New Season 4 promo feature announced
By Hear Me Roar on in Marketing, Media.

HBO has just uploaded a short promo announcing the next feature. On March 11th (8:30 EST) we are getting “The Politics of Power – A Look Back at Season Three”.  Enjoy this 30 second preview, the real thing is coming in about a week.

Hear Me Roar: Looks like one of those useful “state-of-the-game” refreshers. We actually expected the last 15-minute feature video to be like that, but they surprised us with all new material. Colour me thoroughly spoiled, but I am nevertheless hoping for some new glimpses of S4 next week as well.

We are but a month away from this season’s premiere (joy!) and understandably the promotional machinery has been kicked into high gear. Here is a refresher of our own. We got our first trailer in mid-January, followed by an on-the-set featurette some ten days later.

In the beginning of February we saw the awesome 15-minute Foreshadowing show, and a second trailer aptly named “Vengeance” soon after.

Two Artisan featurettes were peppered inbetween, of course, one on the new production designer Deborah Riley, and another on shooting in Iceland. Add to those the teasers released alongside the batch of character posters (linky link link), and we have a mix every bit as volatile as wildfire. 34 days, people!

1. Mescalinic
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

cool, thanks

2. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

34 days is 34 days too long..

3. GeekFurious
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I just noticed the countdown clock on the site is off by an hour.

4. KG
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Getting excited now :)

5. Michael Walker
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I really hope they stop shoving Dany down our throats this season

6. Lord Greenseer
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

hodor…

7. Thomas Jane
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I am going to be pissed off if Daenerys ends up getting more screentime this season (as usual). I get that she is a popular character but can they please let other characters (Arya, Jon, Sansa) get some time

It just annoys me that Daenerys (and even Tyrion) have to have the biggest moments, the most screentime and just cant be seen as anything other than great heroes

8. Jared
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

That’s because it’s accounting for Daylight Savings Time in the U.S., which will happen on Sunday, March 9th.

9. House Mormont
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Michael Walker:
    I really hope they stop shoving Dany down our throats this season

1. Tyrion Lannister – 49:03
    2. Jaime Lannister – 36:34
    3. Jon Snow – 35:46
    4. Daenerys Targaryen – 31:37
    5. Sansa Stark – 31:07

10. Jon
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

And on my birthday too :D

11. Dower
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Michelle Fairly still doing commentary about season 4? Interesting ;)

12. erin
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Why a Tuesday night?

13. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Michael Walker,

Yes, because the most popular character on the show should definately be marginalized. Look, she is not one of my favorites either, but it is obvious that among show-only fans she is the main character. Even so, I did not find her screen time to be overwhelming in S3. I’d like to see a little more doubt in Daenerys this season, as cocky megalomaniac Dany is the worst.

14. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Dower,

NCW still has long hair and Jon is in Wildling attire, so this was filmed during the filming of last season.

15. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Thomas Jane:

House Mormont: hardly, looking at season 3 screentime, bearing in mind she had a more productive season than any of them
    1. Tyrion Lannister – 49:03
    2. Jaime Lannister – 36:34
    3. Jon Snow – 35:46
    4. Daenerys Targaryen – 31:37
    5. Sansa Stark – 31:07

I love when people are disproved with actual facts. Thank you for that.

16. Chrisss
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

looking so forward to season 4 and especially Dany’s storyline. She’s my most favorite character and I adore her.

17. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Emilia Clarke recently said in an interview how important Dany is in being a positive female role-model and figurehead for the show. While her book counterpart has fallen by the wayside through GRRM’s consistency struggles, Clarke’s version has risen from the season 2 mediocre storyline to maintaining a high position as a figurehead for HBO’s marketing department. I believe her heavy focus by HBO is beneficial to creating a television landscape of strong female leads in television who are popular among the show watchers.

18. Thomas Jane
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I never said that she gets the MOST screentime, i said that i dont want her to get MORE screen time (as usual). She shouldnt have been in season 2 as much but yet they had to push her into the spotlight as much as possible.

If we are talking about MOST screentime, then i actually do feel this way about Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) as well. They just have to have him in every episode and he needs to have a few scenes even if they dont mean anything to the plot

I guarantee that he will be in every episode this year (or at least 9). He shouldnt appear for a few episodes after the wedding but he will have about twenty scenes in his cell where he talks about nothing and does nothing

19. cabbo
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Massive/cryptic spoiler…

CONFIRMED LADY STONEHEART… maybe…

20. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Thomas Jane,

So you would decrease the two most popular character’s screen time in favor of? With the addition of Jaime and Oberyn to the KL plot I will gladly take more Tyrion this season.

21. Aldi_A
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

This season is one Tyrion should be featured in a lot last season shouldn’t have been as much but oh well.

22. greg
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

You know nothing

23. WE DO NOT SOW
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Hello lady Stoneheart!

24. wizardeyes
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Nikolaj rules

25. Abyss
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Thomas Jane,

Where was Dany pushed into the spotlight as much as possible in season two? They gave here something to do in opposite to the books, that’s all.
    And don’t take that as any sort of attack, because it isn’t, but sometimes you simply get called out on your bullshit statements, it happens to all of us. This time House Mormont did that to you (assuming his/her times are correct) and it doesn’t matter that you said more time, not most. You also said that the show should give more time to characters like Sansa, when in reality Sansa had almost the exact amount of screentime as Dany in season 3. Just admit that you were wrong and move on.

26. Lord Davos
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Seven Hells Bells,

George doesnt have consistency struggles with Dany.
    He is rather deliberately making her story with great care and planning.
    We should be rather concerned that the show is turning her into a hero, which i hope it does not.
    I for one hope they stay true to the books.

27. Richard
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Greyjoy who? Everyone forgets about the Iron Islanders.
    There is still a fully armed leech with acquisition lock.

28. House Mormont
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

the first half of book three is the only real high she gets other than the middle of book 1, i think it’s okay that she looked like conqueror jesus there, and on rewatch I noticed Grazdan does offer her as many ships as she wants to go to westeros with her army and she’s like naaaaaa, so she’s not painted fully gold. And they kept her mirroring Viserys in season 2 and being the self righteous beggar queen, I reckon they’ll be faithful. The only difference is the Hazea scene will probably be more sympathetic, and Daario is actually attractive so that affair won’t be as annoying

29. Doug
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

cabbo:
    Massive/cryptic spoiler…

CONFIRMED LADY STONEHEART… maybe…

Maybe, but not from this video. She’s talking about the Red Wedding clearly, and that’s part of the whole “relive season 3″ thing. Part of the review aspect of the show. I’m sure the character is coming (at least I hope) but there’s nothing from this video that suggests that.

30. Walter Harrow
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Really cant wait for season 4.

Im obviously looking forward to everything in Kings Landing and im expecting the best season for Jon Snow and the Wall’s arc.

Im also hoping that Arya is given a bit if time this year. I was a bit disappointed with her screentime last season (her storyline in Storm of Swords is actually my fave) so i hope they make up for it by featuring her (and The Hound) as much as possible

31. Lord Davos
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Daario was pretty much a MTV boy, i didnt have any problems with their romance.
    Its not like these poor people dont deserve it.
    The end to book five was definitely a highpoint two last chapters=mindblown.
    The conqueror come again.

32. Talisa's ghost
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

KL has some of my favorite characters and even I have to admit all they did last season was chat, then walk to another place and chat some more. The only important thing that happened was Sansa and Tyrion’s wedding, which is why they’re probably among the top 5 characters with the most screen time. As long as they follow the story for the other characters and don’t cut important things, does it matter if Dany or some other popular character gets one more filler scene? You can always fast-forward.

33. Al Swearengen
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

“I killed the bad guys” I don’t recall Dany killing Joffrey, Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton, Ramsay Snow and Walder Frey.

34. Kyle
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I’m sure the majority of these interviews were done soon after filming S3, perhaps some after airing S3. I doubt much of the promo will be freshly shot material, and I doubt we get much in the way of S4 considering this is about S3. I do hope I’m wrong, though!

35. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Slavers = Bad

Woman who will burn thousands alive to take what is hers = Good

36. House Mormont
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

The last chapter is my favourite after that meereeneseblot essay THE DRAGON IS BACK AND DARKER

ps I have a question for all the book readers

Did Qarth ever go to war with Dany? I mean it’s like her third chapter when they declare on her, but I don’t seem to remember anything happening after that?

37. Reza
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Dower:
    Michelle Fairly still doing commentary about season 4? Interesting ;)

This is footage and commentary from season 3!!! Obviously the actors were saying these during season 3 production. They are just airing them now thats all so people shoudnt read too much into Michelle Fairly talking here. Its from and about season 3…nothing to do with S4…

38. Bill
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Michael Walker,

I thought Emilia was great in Season 3. The Dany hate–here and at Westeros–is a bit weird.

39. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Michael Walker,

I hate how accurately portraying Dany’s slave freeing frenzy has set people to saying she is whitewashed and that she’s being “shoved down our throats”. Not “shoving her down our throats” would have been not doing that arc justice from its book counterpart. Season 3 was as much Dany’s season as it was Jamie’s season and the RW season- and that’s exactly what it should have been, as per the source material.

Season 4 will be where the plot thickens and a bunch of layers are added to her storyline that complicate her journey (obstacles from within and without) Jorah’s betrayal reveal, the dragons going crazy and of course the fact that her campaign is doing more bad than good- forcing her to stay and rule or see her “children” get massacred by slavers. Dany will be showing her dark side, and I doubt we’ll be seeing less of Dany this season. Season 5 won’t likely be Dany-heavy though, considering they’ll likely finish in the Daznak Pit which leaves her a shorter arc (because they are going quite far into ADWD already and there wasn’t much adaptable stuff there anyway)..

40. Stannislaw
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I cannot see the clip for some ridiculous reason. Can someone who has watched the video tell me that is there some Stannis/Davos/Mel in it?

41. Talisa's ghost
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink
  42. House Mormont
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

On the contrary, meeting Hizdahr and the chaining of the dragons are both in Dany’s first adwd chapter, there’s still nine left (eight since the Xaro stuff isn’t gonna be happening), and this season is based on what, three Dany chapters? There’ll atleast be more material than she had in season 2

43. Remy Underwood
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I dont agree with people saying that Dany has been ‘shoved down our throats’, but i do feel that David and Dan care about her (and Tyrion) much more than they care about anyone else and end up putting more effort into her story

Arya is a great example of this. She is a fan favourite and Maisie Williams is one of the best actors but i think its clear that D&D dont really care about her as much as Dany/Tyrion.

One of the comment above pointed out that book 3 was as big for Dany as it was for Jaime, and i think the same could be said for Arya. Storm of Swords involves some of her biggest moments but D&D cut most of it (and did the same in Season 2, whereas they added more content for Dany in Season 2/3 and Tyrion in Season 3).

So although i dont believe that Dany is given too much screen time, i find it ‘upsetting’ (for lack of a better word) that they refuse to adapt some of Arya’s content in favour of adding more for thier own favourites

44. Rygar
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Wait isn’t this Season 3 shit? Whats with the Season 4 tag?

45. Satin
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Stannislaw,

I’m sure they’ll be in the actual feature, given that fucking cursing three kings of Westeros should play a bit of a role early in S4. Also, Shireen was pretty much a hit, I think, as was the Davos/Gendry combo.

Rygar,
    could be new material in it, too. And it’s prep.

46. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

But again (while I exclude myself in this) Dany’s ADWD is widely considered the most boring arc of the series. Only parts of it will be adapted, and a lot of the less important plots and characters won’t make it. Also, showing Dany stuck in Meereen for a substantial part of the season would piss off fans who would expect her to be in Westeros already. The less we see of Dany in season 5 the better (which means she appears in around 8 episodes). I’m not saying she needs Stannis level screentime but less than the usual will be good. How much could you honestly show of the shadow war and Dany giving in to Yunkai? Less than usual Dany, that’s how much.

47. acatlover
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:

ps I have a question for all the book readers

Qarth contributed to the blockade of Meereen with their navy, but there was no land attack, no.

48. Sam
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

D&D know the end, GRRM told them. So why concentrate on Dany/Tyrion? Well, they will play an important role in the end. That’s obvious. Why showing the characters who are less important and die later on anyway? Perfectly understand why the fan favorites have more screen time. Because they are fan favorites. Stop complaining, this is tv show business.

49. King Stannis
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Lmao @ the people always complaining and whining especially about Danerys. Did you guys forget that maybe, she’s a key player to the series and very important?!? This is coming from a stannis fan

50. Lord Davos
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Remy Underwood,

It may be that alot of her storyline is exposition and her storyline will continue on with the hound instead of the bwb. I hope that cause Rory Mccann owns.

51. John
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

So they probably shoot the voice-over scenes during season 4 filming, right?
    Anyone else wondered why Catelyn is the only one with complete voice-over while we get to see Emilia, Kit and NCW in their costumes? ;)
    LS – here we come!

52. cosca
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Remy Underwood,

Most of Arya’s ASOS material is filler, it needed to be cut down. What “big moments” did they remove from her Book 3 material? More boring prophecy stuff?

53. House Mormont
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Hand of the Kingslayer,

I think it’ll translate a lot better on screen, I mean it’s only 8 episodes before Daznak’s pit and in there you have the casualities in the shadow war, yunkai declaring war with support from tolos and new ghis, volantis declaring war, sending missions elsewhere to find food, the collapse of Astapor bringing the pale mare, ser barry training the slaves to be knights, marrying hizdahr ft green grace, brokering a peace in both wars, love with daario, friendship with missandei, the shavepate and the brazen beasts, quentyn and dorne and if she’s only in 7 out of 8 episodes like usual, she’ll have pretty action packed scenes, and then it gets a lot more action packed towards the end

I mean people get screentime for random sexposition and walking around the countryside talking all the time, this won’t be the most boring

acatlover,

thankyou

54. Greenjones
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

John,

I’m pretty sure these are from last year actually. Nikolaj has short hair this season and has long hair in that interview. Dany’s costumes are largely the same this year as they were last year and that Jon costume looks like some sort of undershirt that he could have as easily worn under his wildling garb as his NW outfit.

55. Remy Underwood
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

cosca,

And Tyrion getting a blowjob from Shae isnt filler? Tyrion giving three whores to Pod isnt filler?

They could (and should) have easily included the scene where Harwin notices Arya or they could have put anything else from her arc in SOS and it would have been better than those two scenes mentioned above

Storm of Swords is very important when it comes to Arya developing as a character.

56. sati
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

They still didn’t release final trailer, maybe it will be attached to this

57. cosca
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Remy Underwood,

Yes, those scenes are filler, as are much of Arya’s chapters in ASOS. And Harwin discovering her really isn’t a big moment, they got around that fine with the Hound, and they couldn’t easily put that in because Harwin wasn’t in the show previously.

58. House Mormont
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Remy Underwood,

Harwin, and the Ghost of High Heart and Lady Smallwood, and the Peach were always inevitably going to be cut. I just wish she had more time in Harrenhal, considering most of the characters introduced there end up showing up again

59. Remy Underwood
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Yeah i know that they were always going to be cut, but thats my point. I just have a feeling that if they were in Dany’s arc they would have kept them in the show, but because its not Dany, they have no problem cutting them

60. Lord Davos
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

cosca,
    Remy Underwood,

You could call the whole story filler, cause the ending is what matters right?
    But then, why are we reading or watching in the first place, if what happens inbetween isnt important?
    It doesnt matter what we see, if it doesnt lead up to something.
    So Shae is obviously filler, if you dont care where the relationship ends up. But if you people dont care for Tyrion or Arya, Podrick or Shae, why do you care how it ends?
    I have heard people complaining the the story is just filler.
    This is just George tickling us fans, crafting the stories we love more than others in the books- yet we complain.
    Why be a fan then, if the stories dont matter?

61. Onion Knight
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos:
    cosca,
    Remy Underwood,

You could call the whole story filler, cause the ending is what matters right?
    It doesnt matter what we see, if it doesnt lead up to something.
    I have heard people complaining the the story is just filler.
    Why be a fan then, if the stories dont matter?

The stories matter. The things you are talking about are pointless filler that are ultimately irrelevant to the story. Seeing Shae give Tyrion a BJ or Pod hooking up with half the hookers in Westeros doesn’t add to those storylines. It isn’t important for character development. It doesn’t set up future events. It doesn’t explore any of the shows themes. All it is there for is to fill the show’s Tyrion and boob quotas. That is what people are complaining about.

62. Jordan
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Onion Knight,

I think the difference between the two things (besides quality) is that the Tyrion filler is cheap to film and the Arya filler isn’t.

The show’s always been at its weakest for things in the book that involved lots of extras (especially lots of extras with speaking parts), which is why Robb/Catelyn’s and to a lesser extent Arya’s arc suffered (I say lesser extent since we did get some of the BWB).

I think it’s pretty obvious that the show’s love of conversation scenes has more than a little to do with budget- Tyrion and his circle are “ideal”, since their scenes largely consist of conversations with each other (and maybe the odd nude extra) in a room.

RE Lady Hornwood- The scenes with her are great, no question, but it doesn’t seem like the most obvious thing to include- you have a character get a substantial scene who isn’t really mentioned before or after. The stuff at the Peach is also good, but doesn’t seem worth adapting if there’s no Tom O’Sevens or dying Hoster Tully talking about Tansy.

63. Jordan
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Oops- Meant to say Lady Smallwood, not Lady Hornwood. Obviously different characters (although she, Lady Hornwood, and Lady Dustin all do seem to be drawn along somewhat similar lines).

Of course, Lady Hornwood hasn’t been included either, given the different way the Ramsay/Theon stuff works in the show.

64. Boojam
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Thomas Jane:
    Tyrion Pimpslap,

Percentage wise how much page time does Tyrion have in GRRM’s books compared to the show?
    If it’s the same, blame George.

65. Brian
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Thomas Jane, that’s because they (and Jon) are clearly the three main protagonists of the books

66. Casso
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Brian:

Except for book 4. I think Arya’s the only one with a point of view chapter in every book.

67. NickTargaryen
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:11 am | Permalink

sati:
    They still didn’t release final trailer, maybe it will be attached to this

How do you know there will be another trailer?

68. Donut
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Boojam,

A Storm of Swords
    Arya Stark – 13 chapters
    Jon Snow – 12 chapters
    Tyrion Lannister – 10 chapters
    Jaime Lannister – 9 chapters
    Catelyn Stark – 7 chapters
    Sansa Stark – 7 chapters
    Davos Seaworth – 6 chapters
    Daenerys Targaryen – 6 chapters
    Samwell Tarly – 5 chapters
    Bran Stark – 4 chapters

I read the books. The Daenary plot did NOT feel shoved down my throat. The whole Yunkai thing was one chapter. In the show it was spread in small parts over several episodes.

69. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Donut,

That’s what happens when you split one book into two seasons. Look at Tyrion’s arc, for instance. Out of those ten chapters, they used probably four and spread that over nine episodes. We saw a LOT of Kingslanding in season 3 (even more than Dany). Was it shoved down our throat? No, it was necessary.

Season 3 was always going to be an impactful season for Dany. It’s the season where she gets an army, she frees slaves and treks across the slaver’s bay. Yes, there are only four chapters in there, but they are meaty- filled with new characters and locations- and they are Dany’s best material. To not give her the solid amount of scenes that she had would not have done justice to the arc. Period.

I understand you dislike Dany, but she is a main character in the series and season 3 was to be her biggest season yet (because of the strong source material). Most of the show watchers love Dany, and it would make no sense to stick with the handful that think like you just because YOU don’t like Dany. To say that she was shoved down our throat is just wrong- it’s not a valid opinion.

70. LaMuerta
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 7:49 am | Permalink

D&D should stop in scenes such as Mhysa. I puked on that one. Just so horrible. Why not just make her a god in the show and make people say Dany’s name? This is white-washing to say the least, but i am pretty sure Dany-fans will find in a way to excuse this torrid scene.

71. Abyss
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink

LaMuerta,

The scene was essentially the same as in the books. And I don’t say that to excuse it in anyway, there is no need to, but if you have a problem with the scene, go and talk to GRRM…

72. Lord Davos
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 8:43 am | Permalink

LaMuerta,

Why dont you tell why that scene is horrible?
    I have no idea.

73. Lord Davos
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Donut,

Why are you angry when they do justice to the books?

74. cosca
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 8:51 am | Permalink

LaMuerta,

How on earth is it white-washing?

75. Leo
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

I like Mhysa, but it feels extremely awkward and anticlimactic as a clip on its own. I like it as the final scene of S3, so I would’ve moved Dany’s scenes from E9 to E10 and have it as one long segment.

76. queenofthorns
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Everyone’s got different opinions about the characters. Personally I tend to be more interested in characters that have long term political impact. To me Arya’s arc is boring and pointless (so far). OTOH, Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Sansa at least have important impacts on the broader political climates of their respective locales. But, do I think they should minimize her screen time? No, I think it’s important to show what’s necessary to tell the story.

I’m looking forward to this feature, though! Always fun to hear the actors discuss their characters.

77. Lord Davos
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 9:53 am | Permalink

queenofthorns,

Hopefully the next books will be stacked with Dany chapters, just for them.
    I suppose they are either a load of misogynists or not aware she is maybe the main character of the series.

78. sati
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:01 am | Permalink

NickTargaryen,

There was a final trailer last year, released around 10th of March.

79. Red Hound
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:13 am | Permalink

queenofthorns: Ignore the delusional Dany haters from r/asoiaf and worg. They skip her chapters on reread and don’t actually know what happens in them.

That’s a very bold comment. You’re basically saying “your opinion is wrong”…while later claiming that people have opinions and that yours is X and Y.

The recent poll saw Dany as one of the most disliked characters, but that’s because all of US skip her chapters and have no idea what is going on? She’s a Targaryen, a daughter of the Mad King, has dragons and is a threat for Westeros. Her chapters in the last book got confusing and boring very fast. You can “hate” Dany without being a hater or an ignorant or a misogynist or whatever excuse people use to attack people who don’t want Daenerys to win the Iron Throne.

EDIT : Lord Davos went and used one of the excuses I was talking about. Hilarious timing.

80. Lord Davos
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Her chapters in the last book got confusing and boring very fast.

Maybe those people arent that good at reading?
    Or maybe intelligence is a problem, calling a book boring says a lot about your preferences. To me they were intriguing because i saw the point of the story, not just assasinations and first world problems.

81. GeekFurious
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I actually did skipped all the Dany chapters and went back at the end and read them all when I was done.

She’s my least favorite character in the books. But I see no reason why she should not be featured prominently in the show. She’s one of the most popular characters.

What raging fanboys and fangirls on fan sites whine about all day isn’t shared by the majority of viewers.

82. Red Hound
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Lord Davos: Maybe those people arent that good at reading?

If everything you got to defend Daenerys’ story is insulting my(Our) intelligence and reading skills…maybe there’s not so much to defend? I didn’t call the book boring, I find her last chapter and plot to be boring, that’s my personal opinion. I mostly dislike everything that happens in Essos, but I greatly enjoy Westeros. I guess I’m not very intelligent and I can’t read very well.

83. Veltigar
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

I’m not a Dany hater. In fact I think she’s one of the most interesting characters in the story and I certainly don’t think she’s Aerys II come again. On the contrary I think she’ll pull her shit together in tWoW and get back on track.

That being said I seriously dislike her chapters in ADWD. Idea wise they are super interesting, but they are badly executed. In general I really like ADWD but there are two arcs (Tyrion and Dany) that I find hard to stomach at times (they do have their good moments).

The parts of their arcs that I really hate can all be attributed to two characters: Penny and Daario. They are without a doubt the worst characters GRRM has ever come up with. Together they manage to ruin the parts of Dany and Tyrion’s arc where they are most heavily featured 50 shades of Daario

On top of that Dany has the added trouble of the goofishness of Slaversbay and Essos as a whole. The worldbuilding there just sucks in comparison to Westeros. And that’s a problem because one of the things that makes ASOIAF so good is the incredible worldbuilding. Yes, it’s limited at times (where’s the legal system?) but it does fit and appears plausible. It breathes and feels organic.

But Essos (and then especially Slaversbay, Qarth and the Dothraki) feels completely artificial and cartoonish. It’s some wheel of time shit, but certainly not ASOIAF. Everything is cartboardthin, over-the-top and just plain moronic there.

And it’s hard to take the storyline serious as a result of that. Especially when you have a clown like Daario running wild. I sincerely hope that the show manages to improve on that. The ideas are there, right for the taking, so as long as the execution is right the show should be able to do a slamdunk (and even improve on the narrative in the novels).

And I have hope for them. The way they handled Daario in season 3 was already a big step in the right direction loosing the blue hair, the bling and the flashy clothes and they seem ardent on keeping on course with their recast because now they have an experienced actor playing Daario (I’m not familiar with his body of work, but people told me that he’s quite qood in Treme) and they got rid of that stupid wig.

Beware the Ides of-not-casting-Mads-Mikkelsen-as-Euron

84. Ser Lucas Tyrell
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Jon,

I hope you don’t have any surprise party. I’d be pissed. Mine is between the 4th and 5th eps but it is a Tuesday, thank the Gods.

85. Lord Davos
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Red Hound,

I didnt mean to insult you in anyway.
    It might just be the case amongst many readers, as I have experienced.
    Its entertainment you know and many read for that. It might be they are not ready for such stories, though you certainly seems.

86. Lord Davos
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Veltigar,

Its interesting, cause Penny and Daario are symbolic characters. They are there to affect Tyrion and Dany.
    The ruin they make is supposed to pay off in wow.
    I dont enjoy these storylines much either, but I aknowledge them.
    Its like a show, Breaking Bad.
    The show is not really enjoyable, but you take pleasure in knowing its high quality.
    I feel the same about Tyrion and Dany, they are like boats in the middle of an ocean, steering towards each other, with whatever strange crew they may use.

87. Valaquen
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

A few more weeks and we should get screener reviews of the first four episodes, right? WiC came out with theirs a week or so before the season premier.

88. Lord Davos
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Valaquen,

About 20 days!

89. cosca
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Valaquen,

We got a WIC review of the premiere 12 days before, and the first official review was Newsweeks, a 6 before the premiere.

90. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

LaMuerta,

Oy vey.

I don’t think this scene was the most effective end for season 3 – I think “You’re home, Jon” would have worked better – but agreed that this happens somewhat similarly to the books, and for that matter, consider her smug meeting with the emissary from Yunkai and the growing unease we see at her god complex. So in that light, this is a troubling scene, not simply a heroic one. I just don’t think it should have ended the episode.

91. Veltigar
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos:
    Veltigar,

The ruin they make is supposed to pay off in wow.
    I dont enjoy these storylines much either, but I aknowledge them.
    Its like a show, Breaking Bad.

If book Daario looked a little more like season 4 show Daario and wasn’t so… obvious I would consider him succesful. And Penny should be a little bit more safy, I mean how can someone like her be that naief?

[reading from the sacred scrolls of the apes] Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil’s pawn. Alone among God’s primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother’s land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death. Only those that cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron can be trusted

92. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Talisa’s ghost: KL has some of my favorite characters and even I have to admit all they did last season was chat, then walk to another place and chat some more.

Of the King’s Landing action, what would you cut? Podrick Payne, wonder schlong? Ok, maybe. Tyrion’s early meeting with Shae? Maybe. But the rest? Hardly. Yes, they chat, but what great chats!

–Every Cersei/Tyrion conversation
    –Cersei’s desire to please her father
    –The devastating “My children” end to “Kissed by Fire”
    –The hysterical Small Council meeting
    –Shae and Varys in Mhysa
    –Varys and the Queen of Thorns “Seduce me, it’s been so long.”
    –Olenna and Tywin
    –Margaery buttering up Joffrey
    –”The next whore I find in your bed, I’ll hang.”
    –Tywin/Tyrion’s heated Mhysa meeting, where Tywin confesses he thought of throwing Tyrion into the sea

Lots of awesomeness there. Just sayin.

93. Shaldun
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Cool to have another fetaurette, I loved them although I would prefer the episodes obviously or TWOW ;) ! But the logic would want to do the recap last time and have the foreshadowing promo this time, no ? Also March 11th isn’t a Sunday, weird HBO could have take profit of True Detective finale next Sunday. Maybe another trailer this day ? They have given trailers at the premiere and another episode, after TD, the next series to occupy the slot is GOT (there is a few weeks between but no regular program), the logic is to promote GOT with a new trailer there but it would be the 3rd trailer already so I don’t know

94. queenofthorns
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Red Hound,

1. Many of the comments above make it clear that people haven’t read the books very closely because they are upset that the show runners “shoved Dany’s storyline down our throats” or “gave her ‘more’ screentime” by doing a pretty much direct (I’d argue simplified) book-to-screen adaptation in S3. If you don’t agree with these people, this comment wasn’t directed at you, so yay!

2. I’ve often heard people who dislike Dany admitting to not reading her chapters. If this doesn’t apply to you, please disregard.

3. Who said anything about getting Dany (or anyone else) on the Iron Throne? As long as she gets to Westeros and interesting things happen, I’ll be happy.

4. I’m honestly not a big fan of ADWD in general. Hopefully the show runners will improve on everyone’s storyline by tightening things up.

95. Ashara D
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Veltigar: I understand that they are symbolic characters, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are failed symbolic characters. Like I said, the ideas are there and they are excellent, but the execution is the problem.

GRRM also needed us as readers to feel the frustration of slogging through the quagmire that is Essos for Danny and the seemingly hopeless situation of Tyrion, and to experience the self-talk of their thoughts at such a time in order to develop their characters for the coming war-to-end-all-wars. Is it sometimes wordy and needlessly detailed? Yes! Are the characters thoughts obsessive and wearingly negative? Yes! No different than the endless dustiness of “The Grapes of Wrath” or the depressive darkness of “Heart of Darkness,” just much longer and more epic to suit the longer and more epic tale. Were those novels poor writing? I personally hated both of them as stories and wouldn’t read them again unless forced to, but I appreciate the craft that made me hate them. Gotta love the journey GRRM is taking us on, not just the outcome.

96. wizardeyes
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Lord Davos,

Breaking bad not enjoyable? Ya’ll must be trippin’

97. Lord Davos
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

I enjoy BB greatly, but its clearly not made for simple entertainment, it does have its trills though.
    It depends what you call enjoyment, if seeing Bryan Cranston acting, then yes.

98. cosca
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Ashara D,

So GRRM is a genius for boring me to death? He truly is a literary master!

In fact, I hope we stay in Mereen forever! Who cares about Westeros, when GRRM has crafted such a brilliantly dull and contemptible locale to wallow in for a 1000 pages?

99. Lord Davos
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

cosca,

Arguably he is genius if he can troll you and so many.

100. Josh
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Just like how the Star Wars prequels were so crummy and disjointed because Lucas was trying to highlight the struggles of Anakin’s upbringing.

101. loco73
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Uh oh! Old Daario is photobombingin that recap!!!! Quick…dracarys! Ohhhhh….pheeeewwww, he’s gone now…burned to ash and dust, let’s recast!

Also, if GRRM is boring everybody to death…simple, don’t read the books! Who is forcing you to do so?

Same for the show! If you find it beneath your exhalted tastebuds, simple, change the chanel or turn off the tv set!

Hey, there is always “Game Of Arms”, that should suit the more sensible souls amongst us!

102. loco73
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

Yeah, I did not enjoy “Breaking Bad” at all! I know plenty of other people who didn’t either, hell there are people in this world who never heard about it! Imagine that…

Why is it a sin not to enjoy “Breaking Bad”?! In fact, I don’t give a shit on “Breaking Bad”…is that allright with you?

103. Ashara D
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

cosca:
    Ashara D,

So GRRM is a genius for boring me to death? He truly is a literary master!

The point is that we won’t know until we see how it fits in the larger story. Joseph Conrad is a “genius” for HoD and it is a highly unpleasant story full of massive run-on sentences and suicide-inducing prose. All I’m saying is be bored and frustrated but don’t diss it until you finish the journey.

104. cosca
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Ashara D,

Finish the journey? It’s never going to be finished. Well, outside of the show that is, and the show is likely going to cut 90% of Mereen in the first place.

loco73,

I enjoy other parts of the books (like 90% of the first 3, 50% of the last 2). I was specifically talking about Essos.

Lord Davos,

I almost wish he was trolling, but I think that he genuinely believes Mereen makes for good drama.

105. wizardeyes
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

loco73,

I honestly can’t tell what you’re trying to say. Are you being sarcastic?

106. Rimshot
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

And there’s the back of my head again taking a drink behind Catelyn as the door closes and ‘that’ song starts. Probably one of my proudest GOT appearances!

107. loco73
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

Let me see if I can explain myself better…I don’t like “Breaking Bad”! In fact I don’t give a shit on the show…

108. Veltigar
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Ashara D: But the fact that you find them so boring, frustrating, etc. means that they ARE well executed because that’s what GRRM is trying to make you feel. We all have those people in our lives at some point–painfully, unbelievably naïve and optimistic; the person who we know is bad for us, yet we continue to be involved with–so GRRM wants us to be uncomfortable with these situations in which the main characters find themselves. If you’re tearing your hair out and saying, “Ugh! Penny is so stupid!” or “Ugh! Why the heck is she so attached to Daario? Dump him already!” then GRRM has been successful in evoking the correct response. Hate, boredom, distain for a character is just as valid a reaction as love.

Man, talk about fangirling. As I expressed in my previous posts (read them again) I have expressed my admiration for the ideas behind the two storylines (Queen failing at ruling aka road to hell is paved with good intentions, Young Queen falling for a bad boy, Tyrion seeing the world from the PoV of another, more optimistic little person, etc.)

But the ideas weren’t properly executed. GRRM went to far and overplayed his hand with those two characters, sacrificing plausibility and probabilty in the process and thus destroying his carefully crafted narrative.

Add to that the idiotic Essosi backdrop, which is rife of faux stereotypes about the East and which doesn’t make sense (really GRRM the Dothraki are a threat? They don’t have armor, don’t have weapons that deal with armor, etc.).

And you get a trainwreck. Or at least a trainwreck to ASOIAF standards. Sadly, most fantasy is at that level (saying this as a fantasy fan), but you expect better from a series that is known for it’s realistic approach to fantasy.

The general who became a slave. The slave who became a gladiator. The gladiator who defied an emperor. Striking story! But now, the people want to know how the story ends and when Mads Mikkelsen will be cast as Euron