Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season in stores today
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

Game of Thrones: The Complete Third SeasonToday sees the release of Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season in the US, available on both DVD and Blu-ray/DVD/Digital combo pack. As in the past, multiple retailers are offering special perks and bonus content to entice fans to place their order with them. Here is a run-down of the various retailer’s special offers:

Best BuyExclusive packaging – House sigil covers (Stark, Lannister or Targaryen)

AmazonExclusive packaging – Dragon sculpture case
“Make room on your mantel for this one-of-a-kind packaging of Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season on Blu-ray, available exclusively on Amazon.com. In this limited edition sculpture, Daenerys’s dragon from the season 3 poster art takes center stage with its impressive 3D wingspan and tail, which wraps around the core of the piece. Created in durable heavy weight material, the highly textured collectible is finished with a weathered look evoking the feel of Westeros and a bygone era. With a wink to fans the back is engraved with “Dracarys”, a word from the Valyrian language playing homage to wildfires and dragons. The collectible also contains a hidden compartment which houses The Complete Third Season.”

TargetBonus content – Emmy panel
“An Evening with Game of Thrones – 2013 Emmy® panel with Game of Thrones cast and crew featuring Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), author of A Song of Ice and Fire book series George R.R. Martin, and creators/executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.”

Wal-MartBonus content – Visual effects feature
“‘Creating the World with Visual Effects’ (While Supplies Last) – Discover how some of the most epic scenes of Season 3 were brought to screen with never-before-seen interview material from the cast and crew discussing the visual and special effects process.”

HBO ShopFree Collectible – Mini football helmet (Stark or Targaryen)
“Show you’re not just an avid fan but also an avid collector with the Game of Thrones Season 3 Blu-ray with Exclusive Sigil Mini-Helmet Bundle. You’ll get the full third season of Game of Thrones on Blu-Ray, which includes special features along with a collector’s edition helmet made by Schutt. The miniature white helmet features the silver wolf sigil of House Stark and is perfect for your collection.”

Winter Is Coming: So did you get your season 3 set yet? If so, did you go with the regular edition or one of these retailer exclusives?

1. Veltigar
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Mads Mikkelsen for Euron!

Also Hodor

2. GeekFurious
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

It will be very interesting to see how season 3 does in home video sales in 2014.

Season 1: 1,507,685 total home video units sold for $57,078,841 in revenue (in 2012).

Season 2: 1,112,103 total home video units sold for $36,684,144 in revenue (2013).

3. Clob
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Picked mine up this morning before work. I forgot Amazon had that sculpture case. I was going to get that. Oh well. Only a Target and Wal-Mart near me to pick one up instore so I went to Wal-Mart since I’ve already watched Target’s Emmy panel online. That’s a weak bonus since it’s been on Youtube for about a year.

4. Dragonslayer
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I have to wait until March 31 in Germany :(

5. Isabelle
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Am living abroad now, so went with Amazon’s regular edition and paid through the nose for shipping. Completely worth it, though the wait will be brutal as it definitely won’t be arriving today, grr!

Will be enjoying what I can find of the special features/extras on Youtube while I wait for the set to arrive. The History and Lore of the North is quite fun–”Jon Snow” is narrating, and gives a little pause when he speaks of Ned Stark as his “father”! It was probably not intended that way, but I love any little hints or nods they sneak into the Histories/Lore.

6. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

I got mine yesterday, but I can’t watch any until the Winter Olympics are over, because the rest of my family are hogging the TV. The direwolf hologram was a nice touch, but I would’ve preferred a standard slip cover where the back isn’t card glued on. That’s gonna come off through constant shuffling, which will happen with my limited peaceful viewing times. Still, £25 and no postage costs made up for it.

7. loki
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

deleted scenes suck this year and rains of castamere weren’t that much of a directing miracle to be interested in every little detail of it. oh, well, i guess i shouldn’t complain after paying the iron price. simple commentaries are still good.

8. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I ordered my Targaryan cover from Best Buy this morning and my wife is picking it up for me, so I will have it to enjoy when I get home from work! It will go well with my Stark and Lannister covers from previous years.

9. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

One year later and that poster is still ugly as shit :)

In their defense, it looked awesome on newspapers and building adds.

10. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Ye Olde Wolfe,

That seems quite an appropriate order for the covers. Stark had Sean Bean in 1, Lannister had Peter Dinklage in 2, and Targaryen had Emilia Clarke in 3. Maybe they should introduce a Martell or Bolton cover for season 4 :?

11. WompWomp
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I’m still a little bitter over folks voting back the same alternate covers. I could have gone with some squishy garden variety to spruce up the collection.

More content resonates with me most, so one of the bonus discs is always a better bet for me. It all ends up on YouTube eventually, but still.

12. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

I would go Martell for season 4 and Stannis for season 5. Or the opposite.

13. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Dear God…I think Joffrey implied that he raped Tommen.

In the animated “Histories & Lore& featurette on the Red Keep, narrated by Joffrey, he says:

“The simpering Baelor the Blessed created the Maidenvault to imprison his own sisters and save himself from carnal thoughts. Disgusting, though I admit a “Princevault” could be amusing, when Tommen bores me.”

It wasn’t overt but…given the context of the statement, contrasting with the Maidenvault….it was jarring.

Tommen does mention that he used to “go away inside” when Joffrey did…things, to him…

Any thoughts?

14. Lord Davos
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Total black for season 4 would be awesome.
    Possibly, they may be saving that one for later, season 7 or 8 i think.

15. Lord Davos
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

It would besick if they include that in the show before the wedding. Crazy way to reintroduce Tommen, Joffrey hate will peak for sure.

16. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Another problem: the Game of Thrones Wiki has been struggling for a while to reconcile the Targaryen family tree in the TV continuity, which according to Aemon in Season 1, omits Jaehaerys II…..which indirectly results in confusion over how exactly Robert Baratheon was related to the Targaryens.

Indeed, Cogman even directly answered my question confirming the change in his last Q&A with WiC.net, though he did not give a reason why the change occurred or its repercussions (as I hoped): http://winteriscoming.net/2013/04/ask-a-got-writer-bryan-cogman-on-the-writing-process-robb-and-talisa-and-renlys-peach/

In the books, Robert’s father Steffon’s mother was Rhaelle Targaryen, sister of Jaehaerys II.

Anyway, this left us with two possibilities:
    1 – They rearranged the family tree, so Rhaelle was Aegon V’s sister and not his daughter (or something)

2 – Robert’s “bit of Targaryen blood” mentioned in the Season 1 Histories & Lore was based *solely* on his descent from Orys Baratheon….who was only a *rumored* bastard brother, never proven.

In *either* scenario, Robert descends from the Targaryens through his father Steffon – either Steffon’s mother was a Targaryen, or they counted the alleged Targaryen blood through the Baratheon male line.

INSTEAD, in the Season 3 “Histories and Lore” video for Robert’s Rebellion as narrated by Varys and Littlefinger….

Varys states that Robert had Targaryen blood “through his mother”

ARGH!

So now what’s the family tree? We can’t draw a full family tree until we get this sorted out.

Or perhaps, were they implying that Rhaelle was Robert’s mother and not his paternal grandmother? Possible…even so, whose child was Rhaelle if we omit Jaehaerys II?

17. d1gitals3rf
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Deleted scenes are deleted for a reason.

I snuck a peek at the House Bolton histories and lore before my set arrives and if it’s any indication, I’ll love this set. I also think the slipcase looks very nice once you see up close how it’s designed.

I hope the Rains behind the scenes is as good as it can be – not just about the technical side of its creation but the actors’ amazing work too, especially Madden and Fairley, Bradley and McElhatton.

18. John-Michael
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Very interesting, hmm… and remember his little vitriolic speech about homosexuals from “Dark Wings, Dark Words”? Is he projecting his insecurities about it? Freud would have a field day with this one.

19. House Mormont
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

yeah at Paw Paw’s funeral it sounds like Tommen is gonna say ‘Joffey’ sexually abused him before Cersei cuts him off. Wouldn’t be surprised, he likes to exude his power over people

20. Isabelle
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Hmm, I never thought Joffrey went that far in the books. He was a little young still for his cruelty to extend to things in a sexual sense, at least until the whole “make her naked” attack on Sansa. Tommen was always a sensitive little thing, so Joff’s usual proclivities–torturing small animals, etc–probably affected him more than they would another child. In the History/Lore, Joffrey was probably just joking about needing a place to stash an unwanted or irksome sibling.

In a gender-appropriate place, of course.

21. Easteros bunny
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

It come out yesterday in Australia, I picked up the Blu ray box set of season 1,2 and 3.

Plan on watching it all over again before season 4.

22. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

John-Michael,

Well you have to remember that…Joffrey is very asexual. When he does do sexually brutalizing things to people – i.e. threatening to rape Sansa, openly – it’s not out of lust/desire, but pure sadism. He enjoys exerting his power over other people.

23. Annara Snow
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands:
    Another problem:the Game of Thrones Wiki has been struggling for a while to reconcile the Targaryen family tree in the TV continuity, which according to Aemon in Season 1, omits Jaehaerys II…..which indirectly results in confusion over how exactly Robert Baratheon was related to the Targaryens.

Indeed, Cogman even directly answered my question confirming the change in his last Q&A with WiC.net, though he did not give a reason why the change occurred or its repercussions (as I hoped):http://winteriscoming.net/2013/04/ask-a-got-writer-bryan-cogman-on-the-writing-process-robb-and-talisa-and-renlys-peach/

Anyway, this left us with two possibilities:

Varys states that Robert had Targaryen blood “through his mother”

ARGH!

So now what’s the family tree?We can’t draw a full family tree until we get this sorted out.

Or perhaps, were they implying that Rhaelle was Robert’s mother and not his paternal grandmother?Possible…even so, whose child was Rhaelle if we omit Jaehaerys II?

That would most probably imply that Robert’s mother was Aegon’s daughter, and, in the show continuity, Mad King’s sister.

I’m pretty sure she’s not called Rhaelle in the show continuity though – not that they are ever likely to mention her – at least not if they mention Aerys’ sister wife Rhaella, because it would be absolutely ridiculous for two sisters to be called Rhaelle and Rhaella, not to mention confusing.

That would make Robert even more closely related to the Targaryens he went to war with.

Other possibilities are that his mother was not the daughter of Aegon but from some side branch. I don’t remember if they ever mentioned on the show how many brothers Maester Aemon and Aegon had? Or, it could be from a sister; though I kind of like that the Baratheons are one of the few houses great enough for the Targ princesses to marry into.

24. Isabelle
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands: Joffrey is very asexual. When he does do sexually brutalizing things to people – i.e. threatening to rape Sansa, openly – it’s not out of lust/desire, but pure sadism. He enjoys exerting his power over other people.

Precisely this I think. I don’t know much about the psychology of sadism, but Joffrey never seemed like he was able to “feel” like other people. He certainly never seemed to express desire towards another like other boys his age would have done. Tommen was probably safe from an attack of a sexual nature, but who knows what other torments Joffrey came up with.

25. serum
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I went with the Targaryen cover from Best Buy, I already have Stark and Greyjoy. It was delivered today so I haven’t even seen it yet as Im still at work. Cant wait to get home and check it out!

26. Meraxes
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I want to see the deleted scenes so badly! My set wont arrive until next week and I’m dying of curiosity to see them :(

27. John W
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

I preordered mine months ago from Amazon and I’m patiently waiting till I get home so I can tear into it.

28. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I’ve got a Target gift card so I’ll be get mine from there.

29. Dragons125
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I got the amazon instant video edition ;) Just for continuity sake, i downloaded the first 2 seasons when i was layed up with kidney stones. Plus i like that i can watch on my kindle fire when i travel… excited to watch again, will only be my second time!

30. John-Michael
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Yeah a good point, well said. “There’s no cure for being a cunt.” :)

31. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Dragons125,

I’ve already watched season 3 on torrent sites. Twice over! Fortunately I arrived late enough to the party to catch 2 seasons on DVD. I’m glad I can now view it all legally, on a big TV, with none of that black block streaming nonsense you get in these places. I’m considering getting season 4 via Amazon week-by-week over Sky Atlantic. Much more sensible, not to mention cheaper.

32. Mat
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Just finished watching all the history and lore stuff, love getting the little confirmations of things from the books that haven’t really been mentioned on the show yet, to my knowledge the first mentions of houses Waynwood, Lefford and Corbray, possibly the first time we hear of the rivalry between Bracken and Blackwood? Plus the Knight of the Laughing Tree. In fact the whole House Reed one I thought was excellent, giving good visuals and description of just how hard it would be attacking through the Neck.

Aiden Gillen seems to have forgotten how to do Littlefinger-voice again though. It’s all over the place in his one with Varys…

33. cosca
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

I don’t see how it’s “ugly as shit”. The problem is that it’s too bland and plain.

34. Prince Frog
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Bought season 3 on blu ray and got home to find out myself along with many others trying to watch it on Xbox One gets nothing but a load screen and then a black screen. I hope Microsoft figures out what this is all about; I have History and Lore to watch.

35. Phil
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

was gonna get it today, but my car got a flat and I didn’t feel like going after that and work. Probably gonna get either the Stark or the Lannister one (since it’s red)

36. Mike
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Blu-ray is 50% off at Best Buy right now. Sweet deal, people.

37. Matt
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

What I most want to know is do the Stark kids have a new rendition of the show’s theme?

38. Cersei's Brain
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Got a nice discounted Blu Ray from BB – lovely Targaryen cover

39. matt
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

They should have gone with some new covers… like the Tully, Tyrell and Bolton covers.

40. Nessa
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure why I just HAD to have mine today since I’m at the beginning of a Veronica Mars rewatch and won’t get to it anytime soon, but I got mine at Wal Mart this afternoon. Last copy on the shelf too! I’m itching to rewatch season 3 now since I haven’t watched since summer.

41. Andrew
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Currently making my way through the commentary tracks. Some interesting info so far: David and Dan revealed in their Episode 3 track that Iwan Rheon was their 2nd choice for Jon Snow. That might have been quite a different take to say the least.

Also, in the Episode 2 track, Vanessa Taylor addresses the changes to the Tyrion-Shae relationship and how they could cause some problems down the line. She says it was all done to make the character more ambiguous and conflicted, but predicted it would turn out okay in the end. Seems to imply, just like the most recent trailer, that her fate will indeed be the same as the book.

42. Meraxes
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 8:31 pm | Permalink
  43. Clabog
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Andrew,

He was destined to play a bastard, it seems.

44. Hexonx
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

I remember walking into Best Buy for the season 1 set and they had a huge display w/at least 100 sets. Today I walk in and they have a single box shelf with maybe 20. This was a little surprising considering how much the show has grown since season 1 but I suppose more & more people are ordering online and/or digitally.

matt,

There was a FB or twitter vote & the people voted for the same old sigils. It’s actually fine for me since I still needed Stark but they better have some different ones next year.

45. slaver's scream
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

I bought mine in best buy for $30, sadly by 1 p.m. the wolf covers were already gone :/

46. Jon Snowington
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

So mad right now, my xbox one can’t read the disc. It is a known problem with Microsoft, https://mobile.twitter.com/XboxSupport2. Pathetic, my xbox one has been a headache and now I can’t watch any of the blu ray until a new patch comes god knows when.

47. Andrew
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

More tidbits from the commentary tracks. George R R Martin says that he wrote both of Ramsay’s girls, Violet and Myranda, into his scripted episode for Season 4. We knew one of them was back; now we know the other is, as well, and in which episode.

48. Reza
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

The best of the deleted scenes (which I think they should have kept it) was the Robb-Edmure-Karstark interaction.

It gave more context to that scene and also showed Robb to be smart enough not to embarrass his uncle in front of others and then toast him…

RIP The King in The North!!! The king who lost his head because of firm tits…according to Walder Frey!

49. UnbowdUnbentedUnhodor
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

I got the cool cover with the house sigils on them! Just wondering why is season 3 ma15+ when season 1 and 2 are r18+? Is that the same for America too?

50. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Was it confirmed Alex Grave directed episode 2-3-8-10 of season 4? Because he confirmed it in ”And Now His Watch Has Ended” episode commentary with Lena Headey and Diana Rigg.

51. Hexonx
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:33 am | Permalink

UnbowdUnbentedUnhodor:

It’s TV-MA here, all 3 seasons, which according to Wikipedia means:

This program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17.[10]
    Programs rated TV-MA are usually designed to be viewed by adults. Some content may be unsuitable for children under 17. This rating was originally TV-M in early 1997 but was changed because of a trademark dispute and to remove confusion with the ESRB’s “M for Mature” rating for video games.[12] This rating is seldom used by broadcast networks or local television stations due to FCC restrictions on program content, although it is commonly applied to television programs featured on certain cable channels for both mainstream and pornographic programs.

I could be wrong but it seems season 3 had less sex/nudity than previous seasons so maybe that is why the age was lowered for your ratings.

52. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Ragman’s Harbor,

Yeah. Any more tidbits?

53. tysnow
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:15 am | Permalink

I read President Obama requested from HBO CEO Richard Pepler a DVD of any finished episodes for season 4 so he could watch them over the weekend. One of the perks of being Prez.

I wonder if he will post an early review here on WiC.

54. UnbowdUnbentedUnhodor
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Hexonx,

Thanks! I reckon Season2 didnt have much nudity but i guess there was a dead baby and a kid (lommy) killed which is pretty gruesome

55. Kyle
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:35 am | Permalink

A little unrelated, but I noticed that on IMDB, a character named Ralf Kenning has been added to S4E10′s cast list. Ralf will be portrayed by Grahame Fox. I hadn’t seen this mentioned anywhere before, so unless I missed something, this is a newly announced addition to the cast.

56. JamesL
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:37 am | Permalink

I was looking at the sales for the first 2 seasons and wow, despite an increase in popularity season 2 dvd sales sucked compared to season 1. Hopefully season 3 sells better.
    Season 1 sales-
    Season 2 sales-

57. cosca
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:38 am | Permalink
  58. JamesL
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:41 am | Permalink

Andrew,

He may have written them both in his script but that doesn’t mean they both will be in the show. We know Myranda is back but I’m pretty sure the actress who play Violet said she was not returning.

59. JamesL
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:45 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Where did you get those numbers, does that include Blu-ray? All I could find were the DVD sales numbers.

60. House Nieder
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 2:31 am | Permalink

Am I the only one who wonders often what the complete series set will look like? I bet it will be quite glorious…

61. carne
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 6:08 am | Permalink

I wish they would focus on the making of many scenes instead of just one big one (RW for S3, Blacwkater for S2). Why can’t they give us more ala LOTR, The Hobbit etc, which details pretty much every aspect of production.

62. cosca
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 6:19 am | Permalink

carne,

The inside the episode features they have on youtube kind of do that. As for why it’s not as expansive as the Lord of the Rings special features, GoT is pretty much an ongoing year long production, the producers and much of the cast are very busy. Not to mention that there’s far more footage to cover with Game of Thrones.

63. carne
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 6:25 am | Permalink

cosca,

They just have the cast and crew talk about the episode though. I want see how they did special effects, VFX, makeup, sets and so on.

64. Rabid Grunt
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Kyle,

The ironborn left in charge of Moat Cailin I recall…

65. azad injejikian
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Ordered Lannister sleeve from Best Buy to match my Stark and Greyjoy covers for season 1 and 2

66. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Well unfortunately it wasn’t the most dynamic trio. Alex talked about the scene with the sorcerer in a box, which the actor was locked and gagged in filth, and Conleth Hill laughed for about 20 minutes straight.

But I really enjoyed ”Kissed by Fire” with NCW, Gwen and Bryan. That one was a joy.

67. dizzy
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Got the very last Targ version at my local Bestbuy. Still wish they would have done the Stannis sigil.

68. cosca
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Ragman’s Harbor,

How was the Rains of Castamere one with Michelle and Richard?

69. Chrysee
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I always just buy the regular cover. I picked it up yesterday and in person the season 3 cover is not nearly as bad as you think. The dragon is just on the translucent plastic sleeve and is not nearly as dark or noticeable as in the header image. The swords are much more prominent and there is a nice stony texture as opposed to just looking white. When I first picked it up I thought it was a cover variant and put it back to look for the “real” one. Nothing will beat the season 1 cover, but this one is not bad. Like I said, it looks much much better in person. And you could always ditch the plastic sleeve. Then it would look sorta like the old LOTR extended DVDs.

70. siberia82
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I’ve just watched the animated history of The Reach, and it wholly amuses me that according to what Margaery has been taught by Lady Olenna, the Tyrell women have been controlling the family since at least the time of Aegon’s Conquest, for it was actually Harlan Tyrell’s wife who convinced him to surrender to the first Dragon King. Weiss described the Tyrells as a secret matriarchy in one of the Season 2 “Inside the Episode” featurettes, so it looks like the showrunners are pushing that angle not just on the TV series, but also in the family’s distant history.

71. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Very nearly got a special edition for once as I’m really unmoved by the regular cover this time, but decided to grab the regular one from Target on the way to class just now after all. It just feels weird suddenly having a line sigil format.

Curse my lack of omniscience. If I had known the best season was slated for the worst cover…!

72. Pau
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Isabelle:

Through the nose? were do you live? it just costed me $4 to ship to Barcelona (although I ordered 6 more items, I think it was 8$ for one item and $4 more for each subsequent one). All in all just $34 shipping included, wich is just over €24, when in the UK or spanish amazon it’s the equivalent of $70!!!. You guys are the new chinese :P

Perfect birthday present!! ;)

PS: Btw we pwned Mancity yesterday!! and lost all my respect for pellegrini, he’s no better than crying Mou…

73. Dragons125
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Valyrian Plastic,

I stream it through amazon video on a Roku box, i was so happy to finally start watching season 3 on a big screen, lol. I think when the series is finally over, i’ll buy the big boxed set on dvd, i’m sure they’ll come out with some special stuff, packaging, etc.. I regret just a little bit buying each HP movie as they came out, then they came out with a big beautiful set of all the movies that i would love, but can’ t justify since i own them all already, haha.

74. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

cosca,

I’ve yet to watch that one, keeping the best for last :) I’ve started watching ”The Climb” with Rose and Kit but sleep got the best of me damn it.

75. Kissed by Glasgow
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Mat – I came on here to make the same point. The new History and Lores are great but Aiden Gillen’s accent is off the scale now! I thought he’d already changed it a bit from something almost English to something sounding a bit Welsh. He now clearly sounds Irish (his natural accent) in some of those videos.

76. Shock Me Sane
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Watched three commentaries say far.

The Rains of Castamere with Michelle and Richard commentary, David Nutter actually does most of the commenting. Michelle hadn’t watched the episode yet and cries quite a bit at the end.

Episode 3 with Gemma Jackson and Michelle Clapton. I wanted to watch this because I knew Gemma wasn’t coming back for season 4, and was curious as to why. She does address it towards the end. Apparently the show was taking a severe toll on her marriage and personal life because of the hours. She sounds like she will really miss it. I wish her the best, she did some great work.

Episode 7 with GRRM and Vanessa Taylor. Most interesting part was probably hearing that he had “absolutely nothing to do” with the Theon/Ramsay stuff, and honestly sounded like he wished they had gone a different way with it, even though it is implied in the books.

77. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

More people use HBO Go these days.

The tidbits help Andrew I’m putting them into the Game of Thrones Wiki.

78. Lord Davos
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Shock Me Sane,

Sad about Gemma Jackson, and the Grrms displeasure. It had to be done, but probably in a better way.

79. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I’m just listening to the D&D commentary on episode 3, and they all but confirmed that Dean Charles-Chapman is playing Tommen this season. Overall I’m most looking forward to Gemma and Michele’s commentary.

Then GRRM’s. Episode 2′s was pretty good, but I think Vanessa should make a catch-phrase of “I didn’t write this scene”. The one contribution I know for sure was her idea, was to tie-in Sansa’s first flowering with a violent rape nightmare sequence. We should get women to write for the show more, maybe not her though.

80. Andrew
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

GRRM in his commentary track: “I hate how David and Dan changed my story in regard to Theon/Ramsay, but boy do I love those two naked girls they added. I think I’ll keep writing them in to my scripts!”

Yep, that sounds about right :)

81. cosca
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Andrew,

Sounds more like book purist hyperbole to be honest. :)

82. Lord Davos
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

cosca,

These books were written by a script purist getting sick of tv producers.
    Oh George.

83. siberia82
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

I also found Joffrey’s “Princevault” comment disturbing. While he may not have necessarily raped Tommen (his extreme homophobia may not allow him to go that far), some form of sexual abuse seems like a strong possibility. The writers appear to be hinting something in that direction, otherwise they wouldn’t bother to include the “Princevault” line right after Joff talks about the Maidenvault.

Speaking of creepy, Thoros of Myr mentions in the Lord of Light animated history that the Red Temple uses children as temple prostitutes. That is beyond horrible…

84. Jordan
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

siberia82,

I’m not sure if that was what Thoros was implying- I thought it was more that children who were given to the temples of other religions ended up becoming temple prostitutes (presumably when older).

Unless it is something the show invented, the Rh’llor religion does not have temple prostitutes- most of the time their priests (including the High Priest in Volantis) are “temple slaves”, who have facial tatoos. Maybe they do things different in Myr or else it helped that Thoros was freeborn.

As a comparison/contrast, Aero Hotah was also given to the temple of another religion and while celibate and branded on his chest, has the same freedom of movement as Thoros.

85. ace
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Prince Frog,

Jon Snowington,

Apparently this workaround works :

1. Insert any Game of Thrones S1 or S2 disc into your Xbox One

2. Go to features and select a feature which is on a different disc for example if you have disc 1 in select a feature for disc 5

3. The menu will ask you to insert another disc from the season but instead insert your Season 3 disc

4. The console should then load your disc up past the tree icon and play your season 3 disc

5. Enjoy : )

86. Prince Frog
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 12:38 am | Permalink

ACE!

You deserve a medal or a knighthood or both! The workaround actually worked. Thanks again. Valar Dohaeris.

87. Greenjones
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 12:48 am | Permalink

cosca,

At the end both of them are choking up. It’s hard to listen to in a good way. Just like the episode is hard to watch in a good way.

Posted February 20, 2014 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Weird, my post seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, I bought the blu-ray with Targaryen packaging. It looks so nice, and way better than the plastic dragon-shadow sleeve. Although I kinda like the plain white box underneath.

This is the first time I’ve bought a special edition cover, because I actually really like the regular covers for Seasons 1 & 2. But man, I really want the Lannister cover too. It looks pretty awesome, all red and gold. Contrary to popular opinion, I DO hope they release the same special covers next year so I can get a Lannister one for Season 4. Sure Stannis would be cool, but honestly, who the hell wants a Tyrell or Tully box?

89. siberia82
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Lex,
    I want a House Tyrell cover. It’s very arrogant of you to assume that there are no Tyrell fans in the audience.

Posted February 20, 2014 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

siberia82,

I don’t care if you think it’s arrogant of me. I think a Tyrell box would be lame and look terrible. I think it’s arrogant of people like you to complain about the majority of people who voted for the sigils of families that are actually important and interesting.

91. Fiona
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Best Buy will no longer ship the Stark or Targaryen Blu-Rays, but they are still shipping the Lannister Blu-Ray. Shipping is free as well. Bummed I can’t order a Stark one. The generic one on Amazon is just so plain and unexciting.

Posted February 20, 2014 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Fiona,

You can’t pick one up in store? Anyway, the Lannister one looks awesome, IMO.

93. Fiona
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Lex,

There’s no Best Buy near me – not sure I want to trek that far, especially when there’s no guarantee what they’ll have on the shelves. Maybe if I wait a bit, Best Buy will ship again. It’s possible they’re just low on inventory because of high demand. Which is a great problem to have.

94. Isabelle
    Posted February 23, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but some kind soul uploaded “The Rains of Castamere Unveiled” to Youtube:

Part I:

Part II:

95. Isabelle
    Posted February 23, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Pau:

Through the nose? were do you live? it just costed me $4 to ship to Barcelona (although I ordered 6 more items, I think it was 8$ for one item and $4 more for each subsequent one).All in all just $34 shipping included, wich is just over €24, when in the UK or spanish amazon it’s the equivalent of $70!!!. You guys are the new chinese :P

Perfect birthday present!! ;)

Lol, Germany : ) And it wasn’t too bad–about $17 for shipping plus import fees, but I did opt for expedited shipping. Considering how cheap the set itself was, though, I was gritting my teeth a bit! XD

Happy (early?) birthday!

96. CelticCat
    Posted February 23, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know if Best Buy typically restocks their exclusive covers? It’s sold out everywhere in Chicagoland.

97. Isabelle
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 10:27 am | Permalink

CelticCat,

No idea, but try ringing the closest Best Buy to see what they say about it. You could also try Ebay.

98. Michael
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Has anybody had this technical glitch happen? Basically, on average of once an episode, the video will freeze up for a few seconds, then keep going after that, with the few seconds of footage never shown. The blu rays are 100% clean, no scratches whatsoever, and it happens on both my PS3 and PS4, so a defective player seems unlikely. Unless it’s just a general Sony-specific problem, but I’ve never read about this anywhere else on the internet.

99. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Michael,

I’ve watched everything from the Blu Ray on my PS4 and I’ve had no issues at all, not sure what’s happening. Perhaps it’s a manufacturing problem.

100. Faith
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

I always wait to watch the show until it comes out on dvd, that way I can re-read the corresponding book and compare (plus it drives me nuts to wait a week w/ cliffhangers). I’ve never had a big issue w/ the show straying, but the 3rd season went too far! Osha & Rickon are still w/ Bran? Where is Varamyr Six Skins, Dalla, & Val? And biggest upset of all, what were they thinking when they made Tormund Giantsbane like that?! He is one of my favorite characters & they RUINED him. It’s enough to make me stop watching.