Hip hop artists promote Game of Thrones with a new mixtape
By Ours is the Fury on in Marketing, Media.

There may be a new type of music you’ll be associating Game of Thrones with this season. According to the Wall Street Journal and Vibe, HBO has found yet another way of reaching out to audiences in creative ways to promote the show.

This Friday, March 7th, Catch the Throne, a 10-track mixtape of songs featuring hip-hop and Latin-crossover artists inspired by the show is scheduled to be released. Performers such as Big Boi, Common, Wale, Daddy Yankee, and Bodega Bamz will be appearing on the recording.

Rapper Big Boi is a huge fan of the show, and is now reading one of the books because he “wanted to see what happens in the next season,” according to WSJ. His track includes references to the khaleesi and her dragons.

Game of Thrones centers around battles for power and rap is definitely a battle for power,” says hip hop artist Common (who is also an actor, co-starring in the AMC television series Hell on Wheels) in a promo released by Vibe. He has seen some of the first two seasons, and loves GoT‘s complexity. He tells WSJ that his song is about “what it feels like to battle to be top dog, and the things people are willing to do to get there.”

Catch the Throne will be available to fans for free on the Internet.

Ours is the Fury: It looks like Soundcloud will be the release site for the free mixtape. We’ll try to get this info confirmed since the Soundcloud page isn’t active yet.

1. atomixign
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:38 am | Permalink

ugh, why daddy yankee?

2. Hexonx
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Hodor approves.

3. Onion Knight
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I thought Jay-Z and Kanye already did this. :-p

4. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Günther,

Really? Really? I mean, really? You, ser, deserve a ripe spanking.

5. Brendan
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

No. Just…..no. Let us all hope that D&D keep modern hip hop and punk music out of the medieval fantasy show. I thought the music after Jaime loses his sword hand in season 3 was a disaster. It was a risk that just did not work in any way.

6. arden
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Brendan,

It’s not going to be in the episodes? This is simply to promote GoT.

7. ATG
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Nothing they do could possibly top this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL7RWUva7ak

Or even this for that matter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbEhByk4Icg

8. BranFlakes
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Is it just me or the right half of the comment section literally disappeared?
    I’m using Chrome not sure if that’s the problem

9. James
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Brendan:

I loved it, as did many others, although I understand that it was a very love-it-or-hate-it type of thing.

It was music over the credits, not a part of the show itself. That said I’d hope that type of effect was used very sparingly, and definitely never during the show proper.

10. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I loved the Bear and the Maiden Fair’s usage. I totally got the homage of it- it was like the cutaway at the end of An American Werewolf in London. Brilliant and deliberately jarring.

11. Sleepy Hollow
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Daddy Yankee is trash, but Bodega Bamz is fire, looking forward to this.

12. biobi
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

boo this

13. Alan
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Very cool.

I’m not a huge hip hop fan (and while I was an Outkast fan, I’m much more of an Andre 3000 fan), but I think people are failing to appreciate how insane it is that a book series/cable television show now has a tribute album in a genre of music that you wouldn’t expect with real artists. This isn’t some dorks on a youtube video (I don’t mean dorks meanly, but still dorks). That kind of cultural reach is amazing.

If you had asked me before the show launched whether I’d have expected Game of Thrones to take hold in the African-American community, I would have said no. And in the hip-hop community? No. But it’s definitely breaking genre barriers — most of my African-American friends watch it, and most of them without any prodding from me.

It’s a little creepy to me the people that are booing. What’s wrong with this?

14. Lord Snow
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink

ATG,

amen! Love this!

15. Veltigar
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I admire the decision by D&D to let the songs be played by modern bands. That being said the Bear and the Maiden Fair just wasn’t very good on the show (in stark contrast with the Rains of Castamere by the National. Talk about a slamdunk).

I think a more whimsical/lighthearted version would have been beter (especially when compared with what went before). Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6VMSYIXCCY

Their version tried to be loud and boisterous and that was a mistake (+ they could have done a bit better at it. Should have sounded more drunk).

I am curious about SIgur Ross though. I wonder which song they’ll play The obvious choice would be the Last of the Giants but Season 4 is also the best moment to play the Dornishman’s wife.

ATG:

Or even this for that matter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbEhByk4Icg

That first song is really great. Second one as well of course :D

We shall rise and rise again, until lambs become lions and Mads Mikkelsen is cast as Euron

16. Arkash
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I’m a huge fan of this one too :

17. ATG
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Arkash:
    I’m a huge fan of this one too :

Hmm, surprisingly catchy :D

Veltigar,

I continue to admire and support your campaign to get Mads Mikkelsen cast as Euron.

18. Hand of the Kingslayer
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

The Rains of Castamere remains the best GOT band song. It’s too perfect.

19. Rygar
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:35 am | Permalink

ATG,

It’s too bad that Jason Isaacs already won by majority. But please, continue to support.

20. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Veltigar,

Sigur Ros are appearing at the wedding, so it seems likely they’ll be playing the Dornishman’s Wife. I can’t imagine the Last of the Giants being prominently played at the wedding for any reason.

21. Shady_Grady
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

The cultural reach of GoT is amazing. I know a lot of Black GoT fans. Interesting to see if this promo takes the new season to even higher levels.

22. Veltigar
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink
  23. atomixign
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,
    no, but I sure would love to hear ygritte and tormund belt it out before they run into Styr

24. ATG
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Oh we shall, worry not… nothing is lost yet.

25. Veltigar
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

ATG: Hmm, surprisingly catchy :D

Veltigar,

Thanks man :D As long as Euron isn’t casted and there are movie quotes left to use, I’ll keep on going :D

Rygar:
    ATG,

What does Jasons win in the election for best Erik the anvilbreaker got to do with Mads playing Euron? :p

Ours is the Fury:
    Veltigar,

Oh, really? That’s awesome. I just thought that given the bands trackrecord that the Last of the Giants would fit their style better (+the Icelandic connection). It’s nice that they are going for the Dornishman’s wife however :D

Michael: My father is no different than any powerful man, any man with power, like a president or senator.
    Kay Adams: Do you know how naive you sound, Michael? Presidents and senators don’t have Mads Mikkelsen cast as Euron.
    Michael: Oh. Who’s being naive, Kay?

26. Craig
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Maybe we could get some more metal to cover the subject material too?

‘The Sword’ is getting lonely.

27. reza
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

28. Quorin Dayne
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Check out this hip hop site the coli.com game of thrones season 4 thread. the guys in there are hilarious and all sided with diffrent houses lol its about to hit 200 pages and the season hasnt started yet

Onion Knight,

Shady_Grady,

29. Khal_ Rhaego
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Meanwhile… This extremely talented woman makes better GoT inspired music than all of them and is still not famous yet.

You win or you die:

The bear and the maiden fair:

Listen to some more of her tracks. How she doesn’t have a deal yet is astonishing

30. Lord Davos
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

This is to awesome.
    Like how blocbuster movies these days gets tracks from blockbuster artists.
    I also like how much modern music there is related to this show, someone been inspired bu The Great Gatsby.

31. loco73
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

I like Common a lot, a true MC, one of the last great hip hop wordsmiths left in the game! I’d be more than happy to listen to his track! This I think is a perfect example of GoT’s broad and cross cultural appeal, and I more than welcome this project!

As a side comment, to all Canadians on here, as far as I can tell, the Toronto GoT Exhibition has been postponed from its March run to May, and it has also changed venues from the Design Exchange to the Bell Lightbox which is the TIFF headquarters. Below is a link to the official site and announcement:

PS For reference listen to Common’s albums, like “One Day It’ll All Make Sense”, “Like Water For Chocolate”, “Be”, “Finding Forever”, “Resurrection”, “Can I Borrow A Dollar?”. I would also recommend by extension Nas, Mos Def, Talib Kweli (Black Starr), The Roots, dead prez, Gangstarr (RIP Guru) Jedi Mind Tricks, Lupe Fiasco, Pharaohe Monch, Big L (RIP), Royce Da 5’9, Jeru Da Damaja, Brand Nubian, Nappy Roots, Little Brother and of course Biggie and Tupac. There are many more but start with those and you’ll see why hip-hop is one of the most original, creative and important art forms and cultural movements to come out of the US! :-)

32. modor
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

New Barristan Selmy Ian McElhinney interview talks about season 3 and 4

33. Raquel Dodd
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Gosh, I was hoping Dominik Omega was involved with this, but it looks great anyway.

EDIT: Oh, wait, he is! Just caught his name in the credits! Ok, please ignore this…

34. ATG
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Khal_ Rhaego,

Karliene’s work is truly magical, I recommend it to anyone who can appreciate beautiful music. Also she did release her first album and it was pretty much just as brilliant as her GoT related songs.

35. Shady_Grady
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Quorin Dayne:

Onion Knight,

Shady_Grady,

Thanks! Very cool.

36. Absalom Crane
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

ATG:

Yeah, the one by Dominik Omega is pretty awesome.

37. Sister Wrister
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

reza: oh please don’t ruin the show with hip hop . hasn’t it already ruined our ears??

And here I thought YOU were a rapper… Must just be a producer

38. zaprowsdower
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Not the biggest Wale fan but I love Big Boi and Common. This is awesome.

Alan,

Why wouldn’t you think that Black folks wouldn’t like the show? Or that you need to prod your Black friends to watch? PoC fans of fantasy and science fiction really aren’t the unicorns that people like to pretend we are.

39. TheMannis
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Ummmmm

40. Reza
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Sister Wrister: reza

LOL! I get that a lot!

41. KG
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I’ll pass, thanks.

Call me when you get Manowar :P

42. Renly's Peach
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

No thank you. You keep this one, HBO.

And I better not get any of this bullshit as actual music during the credits. I don’t want a “hip-hop” interpretation of The Bear and the Maiden Fair.

43. Ser Lucas Tyrell
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

zaprowsdower:

Alan,

Totally agree. I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by that but it looks like he thought that due to GoT’s complex and intelligent plot, black people, who still carry the effing stupid reputation of being culturally inferior, wouldn’t be interested on it.

Interesting though, I’ve been trying to push ASOIAF to my family for quite some time and the only one who was slightly interested was my 7-year-old black cousin (he began to talk about ships and battles, I got the King’s Lalnding map and explained to him how the Blackwater was planned. Then we watched the whole video on YouTube, his eyes gleaming *-*, and we stopped there). Coz is so proud!

44. GeekFurious
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Now that hip-hop artists are promoting GOT, it may finally get popular.

45. Renly's Peach
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

The show is already popular. This is gonna get no one new.

46. KG
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

I’m a big fan of The Sword, myself.

Craig:
    Maybe we could get some more metal to cover the subject material too?

‘The Sword’ is getting lonely.

47. WildSeed
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Alan,

The appeal is global and demonstrated in most genre ( television, arts/music/print).
    That the appeal extends beyond class or ethnicity is a no brainer. Adam Levine
    & Wiz Kalifa were not even on my radar, until that season two Payphone Parody
    was listened to, here. Now I know it by heart. As a strictly classic Jazz listener,
    I am both pleased and grateful for the mass appeal of the show and author.

48. WildSeed
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

zaprowsdower,

umm, what ? I think you read his comments in a rush. I believe he is surprised
    by the negative feedback viewed from this comment thread. I read a couple
    of “boos” . The distinction was merely to point out easy acceptance of a not-
    so-easily -digestible -show and book. I’m truly surprised to learn of the
    continuing momentum that the media has offered. Some shows , even good
    ones, lose interest as they are quickly replaced by the next new thing.

49. Tiggs
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

I guess we broke even in the comments, but let’s face it some GoT sites/private fandoms are somewhat racist re: commentary, posts etc and that can make a person of color feel rather uncomfortable…Been a lover of the show/series for three years
    Who knows why some people are the way they are…But I do think this is a great move!

50. Zaprowsdower
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 12:24 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

Alan:

This is the part of the comment I was referring to. I was not in a rush when I read it. Just wondering what about the book series and show that would have made him think that it wouldn’t take hold in those communities.

51. WildSeed
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Zaprowsdower,

I see your point. For the record it’s never a good thing to generalize…….unless
    it’s a direct correlation to facts obtained by credible research. Whenever I’m
    confronted by naysayers, I just forward the data. As for personal if limited
    observation, that pretty much depends on the people and environment you tend to
    interact with. My guess is Alan meant the latter, but he did stretch the point to
    include demographics which negated that. It was personal observation, only.
    Of course much could be avoided by prefacing a statement by admitting that,
    initially. You can always fall back on your ignorance of the subject as a whole,
    and reduce the likelihood that anyone reading your comments would be offended.

You did right to question what was written, and in retrospect I believe I may have
    been guilty of reading fast. Apologies that I misunderstood your intent.

The internet is a place where comments and buzzwords could easily inflame or
    become misunderstood. In an effort to be spontaneous in thought, we often
    cheat ourselves out of being understood. Worse, if many of those reading are
    either unfamiliar with the poster or the concept. Coming from an immigrant family,
    I’ve been all all over the linguistic map. It so happens that the poster, if I’m correct
    here, is a long time visitor that hasn’t been around for some time. I believe I
    recognized his style of writing, so I took the risk of speaking up I support. Others
    here have intervened on my behalf, when happened to be floundering on some
    arbitrary point. Learned my lesson too, when it came to sensitive social subjects.
    Some things would be better spoken in a Forum where elaboration is more common.

52. Joshua Atreides
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 10:23 am | Permalink

KG:
    I’m a big fan of The Sword, myself.

Me too! I’m a Sword swallower through and through.

53. John G. Simley
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Alan,

As a black man who grow up around Hip Hop and had the fortune to have a Jazz musician for a father to add musical diversity to my home, I understand your point. However as that same man who has watch the disgusting slide that has become hip hop I vigorously add my Boooooo to this. Same goes to hard Rock covers of the shows soundtrack at the end credits. There are some unusual musical blends that work wonderfully in the proper historical or genre settings. The group Afro-Celt sound system in the movie Gangs of New York is a perfect example. But Hip Hop and the orchestral overtones of GoT sounds like a disaster to me.

54. KG
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Hahaha all righty then!

I’m mad though; they were in town a few months ago, and none of my useless friends wanted to go :(

55. Brendan
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I know this is a promo but I am just afraid of another ‘Bear and the Maiden Fair’ atrocity. I love the work Ramin Djawadi does. His music perfectly complements the medieval fantasy setting of he show and I would rather they stick with what works. Let’s just hope the episode 303 end credit music was a one-time experiment gone wrong.

56. Brendan
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach,

Agreed.

57. WildSeed
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

John G. Simley,

I’ll add my + 1 to this. The clash of music composition becomes a clunky concept that if not performed eloquently, becomes a failed vehicle ( on a mass scale ). Some people will relate to it, some won’t. I’m not a overall fan of Rap or Hip Hop or Acid Rock( I have too many visions of Ted Nugent at the helm ), but several HH CDs I’ve purchased of late has given me pause. On the other hand, I guess I enjoy the “Roots” because of their clever mix of Jazz and Hip Hop. When done well, the passion behind the music shines through. For some artists, their intelligent approach often yields an extraordinary product. One cannot be closed minded when well done orchestral
    versions of Sting’s ” Roxanne ” or Joni Mitchell’s works adapted for Jazz format, connects with wider audience approval.

Whatever the course, music and celebration has historically been recognised as
    an evolving form of expression. Every generation loses a little respect for the
    origins of it, because they focus on a singular group or new formed genre. I love
    Folk Music that represent our past and changing cultures, and appreciate the
    new forms it generates. As always, the listener decides if that becomes a natural
    progression or a failed attempt.

I’ll also admit to being non plussed not the mix tape project, as I’d passed up on
    other projects. Over the top praises by general public might peak my curiosity,
    though.

58. WildSeed
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach,

I’m not sure if HBO reached mass appeal with Snoop Doggs’s ” True Blood ”
    project, but it did receive some buzz with the media. Perhaps that’s all there
    is to this, to promote the show. I cannot argue against that intent, it’s just
    business. Whether my personal likes or dislikes counts as significant…….
    I’ll just tune in to survey reports to pass judgement.

I prefer composer Djawdi’s works compared to the ” the Bear and the Maiden Fair”
    rock version, but it did resonate with a select audience. I’m not sure how that
    experiment turned out, overall.

edit: meant to add Brendan’s comment also.

59. Skipjack
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

There’s a lot of disappointing reactions here. God forbid you share the show with hip-hop enthusiasts, or anyone else not your type. It’s just a mix tape.

Themes like jockeying for status and power, sex- even freaky sex, and taking revenge are common throughout modern storytelling, including hip hop. Frankly, ASOIAF wallows in seedy violence, like one long interwoven murder ballad, Stagger Lee in tapestry. I think it’s funny when anyone discounts the influence of black culture in the US, even on George RR Martin. Even the same story just wouldn’t be the same stories written anywhere else.

60. Valyrian Eyes
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I swear this black/white thing in this fandom has reached new levels of stupidity. People are ACTUALLY discussing the probability of someone liking or not a tv show because of their skin color

61. Hodor Troll
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 4:01 am | Permalink

The rains of castamere is such an awesome song that I actually bought it off itunes.
    Hand of the Kingslayer,

62. Khal_ Rhaego
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 4:32 am | Permalink

Zaprowsdower,

Excellent Mst3k reference with your name :)

Veltigar,

Cast* …. casted is not a word.

1. […] 1 2Negl, I hesitated posting about the Barclays screening because I want the least amount of people […]

2. […] a day after fans learned hip hop artists will be releasing a mixtape of Game of Thrones-inspired music,  even more details about “Catch the Throne”  have been provided, courtesy of […]

3. […] singer, Sha'anan Streett, says “Hearing hip hop from Israelis is something exceptional for American audiences. Popularity abroad is a new […]