Valar Dohaeris
By Zack Luye on in General.

Thank you, for the outpouring of love to my friend WinterPhil as he steps away from what has been such a large part of his daily routine, his focus, and more importantly his time (we do have so little of it, although contextually more than our heroes of Ice and Fire). And thank you for the staggeringly warm welcome, it has certainly helped this day ease down easier, as Phil passes the reign. I remember the minutes following Phil’s message, updating me on his decision to dedicate time to other places in his life. Such a strange, sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach — I have greatly enjoyed the almost daily workflow/brainstorming (both fitting this in during our own demanding “work work” times) we established throughout this past year, dreading severely the idea of it all coming to an end so soon. It started with an email, then a phone call outside of my house in Nevada (since moved) where we both took turns passing compliments which way, and ultimately deciding we must rally our banners to the same cause — you. In the weeks following, we at the podcast were unsure who would replace Phil, or how the soul of this portal to our collectiveness would alter because of it.

When first approached with this concept of leading the website, it wasn’t likely the time would be there. I was hesitant, three weekly episodes of what has become such an important part of the friendship with some of my best friends does take a toll on the available amount of hours we each have to spend in any given week. Over the course of the last forty (or so) days, I’ve worked in the background, ironing out the transitory wrinkles (things like being unsullied) and learning that, in the beginning of the process, my (good) foot could not have been lodged more deep inside of my mouth. Axe, Oz, Fury, and Roar have murdered those concerns, been an incredible support structure, and will continue to be such a large part of this community. I am thrilled to serve, anything I can do to help bolster this (what will become) small piece of time in our lives in which the mystery and wonder still remain. Books are yet to be released, television seasons remain unassembled, and many flagons of wine have yet to be shared between the lot of us.

To me, stories are like magic — we can live so many different lives inside of our own. I began my journey into finding others who share these interests at the age of 9. Years (and many memories) later, a few of my best friends and I near 200 episodes in what we jokingly consider the documentary of what would be our normal regular conversations anyway, and may the future hold 900 more. And may the future bring us closer together, as we discover the mysteries of this story, and give thanks to George R.R. Martin for playing matchmaker on such a massive scale. That’s really the key to all of this, right? The interactions between all of us as we experience this story, together.

-zack

ps. for now, please enjoy this moving picture

1. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Valar Hodoris

2. Summer is Coming
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

You should adopt a GoT Name! :) Welcome the new lord of House Gatewatch! May you enjoy a peaceful transition in your current position! Valar Dohaeris!

3. dragonreborn
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

too long post but I enjoyed the gif and got the point I guess

4. James
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Okay, that GIF is puzzling me, because it suggests WinterPhil is Jaqen the 1st (super good looking dude, Arya’s friend, all-around badass) where you play the role of Jaqen the second (“aaaggghh what happend to Jaqen the 1st?!?!?”).

More seriously, welcome!

5. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Were there days, Zack, that you couldn’t get warm, no matter how hard the servants at Winterfell built your fires?

You don’t know cold.

(There, that’s my Alliser Thorne asshole introduction to you. By all means, sit, enjoy, have a flagon of the king’s wine. Ser Meryn, make sure Zack gets as much wine as he wants.)

6. Bryon Blofstein
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Zack, you will do great with the site.

If anyone has lsitened to GOO they know we WIC is in good hands.

….and welcome to being fully sullied.

7. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

So… do we call you WinterZack now? Or maybe WicZack?

(Welcome, or whatever the proper term may be.)

8. Balerion
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Welcome aboard Zack, you have big shoes to fill but I think you’ll do good. As someone else as said, I think you should take in a GoT name, and could you shed some light on Lightbringher? He is great but we still don’t know much about him, nit very chatty :P (or maybe I haven’t paid enough attention).

9. Balerion
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Damn, posted on my phone and made a lot of typos. I can’t seem to be able to edit it, oh well…

10. Lord Davos
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Welcome Zack, to House Gatewatch of Wyknett!
    I hope for a name, the lords privilege.
    Growing Strong?
    High As Honor?
    Our Blades Are Sharp?
    Best luck.

11. GG
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

OK so he needs of GoT nickname. Suggestions? I like Unbowed, Unbent, Unsullied but that’s Oz’s motto so we might need something else.

12. GG
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

How about The Watcher on the WiC?

13. Trav
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Alright, I’m throwing out two possible WIC names…

1: Second Son – since he’s the second person to now run this site

2: The Zack Of Kings Landing – …..obviously instead of the Sack Of Kings Land, which Tywin and the Lannisters perpetrated at the end of Roberts Rebellion. Hopefully this takeover will be more peaceful, haha

14. Mark
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

so who will post after the show episodes now that has read the books?

15. Lord Davos
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Tall-talker
    Horn-blower
    Breaker of Ice
    Husband to Bears
    The Mead-king of Wyknett
    Speaker to Gods
    Father of Hosts

Any of these would be cool.

16. The Rabbit
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Welcome Zack!

Wish you all the best.

17. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

I second this.

18. Atomix
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Work Good and Money Make. Errm…

Also is WIC still becoming part of that fansided thing?

19. Matt Chung
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

SELLOUT

SELLOUT

SELLOOOOOOOOOOOUT

20. Rabid Grunt
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Welcome, and good luck!

I’m sure you’ll do great.

21. Gatehouse Ami
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Cheers! Wine for fortitude! Spill the GOO now, it’s Friday…

22. greg
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

So now this is unsullied only and they are banning IP addresses of the Sullied. I heard this from an inside source.

23. hodor
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Wow you turned ugly!

24. Ser Cyrus
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Welcome Zack! Looking forward to the next chapter.

25. Johan Sporre
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Welcome Zack! Wish you all the best and hope you can continue to produce GOO content.

Watcher on the Wall?

26. the white fawn
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Now that you’re a nobleman I think an ass-branding is in order

27. House Mormont
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

That Jaqen H’ghar gif reminds me of the Michael Jackson – Black or White video… just image it playing in the background…

Anyway welcome aboard the top of the ship Zack, goodluck :)

28. finegent
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Here’s wishing you the best of luck Zack! Your opening statement is a touch disjointed as an introduction. Not hating! Just being honest. I have some concerns with your knowledge of not just the books(I understand your unsullied), but more so your show knowledge. I listen to GOO, and aside from just general errors in show canon, which is fine in a podcast,but does not bode well for editing a site devoted to detailed information about characters and places. Look, I will not judge you that harshly this earley on. You deserve a chance to succeed or fail in time. I hope you succeed, truly! You have your work cut out for you. Side not, please don’t do the Sam Tarly bit on GOO again. Please! It’s terrible! A thousand and one eyes are watching & listening and you SHOULD know what that means! Good luck. Do your homework.

29. Dragonstone
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Congrats Zack! And thanks for taking on this mighty task. You’ll do great! How about using the Mormont words? “Here We Stand” in honor of Old Bear.

30. Ser Tahu
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Welcome, Lord Zack!

So you are no longer unsullied? I’m not sure how I feel about that, as I have enjoyed the 2-2 split between sullied and unsullied on GOO.

Also, if you were to take house words as your username, may I suggest the words of House Bolton (Our Blades Are Sharp)? It makes sense, because you are taking over from Winter Is Coming, and House Bolton took over as Lord Paramount of the North from House Stark.

31. Meraxes
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Your username should deffinetly be The Usurper jk welcome Zack!

32. Meraxes
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Your username should deffinetly be The Usurper jk welcome Zack!!

33. Veltigar
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I’ll second a GoT name :D

There are a lot of good ones out there. Ser Tahu already had a great suggestion with the Bolton words, but there are some others that might be good as well. Like House Carron or House Greyjoy or House Yronwood.

It’s casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euron not casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euronsar

34. Yago
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Trav:
    Alright, I’m throwing out two possible WIC names…

1: Second Son – since he’s the second person to now run this site

2: The Zack Of Kings Landing – …..obviously instead of the Sack Of Kings Land, which Tywin and the Lannisters perpetrated at the end of Roberts Rebellion.Hopefully this takeover will be more peaceful, haha

Meraxes:
    Your username should deffinetly be The Usurper jk welcome Zack!

Haha, those are nice ones.

35. Bard
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

What about the “998th Lord Commander”?

36. Fat Balda
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

finegent,

Give it a rest, dude. Besides, he doesn’t do Sam on GOO, it’s Micah. If Zack editing this site means fewer episodes of the podcast in the timeline…. well, I won’t complain. If Zack editing this site means fewer episodes of GOO hosted by Zack…. well, I won’t listen. But congrats, dude! I hope you’ll continue to be a stalwart GOO host. Your voice, as well as your perspective are the reason I listen.

37. Zack
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Dammit. Get an official username fast :(

Oh, also welcome. I look forward to seeing where you’ll take this place in the future. I’m sure the site’s best days are ahead of it.

Always support the bottom!

38. Alvis
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Welcome my lord and good luck!

39. THOROS of BEER
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

If you are looking for another scribe please let me know.

40. Arik
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Just be honest with us.. You took the job just to get your hands on those 4 episodes of season 4 before everyone else.. ..

Just kidding ;)
    Good luck Zack! as a long time listener of GOO I know you’ll do a great job.

41. KG
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Ok let’s see how long it takes for you to dislike me as much as WiC does :D … Just by being my lovable self!

42. OldeCrone
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:29 am | Permalink

I hope you have a broad back metaphorically speaking. Some aspects of what you are taking on will be a thankless task. [Hope that didn't sound too negative - I think there are more fair-minded people who visit the site than not to be fair]. Some people seem to suffer from “trollitis” but I bet if they were asked to run the site they’d head for the hills. I wish you the best of luck, particularly as you are doing it round the “day job”.

43. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:39 am | Permalink

KG,

What does KG stand for? King’s Guard? Knee Gums??

Off topic: so much shit to watch, so little time… Hannibal has begun again, there’s a full season of House of Cards to watch, Vikings has started (though to be honest that’s not a priority for me) and, of course, there’s the GoT rewatch, True Detective and even The Walking Dead (which again, isn’t prority). My head is ready to explode at any given moment.

44. John
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:27 am | Permalink

The king is dead, love ling the king!

Welcome Zack!
    I hope there won’t be too many changes to this side, on the other hand: new input is always welcome.

45. Lollius Palicanus
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:12 am | Permalink

Congratulations, Zack! I hope you can remain unsullied, please let us know more about this.

46. Vic Sage
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:17 am | Permalink

Hail Lord Zack,1st of his name lord of the 1st WICer’s! And defender of the realm.Good luck.

47. KG
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:25 am | Permalink

They’re just my initials :)
    I came in before the “requisite GoT-related username” trend.

Hand of the Kingslayer:
    KG,

What does KG stand for? King’s Guard? Knee Gums??

48. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:45 am | Permalink

KG,

Henceforth, you shall be known as Knee Gums.

49. greg
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

That’s offensive to people with knee gum syndrome

50. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

You need an illness, I was ill at the beginning of the week and I ended up watching GoT season 3 all in a day, I suggest losing your immune system

51. Hollyoak
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Zack, get ready for wanna-be frustrated writers to start critiquing your every word.

Don’t let ‘em get to you.

You’ll do a great job.

52. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 9:31 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

This would definitely be a good time for that.

greg,

Sorry, man. There are very few words that begin with K. It had to be Knee Gums, it had to be.

53. finegent
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:03 am | Permalink

One post requires a”give it a rest”? I’m entitled to my opinion! I didn’t roast the guy if you noticed! Wished him luck as well! While he didn’t do the Sam bit, he did play along with a terrible bit that went on and on! Critisim is constructive without being condemning! Get a clue!
    Fat Balda,

54. finegent
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Not sure why the name banner came up after my comment but typing on this kindle is like scribing on parchment on a rock in the dark! My ink well have runneth over!
    finegent,

55. Lundy
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

“we can live so many different lives inside of our own”
    I quite like this quote Zack. Hope you don’t mind if I use it elsewhere on the interwebs. :)

56. Lane
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Bard,

I like it, things go well for that guy…

57. WildSeed
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Best of luck, Zack. I’ll buy the next flagon of Arbor Gold. *>*

58. dizzy
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

KG,

Awww the unlocking of KG. :)
    Good luck Zack!

59. KG
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Darn, I was hoping for cagey lol But hey, knee gums will work.

Hand of the Kingslayer:
    KG,

Henceforth, you shall be known as Knee Gums.

60. loco73
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Congratulations to you! All the best and good luck! I shall follow with interest how you will sheppard and guide this site in the next few years!

I’ll tell you what I told Winter/Phil:

The North Remembers!

61. Andromeda
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Best of luck!

Don’t let the haters get you down. One thing I’ve noticed, being fairly new to ASOIAF/GOT, is that there are quite a few know-it-alls in this fandom (but there are a lot of really great people too!). I’m talking about the people who are out to prove that they’re better fans than you because they read the first book when it was published/have every family tree memorized/etc. They’ll always be lining up to tell you what little detail you missed in the most insulting way possible, or imply that you’re a complete idiot because you didn’t interpret something the same way that they did. Just ignore them, focus on the folks that realize it’s not a contest, and have fun. I know you’ll do a great job.

62. zaprowsdower
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Welcome Zack!

63. accomodation
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 5:45 am | Permalink

I enjoy looking through a post that will make people think.
    Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!