George R.R. Martin releases new excerpt from The Winds of Winter
By Lightbringer on in Books.

It’s been over two years since the latest installment of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire, and we have yet to hear any official word on how long we’ll be waiting for the next. But today, Entertainment Weekly has released an exclusive excerpt from The Winds of Winter in the form of a paragraph from a familiar character’s POV chapter.

The paragraph is a preview of the new content that will be included in the newest update to George R.R. Martin’s A World of Ice and Fire app. The update, coming in March, will bring many new character and location descriptions as well as the entire POV chapter.

If the wait has proved too long, and you simply can’t resist, check out the new paragraph at EW.Com.

Today’s excerpt marks the fourth that has been published. The first and second were released on George R.R. Martin’s official website, and the third can be found in the paperback edition of A Dance with Dragons.

One paragraph? If only today had brought us news of the book’s actual release date. Here’s to hoping it comes very soon.

1. cane-cutter
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Hodor

2. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

It gives absolutely no new information:

TYRION
    Somewhere off in the far distance, a dying man was screaming for his mother. “To horse!” a man was yelling in Ghiscari, in the next camp to the north of the Second Sons. “To horse! To horse!” High and shrill, his voice carried a long way in the morning air, far beyond his own encampment. Tyrion knew just enough Ghiscari to understand the words, but the fear in his voice would have been plain in any tongue. I know how he feels.

3. A Secret Baratheon
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Isn’t this only the third sample chapter from TWOW?

4. House Mormont
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

tWoW spoilers

Is this from the chapter where he’s with the Second Sons and the white dragon on the cyvasse board lands at his feet, or the one where the battle rages around him and Victarion lands at the end of the chapter

5. Bryan
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Any one who knows where i can find the third chapter online?

Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

A Secret Baratheon,

It’s the fourth. The other three are listed in the post.

7. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

A Secret Baratheon,

Theon
    Arianne
    Barriston(I believe he may have 2 sample chapters)
    Tyrion

So that makes 4 or 5. It wouldn’t shock me if they were chapters that were already written and omitted from ADWD, especially the Meereen ones.

8. House Mormont
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Bryan,

I just listened to it, there’s no text version

Ser Barristan I

It’s weird to think these Meereen chapters were written three years ago

9. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

A Secret Baratheon,

I think 3 have been officially released but we’ve heard parts from 6/7 chapters.
    Arianne I & II, Victarion, Barristan I & II, Theon, Tyrion

10. Bryan
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Any one who knows where i can find the third chapter online?

11. House Mormont
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

What happened in Arianne II? I dunno if I read the notes, and there have been two Tyrion chapters too

12. R0b0
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Nearly had a heart attack.

Man, all these preview chapters make me feel like there’s going to be too many PoVs in Meereen to cover a relatively short time span. The pace really needs to pick up if he want to wrap up this series in the next two books. (Still convinced it’s gonna take 8 books.)

13. House Mormont
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Oh just to confirm this is an exert from Tyrion II, he’s read the non-final version at WorldCon last year

14. Clob
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

OT: fan made S4 trailer using Lordes’ cover of “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”

15. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

This is going to sound terrible.

We’re all screaming at him “To Horse!”
    As the dying man wails…
    And Tyrion reflects, “I know how he feels”.

How’s that for an update.

16. Tori Targaryen
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

R0b0:
    Nearly had a heart attack.

It’s nice that he releases these chapters once in a while, but I just end up thinking it signals that it’s going to be even longer until we hear a release date……. Prove me wrong, mighty cosmos.

17. Reza
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

As a non book reader I only hope that he has passed the main information to the show runners so they know where to go from here…

18. House Mormont
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister,

the full chapter is really action packed though, but a progress update would be better

19. Tori Targaryen
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Reza:

GRRM has stated before that D&D already know what ending he has in mind for ASOIAF. But it means, if they catch up, they are going to have to deviate from the books and create their own scenarios to reach that ending.

20. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Did not know this site covered the books. Pleasantly surprised! (Though it’s possible I found the Arianne sample chapter last year here).

On topic: I will not be reading Meereen chapters. I’d much rather be surprised by the battle on a first read than know half of it before the book is in my hands. This will definitely tempt me though. GRRM should hurry up…

21. Veltigar
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Tori Targaryen: You may be right there, unless TWOW and ADOS turn out to be monster tomes to read. Which I wouldn’t mind, to be honest.

Well, it can also be a positive sign. If anyone has the numbers we might be able to compare the amount of sample chapters (released both officially and at readings) that were released before ADWD with the one’s we have now.

TWOW is going to be about the size of ADWD. So, if GRRM released let’s say 5 official sample chapters for ADWD and he has now released 4 for tWoW than that’s a very hopeful sign ;)

Wizard of Oz: You, my friend, are a victim of disorganized thinking. You are under the unfortunate impression that just because you run away you have no courage; you’re confusing courage with wisdom, or as it is known here: casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euron.

22. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

It would be a good sign if any of the chapters he’s releasing now weren’t written 3 years ago as part of ADWD and pushed back into TWOW.

23. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Hello Mormont. I know i know. I have read and heard the sample chapters… I wasn’t really complaining. Just speculating, morbidly, about his choice of paragraphs. :/ Perhaps he’s communicating with his fans….
    I bet he’s under so much pressure. I certainly hope he stays healthy and is able to continue writing until he feels like he’s finished. I don’t care how long it takes.

24. Glen Janred
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

GRRM needs to get on his destrier (or off his derrier) and finish WoW and DoS ASAP. He owes it, yes OWES it, to the countless fans who are totally invested in his creation, and who ultimately paid for his house. It would be pathetic if the series caught up to the books with nowhere to go. He’s not getting any younger … or healthier by the look of it. I’m worried that he might pull a Frank Herbert on us.

25. ACVG
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

holy moly that was a short paragraph… talk about tease

26. Easteros bunny
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Four chapters so far? Maybe he will just release the book, chapter by chapter.

He should worry about the encylopedia of his world after he has completed the story. If he doesn’t want the show to catch up with the books then he needs to pull his finger out.

I want to read the ending before I see the ending.

27. TimeforTravel
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

The series will pass the books next year. The series will probably REALLY deviate from the books by then.

28. zod
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Way to spoil season 4 for the non-readers, EW.

They reveal that Tyrion is alive in book 6.. which takes away all the potential tension that his trial was supposed to generate this year.

29. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Glen Janred,

He doesn’t owe US anything, but he owes himself a bunch. I think he will feel much worse than any of his fans if the show catches up. It would suck for everyone, really. D&D as fans won’t feel good about continuing, the quality of the show will be hindered because it won’t be based on GRRM’s source material (all the potential awesome GRRM quotes won’t make it to the show, for instance) which would in turn disappoint show watchers… It’s a lose-lose situation, and I’m sure GRRM is going to work his ass off on ADOS to at least try to prevent it.

EDIT: … But for now he’ll take his sweet, sweet time with TWOW, as always.

30. Canis Dirus
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

zod,

These are my least favorite type of comments… Someone who reads an article that says “New Chapter from Book 6″ should probably not read the article if they don’t want to be spoiled on something as simple as that some character is still alive. C’mon.

31. Tori Targaryen
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I don’t think GRRM owes his fans anything. Yes, I feel a little impatient to read the next book, however, I’d hate for it to be rushed. The longer he takes on it, the better the result. I’ll appreciate said result one day, but for now, yep, I’m impatient lol That’s my problem though, not his

32. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

zod,

Only people who read the article will get spoiled (and if they do, they deserve to be spoiled), the title doesn’t mention Tyrion.

33. King DBC
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Reading this like “GRRM releases new”… Holy shit holy shit holy shit! “Excerpt”

Fuck.

34. zod
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Canis Dirus,

Hand of the Kingslayer,

Did you somehow miss the big picture of Tyrion right under the title? Everybody can see that from EW main page.

But whatever.

35. gisizzlah
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

nice bday gift grrm… thx :)

36. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

zod,

It’s a picture from the show. It means less than nothing. These sights stuff loosely related show photos with ASOIAF book articles all the time. Unsullied won’t presume that the photo means the chapter is a Tyrion chapter.

37. Veltigar
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer:
    Veltigar,

IIRC GRRM had already written parts of ADWD by the time AFFC came out so they probably cancel each other out.

Shaun: As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no “I” in team, but there is an “I” in pie. And there’s an “I” in meat pie. Anagram of meat is team… I don’t know what he’s talking about. [Obviously, he's talking about casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euron]

38. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

It’s not new, he read this chapter in August 2013 at some convention. I suspect it’s one of the leftovers from ADWD, because it’s a part of the battle of Meereen and he said that he had this sequence finished or almost finished before the release of ADWD.

39. Valaquen
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

I have a feeling that D&D get to see his material, so they probably know how the next couple of seasons will pan out more or less. The last season and book will probably start to really diverge. It’ll be interesting if GRRM keeps writing episodes that he’s only written for the book in draft form (or not at all…)

40. Balerion
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Is
    this
    a

sign????

41. Shaldun
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Interesting to publish that in the middle of the GOT marketing push (posters and teasers then an excerpt of TWOW). Will a release date be announced during the diffusion of an episode ? Imagine the premiere or the finale (I would prefer the premiere) after the credits, we have a teaser or GRRM that announces the release of the book (in July if it’s the premiere, in the fall if it’s the finale). Would be so epic

42. Zeus
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

So glad he’s releasing excerpts from the battle I care about less. I want to read the other one as it comes out. Mannis

43. Rygar
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

This is ASoIaF news, not GoT so it almost doesn’t belong here.

44. BenesHacha
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Call me jadedly cynical, but I feel like the next thing will be a new sample chapter embedded in a Brand New Wild Cards Story.

45. Shaldun
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Easteros bunny:
    Four chapters so far? Maybe he will just release the book, chapter by chapter.

I want to read the ending before I see the ending.

It would be interesting to have the book released chapter by chapter. Ok not one chapter at a time but like a bunch of 10, 15 or so chapters. An author like Hugh Howey does it like that, a book is released before in 5 parts before the all book is released with all the content. It would be great for GRRM and his publisher as let’s be honest, the major part of the readers would buy every part and at the end it would certainly be more expensive than the whole book in a time. But on the plus side for us, we would have more often some releases of ASOIAF.
    Plus it would work quite well as there are cliffhangers at the end of almost every chapter in the books.

46. Al Swearengen
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

MY GAHHWD IT’S A MIRACLE.

47. Hounded
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

My optimistic side is hoping that this could mark the start of more information about TWOW. Maybe a release date might be announced soon?

48. Non-Believer
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Some people aren’t going to like what I’m going to write ; but , I hope that the show does catch up with GRRM , than they will write their own ending to this incredible saga and we’ll finally get a conclusion . Who knows when GRRM is going to finish ? it might take him another 10 years before he does …

49. Lord Davos
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Balerion,

It means George are making news of chapters he read months ago.
    He is getting fuzzy, normal at his age.

50. Lord Davos
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Non-Believer,

Im worried it would make sense to see what D&D cook up. Their handling of Brans story would be funny and exciting.

51. Anne
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

is that app really $25.00?

52. Hounded
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

He could meet up with Roz.

53. Brian
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

One paragraph, no news on release date, is this a joke?

54. orion
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Anne,
    I paid 5 dollars for all the content.

55. Lion's Tooth
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Can we look forward to a new preview sentence somewhere down the line, maybe 2016?

56. Wastrel
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Lion’s Tooth,

Lion’s Tooth:

Only if you buy whatever product he’s selling in 2016…

57. Elizabeth
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

I honestly think George R R Martin writes a paragraph a day. I get he is a busy man caught up with press junkets & whatnot, but he has got to be one of the slowest writers out there. I personally do not understand how he can write so slowly & yet still create a book that has some flow…oh wait…

58. King in the North Carolina
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

TimeforTravel:

I don’t see a reason to believe that. The series has yet to cover a good chunk of ASOS, and almost all of AFFC and ADWD.

59. Abyss
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Clob,

Wow, over 400 tsd. views in couple of days. Not bad for a fan trailer!

60. Sister Wrister
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Why is everybody so fucking cynical? Damn, it’s as if this whole series was created for all you entitled ass clowns to agonize over and bitch about.

Moving right along, I read here somewhere awhile back about the idea floated (iirc by hbo production), that the final book could be released like the Tuesday prior to the final episode (which would maybe be a two or three hour deal)….
    How cool would it be if everybody was unsullied, watching the final season unfold, and then for book readers to get our hands on the book and binge out for a week until the finale aired…

I think this would rock. It would also be a first for pop culture rollout… HUGE marketing possibilities

Perhaps it’s not possible, but one can hope

61. samarablackcat
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Permalink
  62. Lisa
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

GRRM is a grown ass man and can take as long as he wants. But if your going to take that long, the books damn well better be woth it. And that last two have not been. So I’m not at all excited for book 6, because it wil lost likely be horrible, long and boring.

63. Zack Luye
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Sister Wrister,

That would be incredible

64. hypeislongdead
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 12:21 am | Permalink

This whole thing about publishing excepts is really pathetic. Take your time, GRRM, write or don’t write at all, but it should be never done the way those moneybags from Hollywood behave.

65. Kevin
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 1:38 am | Permalink

Elizabeth:

David Gerrold published the 4th book in his 7 book series over 20 years ago (1993). Every few years he pops and up and says book five will be done real soon now like Lucy with the football. His website currently says “I hope to finish it this year. 2011. Really.” He makes about 15 Facebook posts a day about anything and everything but his books but can’t be bothered to update his website. So please, save your ire for someone that’s earned it. GRRM is at best a hedge knight when it comes to this stuff. Gerrold is, well, the White Bull.

66. vlad
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 3:12 am | Permalink

It may be the first time published, but GRRM has already read this chapter, and a couple others… IMO, the best one yet is the one of Theon, about Stannis.

67. UncleB
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 4:49 am | Permalink

That’s all he has written until now. Every five years a new paragraph.

68. cosca
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 5:06 am | Permalink

Kevin,

They’ve both earned it. Just because David Gerrold is more of a lazy amateur than GRRM doesn’t mean GRRM isn’t a lazy amateur.

69. Annara Snow
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 5:38 am | Permalink

So, you guys would prefer him to release a chapter from the middle of the book, which spoils a whole lot of stuff, rather than one of those from the early part of the book, which would make a lot more sense?

Geez, what a bunch of entitled clowns, indeed.

70. Chickenduck
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 5:54 am | Permalink

Easteros bunny:
    Four chapters so far? Maybe he will just release the book, chapter by chapter.

It worked for Dickens, I guess.

71. TimeforTravel
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 7:29 am | Permalink

King in the North Carolina,

The series will have a great pacing this year. AFFC and ADWD have so much material that is going to be cut out. Also this season will start to get in AFFC and ADWD material for some characters.
    It’s not set in stone but I honestly think at the end of season 5, a certain big event at the start of book 6 will be shown on screen. I believe seasons 6 and onward will be a fanfic of D&D because I don’t think GRRM wants to spoil big plot points for his upcoming books.

72. cosca
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 7:57 am | Permalink

TimeforTravel,

Doubt it. They’ve made a point several times of the fact that George already gave them the ending and how it would play out up to that point, that’s what they’re going to deliver. Not to mention that it’s the only ending we’ll ever get, so probably best to make it the one George planned.

73. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Not too many. The Prologue, the first Daenerys, the first Tyrion and I think the first Jon. More were read out at conventions, but those four I believe were the only ones put on his website. Oh, and the first Reek/Theon chapter was released in a magazine as well, so five in total.

It’s been generally assumed that GRRM gave D&D an outline when the show started (and sent them drafts of ADWD before it came out, so I assume he’s doing the same with TWoW) and then there was a big story conference in Santa Fe last year in which those matters were discussed in more detail. There assumption is that there is now something of a roadmap for how they get to the end of the series, based on the direction GRRM is going in but not slavishly following it (if only because the books have more characters and subplots that simply don’t exist in the TV show).

The Tyrion and Barristan chapters were certainly pushed back, plus the first Arianne, the first Asha and a Sansa chapter. He’s definitely written more Sansa chapters since then (I think Westeros.org alluded to shocking events in a later one) and I believe the second Arianne chapter was also written (or at least finished) post-ADWD.

who ultimately paid for his house

GRRM paid for his first house with his earnings from FEVRE DREAM and his short fiction, and his second house with his earnings from Hollywood.

We – or HBO – did pay for his cinema, however ;)

That would be great, but his UK publishers have said they are not expecting TWoW until the end of 2015 at the earliest, so it would seem unlikely.

The rest of ASoS and a fair bit of AFFC/ADWD will be adapted in Season 4. The rest will follow in Season 5. Season 5 will almost certainly end with either the Battle of Meereen or Winterfell from the start of Book 6 (they can’t afford to do two major battles per season, so putting one in Season 5 and the other in Season 6 is the best way of handling it). There is no way then can take any longer over AFFC/ADWD, because at that point they’re going to start squeezing the end of the series. With 7 seasons that will allow them to dedicate 10 episodes each to TWoW and ADoS (probably the minimum necessary), or with 8 they can dedicate a season and a half to each book, which is better.

but he has got to be one of the slowest writers out there.

ASoIaF is currently averaging at just under 100,000 words a year, which is perfectly reasonable (there are authors who take 2 or 3 years to put out a 100,000-word novel, like Guy Gavriel Kay). The problem isn’t that GRRM is a very slow writer (he’s always exaggerated that, especially when you consider that for every 1,000 words we get he’s probably produced twice that in deleted drafts), more that he’s writing a series comprising massive, 1,000 page novels when his writing style might not be best-suited for that.

74. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

I personally think that his writing for the show and the conventions actually are beneficial to the progress he is making. He seems to be the kind of writer who gets stuck by over-thinking stuff, such as the Meereenese knot. Interacting with D&D&BC about the ending actually forces him to put things in order. He can perhaps probe them for input too. Re-visiting his earlier work from a different angle for the show could prevent getting stuck as well. I think we should not underestimate him and his capabilities.
    I’m actually (cautiously) positive about TWOW.

75. Shmofo
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:

I doubt Mr. Martin wrote 3 chapters in the last 3 years, he’s not slow, but he’s not that fast either. He probably wrote one Sansa and one Arianne (with sex scenes, to keep him motivated in finishing the two chapters), but I doubt he wrote the third one.

I’m grateful that D&D will give us closure of the series. I may have doubts in Mr. Martin writing 2 instead of 3 or 4 chapters in these years, but where I have absolute no doubts is this — the book series will never be finished.

76. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:

But 70.000 words of those 100.000 are food descriptions and travel logs …

77. Lord Davos
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Shmofo,

Then why is he saying he is writing faster?
    To torture my soul?

78. cosca
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Lord Davos,

He only says that so people will leave him alone, he’s probably not writing faster. George is a very busy man, cinemas don’t run themselves you know.

79. Shmofo
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Lord Davos:
    Shmofo,

Then why is he saying he is writing faster?
    To torture my soul?

Did he say it? I don’t follow the nfl-blogger and theatre-owner that close anymore.

You torture yourself though. The sooner you realize that you are not his female dog, the easier will it be for you. You don’t owe him anything. He doesn’t own you. Remember, you yourself define the wait, and not the lazy fat. You wait as much as you want to wait, and not as much as he takes time to finish a paragraph or a book. You decide your wait. My wait ended three years ago. I did start to wait for the show, though. But it takes only a year, and I know the end is near. Oh, happy days.

To reiterate: you torture yourself. Free yourself from the bond, walk away free. It may be hard at the beginning, but it’s rewarding on the long run.

80. Ser Lucas Tyrell
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Zack Luye:
    Sister Wrister,

That would be incredible

Sister Wrister:

I think this would rock.It would also be a first for pop culture rollout… HUGE marketing possibilities

And we, thousands of miles away from the US or GB – where my copies were printed – get fucked. My copies took weeks to arrive.

Tori Targaryen:

Completely agree. He’s not our bitch. Down there, in the darkest and deepest pit of my soul’s desire (?) I want to scream at him and tell him to hurry up with it. I don’t though. I have HUGE respect for the guy and for the things he’s done.

81. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

The book will probably weigh in at around 70 chapters, the same as the others (bar only AFFC). If a quarter was done a year ago, that’s about 17-18 chapters done (5 or 6 inherited from ADWD), more in drafts. It would be interesting to see if that was the case, but I see no reason to assume deception. If GRRM was a liar, he’d simply say he’s been working hard on the book without surcease for the last 3 years, and he’s been up-front about saying that’s not the case.

But 70.000 words of those 100.000 are food descriptions and travel logs …

Maybe so. But if you’re writing off the rest of the series as food descriptions and travelogues and nothing more, why do you care?

82. Rygar
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Shmofo,

I think part of human nature is to bitch. I know it can be tedious to witness at times, but if you dont like it, then Zen your ass away from it.

I love to bitch. I find it engaging, or else I wouldn’t be calling you out on this.

The elite position you hold is not above those that still harp on GURM for not finishing the books. You still bitch by saying you “are free” from it. Instead of complaining about GURM, you bitch about saying you’re not complaining anymore. In effect, you are giving yourself validation for having the same negative reaction to GURMS delays as those that constantly complain about it and discuss it.

I don’t defend GURM nor do I enjoy bashing him. I just like starting shit.

83. Rygar
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Ser Lucas Tyrell,

No you dont get fucked. You just wait an extra week to illegally download the show.

84. Strider
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Rygar:
    Shmofo,
    I think part of human nature is to bitch.I know it can be tedious to witness at times, but if you don’t like it, then Zen your ass away from it.

The elite position you hold is not above those that still harp on GURM for not finishing the books. You still bitch by saying you “are free” from it.Instead of complaining about GURM, you bitch about saying you’re not complaining anymore. In effect, you are giving yourself validation for having the same negative reaction to GURMS delays as those that constantly complain about it and discuss it.
    I don’t defend GURM nor do I enjoy bashing him. I just like starting shit.

Oh, Rygar! If I didn’t already have a favorite poster you’d so be it!!! :)

Mr. Whitehead, is there a link to corroborate your statement that the UK publisher’s are waiting for WoW at the earliest in 2015 at the end of the year? Besides the Twitter exchange?

85. Lord Davos
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Shmofo,

But he likes torturing me, he confessed that in interviews too.
    He tortures me by releasing a chapter a time, by dropping hints.
    Sandstorms and whatnot.

86. Rygar
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Strider,

You mean I’m not your favorite? I’m too narcissistic to care.

87. Shmofo
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Shmofo,

The elite position you hold is not above those that still harp on GURM for not finishing the books.You still bitch by saying you “are free” from it.Instead of complaining about GURM, you bitch about saying you’re not complaining anymore. In effect, you are giving yourself validation for having the same negative reaction to GURMS delays as those that constantly complain about it and discuss it.

I don’t defend GURM nor do I enjoy bashing him. I just like starting shit.

My late grandmother always said: “Start your shit on a toilet seat”.

I don’t find femaledogging tedious (where did you get this?), and neither I find femaledogging about me femaledogging problematic. Femaledog at your leisure, you are welcomed.

I don’t defend GURM nor do I enjoy bashing him. I just like telling it as it is.

88. Rygar
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Shmofo,

I didn’t say YOU find it tedious, I said I know it can be tedious at times.

And you hurled “Lazy Fat” in regards to “defining the wait” by GURM. If you don’t enjoy bashing him, then why insult?

Let’s look at the facts. Is he fat? Sure, I’d say so. Obese? That I am not sure because I dont know his height, but if we could run a BMI test maybe we would know for sure. Lazy? Now here’s one that is difficult to determine if factual. He DOES do quite a bit externally and seems to be pretty active in his profession. But one mans lazy is another mans marathon so it is subjective at best.

So no, “Lazy Fat” would not be telling it “like it is”. Its presumptious and is a means of bashing someone.

89. Shmofo
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Fair point.

I surrender.

90. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

That’s pretty much it (that was a Twitter exchange between GRRM’s UK editor and myself). People at Comic-Con last year reported that Bantam USA reps were also saying 2015, though they were saying mid-2015 rather than late. The ‘late 2015′ is also an inference from the Twitter exchange; I think what they said was that there was a ‘chance’ the book could come out in 2015, which sounds to me like it would be late in the year in the happened. They may have misspoken and maybe an earlier publication date is possible.

For true pessimism, though, one of GRRM’s translators who has posted on Westeros.org for more than a decade reported that the international agents had been telling them 2016. Agents tend to promise low so they can deliver high, but that’s the only other vaguely-official report we’ve had since his March 2013 comment that the book was a quarter-done.

91. ReekReek
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Personally, I could care less about his writing pace. It’s Martin’s series, not ours, and he doesn’t have to finish it. Worst case scenario, we will see the end of the story via one of the best television series ever made. Oh no! Anything but that!

92. Ser Lucas Tyrell
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

I don’t download, love. I watch it online.

93. Rygar
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Ser Lucas Tyrell,

Then take my advice and wait a week to illegally download it and all is good, boo.

94. Strider
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

I’ll take then the late 2015 speculation, Mr. Whitehead. I’ve got no heart for true pessimism at this time.

I’d rather have it on my head for self induced wishful thinking when we reach late 2015 (for a short period until hope kicks me again in the butt), than be disappointed now with some equally speculative date of 2016. Besides, it’s not like I’m going anywhere.

Rygar, don’t give me that narcissistic unworthy insult line. Besides, fave poster never posts here, so you get 1st place by default for the blog. I’m sure this will come as the greatest comfort to you!

95. Megan
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

TimeforTravel,
    I really don’t want to watch anymore if this happens (although I don’t know if I can help myself) until after all the books are out. I am way too invested in what’s going on in the books. I have a really hard time separating the two even though I love both.

96. Dragon Tender
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 3:09 am | Permalink

Well, Write like wind, George Martin!!!

Ahh, uhhh, sorry Neil Gaiman…

97. Greenjones
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 3:20 am | Permalink

Why is George going to release a new chapter if the book isn’t coming out for so long? Just to tease what will still take fucking years? If indeed it is to come out in 2016 what will the show do?

98. IronbornIronThrone
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Well, according to GRRM’s website, he has no public appearances scheduled for a whole year between August 2014 and August 2015. (source:http://www.georgerrmartin.com/appearances/) To me, that looks like he’s going to try to at least get a good chunk of it done in that period, so I am optimistic about a release by the end of 2015 at the latest.

99. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:41 am | Permalink

It appears that this was the publishers’ idea, to boost interest in their Ice and Fire app for its big update next month.

If indeed it is to come out in 2016 what will the show do?

Overtake.

100. Alphonse
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I’m sure most people would be much less frustrated if an actual release date had been announced. It’s not knowing that is the hardest part with most thing in life.

101. Recyclus
    Posted March 14, 2014 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Canis Dirus,

Or, if you don’t want to get spoilered all the time, try reading the books. They’re quite good, actually.

102. Recyclus
    Posted March 14, 2014 at 4:28 am | Permalink

Tori Targaryen,

This approach holds no water. He blasted through the first three books in two-year intervals, and everyone acclaims them as the best in the series. He gets bogged down in the next two for over a decade long, and people complain about how sluggish and overly detailed they are. I think his books would not suffer in the least if he were to hurry up.

103. no survey
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

It is truly a great and useful piece of info.
    I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us.

Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.