learned #52 – If you like A Song of Ice and Fire, you’ll like strawberry milkshake and garlic bread with mozzarella and bacon.

Also, a brief moment of panic when the presentation appeared to end just as the first strains of “The Rains of Castamere” were heard. It turned out that it was just the Menu changeover point to the next part of the documentary.

Looked a lot better than previous years, I enjoy the picture-in-picture format.

4. Jack Griffin
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Hoyti!!! *shakes fist* ^ )’.')^

5. Zack Luye
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Qthulhu,

Strawberry milkshake and garlic bread now nothing I consume today will satisfy the hunger x_x

6. Exeter GoT Society
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Great write up Jackie! Im one of the ones to have gotten the Longclaw letter opener!
    My write up is here: http://redd.it/1xqtp9

A great evening!

7. ebevan91
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

So where’s that countdown timer you were talking about back when the first S4 trailer aired?

8. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

There’s an HBO UK? then why the hell isn’t there an HBO channel in the UK?

9. Patchy Face
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the report…someday my GoT addiction will be staunched by getting to attend some kind of special event!

10. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Well I live out in the middle of nowhere….New York City….which apparently cannot attract such major previews as this.

11. Rygar
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

My my Art, what big eyes you have.

The better to see the Seven Kingdoms when I’m on top the Iron Throne, bitches!

12. azad Injejikian
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Have fun!

13. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Art is really good. I recently watched him Dark Touch. He played a child abuse victim very well although the movie itself is mediocre.
    His crying skills are up there with Claire Danes and Alyson Hannigan.

14. Salty Dornishman
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Oh, I feel your pain on this one. I live in Los Angeles, and we have never had a GoT screening or had the costume/prop tour stop here. Los Angeles, the (former) entertainment capital of the world, is second to Toronto, Dublin, London, and some place in backwater Florida. Johnny Grant is rolling in his grave.

15. dragonreborn
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

I was like “finally the countdown..” wait, what? 52 days???
    the season 4 IS coming!

16. Veltigar
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    There’s an HBO UK? then why the hell isn’t there an HBO channel in the UK?

Why isn’t there an HBO channel everywhere? :(

Wow, the countdown clock :’( It’s beautiful :D

Loki: I have an army.
    D&D: We have Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

17. ebevan91
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I can’t be the only one that has noticed that the countdown clock still says season 3, and “March”, when it should say “April”.

Posted February 13, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

ebevan91, hold down shift and press refresh (F5 on a PC, Command+R on a Mac) and you should see the updated clock.

19. Low Key
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait for the season 3 DVD. I’m gonna go through all the commentaries at once.
    Agree with David, the child actors are really good, especially Maisie and Isaac, who made the parting scene really touching.

20. Patchy Face
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

R5
    Winter Is Coming,

Thanks Winter – Do you have a fix for the iPad/tablet yet?

21. Anne
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 12:32 am | Permalink

I pre-ordered and received my Season 3 DVDs yesterday (from Takealot.com, a local South African on-line service). I think somebody isn’t playing by the rules!

Posted February 14, 2014 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Patchy Face:
    R5
    Winter Is Coming,

Thanks Winter – Do you have a fix for the iPad/tablet yet?

It should be correct now on all devices/browsers.

23. Lea
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 6:48 am | Permalink

Apparently they will do the same event in Australia next monday with Rose Leslie.

You don’t have more news on WiC?

24. Low Key
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Lea,

I think they’re doing that in a lot of places this time. There’s one with Isaac and Kristian (Hodor!) in Canada next week.
    A new marketing strategy I guess.

25. House Mormont
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen: There’s an HBO UK? then why the hell isn’t there an HBO channel in the UK?

26. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

House Mormont: was just gonna say this, we need it so bad, Sky Atlantic airs everything so much later than America gets it, True Detective hasn’t even started for us yet

Yup and I am still waiting for a channel to re-air Oz :-(

27. Get free clash of
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 3:03 am | Permalink

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment. I think
    that you need to write more on this subject, it might not be a taboo subject but generally folks don’t discuss these topics.
    To the next! Many thanks!!

1. […] reader JacMac has already given us her account of the Game of Thrones Season 3 DVD Launch, and now we have a bit more information about the very […]