Emilia Clarke, Sophie Turner featured in Glamour Paris, UK
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Emilia Clarke has landed the cover of another fashion magazine this month, gracing the pages of the April 2014 issue of Glamour Paris. The issue features a new fashion spread, with Emilia looking lovely as usual, as well as a new interview. Although the interview is in French we’ve done our best to translate some of the Thrones related questions. Emilia chats filming, having to wait to watch Game of Thrones like the rest of us, binge watching shows, leading the way for complex female heroines, and more.

On filming:
The entire season begins filming in June until December, touring Morocco, Iceland, Croatia and Ireland. When we start we get the whole story so we know who’s going to go where. [Laughs]. In general, I arrive on the set at 3am. A hard day’s filming on average is 12 to 18 hours because there is a lot of preparation in my case.

On whether or not the cast gets to watch Thrones before its release:
No, nobody receives the DVD before the broadcast. I will watch Season 4, on TV like you. I’ll just hide behind the sofa when I appear on screen.

On binge watching series like the rest of us:
If I’m obsessed, I can easily spend three days secluded at home to watch it. But I try to put limits on myself to truly appreciate them.

On understanding the Game of Thrones obsession:
But it’s great, it’s like watching a ten hour movie. You live with the characters and you have the time to understand their history and journey. There is room for the heroes grow and flourish. You can detest a character for three episodes and love them later … as in life.

On being one of the first of many complex female heroines on television:
Finally, the producers realize how exciting it is to have a central female character in a series. It there’s so much to write and say about women, it is a vast territory to explore. This is an interesting time and I am very lucky to be part of this generation. Our role, through these characters, is to convey a message to all those girls who today are under enormous pressure: stay yourself. And you, the viewer, you can watch all these series that tell you yes, everything is possible.

On being close with the cast:
We’re a very close family, particularly the band kids: Richard Madden, Kit Harington, Rose Leslie, Alfie Allen and I. This is our first big role for all of us. Rose is my best friend, I see Kit all the time, Harry Lloyd is a close friend, Jason Momoa, it’s like my family when I come to LA.

Sophie Turner is also featured in Glamour Magazine inside the pages of the April 2014 UK edition. Sophie shows some shine and mixes prints while offering a quick quote on her Thrones character Sansa: “People come up and they don’t like me, but they just mean my character. I suppose it’s a compliment, that people are so convinced by the character – but it’s a bit strange.” Sophie also discusses adopting her direwolf and mixing things up as a teen assassin in her new project Barely Lethal.

1. gisizzlah
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:13 am | Permalink

HODOR!!

2. Grijnwaald
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

*-*

3. Hotpie
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Two of the worst actresses on the show.
    Just saying!

4. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Good for them! Band kids? :)) Emilia and Rose being bff’s is the news here.

5. Red_Snapper
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Hotpie,

I’ll give you Emilia but Sophie? A bad actress? Come. On.

6. Clemence
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:38 am | Permalink

@Lightbringer

If you still have any hesitations about the translation of Emilia’s interview, I would be glad to offer my help ;)

(I am French so that wouldn’t be a problem for me ^^)

7. William Gill
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

I dont get the love for Sophie Turner as an actress. She isnt terrible, but is not good either. I know people say that it suits the character, but she really does seem like she is reading from a script. I absolutely hate when she says ‘hes a monster’ refering to Joffrey in Season 3. The delivery is terrible. Maisie Williams and Isaac H.Wright are much better actors in my opinion

And her saying that people disliking her character is a compliment doesnt make sense. Sansa isnt meant to be unlikable at all

8. Mula
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Hotpie,

Emilia is horrible, agreed, but I feel Sophie has been getting better and better.

9. Gabriel
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Hotpie,

okay, but it doesn’t mean they’re bad actresses right? if it does, you really need to review your concepts dude

10. Kal Lean
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

It annoys me that Emilia Clarke is used as the poster girl for the series. I hate the fact that everything has to be about her and her dragons and that she has to have a lot of screen time.

Characters (and actors) such as Arya (Maisie Williams) and Jon (Kit Harrington) should get more promotion from the producers/marketers

11. Hanna
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:47 am | Permalink

I think Sophie is an amazing actress

12. Robert
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Kal Lean,

Kit Harigton needs to improve his acting before get promoted from HBO, really.

13. Laszlo
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:49 am | Permalink

William Gill,

She’s really good at showing deep emotions, or how should I put it, at looking sad, traumatized, scared, shit like that. And I don’t think she has bad line delivery, or at least definitely not in that scene you mentioned. Maybe at some points in season 3, where the lines themselves were shit. Maisie and Isaac have their fair share of it too, like that “my god is death” line in season 3.

14. Mula
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:50 am | Permalink

William Gill,

People’s dislike for Sansa is mainly because of the show’s writers (not GRRM, mind you) positing her against the character everyone adores; Arya. I for one love Sansa but I do think she comes across a lot better in the books than she does on the show. That is all on the (highly misogynistic) writers however and certainly not due to Sophie Turner. Like Michelle Fairley did, she is just working with whatever those two guys think of in terms of the script.

15. Auren
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

William Gill,

Nevertheless, Sansa gets more hate than characters like Littlefinger. I don’t get it… I suppose some people simply don’t understand her character, and are these people that she referred.

16. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Why do i feel the comments has been invaded by jealous teenagers and the typical misogynists?

i guess you all are expert actors, you all talk like that.
    Rygar was right, i miss Phil.

17. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Kal Lean,

I’m sorry to tell you, but because of the dragons an important portion of the audience watch the show. Some of my Unsullied friends watch part because of her, and one of them only because of her. She, Daenerys, is quite an unique character in literature, due to the combination of how she looks, her journey and the dragons. Daenerys is a standout character alongside Tyrion, and maybe Jon Snow.

Emilia is not a bad actress. She isn’t God’s gift in acting, or Meryl Streep, but she isn’t bad either. You all seem to forget Season 1. She was very good there. Thank God for that, since who knows where we would have been today if she wasn’t compelling in her storyline, which was the best she had.

Dany in S2 sucked. Her story sucked and so was the performance. Her added time on the show hurt her more as a character and storyline. Less is better sometimes.

But in S3 she rebounded. So I can’t see why you say she is bad. I find her good enough for the part, not in the best actors list the show has, but again, good enough, there, in the middle of the list.

18. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Clarke is good, it’s just that she has to play Dany, poor thing. Her grasp of Valyrian is very good, as is her ‘struggled’ grasp of Dothraki. She commands presence on screen, and only a poor script in season 2 let her down, but that goes without saying now.

An example of a bad actor would be Harrington. I’m dreading anything Jon related in season 4, and given the content it will cover, I should be incredibly excited.

All the stark kids are great and the one who plays Sansa is my favourite. Don’t hate, tolerate.

19. Kal Lean
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Robert,

And Emilia doesnt?

20. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Mula,

The hate for Sansa was stronger in the books.
    Your argument are invalid.

You seem dimvitted, Martin has been accused of misogyny more than D&D. I know people who refuses to read the books because of how he treats Sansa.

21. William Gill
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Laszlo,

I love Sansa as a character (especially in the books) and im not hating on Sophie Turner, but i just dont get when people say she is one of the best actors in the show.

Sophie is ‘good’ as crying and looking miserable, but that is about it. She is cringeworthy when she tries to act happy (the scene with Natalie Dormer when they are talking about porridge plague or something comes to mind)

The other youngers actors have shown great range (mainly Maisie who has been tough and strong, but also scared and vulnerable). That could be down to the writers just making Sansa weak

22. House de Laguna
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I would do anything to go on a date with Emilia lol

23. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

William Gill,

She isnt happy for most of season 3 at all.
    Sansa is a lady, you seem to forget.
    Sansa acts happy.

24. Laszlo
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Lord Davos,

Maybe, but she’s also got quite a lot of people who love her in the books, which can’t really be said about the show. And I don’t think GRRM treats her badly at all, I mean, she gets hurt, just like everyone else, but in terms of writing she’s obviously important and the focus of her own storylines. While in the show, season 3 made her into some recurring joke about how ditzy she is, and as a foil to show how cool Margaery and Tyrion are.

25. Adrian
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Oh dear. I was trying to read Winter Is Coming comments and yet I seem to have stumbled into a Social Justice tumblr.

26. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Laszlo,

There are two kinds of people in Kings Landing.
    We all know which kind Sansa is, and just because we symphatise with other people in the show it doesnt make her less important in person, cause the only thing valuable to the people around her is her name, in books and the show.
    I dont think Grrm was so set up to hide Sansa being a puppet, but i dont see why the show diminshes Sansa because we see how mistreated she are by these other people.
    Are you going to accuse the show for diminshing the nights watch by showing what the wildlings are up to?

27. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Adrian,

That tumblr rolls around every time Em is on cover.
    Seems like tons of lurkers.

28. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

29. Hotpie
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

William Gill,

Agreed.
    And people who blame the writers or even accuse them for misogynists are really ridiculous. When people criticize her acting it means her acting, not any other things.

30. Duval
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Socks and sandals isn’t an acceptable thing… They shouldn’t even joke about that :(

31. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Hotpie,

You havent critized her one bit. You only bitch.
    She is also on the way to become one of the two most nominated actresses on the show.
    Emilia is the other one.
    Yeah, tell me im a fanboy. Do it already.

32. Laszlo
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink

William Gill,

I think she can be pretty good at other stuff, too. She was pretty consistent in season 2, and she had scenes where she’s snarky, happy, and others. She did have quite a few bad scenes in season 3, but I don’t think that’s enough yet to diminish what came before.

33. Jack
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

People can complain about these two all they want, but the fact is Sophie and Emilia are the two young actresses on the show featured the most in magazine press/photo shoots and seem to be getting lots of roles outside the show. They are actually getting cast and getting work unlike other actors who are supposedly “better.” Those are facts. So obviously people who actually matter in Hollywood seem to think they are both great.

And Sophie’s Glamour spread is actually a full 10 pages.

34. MRR
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

When people criticize her acting it means her acting, not any other things.

You’re judging the final performance while ignoring the contribution that the writers, directors, and editors have on the performance, which in many cases is huge. Unless you are either a) a professionally trained actor, director, or editor, or b) someone who was physically there on set and/or present throughout the creative process behind the show and has first-hand knowledge of what happened, you are in no position to make such unilateral critiques and expect them to be taken seriously.

The most important thing, though, is that your hollow negativity brings nothing useful to this website. This would be a better community if you would never post here ever again.
    Just saying!

35. Jack
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

William Gill,

All the Stark actors are great and they all play different types. I don’t think one is better than the other because they all have different strengths based in the characters they play.

Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Emilia is awesome. Whoever said she’s a bad actress (and that Sophie is better) is just so wrong. Emilia is a much, much stronger actress than Sophie. It’s not even a contest, IMO.

37. James Williams
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Laszlo,

Sansa doesn’t get much love from book readers until her story arc that begins this season…so opinion of her is pretty much right where it should be at this point

38. James Williams
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

don’t worry this entire talkback has been the same 4 people whining back and forth…it looks bad because they are the only ones commenting

39. Veltigar
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    What’s with the comment section today?Is Saturn in conjunction with the Assholis Major constellation or something?

Lol, best comment XD

To throw in my two cents. Both Emilia and Sophie are very good actresses. Emilia deserved the emmy nod this season. Her Dany in season 1 and 3 is marvellous.

It’s a fact that she sucked in season 2 but that’s all on the writers head. As the great Charles Dance always says in his interviews “You can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear”. The writing for Dany in season 2 was an abomination and there is no actor on this show who could have made those shit lines work.

I think a lot of her detractors are just people who have a hard time separating their (completely unfounded) hatred for Daenerys in the books from the actress.

There is no cure for not casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

40. James
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Good god people. The most important thing here is…are socks and sandals really a thing now???????????????

41. The Loon
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

James,

they better not be

Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Definitely not, where I’m from. Major fashion crime.

James:

43. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I’m rewatching season 1 at the moment and I don’t get the Emilia hate. She plays Daenerys just fine. I’m not sure what else you would look for in the character. As another poster mentioned, perhaps it has more to do with people’s dislike of the character, especially after ADWD. Dany is not one of my favorite characters in the books or show, however, I have enjoyed Emilia’s Dany more than book Dany, barring season 2.

As for Sophie/Sansa, I think she is okay. I never knew there were so many Sansa fans, or perhaps it is just a very vocal minority. I could see appreciating the character for being perhaps the most realistic, but other than that I see very little appeal, at least so far. AFFC was a step in the right direction for her.

44. GeekFurious
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Hotpie:
    Two of the worst actresses on the show.
    Just saying!

As in everyone is so good that two very capable actors are “the worst”.

45. Talisa's ghost
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Two beautiful, talented actresses are featured in an important magazine and only a couple of people are trashing them in the comment section? Guys, I don’t think you’re trying hard enough. This should have been a war zone already. Oh well, I guess I made popcorn for nothing. *sigh*

46. Balerion
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Okay people calm down.
    Now, did anyone else notice the following: ” The entire season begins filming in June until
    December, touring >Morocco<, Iceland…"
    So will Dany still have some scenes shot in Morocco this year? I hope so, maybe a last shot of Yunkai before we move on to… (I'm on my phone so I don't know how to put spoiler tags). Yunkai was beautiful, I would like to see it again.

PS: Both Sophie and Emilia are great, case closed!

47. Anonymous Bastard
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I hope neither of the outfits sophie is wearing never make it to the streets, they have actually managed to make her look bad.

48. Paul
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

From the first cross to her as the bullied little sister, through her transition, I have only admired her acting. But according to a few HBO must have decided to audition some no names with the agenda to find one who couldn’t act for shit, cast her and watch to see if she could bugger up their huge budget series they were launching.

49. Onion Knight
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Emilia tends to overact but she has some good scenes, too. I think Sophie is a perfect Sansa. People saying she is more sympathetic in the books are wrong IMO. She is 90% the same character and in the show at least they don’t make her responsible for Cersei finding out about Ned’s plans.

50. Tirinesh
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Both beautiful actresses! Sophie probably has the most editorial presence from any of the GOT cast. A lot of Sansa’s story is expressed through her inner turmoil, Sophie captures this beautifully. I do agree with those that say she is often sidestepped in favour of Tyrion or Margaery.

51. Jim Cross
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

52. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Onion Knight,

Is her character.
    Taint of the Targaryens.

53. Julie
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Sophie Turner is a good actress !

54. King Tommen
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

“I am so angry that the show chooses to emphasize characters like Dany, Tyrion, Jon and Arya. It’s so unfair to the other characters.”

*checks to see who are the fan favourite characters in the books*

*After completing that task, moves on to double-checking that Sansa was a character who was universally loved and adored in the books by most fans and that no one had any issues with until the TV show came along*

*Hangs “Mission Accomplished” banner over bed and snuggles up to life size portrait of GRRM*

55. sphinx is the riddle
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

MRR,

I second that.
    just saying

56. Josh
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I find it weird that they call Dany one of the first complex female characters on television….There is denying that she is, but she is in no way the first. Off the top of my head
    1) Buffy Summers and the female cast of Buffy
    2) Veronica Mars
    3) Sydney Bristow(Alias)
    4) Irina Derevko (Alias)
    5) Female characters of Lost
    6) Female characters of Damages
    7) Carmela Soprano
    8) Atia(Rome)
    9) Servilla Rome)
    10) The women of the Good Wife
    11) The Women of Mad Men
    12) The Women of Sons of Anarchy
    13) The Women of Battlestar Galactica(So much complexity here!)
    14) The Gilmore Girls

And those are just ones from the modern day. I love Dany and I love the great writing for females on this show, but let’s not call Dany “one of the first”, the last decade has had PLENTY of complex female characters

57. King of the Ashes
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

wow, as someone who’s in the film industry, i work with too many actors, on screen and also theater. Emilia is not a bad actress by any means… what is the hate about, is it ridiculous fan boy demands? because from the direction she is given she’s spot on.

58. Josh
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos:
    Hotpie,

You havent critized her one bit. You only bitch.
    Emilia is the other one.
    Yeah, tell me im a fanboy. Do it already.

Lord Davos:
    Hotpie,

You havent critized her one bit. You only bitch.
    Emilia is the other one.
    Yeah, tell me im a fanboy. Do it already.

I love Emilia, and think she’s fantastic but I honestly don’t think she deserved to be nominated in season 3. She had one big(TERRIFIC) moment but it felt more like a “We want to award someone from the show, lets do the one we’ve done already”…I think both Lena and Michelle had better seasons…ESPECIALLY Michelle. She WAS the Red Wedding. It was almost like a PoV chapter. All the emotions that poured out of that scene was directly from her and I was shocked when Emilia got the nom and not Michelle. And I’m saying this as a BIG fan of Emilia.

59. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Josh,

Michelle was kind of the big emotional core of the show.
    I think she is a great actress, she definitely plays the strongest character,
    but Dany has her aura of what i would call grrm writing.
    She is a very unique character, very so for a fantasy series and i think that matters a lot.

60. Tom
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Hotpie, I think that’s a bit of an overstatement, granted they aren’t the best actresses in the world but at the best of times they can deliver, don’t forget this is both of there first ever gigs straight out of drama school, and for that level of acting, i think they’re fantastic and entertain me none the less.

61. Darkstar
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Josh:

I read that as Emilia saying that, so either her head is starting to swell, or she just hasn’t watched much television

62. Rene
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Kit Harington recently did a fashionshoot too, it was for Vogue. Dutch supermodel Lara Stone posted one of the pics on her instagram: http://Instagram.com/p/lAJv5nK7pu/

63. Josh
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Darkstar: e. This is an interesting time and I am very lucky to be part of this generation. O

Well Emilia said this: “This is an interesting time and I am very lucky to be part of this generation.

So I definitely don’t think its her saying this. She also constantly refers to “us” and the “characters”, so I don’t think its her talking about Dany exclusively. I think she’s proud(and should be) of the show’s handling of all major female characters.

64. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Jim Cross: Socks and sandals have unfortunately always been a thing here in the US Pacific Northwest. It really is sad. It is such a bad idea.

That’s pretty funny, because unfortunately it’s so true. But even the advertisers make a joke of it…. “Socks and sandals guy, you’re one of is!”

I’m not typically one to comment on fashion, but who in seven hells suggested the Birkenstocks and wool socks?!!!

65. Sansa's Knight
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

OYE BACK OFF FROM LADY SANSA….. TO ME SHES THE MOST REAL CHARACTER ON THE SHOW AND 1 THAT I AM IN LOVE WITH AND SOPHIE DOES A GREAT JOB AT BRINGING SANSA TO LIFE

66. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Sandals and socks are an abomination and should be burned by Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion.

Why are crop tops back in? They are hideous. Most women can’t wear them because if there’s even an ounce of belly fat it looks awful. They even look awful on some without belly fat if there is insufficient waist definition. Even if you are one of the few who can pull it off, it doesn’t create the most flattering line because it cuts off the torso in the middle. You want to create long, lean lines.

Trashing bad fashion is something I can get behind. Lets keep doing that.

67. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Ya know, fashion ain’t really my gig, but ill take trashing that over trashing young actors any day!

68. Greenjones
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Did anyone post this here yet? It’s from a few days ago, I think.

69. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Just to add in as someone who rewatched all of season 3 in a day a few days ago:

Sophie Turner is a ridiculously good actress, and she hits me right in the feels in 3×02 and 3×03, 3×06 was good too but she got no dialogue in her crying scene *fuck u producers*

Emilia, Emilia, oh Emilia. Even when s3 was just Dany being awesome, which she did soooooooo well in Astapor and when meeting with Grazdan mo Eraz, she also had good chemistry with Daario in 3×09 and you only need to watch the first season to see how well she can do sorrow. Yes in season 2 she overacted Jennifer Lawrence style, but when the script is “WHEEEREE ARE MY DRAGONNS??” what else can you do really

The only jarring performances in season 3 for me were natalia tena’s monologue, sibel kekilli occasionally, and Aiden Gillen. I’m watching him in The Wire rn and there’s such a huge difference, how can he do a perfect American accent but not a neutral English accent… and that batman growl… and his annunciation…

Josh,

Carmela Soprano? All she did for six seasons was go between “I love my husband I am faithful to my husband I knew what I was getting in to” and “I am entitled to love and financial independence and happy children”. It’s just the same story, over and over, same with Meadow.

70. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Sansa’s Knight,

Real character, yeah thats something that doesnt get enough credit.

71. Greenjones
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

I agree with you in your defence of Sophie and Emilia but Aidan Gillen’s Wire accent was not perfect. I’m willing to defend him in GoT but he said “haitch” instead of “aitch” in the Wire and he’s supposed to be an Italian-American.

72. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Reminder that any personal attacks on commenters are going to be deleted, folks. Please keep that in mind and keep the chat civil. Thanks!

73. Yago
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

It’s that time of the year again.

74. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Its interesting that you listed three characters from outside the normal high class.
    Maybe thats why it was jarring.
    I like Aidan Gillen, he has that Vale accent.
    Hope his story in season 4 will be told with great care, like it should.

75. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

well I’ve only watched three episodes with him in but Italian American? Hmm I wasn’t getting that from his accent, but then again none of the polish people had polish accents so I’ll suspend my disbelief.

His english really is awful, not in the “you can hear my accent through this” way but in the “oh my god what are those sounds you’re making that’s not right” kind way

Lord Davos,

What do you mean normal high class? If you mean like not main characters then yeah I have 0 problem with any of their acting, it’s all great.

76. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

I mean, they are not born westerosi nobles.
    Maybe they are instructed so, if then i applaud.

77. Ringo
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Emilia is so stunning I love her. Also they both look gorgeous on the cover.

78. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Hotpie,

If they are the worst actresses in the show, they are still damned good actresses by normal TV standards. I have no problem with Emilia or Sophie’s portrayal of their characters- during their low points, they were both victims of the writing and not the acting.

79. davyJones
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Both are great, never had any problems with any of their performances…

Whats up with everyone’s cynicism?

80. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

davyJones:
    Both are great, never had any problems with any of their performances…

Whats up with everyone’s cynicism?

If the character is even slightly different from the book, it’s automatically terrible acting. Didn’t you know that?

81. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

hmm on the contrary, Varys is portrayed smoothly and perfectly, and is outwardly a foreigner, while Littlefinger hides being a foreigner and pretends to be Westerosi, but still comes out weird and jarring
    and natalia tena’s kind of primal woman-ape Osha made a lot more sense till all the other wildings turned out to be normal acting humans, just covered in fur and bones

works for Shae though, put that together with Jaqen and Syrio and it gives a good stereotype for the people of the free cities for the viewer to associate

82. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Cool. This deserves a post, Lightbringer!

83. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Wildling culture is pretty much many different.
    They are almost a mini westeros, at least its supposed to be. Look at Styr, vastly different from Ygritte and Tormund.
    Varys is master mummer, it would be a fail if the actor couldnt play a very varied roled.
    Aiden Gillen is pretty much how i imagined Littlefinger, he captures the role very well since he is vague in the book. Maybe the voice is there after he was in that Batman movie. Tom Hardys Bane had a very strange voice, but he came out with a very special performance, just under Heath Ledger.
    Littlefinger is a special character, Grrm clearly was inspired by the Great Gatsby.
    But littlefinger is the most changed character in the show.
    I dont know, its just something i make up. But whats for sure, D&D have some plans for littlefinger.

84. Greenjones
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Well he was called Carcetti, so I think he was supposed to be of Italian descent. He wasn’t supposed to have an Italian accent but whatever sort of American accent he was attempting it was pretty iffy. Of course my first experience of Aidan Gillen was as the villain Lord Rathbone in Shanghai Knights with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. So I already knew when I watched the Wire that he was not American.

85. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Kal Lean,

Are you serious? Does Dany not get a lot of screentime in the books? Yes she does. Season 3 HAD to be an impactful season for her. Season 3 was and will always be Dany’s season (and the RW season, obviously, and the Jamie season). That’s what the story demands and that’s what the writers do.

I don’t think Dany is getting more screentime or promos than any other characters THIS season, on that point you seem to be twisting reality around your statement. Jon and the Wall have already had tons of coverage, Arya has a smaller season this time, Bran has a small season (and a spoilery one), Sansa has a mostly-spoilery season which you can’t show on screen, the Theon/Ramsay/Yara thing is purposely being held back because those events will surprise everyone (not just non-readers), Jamie has been shown plenty, Tyrion has been shown more (even though it’s a spoiler), King’s Landing in general has been promoted a ton. Stannis is in 4-5 episodes, half of which are spoilery.

What do you want? For them to not show Dany and the dragons at all? Of course they’ll show them, and no less than Jon or Tyrion, because they’re dragons and because Dany is a fan favorite (among non-readers, at least). But to say that they are showing her off more than other characters is a bit of a stretch. Really.

86. Viperus
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

As a spectator and reader of the 5 books, I take an immense pleasure at watching Emilia play. Come on, she was so good in that scene with the Junkai leader, the side-smiles were perfect in that situation. And in the scene with Dracarys and ‘Valyrian is my mother tongue’, she was awesome! She certainly has a talent for pronouncing all those invented language-forms.
    Sansa is ok for my taste, it could be far worse.

87. Viperus
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

And, in terms of screenplay, she wasn’t that covered in the third season, apart from the massive scenes with the Unsullied and the dragons. I would have loved to see her in her leisure time, caressing and talking to her dragons, kissing Jorah etc., all that was covered in season 2. I hope they will correct that in S4, but now that she’s Queen..

88. OldeCrone
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger: What’s with the comment section today? Is Saturn in conjunction with the Assholis Major constellation or something?

I know I’m not the first person to quote your comment but I think you have hit the nail on the head.

On a different point the two outfits Sophie is shown wearing aren’t very glamorous and do nothing for her although I think she is an attractive lass. I’ve heard of people wearing socks and sandles in hot dusty climates to stop their feet getting dusty and uncomfortable.

89. Sean C.
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

King Tommen:

The fact that Sansa already attracted frequently sexist vitriol in the books hardly excuses the showrunners’ handling of her story, which has reduced her from protagonist to object, and been far more interested in making her the butt of jokes than in showing the audience how strong she has to be to survive all alone where she is. The fact that the whole Tyrell engagement story was turned into basically a comedy is a travesty.

90. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

yeah you’re right about the wildings, I loved how the Thenns in the books were more civilised and disciplined than some of the Northerners like the mountain clans and maybe the skagosi.

and yeah I think he’ll be better this season. There was one line for last line that summarises why I find him uncomfortable, he says “I can’t tell you how glad I am to hear that, Sansa” and he has a weird staggered annunciation like a Nicki Minaj lyric, and his face is a frozen half smile the whole time.

Viperus: . I would have loved to see her in her leisure time, caressing and talking to her dragons, kissing Jorah etc., all that was covered in season 2. I hope they will correct that in S4,

hell ye I hope so, we might get atleast a naming scene, and or kissing with Missandei

91. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

Everyone is their own protagonist.
    She is a object, that is why she is in the position she is now.
    And how many chapters does she have before the purple wedding in SoS?
    Three, one revolving around the Tyrells, another about her wedding gown and the third in the wedding. I think Sansa has been reprsented better this season than the last, where she lost a lot of storyline. Time to accept other viewpoints in Kings Landing.

92. Laszlo
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

Hell no, her season 2 storyline was pretty good, they kept the Ser Dontos saving, the Hound relationship, the Blackwater POV. They kept that all this shit is about her, while in season 3, she just serves to highlight other characters. I don’t mean in-universe, like how you seem to think, but from the perspective of the story, all her scenes are either jokes or supposed to show how cool Margaery or Tyrion are. The difference is that for example in the books her feelings were the main focus of the wedding, in the show it’s how Tyrion saves the day.

93. Sean C.
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos:
    Everyone is their own protagonist.
    She is a object, that is why she is in the position she is now.

No, not everyone is a protagonist. Sansa is a protagonist in the book, and it’s important that her story be told from her perspective, because it’s largely the story of her trying to survive and figure out what to do amidst all the powerful forces she has to deal with. In the show, Sansa is an object, because the show does not bother to orient her storyline around her. Instead, it frames it as the story of Varys, the Tyrells, etc., at which point Sansa becomes only an object for them to act on.

Take the Tyrell proposal, for instance. In the books, the Tyrells make a marriage offer. We see if through her POV, and wonder…what are they up to? Can they be trusted? Sansa is the protagonist here, and the audience’s portal into the story. Whereas in the show, we get scenes with Varys and the Queen of Thorns that spell out exactly what is going on. And then we see the Tyrells tell Sansa. Sansa is not the protagonist, nor the audience identification figure, as the audience has been given much more information than she has, and she is reduced to an object Margaery is acting on. It would have been easy for the show to preserve the original structure and mystery here, but they chose not to, and Sansa’s character was sacrificed in the process.

I think Sansa has been reprsented better this season than the last

The writers cut stuff last season, but her POV was at least still there, and she wasn’t subject to numerous scenes dedicated to making her look dumb. The show gutted some of her best material last season to order to keep Tyrion looking squeaky clean. The wedding chapter would have been dynamite material for Sophie Turner to play, but instead she’s just notified offscreen episodes beforehand and then at the actual wedding just stands around, while the story focus shifts entirely to Tyrion.

94. Monica
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

I thought the Sansa hate came from the novels. She betrayed her family by going to the queen with her father’s escape plans. She didn’t want to leave King’s Landing.So, many people think that she deserved what happened to her, afterwards. Then again, her father killed her direwolf! Bad sign.

Emilia’s performance arc in Season 1 helped make the series! Zero to hero isn’t easily done…

95. Annara Snow
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

“Passive, prissy Sansa”. Yes, she’s so despicable for being “passive” while being held as a hostage. Great, another genius article writer who blames the victim and thinks Sansa should have taken up a sword and fought her way through the King’s Landing and the Riverlands all on her own, preferably while making witty jokes.

Lord Davos:
    Mula,

The hate for Sansa was stronger in the books.
    Your argument are invalid.

What? That’s ridiculous. Sansa’s chapters in the books are wonderfully written, and she has been sympathetic and interesting since her last chapter in book 1, at least (I found her interesting and likable in her second chapter in AGOT, too – that scene with the Hound was amazing) and she has had a great character development. Sophie has been great, but the show writing for Sansa has been very hit and miss. They robbed her of some of her best moments; in season 2, she was written pretty well, but in season 3 it was awful.

96. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

You know Sansa was still an object in all that in the book, the Tyrells still wanted her (claim) and the Lannisters still found out somehow and surprise married her… her freedom was still being controlled and manipulated. The only difference is now we get to see what Margaery, Olenna, Littlefinger, Varys and Tywin are doing and that’s a good thing.

What happened after her marriage arrangement with Tyrion was when they shit on Sansa. The scene with Margaery where it’s like
    Sansa: “I don’t care that he’s a Lannister he’s not the worst Lannister but he’s a dwarf and I don’t want to have sex with him because I’m still vain even after Joffrey”
    Margaery: “No Tyrions the main character you have to like him he’s really hot and he’s funny and you’ll like him”

And then before the marriage when Tyrion is does the “awkward charming british guy in a rom com” thing and Sansa smiles. Urgh. It was awful. But they portrayed her right in the first four/five episodes

97. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Question for you guys, where do you think Sansa’s season 5 arc will end?

We all know she only has 3 chapters in the last two books, and there’s not much material for an entire season, especially if we’re meeting the Lords Declarant this season. There’s Littlefinger turning Nestor Royce, the meeting with the Lords Declarant and Lyn Corbray, her looking after Sweetrobin while he’s being poisoned by medicine, and Littlefinger proposing to give her Winterfell and the Vale.

It probably has to go beyond there, but how far?

98. Doug
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

What’s amazing to me is in a show that is amazing with casting decisions they made two of the worst decisions with two of the most important in the entire story in Jon and Dany.

I mean, I’m not bashing Harington or Clarke, because I don’t think either are as bad as some of you, and some of it is the writing, but there is no doubt of the main characters they are the weakest of the bunch. Which truly is an astonishing thing given how great they are on casting decision making yet bombed with two of the main POVs.

99. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Nice picture they made :)) I like Pedro more after this interview.

100. Laszlo
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

It ain’t about what happens to her or what she does, it’s about how it’s portrayed. In the books, it was all part of her character arc, it was important that we saw her reactions as a human, she wasn’t portrayed as the object of all those happening.

101. Sean C.
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:

No, it’s not a good thing, because, as I said, it reduces Sansa from protagonist to object.

There’s a difference between other characters treating Sansa as an object (which happens in both the book and the show) and the narrative itself treating her as an object. George R. R. Martin never treats Sansa like an object; she is the protagonist. The showrunners absolutely do. They frame the story entirely from the perspective of the people acting on her, and her own reactions are basically unimportant to them; hence, them being repeatedly skipped over.

House Mormont:
    Question for you guys, where do you think Sansa’s season 5 arc will end?

It probably has to go beyond there, but how far?

I don’t think it will go any further than that. Season 5 is going to be a tight squeeze, narratively. They’ll probably try to get six episodes out of Sansa’s three chapters (it seems to be the minimum for a story, based on the Bran and Dragonstone plots this year), which I think is doable.

102. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Thats just Margaery being typical Margaery really.

Annara Snow,

I really agree with you, but some of those people that did like show Sansa,
    they hated how she was in the head.
    There was once this guy who called out on the “phedophilia” between Sansa and Sandor, and he wrote that as just the top of the iceberg.
    I dont know whats wrong with the books really, they may not conceal things, but honest writing is a crime now?

To all of you others, Sansa storyline was the smallest in season 3 and i think they gave her more scenes than in the book. Just my opinion, i havent any problem with the changes, or how the tyrells have a viewpoint in the show.

103. Annara Snow
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    Sean C.,

Sansa:“I don’t care that he’s a Lannister he’s not the worst Lannister but he’s a dwarf and I don’t want to have sex with him because I’m still vain even after Joffrey”

I agree about that scene in general, but I would like to point out that not wanting to have sex with someone you find completely unattractive has nothing to do with vanity. In fact, not being forced to have sex with someone you don’t want to have sex with (i.e. be raped) is a very important right for most people.

But maybe I’m wrong, and there is this special “have sex with someone that physically repulses you” rite of passage that everyone has to go through before they are declared mature and non-vain… (Or at least, all females. Men, of course, are not expected to show their maturity and non-vanity by having sex with women they find repulsive; so, for instance, no one thinks Tyrion is vain for only having sex or wanting to have sex with good-looking women…)

104. Walter Harrow
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

I hate when people say that fans of Arya only like her because they think she is a ‘badass’. People try to use this whenever anyone criticises Sansa. Im a big fan of Sansa and think that Sophie is doing a great job, but i personally think that Maisie Williams is a better actress.

Arya is also my favourite character, but not because she is ‘badass’. I absoultely love the journey she takes throughout the books and think that she is one of the best written characters in fantasy (im a huge Wheel of Time/Malazan/Farseer fan and Arya is my fave fictional character for that reason)

105. Eleanor
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

106. House de Laguna
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

107. Annara Snow
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Walter Harrow:
    Annara Snow,

Yeah, I would hate that, too, if someone said that FANS of Arya only like her because she is badass. Especially since I’m also a fan of Arya. I’m glad you took the time to explain that, I’m just not sure why you felt compelled to say that to me.

Or were you using a Straw Man and responding to a non-existent argument?

If you were not, then I’m glad we are in such perfect agreement that FANS love Arya, Dany and Tyrion for deeper reasons than “she’s badass”, “he’s funny” or “she has dragons”, unlike these SHALLOW ARTICLE WRITERS that I was showing my annoyance with, when I wrote:

“Great, another genius article writer who blames the victim and thinks Sansa should have taken up a sword and fought her way through the King’s Landing and the Riverlands all on her own, preferably while making witty jokes.

I hate these shallow writeups about the series. Of course, if you asked them who the characters they like are and why they like them, they’d say they like Arya because she’s “badass” and carries a sword, Tyrion because he’s funny, and Dany… because she has dragons, as if that’s what these characters are all about.”

108. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Sophie Turner’s a terrific actress.

I think Emelia is very good.

For both of them, though, I’d say that they’re still at a stage of their careers where bad writing hurts them more than it hurts a vet like Charles Dance, who could get up there, yell a Chinese takeout menu at Jack Gleeson, and have it come off. In most cases, the veterans can navigate through poor writing better – Dinklage, Bean, Liam Cunningham, Stephen Dillane, Headey, NCW, Dance, Conleth Hill, a few others.

By contrast, IHW, Sophie Turner, Emelia Clarke, Kit, Richard Madden and a few others are going to sound like they’re straining a bit more; (Maisie is a bit better than any of them, so she’s a bit of an exception).

And so Season 2 really didn’t serve Emelia well save for the first couple of episodes, before they got to Qarth, and Episode 10, where she rocked out Dracarys.

109. Arthur
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I love Emilia and think she portrays Dany absolutely wonderfully…

She did a great job transforming from a naive and submissive, totally obedient to her brother, weakling… To the amazing and confident (over confident) dragon queen we see today.

We all have our own opinions but I enjoy Emilia’s portrayal off Dany…

I think a lot of the hate we see directed at Emilia are just from people who are jealous of her natural beauty and just can’t see past it.

110. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Laszlo,

Sean C.,

but in the books they had the Tyrells offering her a marriage in the gardens and then the surprise wedding to Tyrion from Sansa’s perspective, and that’s still there in the show… filling in the gaps doesn’t make her less of a protagonist, it just makes non POV characters more of one. They can’t fill out 10hours in a satisfying way with just POV character scenes.

Annara Snow,

Na it doesn’t make her vain, but the casual viewers aren’t gonna see it that way, especially when they aren’t giving Sansa any other reason to have negative thoughts about being married to him, because he’s the “nice Lannister”, when they could have just dropped the line from the book that Joffrey was nice to her at first too.
    Add to that when they changed Tyrion from “I really wanna fuck that 13 year old girl” to “Bronn don’t put ideas in my head she’s a child” and boom the scene makes Sansa look vain

111. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Walter Harrow,

Do you recommend Malazan? I just finished the first law tril and I needed a fantasy fix so I bought Gardens of the Moon, haven’t started yet though

112. Alayne
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Gosh, people!! So much negativity in the comments. Sophie and Emilia are amazing. Especially Sophie – Sansa is my favourite and she brings a complexity that’s difficult to convey in a character who is very internal.

I love Emilia’s shoot, she’s so gorgeous. Sophie is stunning but wow… those clothes are terrible, poor thing.

113. Tom
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

I think some of you dissect this show down to the most ridiculous levels, like complaining about how a particular line was spoken. Not sure how you could enjoy the show at all watching like that.
    Anyway they are both great and look amazing here. I couldn’t imagine anyone else playing their characters.

114. Vincentious
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

I had no idea people had such disdain for Sophie and Emilia as actresses. And someone mentioned Kit too. This thread is mighty enlightening!

115. Greenjones
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

People don’t give Unsullied enough credit when it comes to their appreciation of the characters. It’s true they’ll often say so-and-so is “badass”, but people do the same for characters like Walter White and I’m sure that someone like him is appreciated for more than his violent moments. If people articulate why the like a character poorly it doesn’t necessarily mean that they don’t understand the character.

People often deride Unsullied fans of Dany for liking her just because “she has dragons” but I think that’s too simplistic. The dragons actually have very limited screentime and aren’t really the centerpiece of her storyline. She is. Anyways people liked her in season 1 before they were born.

EDIT: Tom’s above comment is right on. We have to remember that despite the validity of some of our points and how interesting our analysis can sometimes be, we as a fandom live in a bubble. The way we watch the show is very different from how the average person, sullied or unsullied, watches the show.

116. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Vincentious,

Its more than just the acting for those people, oh boy…

117. Sean C.
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:

Firstly, the wedding was not from her perspective. Tyrion’s perspective was emphasized much more strongly throughout (hence, his finding out about the marriage and issues with it being worth several scenes, whereas her finding out about it was glossed over, and reaction limited to a single awful with Margaery designed to make her look dumb and make her not wanting to marry Tyrion look naive and silly). And yes, it does make her less of a protagonist, because without the storyline being grounded in her POV, she’s nothing more than an object in the narrative. Unlike with some other characters, who are much more active, and whose protagonist status can survive the expansion of the roles of other people in the story; in Sansa’s case, expanded focus on other people leads to them taking over her story, since they’re the ones making most of the consequential decisions. Sansa’s story hinges on her perspective far more than many others, which should have made preserving it an important thing to the writers; instead, they just demoted her to prop for most of the season.

They can’t fill out 10hours in a satisfying way with just POV character scenes.

Sure they could. Sansa had various other things described in her POV (like her further interactions with the Tyrells) which could have been shown. Or they could find ways to involve Sansa herself with Varys or whoever, if they wanted scenes specifically for that character.

Or, for that matter, they could have used that screentime to beef up other storylines at the same time that desperately needed it — like Jon’s interactions with the Wildlings (he and Ygritte hardly interact in the first four episodes, before their extremely rushed hookup in the fifth), or Catelyn, who was rendered invisible for most of the season and never had a single scene with her own brother.

118. Hancock
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Almost any time I see people complaining about the acting ability of… actors, any actors, I feel like I am missing something. There isn’t anyone in Game of Thrones that I feel is a bad actor, but its not just that, thoughts about the quality of acting usually never cross my mind (unless we are talking Tommy Wiseau or anyone from Troll 2). Whenever people complain I just think to myself what if my life was a movie or show and people were judging my “acting” abilities.

“yeeah, I just, I just don’t believe that the guy playing Hancock really understands the character. Like whenever he starts talking to someone he just stumbles over his delivery, and he is soooo bad at portraying happiness. In scenes where is supposed to be happy he seems to have the same bland expressions as always. Oh! It also never seems to know what to do with his hands! The moron has to learn how to behave in a believable manner, otherwise I can’t stand watching this show”.

Or maybe I am just so awkward irl that I can’t perceive what “real emotions” should look like in movies and shows…. am I a sociopath?

119. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

I didn’t read the fully comment but I only needed the first sentence to realise you misunderstood what I was saying. I’ve stated multiple times that up until 3×06 where she finds out about the marriage it’s fine and then then on out she’s completely shit on.

I do not disagree that they showed it through Tyrion’s perspective, there is no argument here, I was just saying she has her own perspective in the early season, and what she had in the books (not much) wasn’t taken away at that point.

120. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

So you are saying we should not be allowed to see other characters in kings Landing scenes?

Here you argue about her being centerpiece of Kings Landing.
    Sansa had enough scenes in the third season, Eight episodes of ten.
    Margaery needs some screentime too you know, so does Olenna, Tywin, Cersei.
    Writers are showing her as a object is excactly what she does become, she is one of several stories. Dont tell me she doesnt go through the same journey in the book please. Does having Jaime in Kings Landing early diminish Tyrions upcoming storyline? You have noted how in the trailers he are in it with Tyrion.

121. Felt Pelt
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

I don’t like the jacket Clarke is wearing on her shoulders in the top photo. It looks like something the Grizwolds bought in National Lampoon’s European Vacation.

However, I will deal with my dislike, and someday maybe, grow to love it.

122. Sean C.
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos:

No, I did not say that. I said that the show should not be using them to infringe on Sansa’s plot.

Here you argue about her being centerpiece of Kings Landing.

Well, strictly speaking, as one of the two POVs on whom the King’s Landing story is based, Sansa is properly one of the centrepieces of King’s Landing, much as with the other POV characters in their own strands. I was offering that suggestion relating to her book material if the show was looking to create scenes featuring KL characters; as I said as well, that screentime would most likely have been better-used in other locations altogether.

Margaery needs some screentime too you know, so does Olenna, Tywin, Cersei.

Margaery and Olenna could have been included in other scenes with Sansa, if need be. Or they could simply have interacted with Cersei and/or Tywin on other matters.

Again, other characters treating her like an object is not the same thing as the narrative treating her as an object. George R. R. Martin never treated Sansa like an object; she was the protagonist. The show treats her like an object; her own viewpoint is consistently unimportant, and she exists only as something for other characters to argue over, while also losing vital moments to the writers’ pandering to Tyrion.

The scenes in the trailers are set after the wedding, when Jaime would have been back anyway, with Jaime replacing Kevan. I don’t imagine it will diminish Tyrion’s story at all; it’s theoretically possible, but the nature of the story itself and the fact that the writers always prioritize Dinklage (as seen in the Tyrion/Sansa story this season) would suggest no. As I already said, Sansa’s storyline is much more vulnerable to these kinds of changes than others.

123. House Mormont
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

Just accept that there are no pov chapters in the show, therefore ALL important characters need to be fleshed out, and there are a lot of them in kings landing: Littlefinger, Varys, Pycella, Tywin, the Tyrells etc. otherwise they’d be portayed as 2 dimensional and as objects too. A character isn’t less important because they weren’t a POV in the book. By that logic Robb should have just not been in Season 2.

And just to put it in perspective, 24 out of asoiaf’s 344 chapters are Sansa’s. That’s 6.9% of the story, Tyrion is 14.2% of the story, and her last chapter was what? 8 years ago. George clearly didn’t value her that much.

124. Annara Snow
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    Sean C.,

Eh? That’s a very strange statement. So, George clearly didn’t value Tyrion (or Dany, or Jon, or Bran) when he didn’t give them any POV chapters in AFFC, and in 2011, their last chapters were 6 years before? He clearly doesn’t value characters if they have less chapters than Tyrion – so, he clearly doesn’t value any of the characters other than Tyrion? But, if, say, Arya or Dany have overpass Tyrion in the number of chapters, that would mean that he clearly doesn’t value him as much as them? Or, if George had not moved Sansa’s chapter from ADWD to TWOW, then he would have clearly valued Sansa, since her last chapter would be 3 years ago, but since he moved that chapter, he clearly doesn’t value her that much?

You’re not making any sense.

125. Annara Snow
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Greenjones:
    Annara Snow,

Please don’t try to make it into a general statement about the Unsullied, which I was NOT making. When did “shallow article writers” become “the Unsullied in general”? There are lots of people who haven’t read the books but who are real fans of the show and pay attention to the characters and the story. It’s naive to think that every person who writes an article for Glamour or whatever other magazine is one of the devoted fans of the show. Most of them seem to be, at best, shallow and casual viewers, or, at worst, people who may not have ever even seen the show, so they tried to “inform” themselves on what “fans” like or dislike and who the characters are supposed to be.

126. K26dp
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

You know who aren’t terrible actors?

Emilia Clarke and Sophie Turner.

127. Lord Davos
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

Just to help, Tyrion is a more prominent character in the story, i think was what M meant.
    Maybe Sansa had less chapters because she had a smaller viewpoint?
    Her chapters are definetily not pointless or less value, they are most strong and unique.

128. LordSnow
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

William Gill,

Absolutely she’s unlikeble. I don’t know anybody who likes her in the books. She’s definitely the least liked Stark in the series.

129. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

LordSnow,

Catelyn is more unlikable, but she is also much more interesting to read. Of the main POV characters, Sansa is by far the least interesting, IMO. Thankfully most of her chapters take place around more interesting characters.

130. Kris
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

I thought Emilia Clark was utter crap at first but she has grown on me. I remember season 1, laughing at her 90% of the time because I thoughts she was an awful fit for Dany. Her delivery has become far more solid, she seems more comfortable in the role but still, she has moments where I think she got the role because she is gorgeous and was willing to get naked. The latter part of Season 3 made me actually appreciate her more.
    Same goes for Sophie Turner. She has had great moments and plenty of weak spots but a lot of the newbie actors have. She is fantastic at playing scared and vulnerable and that is a good thing because Sansa is vulnerable and naive and foolish. Not all characters can, or should, be a badass or morally flexible or a warrior princess. I think Sophie shows the softness in Sansa.

I think both actresses simply get featured more, not because of their impressive resumes or press-worthy skill set but because they are both very attractive. Hey, whatever it takes to bring attention to the cast and show is awesome but lets not fool ourselves. Emilia is this gorgeous, tiny thing in a popular show as a central character. Sophie is tall as all get out, gorgeous and young. It’s two types Hollywood, in the US and beyond, loves.

131. J
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Vincentious,

It’s not a lot of people. It’s the same few going back and forth. Fans on the whole seem to like Sophie. I think it’s Emilia who is more divisive.

132. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Kris,

Season one Dany was the best Emilia season. What was so bad about her portrayal?

133. J
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Kris,

That’s true, but they also get cast in things. Hollywood is full of attractive young people, so just to say “well, they are featured more because they’re the best looking and that’s it” takes away from the fact that they are out there auditioning for parts and actually getting them. Furthmore, marketability is just as important in an actor’s success as talent is. Both Clarke and Turner are signed to major Hollywood talent agencies, which means that Hollywood actually puts stock in them succeeding. And the more major magazine spreads they get, the more their stock rises.

People go on and on about Maisie Williams, who I think is good as Arya, but not exceptionally better than anyone else like some fans might claim (I think this comes from the fact that Arya is such a fan fave, so whoever played her was going to get praise regardless). Williams has been to LA more times than Turner has, but hasn’t been signed to any major talent agency. The number of photo shoots she has are minuscule compared to the other actresses on the show. That speaks volumes in terms of how marketable Hollywood thinks she is outside the show.

134. guest
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

J,

i think maisie is great, but i don’t see her succeeding outside the show like emilia, sophie, or even rose leslie might. she doesn’t have the hollywood looks for it, sorry to say. and that’s probably the main reason she’s not featured more in magazines and hasn’t been signed to any american talent agency. it’s shallow, but looks, especially in young hollywood, matter.

135. M
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

guest,

What the hell are you talking about????????????????????????? Jesus I hate this place!

136. guest
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

M,

i’m talking sense based on the evidence that’s available. maisie, who is playing a fan favorite character and is recognizable as arya, has not done half of what the other actresses on the show have. and her age isn’t a factor because sophie has been regularly featured in magazines since season 2. and please don’t make the argument that she just doesn’t want those things because this girl loves attention. just look at her twitter/vines/instagram.

137. Winter Rose
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 12:01 am | Permalink

guest,

Wow.

138. Winter Rose
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 12:24 am | Permalink

guest,

What is shallow is to assume she loves attention based on her social media activity.

No, not every woman, actress or no, wants to or cares about being in the cover of a fashion magazine (I bet most of them just do it for the money).

If she hasn’t been featured on a lot of those magazines, maybe it’s probably because she doesn’t appeal to the kind of girl who buys them in the first place (rather than just being ugly).

Personally, and though I don’t think Emilia and Sophie are terrible, I believe Maisie is a far better actress than the other two. Fashion shoots — and similar marketing — are probably not relevant to the kind of roles she might be offered in the future, or how her career will turn out to be in the first place.

139. ATG
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Simply gorgeous, both of them.

140. guest
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Winter Rose,

do you pay attention to her social media activity? it’s obvious she loves the attention. half of her instagram page is made up of selfies, not to mention her vines. i’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that at all, but it’s obvious.

and actors and actresses, especially those who are up-and-coming, don’t just do photo shoots for the money. they do it for exposure, personal promotion, and marketing, which is important to their careers and is actually something casting directors pay attention to. if you think none of that is relevant to their careers, then you haven’t been paying attention to how hollywood works.

lastly, i didn’t call her ugly. that’s just you putting words in my mouth. i said she doesn’t have hollywood looks, which i don’t think she does. that doesn’t mean she’s ugly. she’s a cute girl. and i also think she’s a great actress, but i agree with J that she’s not any better than the other two. i don’t think she could play sansa convincingly or daenerys, and vice versa. she’s good as arya and she gets a lot of attention for that because arya is a memorable and a fan favorite character, but she has her issues just like the other actresses do.

P.S. your comment doesn’t explain why she hasn’t been signed to a major talent agency and the other two have. and that does have to do with marketability.

141. Aegon XLVIII
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 1:17 am | Permalink

guest:
    J,

“I don’t see her succeeding outside the show. She doesn’t have the Hollywood looks.”

The problem is you’re basing her success solely on her “Hollywood looks.” If you think that’s the main factor of being successful there, you’ve got it all wrong. Also if you look around, Maisie seems to be in a lot of people’s top 5 GOT actors/actress list. More than Sophie and Emilia (although those 2 are fine actresses as well). So that should say something about Maisie’s abilities.

“That’s probably the main reason she’s not featured more in magazines and hasn’t been signed to any american talent agency.”

Maybe but I value Maisie more as an outstanding actress rather than an outstanding marketer so who cares?

142. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 1:55 am | Permalink

Maisie is still maturing. She was a cute kid and will be an attractive adult. Her looks won’t prevent her from having a successful career.

143. Jack
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 1:56 am | Permalink

Aegon XLVIII,

People really like Arya, which translates to really liking Maisie. Regardless of Maisie playing that character, Arya was going to be a fan favorite because she’s a character that transfers well to the screen, much like Tyrion and unlike Sansa who is very internalized. Showier characters tend to get more love, which leads to whoever plays them getting love.

You hardly see people complain about Peter Dinklage’s terrible attempt at an accent when he plays Tyrion because he gets the best lines and Tyrion is very showy. Dinklage is great, but his performance is not infallible like most of the fans you cite like to believe. And that’s just one example.

144. m2
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 2:08 am | Permalink

Jack,

Peter’s accent is SO bad. He gave up some time around season 2 and never looked back.

Sophie and Emilia look lovely and are talented. Critics and casting directors seem to agree with both points, so haters can stay pressed.

145. KG
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 2:31 am | Permalink

Emilia has to lose that dreadful blood-sucking red lipstick. How does that ghastly look stay in fashion year after year? >_<

146. Mirri Maz
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Socks with sandals will never be ok.

147. Arya Dunyett
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 3:13 am | Permalink

Hmm.

I must have made a wrong turn. I seem to have landed in the Middle School girls’ restroom. What a bunch of bitches!

It’s good press and good for the show.

148. King of the Ashes
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 3:56 am | Permalink

KG:

hmm, can’t say i agree with you there friend……

149. Chrisss
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 4:36 am | Permalink

Emilia is so stunning I love her in that magazine shooting and as Dany in Game of Thrones <3

150. Golden
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 4:46 am | Permalink

As far as bad performances go, I felt the first Daario was the worst actor on the show. He literally had one face expression with lopsided ironic smirk. That said, the next one doesn’t look too convincing either.

I didn’t like Sophie at first, as well as Arya, but I’m not good at judging child actors. Both have grown in age and craft since then, and should be able to carry the show till the very end.

About Emilia – big problem with the second season was that all she did was walking/standing and talking, unlike in the first, when she had plenty of interesting interaction with Viserys and Dothraki. There wasn’t too much of that in the third and the only elements of variety for her were the invisible CGI dragons. It’s no wonder, her performance struggles to stay “fresh”.

151. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 4:52 am | Permalink

EPISODE TITLES: (by HBO Latino)

1. Two Swords
    2. The Lion and the Rose
    3. Breaker of Chains
    4. Oathkeeper

2, 3, and 4 are good, but what 1 is not. “Two Swords”? Melting of Ice? and then have another sword, Oathkeeper, as a title also?

House of the Rising Sun” would have been a better title for the premiere. I love the other titles! Especially the 2nd!

152. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Episode 1 “Two Swords” – 58 minutes
    Episode 2 “The Lion and the Rose” – 52 minutes
    Episode 3 “Breaker of Chains” – 56 minutes
    Episode 4 “Oathkeeper” – 54 minutes

153. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 5:11 am | Permalink

Summer is Coming,

They’ve had 4 years of production and yet they still don’t have a definitive episode length, that seems a bit off. I just hope they have enough goods left over for an hour finale again, without spending half of it making wholly-unconnected story arcs spiritually-linked. I’m looking forward to episode 2 though, when people see that colorful medieval carnival in all its splendor they’ll completely forget their cynicism of it being just another Tolkien-esque fantasy.

154. Leo
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 5:25 am | Permalink

I wonder if Breaker of Chains is a sarcastic title, where Dany is having trouble taking care of the (whopping 200,000!) Yunkish slaves she freed and are now following her around. Because ep3 is way too soon for her to take Meereen. The production whiteboard had “Daario fight” at Ep 4.

155. ATG
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 6:25 am | Permalink

KG:

That blood-sucking red lipstick turns me on soooo much.

156. ugh
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 7:51 am | Permalink

I’m moving to another GoT site.

157. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Summer is Coming,

Woot! Maybe we’ll get the big list today then, as expected!

ETA: And holy shit! The episodes are nicely long! I’m happy :)
    Two Swords is okay. Why not?
    The Lion and the Rose is quite obvious, weird that no one thought of it. This kind of squashes away the possibility of “The Snake and the Mountain”.
    Breaker of Chains seems a bit early. Should have been “Kingslayer”…But we shall see.
    Oathkeeper is exactly where I hoped it will be and thought it will be. It leaves four episodes of Brienne in the Riverlands tops…

158. Stephen
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 7:56 am | Permalink

I think Emilia is pretty damn good. The youtube links given above are good examples. Sometimes she is a bit off but I would also blame the script. She is given some pretty bad lines at times.
    Jon is ok and his ‘poor’ acting does not really bother me. He definitely has the look. Lets see how he deals with some of the hard scenes to come.

159. House Mormont
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Annara Snow,

that’s not really the same lmao because characters not included in affc were still written but kept for adwd, but affc characters were included in adwd if their story wasn’t concluded, like arya, cersei and jaime. Sansa’s story obviously wasn’t concluded since she got three chapters with nothing much happening and she was just brushed aside.

So when you’re saying that the show is not showing her enough when GRRM told so much story through her, not really.

160. House Mormont
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Summer is Coming,

OMFG YES!!!! Breaker of Chains in episode 3? she takes Meereen that early? That’s great! And that means a massive explosive episode right after the Purple Wedding!

I agree House of the Rising Sun would have been a great title, I reckon either episode 1 or 4 will get renamed

161. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 8:27 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

3 should have been Kingslayer FFS! It would have been perfect! I hope it gets renamed.

Either way, both 3 and 4 were in almost everyone’s lists. Good choices by D&D. I hope episode 10 is also our top choice (Only a Cat of a Different Coat).

162. FNF

Dany takes/prepares to take Mereen/Jaime x Cersei aftermath/The Wall stuff
    Jaime falls out with Cersei, Sends Brienne on her quest/some other stuff

My thoughts.

163. Laszlo
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 8:34 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

The point is, don’t try to make assumptions about how much GRRM “values” her based on that, there’s a lot more to how that kind of stuff ends up like. Like Arya got one chapter in ADWD, with very little happening. But Sansa’s storyline ended with a cliffhanger that most likely would have needed more to tie up.
    And how many chapters she has later on really has nothing to do with the show, which hasn’t reached that part yet.

164. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 8:48 am | Permalink

In my original list on a post I can no longer find, I did guess Oathkeeper. The others I whiffed on, but 1 of 4 ain’t bad! I still wanted “Lives of Four Kings,” but what can you do. “The Lion and the Rose” is pretty nice, as it’s also a callback to Season 1′s “The Wolf and the Lion.”

165. House Mormont
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

I kinda wanted something to do with roses and thorns but maybe that’d be too spoilery

Laszlo,

Arya got two that transformed her useless cliffhanger into a natural conclusion to training in the house of black and white, Sansa was left stuck on her useless cliffhanger. Hopefully Winds will do better, but with 20 povs and around 70 chapters it’s not looking likely. I have hope with the show though.

166. house snow
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I like all the titles although if arya fight is in episode one I think I would have named it crossroads or inn at the crossroads

167. Josh
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Leo,

“Too early” is a book readers’ favorite phrase. Why is it too early? If I remember correctly, it’s Dany’s next chapter in ASOS after Yunkai and it looks like her season will have a fair amount of ADWD material to fill the rest of the season.

168. Turncloak
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Summer is Coming:
    Episode 1 “Two Swords” – 58 minutes
    Episode 2 “The Lion and the Rose” – 52 minutes
    Episode 3 “Breaker of Chains” – 56 minutes
    Episode 4 “Oathkeeper” – 54 minutes

Fascinating. Maybe a big emphasis will be placed on Valyrian Steel in episode 1. I always found it odd that Robb never demanded ICE be returned to him on the show

169. Carlos
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Leo,

They’ve moved things into different episodes during the editing process before. Daario’s fight and the taking of Meereen could all happen within one episode, with it initialy being planned for 4 but moved to 3. And, we have seen that they’re going way into ADWD. I could honestly see Daenerys agreeing to marrying Hizahr by the end of the season.

170. Annara Snow
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

House Mormont: Annar

Eh? She wasn’t “brushed aside”, her chapter was moved to Winds of Winter. Are you really trying to say that this was GRRM deciding “meh, I don’t care about Sansa”? That’s really silly. So, he also brushed the Battle of Ice and the Battle of Fire, when he moved them to Winds?

And what does that have to do with how Sansa was portrayed in season 3, which has nothing to do with AFFC or ADWD? Sansa’s chapters in ASOS were great, and GRRM has portrayed her development wonderfully.

Oh, and BTW, to those who “don’t know anyone who likes Sansa in the books”, newsflash: your friends don’t make up a representative sample of the fandom. I love Sansa in the books and I find her POV chapters some of the most interesting, and a lot of people feel the same.

171. Carlos
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Summer is Coming:
    Episode 1 “Two Swords” – 58 minutes
    Episode 2 “The Lion and the Rose” – 52 minutes
    Episode 3 “Breaker of Chains” – 56 minutes
    Episode 4 “Oathkeeper” – 54 minutes

“Two Swords” is a cool title, and obviously refers to Tywin’s splitting of Ice that we saw in the foreshadowing, but I wonder if it has any special meaning beyond that? “The Lion and the Rose” is a bit simplistic for my taste, though the potential titles I liked might have been to spoilery, like “Widow’s Wail” Breaker of Chains and Oathkeeper I both love.

172. Hizdar for President
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

I love Sophie and Emilia. … The fashion (or lack there of) is HORRIBLE in these pics though. They look like they picked random clothes from a bus station lost and found box while blindfolded.

173. KG
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Never forget that women and men have different standards of beauty! What you think is hot, we pretty much roll our eyes at and say “Whatever … if he likes it …”

King of the Ashes: hmm, can’t say i agree with you there friend……

174. loco73
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

…and cue in the fucktards!!! Wow, you can already feel a Winter/Phil’s departure…thought it would last a bit longer…before it started its decay…

175. Al Swearengen
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Schwing! Schwing!

176. Kris
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Geesh. I didn’t expect people to get in a tizzy when I made the comment about Sophie and Emilia’s looks.
    I don’t think there is a dud on this show but anyone who doesn’t believe that the “hot” actors aren’t going to get the berries is fooling themselves. The best female actor on this show, in my opinion, has been Michelle Fairley. Even when the character left me cold, she delivered. How often did we see her featured in magazines and fashion spreads? No often. Now maybe she is more low-key and not interested in doing the marketing grunt work of putting herself on display. No shame in that. Or maybe she isn’t simply as marketable, as a showpiece, because of her age/looks. Like it or not…fashion spreads/pop culture outlets are going to do far more business with a youthful beauty, then someone (in Hollywood) is considered past their “prime” or someone not revered for their looks.
    It’s unfortunate but having good genes really helps in this business. I think all of us could count on both hands and feet “talent” that has succeeded in entertainment because of their looks and not their skill set.
    Nothing wrong with any of that, get what you can but this shouldn’t be shocking to anyone.
    I was not, and am not, saying Sophie and Emilia get recognition just because of their looks but you can bet it doesn’t hurt matters. They are both talented young actresses who are capitalizing on their fame, as they should be.

177. King of the Ashes
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

KG:
    Never forget that women and men have different standards of beauty!What you think is hot, we pretty much roll our eyes at and say “Whatever … if he likes it …”

exactly….. which is why i said i don’t agree. stating my opinion. that was all.

178. KG
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

King of the Ashes,

And … so was I? Don’t see a problem here?

179. OldeCrone
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:59 am | Permalink

I have no problems with Emilia and Sophie as actresses and I think Mother Nature has been kind to them both in the looks department. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it is possible the people who don’t like their acting/looks are being genuine according to their beliefs. One of the winners of an Oscar last night always leaves me cold but obviously others disagree with me or the person who won said award would not have won it.

180. Lord Davos
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

OldeCrone,

Are you talking about McChounaghey? He used to be a shitty actor, but hes got a grip.
    True Detective is a great show with him.

181. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Eleanor: Emilia and Sophie both do great work when they’re given great material. I simply don’t understand how either of them could be objectively described as “horrible actors”. And Sophie is absolutely ace at conveying emotions without words.

I swear, Sophie seems like she’s really Sean Bean’s daughter, in that they’re both amazing at saying so much while saying absolutely nothing. The same can be said for Maisie: the way she, in ep 309, tells the Hound she’s not afraid then turns back to the Twins and her face just screams “Yes I’m afraid for the exact reasons you just described, jerk!”

182. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

House de Laguna: Sophie looks like such a child in those outfits lol, I think it’s time she has some photoshoots on the level of some of the older actors and actresses of Game of Thrones lol

Sophie only turned 18 about a week ago, so she was still 17 when this shoot and other shoots were done. We’ll likely start to see her in more sophisticated/mature (read as less-childish, not more sexual) shoots soon.

183. Blind Beth
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Leo,

I think you’re on the right track. Either that or Dany finds out about the Butcher and the chaos that is Yunkai. Either way I think it’s going to end up being ironic.

1. […] o texto com a matéria da atriz, é claro, está todo em francês. O site Winter is Coming traduziu as partes em que a atriz fala especificamente sobre Game of Thrones na […]