Mark Gatiss talks Game of Thrones with Metro UK
By Winter Is Coming on in Interview, Press.

Mark GatissMark Gatiss, creator and star of the BBC series Sherlock, was cast in season 4 of Game of Thrones in an originally mysterious, unannounced role. That role has since been revealed to be the character of Tycho Nestoris. But Gatiss hasn’t spoken openly about the role until now. In an interview with Metro UK, he discusses the original hubbub over his casting, his time filming Thrones, and, of course, the sex and nudity.

You are about to star as Tycho Nestoris in the new series of Game Of Thrones. Are you ready for the fan frenzy?

I felt a bit overwhelmed by the response. When it was announced, people bombarded me with questions. I felt a bit of a fraud. Apparently, my character in the books actually comes in a lot later so it was a bit unusual that they brought it forward.

Does this mean you could return later?

Apparently so! I’m expecting an almost inevitably violent death. I’m in one episode. I went over to Belfast and did the scene there.

Hit up the full article for more quotes from Gatiss, including him giving his assesment on the quality of male hotness in the show.

Winter Is Coming: I’ve recently watched all of Sherlock based on the suggestion from many of our readers (including Bryan Cogman himself!) when the Gatiss casting news first broke. Seven hells, that is a great show! Now I’m really looking forward to seeing Gatiss in Thrones. And is there any way we can cast Benedict Cumberbatch too?

1. direhound
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Benedict for Darkstar!

2. Ser Lucas
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Cool. I love him just for bringing Braavos earlier.

3. Roznak Mo Quezzz
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Benedict as Jon Con!

4. The Kingshaver
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

direhound,

Or Euron?

Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

I like your reaction to Sherlock, Winter ;)

6. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Why didn’t they ask him about the hat!?!?

7. Rygar
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

This guy gets a thread and he’s only in one episode? What about the hottest actor ever to be on the show, the guy who played Mero, he had one episode too.

8. Ser Lucas Tyrell
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Obama asked for advance episodes. Oh…

9. Jared
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I’m very much looking forward to seeing how Gatiss (who I agree is fantastic on Sherlock) portrays Tycho Nestoris, though I’m mildly disappointed to hear that he’ll only be in one episode this season. This strongly implies that he’ll only be sharing scenes with Stannis and Davos in Braavos this season, and will not be traveling to King’s Landing to seek repayment from the Lannisters, as some have speculated that he might. That will likely happen next year, after Tywin’s death, mirroring the events of the book.. Nevertheless, the writers clearly have long-term plans for the character if they’re bringing him in to the story this early, and were able to secure an actor like Gatiss for a role that will be little more than a cameo this year.

10. Ser Lucas Tyrell
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Well, three if you count the one with the prosthetic head.

11. Satin
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Heh. Bryan Fuller tweeted him. My fandoms, they converge.

And is there any way we can cast Benedict Cumberbatch too?

Hopefully not. I’m sick and tired of everything becoming the Benedict Cumberbatch Show.

12. Rygar
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Ben Cumberbatch is the new Orange

13. BobbyAtomic
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Satin:
    Heh. Bryan Fuller tweeted him. My fandoms, they converge.

I agree, he’s the most over rated actor since Johnny Depp

14. Greenjones
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

So if his CV’s credit him as appearing under various directors and he confirms he’s only appearing in one ep., then who else do we think is appearing less this season than their CV’s have suggested?

15. Satin
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

BobbyAtomic,

but I like Johnny Depp… *cries*

Cumberbatch has a great voice, it must be said. And I’ve only seen three of his performances/roles, which, yes, underwhelmed me, except for the dragon.

And really, even the best actor can be overexposed.

Greenjones,

maybe they were asked to keep it vague? I don’t really know how updating CVs works, admittedly. Some seem to do it as soon as the casting goes through, some not until the project has finished filming, some not until it has aired, etc. And those are only the ones I’ve seen…

16. Veltigar
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Satin:
    Heh. Bryan Fuller tweeted him. My fandoms, they converge.

Well, he is a great actor. The problem is finding a good role for him. I don’t think there really is any big role left that would suit him. I think he would be a great Weaper (if that character ever comes into play) or perhaps a GC-officer or …

Allons enfants the la patrie casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euron is okay

17. zenmode
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    This guy gets a thread and he’s only in one episode?What about the hottest actor ever to be on the show, the guy who played Mero, he had one episode too.

18. Greenjones
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Satin,

I posted this a few topics ago but some things get updated from “various” directors to actually listing out who the directors are. For instance, Charlotte Hope (one of Ramsay’s girls, Myranda), her CV used to say various and now says Alex Graves and Alik Sakharov.

19. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Monce Reader

20. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Apparently Bendedict is the new batch of cucumbers, which will play an immense role in season 5. Haters gonna hate.

21. Greenjones
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Well according to Ours is the Fury that CV that I linked a while back isn’t legit from his agency, its actually from a fan site.

22. Satin
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Veltigar: Well, he is a great actor.

Greenjones,

then I guess it depends on the agents in question. I really don’t think there is any particular system, I’ve even seen differences in the CVs from one agency.

23. Talisa's ghost
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Is that an euphemism for penis? That better be an euphemism for penis.

24. Rygar
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

zenmode: oh man i thought i was the only one who thought Mero was the hottest guy on GoT by far

They should bring him back as another character. Start the petition.

25. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Satin: I still fail to see what’s so great about his Holmes, honestly, and let’s not speak of that Star Trek travesty. As for the rest, haven’t seen, so can’t judge.

That Star Trek movie failed on many, many levels, not just because of Cumberbatch. Almost everybody associated with that project should hide their heads for wasting everyone’s time, except Leonard Nimoy, because, y’know, Leonard Nimoy.

26. Satin
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Greenjones:
    Hand of the Kingslayer,

If you go to spotlight.com and search for Mark Gatiss, you’ll get his agency. I looked over there, and the CV there says “Various,” too.

ETA: Wow, he played Joan Crawford.

GreatJon of Slumber,

ugh, agreed. *side-eyes JJ Abrams*

27. JD
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Ser Lucas Tyrell,

& he got them, he has seen the first 4 episodes of S4. & the rest of True Detective

28. Jaqen is Q
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Maybe BC could voice some special character later on, like the leader of the WWs (if any).

:D

29. Greenjones
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

JD,

Where’s this confirmed?

30. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I hope his does Syrio’s Braavosi accent!!!

Or else we should riot

31. Satin
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Jaqen is Q,

Good compromise!

Or maybe he can play Coldhands.

32. Greenjones
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak,

Well Mero didn’t so we’ll see.

33. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Riot Time!

34. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Such a waste, Gatiss should be playing Mace Tyrell !

35. Jen@House Stark
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

I would have liked to see him play Mace as well, Al. I adore Cumberbatch and his voice is almost as nice as Richard Madden’s. My Richard Madden voice alarm clock ever breaks, I’m getting the Cumberbitch model.

Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Hey Winter, glad to hear you watched Sherlock! So good. Here’s hoping Gatiss is in more episodes down the road.

Also, kind of random, but the way he speaks always reminded me of Conleth Hill’s Varys. It would be cool if they got a scene together.

37. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Jen@House Stark:
    I would have liked to see him play Mace as well, Al.I adore Cumberbatch and his voice is almost as nice as Richard Madden’s.My Richard Madden voice alarm clock ever breaks, I’m getting the Cumberbitch model.

I think Cumberbatch would make a perfect Val ;-P

38. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Episode titles should start leaking pretty soon, right? I think it was the last week in Feb. last year. I can’t wait to find out what the title of the purple wedding episode will be. It doesn’t have an obvious answer like the Rains of Castamere.

Possible late season episode titles:
    Only Cat
    A Lannister always pays his debts

Anyone else have ideas? It’s getting boring talking about interviews and it’s really doubtful Cumberbatch will be cast.

39. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

With today’s quality in TV I wouldn’t be shocked if Cumberbatch joined GOT, it’s extremely unlikely given his crazy schedule . I mean Tom Hardy has just joined Peaky Blinders and McConaughey is kicking ass in True Detective, never say never!

I’d much prefer to see the likes of James Purefoy, Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson join the show though.

40. House Mormont
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

zenmode: zenmode
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink
    Rygar:

the titan’s bastard is a guilty pleasure

and all I know of Cumberbatch is his tumblr fanbase and I don’t think his acting can add more than that will detract from this show

41. Blind Beth
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Ben Cumberbatch is the new Orange

Awesome. :-)

42. Renly's Peach
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

BENEDICT AS EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER! In multiple roles, he’ll wear different wigs!

And hey, while we’re at it, we’ll just fire every writer and hire Tumblr itself to write and direct the show.

43. barak
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Satin,

I have to agree. He’s a good actor and all, but the moment he appears in something it becomes about him in the media and among viewers. :/

I think GoT did well casting newcomers, up-and-coming young actors, and established but not international “star” actors in the main roles – aside of discovering new talent or showcasing the talent of less internationally known actors, it kept the media and audience focus on the production and the story, and not on the famous cast members. As far as I’m concerned it should remain this way. (Well, I wouldn’t mind seeing the rest of Rome’s cast, but they’re not exactly superstars.)

Not that Cumberbatch would be cast, though. Somehow I think the budget wouldn’t allow it.

44. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Talisa’s ghost,

It is only what you want it to be, my friend.

Al Swearengen,

Ray Stevenson is Victarion. Kevin McKid is JonCon. Purefroy can play Sweets.

House Mormont,

Someone should make a gif of Mero doing the twisting tongue to give Rygar something to fap to.

45. Abyss
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Satin: but I like Johnny Depp… *cries*

Me too. :) The problem with his acting isn’t that he isn’t good (in fact he can be a chameleon, just compare films like “Blow” with “Pirates of the Caribbean”) The problem imo is, that since “Pirates of the Caribbean” he has basically played variants of Captain Jack Sparrow. Not the same character of curse, but the sassy craziness was always there in the films I saw him in since then.

46. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

How about “A Coat of Gold, a Coat of Brown” for the season finale?

Seriously, though “Only a Cat of a Different Coat” is the ONLY accepted title for the finale.
    The wedding could be “Purple Reign”, if the Foreshadowing preview is anything to go by.
    I could see episode 9 being “Fire and Ice”.
    Episode 8 might be either “The Dornishman’s Wife” or “The Snake and the Mountain”. I can also see the episode with Arya at the Inn being called “Crossroads”.

47. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

barak:
    Satin,

I agree. Stunt casting and celebrity cameos work well on sitcoms but can detract from the story with dramas. It happens all the time with the Law and Order franchise and that show is nowhere as serious and high quality as GoT.

48. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Something with Bells for the name of episode 2 is my new ship.

49. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Episode 1 or 8 – ‘Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken’

I’m a fan of house words being used as episode titles. I wish they would do it more often. Season 1 was bookended with titles that were house words, but they haven’t used them since. The Martell words are my third favorite of the great houses of Westeros, after ‘Ours Is The Fury’ and ‘Winter Is Coming’, and I think they would be a good title for an episode this season.

50. cosca
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

My guess is Widow’s Wail for the wedding episode. Episode 9 will probably be some part of the Night’s Watch vow (Sword in the Darkness, Shield that Guards the Realms of Men). Elia for episode 8. Oathkeeper would be a good mid season episode title as well.

51. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I could see that being being used this season, even if not specifically in episode 8. Hopefully we’ll know exactly what episode 8 will be called by this time tomorrow.

52. Rygar
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

I have it already.

53. cosca
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

The commas kind of make it awkward though, and it doesn’t work without them. But I would like to see some more house words as episode titles. Ours is the Fury should really be used at some point.

54. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Silly me. Of course you do :)

55. Grynthaline
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

I remember Benedict saying something like he wouldn’t consider doing an American show but I don’t follow his work that much so I don’t know how much it is true…

56. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

cosca,

I like Widow’s Wail but it’s a bit too spoilery, ain’t it? Either way, “The Bells of Maegor” or something like that. As we know, the episode begins and ends with the bells >:) it also works well with the Tyrion/Varys scene in Blackwater.

57. Lol
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

The best thing the great Star Trek Into Darkness is how much rage it induces from the neck beards. Just a great film on so many levels.

58. cosca
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

People die in Game of Thrones all the time, hardly much of a spoiler. In any case, even if the show watchers pay attention to the episode title, suspicions of Joffrey dying will be alleviated by the scene (which I assume will be in the same episode) where he is given the sword and it is named.

The bells idea does sound good though

59. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

cosca,

I wonder where exactly the episode will end? Will it end with Joffrey’s death, or will it end with Sansa’s escape and the Littlefinger reveal? I tend to think it will end with Joffrey dying and episode 3 will pick up with Sansa’s escape and the bells ringing.

60. Greenjones
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Ep. will probably end with Tyrion’s arrest. Ep. 3 will pick up with Sansa and Dontos a-fleeing. Maybe ep. 3 will be called “Players and Pieces” to suit a certain speech.

61. GeekFurious
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

SHERLOCK is many times worse, writing wise, than the latest Star Trek.

And Into Darkness, or whatever they called it, was pretty bad around the halfway point on.

On SHERLOCK it’s like “Hey! STORY IDEA! NOW DIARRHEA OF STORY IDEAS! IT MAKES NO SENSE! HAHAHAHA! BUT IT’S CONFUSING!”

Because you don’t try to make any sense. So yeah. It’s confusing.

Worst. Written. Show. Ever?

62. Reza
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

So he is in what? … 2 minutes of the show??

63. GrzebykK
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I like both Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes. I want to see how Mark Gatiss portrays Tycho Nestoris.
    As for Benedict Cumberbatch, he has some experience with dragons, so maybe he could use it facing one? He’s not very much Dornish type, but I’d like to see him as Quentyn Martell.

64. loki
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Please, no. That would just be a waste of an already small budget the show has. He’s also ugly.

65. Balon01
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Worst. Taste. Ever?

66. Ser Lucas Tyrell
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

You know it is quite suspicious for someone called Hand to be so interested in the instruments of masturbation of a widely known pervert, right?

As to the episode titles:
    I imagined #2 as something like The Third Century or something like that.
    Episode 8 The Snake and the Mountain.
    And am I the only who thinks Only a Cat of a Different Coat doesn’t sound good?

67. Ser Lucas Tyrell
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

GrzebykK,

I’m ugly enough to be Quentyn. Who knows I’m cast on the show? *sympathetic smile*

68. KG
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

No kidding. That guy was “whoa.”

Rygar:

69. cosca
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Ser Lucas Tyrell:
    Hand of the Kingslayer,

And am I the only who thinks Only a Cat of a Different Coat doesn’t sound good?

I agree. Sounds pretty clunky, even if it resonates with a few of the story lines.

70. Tereeza 777
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Speaking of GoT having the fittest men on TV – look at Joseph Gatt – those traps, delts, pecs, triceps and biceps! He’s HUGE!

Best Space City Con ever ….. with Joseph Gatt, Jason Momoa, Esme Bianco, Kristian Nairn, Gethin Anthony, Finn Jones and Miltos Yeremelou. The whole panel is so funny (and revealing)! At 10:39 – a fan asks Joseph “if the carpet matches the drapes” – once Esme explains the question to Joseph, he gives the PERFECT answer. At 52:20, Jason talks about his sex scene with Emilia and how he purchased a fluffy, pink sock (large size) to cover his “unit” in order to relieve the tension. At 1:10:14, a sullied fan explains that in the book, Khal Drogo and his Khalasar fight another Khalasar and that’s how Drogo receives all his wounds – many more wounds than on the show. He then asks: “How does it feel to be the most fearsome Warlord dying from the Dothraki equivalent of a paper cut?”
    Jason/Drogo answers: “I die from a pillow a*shole! You should read the book before I come down there and kill you with a f*cking pillow!

71. House Mormont
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Ser Lucas Tyrell,

Maybe Remember Your Name as a midseason episode with Reek/Alayne Stone action going on
    A Thousand Eyes and One for a bloodraven reveal episode
    Hazea would be a cool one for Dany’s dragons being chained but since that’ll be episode 10 there’s not much chance of that happening

I like “Elia” for Episode 8

72. Greenjones
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Tereeza 777,

His appearances haven’t aired yet and he’s already doing cons! By jove.

73. sunspear
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Thank you. I can not understand why people like that show. The plots are ridiculous, and the only good characters are Sherlock, John and Mycroft. And even John is too much of a damsel in distress most of the time.

74. Greenjones
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Did Mark Gatiss mean that he was wearing clogs in the interview or that Tycho wears clogs?

75. Veltigar
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious:
    SHERLOCK is many times worse, writing wise, than the latest Star Trek.

Because you don’t try to make any sense. So yeah. It’s confusing.

Worst. Written. Show. Ever?

:o I have to say that I’m really shocked. I know it’s futile to discuss taste and all that, but Sherlock is a brilliant show. One of the best on television on so many levels (including the writing). It deserves a spot on the all time greatest hits list.

Currently, Sherlock is the best show on TV (with the possible exception of True Detective, but I’ll wait until the season is over to give TD Sherlock’s laurels).

His Holmes is great because he manages to take one of the most iconic characters in history, update it and make it completely his own. He manages to convey so much with so little (e.g. A Scandal in Belgravia). Benedict and his brilliant co-stars also manage to make you believe in the reality of what is otherwise a very daft set-up.

As to the Star Trek movie, I’m surprised that you pinned it’s failure on Benedict. I mean it’s a freaking J.J. Abrams movie, how can it be anything but bad (or at it’s best mediocre)?

Other proof for his skills as an actor can be found in Parade’s End. The mini-series set during WWI. His acting in that is really great and eventhough PE as a whole really lacked something Cumberbatch was excellent throughout the series.

In Space nobody can hear your screams of joy when Mads Mikkelsen is cast as Euron

76. Greenjones
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

BTW Veltigar, you’re Brightfyre theory is excellent.

77. Nanuk
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Say Her Name should be ep 8.

78. House Mormont
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Nanuk,

yhyhyh!

I’d actually really like Remember Your Name and Say Her Name to be episode titles

79. Annara Snow
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    Ser Lucas Tyrell,

A Thousand Eyes and One for a bloodraven reveal episode

I think Remember Your Name or Know Your Name should be saved for season 5 and an episode featuring “Reek” and “Lady Arya Stark”, “No One”, “Alayne Stone” and “Yollo”/”Hugor Hill” (and Sansa does not get into full Alayne Stone mode until after Lysa’s death).

In other news, Game of Thrones won Best Series – Genre at the Satellite Awards last night.

80. Patchy Face
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Are you serious? Ranking Sherlock better than GoT and in contention with TD? Not even close. I’m not crazy about House of Cards but it was more entertaining than Sherlock.

In another note, I did enjoy Eggs Benedict in Parades End. That seemed to be the best showcase for his acting.

81. Lord Davos
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Season 3 of Sherlock was dissapointing.
    As was last episode of True Detective.
    Maggie or whatever, stupid character.
    But what to expect from noir?

82. Rygar
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos:
    Season 3 of Sherlock was dissapointing.
    As was last episode of True Detective.
    Maggie or whatever, stupid character.
    But what to expect from noir?

Um, Maggie’s scene with Rust was some of the best acting I have ever seen from her. She displayed so much emotion. Loathing, remorse, lust, redemption, all with saying very little. I was floored.

And a great ass. Lots of great ass in that episode. And a fitting conclusion to the second Act. Final Act is to come. Gonna be a helluva ride.

83. Mark
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Rygar: Um, Maggie’s scene with Rust was some of the best acting I have ever seen from her.She displayed so much emotion.Loathing, remorse, lust, redemption, all with saying very little.I was floored.

And a great ass. Lots of great ass in that episode. And a fitting conclusion to the second Act.Final Act is to come. Gonna be a helluva ride.

Agree with everything you said. Incredible episode. TD is currently driving me nuts. My brain can’t handle all the possible theories that are flowing through it.

Posted February 24, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious:
    SHERLOCK is many times worse, writing wise, than the latest Star Trek.

Because you don’t try to make any sense. So yeah. It’s confusing.

Worst. Written. Show. Ever?

Whaaaa???

I agree with a lot of your posts, but not this. Sherlock is one of the best current shows on TV, the writing is good, and it’s not all that confusing (if you pay attention).

85. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Ser Lucas Tyrell,

Why, thank you, Ser. I’ll take that as a compliment.

86. Ren Snow
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 12:18 am | Permalink

Jared: oris, though I’m mildly disappointed to hear that he’ll only be in one episode this season. This strongly implies that he’ll only be sharing scenes with Stannis and Davos in Braavos this season, and will not be traveling to King’s Landing to seek repayment from the Lannisters, as some have speculated that he might. That will likely happen next year, after Tywin’s death, mirroring the events of the book.. Nevertheless, the writers

Tycho never seeks payment from the Lannisters… the one who does is another Bravoosi called Noho Dimittis

87. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Ren Snow,

Spoilers in your quote! Always use “reply”, quoting destroys spoiler codes.

On topic: there is no way they’ll cast Noho Dimitis. One Iron Bank spokesperson is more than enough, and they’ll probably want to give Mark Gattis as much screentime as possible in season 5.

88. Fire And Blood
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 1:38 am | Permalink

I think I’ve disagreed with GeekFurious maybe ONCE.

Guess this is twice. Love Sherlock. I find it fantastic, and the acting from all sides is phenomenal.

Glad the show moved Tycho Nestoris’s appearance up, just to give him greater weight in the future.

89. Lord Davos
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 2:06 am | Permalink

Rygar,

That Maggie character seemed off. Im sure that doesnt down the acting, she is an able actress. Its a two man show.
    There are no other characters, no agency from them pfft.
    I thought the show at first was a thriller checking in with horror trappings, then it just took a cop-out.
    Wife gets bandied all up in the mens standout, but wife is no character.
    She simple get angry to split the cops up, cops get together again.
    Wife has no agency yet we have this episode about her messing with the cops, stupid noir trappings. Not better than GoT. Its just bad narration.
    If I am going to be extra pissy, no way she is gonna have that nice ass, is mother of two hospital nurse working hard, no just fake.
    That other girl is a big tool, but she has a real ass. Hate both characters, they belong on the walking dead. This is something that would happen on that show. Like instead of having a man vs zombie standoff once in a while.

90. Satin
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 2:58 am | Permalink

Veltigar:

It doesn’t help that the cases are usually easy enough that I catch the culprit half an hour before Sherlock (I’ve been reading and watching mysteries since I was a wee little thing, so this isn’t very surprising), which I wouldn’t mind if the show wasn’t trying to sell him as the Greatest. Detective. Ever. And while all of that is the concept and the writing, Cumberbatch only enhances it. His Sherlock is annoying and slap-worthy, the rest of the show exceedingly self-satisfied. They are not half as good as they think, and I’m constantly baffled why anyone believes they are.

I’m not blaming Into Dorkness on Cumberbatch, what makes you think that? I believe he is miscast, but the problems of the movie are to blame on Abrams and his writers, not the actors. And Abrams can do better; Alias and Fringe both were quality at their high points. Maybe he should return to TV, instead of doing movie franchises. Unless he’s by now replaced all of his talent with lens flares.

I’ll check out Parade’s End, thanks for the tip.

91. ADRIA
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 4:07 am | Permalink

I have to say that Cumberbatch seems a really good actor for me, and that he even grows when is not at the focus. I mean, i don’t know how many peaople here have seen August (the movie of Julia Roberts and a huge Meryl Streep, and many others), but there Cumberbatch have a minor role in the shoes of a slightly mental handicap or something similar, and well, i have to say that he really makes shine the movie with his interpretation, worth to watch it.

So, i’m with the guy that think that he can be a nice Quentin…. for me it will be a perfect fit, specially with the increased ages of Daenerys, Jon and other younglings of the books.

92. Ross
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 4:40 am | Permalink

Sherlock was great – really great – early on, but has turned into a disaster. I don’t understand why, but the writing in Season 3 was just awful. Particularly the wedding episode – was an incoherent mess that was. You can get away with the self-satisfied tone and jaunty music when the plotting / dialogue is great, but when it’s not, it all becomes very irritating. It’s a shame as season 1 and half of season 2, was absolutely brilliant.

93. AJC
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 4:50 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

There are definitely issues with Sherlock and I’m not sure how long the show can last, it seems that the actual mysteries have been put aside in favour of jerking off over how super clever and ‘high functioning sociopathic’ he is. I really don’t like Steven Moffat’s writing, I think it’s shallow and tries to be too clever for its own good on both this and dr who.

Calling it the worst show ever, in 2013, in a world that has weathered some truly awful television, is blatant trolling, though. Most currently overrated perhaps.

EDIT: it’s 2014. Where have I been for the past few months?!

94. Satin
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 5:36 am | Permalink

AJC,

the writing on Sherlock isn’t Moffat’s alone, though. Gatiss shares showrunner duty, and his writing is at least as bad. I’ve always enjoyed his acting, but never liked his writing, be that as screenwriter or as book author. He often comes across as too glib and flat.

Moffat actually does well when he’s only doing a couple of eps per season and isn’t the showrunner. His early work on DW was excellent. But in the last few years, as soon as he’s the showrunner, the plots get overly complicated and nonsensical, while everyone stands around and delivers snappy dialogue in lieu of having consistent characterization (Jekyll is particularly annoying here, too, since it also has James Nesbitt laying waste to the scenery like he has some fibre deficit).

95. Abyss
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 7:03 am | Permalink

[Wrong thread...]

96. Rygar
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Will you be back with the tweets from each episode this season?

97. Ser Hound
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Lord Davos,

Are you really surprised? I felt like that confrontation was building the entire show and the wife was obviously going to be the catalyst. It made perfect sense in the storyline to me.

98. Patchy Faxe
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Ser Hound,

I was completely not surprised. Could see that coming a mile away. But really thought Maggie was over the top in her use of Rust. Geez

99. Lol
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 10:13 am | Permalink

AJC,

It’s funny you should say that because the actual source material for the episodes is pretty light on mystery too so maybe you should be bitching at Doyle?

100. Rygar
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Lord Davos,

True Dectective Spoilers below.

She wasn’t trying to split up Cohle and Hart. She wanted to hurt Hart as deep as possible by sleeping with Cohle, a person who is vastly different from Hart himself, and is everything that Hart is not. Hart is obsessed with youth and virility, and is unfocused on what matters the most, wife and family. He admits his inattentiveness was his downfall. Cohle holds the idea of family sacred. Discussing the loss of his daughter is one of the only times he wears his internal feelings on his sleeve and its been heart breaking to watch.

All the acting in this show is superior to anything else I have seen, including the Wire and Deadwood. I was not a fan of WH or MM prior to TD but I am believer now. Testify, bitches.

101. Veltigar
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Greenjones:
    Veltigar,

BTW Veltigar, you’re Brightfyre theory is excellent.

Patchy Face:
    Veltigar,

Are you serious?Ranking Sherlock better than GoT and in contention with TD?Not even close.I’m not crazy about House of Cards but it was more entertaining than Sherlock.

Yes, Sherlock is better than GoT. The story just fits tighter and it has less trouble keeping up to standards.

As to TD, I have only seen 4 episodes. If the quality remains consistent than it beats Sherlock, but than again if the quality remains as high than TD is by far the best show on TV right now, so not exactly a knock on Sherlock.

Satin: While I intensely dislike Sherlock‘s Sherlock, I don’t think that can be blamed on Cumberbatch alone. I know they are playing it as “Functioning Sociopath,” but to me, he comes across as some overgrown, arrogant schoolboy.

Hmm, personally that doesn’t bother me. I too have grown up watching detective shows and I always catch the culprit before the protagonist does.

Because that’s how shows like this are supposed to work. If you watch it attentivly than you are supposed to be able to get who did it before the cop/detective/… does. The other scenario, where the final reveal is just an asspull is imo terrible and lame.

Satin: While I intensely dislike Sherlock

I’ll check out Parade’s End, thanks for the tip.

Well, you did state:

See how I was confused :p

+ Thanks to that I got a chance to vent my loathing of J.J. Abrams :p, one of the biggest hacks currently working (I haven’t seen Alias and Fringe but I’ll take your word on it that it was good) in Hollywood.

What he made of Lost was so horrible that it almost physically hurts to remember that show :’( I feel for the hardcore Star Trek and soon Star Wars fan (I wouldn’t put it passed the guy to make a Star Wars VII Rise of Jar-jar).

With great power comes great responsibility to cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

102. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 10:38 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger: They made it work with Diana Rigg but she doesn’t have the rabid fan base Benedict Cumberbatch does and Rigg is best known for things she did decades ago.

The “grand dame” role is one that can usually survive more high-profile casting. In terms of star power, Maggie Smith has always stuck out on Downton Abbey compared with her co-stars, though Shirley Maclaine and now of course Paul Giamatti give her a run for her money. But agreed that stunt casting really would hurt this show; Doran Martell is about the only other role that would be able to carry a big name face, and even then it has to be a person with real gravitas to handle the shock of seeing them (a Ben Kingsley type would work; Javier Bardem, not so much).

103. Satin
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Veltigar,

see, I’m not sure Sherlock is supposed to work that way. I think we’re supposed to sit there in awe of his superior skills and admire him while he is an asshole to everybody. But, eh. Interpretations. I don’t completely hate the show, btw, but it makes me roll my eyes more often than not. And it’s often abundantly clear that they don’t have enough material to fill 90 minutes of show, which is a bit of a general failure on their part.

To defend Abrams at least a bit, he really isn’t to blame for the Lost mess, since he virtually didn’t work on the show anymore after S1. That’s all on Lindelof and Cuse (and boy, did they fuck things up. I still love the series, mostly! But when I think about what could have been, and what they did with it… white-hot blinding RAGE.)

104. Jared
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Ren Snow,

I’m aware. The assumption that I and many others made when Gatiss was cast was that he will serve as the show’s stand-in for all of the named representatives from the Iron Bank, Noho Dimittis included.

105. Veltigar
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Satin:
    Veltigar,

What they did to Lost after season one… horrible though season two was okay I guess. Still pissed of about the fact that they chose to kill of Mr. Eko. The only new character who wasn’t boring

None of you seem to understand. I’m not locked in here with you. You’re locked in here with *ME*! Right until Mads Mikkelsen is cast as Euron

106. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Since we’re speculating, sure, a few episode titles:

1 – The Dornish Marches
    2 – The Lives of Four Kings (I really like this one)
    3 – This Lord and That Lord
    4 – The Sword in the Darkness
    5 – A Knight of the Kingsguard
    6 – Oathkeeper
    7 – Hear Me Roar
    8 – Some Dead Man
    9 – The Watcher on the Wall
    10 – A Cat of a Different Coat, or perhaps A Golden Chain

107. Rygar
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

What about for episode 410: Pizza’s here! No wait, shit, its Jehovah’s witnesses

108. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    GreatJon of Slumber,

Yeah, that’s good, I also like “The Yadda Yadda,” “Ozymandias,” or “Chuckles Bites the Dust.”

109. Lord Davos
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

It still doesnt beat Breaking Bad for me, cause that is the most intense crime show i have ever seen.
    Walter White is better than any tv figure before and McCounaghey cant just come and knock that off.
    As for GoT, that is the only show that keeps such high level casting, not always the best acting, but always great enough to outshine shows like the wire and deadwood, by sheer numbers. I can watch Swearengen fucking anyday, but i can also see Tyrion and Bronn, Drogo and Dany or Theon and Ramsay. The arguably worst actor in the show even gets lead roles in movies, if that says something.
    TD is really a miniseries, and i can name a hundred great miniseries, but i guess Rustin Cohle is classic coke, and you dont skip coke for lesser drinks. The show is very clever, but the problem is when its not that clever. Then it sort of becomes
    “Did you see that shot! Amazing show!” or “McCounaghey is a great actor? This show is unbelievable!”
    I knew Maggie would hook up with Rust, but the dissapointing thing is when they have Maggie to act as this angry bitch, so that the writers can have a fight between Rust and Marty. Stumbling narrative is what i call it.
    Its a Shae situation, but when Shae is no whore anylonger. I love the show, just putting that down there. But i have seen a certain favorite zombie show being dragged into soap by relationship fights and cheating and soap stuff like that.
    Im not saying TD is soap, but it is too random before the end. I am afraid it will be either “WTF was that!” or “Was that it?”. Over ambitious mystery shows stand for fall.
    Pizzolatto is a very impressive asset to HBO, so i am excited for next year, but not optimistic. Let him not get total Grrm syndrome before they wave him off.

110. Rygar
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

Why does it have to “beat” anything for you? I have never seen Breaking Bad and have no intention to. That’s just a personal preference for me. It may very well be a great show and live up to the hype, but I’m just not interested in investing any free time with it.

We all knew Maggie would hook up with Rust, but not in the way depicted. What else (besides pussy and competing sports teams) would cause two men to want to fight each other? That’s not Soap. That’s life. However, there is so much symbolism thrown at you that even mundane boy vs boy over the girl fight scenes are poignant. What makes this show great is its ability to do this in almost every aspect of the story telling.

The fact that I enjoy TD more so than my other favorite HBO shows (Wire, Deadwood, Curb, BoB, Sopranos) in no way diminishes how much I love those other shows. You seem to feel threatened by TD as being better than Breaking Bad or GoT and thus are trying to focus on anything negative. Who cares what’s better? I’m not trying to push TD on anyone. I just find it to be the best thing (series, miniseries, soap, etc) I’ve ever seen.

But also enjoy a good dick joke so…

111. Patchy Face
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Yep. TD is the best thing on the tube right now. You must be a true Eggs shipper to admire that just ok version of Holmes. So where do you think BC fits into GoT? I would like to see that-

112. Lord Davos
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

You are probably right.
    I still dont think that TD is anywhere as good as people say,
    but that may be me feeling it being so random.
    It came from left field, i thought the first three episodes are best, but now it is cliche to me.

I recently started the sopranos, so that may be something to do with it.

113. Veltigar
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face:
    Veltigar,

Yep.TD is the best thing on the tube right now. You must be a true Eggs shipper to admire that just ok version of Holmes. So where do you think BC fits into GoT?I would like to see that-

Not really, I just believe that credit is due when credit is due. BC is a great actor and he proves that in 12 years a slave, PE and Sherlock. Of course that doesn’t mean that he can’t be bad in some things, I haven’t heard many positive things about the Fifth Estate for instance so he’s probably bad in that (though I haven’t seen the movie myself and therefore I can’t verify that).

As to him appearing on GoT, that’s the trouble right now, I don’t really see any big role that would fit him. He could make a good Tattered Prince, but then they would have to seriously alter that character (age him down, etc.) or perhaps one of the priests in tHoB&W.

Still, those aren’t the best roles for him. There are some minor characters in the books (which will never appear on the show sadly) that I could think would be hilarious if he plays them. Someone like Leo Tyrell or Aurane Waters or Hyle Hunt or Rhaegar Frey or … But that’s never going to happen sadly.

Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. That’s always been the difference between us, Daniel. Now, let us Cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

114. TheBerylfly
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who thinks wherever whores go should totally make it as an episode title?

115. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

TheBerylfly,

That wouldn’t be a bad one. Almost feels like a Season 5/Episode 1 title, though.

116. Fire And Blood
    Posted February 25, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Fire And Blood,

Will you be back with the tweets from each episode this season?

I shall, ser.

117. Lou Reed
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:46 am | Permalink

If you put some white hair on him, Cumberbatch would be perfect as prince Rhaegar, if and when they start telling the story of Roberts rebellion. He’s got that Targaryan face.

118. Annara Snow
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Veltigar: Thanks mate :D I’m glad someone read and enjoyed it :D I haven’t had the time to check in on Westeros.org so this is a promising signal :D

As to TD, I have only seen 4 episodes. If the quality remains consistent than it beats Sherlock, but than again if the quality remains ashigh than TD is by far the best show on TV right now, so not exactly a knock on Sherlock.

Well, you did state:

See how I was confused :p

What he made of Lost was so horrible thatit almost physically hurts to remember that show :’( I feel for the hardcore Star Trek and soon Star Wars fan (I wouldn’t put it passed the guy to make a Star Wars VII Rise of Jar-jar).

Abrams didn’t do anything of Lost, apart from the pilot and a few plot points that were used in season 1. The credit or blame for everything else goes to Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. And Lindelof was always the main writer for Lost and the one who came up with most of the characters. He just wasn’t such a big name to put on the credits as Abrams was.

119. Annara Snow
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:09 am | Permalink

Veltigar: Oh, I didn’t know that Abrams had an excuse for the “Lost” fuck up. That show still haunts me though, it was the first big series that my friends and I watched live and could discuss and all that. I still think the pilot episode is perhaps the greatest pilot in TV history.

It wasn’t their fault that the actor didn’t want to live in Hawaii anymore and wanted to be out of the show. They had big plans for his storyline, which they had to change. The same thing happened when Mira Furlan (Danielle) had had enough of living in Hawaii, and they had to kill her off.

120. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Satin,

Yeah, the Joan Crawford portrayal is available on Youtube and it’s a humorous take, not a dramatic one…it’s quite funny actually. Here’s a link http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/video/2013/may/29/mark-gatiss-crawford-psychobitches-video